Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Burnley (a) - League - 12th October 2002

Reports and reaction from the 2002-03 season as Walsall finished 17th in Division 1
Andy
UTS Regular

Burnley (a) - League - 12th October 2002

Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:21 pm

By WarsawSaddler (217.197.160.31) on Saturday, October 12, 2002 - 09:32 pm: Edit

At least England won. We seemed as good as defeats ever are judging by the commentary. I am surprised I am starting the thread at this time of day. Where is everybody? I was looking for comment especially about Junior or Zdrilic, and Jorge.

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.171) on Saturday, October 12, 2002 - 09:57 pm: Edit

Warsaw, I think they're all probably still up at The Cricket Club getting wrecked - I heard it's just next door to the Burnley ground.

Cannock was there and he's posted a report over on "thesaddlersfc.tk" if you're interested.

Sounded from Radio WM commentary, and confirmed by Cannock I think, that blame for the defeat rests on the forwards - quite a few chances went begging today - but overall the performance was good again, so at least we are putting together a consistent run of good performances.

Keeping fingers crossed that Martin's injury won't keep him out, 'cos I'm sure that keeping a settled side has helped us to play better lately.

By Neil Ravenscroft (194.117.133.182) on Saturday, October 12, 2002 - 10:01 pm: Edit

Geoff, don't mention the site gratuiously, please, it's annoying some people! Mind you, don't know why. I come here for chat, but go there for news.

By geoff (195.92.168.173) on Saturday, October 12, 2002 - 10:29 pm: Edit

Neil was that graciously or gratuitously, mate ? I'm not with you, don't quite see the problem. I'm same as you as regards the news and the messages.
Can you enlighten me on a separate thread from this, please.

By SheffieldSaddler (195.93.33.13) on Saturday, October 12, 2002 - 10:48 pm: Edit

Deserved something from todays performance thats for sure. I wish Zdrillic would have been able to play as I think he would have made a big difference today. Still think Leitao and Zdrillic are the only strikers we have or will score week in week out. Still not impressed with Junior thats for sure, perhaps he needs more time but I still believe he hasnt got it for this division, hope he proves me wrong.
O'Connor going off was a big difference, Martinez, sorry but I am not impressed with him.
Overall, another decent performance. But a few players still I think are not good enough for this division and that was the difference today.

By cannock (194.117.133.182) on Saturday, October 12, 2002 - 11:06 pm: Edit

Totally agree Sheff. I am puzzled by Junior. He is very unpredictable, very left footed but can produce moments of sublime magic. However, this is not enough to make him a good first division striker as he wastes so many chances and also concedes a lot of possession. His "work ethic" is non too great either.

The front two to start the match where possible must be Jorge/Zdrilic and failing this then Jorge/Birch. However, Jorge was guilty of missing 2 clear cut chances which should have won the game. If he had scored with his one on one after the first 10 minutes i think we would have gone on to win the game at a canter. His second blatent miss to equalise was a "certainty" from 6 yards out with 10 minutes to go but he failed to make any contact on the ball at all.

As for Martinez, simply put, he is not a first division player.

A good performance by the boys though today and if we continue in this manner but convert our chances we will be mid table easily come the end of the season

By Paul G (62.30.112.1) on Saturday, October 12, 2002 - 11:30 pm: Edit

If Jorge had scored with the early chance then the incident which injured Mart minutes later would not have happened. For me thats what changed the game. Martinez is not half of the player O Conner (or even Sonner) is and we started to lose the midfield from that moment on.

Still we created chances even though the Burnley defence was strong. If only Birch had made a proper connection to Leitao's flick and we could have had another 94th minute party. Still nice to see him get off the mark and you have to say we looked much more likely to score after he replaced Junior. Perhaps we should have signed Senior because I can't see this guy cutting it at division 1 level (que remarks about waiting for 10 games....).

Praise for Ziggy today who was everywhere on the left side of the pitch. He always seemed to want the ball and showed an urgency that was missing elsewhere. Too many players had average games today and no one really had a great game. Fair result and we need to beat Preston next week.

By Warwick Saddler (195.92.168.172) on Saturday, October 12, 2002 - 11:37 pm: Edit

Performance wasn't as good as Derby away last week but this was definitely a game we should've got something from. Leitao missed a complete sitter, Junior was shite again. Don't think he's going to make the grade, like a few peeps have already said. When's Zdrilic going to be back, anyone know?? Positives...Ziggy is miles better than he was last season, Roper looked solid again in defence, Corica gave 110% as usual. I don't think we played great but if the missed chances had been converted we could quite easily have won this game against a VERY average Burnley side.

By Ziggy fan (62.30.112.1) on Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 08:33 am: Edit

I can't believe it, praise for Zigor - wow, yippee, at last! Glad you can now see his quality!

By Don Rogers (213.122.16.31) on Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 11:20 am: Edit

Hallelulah brethren, is the time is upon us when the sublime talents of Zigor are acclaimed by the masses?? Well, me, Warwick and Ziggyfan anyway. It is so obvious that he is so at ease on the ball but I have to admit has made a teeny few mistakes in the past. Mind you, if a few more players were a bit more willing to move and look for the ball a bit more, things might have been better! Anyway, lets hope for all our sakes that he continues in the same vein and it rubs off on everyone else!! What's "work ethic" in Spanish? Perhaps he can shout it at everyone. I still haven't read why he took the Derby penalty. Anyone know?

By Shifnalsaddler (212.140.118.22) on Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 11:44 am: Edit

Strange how people see the game differently. I thought Zigor was a massive weakness yesterday.
He constantly went AWOL and without Wrack to protect him we were ripped apart down our left side.
Attack after attack from Burnley came down our left flank. It seemed obvious to me that they knew our weakness and were out to exploit it, just as Reading, Ipswich and Wolves in particular did earlier.
Well done to Burnley for getting the tactics right, but why did CL take Wrack away from Aranalde. We've looked solid there lately, the Rotherham game apart, and yesterday we were a shambles.
He might be at ease on the ball, he does work hard, but he can't cope when players run at him, and he wanders about too much and leaves big gaps which others have to cover. He needs Wrack or someone to protect him.

All in all we weren't too bad yesterday, but there were points available and for the second week running we threw them away.

I was pleased Birch scored. If Zdrillic remains unfit, surely GB has to start ahead of Junior.

By Ziggy fan (194.117.133.196) on Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 12:17 pm: Edit

According to the interview in The Pink with Ziggy, He's loving playing in England, and enjoys the fact that the game is played at a faster pace than Spain and that there are so many games to play. As for the penalty apparently he used to take them for Logrones. Lee was happy to let him take the pen as Ziggy was playing well and felt confident taking it.

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.169) on Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 02:53 pm: Edit

Also, post-match reports said Zigor had been practising penalties in training in the week before the Derby match. I think he scared most of us when he put the ball on the spot, but he showed great bottle, kept his nerve and stuffed it low into the net like a veteran, so fair play to 'im.

By cannock (194.117.133.182) on Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 04:45 pm: Edit

As i have posted elsewhere Shif, Zigor is great going forwards but needs someone to cover him. That someone is Wrack. The pair have played well together over the last few weeks with Wracky offering Zigor both the protection and cover he needs to get forward. Corica does not provide the same cover that Zigor's game needs. Why on earth Lee changed Wrack and Corica to the opposite flanks for the Burnley game just escapes me.

By Shifnalsaddler (212.140.124.55) on Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 05:13 pm: Edit

Cannock, it worried as soon as I noticed, after a couple of minutes or so. Before long it was clear it wasn't working and loads of attacks were coming from our left. I'm disappointed we didn't change it.
I would be interested to know why it was done.
Corica caused lots of problems for Burnley around their penalty area, but he doesn't have the sort of game to protect a dodgy full back against a good team.

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.163) on Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 06:23 pm: Edit

Cannock's right, Zigor is encouraged to get forward, he does that very well, but he can't be expected to be in defensive positions at the same time. If we fans can see this, as you said you did yesterday Shifnal, surely CL should see it and get some instructions onto the pitch to cover Zigor's back. Better still, deal with this in training, so that in a match situation, when Zigor bombs down the left wing, someone (Wrack does it well as Cannock has said) slots in behind him for support/cover.

I don't think this is rocket science, surely professional footballers can be trained to observe these situations and respond accordingly.

By Ziggy fan (62.30.112.1) on Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 06:38 pm: Edit

I think Lee does realise this from what I have read but do the players always realise it? At least some fans are aware that Ziggy cannot be in two places at once. I think some folk think he is superman and can dash back into a defensive position immediately the attack breaks down. It's a nice change to read some constructive comments about Ziggy instead of people just getting on his back all the time.

By Ziggy Stardust (195.93.49.13) on Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 07:33 pm: Edit

As some people have pointed out can everyone stop giving me hassle!!

Defensive left back, attacking left defender, international 70's rock icon!!

I'm a very busy man who doesn't get the credit i deserve!!

By cat3 (203.198.2.3) on Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 08:07 pm: Edit

We played acceptable with Burnley, a lost is no doubted a bit hard to shallow. But since we had little to take advantage of in the 90 minutes matchup, what can we do about in the standard we are against a better side.

We should practice passing the ball quickly in training and the guys should move the momentum forward with onside deliberate plays. We are not making plays (not coherent enough to do so) and the faster the ball is passed around, the better we open up the field and the higher the chance we score.

By pardon me (195.92.168.172) on Monday, October 14, 2002 - 01:38 am: Edit

Couldnt of put it beter meself

By JPD (203.18.34.5) on Monday, October 14, 2002 - 04:04 am: Edit

Well Warwick, if you're so smart, lets see you put all your posts on here in Chinese!

By Temporary Melbourne Saddler (144.132.80.3) on Monday, October 14, 2002 - 07:21 am: Edit

Well said, although to be fair, maybe pardon me didn't know cat3 was from Hong Kong.

Although, if pardon me has English as a first language, he should be able to spot 4 (arguably 5) grammar or spelling errors in his 6 word post.

On the other hand, he may have done them deliberately for comic effect.

Answers on a post card please to Under 8s, TISWAS, ATV Television Centre, Birmingham B1 2JP. If you don't have a postcard, then just stick down the flap of an envelope and ...

By SheffieldSaddler (194.202.181.189) on Monday, October 14, 2002 - 08:57 am: Edit

Love that quote "Ziggy is miles better than he was last season". It wouldnt take a lot really would it? He doesnt know what the word position means, he doesnt know what the word defend means and he doesnt know what the word pass means. Pretty awful considering hes a defender isnt it?

By popperpancake (195.224.209.182) on Monday, October 14, 2002 - 11:03 am: Edit

I'm not gonna get back into all this again...but i will just say this! CL must be happy(ish) with aranalde. He must be happy(ish) with his positional play. After all he's made no serious attempts to replace him. I thought (amazing that he wasn't) zigor was gonna get blamed for the second derby goal last week as he was playing very high up the pitch in the second half and christie got in down that side, but it was obvious CL has asked him to play that way. I also though if christie's first goal (fine goal that it was) had occured down the left hand side then SS et al would have said why did zigor (or as it was DB) allow the striker to turn in onto his favoured foot, progress 10 yds and shoot? (sounds like a famialiar criticism of ZA to me) CL asks his fullbacks to push players inside....this is there for all to see.

By Geordiesaddler (213.205.138.250) on Monday, October 14, 2002 - 11:10 am: Edit

Bazeley was superb on Saturday, Aranalde was Cr@p, that was there for all to see.

By popperpancake (195.224.209.75) on Monday, October 14, 2002 - 04:04 pm: Edit

Apart from CL i suspect. Did he see?

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.164) on Monday, October 14, 2002 - 09:47 pm: Edit

Temporary Melbourne,

You are indeed a wise man.

No, I didn't know.

Yes, all the errors were deliberate.

I am certainly not under 8 but feel very childish and foolish now.

I am truly sorry. I promise not to do this again - I sometimes forget that this amazing Internet spans the globe. Forgive me TMS and of course Cat3 for this indiscretion.

Humble, humble, ever so humble etc. etc.

By GertrudeFripXIILemonCurdMarketingboard (194.117.133.180) on Monday, October 14, 2002 - 10:22 pm: Edit

Geoff, how are we to make a judgements on your posts if you dont keep a consistent name?

By Not Saying (203.41.31.8) on Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 01:01 am: Edit

Yes, stop it at once.

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.166) on Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 01:13 am: Edit

Don't worry, after this embarrassment it's well and truly bloody stopped ! Talk about an own goal !!

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.166) on Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 01:57 am: Edit

So GertrudeFripXIILemonCurdMarketingBoard, you question me for using a different name, which is a thing I have done only this once ( for fun, though I admit it did back-fire on me rather more than a little! - 'kin 'ell ).

I put it to you, Gertrude etc ... or shall I call you CartoonTaxManThingy, LongWindedSaddler, ThatLittleCartoonTaxManThingy, or even simply MikeT, that you are more guilty than me of this heinous crime.

Mike T, how do you plead ??

Just a bit of fun, good being an auditor isn't it ?

By Gertrude and the taxmen (194.117.133.180) on Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 08:27 am: Edit

Geoff, if you go to the search page of this message board and copy in your IP address and search under names of author you will find that your IP address brings up the names of Harry, Phil G, Scotty, Dave Gittins, Stu and Pelsall Saddler.

I suggest you and Mike T. take the fifth.

By Neil Ravenscroft (62.172.127.2) on Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 08:56 am: Edit

Nice try, but the IP addresses don't always work that way. As it happens, I know Dave Gittins is real, as I used to work with his bro.

By Neil Ravenscroft (62.172.127.2) on Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 08:58 am: Edit

In fact, if you notice, my IP address is different in the first and last posts I made on this thread!

Maybe we are all figments of our own imaginations? Spooky.

By Descartes (194.117.133.180) on Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 09:20 am: Edit

Thats the most stupid thing i've ever read...I like your Dame Edna impression though.

By Temporary Melbourne Housewife (62.172.127.2) on Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 10:00 am: Edit

My purple wig arrives next week.

By Ian Gittins (213.165.1.130) on Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 11:40 am: Edit

Eh? Neil, when did I work with you? I know there are some black holes in my memory, but even so...

By Neil Ravenscroft (62.172.127.2) on Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 12:56 pm: Edit

I was presuming from something Dave said that Steve Gittins was another sibling and he I did used to work with.

By Ian Gittins (213.165.1.130) on Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 02:44 pm: Edit

Not unless my mom isn't telling us something. And she doesn't seem that sort.

By Dave Gittins (195.92.168.166) on Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 09:16 pm: Edit

I'm sure I would remember if I had another brother! And I don't remember ever mentioning a Steve.

By Neil Ravenscroft (194.117.133.182) on Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 09:45 pm: Edit

I'm confused now! Is there a Steve Gittins out there who used to work for Sandwell?

By Mom (203.41.31.8) on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 12:23 am: Edit

Ian, Dave, there is something I have been meaning to talk to you about.

By Ian Gittins (213.165.1.130) on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 12:30 pm: Edit

Mom, shurrup! Yow'm embarrassing us!

By Mike T. (194.117.133.180) on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 06:35 pm: Edit

Geoff - If you knew what a computer illiterate I am you would not accuse me of using different names. It takes me hours to type on as Mike T. - I could not begin as Gertrude wotsit etc. My 17 year old has to explain URLs and IP addresses. Plse rest assured if I appear on this board it will only ever be as Mike T. I was considering MR. T. but it conjures up chest wigs and too much gold jewellery.

By Dan T (194.117.133.180) on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 06:44 pm: Edit

Dear god it took me dad half an hour to type that, and u accuse him of using different usernames, we'd be here all week! deary me, looks like the IP addresses are going through the net server which would explain why the different posters have the same IP addresses. Different servers may be used dependant on site traffic which would explain why the same poster may have differing IP addresses, i suggest Mr Whiting that before you accuse someone you understand how the system works!

Dan T (yes the 17 yr old son, our IP address may be the same :P)

By GOD (217.35.145.41) on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 06:52 pm: Edit

I'm not bloody being held responsible for anything anymore so there.

By Elena T (194.117.133.180) on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 06:54 pm: Edit

Deary me.... we have spawned an anorak. I do apologise

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.174) on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 01:24 am: Edit

Mike T, Dan T, please, you'll see in my post I did say it was just a bit of fun, after Gertrude **** whatsisname had a go at me for using different names. Don't take me seriously please, that's the last thing I intended guys. It was just a funny little theory that, as it happens, obviously turned out to be wrong, thanks to my total computer-illiteracy .

No offence meant or taken I assure you, I hope it's the same with you.

While we're on this Dan T., could you please run that bit about the "IP addresses going through the net servers" by me again, so I might understand this great world-wide-web a little better (fat chance!). Seems I understand this amazing medium about as well as your dad says HE does.

Mike and Dan, I hope we can both laugh about this mates, 'cos that's all I intended.

By High T (213.2.51.198) on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 10:17 am: Edit

Scones anyone?

By Ice T (217.40.195.66) on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 04:47 pm: Edit

Scone up yo ass, mofo!

By Mr T (144.254.105.19) on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 04:58 pm: Edit

Ain't eatin no damn scone. Crazy fool!

By T? (194.117.133.180) on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 05:00 pm: Edit

dash of milk, no sugar. Ta.

By teepee (213.122.175.5) on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 05:11 pm: Edit

this tastes like p***

By t ee hee (213.122.175.5) on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 05:12 pm: Edit

thats funny

By Maggie T (213.2.51.198) on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 05:40 pm: Edit

I am senile

By Dennis T (217.39.46.126) on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 07:19 pm: Edit

I am shitfaced

By Mark T (203.97.2.243) on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 11:45 pm: Edit

I am lost

By Em tee (195.92.168.174) on Friday, October 18, 2002 - 01:08 am: Edit

I am hungry

By Geoff T (203.97.2.243) on Friday, October 18, 2002 - 01:22 am: Edit

I am a pseudonym

By Golf Tee (194.117.133.180) on Friday, October 18, 2002 - 08:10 am: Edit

I am made of plastic and can't think of anything witty.

By T Bone (194.9.188.3) on Friday, October 18, 2002 - 09:37 am: Edit

eet me em tee

Well, I had to get a palindrome in there!

By T Total (203.18.34.5) on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 03:42 am: Edit

Albert King and now T Bone Walker - Shifnal will be extatic

By Shifnalsaddler (213.1.45.2) on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 06:17 pm: Edit

T Bone Walker? Great. We had a pretty Stormy Monday in Shropshire yesterday as well.

By M.T. (203.41.31.8) on Wednesday, October 23, 2002 - 12:21 am: Edit

Running On.

Return to 2002-03 Season