Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Notts Forest (h) - League - 24th August 2002

Reports and reaction from the 2002-03 season as Walsall finished 17th in Division 1
Andy
UTS Regular

Notts Forest (h) - League - 24th August 2002

Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:18 pm

Walsall 2 Forest 1
Sonner (pen) 25
Wrack (90)

WALSALL: Walker , Ward , Aranalde , Bazeley , Roper , Hay , Corica (Martinez 88) , Sonner , Leitao , Wrack , Birch (Zdrilic 81)
Subs not used: Barras , Simpson , Herivelto
Bookings: Corica 30, Sonner 79

Striker Darren Wrack left it late to snatch victory for Walsall at the Bescot Stadium after a strong Nottingham Forest comeback.

In a high-tempo affair, the Saddlers looked to have been denied the win when David Prutton cancelled out Danny Sonner's penalty seven minutes from time. But they refused to let-up and a minute into injury time Walsall grabbed their reward when Wrack side-footed home from close range.

Walsall were quick into their stride and after just 10 seconds they were denied an opener by the narrowest of margins. From a corner, Fitzroy Simpson curled the flag-kick into the box and having leaped highest to head powerfully at goal, Zigor Aranalde saw his effort cannon off the woodwork.

Six minutes later Aranalde was involved again, providing an inch-perfect cross for Gary Birch to volley just wide. Forest survived the early onslaught and with 12 minutes gone they went close when Harewood fired a stinging 25-yard shot inches over the bar.

But it was the Saddlers who continued to force the pace and after 23 minutes they gained their reward when Sonner fired home the opener from the penalty spot. Jon Olav Hjelde was ruled to have handled the ball on the line and to make matters worse for Forest he was sent off.

The Saddlers picked up where they had left off at the start of the second half and within two minutes they were back on the front foot as first Wrack and then Birch drilled efforts just wide. But Forest's Johnson was unlucky not to equalise when his curling effort was tipped round the post by goalkeeper James Walker.

With seven minutes left Forest seemed to have bought a lifeline as Prutton blasted a scorching shot from 25-yards that deflected home off an onrushing defender. But in the first minute of injury time justice was done for Walsall as Wrack latched on to Leitao's cross to slam home the winner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Cannock on Saturday, August 24, 2002 - 09:23 pm: Edit

Delighted with the three points but my word how we nearly threw it away. I thought Simmo made a big difference in the middle of the pitch and surely there must be some kind of deal we can do to keep him. Fortunately with the so called transfer window he should be with us until at least christmas. Man of the match for me was once again Corica with another steady performance from Sonner. Roll on Monday.
PS I sat right in front of you Shifnal Saddler ( i found it quite amusing when your mate referred to you by your internet name after your outburst at Prutton - i was the good looking one that stomped off 5min before the end in a temper ) and before you respond Down Under Saddler, Yes, i have a suspect temperament and get very exciteable or very depressed. Its all or nothing.

By Kevthesaddler on Saturday, August 24, 2002 - 10:49 pm: Edit

Also delighted with three points. I thought forest played really well but on chances we deserved to win. A couple of people behind me were givin Wrack stick all game, especially when he missed his two chances. I admit he should have atleast hit the target with his first but he doesnt get enough credit for his busting runs & how he gets into goalscoring positions.
though Zigor had a much better game, first half his long passing was excellent(still dont think we can depend on him tho). At the moment we lack that killer pass in attack, nice neat passing in the build up but not the desisive pass. I'm deaperate for Jorge to score, hes had three games with not really a clear cut chance, I just hope the boo boys dont get on his back cause I know how fickle some of you can be.
Overall very happy with todays results, just hope Stuart Houston stops the defence dropping to deep which we tended to do today.
Just a work for Fizroy Simpson who was my Fav player before he left and I'm delighted to have him back

By Neil Ravenscroft on Sunday, August 25, 2002 - 09:18 am: Edit

I'll add a word for Sonner, who I thought was superb again. I also like the fact that we can bring on someone like Martinez from the bench who can produce two passes of the quality he did in the build up to the winner.

Ref was quite good too!

By Dave Hawkes on Sunday, August 25, 2002 - 10:27 am: Edit

A decent performance in the end, and the first 30 minutes were superb. But we were bloody lucky to win it in the end. Shame on all those who poured out before we won it, why do people do that? If we're getting tonked, then I'll admit I've left early, but blimey, it was 1-1 and anyone could have won it!

Simpson did well, but I'll be glad when O'Connor is back. The midfield tends to fall apart at times and stand still, whereas O'Connor keeps them in shape and gets them moving.

Sonner is quality, mainly due to the fact he can pass with either foot. Not impressed by Wracky again. The fact he scored the winner doesn't hide the fact that he missed a sitter yet again and he has to work on his finishing if he's going to get in those positions.

Jorge looked painfully slow and lost yesterday. Birch looks OK down the right, and Zigor gets even better going forward. I'd stick him on the bloody wing if we only had a decent left back to cover for him.

Playing like we did yesterday is fine againt ten men, and a side who are fast but only have one big striker in Harewood (who was taken off, thankfully) but against better sides we will get punished. More work needs doing on keeping the midfield in shape and getting people to move off the ball rather than stand still.

The pitch looked wonderfull, and the new stand makes the ground seem smarter. The ref was good, and it was nice to see us get an penalty, a welcome 3 points but unless we improve the forward line I think we'll stay where we are now, 17th in the table, which would suit me just fine.

By Stu on Sunday, August 25, 2002 - 11:26 am: Edit

Why do we make such hard work of finishing off games? Why do we seem to find it so easy to waste so many chances or attacking opportunities?

A solid performance, bar a 15minute period in the 2nd half when Forest had too much time on the ball. We passed it well, we created a number of good attacking opportunities only to deliver a poor final ball, a poor pass or want one touch too many. But, at least we created those opportunities and hopefully we will become more ruthless as times goes on.

A thoroughly deserved 3 points and hopefully we can get something at a Zamora-less Brighton on Monday!

By Paul G on Sunday, August 25, 2002 - 12:22 pm: Edit

At least Wrack keeps going and does not hide even when things are going badly. Terrible miss early in the 2nd half but he still got there for the winner and he was back helping Zigor all match in front of a crowd who were calling for Herivleto from about the 20th minute.

Corica looks like he could be a 20 goal a season midfielder if he could improve his chances to goals ratio. Hay looked unsure still but all the other new signings are now settling in well.

Forest are a delight to watch with their crisp passing game but you have to feel they need to be a bit more physical at times. They have no real threat from set pieces and its not hard to see why they don't win enough games to threaten the play off positions. They certainly don't look like a side who can score 4 in a game and you have to wonder just how bad sheff weds are this season. Although we struggled at times in this match already I feel there are several teams who are going to be much poorer than we are.

By cat3 on Sunday, August 25, 2002 - 01:31 pm: Edit

A great performance!!! We are on a roll!!! I know we can do this... We got a strong team all round, not a thing needs to be structuralize... If Zil is back, we will score more goals persumably... Go Go Sads!!! Here we go, on a roll!!!

By Shifnalsaddler on Sunday, August 25, 2002 - 05:08 pm: Edit

Ah, Cannock, you'll have to say hello next week mate. The good looking one you say? Hmmm, I suppose there is at least one in Cannock then.
Prutton is just a player that winds me up, we've had previous with him, he's a dirty sod, why do players like him get away with it so often?

As for Wrack, I think the criticism of him was a bit harsh, as Paul G says he doesn't hide, and always helps the fullback. That Marc Louis Jean bloke (is that his name?) has caused us huge problems in the past, and yesterday he didn't, so Wrack did well in that respect. And Zigor had his least awful game of the season so far, and maybe Wrack played a part in that too. I know if I was a full back, he's the sort of player I'd like in front of me, and Herivelto isn't. It was a bad miss though, but he wasn't the only guilty one in that respect.

Simpson impressed me, I think we should double his wages.

By Geordiesaddler on Sunday, August 25, 2002 - 05:27 pm: Edit

We were'nt singing anymore
But when the trees fell
There there a sound, surely?

By Geoffrey Whiting on Sunday, August 25, 2002 - 05:49 pm: Edit

Not a bad game against Forest, though we did make it rather harder work than necessary by missing so many chances - mind you their keeper made some decent stops, aided by his defenders on occasions.
Downside, Jorge was out of it again most of the time, although looking at TV this morning, it was his feeble mis-hit cross cum shot that totally fooled the keeper and defence and ended up on Wracky's toes for the winner. Well done Jorge, keep mis-kicking 'em like that and we might forgive you. Talking about feeble mis-hit shots, why do we seem to have a greater percentage of these than other teams, so often we don't get full force and power into shots, let alone accuracy. We've got to improve in this area, think and respond a bit quicker around the box, if we're going to really address this goal-scoring problem that could threaten results, just like it did last season.

I thought Corica and Sonner were class again, and Fitzroy must have been a close-contender for man of the match - I hope we don't let him slip through our fingers again - sign him up quick. I think he's our best deliverer of set pieces too, like that first minute corner that Aranalde - ?? Aranalde ?? - yes Aranalde headed onto the top of the bar. Yes, even Zigor looked OK yesterday, but I still worry about the number of goals that come from the left-back area - he goes to sleep now and again when defending as we all know - perhaos he'd be better further up the pitch wide left, but then we'll have to find a left back - still there MUST be a better one than Zigor, surely.

Overall, I'm fairly happy with four points so far, especially given the two difficult opening games aganst probable promotion sides, and we weren't too outclassed by either of them - they were fair results though, fair play to the opponents.

Now on to Brighton, and let's hope for some return from there, esoecially as Bobby Zamora won't be available to play.

Come on you Saddlers !!

Oh, and also come on you Wolves - unlike many Saddlers fans I'd love to see a big grin on Sir Jack's face, celebrating promotion at the end of the season - the old fella' has put so much in, he deserves the success and I sincerely hope he gets it. And while on the subject, go to any other Midlands ground and when the Walsall score comes up, there's always a big cheer when we're ahead or when we equalise, and boos when we're losing - so why oh why do we always boo our neighbours, no matter which team it may be.
OK so our first love is the Saddlers, followed by the wife and kids of course, but why can't we get behind all the Midlands clubs, they're our neighbours and deserve our support (except when we're playing them of course). Come on Saddlers fans, the jealousy is only there because they are (for now) bigger than us - put that to one side - support the Midlands - all of Midlands clubs - let's get the better of the North, South, East and West - and London too, wherever that is !

Walsall 8 - Brownhills for ever !

By Angi Oplasty on Sunday, August 25, 2002 - 07:15 pm: Edit

Can any of u explain the fall-off in our support. About 1000 regular Saddlers from last year didnt show yesterday. I fear a sub 5000 turnout for Reading. Lets hope its the ground-redevelopment effect.

By Angi Oplasty on Sunday, August 25, 2002 - 07:22 pm: Edit

I've just looked at the new stand pics on the Walsall Mad web site. The view from the upper tier looks superb. I didnt realise just how empty the WS stand was yesterday. Looks to be no more than 1400 home-enders in there. Im getting even more depressed. Where on earth have our fans gone??? Why r they staying away? Will they come back? WE got better support inn the 2nd Div.

By Anon on Sunday, August 25, 2002 - 07:56 pm: Edit

One reason could be that the computer always seems to be down in the town shop - and they can't sell tickets!

By Fed-up of Walsall on Sunday, August 25, 2002 - 08:22 pm: Edit

Reasons why one regular for 20 years did not attend on Saturday -
1) Why can't I pay cash on the turnstiles?
2) £14 is too expensive
3) The club tries to justify charging too much by creating Category A & Category B games
4) The ticket office is a joke
5) I'm sick to the back teeth of Roy Wallett and his cronies
6) I'm taken for granted - season ticket holder lasy year - they never even bothered to ask me to become one again this year - (except for Roy Wallet's hysterical hype before the Ipswich game)
7) Being patronised by Mike Lloyd for not turning up - 'The club deserves support'. Points 1 - 6 above show they do not.

By Geoffrey Whiting on Sunday, August 25, 2002 - 08:28 pm: Edit

Re: the disappointing crowds for Ipswich and Forest, is it maybe that the fans who usually stand don't want to sit down to watch a match - also I assume they are being charged more while they're temporarily seated at the opposite end of the pitch compared to the prices they usually pay for standing - I'm not sure about this but I suppose it's likely to be dearer. Not everyone finds it easy to find the money, especially if they're bringing the kids as well.
The price difference might just be "the straw that breaks the camel's back", as the old saying goes.

Just a theory ! We probably won't know the answer until the terracing opens again, hopefully in late September for the Sheff. Wednesday match.

Talking of Wednesday, God I hope the result in that match is better than last season's - that was a real case of daylight robbery, we really needed the points that day and the defeat set up a real end of season fight for survival, fortunately successful in the end ! Anyway, fingers crossed, Wednesday don't seem to have improved much so far, so hopefully we can see them off like Forest did last week. You know, Forest beat them 4-0, we beat Forest 2-1, so on the face of it we should be OK. Shame it doesn't always work out that way though ! Fingers and everything else crossed.

Best of luck Saddlers for tomorrow at Brighton, unfortunately I'll be on the way to Wales so I'll have to hope the radio signal holds long enough to check on progress. I'm gonna miss my Saddlers World web-site tomorrow !

Walsall8 - Brownhills for ever and ever

By Fed-up of Walsall on Sunday, August 25, 2002 - 08:39 pm: Edit

8) Try shoe-horning yourself into a seat in the William Sharp Stand at Bescot if you're 6'4"!!!

By Stu on Sunday, August 25, 2002 - 09:19 pm: Edit

With all respect, I've heard of some fans who are staying away because they cant stand at the games!

Personally, I think thats a lousy excuse, as what happens next season when we MUST go all seater due to regulations? Will they never come again?

At the end of the day, I don't give a toss what Wallet, Bonsor, Llyod or anybody does off the pitch. I go to see the people "on the pitch", not those off it. As long as I have a football club to watch that is called and plays in Walsall, then I'm happy.

As for £14 being expensive??? I'm pretty sure we're one of the cheaper clubs in the country. Rotherham costs £16 to get in for away fans, Brighton is costing me £20 tomorrow. So £14 isn't too bad for 1st Division football.

I don't care what Wallet says, as I go to watch the football, not to listen or watch Whalley, Llyod et al.

By Cannock on Sunday, August 25, 2002 - 09:31 pm: Edit

Fantastic views from the new stand posted elsewhere. Im a little peed off that season ticket holders cant upgrade to the upper tier of the new stand when it opens. However, what are the plans for this area. I would dearly love to sit up there next year but are the club going to make it into the family stand? I sincerely hope not. Does anyone know what the clubs plans are?
Mr Whiting, why have you got a massive complex about Brownhills. Not the centre of the universe i agree but .....

By Geoffrey Whiting on Sunday, August 25, 2002 - 10:05 pm: Edit

Cannock, I don't have a complex about Brownhills, I'm Walsall born & bred, just happen to live out at Brownhills these days. I'll leave it off if it irritates you, OK!

I agree with you, I'd like to transfer to the new Gilbert Alsop upper tier from my seat in the HL Fellows - unfortunately I'm still behind one of those pillars i.e. not centre stand - do they pay more in the centre to deserve this preferential treatment, or what ?

We'll have to start a campaign between us for loyal season ticket holders to get some preference for the top tier, what do you think ?

Geoff Whiting, WALSALL for ever

By Neil Ravenscroft on Sunday, August 25, 2002 - 10:51 pm: Edit

Agree, having seen the pictures (not to mention how wet we'll get sitting on the lower tier!) I have a feeling I saw somewhere that this will be a 'family stand'?

By Dave Gittins on Sunday, August 25, 2002 - 11:15 pm: Edit

I heard it may become the family stand but last I read Roy Whalley said that they were still looking how to best use the new stand. In other words - they don't know yet!

As a family man I wouldn't mind taking my kids in the new stand but we wikll have to wait and see what happens.

By SheffieldSaddler on Sunday, August 25, 2002 - 11:55 pm: Edit

Geoffrey Whiting - I am sorry but you will never ever get me to wish that Wolves get promotion. Shall I tell you why, its because they have the biggest set of arrogant b*stards of supporters you will ever meet. The same set of "so called" supporters who in the 80s were no where to be seen when the team were in the lower divisions. The same set of "so called" supporters who think they are too big for the first division and only belong in the premiership. The same set of "so called" supporters who were celebrating returning to the premiership last season until the Baggies decided otherwise.
West Brom and Birmingham - Yes good luck to them, but good luck to the Wolves - never ever.

By Geoffrey Whiting on Monday, August 26, 2002 - 01:15 am: Edit

Sorry Sheffield Saddler, you're entitled to your opinion, but no-one has done more for any club than Sir Jack. I was no Wolves fan, but if this guy doesn't see some success for his efforts, it'll be sad. He's getting on a bit now, and his last chance may not be too far off, so show a bit of compassion for God's sake. I'm not talking about arrogant b*stard supporters, as you describe them, I'm talking of a real football gentleman, a man of advancing years, who deserves success for the effort and money he's put in. If you can't see and accept that, then so be it, I have no time for bigots !

By Surrey Saddler on Monday, August 26, 2002 - 09:11 am: Edit

Well said Geoffrey Whiting. I have a soft spot for the Wolves and hope they go up. All this "stand up if you hate the Wolves" is really kid's stuf.
I suppose I am now inviting abuse. Let's see.
Come on you Saddlers at Brighton today.

By Andrew Perrett on Monday, August 26, 2002 - 10:16 am: Edit

I wouldn't exactly say that I have a soft spot for the Wolves, but I don't begrudge certain dingle friends of mine a go at the premier, especially as they were going when the Wolves were in the 4th. However, I understand Sheffield Saddler's position re there seeming to be a lot of Wolves fans who just think they deserve a place because they are a big club, and levelling abuse at Walsall fans for suporting a small club.

Geoffrey Whiting: just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't make them a bigot. You rounded off a well-reasoned argument with an insult. If you had finished "If you can't see and accept that, then so be it." then it would have lent more weight to your mail than ending with accusing someone of bigotry. The last 6 words were unnecessary in my opinion.

By Geoffrey Whiting on Monday, August 26, 2002 - 10:39 am: Edit

OK I agree, its just that all this childish "Stand up if u hate the Wolves" stuff gets on my nerves.
I apologise unreservedly Sheffield Saddler, you're not a bigot, you're quite entitled to your opinion.
At least Surrey Saddler seems to be on my side. Cheers for that, at least I'm not alone.
Perhaps I shouldn't have opened up this can of worms about the Wolves in the first place.
Anyway, I'm off to Wales today, so I'll miss the commentary - nervous time away from the reports - I just hope we come back from Brighton with a point or three and that Wolves get some more points today or tomorrow, whenever it is that they're playing

By cat3 on Monday, August 26, 2002 - 10:57 am: Edit

It's going to be awesome when ALL midland teams make it to premier, won't that be a killer...

By Jeremy Busby on Monday, August 26, 2002 - 11:08 am: Edit

Hello from a bloody cold and wet New Zealand again. Any news on the team for today's game?? We have to rely on the net for such news and there is nothing on the official site.

By Geordiesaddler on Monday, August 26, 2002 - 11:56 am: Edit

The Banks's stand in it's family stand incarnation has been a great success. If we make the new stand the family stand and put away fans in the Banks's it will destroy the atmosphere at the Bescot. The behind the goal area should be geared up for adults who traditionally stand behind the goal, the most under-used stand - ie. the HLF should be used to take any increased capacity of away fans. If the club restrict access to the new stand by making if families only it will be a massive kick in the teeth for fans who have stood behind pillars for the last 11 years. As an earlier poster said they don't yet know what they're going to do, which is a pretty sad admission.

By Geoff Whiting on Monday, August 26, 2002 - 12:14 pm: Edit

I agree with you Geordiesaddler. I think we all know the Walsall public don't support the team anywhere near as much as they should, so far too many home seats are left empty; at the same time some away clubs could fill those empty seats but we can't make them available due to segregation etc. Result - loss of income for the Club.
By moving some from the HL Fellows into the Gilbert Alsop upper tier, we could offer more seats in the HL Fellows (M6 end) to away clubs.
I think the Banks's family stand is great, regrettably I had to move out of there myself two or three years ago when my son got too old; maybe the family stand fans would want to take over the new upper tier. However, the club needs to maximise the income from the new stand in view of it's high cost of construction, so selling seats on the cheaper family-ticket basis wouldn't be consistent with that need. Getting full price for every seat will bring the money in quicker, which is what we need if the club is to grow and become more successful.
I hope that whatever happens the new stand gets pretty-well filled for every match, 'cos I think it's going to look a bit silly otherwise.

By Ulster Saddler on Monday, August 26, 2002 - 01:00 pm: Edit

Any part of the new stand behind the goal should not be a family stand. It would kill the atmosphere.
Delighted with the three points - I turned on the text and we were one up. Switched on BBC and it was 1-1, turned over to ITV and it was 2-1.
UP THE SADDLERS
PS. Just for the record, I hope Wolves NEVER reach the premiership. They only get so close coz they have a millionaire as a supporter. He has even admitted that Wolves FC do not pay for themselves. Personally, I look forward to the day he says enough is enough and they have to figure out how to pay for those contracts etc without his money and rely on their loyal fans. The clubs that deserve a crack at the premiership are the ones who improve year after year on a sound financial footing, wear red in the home strip,have a swift on their club badge and a ground near the motorway.
UP THE SADDLERS (again)

By Dave Hawkes on Monday, August 26, 2002 - 04:17 pm: Edit

Not one to sing anti-Wolves chants, but don't think I'm going to cheer them on. I couldn't give a monkeys what Jack Hayward has done for them. The truth is that they seem to think they have this God given right to play in the Premiership, and that playing the likes of us is an injustice. They're another example of a club that has tried to buy success, but failed, and is far to 'sack happy' when it comes to managers.

To be fair, were you there against Bradford at home last season? Whilst we booed the Wolves scores, we cheered the Baggies on, more so than the Saddlers (hence the blowing of a 2-0 lead).

Talking of chanting, can we please come up with some good Saddlers chants, some that will motivate the players?! The best chant anyone could come up with was 'who the fudge hell are you' on Sat, which is sad and pathetic.

Hopefully the top tier will no become a family stand. Keep them in the Banks's. It would be great to see that new stand full of people wishing to sing proper songs rather than kids playing on their game boys, which tends to be the case in the Banks's just after Christmas, when the new stand will be open.

By John S on Monday, August 26, 2002 - 04:42 pm: Edit

My favourite Walsall chant of recent times has been "Boing Boing"!!!!!!!!!! Did we really sing that? I cant tell u how pathetic we sounded singing that at Wolves last week. I was sat in the Stan Cullis and cringed with utter embarrassment when I heard that. We used to have a rep of being sharp, mickey-taking sometimes sarcastic supporters. How times have changed.

By StrettonSaddler on Monday, August 26, 2002 - 08:07 pm: Edit

Most amusing chant in recent games?? "There's only one Gary Megson" at the Wolves game. What's happened to the crowds?? Read previous comments on this and other threads re. the ticket office. Last week, for a family/friends treat, I bought 8 Matchday specials for the READING match at £50 each! For that paltry sum, I was somehow sent two car park passes for the FOREST game!! Efficient or what?? We need a good PR man (or woman) badly. The repetive moans on this site - mainly justified - shout aloud that the club just isn't communicating with its active fan base. ie - us! And can't we get another car park exit?? If an afternoon at the Bescot is a pleasant experience, then the crowds will come. If it's a frustrating experience 1) getting tickets, 2) getting in and out of the place, then they won't and never mind the quality or otherwise of the football.
PS And PLEASE make the official web site less officious and more user friendly!

By Fed-up of Walsall on Monday, August 26, 2002 - 10:22 pm: Edit

Stu - £14 for one person IS expensive when you have a family - Ceefax & WM for me thanks from now on...and the ticket office IS a complete shambles, an utter joke - they actually make cocking EVERYTHING up an art form and should all be replaced by people with a bit of common sense and half a brain...oh sorry, that would bite into Bonser's pension fund...silly me (How much is he taking from the club this year?)

By Exile on Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 01:49 am: Edit

Jeremy Busby - cold and wet? You must be in the South Island! Auckland positively tropical today - great for Team NZ training in their new boat for the first time!

No point in asking you to join the inaugural NZ Saddlers Supporters Club if we're at opposite ends of the country!

Cheers
Exile

By delves saddler on Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 09:22 am: Edit

I offer my services to the club to give the ticket office a damn good shake up. I have the necessary skills and experience to take on this mammoth task. CV available if required.

By Mal on Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 09:27 am: Edit

Saturday saw for the first time this season away fans in the HL stand. Now I couldn't do this at any ground cos I get to wound up but when Forest equalised there was about 8 or 10 fans just in front jumping around. Firstly the stewards and police did nowt as normal secondly this wound me up more. The sweet moment when wracky struck that 35 yard screamer, ok bundled over the line for the winner, I lost it. Jumped over the seat right in there faces, could have been nasty but it felt great.

Point to all this is why do we always have away fans in the HL and nothing is done. Maybe cos the ave age is 70 but there is an incident waiting to hapen.

What a weekend, is it May yet ?

By Stu on Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 09:47 am: Edit

Fed Up.... - £14 each is expensive when you have a family, I understand that. But £14 each isn't expensive when you compare us to other Division 1 clubs. As stated, I paid £16 at Rotherham last season, £18 at Sheff Utd last week, £20 yesterday at Brighton. All of which makes £14 look quite acceptable. But, yes, I understand I don't have a family to take, but in terms of the price, £14/person isn't that bad. Although, the club used to do a "Parent/Child" ticket, I am presuming they dont do this anymore then?

By Geordiesaddler on Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 10:41 am: Edit

The club does still offer those tickets, which basically admits the first kid for nothing, and the subsequent kids for a fiver, which is excellent, and as I said on another the thread the Banks's stand has been a huge success and the club should be applauded for it.

Problem is you have to start from wherever you are in reality. It's no good saying that just because we are now a decent first division team people should come - I wish they would - but clearly the fact that they are not means there area reasons which are putting people off coming.

I might have an idea as to why it might be, Stu might, everybody might, but what are the club doing about it? Are they being proactive in their efforts to find out why people don't come and to get people along? To me the club have to face up the fact that whatever happens on the park 1) we are the poor relations of West Midlands football in terms of support. 2) We have an out of town ground. Those facts are not going to change. It doesn't take a genious to work out that the temporary loss of the GA, and the imposition of an all-ticket mentality has cost us about 700-1000 regular supporters. Clearly this has put people off it's a fact not an opinion. So what are the club doing about it? Answer nowt. The Whalley approach to frighten people into buying season tickets has failed again, the 2 tier structure of pricing is a failure - witness Saturday's gate. I would love the club to come out and explain their reasoning behind the two tier pricing. Why do they percieve that a game V so and so will be an attractive fixture? based on what??? The club's respective finishes last year?years of rivalry? What piece of intuitive brilliance leads us to charge more for some fixtures than others, when we struggle to fill the ground for any game. And how much (if any) extra revenue do we make off this? If the answer is none or very little then why do we persist in a policy copied from clubs like Man City who can sell their ground out x2?. I wish just for once that the club would go out on a limb and do something for the fans to at least try and harness the support that IS there. A visit to the club's web site in order to find out how much it costs to get in and where to get tickets boggles the mind. When the club opens the new stand they should make it a straight tenner to stand and about 12 to sit, get some clear, concise info in the town centre outlet and on the website, and get some dialogue with the local PTE re match day transport, did Brighton not have park and ride yesterday?
As my granny used to say, "never rest on your laurels, especially if you havn't got any".

By playoffs here we come on Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 03:09 pm: Edit

Fed up of Walsall --- Your reasons for not attending games are pathetic;
1.You say a reason for not going is that you cannot pay at the turnstiles --This is in line with nearly every other div.1 club.What difference does it make?Apparently 300 Forest fans were turned away from the ground on saturday without tickets.Would you prefer them in the empty spaces of the "home" end?
2.£14 is NOT too expensive for div.1 football.It is for div.3 football where it seems many of our fans would prefer us to be playing.Cant beat a good cheap game against Macclesfield can you?
3.What difference does it make if you like Whalley or Bonser.You support the team not the owners.
4.Why are you being patronised when asked why you don't attend.It is pathetic after all.You obviously don't want a div.1 team in Walsall.

--This is the most succesful side we have ever had to support.I hope the fans apathy does not rub off on the team and manager.

By Oplon Venort on Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 05:08 pm: Edit

300 Forest turned away? Crap. More like 10.

By Dave Hawkes on Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 05:44 pm: Edit

A familt ticket (which entitles you to admission for one kid and one adult) in the Banks's stand costs just a tenner. And it's only another tenner per adult on top, and just £3 a kid on top of that. It's a bloody bargain if you ask me.

I wont be going to as many games this year, not because the prices are massive, but simply because I can't afford adult prices. The only way to combat this is to get a Saturday job... and then miss the footy! I'll be quite happy to notch up ten games this season, maybe more what with some massive games after Christmas and our lovely new stand.

By Cannock on Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 10:49 pm: Edit

Mal, maybe the Forest fans decided to book an executive package when they realised they couldnt get tickets. I have no problem with this as i have done it in the past at Gresty Road when crewe stuffed us in the play offs courtesy of Tony Naylor many years back. I paid a lot of dosh and for it got a damned good meal, lots of bevvy, a good crack with the Crewe fans prior to the match and then suffered in complete agony amongst them. God how it turned out to be one of the worst days of my life. Strange, but i look back on it with fond memories. As long as the oppo fans dont misbehave then so what. Enjoy the crack, thats what its about

By Leicester Saddler on Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 10:53 pm: Edit

A Family ticket for 1 adult & child is £15/£16 depending on A/B game. Still a bargain, mind you compared to what you'd pay to go away games. 1 of the reasons why the family stand fills up. Cost me £32 for Forest game, (2 adults/2 kids).

Perhaps they should put the away fans in the big space in the corner of the main stand, which is rarely full. As you'd probably sell the 500+ tickets made vacant in the Bank's.

Missed a number of games last season cos I refused to pay the extra to sit in the main stand when the Bank's had sold out, as the equivalent cost would be £20 more.

By Cannock on Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 11:20 pm: Edit

You'll never beat big Colin. LOL . How on earth can people stay away when you look back on what we had. Staggering. Yes people do have family priorities but where are the kids. We were all them spotty 17/18 year olds once. Once you get the bug then you are hooked. Shame on the club. More needs to be done to get the footy mad hormonal kids in rather than have then standing around town with Villa shirts on who go to a match once a month. Attract them to the Bescot

By Mal on Wednesday, August 28, 2002 - 09:13 am: Edit

Cannock, thanks for reminding me of the Crewe game again, it's took me all this time to get over that one after many tears and 'Nay'mares. One thing I didn't mention was that the stewards were talking to these fans before kick off and advised them to sit there so they could keep an eye on them. I dunno how you can sit amongst oppo fans though, done this myself loads and its a killer. What wound me up and the majority of oldies around was that not only were they celebrating which is fair enough but taking the mick of those around, as I said ave age 70. So I don't think the corp package is the reason as where I sit there is always spaces so whenever there are 'Big' games such as Blues, Wolves, WBA, Millwall etc these are ALWAYS filled by away fans.

I'm sorry but I am not one of those who sits there and applauds the opposition and discussed their merits with the oppo fans. Too Saddler focused for that, I was probably out of order but a last minute winner stirs the old blood.

By Cannock on Wednesday, August 28, 2002 - 10:33 pm: Edit

Come and join us , come and join us over 'ere

By Vangogh on Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 01:55 pm: Edit

Cannock,
Thanks for reminding me of the Gresty road trip. 24 cans of Newcastle brown seem to provoke very vivid memories. I total agree with comment at the beginning of the thread about all or nothing. Also do you think it is wise to exchange your season ticket for one in the upper tier. I have this horibble vision of you throwing yourself off as Zigor concedes a last minute penalty aginst the dingles.

By Cannock on Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 11:10 pm: Edit

Great times we had eh! VanG

By Geoff Whiting on Saturday, August 31, 2002 - 11:34 am: Edit

Dear VanGogh, if you're worried about Zigor conceding a last min pen against the dingles and us fans throwing ourselves off the upper tier, I've a better idea. Don't sacrifice ourselves. Instead, when it happens, as it probably will, if not against Wolves then against some other team, it's BOUND to happen, we are talking about Zigor after all, so when it happens, my idea is for about 25 - 30 of us to race down to the pitch, grab Zigor, drag hom up to the top tier, and throw HIM off. Does us all a favour, gets the job done, and it might even feel worthwhile having conceded that late penalty. Anyway, Wacker will probably save it !
I've spotted a slight drawback, prison food for a few years, but at least Zigor will have gone, and we can still follow the Saddlers on Teletext and Sky from a cell in Winson Green.

PS I am only joking of course - it would really only take 10 to 15 of us !

By WALSALL ARE LEGENDS on Friday, October 11, 2002 - 03:25 pm: Edit

my mates a forest fan and we did em - 1-2 ASWELL, well done wrack ARE WELL STU BROWN MAYBE NEXT TIME

Return to 2002-03 Season