Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Sheff Wed (h) - League - 28th September 2002

Reports and reaction from the 2002-03 season as Walsall finished 17th in Division 1
Andy
UTS Regular

Sheff Wed (h) - League - 28th September 2002

Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:13 pm

By icons.com on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 06:14 pm: Edit

Read Darren Bazeleys new diary entry at http://www.icons.com/bazeley/ to find out more on his opinions on the season so far, the changes of the backroom staff and an update of his Spanish lessons from the three amigo's Pedro,Zigor and Roberto!

By Neil Ravenscroft on Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 07:08 am: Edit

I, personally, will not look at his site until he gets a new photo on the front page - he's still wearing (I can hardly bring myself to type it) old gold and black!

By Ulster Saddler on Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 11:52 am: Edit

I'm with you on that one Neil

By RushallSaddler on Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 07:14 am: Edit

After watching Allan Mullery's match reports on Sky Sports last night, we should have no problems on Saturday, as Sheff Wendy were awful, only one shot at goal all match, thats four games without a goal for them, hopefully we'll make it five on Saturday and two wins on the bounce for us, another 3 nill to the super saddlers

By Stu on Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 07:57 am: Edit

But they're also proving difficult to beat, 7 games without defeat at the moment. Which says that if they haven't scored in their last 4 games, they also haven't conceded a goal in their last 4 games!

Good news is that their missing Sibon though, who tends to be the one to make things happen for them.

By Stu on Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 08:02 am: Edit

In fact, you were mistaken anyway. They've just gone two games without a goal including last night. They have had 4 successive draws though if thats what you meant?

But, they're also unbeaten in 7, won 2 and drew 5, scored 7 conceded 5. So they might not be winning, but they're obviously making themselves very difficult to beat.

Its a match we should win, but, we should have won against Bradford, Watford and Rotherham.

By RushallSaddler on Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 09:28 am: Edit

Oops sorry Stu, blame Mr Mullery, that's what he said on tv last night and I agree about the Bradford, Watford and Rotherham games, also having thought about it a bit more - Wednesday do seem to like the midlands as their last two away draws were at cov and dingleland, but I still think we will win - its about time we did at home.

By Rushall Saddler on Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 09:30 am: Edit

PS is there something wrong with the clock on this site I could have sworn my last post was 11.18am

By MR D DOFFER on Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 01:39 pm: Edit

DOFFER HERE

Last week was the foundation we needed, a cracking away win. We now must build upon that and an unchanged side would be my choice, keep a winning formula.

OK Wendy are difficult to beat but with home advantage,back home in the gilbert and our strikers knocking in a few we have to expect and demand a win.

These are the games we must start winning.

I have no doubt on the above.

THE DOFFER

By Geoff Whiting on Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 07:23 pm: Edit

RushallSaddler, I told 'em about the clock last weekend and they said "Does it matter?" Well it does to me.
When I tell the wife what I was doing at a certain time, and I say I was on the message board and NOT up to no good, she checks up on me and the time doesn't marry up, so she calls me a liar.
I know it's not serious yet, but the question is "where did it all start with Mrs Bobbit over in the USA a few years ago?" We all know about the end. The end ended up detached mate, and I don't fancy it happening to me !
So please put the clock right Ed.

By Henry XIII on Friday, September 27, 2002 - 08:08 am: Edit

The clock looks a bit fast to me.

By Geoff Whiting on Friday, September 27, 2002 - 10:48 am: Edit

Nice one Henry XIII, if you can keep your head while all around you are losing theirs, etc. etc..

By Hamish McBeth on Saturday, September 28, 2002 - 08:12 am: Edit

Whilst doing a wee bit of surfing on the old net, came across your site and found it very interesting especially the articles by G.Whiting, he really is a clever wee chap, seems to have all the answers and appears on every teams chat room from Lands End to John O Groats.
Even popped up on Alloa Athletics and put them right.
IS YOUR 3rd TEAM MONTROSE or do you only follow the 2.
Anyway best of Luck for the season.
Alan Hansen luvs the wee bouys.

By Temporary Melbourne Saddler on Saturday, September 28, 2002 - 05:02 pm: Edit

A good result, even if we appeared to be defending too much for the 2nd half.

By Paul G on Saturday, September 28, 2002 - 05:58 pm: Edit

Yes a very good result. 1-0 looks a bit tight and its true we did defend deep in the 2nd half but overall we were far the better team. In fact in every position on the park we were better (yes even left back).

Roper and Hay were just outstanding. If sheff weds were still playing now they would not have got past them. The pair won absolutely every ball in the air or on the ground. We should have taken a more positive approach in the second half. Whenever they were put under pressure Weds were conceding possession or running the ball out of play and Burrows seemed to play much of the game on his backside. We just looked streets ahead of Weds and considering the resources that they have that is a marvelous tribute to Colin Lee and the side he has built.

By dave_hawkes on Saturday, September 28, 2002 - 06:50 pm: Edit

Peterhead 3-0 Montrose! Up the Bloo Toon!

By SheffieldSaddler on Saturday, September 28, 2002 - 07:38 pm: Edit

Agree with Paul G. When we put pressure on the Wednesday players they gave away possession time and time again. Dont know why we suddenly decide to defend so deep and let our opponents have time on the ball.
Roper and Hay were outstanding. So was Simpson. Thought a lot of players looked really tired at the end, especially Jorge and Corica.
I still have big doubts about Birch, is he really up to this level?

By Jim on Saturday, September 28, 2002 - 08:02 pm: Edit

Yes Birch was the only disappointment of the day for me, not half the player he appeared to be against Ipswich or Wolves. I was looking forward to seeing him play in his natural position as opposed to on the wing, but apart from one good run early in the second half he did nothing and hardly chased anything.

hope Zdrillitch is not too badly injured!!

By Geoff Whiting on Saturday, September 28, 2002 - 08:14 pm: Edit

Agree with Paul G, we were virtually always on top, and Wendy were generally pretty poor opposition. We've been guilty in some games of giving possession away very badly, but I think today Wendy exceeded anything we've managed in that department.

First half I thought we played some lovely one touch football and there were some outstanding moves that stretched Wendy all over the place and should have led to more goals.

Defensively I thought we played really well, though I did get a bit worried when we allowed them one or two chances second-half, especially as we'd only the one-goal lead. I'd have preferred us to have gone forward more in the second half and put pressure on their wobbly defence to get the decisive second goal. I think that was a bit disappointing. We could have overcome our negative goal difference today if we'd been a bit staedier in front of goal and if we'd gone for a more attacking approach after half time.

Still, shouldn't really complain, I'm well happy, a dominant performance, two wins on the trot again, and three more points in the bag towards our safety target, that'll do for me.

By Geordiesaddler on Saturday, September 28, 2002 - 08:22 pm: Edit

The Sunday Haiku a bit early.

When the talking stops
One decisive skillful act
Speaks volumes.

By Geoff Whiting on Saturday, September 28, 2002 - 08:34 pm: Edit

Hamish McBeth, me thinks you exaggerate mate.

To my knowledge apart from the Saddlers sites - official - saddlersworld - thesaddlersfc.tk - cheesefactory.com (seems to be shut down now)- walsallmad - and here on steveroy, I think I've only ever posted on Wolves, Bradford and Reading sites. Hardly every team from Lands End to John O'Groats is it ?

For sure I've never visited any Alloa Athletic site(s), but post the address on here and I'll try it for size.

I'm no "clever wee chap" as you put it. Although I have my opinions like everyone else has on here, I certainly don't claim to have all the answers, I just wish I did, then I could tell Bonser and Lee where to get the money to sign Fitzroy Simpson, and maybe one day show 'em how to guide my beloved Saddlers all the way to the Premiership.

Cheers for your entertaining post, Hamish

By Geoff Whiting on Saturday, September 28, 2002 - 08:36 pm: Edit

Hamish McBeth, me thinks you exaggerate mate.

To my knowledge apart from the Saddlers sites - official - saddlersworld - thesaddlersfc.tk - cheesefactory.com (seems to be shut down now)- walsallmad - and here on steveroy, I think I've only ever posted on Wolves, Bradford and Reading sites. Hardly every team from Lands End to John O'Groats is it ?

For sure I've never visited any Alloa Athletic site(s), but post the address on here and I'll try it for size.

I'm no "clever wee chap" as you put it. Although I have my opinions like everyone else has on here, I certainly don't claim to have all the answers, I just wish I did, then I could tell Bonser and Lee where to get the money to sign Fitzroy Simpson, and maybe one day show 'em how to guide my beloved Saddlers all the way to the Premiership.

Cheers for your entertaining post, Hamish

By geoff on Saturday, September 28, 2002 - 08:38 pm: Edit

Bugger me, how did that get in twice.

Christ the clocks an hour fast now, wasn't it slow before ?

By Mark W on Saturday, September 28, 2002 - 09:06 pm: Edit

Fantastic result but we looked completely knackered for the last 20 mins.Wednesday looked much fitter than us.1-1 would have been a fair result as we constantly gave the ball away in the second half.Wright didn't put a foot right--why no Pedro?
Another bizarre situation in the history of wfc-why not give a contract to a player who makes an active contribution to the side but give ones to "players" who are never likely to figure?
Very happy tonight but it does'nt bode well.A good side would have destroyed us in the second half.

By MarkW on Saturday, September 28, 2002 - 09:08 pm: Edit

And have we brought in Martinez to compensate for the loss of Bennett?

By SheffieldSaddler on Saturday, September 28, 2002 - 09:53 pm: Edit

I wouldnt say 1-1 would have been a fair result. We deserved to win, simple as that. Why no Pedro? Do you really want me to answer that? He is useless in this division. Have you not been earlier in the season or last season at all? He plays well 1 in every 10 matches. I would rather play Wrack out of position than have Pedro play, he offers absolutely nothing to the team.

By Surrey Saddler on Saturday, September 28, 2002 - 10:13 pm: Edit

Well said, Sheffield. Pedro scores the odd goal or two but he misses out on every 50:50 ball. Wrack is much more versatile. Good result today but still too much head tennis

By cat3 on Saturday, September 28, 2002 - 10:18 pm: Edit

1-0.... Great Result... Simpson should earned a contract.. too bad we had to let him go...

By Neil Ravenscroft on Saturday, September 28, 2002 - 10:32 pm: Edit

We were never in any real trouble today. Wednesday looked punchless, no wonder they are struggling.

The real problem today, I thought was losing Zdrillic. His movement, holding up of the ball, the bringing of others into play and willingness to "have a go" were superb, again. The game got a lot harder for the midfield once he went off.

Are the people who were critising him at the start of the season going to own up now?

By SheffieldSaddler on Saturday, September 28, 2002 - 10:41 pm: Edit

Yes, own up you lot!

By Stu on Saturday, September 28, 2002 - 10:53 pm: Edit

Nice to see us defend like a 1st division side. We played like a unit, put men behind the ball and forced the opposition to do something special to break us down. They couldn't do that.

I did think we should have held on to the ball longer in the last 15 minutes, sometimes we seem to think we have to counter attack and score within 10 seconds. We need to try and kill the time a bit more, slow things down and play keep-ball.

But, a good solid 1st division performance.

By Mark W on Sunday, September 29, 2002 - 12:15 am: Edit

Sheff-Im not saying Pedro for wrack but surely he could have done better than wright.
Stu-defend like a first divison side?? All eleven players defending doesn't make for a great spectacle at home.

By Neil Ravenscroft on Sunday, September 29, 2002 - 12:24 am: Edit

Stu has a point. Did you see Colin Lee having a real go at Birch for not taking the ball into the corner and then Birch passing the message on to the rest? Priceless!

By Neil Ravenscroft on Sunday, September 29, 2002 - 12:26 am: Edit

Also, have a look at the first two posts from Rushall and Stu right at the top of this thread. Puts today's performance into perspective!

By Fish on Sunday, September 29, 2002 - 07:43 am: Edit

I thought that without being outstanding this was a really good team performance. Roper and Hay were magnificent, but everyone else played their part also.

I disagree wih the comment that Wright didn't put a foot right, I thought that in the few minutes that he had, he did really well and showed real promise.

By StevefromMachen on Sunday, September 29, 2002 - 10:34 am: Edit

RE Driller - Sheff and Neil - me critisise - never - I was a little concerned on his early performances as he appeared dead in the water at the beginning - and like so many other "ones for the future" have ended up wasting what little money we have. I'm glad Driller is scoring and lets hope he is not too badly injured.Up the Saddlers!

By Angi Oplasty on Sunday, September 29, 2002 - 11:17 am: Edit

Anyone any thoughts on the complete lack of atmosphere in the new stand. We need to get lads in the top deck when it opens, otherwise I fear we will never again have anything resembling a good atmos at Bescot.

By Geoff Whiting on Sunday, September 29, 2002 - 01:25 pm: Edit

I think it's a bit early to say there was a lack of atmosphere in the new stand, really. It was an obvious improvement over previous home games, great to see and hear the fans back behind the goal, and I didn't think it was at all bad from where I was sitting. I think a goal at that end in the 2nd half might have lifted the crowd and that would have given us more of an indication

With only two blokes taking in the view from the upper tier, we shouldn't expect too much, those down on the terrace could hardly raise the roof on their own. It's got to be given a chance, we'll see when it opens.

I do understand the concerns though, I have posted here before that if fans decide to transfer to the upper tier, there's going to be some big empty spaces in other areas of the ground, unless we get loads of long-lost fans coming back, and I don't see that happening.

By Shifnalsaddler on Sunday, September 29, 2002 - 03:52 pm: Edit

Nice to be back in my old place, away from the Wrack haters I was saddled with up the Sharp end.
I shall miss Cannock though. Then again, missing Cannock is no bad thing, especially in the rush hour.
Thought Wrack was excellent yesterday, hopefully people will stay off his back, doesn't matter who the player is, he's unlikely to play better if subjected to jeers, groans and booing from a section of the crowd. Luckily, the last two players to get it, Wrack and Bennett, seem to be mentally strong enough to cope with it.

Anybody else remember saying after the first two games "we've played the teams that will finish one and two in the division"? Looking at the tables this morning, I think my paper has got them wrong. Ipswich are down the bottom, and Wolves are only a point ahead of us. That can't be right. Maybe mondays papers will print the correct ones.

By Stu on Sunday, September 29, 2002 - 03:55 pm: Edit

Mark, why don't you take a look at other sides when we play them? They get numbers behind the ball, regardless of whether they are home or away and make life difficult for the opposition. Thats why there is such a step up to the 1st division if your used to 2nd division football.

That is half of our problem, we don't defend in numbers often enough. Strangely though, we have in the last two games and we've kept two clean sheets! See my point...

Watford defended with numbers, we didn't look like scoring after the first 10 minutes. Brighton didn't defend with numbers, we scored two in the first 10 minutes!

By Paul G on Sunday, September 29, 2002 - 05:19 pm: Edit

Losing the roof to the Alsop terrace seems to have affected the atmosphere. The chants were still there but they seemed to drift off into space rather than vibrate around the stand as they did in the past. Still it was fantastic to have a non pillar obstructed view at bescot for the first time ever.

By Stu on Sunday, September 29, 2002 - 05:53 pm: Edit

Must admit, the sound coming from the GA was very hard to hear, downside to not having a roof I spose.

It also looked like everyone in the lower tier will get soaked if it rains, depending on which direction the rain comes from.

By Neil Ravenscroft on Sunday, September 29, 2002 - 07:34 pm: Edit

There's no way I'll sit in the Lower Tier when the time comes, unless the club provides free wet suits.

By Geoff Whiting on Sunday, September 29, 2002 - 07:49 pm: Edit

What a sight that would be Neil, 1,500 or so fans in matching wet suits in the GA lower tier, that would really scare the hell out of the opposition, especially with masks as well.

No chance though, say 1,500 wet suits at a minimum of about £100 each, I make that £150,000, the club won't fork that out, or if they would I'd rather use it to sign Fitzroy and the fans can get soaked ! Sorry lads, nothing personal, it's just a matter of priorities. LoL

By Deaf bloke who sells stuff door to door on Sunday, September 29, 2002 - 09:54 pm: Edit

If you think those wet suits cost a hundred quid Geoff, I'll be round your house tomorrow to sell you a dish cloth, say £50, and a pair of top quality oven gloves, for, say £75. OK?

By ThePersonWhoKnows on Sunday, September 29, 2002 - 10:21 pm: Edit

I can tell you, that when in the upper tier, the sound from around the stadium really rattles around. and is very very loud.

When there are 4000 fans behind there, boy will that end of the ground be able to make some noise. Then again, how often will it get 4000 in it?

As for the bottom tier, i will not be sitin in there, 1 no leg room, 2 will get soakes, no matter wot direction. ill be movin upstairs when it goes allseater.

Man City Provide these cheap rain tops for away fans out on the corner stand. And remember the Uefa Cup final at Villa park, Lazio Vs Mallorca. Each end of the ground had diff coloured bibs (or something like it) and it made the ground look really colourful.

(that has nothing to do with the wendy game, sorry)

By Stu on Sunday, September 29, 2002 - 10:58 pm: Edit

You reckon there will ever be 4000 fans in the GA stand? I highly doubt it, as that would probably only occur in a sell out, which won't be often as we didn't even sell out a 9500 capacity last season.

Add to that, if the club decide to say it will be a family stand it will have no atmosphere. If they also say ST holders can't move up to there, then it'll probably be very sparse for this season as it'll be up to the floating fans and not ST holders to go in there!

Would be a nice thought though, you never know.

Oh, and deaf bloke, as a qualified scuba diver, you wanna tell me where I can get a brand new decent quality 7mm neoprene wet suit for less than £100???

By Temporary Melbourne Saddler on Monday, September 30, 2002 - 12:54 am: Edit

Here's a quotation from an email from my father (if the Sporting Start can nick my postings, I can nick my father's emails). He is a season ticket holder (I converted him from following the W****s many years ago, so he stands in my stead, or at least sits in my stead).

As many of you on here know my father is an ex-teacher at QMGS, so in 2000 words or less ...

"Our young substitutes were simply not good enough and Leiteo was left, not only to do all the running but to finish as well. I do not believe this nonsense about him being unfit; he is just expected to do too much if he is to be our main sriker. Anyway three points was a just reward." Discuss.

By Temporary Melbourne Saddler on Monday, September 30, 2002 - 01:15 am: Edit

Geoff,

Please note the "or less" part of the question ;o).

(Perhaps I should have waited for the Sporting Star page before making this post).

By Geoff Whiting on Monday, September 30, 2002 - 02:52 am: Edit

Temporary Melbourne Saddler,

Thanks for the "2000 or less" advice - I'll try !

First, I'd agree with your Dad's summing up, once Zdrillic went off, the attack was far less effective and Leitao did have to do a lot of the up-front stuff on his own with insufficient support.

Second, yes Saddlers were well worth the three points, the game should have been easily in the bag by half-time with steadier finishing.

So, TMS, I'm interested to know your father is an ex QMGS teacher then, what era mate and what's the name please, I'd like to know just in case I remember him - although thinking about it logically he's probably about the same age as me mate, or even younger !

There, was that 2000 words or less, TMS ?

By JPD on Monday, September 30, 2002 - 03:51 am: Edit

I don't think we should judge the atmosphere in the new stand yet. It needs to have at least 10 games before a judgement can be made.
(reserve games and sustitute appearances don't count).
With Zigor and Zdrillic, should we run out to 'Z cars' like Everton?
Is Zdrillic the most mis-spelt player ever to don a Walsall shirt?
John Smith certainly wouldn't get a look in in this competition.
Could a blanket collection be taken around at every game for Fitz's pay?
It may shame the management into action.

By Temporary Melbourne Saddler on Monday, September 30, 2002 - 07:59 am: Edit

My father taught at QM from about '74 up until a few years back. If you were a contemporary you would probably have recognised his name from my email address posted elsewhere, Tom Perrett.

And yes, it was definitely less than 2000. Sometimes it takes a long posting to get over a decent point. It doesn't take a lot to say "Wracky is crap" or "Jorge is fat" etc.

By Messex on Monday, September 30, 2002 - 08:25 am: Edit

Yes, Tom Perrett taught me A-level history at QM '95-'97 - good teacher, great bloke - a proper Walsall red !! Hmm, this is the Friends Reunited site isn't it ?

By Neil Ravenscroft on Monday, September 30, 2002 - 09:55 am: Edit

Sorry, before my time (left 1970) and Geoff Whiting's (left 1967), so no memories of Mr Perrett, you'll be glad to hear.

By 4two Swift on Monday, September 30, 2002 - 11:12 am: Edit

lol.

You taking across all the boards now lads? We have a road show, and no one told me

By Chris Owen on Monday, September 30, 2002 - 11:42 am: Edit

Temporary Melbourne Saddler - you were in the year above me and went to school on the same bus. Remember your Dad though he never taught me.

By owain johnson on Monday, September 30, 2002 - 08:02 pm: Edit

Owain Johnson????

By Moaning Saddler on Monday, September 30, 2002 - 10:39 pm: Edit

Is this the thread for match reports or am I totally confused?

http://www.geocities.com/pinsticker1/fo ... dlers.html

By cannock on Monday, September 30, 2002 - 11:18 pm: Edit

Nice one Moaning, i always enjoy your reports. Keep them coming

Return to 2002-03 Season