Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Ipswich (h) - League - 10th August 2002

Reports and reaction from the 2002-03 season as Walsall finished 17th in Division 1
Andy
UTS Regular

Ipswich (h) - League - 10th August 2002

Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:46 pm

Walsall 0 Ipswich 2
Walsall: James Walker, Darren Bazeley, Ian Roper, Matt Carbon, Zigor Aranalde, Darren Wrack, Steve Corica, Danny Sonner, Pedro Matias (Moreira Herivelto, 63), Jorge Leitao (Daniel Rodrigues, 77), Gary Birch
Attendance: 5253

Marcus Bent capped a superb show for Ipswich by scoring with a spectacular overhead kick as George Burley's men earned a 2-0 victory at Walsall. The goal from the former Blackburn striker came in the 63rd minute and sealed a hard-working victory for the Suffolk side, who were relegated last season. Midfielder Darren Ambrose marked his league debut for the club by opening the scoring.
The 18-year-old prospect made the breakthrough in the 37th minute when he rattled the ball home after goalkeeper James Walker had parried Darren Bent's effort.
His strike came after a constant spell of pressure from Ipswich, who took control after an indifferent start.
With the Bescot Stadium being renovated, the capacity was reduced to just below 7,000. In fact only 5,353 fans attended this live TV game.

The surroundings were far removed from the showpiece stadia Ipswich had visited the last two seasons - but they showed no signs of self-pity at finding themselves back in the First Division.

Ipswich goalkeeper Andy Marshall had to look alert in the fourth minute to punch away an inswinging cross from Pedro Matias. The visitors retaliated and Fabian Wilnis sent Darren Bent away down the right but his cross was poor.
Walsall went close again when Jorge Leitao was just off target with a header following Matt Carbon's delivery.
Ipswich stepped up the pace and almost took the lead when Matt Holland latched on to a pass from Marcus Bent. He rattled in a shot that Walker did well to turn away for a corner.

Walsall were again grateful to Walker in the 33rd minute when he somehow managed to turn over a blistering 30-yard drive from Darren Bent. Then came Ambrose's clinical finish to put Ipswich in the driving seat going into the second half. Marcus Bent should have added a second but steered his effort wide in front of the posts.

Walsall almost drew level in the 48th minute when Leitao powered in a header from a corner by Matias. However, Jamie Clapham was well-positioned and hooked the ball off the line.

Ambrose had grown in confidence since scoring and tried his luck on goal from 25 yards, only to see his effort go wide. Walker came to Walsall's rescue on the hour when he diverted Darren Bent's shot to safety with his legs.

Then Marcus Bent produced his superb finish to double Ipswich's lead in the 63rd minute, after namesake Darren had headed the ball into the area. It was the scorer's last act as he injured himself and was immediately replaced by Alun Armstrong.

Walsall continued to battle away and striker Gary Birch, making his debut, almost pulled a goal back, only for Hermann Hreidarsson to clear. Ipswich, who had used their three subs, were forced to battle on with 10 men for the closing stages of the game after Ambrose went off with a cut lip.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Cannock ( - 194.117.133.182) on Saturday, August 10, 2002 - 09:39 pm: Edit

Normally after a defeat i become extremely depressed , agitated, grumpy and totally irrational. However, i didnt think we were too bad today. Most of the players had a reasonable game. In the end the better team won. My main concern however is our activity in the final third ( or lack of it ). We dont seem to create too many chances and when we were pumping crosses into the box there was generally no one in the box to cause any problems. This area obviously needs to be addressed. I thought when Herivelto and Rodrigues came on they livened things up. Man of the Match definately Corica. Mare of the match Zigor. However, i think the morons sat behind me were way out of order booing his every move and finally cheering when it looked like he may be injured. Some people should have been chucked in the cut at birth.

Overall, not too bad, need to do better at the top end of the pitch. Roll on wednesday

By Paul G ( - 62.30.112.1) on Saturday, August 10, 2002 - 09:48 pm: Edit

If we had scored in the first 20 minutes when the game seemed very even it may have been different. Overall though the better team won and we were far from disgraced against essentially a premiership team.

Plus points were a satisfactory first div debut for Birch who won a lot in the air, central defence looked strong and Jimmy as ever superb. Corica and Sonner look first division class. Overall though we must improve in the final third. Today the ball did not seem to break for us in the box but too much of the forward movement was slow and predictable.

Perhaps we should make a bid for this Byfield chap!

By cat3 ( - 218.102.21.3) on Saturday, August 10, 2002 - 09:55 pm: Edit

A lost is a lost... playing against Ipswich, we managed alright, not leaking too many goals. 2 goals were acceptable... They were far better team than us, but we will strive for mid table this year and will certainly surprise a lot of the teams by beating them. Let's hope we can maintain that level of morale and hack at them throughout 90 minutes of the match...

Go Go Sads!!!

By reduntilimdead ( - 62.30.112.1) on Saturday, August 10, 2002 - 10:02 pm: Edit

Im sorry but i think u were both watchin a different match than me.
Birch was fantastic agreed Sonner did nothin 1 shot which was a corker, Corica did jack shi- lazy Jorge only broke into a trot when the board was held for him to come off fastest he moved all match im sorry but apart from Mart and Driller that was our strongest side i have been tippin us for a top half finish but on that performance i think the bookies have got it right even rotherham put 6 past millwall all i can say now is i hope colin can sort it out i cant be doing with a season like last

By behind enermy lines ( - 195.92.168.167) on Sunday, August 11, 2002 - 12:18 am: Edit

I have to admit ipswhichs movemtment was great, while we stood stuck in the time warp. Still thought we were one dimensional going forward, well done to birch, and wacker plus what town fans they were talk about quiet? role on dingles

By Bristolsaddler ( - 62.255.0.8) on Sunday, August 11, 2002 - 02:10 am: Edit

well, the reality is here. The fact is that all the talk of us being a top 12 side is proven to be the fiction that it truly is. I wish I was wrong but another relegation battle beckons. I think we are better equipped to deal with it than last season in terms of the quality of individual players that we have available [eg. Hay/Rodrigues/Bazeley] , but unless we strive for a greater strength in depth, we are no better than the likes of Grimsby.
And another thing, we looked p*** weak up front today [even allowing for the quality of the opposition].

By Pelsall ( - 195.92.168.165) on Sunday, August 11, 2002 - 07:53 am: Edit

Felt a bit sorry for Birch, it wasn't the easiest game in which to make your First Division debut. He worked hard, but looked tired in the second half, and I was surprised he finished the game. The big worry for me is the lack of sharpnes of Leitao. He looks sluggish, and I question his ability at this level. Having said that, Ipswich looked a very good side, extremely well organised throughout, and I expect them to be close to the top at seasons end.
I think there has been a lot of hype regarding where we will finish this season. Without strengthening this squad, and we all know that the money is not available, it could be another struggle this year.

By Shifnalsaddler ( - 213.120.56.41) on Sunday, August 11, 2002 - 08:55 am: Edit

Thing about Leitao, I pointed out last season that when he started games he looked sluggish and off the pace, lacked sharpness. Then he'd be dropped, come off the bench as sub and look really sharp, cause problems for the opponents, get his place back in the team.......and the pattern would be repeated. And with some exceptions, that was how it was all season. He does have the ability at this level, but somehow this problem needs to be sorted.

On the bright side, we won't play many teams as good as Ipswich this season, how many better midfielders are there than Holland and Magilton in this division, how many better strikers than their front pair.

The squad looks thin, but I think we all knew that, we do need some new players in central midfield, up front, and left hand side, there are players out there, let's go get 'em.

Walker was again excellent, kept the score respectable, Bazeley did well, he put in some tempting crosses that needed attacking, Birch showed promise I thought, the centre of defence looked generally good on a difficult day.

Another difficult one coming up on wednesday, I think Wolves and Ipswich will finish one and two in some order, let's hope our players rise to the occasion, and maybe a ref who knows that both teams can be penalised for fouls.

By Liam ( - 195.92.168.168) on Sunday, August 11, 2002 - 11:18 am: Edit

Appalling gate of 5200. 'Home' turnout was about 650 down on last years average. I dread to think what the gate vs Rotherham will be. One of the lowest gates of the day in the whole Nationwide. Shocking.

By PT ( - 62.30.0.4) on Sunday, August 11, 2002 - 11:57 am: Edit

Having seen the match twice now (at the game yesterday & a recording this AM) there is quite a lot to be positive about.
As the only "stopper" in midfield Sonner got through loads of work against a quality midfield, unfortunately for him it will be the same on Wednesday (Ince, Rae & Cameron vs Matias, Wrack & Sonner - Good luck Danny!).
Birch worked his rocks off and would have definately scored if the ref had seen a hand ball.
Roper, Carbon, Bazeley & Walker all looked solid and Corica demonstrated decent vision.
Because of Lee wanting Matias & Wrack to 'tuck in', Zigor was often left exposed against players who were a class above him, not his fault, just a fact.
Disappointing aspects of the day were firstly our 'crowd' which, crap commercial department or not, was plain embarrasing and secondly the ref. He got loads of small stuff wrong but having seen it on the box this morning, Hreiderson nugded the ball out of Jorge's way with his arm (last man therefore not only a free-kick but also an automatic red) and Clapham punching the ball off Birch's head. If we'd have bee given a pen, scored with 10 mins to go we could have got a point with them down to 10 men (I didn't realise yesterday but they played the last 20 with only 10 due to using up their subs and then sustaining another injury).
All in all lots to be pleased with but lots to work on, expecially Wrack & Pedro who seemed unclear at times yesterday about their roles.
Losing 2-0 against Ipswich isn't the end of the world, we may well lose the first three and I wouldn't say that we should be too downhearted if we do, we would just then need to get it together for the subsequent games which , on paper, appear a little easier.

By ANother Saddler ( - 213.1.134.110) on Sunday, August 11, 2002 - 11:58 am: Edit

It's going to be a tough season. Just because we signed a few 'names' this summer doesn't mean we were going to race up the table. Walk before you can run and all that.

It's early days. I await the return of Zdrilic and hope he will help Jorge/Birch up front. Also hope that O'Connor can sort the centre out. Whilst Sonner and Corica look good, we need some grit in there.

I question why we signed Danny Hay. I think in defence we look solid anyway. I would have rather seen us sign an extra attacking midfielder or striker. I also wonder why we bothered to hold onto Wracky on that performance. I'm not one to knock Wrack very often, but is he really worth it? I'm beginning to think putting the money elsewhere would have been better. Especially as Rodrigues can play on the right.

The best we can hope for is a draw at Wolves. Then again, it's a derby match! Oh, it's good to have footy back again....

By Stu ( - 62.252.64.8) on Sunday, August 11, 2002 - 12:49 pm: Edit

I think Cannock has got it spot on. I usually come away moaning after defeat, but yesterday I came away with a lot of positives and hopeful of a good season.

We weren't 'outclass' as some people have said elsewhere. We might not have been as good as them, but we weren't outclassed.

Corica played a nice role and used the ball well, Sonner played well in a unfamiliar role. I even thought Wracky had a half decent game. But we obviously missed O'Connor (hopefully we will get a replacecment in for him, unfortunately Martinez isn't that man).

Birch was a very big plus, won some good balls in the air, held the ball up well also. I wouldn't be too hard on Jorge though. He and Lee have said he doesn't want to play off a target man chasing flick ons, which is how Birch plays. Jorge wants someone who can play to feet, and at the end of the day, he might not have done much but if it weren't for a superb clearance he'd have scored the equaliser. So he is getting in the positions.

I dis-agree with Cannock on Zigor though. I hate to say it, but he could have done much better on the first goal and Darren Bazeley echoed that without naming names. Zigor should NEVER have let Bent cut inside and get a shot in. Your always taught to force them down the touchline, not let them get into a shooting position. Bazeley said on WM our plan was to not give them space to get shots on and we made that mistake on the first goal. I also think he wanted too much time on the ball at times, but I wouldnt say he played bad. Just "alright, but could have been better".

Also, were there really 1300 spaces in that ground yesterday?

Overall, its a promising start, although I still cant see us getting a point from our first 3 games, which I've said all along. But I'm confident of a mid table slot.

As for Rotherham. For those that forgot, that beat Norwich 4-0 on the opening day of last season as well, so don't read too much into 1 result (although with Norwich and Preston home in their next two games, they could easily knock up 9pts out of 9).

By Paul G ( - 62.30.112.1) on Sunday, August 11, 2002 - 01:23 pm: Edit

It feels a bit like that spell last season when Lee had just taken over where we played Coventry, Man City, Wolves back to back. We said then we could be behind the pace but with easier games to come. And how well we responded.

I saw plenty to be optimistic about yesterday. The starting 11 has the most quality I have ever seen in a Walsall line up - and thats with Hay, Mart and Zdrillic to come.

Lets review our hopes and fears after a dozen games and not one game against a premiership squad.

Stu - didn't rotherham go ten games without winning last season? I see McGhee has intimated his players threw the game in a dispute over pay. It will be interesting to see how both Millwall and Rotherham fare in their next games.

By Stu ( - 62.252.64.8) on Sunday, August 11, 2002 - 01:46 pm: Edit

Although, to add, in defence of my comments on Zigor, it doesn't help when our full backs have no protection in front of them. Thats just a downfall of our formation, and is a risk we have to take.

Paul G - I don't know, I just repeated what I heard from Ray Hougton on Talksport yesterday!

By Stu ( - 62.252.64.8) on Sunday, August 11, 2002 - 01:51 pm: Edit

It was Millwall that beat Norwich 4-0 apparently, so Ray Houghton got it the wrong way around on Talksport yesterday, as he said it was 'Rovrum that beat Norwich 4-0.

By ANother Saddler ( - 213.1.134.62) on Sunday, August 11, 2002 - 05:42 pm: Edit

The defence seems solid enough to me, Aranalde aside. The thing I never understood is why we signed Hay. Not that I dont rate the guy, and not that I dont think he's a good addition to the squad, but that we could have done with another midfielder or striker rather than add to what was already a solid defence.

Rodrigues... we seem to have forgot about him, maybe when he is fully fit he can work up front or add more spice to that right hand side. Personally, when O'Connor is back fit I would like to see Corica partner him, and us play with Pedro and Rodrigues as wide men.

If Jorge likes the ball into feet, I don't see why Corica can't play up along side him. Obviously we need to give Zdrilic a chance, but if all else fails, the Jorge/Corica partnership worked well last year. The goal against Stockport was a shining example.

Oh yeh, it was Norwich who beat Millwall 4-0. Rotherham lost at home 3-2 to Palarse last season on the opening day. I wouldn't read too much into Rotherham just yet, Millwall have not added anything really to their squad and have lost a few players, plus their keeper had a mare apparently.

By Sheffield Saddler ( - 195.93.32.153) on Sunday, August 11, 2002 - 07:21 pm: Edit

I think also a lot of positives should be taken from yesterday. Especially Sonner, who I thought was excellent, so was Wrack and Corica in midfield. The defence looked ok, especially in the middle, I think you know my thoughts on Aranalde, and I didnt see anything yesterday to change them, the bloke is a liability - see first goal, what sort of defender lets someone cut inside the box into a shooting position for gods sake, this is amateur stuff.
Thought Birch won a lot in air and did look ok, but as Stu as said, Jorge doesnt want to live off players like this, hence the signing of Zdrillic. I think that Jorge will score in this division as proven last season given some decent service and a decent partner up front.
Only thing I didnt like yesterday was once again our crossing. When will we get someone who can get to the by-line and stick in a decent cross? Why do we bother to play Matias? End of moan.

By Exile ( - 203.97.2.243) on Sunday, August 11, 2002 - 09:11 pm: Edit

Going through the season from the other side of the planet can be like watching through a morphine haze, so far am I removed from the action! From what I've seen and read I'm not too disappointed with the result - we all knew Ipswich was a difficult opening day, and there appear to be many more positives than negatives.

I think there's a lot more to come from the Saddlers this season, and I don't see a relegation battle ahead for us, although I admit I'm not thinking of a top 12 finish either...

Doubt we'll take anything from Wolves this week, but stranger things have happened. I'd take battling badge-kissers over bottling money-grubbers every day of the week!

Cheers all
Exile

By Mike T. ( - 62.30.112.1) on Sunday, August 11, 2002 - 10:10 pm: Edit

A strange game and lots of contrasting views with the more extreme on the Rivals site who gave Wrack a 4 and said he should have been taken off. Sheffield, whose views I have a lot of time for, felt he was excellent along Sonner and Corica. I would have liked to have seen the match again like PT because I also didn't realise Ipswich played the last quarter with 10 men a I was trying to keep a distraught 7 year old happy with chocolate.
It seemed to me Wracky and Pedro got caught between two stools. As stated above they tucked in to be a threesome but didn't really support Sonner who was left by himself against a quality midfield. Also as a result the full backs got no protection and at times Ipswich seemed to have acres of space to play in. I believe the first goal was scored by their young midfield player Ambrose (?)- shouldn't somebody have been tracking back and covering his run into the box?

It seemed to improve when Harry came on but that might have been because they only had 10 men. I did say last week even with Mart and Zdrillic fit it would possibly be zero points after 2 games. I do not believe it will be another relegation battle this year - lets see the number of points gained at the end of September.

Finally again a plus point for me was Gary Birch who worked his socks off, won his headers, had one effort cleared off the line and also ran back and helped out midfield.

By Cannock ( - 194.117.133.182) on Sunday, August 11, 2002 - 10:53 pm: Edit

Mike T. You were at the same match as me. By the way it was Bazeley who let Ambrose (and another Ipswich player ) to get past him for the first goal. The video shows he just got caught in no mans land

By popperpancake ( - 195.92.194.18) on Sunday, August 11, 2002 - 11:06 pm: Edit

I wasn't too down after the performance. Ipswich are without doubt one of the better sides in the division. Impressed with Sonner and Bazeley...not so with jorge (don't think its really fair to say its because hes not playing with the type of player he likes to play with...he should adapt...thats like saying pedro didnt play well cos he had to tuck in..something which obviously isnt his preferred game..they have both gotta adapt on the occasions they are asked to play like that). Wasn't impressed with wrack either altho he at least always works hard. The problem with the system we r looking to play was something i highlited a couple of weeks ago. But overall we did ok....birch tried hard altho still not sure hes got the ability to play regularly at this level. O'Connor fit will be a big boost obviously and i still think we'll b ok this year.

By Mal ( - 164.143.244.33) on Monday, August 12, 2002 - 09:09 am: Edit

Generally a promising performance however I do feel there is a bit of bias on the Corica front. If I sussed the tactics correctly we played 4-3-1-2, now for me he tended to get involved only sporadically and with Jorge out of sorts we played a good 70% with 9 men.

Bazeley was an improvement, Sonner I think has a point to prove, and Rodrigues looked skillfull. Wacker Mr Dependable, Georgie Ropes and Carbon solid, Zigor was average allthough under constant pressure, Wracky and Matias Mmmmm, Birch worked his socks off very promising debut, Harry scared them to death

So all in all not downhearted, lets face it we coould be Millwall or Dons fans, Bring on the inbreds

By Neil Ravenscroft ( - 62.172.127.2) on Monday, August 12, 2002 - 10:36 am: Edit

Nice to see some condsidered opinions, rather then over reactions. I too thought there were lots of plus points against a team who (if they keep Bent, Holland and Hreidarson) will be First Division Champions. Sonner looked better than he did for Blues, despite trying to deal with Holland and Mugilton on his own, thought Rodrigues looked exciting, the centre of defence solid and Bazeley very promising (once fully match fit, which by his own admission, he isn't yet).
The one worry I have is that we will need to keep the first choice 11 fit, as we will need every one of them. Still wonder whether he might be tempted to play 3 5 2 once Hay is fit.

Two last points - was that the Doffer with his name on the back of his shirt in front of me on around row D or E? And who was that absolute idiot at the back of the stand who spent the entire game yelling abuse at the players and shouting sack the Dingle at Lee?

By Neil Ravenscroft ( - 62.172.127.2) on Monday, August 12, 2002 - 10:56 am: Edit

On the other hand, it looks like one of them is off!

LONDON (Reuters) - Premier league newcomers West Bromwich Albion look set to sign defender Herman Hreidarsson after agreeing a fee with his club Ipswich Town, according to a BBC report.

The 28-year-old Icelandic international will complete the move subject to a medical and the settlement of personal terms.

Hreidarsson was Ipswich's record signing when he joined the club -- relegated to division one last season -- from Wimbledon for 4.5 million pounds at the start of the 2000/2001 season.

West Brom manager Gary Megson has said he plans to make further signings before the transfer deadline at the end of the month.

By Neil Ravenscroft ( - 62.172.127.2) on Monday, August 12, 2002 - 10:57 am: Edit

There is a report that we are hoping to get clearance this week to play Martinez and a rumour on Saturday that we are hoping to sign Junior quickly.

By Stu ( - 212.137.33.208) on Monday, August 12, 2002 - 12:29 pm: Edit

Interesting to see Byfield's comments at the weekend regarding Dave Merrington;

For those you didn't see it, he was also quoted in the Sun today

Byfield said "This is only my third full season. When I was at Villa I wasn't really involved so I joined Walsall where I had two full seasons. I got only 11 goals in the first year, then 9 last time round. I thought everything was fine and I was doing well. But coach Dave Merrington got hold of me and told me to sort myself out. He said I was kidding myself and knew there was a lot more in me. At the time, I couldn't believe it. I thought 'Who's this idiot having a go at?'

But when I went away and thought about it, I realised he was right. Since then I have worked raelly hard on the training ground and it seems to be paying dividends. If I do go on to bigger and better things, I'll owe it all to him".

So, did he have his dis-agreement with Merrington before he left and that was part of the reason for him leaving? Or did he really just leave because his agent was a money grabbing so and so.

Whatever the case, we can see the impact that Merrington has had... Shame he isn't here anymore.

By Paul ( - 195.110.166.26) on Monday, August 12, 2002 - 02:10 pm: Edit

I though we were outclassed on Saturday.
Yes, Ipswich have just come down from the
Premiership and have top quality players who
showed their class, but I thought we were a bit
one dimensional – the passing and
movement we showed at the end of last
season wasn't there on Saturday.
Wacker was excellent (as ever), and Carbon
was a rock. Bazely looked comforatble and will
be a good signing for us. I thought the midfield
was poor – Sonner didn't look sharp, Wrack
tried hard in the second half but wasn't at the
races in the first, Matias was woeful and left
Zigor over exposed (although Zigor didn't help
himself by being shite) and Corica wasn't in
the game enough. Birch worked hard and can
be well proud of himself, but Jorge's lack of
sharpness worried me.
Still, I'm not getting too depressed. When our
key players come back (ie. O'Connor) and we
start to play with a bit of invention (Corica is
key to this) we'll be OK

By cat3 ( - 203.198.23.26) on Monday, August 12, 2002 - 03:22 pm: Edit

It's just our first game, and playing against Ipswich, we got lucky leaking only 2 goals; we're just outnumbered with their calibres. We will surely be in the 1st division again next year, cause other teams are pretty weak with comparison to ours. We should survive no doubt, and get us by mid-tables.. Top 6, we will see what Leitao, Birch and Zil can do, if they got tune and loosen up, we may have a good chance. We need to beat Wolveys to show them how much we improved by far...

By popperpancake ( - 195.224.209.236) on Monday, August 12, 2002 - 03:54 pm: Edit

I agree with mal about corica...the way it looks like we are going to play puts the main emphasis on him to create and on saturday he just wasn't involved enough to do that. He didn't have a poor game but we need more from him in the final third.

By DOFFER ( - 195.40.4.194) on Monday, August 12, 2002 - 06:03 pm: Edit

DOFFER HERE Sheffield
I NEVER THOUGHT THE DAY WOULD COME WHEN YOU JOIN THE DOFFER CLUB.

To say wrack was excellent is trully a doffer expression, no sense and without any foundation whatsoever, you"ll be asking for Keates to play alongside corica next.
Sorry mate, youv"e got that one wrong.
see you saturday

THE DOFFER

By Sheffield Saddler ( - 195.93.34.184) on Monday, August 12, 2002 - 07:18 pm: Edit

Neil Ravenscroft - There used to be a bloke who stood behind me and Geordiesaddler that used to continually shout abuse at the players and continue to call Lee a dingle all match. I even remember the last day of season against Bradford when he was slagging of Corica for being an ex-dingle, before he scored his 2 goals though!
Must be the same bloke, cant be 2 like him surely!

By Sheffield Saddler ( - 195.93.34.184) on Monday, August 12, 2002 - 07:21 pm: Edit

DOFFER - I am only agreeing with ya because its close to Saturday and I smell the beers you are going to buy me.
See you in the Globe!

By Dave H ( - 213.1.131.211) on Monday, August 12, 2002 - 07:26 pm: Edit

Well I had the misfortune of sitting in the HL Fellows stand for the Stockport game last season, where some tosspot called Corica a 'fudge bag of shite' and a 'Dingle tosser' all match, before he helped set up the winning goal which virtually clinched survival. Couldn't help but turn round and laugh at him. The fact that Corica played a big part in the goal was lost on him however. People like them should watch the bloody Wolves. Or Stoke.

By Moaning Saddler ( - 62.252.88.4) on Monday, August 12, 2002 - 08:05 pm: Edit

A view from the HL Fellows......rather too close to the eccentric supporter who seemed to think that the linesman had a telescope.......

http://www.geocities.com/pinsticker1/fo ... dlers.html

By Ian Gittins ( - 217.45.49.233) on Tuesday, August 13, 2002 - 11:50 am: Edit

Viewed from a bierkeller in Germany we didn't look too bad against a very good side, although I agree with the prescient people above who made the point that Corica is pivotal to our play and needs to do more. I'm sure he will against lesser teams than Ipswich. Defence was sound-ish, yeah, Sonner good, Jorge rusty, but I'm more concerned that Wrack looked wanting again as, in truth, he normally does. We have an excellent, exciting right winger in Herivelto, who came on and gave them trouble even having to play on the left, by far his weaker side - why not give him a chance from the start? He's a flair player, yes, but wingers are supposed to be, and he has a good solid defender behind him now in Bazeley to cover for him. If Harry is too much of a risk with Mart still out, how about Rodrigues on the right? After three seasons of under-achievement and Keates-style "hard work", I think we're getting near to the point we have to accept Wrack just hasn't got it at this level.

Overall, though, not depressed at all by Saturday - season still has plenty of promise.

Who said "famous last words?"...

By Stu ( - 212.137.33.208) on Tuesday, August 13, 2002 - 01:18 pm: Edit

Ian, thats the point, Harry might be a flair player, and wingers might supposed to be flair players. But, we dont play with wingers.
We play with 3 central midfielders, two of whom drift wide to supply a bit of width. That is why our fullbacks were over-run for the entire match, both goals came from Ipswich directly exploiting the lack of cover down the flanks. Harry would leave whichever fullback, completely exposed.
He only came on in a last bid attempt to do something 'special' to bring us back into it. Personally, if we are to persist playing 4-3-1-2 he would only start in Corica's position, or maybe up front, I wouldnt have him in my midfield because as Lee said, he cant defend. If we're playing a straight out 4-4-2, I might consider it as you have more back up in the midfield anyway!

By Ian Gittins ( - 217.45.49.233) on Tuesday, August 13, 2002 - 01:22 pm: Edit

That's a fair point, although it begs the question of why we hung on to Herivelto if he doesn't suit our system, and got rid of Biancalini, a left back-cum-left midfielder, who would arguably be far more useful to us.

Ah well, early days, eh?

By Stu ( - 212.137.33.208) on Tuesday, August 13, 2002 - 01:27 pm: Edit

Too true, I don't know why we got rid of Freddie. Maybe he and Lee just didn't see eye to eye after the 'comments' following the draw at home to the Gills towards the end of last season!

I'd have kept Freddie. I'd also keep Harry because he provides that 'unknown element', he can pull something out of nothing as he did two or three times on Saturday (the jinking run and shot, and when he ran on to Corica's little pass but hit the side netting)... I think Harry is Corica's replacement when Corica is out.

Mid table here we come.

By doffer ( - 195.40.4.194) on Tuesday, August 13, 2002 - 01:33 pm: Edit

DOFFER HERE- Sheffield,
what a nice way of putting it mate without hurting my feelings.Are you suggesting this guy has the makings of a doffer too.
And before anyone starts Wrack will not become my TOM BENNETT this season.
But yes you are correct, I will be withdrawing notes from my lottery winning account to buy a few beers.

See you u saturday mate

THE DOFFFER

By Geordiesaddler ( - 213.205.138.250) on Tuesday, August 13, 2002 - 01:41 pm: Edit

Stu, that brings me back to the "dilema" re Corica's role which I mentioned last week. If you play Corica behind the front two it effectively means that you dispense with wingers, or risk being outgunned in midfield. That has serious repercussions considering that in our less than ample squad we have no less than 5 players whose preferred position is on the wing - Herivelto, Wrack, Pedro, Rodgriguez, Wright. Thats's a lot of wide men to have in your squad if you intend to play 4-3-1-2 just to accomodate Corica "in the hole". I know most of those players have filled in - with some success- in other positions, but your still asking them to basically play out of position in a very tough league. Personally, I thought Corica, and Jorge for that matter looked a more effective front pairing in front of a conventional midfield at the very end of last season, with Simpson and O'Connor in the middle and Wrack and Pedro on the wings. when O'coonor gets fit I would like to see this tried - with Sonner in Simpson's place, and some genuine competition for the places on the flanks and up front. Personally I'm much happier seeing players play in their proper positions and Wrack and Pedro are too much of a liability as midfileders as was proven on Saturday - you might get away with one but not both.

By doffer ( - 195.40.4.194) on Tuesday, August 13, 2002 - 01:42 pm: Edit

DOFFER HERE Where can i park ?
What is the best place? I will be in the Globe b4 the game, will I have to move it again, missus driving- thank god.
Any suggestions lads

DOFFER

By Stu ( - 212.137.33.208) on Tuesday, August 13, 2002 - 01:59 pm: Edit

Geordie, hit the nail on the head really. Lee seems insistent on using Corica, which is obvious as Corica is that player to unlock defences when your stuck in stalemate. And your put re: the wingers is spot on. I think 4-4-1-1 would be the ideal solution, when O'Connor returns. But, would he want to do that when you consider that Jorge was consulted on his ideal striking partner, (and I always felt we struggled to keep possession up front with 1 striker), that implies he wants to play 2 up front, which means back to a 4-3-1-2.

Although, with Roper looking great alongside Matty, I've contemplated what a 3-5-2 would be like. Bazeley is surely the perfect wingback, Zigor can play it. O'Connor and Sonnor are perfect compliments in the middle, with Corica inbetween the two strikers and mifielders. With Hay, Carbon and Roper providing a solid back line.
But then as you say, it means we have 4 redundant players (Matias, Rodriguez, Wrack, Herivelto) whom are wingers. I don't mention Wright, as pre season suggests Lee has groomed him for the fullback roll!!!

Fortunately, its Lee's dilemma, as all 3 formations have pro's and con's.

By Stu ( - 212.137.33.208) on Tuesday, August 13, 2002 - 02:02 pm: Edit

Doffer, you can park in a few of the streets around the Globe, as the factorys wont be open on Saturdays. There is also a NCP car park about 10 minutes walk from the Globe, near the National Centre for Popular Music (or the Barfly as its now called). So you can leave it there for the day for £3 or whatever it is.

Brammall Lane is a 5/10 minute walk from the Globe, and we'll go the shorter time this year rather than up to the main road like we did last season! (That was Sheff's fault, lol)

By Geordiesaddler ( - 213.205.138.250) on Tuesday, August 13, 2002 - 02:30 pm: Edit

What time you going to the pub? Think we're due in about 12ish, ..but then again I'm having to go via Donny cause all the moaning Makems have snapped up the cheap tickets. Doffer - is employing Mrs Doffer as your personal chauffeur a reaction to the debacle of your journey back from Grimsby away last year? - tops any of my bizarre away trips, especially when you started the account by saying "the last thing I remeber was Robert equalising for Newcastle in that pub in Doncaster...", where did you end up again?

By Sheffield Saddler ( - 194.202.181.189) on Tuesday, August 13, 2002 - 02:51 pm: Edit

Yes, someone please direct me via a quick route to the ground on Saturday.
After all I only live in the bloody place, how the hell should I know where to go after I have had 3 pints!

By Stu ( - 212.137.33.208) on Tuesday, August 13, 2002 - 03:02 pm: Edit

I'm going to drive up I think, so I was going to get to the boozer for about 12ish, give or take a few minutes. Although, I may as yet catch the train.

Sheff - quick route is to turn left directly after coming out of the boozer, and then walk in a straight line for about 1/4-1/2 a mile. Bingo! haha.

If I recall correctly, wasn't it Stevenage that Doffer ended up in! lol, superb, Grimsby to Stevenage via Donny. Wasn't it due to falling asleep and missing his Peterboro' stop or something, haha. At least, if you do the same this year Doffer, I'm only 5 miles north of Stevenage [maybe I shouldn't have said that! :)]

By DOFFER ( - 195.40.4.194) on Tuesday, August 13, 2002 - 05:06 pm: Edit

DOFFER HERE GRIMSBY AWAY

Here we go, what a *UCKING *UCK UP.
GEORDIES FAULT

Let"s have a quick drink in a place I know" says him.

It must have been the same time as i downed my 8th pint of the day when the robert goal went in RESULT- severe memory loss.

Got to the station somehow and did get off at peterboro, minus my bloody moby.
"Train to stansted mate ,yeh platform 1 you drunken footie fan, who"s are those bloody colours,*uck u SAID DOFFER, I"ll find it miy bloody self. Great idea doffer, u prat.

By this time I could not deciper 1 from 2, yes slow train to london for me.

Woke up, oh •••• where am i,at this time we were just pulling in to Stevenage.

Get off doffer,MAYBE A TRAIN BACK TO PETERBORO.
Time is now 12.45am, no *ucking trains going any where.
Staggered into town, ist hotel the STEVENAGE NOVOTEL i think.

Goooood Everninng to u, utted the pissed up doffer,roooooom please.
£39.50 sir, oh •••• utted doffer with a quick retort of SOOOORY.
4TH FLOOR sir, good nite.

After trying to get out of the lift for 5 mins or so there was the room, GREAT.

Electronic key card, oh *UCK came the usual doffer response, in and out, in and out, SUCCESS.
In bed by 1.30am, what a great away day from a truelly pissed up saddler.
THE DOFFER

By Stu ( - 212.137.33.208) on Tuesday, August 13, 2002 - 05:24 pm: Edit

Despite having been told that before, it still creases me up! Quality.

lol

By Sheffield Saddler ( - 195.93.32.183) on Tuesday, August 13, 2002 - 08:00 pm: Edit

What a classic! Hope you aint going to be that drunk on Saturday Doffer!
Stu - walk in a striaght line! This will be interesting if I have to do this Saturday!

By MarkW ( - 212.159.41.48) on Tuesday, August 13, 2002 - 09:09 pm: Edit

Isn't our next away game tomorrow night at Wolves?

By PT ( - 62.30.0.3) on Tuesday, August 13, 2002 - 10:21 pm: Edit

I was just thinking that meself Mark. Perhaps only me and you have remembered our only real away derby this season and we'll have the whole lower tier of the John Ireland Stand to ourselves.
Having said that, the official site says we've received an extra allocation of tickets to take our total allocation to 3,100 and only 250 remain. I really do hope they're telling the truth this week after last week's "certain sell-out" claims of the Ipwich game cos 3000 Saddlers fans will make it a night to remember whatever the result.
Ince & Sturridge are fit for them whilst Colin is considering re-shaping our team with Driller possibly being on the bench.
I'm well up for it, obviously only a warm up for the big one in Sheffield at the weekend for the Friends Re-united contingent, but exciting nevertheless.

By Sheffield Saddler ( - 194.202.181.189) on Wednesday, August 14, 2002 - 08:46 am: Edit

Sorry PT, we all must remember that we can only discuss away match meetings if it is the next away match and not the next but one. I will remember this in future discussions.
I will be there tonight cheering on the lads with hopefully another 3099 Saddlers. Reckon we are going to put in a performance and a half and come out with 3 points.
Then bring on the Blades. (Oh sorry I cant discuss that one yet).

By Geordiesaddler ( - 213.205.138.250) on Wednesday, August 14, 2002 - 09:58 am: Edit

PT and Markw I agree with you totally and apologise.

In fact the Sheffield United game should be made a two for one ticket offer with the Wolves game. Also we should have to spend £20 in the club shop in order to get our Sheffield United tickets, and then we could negatiate with Sheff U to get the game switched to Workspop Town so as to operate on a reduced capacity ticket only secret handshake Whalley's relatives only Isaweverygameinthe1933cuprunandhavetheticketstubstoproveit
basis. It's a F*cking scandal that four working men from the far flung corners of the country should use this message board to arrange meeting up on their day off to have a pint and watch the Saddlers- they should be publically bullf*cked for such shamefull hedonism.

Anyway, see you tonight Sheff - Maybe Markw and PT as well. Maybe one of you two will buy us a pint - bloody hot day for sitting on a train for four hours, but then again there's always tomorrow to look forward to - up at 6, another 4 hours on the Virgin not so mobile, then into work in Newcastle - ahhh the joys of midweek footy .

By Sheffield Saddler ( - 194.202.181.189) on Wednesday, August 14, 2002 - 11:38 am: Edit

I will buy you a pint! I will see ya later!

By PT ( - 62.30.0.3) on Thursday, August 15, 2002 - 09:41 pm: Edit

I think what me & Mark were aluding to was the fact that only 24 hours before the Wolves game there hadn't been one post by way of build up.

Geordie, I too suffer the slings and arrows of this country's transport infrastructure when following the Saddlers. Last night I had a double header of catching the train down from home (Liverpool) and then a journey back on the car park formerley known as the M6. Six sets of major roadworks later and I'm in at 1:15 with a meeting due this morning in Manchester at 9:00. I wouldn't change it for the world though (that's following Walsall not the Trains and the f**king roadworks).

I genuinely hope the four of you "working men" (although you all seem to have far too much time on your hands given your contributions on here) enjoy your day on Saturday and see the Saddlers claim their first point(s) of the season.

By Geordiesaddler ( - 195.92.194.18) on Friday, August 16, 2002 - 12:26 am: Edit

No Forest talk 'till Sunday
I must work harder
Alarm clock rings, school is out.

By Sheffield Saddler ( - 194.202.181.189) on Friday, August 16, 2002 - 09:59 am: Edit

I must work harder too. In fact what am I doing on here now...... Perhaps the message board should allow postings at certain times only for certain people.
Perhaps we could email Steve Roy our shift patterns and perhaps he can block us entering the message board during this period.
HELP ME!

Return to 2002-03 Season