Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Millwall (a) - League - 21st September 2002

Reports and reaction from the 2002-03 season as Walsall finished 17th in Division 1
Andy
UTS Regular

Millwall (a) - League - 21st September 2002

Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:12 pm

By Geoff Whiting on Saturday, September 21, 2002 - 02:16 pm: Edit

Doffer, it's 3.40pm and we're two up at The New Den - ignore my earlier posts, it looks like you could be back for Wendy next week after all - cancel the order at the Corfu Fireworks Company !

This post is at 3.48 pm, ignore the time shown above, the web-site clock is still slow !

2 - 0 nearly half-time - looking good - God we need these points so bad !

I'm on my knees "Preserve our lead, Oh Lord !"

By dave_hawkes on Saturday, September 21, 2002 - 02:43 pm: Edit

Well that's put the kiss of death on us then Geoff! ;-)

By Marko on Saturday, September 21, 2002 - 03:04 pm: Edit

And now it's 3!!!!!!!!!!

By Geoff Whiting on Saturday, September 21, 2002 - 03:37 pm: Edit

3 - 0 away at The New Den - I'm in shock - get me the oxygen ! C'mon y-o-o-o-u-u-u Sadd-e-e-l-l-e-e-r-r-s-s !

Now Dave, what was that kiss of death you were on about just now ? You'll see on another thread that I am in fact Alan Partridge - the kiss of death is an affliction of Jimmy Greaves and / or Murray Walker - I can't be both of them as well !!

By MR D DOFFER on Saturday, September 21, 2002 - 03:40 pm: Edit

DOFFER HERE IN CORFU

I'M COMING HOME, I'M COMING, DOFFER'S COMING HOME,
I'M COMING HOME, I'M COMING, DOFFER'S COMING HOME.

GREAT, SUPERB, WONDERFUL, I LOVE WRACKIE,JORGE OFCOURSE, GREAT STUFF DAVEY AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST MR COLIN LEE.

I KNEW MY TONGUE IN CHEEK COLUMN WOULD GET THEM GOING.

I'M SO VERY ,VERY PROUD TO BE A SADDLER IN CORFU.

YOU JUST WAIT 4 THE BEST DOFFER COMPO EVER COME NEXT WEEK.

BY THE WAY, MY LAST COMPO WINNER"S SHIRT HAS BEEN SENT BY THE WONDERFUL MRS DOFFER.

GOD I LOVE IT WHEN A PLAN COMES TOGETHER.

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL THE TRAVELLING POSSE, I WILL NEVER FORGET MY WEEK IN CORFU.

I'M NOW GOING TO GET THE BOLLINGER OUT, I'II BE TOTALLY *issed for the next 2 days

GREAT, *UCKING GREAT.

DOFFER

By Geoff Whiting on Saturday, September 21, 2002 - 04:01 pm: Edit

Fairly pleased then, eh, Doffer ?

By belgian saddler on Saturday, September 21, 2002 - 04:11 pm: Edit

top result, back on track hopefully.unfortunately couldn`t get any commemtry on saddlers world (anyone else have trouble??) so had to sit glued to the text but we got there and that`s all that counts. unfortunately i`m gewin back for the wendy game so that`ll probably be the end of the winning run!

deadly driller, if he carries on like this who knows and at last jorge is finding his feet again 9has he been banned from the pubs in town??). if these two start hitting it off together a boring mid-table finish isn`t beyond us after all!

By fatbob on Saturday, September 21, 2002 - 04:41 pm: Edit

Just what the hell is going on?
Four bad losses and now a 3-0 away win!
Wrack keeps the ball underneath the bar!
We keep a clean sheet!
We go up to 15th in the table!
Someone who was there please put a match report on here.
I can still barely believe it

By reduntilimdead on Saturday, September 21, 2002 - 05:01 pm: Edit

6 goals in 2 matches isnt it suprising what happens when the side isnt chopped and changed Jorge as scored in the last 4 matches including shrews in the worthy cup and Driller 3 in 2 all 7 goals have come playing them both from the start.

Bring on the Sheff Wendy with all corners of the ground with a few faces in and hope we can generate an atmosphere better than against Rotherham which as been the best so far this season.

By marko on Saturday, September 21, 2002 - 05:15 pm: Edit

And only 1 point behind the dingles! it gets better and better!!!

By 'dler on Saturday, September 21, 2002 - 05:18 pm: Edit

I wasn't there (, and I want to know what was so different!!! Were Millwall so pith-poor? Even if they were, how come we got such a cracking scoreline? After all, some of our recent performances have given the impression that the players weren't really up for it. So what was different?

By Surrey Saddler on Saturday, September 21, 2002 - 05:19 pm: Edit

Great result today. Driller looks for goal all the time and wants to shoot. Just the sort of striker we need. Perfect header for the first goal off an inch perfect Corica cross. The defence were sound. After we scored the marking was spot on. CL must have had a word with them after Rotherham. Then Wracky took the ball up the left and headed for goal. Nice piece of skill to pull the ball back to his right foot, see off the defender and place an unstopable shot past the keeper. 2-0 and half time is still far off. Defence still sound with tight marking. After the interval we played it along the ground for a while and looked composed. Then, continuous pressure from Millwall for a while but we kept it tight. Hay had to go off and on came Barras who continued the good work. Hope Hay is not seriously injured, he was very composed throughout. Driller received a bad tackle from a frustrated lion- went off, hope he is not badly hurt as he is on a goal scoring run. We need that. Jorge then wraps it up and its 3-0.My man of the match- has to be Wrack- he worked his socks off and made some great runs. Ropes had a great game as well. O'Conner played a captain's part but still looks a little out of sorts. Still carrying an injury may be.We need to build on this performance!

By Neil Ravenscroft on Saturday, September 21, 2002 - 05:30 pm: Edit

Lee was asked on WM about the injuries. Hay apparantly was just feeling the strain of so many games after such a long lay off. Driller is suffering from a problem with his heels and just needs some rest.

By Steve Roy on Saturday, September 21, 2002 - 05:38 pm: Edit

Reprinted from homepage, match report.
Apologies for upthesaddlers pre-match prediction of a 3-1 Saddlers win - we were generous enough to give Millwall a goal. After Walsall's best away performance for many years today, it is all smiles back around Bescot as Walsall thumped the Londoners with three quality goals without reply.
Colin Lee replaced Carbon with Roper at the back, with Fitzroy Simpson in for the suspended Sonner. Surprisingly Darren Wrack played on the left, Fitz on the right. The Saddlers ran out to the sounds of one of football's loudest PA systems, and a feast of football followed.
After a quiet start the game came to live as Walsall forced a series of corners. Then as the match ebbed, the ball went out wide right to Steve Corica, his pinpoint cross was met brilliantly by Aussie David Zdrilic - rare to see a header beat a keeper from so far out, but brilliantly placed into the top corner. Steve Claridge then fell over, which he spent most of the match doing, to cries of "Donkey", "Get your pension out" and "If you were a horse you'd be shot". Then 35 minutes in the ball was held up superbly by Jorge Leitao on halfway, his pass fed Darren Wrack bursting down the wing, we all groaned as he cut inside, but he unleashed a blockbuster that flew into the net leaving Tony Warner floundering. Unluckiest man of the half was Darren Bazelely, who took a full ball in the guts standing a yard away from a Danny Hay clearance, then two minutes later clashed heads on the halfway line. With our supporters now in full cry, the first half was complete when Millwall's best player, Paul Ifill, dived in the box and was booked.
Second half Millwall came at us, as you'd expect. The lads behind me were worried we were defending too deep, but Danny Hay and Ian Roper looked very solid. Hay took several knocks and was forced off replaced by Tony Barras on 65 minutes. On 75 minutes good work down the right saw a ball in from Corica on the edge of the box, the ball broke kindly and Portugese man of war Jorge Leitao had just the keeper to beat. He coolly slotted home, to send the fans directly above him wild with delight. Cries of "Cheer up Mark McGhee" rang out, and the last ten minutes were played out in relative comfort. Keeper Warner did well to tip over a sizzling Darren Wrack shot from the edge of the box, but minutes later Warner aptly summarised Millwall's woeful afternoon when he fell flat on his face taking a goal-kick.
Sensational afternoon for the Saddlers, we roar up the table to 15th, Zdrilic looked class - he shoots on sight, just the sort of striker we need, Jorge ran his socks off, Steve Corica set up two of the goals, Wrack showed his goal-scoring touch of 98-99 might be coming back and took the upthesaddlers man of the match award, and Zigor didn't put a foot wrong! If they play like this every week, the house full signs at Bescot will be dusted off and stay up for the season!
Were you watching Dennis Wise?

By popperpancake on Saturday, September 21, 2002 - 05:48 pm: Edit

Crikey. Well done to the boys and CL. Top response to the rotherham episode.

By WarsawSaddler on Saturday, September 21, 2002 - 05:59 pm: Edit

Was Fitz playing as a winger?? I cant get my head round how we played; I wasnt there and I couldnt get a commentary. By the way, did anyone get an internet commentary?

By Neil Ravenscroft on Saturday, September 21, 2002 - 06:23 pm: Edit

Are the people who were criticising Dzrillic ealrier this season going to get the humble pie out now?

By PT on Saturday, September 21, 2002 - 07:18 pm: Edit

Driller & Jorge deserve to be told that, barring injury they will be picked for the next half dozen games or so. Conitinuity & familiarity in areas of partnership (e.g centre back/centre forward) often lead to success.
Colin Lee doesn't need a number two (stop sniggerin at the back Finbar). He should offer Mart an extra 10% to become Player/Coach & with the extra cash sign Fitzroy up till the end of the season - third start, third win, it's not a coincidence.
Although he's too professional to admit it, today's win was probably the most satisfying of Colin Lee's managerial career and getting three over on Mr Magoo must leave him feeling rightly smug. Well done Colin!!

By cat3 on Saturday, September 21, 2002 - 07:18 pm: Edit

Great Result! We are scoring goals, that's the footy I want, and Simpson is solid, if he continues to play like this, we might be not drop a single game at all. Zdrilic is splendid on top, and let' capitalize rival teams now while we are back on track with our form.... Go Go Sads!!!
1 down 30 or so more to go...

By Neil Ravenscroft on Saturday, September 21, 2002 - 07:36 pm: Edit

and only one point behind the Dingles!

By Stu on Saturday, September 21, 2002 - 07:42 pm: Edit

SaddlersWorld commentary was down today apparently, a problem with the match in specific from the broadcasting end, not at the Walsall end.

Didnt fancy going today after recent performances. Bloody typical.

Sounded like a great performance. I got the last 15 minutes of the Millwall commentary, they said we deserved credit for defending well in numbers, breaking out quickly, good and swift passing movements and clinical finishing. What a change, lets hope that this kick starts our season.

Great to see Driller score again, as I said he'd score goals. He has scored everywhere he has been, including for Aussie. Even ignoring his 8 goal blitz against W.Samoa, 10 in 21 is bloody good. It doesn't matter who its against, its all about taking the chances when they come your way. He seems to do that, and he also likes to shoot when he sees the goal, what a pleasent change. Maybe he'll bring the best out of Jorge as well!

Presume we played 4-3-1-2 with Simmo, Mart and Wrack in the middle. Full credit to Wrack who the Lions commentary said was superb. I've given him some stick as I often find his "runs" often leave us exposed and leave huge gaps. But, if he can find a bit of consistency he will be a benefit to the team because he does make those runs. Also, that goal could be vital to his confidence and he might start shooting a bit more often now.

Bring on the Wendy.

By aravinda singh on Saturday, September 21, 2002 - 07:45 pm: Edit

good effort boys!!

About time we had some LUCK (not that we needed it today!)

We played positive and ATTACKING football, which we all love..

I think Zdrilic has changed the team around. He works hard and the players have someone who they can use as a Target!! I admit he fluffed a few of his chances BUT he kept going, had a go and scored a neat header to put us on our way.

Full marks to Jorge too..ran his guts out and showed the confidence of our attackers!!

Dont need any Strikers now MR. Lee!!

By Geoff Whiting on Saturday, September 21, 2002 - 08:18 pm: Edit

Great result today - thus avoided the feared September whitewash thank God. Like Stu I got the Millwall commentary late on; when we went 3-0 up their commentator acknowledged we fully deserved the lead, described us as "excellent".

Did anyone note Colin Lee's interview on WM ? He was very pleased of course, but also very polite and dignified in his comments about McGhee and Millwall - ignorant sod McGhee might take a lesson from CL after the nasty childish comments he came out with following last season's 2-2 draw down at The Den

By Andy W on Saturday, September 21, 2002 - 08:25 pm: Edit

Warsaw, I thought we played more of a 4-4-2 today with Corica seeming to play more on the right wing and Wrack on the left but with both of them, especially, Wrack drifting across the park as he/they saw fit when we had the ball going forward. He made one excellent run through the middle which deserved a goal and probably would have been had Driller not just overstruck his through ball and Warner managed to actually pick the ball up cleanly for just about the only time in the match - did he catch anything?

Can't help feeling that Roper was unlucky to get dropped and he was excellent again today. Simmo to stay and Sonner for the bench??

Looked to me as though Hay was holding his groin for a minute or so and then went down and had an ice pack on it when he sat on the bench when he came off. Driller had been feeling his right calf for a while and then got done on his knee and got taken off. Our new kit man - Pedro - went for another trip to the bar for more ice and Driller sat by the bench with the ice on it. His predecessor, Tommy Bradley, probably never expected such a busy day on his return to first team physio's duty!

Good to see Mick Halsall pushing all of the players in the fans direction at the end of the game to receive a rousing ovation.

Also impressed with the genuine Millwall fans applauding us off the field at the end. It appeared that their members only scheme has put off all the meatheads from attending as there was none of the usual baiting from the stand to the left of the away end.

I don't think there's much in this division this season - consistency is the key. We really could have taken at least another six points from the 4 defeats we've just suffered. However, not wanting to take anything away from today's excellent performance, Millwall really didn't threaten us or did we stiffle them. Only Ifill appeared to offer them anything and he ran across the pitch more than going forward.

Enough of my ramblings ......

By WarsawSaddler on Sunday, September 22, 2002 - 06:07 am: Edit

That is what I wanted to hear really. Almost everybody seemed to think 4-4-2 was the answer, even Colin Lee, he just didnt seem to be able to bring himself to do it. Wrackie did well then, if he did so well playing on the left. I suppose if he and Corica can play on both sides it makes sense to have them swapping and so harder to mark.

By Geordiesaddler on Sunday, September 22, 2002 - 09:33 am: Edit

The Sunday Haiku.

Amidst the gloom
Colin Lee took the blame
And then took control.

By Oxford English Dictionary on Sunday, September 22, 2002 - 06:09 pm: Edit

Haiku: a Japanese poem in three lines of 5,7,5 syllables.

By Ian Gittins on Sunday, September 22, 2002 - 08:20 pm: Edit

I thought we were genuinely excellent at Millwall. The most promising aspect was that Zdrilic and Leitao clearly have potential to be a potent combination, plus none of the defence put a foot wrong. Never thought I'd say this, but Wrack was a revelation, a source of ideas rather than a liability, and took his goal skilfully, as indeed they all did. I wouldn't change a thing for the next game, which means there are good players like Carbon, Sonner and Junior pushing from the sidelines - a good situation.

By Ian Gittins on Sunday, September 22, 2002 - 08:24 pm: Edit

Interestingly, according to the Observer today, we are taking Dion Dublin and Steve Stone on loan from Villa. They'd be assets, but I don't think they'd get in the team for the next game.

By Neil Ravenscroft on Sunday, September 22, 2002 - 08:33 pm: Edit

I've seen the rumour, but Dublin played and scored for the Vile today. It might be like the Craig Hignett rumour - he played in the Uefa Cup last week!

By Geoff Whiting on Sunday, September 22, 2002 - 10:45 pm: Edit

And can we afford to pay the wages for the likes of Dublin and Stone ?
I'd rather see the side settled now around the squad and formation that performed so well at Millwall, as Ian says with some strong cover and competition "on the bench" as back-up.
If any money can be made available, I'd prefer to see it used to give Fitz a contract, rather than finance temporary loan deals for a few weeks.
The last two games we've been good going forward, even though defensive lapses "shot us in the foot" against Rotherham; in that game we were shooting on sight from the start, which inspired the crowd to get behind the team so well for the first time this season, and having fought back to equalise we definitely looked the likely winners until that stupid penalty.
Jorge's through ball for Wrack's goal yesterday showed great vision, probably the best thing Jorge's done all season, and the run and finish by Wrack were superb.
With the improvement up front and the better atmosphere we can hope for on Saturday with the GA Terrace open, I'm now a lot more confident of the points against Wednesday, so let's all hope there's no repeat of our disappointment in the same fixture last season.

By tony sydney on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 06:12 am: Edit

Well done Zdrilla .....keep banging them in!!!
good to see your fit again and doing what you know best.
from the boys back in in oz!!!

By Stu on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 07:52 am: Edit

Dublin & Stone??? You've gotta be kidding me, it really said that? I wouldn't hesitate, espeically Dublin.

I could sort of see Stone coming, as he is desperate to get away from Villa and he could put himself in the shop window for when the window re-opens. As for Dublin, he did come off the bench yesterday but when you consider that the Villa already have Crouch, Allback, Angel and Vassell, it wouldn't surprise me if Dublin left to make way for someone else in January!

Can't see it happening though personally. Love it if it did, it'd put 1500-2000 on the gate, or at least it should do.

By Geordiesaddler on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 08:11 am: Edit

Oxford English Dictionary - we've already had the discussion about the definition of a Haiku. The 5-7-5 formation can not be applied literally because the Japanese alphabet is different to English. Therefore the dictionary definition is wrong.

By SheffieldSaddler on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 08:11 am: Edit

After last season we must beat Sheffield Wednesday. Having outplayed them at Hillsborough and come out with zero points, and collapsed against them at Bescot, again zero points.
I cannot stand another defeat with half of my mates supporting the pigs!

By Mal on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 08:15 am: Edit

Well, welll after the misery of Rotherham, Bradford & Reading we go the Den and grab 3 with a clean sheet to boot.

Not wanting to be a pessamist but for those who went was it a massive improvement or are Millwall just really bad. Looking forward to the Sheff Wed game now but hope they turn in a good performance, but I'll take three points whatever

By Ian Gittins on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 08:48 am: Edit

Millwall were poor, yes, but not as woeful as Brighton, where we basically had nobody to play. We deserve the credit - it was simply a hugely improved and promising all-round performance.

By Geordiesaddler on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 09:14 am: Edit

Why the tendency to always dwell on how poor the opposition were when we win a game. Any kind of win at Millwall, yet alone a 3-0 one is fantastic. Also, maybe Reading (just won at Wolves and in top half), Bradford (one defeat in six), and Rotherham (5th top), are all half decent sides.

By RushallSaddler on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 09:37 am: Edit

How many saddlers fans did we have at Millwall, as we didn't go - one ground where we refuse to take the kids, but will probably be at the next three or four away fixtures, also was there any trouble before, during or after the game, as I have experienced some in the past down there.

By Don Rogers on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 09:47 am: Edit

See all of the messages above - not one mention of the class act, Zigor. Why not folks?? IF he can cut out the one aberration per game - and I hope! - he'll do! Clean sheet, collectively not bad at all! AND good old Reading won in dingletown!!!!

By Ian Gittins on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 09:51 am: Edit

I'm pretty hopeless at estimating numbers but I'd say around 350-400 or so. Not a hint of trouble, in fact it was the tamest I've ever known that touchy-feely crucible of positivity, the New Den. Plus most of their fans left after the third goal.

By RushallSaddler on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 10:04 am: Edit

Come on Preston! (Tuesday night only)

By phil g. on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 11:18 am: Edit

Didn't we lose to Wendy last season with our two new loan signings (midfielder and striker) from our neighbours in Brum making their debuts?
If the Stone/Dublin rumours are true, could it be history repeating itself?

By Manc Saddler on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 11:31 am: Edit

There'll be no loan signings, particularly these two. Bonser told Lee there was no money available last week unless he sells. The Observer is not up to date.

By Mal on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 11:34 am: Edit

GeordieSaddler, not dwelling on the opposition just wanting to get some perspective on the result, as fantastic as it was. You know one swallow and all that (oh christ cue the jokes).

I was just suprised that we appeared to be a completely different outfit but that has been one of Colins' concerns re consistency. The home game will be interesting as we have a tough month of away games in October and I think the lads have something to prove. However I would still love to know what is going on with Harry and Dani not being anywhere near the squad at present.

As for the Vile players, Dion maybe, but I would rather have a centre mid man that Stone as good as he is

By RushallSaddler on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 11:36 am: Edit

Sunday People also carried same story about Dublin and Stone

By Stu on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 11:51 am: Edit

If Villa are prepared to pay the majority of their wages, say 90%, it wouldn't surprise me too much if a couple left on loan (Gadsby and another) to allow us to bring in 1 or maybe 2 new faces.
It might benefit Villa to pay a huge chunk of their wages if it increases the chance of them being sold in January, as that makes cash available for Taylor to buy as they're short on cash to spend as well!

By Stu on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 12:02 pm: Edit

Rushall, according to the match report in the E&S, the number of travelling fans were 226!

By Neil Ravenscroft on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 12:02 pm: Edit

Sense, there. After all, he farmed Gadsby out once and then brought him back during the injury crisis.

By Ian Gittins on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 01:05 pm: Edit

There you go. I told you I was hopeless at estimating fan numbers.

By RushallSaddler on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 01:26 pm: Edit

Thanks Stu - thats about as many as I thought would go to the horrible place.

Ian I'll wait until you've made your estimate in doffers compo before I enter mine then.

By Shifnalsaddler on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 09:39 pm: Edit

I don't think Millwall is horrible, not like it was years ago.
I've walked around there, gone for chips, talked to some of their fans, it's OK. I think the nutjobs come out for the big teams, City, Blues last year, Wolves, and the local derbies. But Walsall.......nah, they ain't bothered about us.
Mind you, I haven't ever summoned the courage to go in any of their pubs yet.
There are worse places to go I think, Cardiff, Swansea, Blues, for instance.

As for the match, 442, and Corica fitting into the formation, rather than the formation being fitted round Corica, made a big difference.

Also, the full backs attacked less than in any other game this season, so we were more solid at the back, and the excellent Ifill always had a fullback to run at, rather than an empty space. And that tactic that Reading and Ipswich exploited so well, where they drop the ball in behind the full back for the central striker to pick up, which pulls a centre half across to cover and leaves us all out of shape....well that wouldn't have worked saturday, even if the Millwall midfield could have got enough of the ball off Fitz and MOC to try it.

And as for Wracky, what can I say, superb goal, although his performance was pretty much the same as what he's been doing all season, but hopefully now he will get the credit he deserves rather than all that nonsensical abuse.

Blimey, gone on a bit haven't I? Does this mean I'm turning into an accountant?

By Shifnalsaddler on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 09:49 pm: Edit

What was interesting saturday is that the stand to the left of the away end, which normally has loads of people in the upper tier who don't watch the game but just abuse the away fans at every game, was pretty quiet. Maybe the membership scheme or whatever they are doing has had an effect.

Clubs can change though. Anyone who was around in the seventies will know that one game where there was trouble almost guaranteed was Charlton Athletic at FP. And the Valley was a nasty place to visit, nothing like the fluffy place it was last january. In a few years time maybe Millwall will be like Charlton. let's hope so.

Now, where are those accountancy modules, I've got some studying to do.

By Geoff Whiting on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 10:59 pm: Edit

No Shifnal, you're not turning into an accountant, you're talking too much sense for that. Then again, if you want a top job with our firm you can join our football discussion department, I can probably find you a position, usually takes up about 5 hours of the working day, then 2 hours for tea/coffee and sticky buns, leaves 0.5 hours for work, that's more than enough work for anybody I'd say.

Back to the game, I've only seen the goals on TV, I agree Wrack's was SUPERB but the ball from Jorge to set it up was an absolute peach - more of that from him and I'll be well happy. The run and finish reminded me of the Wracky of old, and that can't be bad.

Corica's cross and Driller's header, fantastic, but I'm not sure they could beat the keeper from that range too often.

And Jorge's goal, a crisp strike for a change, suggests his confidence may be coming back.

Altogether very encouraging, now let's see the crowd get behind the lads, especially with the GA terrace open again on Saturday.

By Exile on Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 04:11 am: Edit

Geoff -you forgot the 20 minutes rifling through the stationery cupboard.

That leaves 10 minutes per working day, bill for 9.5 hours, that's standard in your industry, isn't it (excluding Friday lunches which tax deductible of course)?

Cheers
Exile

By Geoff Whiting on Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 06:51 am: Edit

Exile, your right, thanks, I over-looked the stationery cupboard, though we don't do that EVERY day, say 2 days per week maximum.
You're wrong about the Friday lunches though, they're unfortunately not tax deductible.

By Tim Wilkes on Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 08:06 am: Edit

You can get ointment for sticky buns Geoff, but I don't think the prescription charge is Tax Deductable.
Given the popularity of the 'Cricket Thread' [oh yes it was!!!!] I am contemplating beginning an Accounting Thread.

By Soon to Star At the Hippodrome! on Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 08:31 am: Edit

Ohhhh nooooo it wasn't!

By Geoff Whiting on Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 04:30 pm: Edit

Nice one about the the ointment Tim, very droll. It's tax deductible if it's provided for the staff, not for me, but fortunately I don't suffer from the "sticky buns" affliction. Haven't checked yet whether the female staffs' "buns" are sticky or not - my age and threats of sexual harrassment and all that crap tend to put me off.

Please Tim, no Accounting thread, unless we're talking Saddlers' finances.

By alli on Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 06:04 pm: Edit

How the hell did we win 3-0? Away? Millwall must have been crap. But i am glad to have the three points.
Dion Dublin? I doubt it.

By Geoff Whiting on Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 06:09 pm: Edit

Perhaps the same way we lost 4-3 to Rotherham, alli - MINUS the defensive lapses ?

By JPD on Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 01:42 am: Edit

Geoff - plus 5 minutes each afternoon after the pub photocopying bodily parts.

By Geoff Whiting on Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 07:05 am: Edit

Christ, JPD, which firm of accountants do YOU (or your mates) work for ?? LoL

By Ian Gittins on Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 07:28 am: Edit

Well, accountants normally want an arm and a leg.

By Exile on Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 07:02 pm: Edit

....and there's always the 15 minutes every morning sitting on the toilet reading your typing girl's copy of The Sun (because of course you wouldn't be seen dead buying anything other than the Guardian!).

By my reckoning you're already on overtime! Luckily you're a salaried chap so you're doing it for the love of the company!

Cheers
Exile

PS - Is that enough gratuitous exclamation marking for you!?!?!

By Geoff Whiting on Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 07:41 pm: Edit

Not bad Exile, a reasonable effort with the exclamation marks I must say, you'll do for me, mate.

However, I doubt if my gorgeous secretary will thank you for referring to her as "the typing girl". The words "kisser", "wet fish", "across", "the", "with", "a" and "slap" come to mind, so stay well away.

I don't buy the Guardian, just get the Financial Times to put in reception to impress the clients. I only read the Express & Star sports pages myself

By Latefortheumpteenthtime on Friday, September 27, 2002 - 07:12 am: Edit

This clock is till wrong - nearly late for work this morning, can't have that can we

Return to 2002-03 Season