Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Brighton (a) - League - 26th August 2002

Reports and reaction from the 2002-03 season as Walsall finished 17th in Division 1
Andy
UTS Regular

Brighton (a) - League - 26th August 2002

Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:52 pm

Brighton 0 Walsall 2 (Corica 6, Leitao 7)
Walker , Aranalde , Bazeley , Roper , Hay , Corica (Zdrilic 33) , Sonner , Simpson , Leitao , Wrack , Birch (Matias 71)

Walsall scored twice in two first-half minutes to claim a deserved victory at the Withdean Stadium and condemn Brighton to their third league defeat in succession. The Saddlers wrapped up the result within seven minutes of the kick-off as goals from Steve Corica and Jorge Leitao put the match beyond Albion.

The Seagulls have now failed to score in more than 300 minutes of competitive football. Colin Lee's side were unfortunate not to add further goals having created by far the better chances and despite a drastic improvement after half-time, the Seagulls rarely looked like finding the net.

Brighton, without injured Bobby Zamora, started badly, as unmarked midfielder Corica collected the ball on six yards out and fired into the bottom corner of the net. And 60 seconds later, Walsall doubled their advantage with a quality finish from Leitao, who drove the ball past goalkeeper Andy Petterson from the edge of the box.

A long-range Danny Marney effort aside, Brighton rarely tested James Walker in the Walsall goal. Petterson produced a brilliant save to deny Leitao a second goal on the stroke of half-time, and after the break the hosts looked sharper. However, the impressive Leitao always threatened, forcing another save from Petterson.

Danny Hay was controversially booked after bringing down Marney, although the defender looked to be the last man and was fortunate not to be shown a red card. As tempers flared, Walker, Bazeley and Ian Roper were all cautioned for dissent. Brighton's desperation was summed up eight minutes from time when Pethick fired wildly into the crowd from 35 yards.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Dave Hawkes on Monday, August 26, 2002 - 05:34 pm: Edit

A very good result today, expected us to get something but we seemed to win with ease (never went but we sounded good on WM).

Considering our injury problems, the fact that we have so many new players, and the tricky fixture list, we have done really well this month. 7 points from 5 games is very good form, easily top-16 come the end of the season.

Nice to see Jorge scored. Looked sluggish against Forest but there's still a good player in there, and if he can get some service and some form he can easily hit 10-15 goals this season.

Well done lads, lets make it three in a row next week! Pity Brighton didn't score though, I predicted 2-1 on Rivals prediction league! ;-)

The best Saddlers links on the web, only at The Walsall Web!

By behind enermy lines on Monday, August 26, 2002 - 07:18 pm: Edit

I followed through wm as well loved to seen the ref in the flesh as I could not belive what I was hearing. Glad jorge got back on the case with a goal, looked sluggish the last few games hope corica is fit for saturday, makes a change from the moans coming from the birmingham 3 (ha ha )
plus I wish mick kerns would stop going on about what he eats.

By cat3 on Monday, August 26, 2002 - 07:26 pm: Edit

Another good win.. We are on a roll... Go Go Sads!!!! We are going up, up and away!!! Baseley, he's marvelous at the back... Dynamite!!!

By SheffieldSaddler on Monday, August 26, 2002 - 08:03 pm: Edit

Remember 2 matches into the season, we had lost to Ipswich and Wolves(the 2 promotion favourites)..... people on the this board had us relegated! Now look, we have played teams who wont feature in the promotion race and we get 7 points from 9.
These are the matches we should be getting points from and we have. Forget about the points from teams such as Ipswich and Wolves, if you get anything its a bonus. The bread and butter teams like Brighton, Forest, Rotherham, Grimsby are the teams you need points from to get to the dizzy heights of 10th!
Well done the lads, Jorge is back on the scoresheet and we still have Carbon and O'Connor not in the team. Others not 100% like Hay and Zdrillic.
What will happen when all the squad is fit.... who knows!

By Ian Gittins on Monday, August 26, 2002 - 08:03 pm: Edit

A good win today, although we looked a bit short on creativity after Corica went off. Luckily, Brighton were awful.

Does anybody know who the loudmouth buffoon was in the red-and-white striped t-shirt and blue baseball cap was, at the back of the Walsall fans? He was a fat bloke in his 40s, who kept shouting to Uriah Rennie to "go back to the jungle" and calling him a "black b*stard". It was extremely depressing - I thought retards like him had vanished in the late '80s, and really regret that I didn't get a copper to chuck him out. Next time I see him doing it at a game, I well. It's just so pathetic, especially as the cretin was loudly cheering Fitzroy 20 seconds later. If anyone knows his name, it'd be good to know.

Otherwise, 10th in the table - looking good!

By StevefromMachen on Monday, August 26, 2002 - 08:25 pm: Edit

A great result today - even if the highlight of the match was Mick Kearn's sandwich eating escapades(I'm sooooo glad I forked out for Saddler's world!)
I'd like to know what other fans reactions are to Dave Zdrillic. I've got a terrible feeling he may turn out to be a bit of a turkey. As the live match reporting was not of the highest standard today - it's a bit hard to judge.
Cheers all - UP THE SADDLERS!

By cat3 on Monday, August 26, 2002 - 08:46 pm: Edit

We are going to destruct Reading next week with our current form... Martin O'Connor hasn't yet start and we are doing excellent while Zil isn't 100% ready and famaliar with English football...

Simpson must get a contract, he's pretty supportive by far... I give him my chant and applause... He's a fine Walsall player in uniform who gives 100% on every game... Cheers to all who support Sads... We are on a roll!!! There's really nothing much to improve, probably a left winger to back Matias, let's just cross our fingers he won't get badly hurt this season, otherwise, our attack formation will be in ruins...

By SheffieldSaddler on Monday, August 26, 2002 - 08:48 pm: Edit

I think Zdrillic should be given a decent chance by all Walsall supporters. Firstly he is not 100% fit. Secondly he has not played in the first division before. Give the bloke at least 10 games before we really see what he is made of. I have a feeling he wont disappoint us.

By Neil Ravenscroft on Monday, August 26, 2002 - 08:58 pm: Edit

I agree that the first two games were always right offs. If Ipswich can hang onto star players, they and Wolves look near certainties (I'm sorry to say), along with Portsmouth. If we can keep this sort of record going against the bread and butter teams of the Division - no problems!

By Geordiesaddler on Monday, August 26, 2002 - 09:07 pm: Edit

Pain is unrequited love
Our hearts are eased by
Simmo's free passes.

By Blinko on Monday, August 26, 2002 - 10:17 pm: Edit

Rammell scored today - then got sent off.

By popperpancake on Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 01:13 am: Edit

Great couple of results. Didn't go to brighton so can't say too much except it sounded pretty comfortable. I fancied them to go down at the start of the season and listening to the match on wm today they seemed to agree. Thought the forest game was a great match. We played really well (apart from the obvious lack of a finishing touch). Impressed with the notts team too..never made it easy for us and didn't try to shut up shop and try to sneak a goal but just kept on plugging away.

By Frustrated Saddler on Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 02:52 am: Edit

Three of the easiest points we will get all season.
Walker - little to do
Bazeley - started well but distribution worsened as the game wore on
Roper & Hay - rarely troubled and looked well in command. Kiwi followers will be pleased to learn that Hay is steadily settling in.
Aranalde - I have been a strong critic of him but he was remarkably error free
Birch - worked hard
Sonner - good on the ball but not involved enough for my liking
Simpson - did his contract hopes no harm
Wrack - not the player he was when he first joined us
Corica - class albeit for only a brief spell
Leitao - worked willingly and a superb goal.
Zdrilic - the jury's still out
Matias - only on for a short spell

Referee (Joe Ross) - apart from totally losing the plot (and his red card) midway through the second half he was o.k. despite what the Saddlers' fans chanted at him! It was an excellent tackle by Hay and merited no punishment at all. Interesting to see that Simpson stuck the red card down the back of his shorts! Perhaps he thought that was the best course of action for a bloke in a place with the reputation that Brighton has? (Apologies for homophobic joke!)
It has to be said that Brighton were truly awful. Their only hope of survival is to hang on to Zamora and hope he can continue to score goals. Saddlers played well until Corica went off then were scrappy but still good enough to control Brighton.
All in all - a good day out. Shame about the Withdean Stadium. Good luck to Brighton in their attempts to move to a new ground at Falmer.

By Delves Saddler on Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 09:02 am: Edit

Went to Brighton and thought it a comfortable win. We got the early goals and did enough to keep the lead (and what a goal from Jorge!).

Gary Birch (set up corica's goal) gets better with every match and if he carries on like this, we will have one hell of a player on our hands.

I wish Wrack would stop drifting inside when we haven't got the ball!! Their full back was in acres on numerous occasions.

Zdrillic will adapt, although with Birch and hopefully Junior (looked class at Hednesford in pre-season), he will be hard pushed to get a starting place.

Doffer, I wish you had stayed asleep!!!

By Stu on Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 09:45 am: Edit

Quite a simple 3 points yesterday without ever moving out of 2nd gear. Brighton were awful, and Bobby Zamora must be one hell of a player if they're so bad without him.

If Jorge had put that header in that the keeper saved towards the end of the first half, we'd have gone on for 5 or 6 I think, but at 2-0, we seemed to scared to push forward too much. And rightly so, as our aim was 3 points. But, I did feel we sat slightly too deep at times and gave them too much time.
Although, it was good to see us defend like a 1st division team, ie, string men across the pitch and force them into diagonal balls into the box. This is a trick that we fell for constantly last season, and its nice to see us using the same trick on other teams.
Hopefully that cracking goal for Jorge will give him a much needed confidence boost and he can get on to 15-18 goals this season.
Zdrillic looked lively and won a lot in the air. Although, I was disappointed we didn't go 4-4-2 with Jorge and Zdrillic, we carried on playing that 4-4-1-1 with Jorge and Zdrillic taking turns to drop into the deeper position.

Overall, comfortable victory in 2nd gear. Brighton were crap, the ground was shambolic. The Ref provided the 2nd half entertainment as he was dire. 6 pts out of 6 on the Bank Holiday weekend is great, I would have been pleased with 4 points at 2.59pm on Saturday. And with Reading, Bradford & Rotherham at home in 3 of our next 4 games, we should be looking to win all of those as well.

By Tim Wilkes on Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 11:25 am: Edit

Also, what is the point of having a linesman who has lost the use of his arms. Twice the ball was out by yards and still he refused to raise his flag until the ref indicated which way the throw was.

PS
If any of you saw a man on Brighton seafont, trying to pick his cod and chips up off the floor while being mobbed by Seagulls...that was me!

By Stephen Goadby on Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 12:26 pm: Edit

Regarding Ian Gittins posting. That bloke who thought racist abuse is acceptable really depressed me. I find it equally depressing to be too fearful to say or do anything, and that the stewards who spent most of the second half staring at him made no effort to fulfil the promise in the Programme of immediate ejection for such abuse. Am I alone in this?

Apart from that, a very enjoyable Bank Holiday Monday.

Also spoke to (gloated at) some Brighton fans afterwards - they had a big solidarity stay away from Selhurst Park on the Saturday. Are we going to go to Wimbledon away (16th November)?

By DD on Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 12:50 pm: Edit

I'll make a banner, hold a placard, march with my comrades but between 3 pm and 4.50pm I only care about the Saddlers.

By Ian Gittins on Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 01:13 pm: Edit

Stephen Goadby, yes I noticed the stewards staring pointedly at the racist loudmouth as well, but they didn't tackle him. I may be a Guardian-reading bleeding heart liberal (in fact, I am) but that's not the point: it beggars belief that in 2002 there are people who see no problem at all in yelling "get back to the jungle you black b*stard". I'm looking out for him from now on, and will tell the cops if he does anything similar again.

Not sure I agree with the person above who thought Zdrilic did well, he looked really slow and cumbersome to me, although I agree with Sheff it's too early to judge him. It seems churlish to complain after an away win, but midfield was a bit stolid, with Sonner, Simpson and Wrack all seemingly playing a holding role. What a shame that Lee seems allergic to Harry, who wasn't even on the bench yesterday. Ah well, three points is three points...

By Geordiesaddler on Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 01:47 pm: Edit

We'll only take about 300 anyhow, so the crowd will be embarrasingly low. The week before they've got Rotherham at home on a Tuesday night. More power to the Dons fans and their new club, I hope the old club dies on it's feet - could have happened to us, did happen to Brighton (for a while), hence the empathy.

By Stu on Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 02:07 pm: Edit

Brighton fans had a stay away at Selhurst Park! My arse they did.

They took about 2000 fans. We walked down with a few Brighton fans who showed us the way off the train, they said there were about 400-600 Wimbledon fans in a crowd of just over 2500, the rest were Brighton. And I refuse to believe that Brighton take 2000 fans everywhere, so I think they're telling you a porkie.

As for whether I'll be at Wimbledon. As said above, I feel really sorry for what they've been through. But, my first aim is to support Walsall, and if that means going to Selhurst Park I will. Even more so, as the attendance might not reach 1000 as I can only see us taking 300-400 tops, we'll need some numbers to cheer the lads on.

By Delves Saddler on Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 02:52 pm: Edit

Absolutely. We are Walsall supporters first and foremost. Then we are football fans.

By popperpancake on Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 04:03 pm: Edit

The squad at the moment is actually quite strong i think. Change of subject i know but there u go. The emergence of wright and especially birch has made a big difference as to be honest i thought b4 the start of the season that neither was up to it. Did anyone know birch could play as a wide player on either side? Did he know? Junior will be interesting when we finally get clearance. Interesting because Lee seems to rate both jorge and zdrilic very highly, but also seems to think junior is fantastic too. We gonna play 3 strikers?I dont think so, never mind where corica is gonna play. The one long term move i think lee will be looking to go for is .... herivelto (even tho i like him)out....fitzroy permanently in. If someone has to leave in order to bring a player on a contract then the main candidates have to be herivelto and gadsby. Both of who could •••• off and we could bring in fitz (cover for left back plus midfield) and junior. It is the first time for a while that i am unsure who is our first choice eleven when everyone is fit. Presumably lee has this in mind as he keeps saying i havent been able to field my best team yet. So, i wanna know who everyone thinks is our (colin lee's) first choice 11...(include all injured players, non contract players and junior!). I know its a squad game but who'd play if everyone was on top form and injury free?

By Tim Wilkes on Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 04:24 pm: Edit

Walker
Aranalde
Bazley
Roper
Carbon
O'Connor
Sonner
Wrack
Mathias
Jorge
Corica
This is a bit harsh on Hay, who looks OK, and Simpson, who I would find a place for, perhaps at the expense of Wrack or Pedro.

By Stu on Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 04:44 pm: Edit

I think he gives us a clue as recently he has said he is having to choose the players first and the formation second due to our injury problems.
As opposed to being able to choose his formation first and players second, which is how he will operate when everyone is fit. Thus, our recent use of 4-4-1-1 I think is just temporary, as we saw on the opening day he started with 4-3-1-2.

So, I think we'll revert to 4-3-1-2, and this would be my choice
Walker
Bazeley-Hay-Carbon-Aranalde
Sonner-O'Connor-Simpson
Corica
Zdrillic-Leitao (or Junior for one of those)

Although, taking into account Roper's form so far this season and bearing in mind that Darren and Zig could both play wingback. I'd rather see a 3-5-2
Walker
Roper-Hay-Carbon
Bazeley-O'Connor-Sonner-Aranalde
Corica
Zdrillic-Leitao (or Junior for one of those)

Subs: Ward, Simpson, Wrack, Junior, Birch/Barras.

We wouldn't need a defender, as we have 5 on the pitch.

By Dave Hawkes on Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 05:52 pm: Edit

I'd go for 4-3-1-2 with...

Walker; Bazeley, Roper, Carbon, Aranalde; Sonner, O'Connor, Simpson; Corica; Leitao, Zdrilic.

Hay gives us cover in defence, or the option of playing 3 at the back. Herivelto, Wrack, Rodrigues and Matias offer width and attacking threat, although Matias has lost the plot lately, and Wrack needs to work on crossing/finishing if he's going to get forward.

Up front, we can play Rodrigues, Junior or Corica with Jorge/Zdrilic. We could even play Herivelto instead of Corica if he gets injured. Birch could play up-front, or on the right wing.

The possibilites are endless my friends...

The best Walsall links at http://www.thewalsallweb.cjb.com

By Moaning Saddler on Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 07:59 pm: Edit

A considered view on 6 out of 6 from The Bescot and The Withdean.....

http://www.geocities.com/pinsticker1/fo ... dlers.html

By Delves Saddler on Wednesday, August 28, 2002 - 08:53 am: Edit

So still noone knows the first choice line up as we have lots of 'or' and '/'.

Shows how strong a squad we have when fully fit.

Roper would always be my first choice centre half. Superb again on Monday.

By MR D DOFFER on Wednesday, August 28, 2002 - 03:01 pm: Edit

DOFFER HERE DELVESBOY

Sorry I stayed awake mate, hope you enjoyed the match never the less.

see you soon mate

DOFFER

By cat3 on Wednesday, August 28, 2002 - 06:49 pm: Edit

Best Formations - 1-4-1-1-3-1, 1-4-1-2-2-1 and 1-4-1-2-1-2 direct attack all the way!!! We shall destruct Reading this Sat..

By Binary Saddler on Wednesday, August 28, 2002 - 08:01 pm: Edit

Best formation:-

By jen cox on Wednesday, August 28, 2002 - 10:15 pm: Edit

I've never heard of the binary formation before!!

By Betty on Wednesday, August 28, 2002 - 10:36 pm: Edit

What a load of rubbish you lot spout.

Walker
Bazeley
Roper
Hay
Aranalde
Wrack
O'Connor
Sonner
Corica
Zdrillic
Leitao

should be the 11, particularly at home in a 4-3-1-2 formation. Wrack does so much work which goes unnoticed (defending one second and attacking runs which go unnoticed by our other players) and Zdrillic looked to have some decent touches and a good work-rate. Simpson wont be around after October when someone offers him half-decent money. Can't you lot see that?? If he's so loyal to WFC like you all say then why did he turn us down in the summer? Simpson wont be here in October/November so lets stop building our midfield around him.
Carbon simply cannot be bothered to play. A simple shoulder injury has kept him out for three weeks and no talk of a return (it was said that rugby players would have played on with his injury) He doesnt want to play - much like last season.

Rant over.

By JPD on Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 03:27 am: Edit

A similar injury basically wrecked Bryan Robson's career Betty

By BlueSq.com on Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 08:27 am: Edit

The book on Stu or Sheffield Saddler pointing out that they haven't said that Simpson was so loyal to Walsall FC has closed although you can still get 1-5 on Sheffield throwing down the challenge to Betty to point to a post where is says Simpson is still loyal.

By SheffieldSaddler on Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 08:49 am: Edit

I cannot agree that Carbon "simply cannot be bothered to play". He has been brilliant and has also done Roper no end of good, remember how dire Roper was before Carbon came along, just look at him now, Carbons experience and influence has turned him into a half decent centre half. I would rate Carbon as one of the best centre halves in the first division to be honest.
Who said we were building the midfield around Simpson? I just cannot agree with this point whatsoever. Simpson has come in at a time when we have missed the skill and influence of O'Connor and also had various other midfield injuries. Thats the only reason we allowed him to come back, to help us out and to put him in the shop window. Mind you if I have to be honest I would rather have Simpson playing than people like Matias. I think we should offer him a contract as it is clear both now and the latter part of last season that the bloke is first division standard.
Rant over.

By Stu on Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 09:43 am: Edit

Carbon had a dislocated shoulder you daft sod! I don't call that a simple shoulder injury!

Also, I'll actually be surprised if we don't sign Simpson. After all, Lee hasn't thought twice about throwing him back in.
I see your point about Wrack, but I don't think he has the physical presence needed if we're going to play a 3 man midfield. Fact is, for once we've got a very good competitive squad and a good player will be left out.
Also, if you play Wrack, O'Connor, Sonner then you've got 3 right sided midfield players, no balance, no natural left side and therefore all our play is likely to go down the right and we'll become predictable. A left sided midfielder can at least give you the option to go down that side.

Whether Simpson stays or not is another matter, but look at it this way, if he doesn't get an offer from Saudi Arabia then we are his only option and we can sign him for less than we offered him in the summer!

By Stu on Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 09:46 am: Edit

Also, we're not talking about 2 months down the line. We're talking about now!

By the time we get to Watford next Saturday, O'Connor is expected to return and we will have every single squad player available to us, with the possible exception of Rodgriguez.

And, as it stands, I feel Simpson offers more than Wrack. If by October, Simpson is playing in Saudi Arabia, then so be it, but we're not talking about October...

By Ian Gittins on Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 10:32 am: Edit

Yes, I'd way rather see Simpson than Wrack. I think I'd rather see Lisa Siompson than Wrack. Is Rodrigues crocked, then? I wondered what had happened to him.

By flownswift on Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 10:52 am: Edit

Betty are you related to/do you fancy Wrack or something?

By Dave Hawkes on Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 10:53 am: Edit

Betty is obviously just taking the ••••. Surely no one can expect a central defender to play with a dislocated shoulder. Simmo turned us down in the summer because he was offered a crap deal. He's got a lot of money from what he's being saying so he thought he'd try his hand elswhere. Simple. And talking of simple... Mr Wrack. He makes all these good forward runs does he? Great. So when he's made these runs, he can waste it all by shooting high over the bar or crossing to the first defender. Give me Simpson anyday, who can pass brilliantly and play on the left nicely enough, whereas Wrack looks out of place in his natural position half the time. If we had van Nistlerooy here, are you saying you'd play Zdrilic simply because VN would bugger off shortly? Of course not, you play the best players you have in the best positions. Not Darren Wrack on the left side of midfield.

By MR D DOFFER on Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 12:24 pm: Edit

DOFFER HERE Betty boo

Well, u surely know what your talking about with every SADDLER agreeing with your posts, NOT!!
Your comments on wrack are total garbage.

CHEERS

By Wackywracky on Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 12:53 pm: Edit

Betty,

You are talking absolute sense about Wrack.
Mr D Doffer's comments merely confirm that opinion.

By popperpancake on Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 05:30 pm: Edit

Rugby players play on with dislocated shoulders? Wrack isn't as bad as people are making out. I'd find it hard to decide who to pick to join sonner and o'connor in a three man midfield. If u play Simpson u got three midfielders who are really quite similar. I think Lee would pick wrack ahead of simpson....how else do u explain his decision to offer wrack a more permanent deal (can't remember how long he has signed 4) and simpson his 6 month offer during the summer? CL obviously rates wrack. I can't imagine simpson was on considerably more money than wrack so that wouldn't explain it. U disagreeing with ur hero sheff? I'd be happy with either of them in the side to b honest.

By Wilma on Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 06:14 pm: Edit

Dave Hawkes doesn't rate Wrack. Neither does Duffer. Two great experts on all things WFC.
So obviously Wrack must be a good player!
Simple then ain't it? Want to know what's right? Just think the opposite of those two.

By Dave Hawkes on Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 06:27 pm: Edit

Didn't realise myself and the mighty Doffer were the only two that didn't rate the bloke! Didn't realise that Mr Wrack was such a whiz on the net either, because he doesn't get this sort of support down at the Bescot!

Lee rates Wrack. Then again, he also rates Zigor Aranalde, and I know for a fact that I'm not alone in thinking that he is way out of his depth in this league!

By MR D DOFFER on Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 08:20 pm: Edit

DOFFER HERE - Wilma

I'll give you £50 if you can get more people saying that Wrack will be still in the team when our super captain comes back.

You absolutely don't watch walsall. Your another armchair supporter who comes on the net when you've had 7 diamond whites and talk total garbage. I'll beat your first game 2 years ago was Cardiff! get off this site NOW!!

THE DOFFER

By Moaning Saddler on Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 09:12 pm: Edit

I think Wracky will still be in the team.....1-0 to Wilma.

By Stu on Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 09:57 pm: Edit

I think Wrack WILL still be in the team, but I personally wouldn't have him in the team.

So, does that count as 2-0 Wilma or 1-1?

By popperpancake on Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 11:21 pm: Edit

I think he'll still be in the team too. Personally like i said i'd find it a tough decision.

By Kidney nudging Saddler on Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 11:24 pm: Edit

I had a great time in Brighton, everybody was so friendly. Can't wait for the return game.

Ps. I like Wracky and i hope he's in the team come Saturday.

By Moaning Saddler on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 12:15 am: Edit

By my reckoning, 4-0 to Wilma.

(A great tribute to people who appreciate the finer points of the game).

By Anon on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 02:10 am: Edit

Wrack will definitely be in the team. £50 to Wilma?

By Exile on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 04:23 am: Edit

I've gotta side with Wilma, I'm afraid. That's the problem with being so many thousands of miles away. All the reports I've read and then passsed subjective judgement on suggest that Mr. Wrack has a work rate substantially in excess of that of an 80 year old diabetic's heart.

Does the backlash start or finish here?

Cheers all,
Exile

PS - I was so tempted to sign off as Fred Flintstone, but then thought the better of it...

By Wilma on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 07:05 am: Edit

Wracky will be in the team. Does my vote count?
Yabba dabba do pay up soon Doffer.

By Matt on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 09:45 am: Edit

Wrack should and will be in the team. CL rates him highly and Sir Ray rated him highly and I sure fancy their opinions over Doffers. How anyone can say Harry (or even Rodrigues) is a better option than Wrack is beyond me!?

But there you go, its all about opinions and no-one can like Harry AND Wracky cos they're totally the opposite. One's a decent, hard-working, intelligent player (in my opinion) and the other one's a selfish, good one minute and crap for 89, lazy chap who doesnt help his defence.

Like I said though Doffer, it is all about opinions but how you can say someones an 'armchair supporter' just because they think Wrack should be in the team is laughable. Harry didnt even make the reserve team on Tuesday which says it all.

By Dave Hawkes on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 10:54 am: Edit

I'll make it 70 million nil to Wilma because yes, he will still be in the team when O'Connor gets back I would imagine. I'd prefer it if he wasn't, but he will be. I'd hardly say you're sticking your neck out with that suggestion.

You're right Exile, the guy works hard. But if he's going to play and get forward, he needs to learn how to cross and finish, which he doesn't know how to do, tap in against Forest aside. He continually cr@ps himself when he is through on goal.

Matt, I don't think people are touting Harry to play instead of Wrack. I think the best replacement for him would be Fitz personally, as he can play on the left, with Mart in the middle and Sonner on the right of a middle three. I'd like to see Harry on the bench for bringing on if we need a sparkle going forward late in the game.

Also Matt, I think the Doffer is entitled to call Wilma what he likes. Read what Wilma said about him! He couldn't even spell his name right ;-)

Harry would easily make our 16 I feel, but Lee doesn't seem to like him. The same way as Graydon didn't like Fitz.

Talking of managers and their faves and all that, a story about Branch on the E&S sounds very similar to that of Bazeley's when it comes to being left in the cold by Davie Jones. Has he got something against Colin Lee's signings?!

By Paul G on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 01:29 pm: Edit

Wrack will still be in the team when mart returns. In fact (baring serious injury) Wrack will make 30+ appearances this season and chip in with 7-8 goals despite what people may say about his finishing.

Herivelto will do well to play for 180 minutes. He may score a couple of opportunist goals but will not pass to anyone or make a single tackle. He could go now and not seriously weaken this squad.

Pay up DOFFER

By Stu on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 02:10 pm: Edit

Why has Harry come into the discussion all of a sudden? We're not talking about Harry challenging Wrack. Its been a Simpson or Wrack choice?

Although, if you want my opinion on Harry, he would ALWAYS be on the bench. He is the only player we have who can really conjure something out of nothing or create that clear cut chance with a little run and cross. He'd be your Super sub to bring on with 15 minutes left if you want to turn a loss into a draw or draw into defeat. But you never know, Junior may be able to do this and play for 90 minutes.

By Ian Gittins on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 03:10 pm: Edit

Don't agree at all, Stu. Harry is a flair player, for sure, one of the few exceptionally gifted (as compared to solid and consistent) ones we have. It's down to our much-vaunted top level coaching team to bring out the best in him and exploit his ability. Harry may be a luxury at present, but Wrack is a meat-and-potatoes lower-league midfielder and always will be. They thought he was rubbish at Grimsby too, by the way.

By Dave Hawkes on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 03:45 pm: Edit

Just a few stats here...

Darren Wrack
01/02 Apps (inc subs) 48
01/02 Goals 5

Moreira Herivelto
01/02 Starts 13 (subs 17)
01/02 Goals 6

It took Wrack 48 matches last year to score just 5 goals. Also, his goal against Forest was his first since January, a drought of 7 months. He netted 4 of his goals in 2001 alone.

Interesting in the scoring stakes, wouldn't you say Paul G? Though you're right, Wrack works hard and tracks back. But Simpson does it better!

By flownswift on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 04:00 pm: Edit

the thing that baffles me is that in the 98/99 season, when Graydon had just signed him he was in the pfa league team, scored about 14 goals, and some of them were crackers (Bournemouth away for example). So what the hell has happened. He was atrocious the following season. He had a few decent appearances with Graydon at the start of last season, and so far this year has been very mediocre. Simpson, Sonner and O'connor is a far better midfield, if corica supports a front two. The loss of form of Jorge is far less eratic in my oppinion or far less sudden than that of Wrack. Regardless of Lee's oppinion, as I do not see what goes on in training, his presence at the moment is not as good on the pitch as the three mentioned above.

By Most of youtalkrubbish on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 04:04 pm: Edit

A few stats here...

Jimmy Walker
01/02 Apps 41 approx
01/02 Goals 0

Moreira Herivelto
01/02 Apps Starts 13 (subs 17)
01/02 Goals 6

Therefore I would play Herivelto instead of Walker.

Isn't that basically what you're saying Dave - there's more to life than scoring goals mate.

Although I agree with Stu when he says we could bring Harry on to turn a 'draw into a defeat'. Spot on there mate.!

By Harry's Agent on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 04:21 pm: Edit

A mite disingenuous there, Mr Rubbish. Comparing two purportedly attacking midfielders is rather more legitimate than against a goalkeeper, wouldn't you agree? Plus Wrack may "chase back" as in shadow an advancing attacker, but he's way too easily passed, rarely makes a decent tackle, and is thus too out of puff to beat his man, get to the line and put in an goal-making cross the way that Herivelto can.

In conclusion - if Wrack's valuable, then what's Harry Worth?

By Dave Hawkes on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 04:26 pm: Edit

Perhaps if you'd read Paul G's comments, then you might have had the faintest clue what I was talking about. Paul was basically talking about how Wrack will score more goals than Harry's 'opourtunist' efforts.

It's a shame that it's not just Dingle fans who can't read... ;-)

By Harry Worth on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 04:33 pm: Edit

Er, Dave - I was agreeing with you...

By Neil Ravenscroft on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 04:42 pm: Edit

fao Harry's Agent - Harry Worth was an English comic of the 60's and 70's.

By Dave Hawkes on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 05:01 pm: Edit

Well it's a good job I was talking to the fella above your post then Harry!

By popperpancake on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 05:22 pm: Edit

Can't we find something better to argue about. This is ••••. I want a return to the old days when i could post abusive messages to sheff sad and he'd actually respond to them. When we could argue about lee mills (who is still •••• bythway), steve chettle, who is responsible for signing our players, why RG conducted his business in private with bonser etc etc. I spose its just a sign of most people being generally happy about the managers and players.

By Shifnalsaddler on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 06:12 pm: Edit

A cracking win for Wilma! The silent majority is silent no more.
Just as a matter of interest for the Wrack haters, did you notice how many of Wolves attacks he broke up on the edge of our area the other week? Probably not.
Anyway Doffer, if you'd like to pay up, I'll donate the £50 to the Shropshire Air Ambulance, (or to a Walsall based charity if people would prefer). Or perhaps I'll use it to buy a new armchair, my current one is worn out and suffering badly from Diamond White stains. No seriously, charity it is.

I only meant it as a joke in the first place :-) Sorry.

By Fred on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 06:20 pm: Edit

Wilma what the f**k are you doing on here! I expected my tea at 5!

Oh and Dino wants his supper too.

By Erroll Dunkley on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 06:26 pm: Edit

Ok Fred, now I'm a yazza yazza, Ok Fred, bully for you.

By Stu on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 06:26 pm: Edit

Ian,

Read my post further up. I don't rate Wrack personally and he WOULD NOT be in my starting 11 when everyone is fit.

But, if it came down to a choice of Harry or Wrack and we're playing a 4-3-1-2 formation, with one of those being the 3rd midfielder. It'd be Wrack every time. Even though Harry is the creative skillfull flair player that we crave, just a shame he can't defend even a tiny bit.

I'd love to see Harry start, but where? In our formation he could only play in Corica's position or up front. He is a liability on the pitch. Yes, he can turn it on against Ipswich, Wolves even Sheff Utd when there are 15000+ fans, but against Grimsby, Rotherham et al, he never wants to know.

Thus, he is the ideal player to bring off the bench for 15 minutes.

By 1933 on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 07:50 pm: Edit

Just a few intersting notes:

Jimmy Walker is the Nationwide Goalkeeper of the Week

According to the Div 1 fair play league, we are the second dirtiest team so far.

By SheffieldSaddler on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 08:57 pm: Edit

popperpancake - I agree with you. I miss our abusive messages to each other. I just cant find the heart to start it off again. Mind you I still think you are a tw*t! (only joking). But I would buy you a pint if I ever had the bad fortune to meet you!

By Cannock on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 09:28 pm: Edit

Unfortunately Stu i cant agree with your alternative management style. Why on earth you would want to bring a player on with 15 mins to go to turn a draw into defeat is quite baffling. Each to his own i suppose. Does your management philosophy mean you are under acheiving at Championship Manager as well or are you still trying to get Wolves into the third division LOL. Ive heard that this years CM is out November - anyone know anything about this ?

By Dave Hawkes on Saturday, August 31, 2002 - 10:08 am: Edit

I suppose the 4 or 5 bookings we picked up at Brighton have something to do with our fair play position.

Has the transfer window closed now? If so, I presume signing Fitz has gone out of the window then? Or do we still hold his registration if he is playing for us?

Just been checking the Walsall prediction league on Rivals, now I may be no expert on Walsall Fc Wilma/Shifnal, but I 'aint bad at predicting our results! 5th at the moment, I'll go for 2-1 today!

By Anon on Saturday, August 31, 2002 - 05:09 pm: Edit

A pretty poor prediction, Dave. Still, we must have strengthened our position in the fair play league.

By Dave Hawkes on Sunday, September 01, 2002 - 10:57 am: Edit

Was it a poor prediction? I nearly got is spot on mate. Only a goal out. Shame I entered it in the wrong way round on rivals though...

Return to 2002-03 Season