Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Reading (a) - FA Cup Rnd 3 Replay - 14th January 2003

Reports and reaction from the 2002-03 season as Walsall finished 17th in Division 1
Andy
UTS Regular

Reading (a) - FA Cup Rnd 3 Replay - 14th January 2003

Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:41 pm

By behind enemy lines (134.220.2.2) on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 09:59 pm: Edit

half time playing well, another own goal walsall in fine voice

By Exile (203.97.2.243) on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 10:29 pm: Edit

Playing well at half time? The rest must be dire. From BBC text commentary it looks like Reading have seen most of the play, while Walsall are trying to turn the game into a bit of a kickfest in the second half.....

By SaddlerSteve (172.186.86.123) on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 10:41 pm: Edit

Got the BBC text commentary on meself.

And it does look like our lads are having a competition to see how many yellow cards they can collect!!

Hopefully we'll get a goal before the end of the 90mins!!

By Exile (203.97.2.243) on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 10:54 pm: Edit

Being charitable, can't know how much we're being provoked, or how good / bad / fair the ref (Hill) is.

Looks like extra time beckons....

By J (62.30.112.1) on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 10:57 pm: Edit

Looks like Junior and Wrack now suspended for the Brighton game.

By BEL (134.220.2.2) on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 11:20 pm: Edit

bbc wm was saying that walsall were on top in the 1st half

By J (62.30.112.1) on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 11:32 pm: Edit

Roper now stretchered off!

By Exile (203.97.2.243) on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 11:38 pm: Edit

...and penalties ahead!!! Lucky Ropes doesn't take them...

By bel (134.220.2.2) on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 11:40 pm: Edit

coverage onj five live

By Exile (203.97.2.243) on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 11:45 pm: Edit

No good in NZ - 3-1 on pens though......

By Exile (203.97.2.243) on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 11:47 pm: Edit

4-1 on pens. RESULT!!!!!

By BEL (134.220.2.2) on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 11:48 pm: Edit

yes, have you heard a cop has been killed in manchester check out bbc news a knife

By belgian saddler (213.224.83.78) on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 11:53 pm: Edit

full credit, brilliant result, credit to all who went..............

By bel (134.220.2.2) on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 11:58 pm: Edit

shame about the injurys, I think I might visit the reading chatroom NICE MATE

By Kevthesaddler (217.42.215.228) on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 12:24 am: Edit

Can explain how happy & delighted i am afta tonights win. I would have swopped this for 3 points on sat though.

My hate for Pardew makes it that litle bit sweeter

By Fish (62.7.105.70) on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 01:15 am: Edit

Bitter Sweet...with six bookings and what seems a a serious injury to Ropes, but on the bright side we live to fight another day with a fair chance of getting to the fifth round.

JB will be pleased also, around £75,000 earned tonight with our winnings and share of the gate.

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.67.74) on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 02:40 am: Edit

Just a quick couple of thoughts. CL now one game from taking us to the 5th round, has any manager done this in successive seasons? Should we get to round six it will be the furthest we've ever gone? He is already a member of a shortlist of two in respect of post war managers who have retained our status at this level, and has every chance of becoming the first to manage a team that has done that twice. IS CL therefore arguabley a handfull of wins from becoming our most successful manager? Not bad for a bloke who some regard as being clueless etc.

While I'm at it if the above was to be achieved Bonser would have presided over a rise from third to first, and establishment as a first division club. Our best ever fA cup performance, and arguably the biggest ever day in the history of the club in Cardiff. Leaving aside the off the field arguments (which on the plus side could include 11 years succesive profit, ground/club development, and the appointment of two of the club's most succesful managers in Lee and Graydon) surely on the field we are almost at the stage where the Bonser era becomes the undisputed golden age of Walsall FC (so far). Anyone who has read my comments over the years will know I'm playing Devils advocate to a degree. Just thought I'd have a go as Popperpancake now seems to agree with everything I say.

By Moaning Saddler (217.44.83.40) on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 02:46 am: Edit

A few late night thoughts from a non-genuine supporter (c/o Ticket Office)who may not be able to get to the Brighton game but managed to turn up at Reading...

Well-taken goal by Wracky - always gets himself into brilliant positions.

The inevitable total balls-up then happened - Reading had not threatened at all for the first 30 minutes - when a free-kick from the right seemed to confuse Wakka. He tried to scramble it away but only succeeded in pushing it onto Zigor.
A very stupid goal which fired Reading up for the next 15 minutes.

2nd half - Reading decided to run at our central defenders - Roper, in particular, got caught out time and again. Worst game he has had for some time.

Saddlers cameback into it with some good play from Jorge, Junior and Wrack. In one move, Corica was set up only to virtually pass back to the keeper, and then a superb piece of play between Jorge and Junior gave Junior a great chance - he hit it well but too close to the keeper.

Extra time came - 1st 15 minutes of stalemate, then in the 2nd period the Saddlers virtually took over. A glaring missed header from Zdrillic after 115 minutes seemed to have set us up for our usual penalty exit....

Penalties.

Very odd that the kicks were taken at the end occupied by the Saddlers masses - around 250 actually.

Zigor scored with his usual aplomb - Butler missed - Zdrillic scored a beauty, then Simpson, then Bazeley. Very, very professional.

70 years since we beat the Arsenal - so we couldn't really lose today.

A word for the Ref - absolutely ridiculous. It was not a dirty game at all - most of the Walsall bookings were for clumsy tackles at best. The bookings of Junior, Hay and Wrack were just plain stupid.

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.67.74) on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 02:52 am: Edit

Oh and by the way, what a great result. Further evidence that we compete with anyone in this league. Poor old Pardew, he went to press saying he wanted to win the FA cup - hope he didn't book the victory bus this time, when will he learn to keep his wobbly bottom lip buttoned. Can't wait for Saturday, win lose or draw It's another couple of hours taking the P!ss out of these t0ssers. I know a lot of Saddlers forged an affinity with Reading fans during the play off weekend but I've barely met such a smug bunch of tw*ts. Even met one from Darlington on Satuday on the way home. When I politely asked if he went to the Millenium he pouted "yeah but look where we are now and your just nothing" oh cheers I said see you next Saturday? "No" he replied
"I wouldn't travel all that way to watch a game against you lot", charming. Hope he enjoys his day at B and Q on Jan 25th.

By popperpancake (81.77.132.178) on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 03:08 am: Edit

You must be talking more sense now then geordie. And i thought i'd only agreed that CL was deserving of support not criticism. Say Aranalde is not as bad as u have suggested in previous posts and that u don't really care about the ticketing policy and maybe we'll agree about everything!

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.67.74) on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 03:45 am: Edit

Agreed about Zigor - he has improved. But the ticketing policy? It's been a farce, when your average big match day involves extracting common sense and value for money out of Virgin Trains and Walsall FC's ticket office I defy anyone to retain an affable persona. I think Branson and Whalley should swap jobs for a month. Then I might be forced to buy two cans of Stella on every visit to the buffet, to prove that I'm a genuine p!sshead, and not just some casual traveller in search of refreshment. Meanwhile the football could be replaced by an alternative church service, that quickly degenerates into a Choreographed congregation of incoherent furniture-wielding knucklescrapers.

By JPD (203.18.34.5) on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 03:50 am: Edit

Brilliant result.
After the disappointment against Blackburn, we got the penalties right.
And Wacka redeemed himself with at least one save.
Well done lads!!!!
I'm a case of beer up due to betting with a Reading fan in the office (he's quite normal by the way, doesn't have 2 heads as some on this site have suggested Reading fans have).
Hopefully another case on Saturday.

By cat3 (218.102.21.149) on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 09:35 am: Edit

Couldn't agree more JPD, absolutely fabulous!!! Let's hope we can knock them off this weekend...

By Julian Clary (194.117.133.180) on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 09:57 am: Edit

oo er missus

By SheffieldSaddler (194.202.181.189) on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 10:16 am: Edit

Amazing what a difference a pitch can make. We had shots on goal! And we even scored a goal! Oh and when I was listening to the radio our most creative midfield player was mentioned time and time again. Steve Corica, remember the name, a number of people on this board say hes not but I tend to disagree. Funny when he his given a decent pitch to use his skills and brain we tend to play well on the vast majority of occasions!
Oh and CL, remember the posts on Saturday. The man is absolutely clueless. Funny if you read the post above from Geordiesaddler, perhaps he is not as clueless as some people think.
Well done Colin and Steve!

By RushallSaddler (217.207.41.4) on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 10:26 am: Edit

Has anyone heard any news on the injury front, Radio WM said Ropers injury was only thought to be severe bruising, but why did MoC and Sonner go off , sounded like they were both carrying injuries on last nights commentary, if they were to miss a couple of games we're gonna be a bit short of cover in the midfield area, especially with Wracky and Junior now facing a 1 match suspension, is it the Brighton game or Wimbledon cup match they will miss

By popperpancake (195.224.209.74) on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 10:35 am: Edit

I thought u were gonna burst into verse then geordie. As Doffer seems to have done one, cant we have geordies poetry corner or something?

By Tim Wilkes (213.2.51.198) on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 11:14 am: Edit

Good result, poor match.
After his mistake / bad luck [delete as you see fit] against WWFC, and his cock up for the goal last night, Jim played a blinder in the 2nd half.

Perhaps our luck has changed?

By Cockerney Saddler (212.82.80.2) on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 11:28 am: Edit

Fantastic result last night lads!!! We've always had the talent to beat anyone in this division. Bring on the Dons!

By jb (62.31.64.2) on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 12:21 pm: Edit

cl is a great manager.he has a good tactical mind

By Neil Ravenscroft (62.172.127.2) on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 12:28 pm: Edit

Stay up this year and he'll havve done something no Walsall manager has done (three years at this level) and one win in the Cup and he'll have equalled our best ever run twice (although we haven't often had the luxury of starting in the Thrid Round!). It would make him the most successful ever.

By Geordiesaddler (213.205.138.250) on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 12:31 pm: Edit

Never!

By Paul G (134.220.2.2) on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 01:53 pm: Edit

Geoff - where are you? Do you only contribute to threads that spread doom and despondancy?

Last 4 matches all against teams challenging for the play offs and we have only lost once. See you can make statistics say anything if you select just a portion of the total matches.

We are staying up and going on a cup run as well.

By Tim Wilkes (213.2.51.198) on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 01:57 pm: Edit

I reckon he's seen the light and as we speak he's booking an FA Cup / Play-off double header week in Cardiff.

By Ian Gittins (81.132.47.49) on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 02:03 pm: Edit

Last night was tremendously enjoyable, with both sides giving their all in an extremely equal contest. It veered both ways: Walsall came out of the traps well and dominated, and Leitao's persistence and courage in beating the flailing keeper in the air was crucial to Wrack's goal. Then the tide turned halfway through the first half and it was all Reading: they could easily have scored before the own goal, which was more down to Walker than Ziggy.

I feared the worst when we came out for the second half with O'Connor and Sonner both crocked and a lightweight-looking Simpson, Wrack and Corica in midfield, but they rode their luck and held firm as Reading missed more chances. Then, deeply impressively, we came back and got on top, and Hay and Zdrilic both came within a gnat's gonad of winning it before the penalties.

The goal aside, Walker was great (again), and Aranalde very whole-hearted and attacked a lot. I don't think Hay, Roper and Carbon have got the hang of playing three-at-the-back: there's a lot of looking at each other and wondering who's doing what, and they all seem to think that distribution is something that the Post Office do. I know Roper is a solid stopper and it's churlish to criticise now he's injured, but if we ever DID get into the Premiership, his lumpen agricultural hoofs would make him a laughing stock. Hard, but fair.

Leitao worked really hard throughout, Junior flashed in-and-out and got kicked a lot, Zdrilic looked awkward and ungainly when he came on but then grew in confidence and held the ball well - there are shades of Brett Angell about him, like it or not. Quietly effective, and I think he's worth persevering with.

The penalties were all excellent (I did wince a bit at all the peurile abuse at Butler, though - we have got some pretty troglodyte fans). I noticed that Corica was to have been fifth up: strange that Jorge never takes them? But all credit to Ziggy for taking the first after the confidence blow of the own goal earlier.

Couldn't find the bus from the ground, walked 3 miles into Reading, got home to London at 1am. Saturday will be a doddle (transport-wise, not the match).

Geoff, do your fingers hurt when you type posts as long as this one?

By ChrisWhiting (212.228.35.251) on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 02:50 pm: Edit

I can't believe it, a thread as long as this, on a 3rd round win, and geoff hasn't been involved!

I think I saw him last night under a pile of tax returns with just an arm poking out of the top...... perhaps he's drowned under them, leaving him unable to post??

Geordiesaddler, I too am a member of the CL fan club, [although I think he often leaves it far too late in the game to make changes when things obviously are not working], he has done wonders with limited resources and if Sir Ray had stayed i believe we'd now be in the 2nd again.

The end of last season was an amazing escape, and one I hope we don't have to repeat this time round, the football we play [when we are given a decent pitch to play on] is pleasing on the eye, and we haven't looked far behind any team this season. If it wasn't for the odd stupid mistake,[Rotherscum, Preston, Palace, Reading, Bradford.... etc etc etc] and down right bad luck [Wolves]we would be sitting pretty in a nice boring middle of the table position where we should be.

I won't start singing abide with me yet, hopefully we can get well clear and send joke city down, but we're playing against the opposition, the pitch, and the ref most games!

Well done CL, we're heading in the right direction both on and off the pitch, and he nearly is "the most successful manager in Walsall's history", something to think about when we're all frustrated and shouting on a saturday afternoon i suppose........

By Ian Gittins (81.132.47.49) on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 03:31 pm: Edit

Yes - the major point last night was how well the team played, and how fluent their game became, presented with a proper lush green turf rather than a brown corrugated bog.

By carl chinn (195.93.33.13) on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 03:46 pm: Edit

Fine performance,but it looks like we will pay the price,sonner,M,o,c and the great Roper strechered off.Support loud but numbers few,need amother forward to create a spark, then watch us go.Martin Butler deserves all the abuse he gets,excellent pens and Butler missed HA HA HA HA HA laughed allthe way home to Lancashire.

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.165) on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 03:56 pm: Edit

Paul G, I've been posting on here a long time now, and it's far from all gloom and despondency if you'll care to look back.

Just lately I've been looking at some disappointing past results and future prospects, and before you say it I am not talking about the Christmas games against the top teams which I'd guess few of us expected to get many points from.

I was looking back to October and November failings against teams we dominated and then lost to - crucial games that would (should) have seen us safe by now.

And looking forward to some very hard home games to come against top sides, wondering where we can find enough points to stay safe, and I think it won't be easy.

I call this a realistic critical analysis of our situation, why you have to keep telling me this is "doom and gloom" I just do not know.

You accuse me of doom and gloom, what are you, the opposite presumably, rose tinted specs etc. ?

What's it matter, we've both got opinions, we don't agree obviously, why keep having a dig at me, I leave you to your opinions ?

My lack of contributions to this thread is purely down to my work-load as Chris has said above.

I'm as chuffed as everone else that we won last night, though out of choice I'd take three points on Saturday in exchange - if we get both, fantastic !

I'm going back to my self-assessments now - catch you later mate.

By cat3 (218.102.96.110) on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 07:15 pm: Edit

We are going to win more games, don't worry Geoff... We shall survive this year... If we can stay within 1 goal for the opponent, our chance of winning shall be 80% higher... Trust me mate, we aren't falling this easily... You are talking about Walsall Saddlers... This is it mate! It's going to be interesting in FA Cup... We shall beat the Wimpies next and send Reading crying again in the locker rooms... They shall forever remember us, beating them twice in 1 week... Further, they will scare to sh!tless when facing our team again on the pitch... That's call domination my friend... Go Go Sads!!!

By Shifnalsaddler (213.120.56.41) on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 07:37 pm: Edit

Hooray for Wracky! Duffer, Dave Hawkes, Geoff Whiting, what have you to say about him now then?

Incidentally Sheff, if Corica is our most creative player, where does that leave Wrack? Scored against Wimbledon, Grimsby, Reading, twice against Ipswich, set up the goal against Norwich, outstanding at Forest, only bloke who has come close to getting an effort on target at home since Xmas. I think if Corica showed the effort and application that Wrack does no one would criticise him (well, OK, some still would, like they still slag Wracky).
Corica reminds me of Alun Evans, (if you can rememeber him) often brilliant, but often totally unproductive, and not exactly one of natures workaholics.

Hope Ropers injury doesn't keep him out too long, he's been player of the season for me, so far.

Hooray for Wracky!

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.169) on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 08:49 pm: Edit

Shifnal, leave ne out of this mate, I've told you before you will not find any record of me criticising Wrack, apart from the odd light-hearted comment about some of his off target shooting in some matches earlier in the season. I like the guy, even did when he was having a bad time, I always wanted him back in his best position out wide on the right.

I've never been in any anti-Wrack argument mate, it's a case of mistaken identity..

By TOS (213.123.53.251) on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 09:10 pm: Edit

Face it Geoff, you are not always right.

By Kevthesaddler (217.42.215.228) on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 11:18 pm: Edit

Darren Wrack has been my player of the season so far (closely follwed by Roper then Jorge/Bazeley). Wrack must of played almost every minute this season. He's the most versatile player at the club & he's also third top scorer with six goals i think.

Both Wrack & Roper werent even in the squad for the play off final & now there my 2 top players of this season. Full credit to the both of them.

By WackyWracky (217.44.83.193) on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 12:34 am: Edit

Must be worth a trip to the archive to name the guilty men.......
(Mr Hawkes in particular has been talking out of his backside about Wrack for longer than I care to remember.
Simpson & Harry better than Wrack!!! - learn to appreciate the finer points of football, mate!

MR D DOFFER on Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 12:24 pm: Edit

DOFFER HERE Betty boo

Well, u surely know what your talking about with every SADDLER agreeing with your posts, NOT!!
Your comments on wrack are total garbage.

CHEERS

By Wackywracky on Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 12:53 pm: Edit

Betty,

You are talking absolute sense about Wrack.
Mr D Doffer's comments merely confirm that opinion.

By popperpancake on Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 05:30 pm: Edit

Rugby players play on with dislocated shoulders? Wrack isn't as bad as people are making out. I'd find it hard to decide who to pick to join sonner and o'connor in a three man midfield. If u play Simpson u got three midfielders who are really quite similar. I think Lee would pick wrack ahead of simpson....how else do u explain his decision to offer wrack a more permanent deal (can't remember how long he has signed 4) and simpson his 6 month offer during the summer? CL obviously rates wrack. I can't imagine simpson was on considerably more money than wrack so that wouldn't explain it. U disagreeing with ur hero sheff? I'd be happy with either of them in the side to b honest.

By Wilma on Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 06:14 pm: Edit

Dave Hawkes doesn't rate Wrack. Neither does Duffer. Two great experts on all things WFC.
So obviously Wrack must be a good player!
Simple then ain't it? Want to know what's right? Just think the opposite of those two.

By Dave Hawkes on Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 06:27 pm: Edit

Didn't realise myself and the mighty Doffer were the only two that didn't rate the bloke! Didn't realise that Mr Wrack was such a whiz on the net either, because he doesn't get this sort of support down at the Bescot!

Lee rates Wrack. Then again, he also rates Zigor Aranalde, and I know for a fact that I'm not alone in thinking that he is way out of his depth in this league!

By MR D DOFFER on Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 08:20 pm: Edit

DOFFER HERE - Wilma

I'll give you £50 if you can get more people saying that Wrack will be still in the team when our super captain comes back.

You absolutely don't watch walsall. Your another armchair supporter who comes on the net when you've had 7 diamond whites and talk total garbage. I'll beat your first game 2 years ago was Cardiff! get off this site NOW!!

THE DOFFER

By Moaning Saddler on Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 09:12 pm: Edit

I think Wracky will still be in the team.....1-0 to Wilma.

By Stu on Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 09:57 pm: Edit

I think Wrack WILL still be in the team, but I personally wouldn't have him in the team.

So, does that count as 2-0 Wilma or 1-1?

By popperpancake on Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 11:21 pm: Edit

I think he'll still be in the team too. Personally like i said i'd find it a tough decision.

By Kidney nudging Saddler on Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 11:24 pm: Edit

I had a great time in Brighton, everybody was so friendly. Can't wait for the return game.

Ps. I like Wracky and i hope he's in the team come Saturday.

By Moaning Saddler on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 12:15 am: Edit

By my reckoning, 4-0 to Wilma.

(A great tribute to people who appreciate the finer points of the game).

By Anon on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 02:10 am: Edit

Wrack will definitely be in the team. £50 to Wilma?

By Exile on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 04:23 am: Edit

I've gotta side with Wilma, I'm afraid. That's the problem with being so many thousands of miles away. All the reports I've read and then passsed subjective judgement on suggest that Mr. Wrack has a work rate substantially in excess of that of an 80 year old diabetic's heart.

Does the backlash start or finish here?

Cheers all,
Exile

PS - I was so tempted to sign off as Fred Flintstone, but then thought the better of it...

By Wilma on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 07:05 am: Edit

Wracky will be in the team. Does my vote count?
Yabba dabba do pay up soon Doffer.

By Matt on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 09:45 am: Edit

Wrack should and will be in the team. CL rates him highly and Sir Ray rated him highly and I sure fancy their opinions over Doffers. How anyone can say Harry (or even Rodrigues) is a better option than Wrack is beyond me!?

But there you go, its all about opinions and no-one can like Harry AND Wracky cos they're totally the opposite. One's a decent, hard-working, intelligent player (in my opinion) and the other one's a selfish, good one minute and crap for 89, lazy chap who doesnt help his defence.

Like I said though Doffer, it is all about opinions but how you can say someones an 'armchair supporter' just because they think Wrack should be in the team is laughable. Harry didnt even make the reserve team on Tuesday which says it all.

By Dave Hawkes on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 10:54 am: Edit

I'll make it 70 million nil to Wilma because yes, he will still be in the team when O'Connor gets back I would imagine. I'd prefer it if he wasn't, but he will be. I'd hardly say you're sticking your neck out with that suggestion.

You're right Exile, the guy works hard. But if he's going to play and get forward, he needs to learn how to cross and finish, which he doesn't know how to do, tap in against Forest aside. He continually cr@ps himself when he is through on goal.

Matt, I don't think people are touting Harry to play instead of Wrack. I think the best replacement for him would be Fitz personally, as he can play on the left, with Mart in the middle and Sonner on the right of a middle three. I'd like to see Harry on the bench for bringing on if we need a sparkle going forward late in the game.

Also Matt, I think the Doffer is entitled to call Wilma what he likes. Read what Wilma said about him! He couldn't even spell his name right ;-)

Harry would easily make our 16 I feel, but Lee doesn't seem to like him. The same way as Graydon didn't like Fitz.

Talking of managers and their faves and all that, a story about Branch on the E&S sounds very similar to that of Bazeley's when it comes to being left in the cold by Davie Jones. Has he got something against Colin Lee's signings?!

By Paul G on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 01:29 pm: Edit

Wrack will still be in the team when mart returns. In fact (baring serious injury) Wrack will make 30+ appearances this season and chip in with 7-8 goals despite what people may say about his finishing.

Herivelto will do well to play for 180 minutes. He may score a couple of opportunist goals but will not pass to anyone or make a single tackle. He could go now and not seriously weaken this squad.

Pay up DOFFER

By Stu on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 02:10 pm: Edit

Why has Harry come into the discussion all of a sudden? We're not talking about Harry challenging Wrack. Its been a Simpson or Wrack choice?

Although, if you want my opinion on Harry, he would ALWAYS be on the bench. He is the only player we have who can really conjure something out of nothing or create that clear cut chance with a little run and cross. He'd be your Super sub to bring on with 15 minutes left if you want to turn a loss into a draw or draw into defeat. But you never know, Junior may be able to do this and play for 90 minutes.

By Ian Gittins on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 03:10 pm: Edit

Don't agree at all, Stu. Harry is a flair player, for sure, one of the few exceptionally gifted (as compared to solid and consistent) ones we have. It's down to our much-vaunted top level coaching team to bring out the best in him and exploit his ability. Harry may be a luxury at present, but Wrack is a meat-and-potatoes lower-league midfielder and always will be. They thought he was rubbish at Grimsby too, by the way.

By Dave Hawkes on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 03:45 pm: Edit

Just a few stats here...

Darren Wrack
01/02 Apps (inc subs) 48
01/02 Goals 5

Moreira Herivelto
01/02 Starts 13 (subs 17)
01/02 Goals 6

It took Wrack 48 matches last year to score just 5 goals. Also, his goal against Forest was his first since January, a drought of 7 months. He netted 4 of his goals in 2001 alone.

Interesting in the scoring stakes, wouldn't you say Paul G? Though you're right, Wrack works hard and tracks back. But Simpson does it better!

By flownswift on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 04:00 pm: Edit

the thing that baffles me is that in the 98/99 season, when Graydon had just signed him he was in the pfa league team, scored about 14 goals, and some of them were crackers (Bournemouth away for example). So what the hell has happened. He was atrocious the following season. He had a few decent appearances with Graydon at the start of last season, and so far this year has been very mediocre. Simpson, Sonner and O'connor is a far better midfield, if corica supports a front two. The loss of form of Jorge is far less eratic in my oppinion or far less sudden than that of Wrack. Regardless of Lee's oppinion, as I do not see what goes on in training, his presence at the moment is not as good on the pitch as the three mentioned above.

By Most of youtalkrubbish on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 04:04 pm: Edit

A few stats here...

Jimmy Walker
01/02 Apps 41 approx
01/02 Goals 0

Moreira Herivelto
01/02 Apps Starts 13 (subs 17)
01/02 Goals 6

Therefore I would play Herivelto instead of Walker.

Isn't that basically what you're saying Dave - there's more to life than scoring goals mate.

Although I agree with Stu when he says we could bring Harry on to turn a 'draw into a defeat'. Spot on there mate.!

By Harry's Agent on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 04:21 pm: Edit

A mite disingenuous there, Mr Rubbish. Comparing two purportedly attacking midfielders is rather more legitimate than against a goalkeeper, wouldn't you agree? Plus Wrack may "chase back" as in shadow an advancing attacker, but he's way too easily passed, rarely makes a decent tackle, and is thus too out of puff to beat his man, get to the line and put in an goal-making cross the way that Herivelto can.

In conclusion - if Wrack's valuable, then what's Harry Worth?

By Dave Hawkes on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 04:26 pm: Edit

Perhaps if you'd read Paul G's comments, then you might have had the faintest clue what I was talking about. Paul was basically talking about how Wrack will score more goals than Harry's 'opourtunist' efforts.

It's a shame that it's not just Dingle fans who can't read... ;-)

By Harry Worth on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 04:33 pm: Edit

Er, Dave - I was agreeing with you...

By Neil Ravenscroft on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 04:42 pm: Edit

fao Harry's Agent - Harry Worth was an English comic of the 60's and 70's.

By Dave Hawkes on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 05:01 pm: Edit

Well it's a good job I was talking to the fella above your post then Harry!

By popperpancake on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 05:22 pm: Edit

Can't we find something better to argue about. This is ••••. I want a return to the old days when i could post abusive messages to sheff sad and he'd actually respond to them. When we could argue about lee mills (who is still •••• bythway), steve chettle, who is responsible for signing our players, why RG conducted his business in private with bonser etc etc. I spose its just a sign of most people being generally happy about the managers and players.

By Shifnalsaddler on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 06:12 pm: Edit

A cracking win for Wilma! The silent majority is silent no more.
Just as a matter of interest for the Wrack haters, did you notice how many of Wolves attacks he broke up on the edge of our area the other week? Probably not.
Anyway Doffer, if you'd like to pay up, I'll donate the £50 to the Shropshire Air Ambulance, (or to a Walsall based charity if people would prefer). Or perhaps I'll use it to buy a new armchair, my current one is worn out and suffering badly from Diamond White stains. No seriously, charity it is.

I only meant it as a joke in the first place :-) Sorry.

By Fred on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 06:20 pm: Edit

Wilma what the f**k are you doing on here! I expected my tea at 5!

Oh and Dino wants his supper too.

By Erroll Dunkley on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 06:26 pm: Edit

Ok Fred, now I'm a yazza yazza, Ok Fred, bully for you.

By Stu on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 06:26 pm: Edit

Ian,

Read my post further up. I don't rate Wrack personally and he WOULD NOT be in my starting 11 when everyone is fit.

But, if it came down to a choice of Harry or Wrack and we're playing a 4-3-1-2 formation, with one of those being the 3rd midfielder. It'd be Wrack every time. Even though Harry is the creative skillfull flair player that we crave, just a shame he can't defend even a tiny bit.

I'd love to see Harry start, but where? In our formation he could only play in Corica's position or up front. He is a liability on the pitch. Yes, he can turn it on against Ipswich, Wolves even Sheff Utd when there are 15000+ fans, but against Grimsby, Rotherham et al, he never wants to know.

Thus, he is the ideal player to bring off the bench for 15 minutes.

By Ian Gittins (81.132.16.102) on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 12:42 am: Edit

Crikey, I nearly grew a beard wading through all that lot. Yes, I've often been sceptical of Wrack and what he brings to the party, and more often than not wouldn't have him in the team, but I admit he's much improved lately and has found a run of form. It happens. Let's hope he keeps it up, cos that'd be excellent.

By WackyWracky (217.44.83.193) on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 12:47 am: Edit

But the real question is - who is Wilma?

...and where is Duffer?

By hullsaddler (212.50.188.72) on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 01:02 am: Edit

I've just got in from the pub & attempting to read through Wacky Wracky's comments makes me realise it's time I went to bed.

By Exile (203.97.2.243) on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 04:54 am: Edit

My ears are bleeding from the haemorrhage in my head....

Cheers all,
Exile

PS - Errol Dunkley - surely it was "yagga yagga", not "yazza yazza"????

By BRET (213.143.132.10) on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 09:57 am: Edit

NICK SMITH IS A FAT DINGLE

By SheffieldSaddler (194.202.181.189) on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 09:57 am: Edit

What a brilliant post by Wacky Wracky. You must be his misses or absolute love him, to spend so much time doing that!
And I cant find anything in your post about me slating him. Christ he must be the only Walsall player I havent :o)

By Stu (212.137.33.208) on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 11:03 am: Edit

How relavant is that really though? I mean its dated mid-late August, so we're talking early part of the season. And in all honesty, his form has improved shed loads since then. Although he always worked hard, I always thought his output in terms of goals was poor. That has improved significantly as of late and he is turning into one of our most consistent performers. Players go through form, early season he wasn't playing as well as he has been for the last 2/3 months.

By Ulster Saddler (212.3.176.14) on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 11:39 am: Edit

Sheff Wed have got Kanchelkis on loan till end of season
UP THE SADDLERS

By Geordiesaddler (213.205.138.250) on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 12:13 pm: Edit

Stu - are you going on Saturday? Give us a shout if you want to meet up for a pint beforehand. My train gets in about 1.15 so I'll probably pop in the Three Guineas by the station and then go for a pint at the ground.

By Stu (212.137.33.208) on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 01:04 pm: Edit

Okay, I've got to run Saturday by the missus first coz of that family do on Saturday evening I told you about. I'll let you know if I'm gonna be there.

By buska saddla (62.190.120.185) on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 01:39 pm: Edit

What a fudge great game, took a mate with me, well worth the £15. Was nice walking home listening to all the reading fans telling each other there not going to the game this saturday, theres loyalty for ya, lol.
Came ome with a sore throat, shame i cant afford to gew on saturday, oh well.
ok, call me stupid, but my knowledge on walsall fc int thast good,(Got a very stressfull life as it is, lol) all i know is we are a great fudge team, so can someone tell me something about martin butler, cause i ad heard of him but i never knew why our fans hated him so much, even though i gave a decent amount of abuse to him, (SCUTLER, SCUTLER!), anyway, UP THE SADDLERS.

By Shifnalsaddler (213.1.45.2) on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 07:22 pm: Edit

Wacky Wracky, I was Wilma, and I never did get that fifty quid!
Question is, who was Betty? And who are you? And what has happened to the Kidney Nudging Saddler? He's gone quiet of late.

Sheffield Saddler, I can't believe you never slagged him. Are you losing your touch?

By Shifnalsaddler (213.1.45.2) on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 07:37 pm: Edit

And is that the longest post ever?
Geoff Whiting, the gauntlet has been thrown down.............

By TOS (62.7.52.146) on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 07:44 pm: Edit

Sorry Geoff, you are always right.

By The ho.ooops.kidney nudging Saddler (217.35.153.188) on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 01:52 am: Edit

I am always watching, anticipating.

Whenever evil visit's our town, light up the beacon.

I'll be ready , waiting.

I'll look for the calling in the clouds.

(cue Soundtrack by Danny Elfman)

Bumma's

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.168) on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 02:11 am: Edit

What an incredible thread !

I am just plain bloody speechless !!

Goodnight, I'll collect my thoughts tomorrow (er.r.rm.m.m that's later today.

By JPD (203.18.34.5) on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 03:47 am: Edit

I see we are taking Saturdays game seriously by travelling down on Friday and staying overnight.
Just do it lads!!!

By Connor Hants Saddler (194.117.133.180) on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 09:10 am: Edit

he must clean the streets

By 2-0 andapenalty HNA subcriber (217.137.93.32) on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 10:07 am: Edit

Butler may be moving soon, any truth he may return to you lot??

By Chris Owen (217.205.220.2) on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 10:30 am: Edit

Wouldn't have thought so - I think the loathing runs both ways. The crowd used to get on his back when he was here, and I don't think he has forgotten that - appears to take great delight in putting one over on us whenever possible.

Fensaddler

By Stu (212.137.33.208) on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 10:44 am: Edit

I'd love Butler back at Walsall, unfortunately I think football fans in general are too fickle and he wouldn't be made welcome by some of our lot.
Shame really, as he has turned into the sort of striker we need. Holds the ball up superbly, good in the air, gets the ball wide and puts himself about.
But, you'd want something called a "transfer fee" and we don't do those.

By Jorge14 (213.18.248.17) on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 02:16 pm: Edit

I didn't watch Walsall that much when Butler was here cus I was quite young but I've "climbed on the bandwagon" as it were about Butler. I don't think that he'd be welcomed back, but then again I doubt he would come back. But everyone "hates" Steve Hayward and we always throw his name into the hat whenever we are linked with anyone. Butler's a good striker but I don't know whether he is better than what we've got starting at the moment when we're on form.

By Stu (212.137.33.208) on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 03:09 pm: Edit

Butler got a raw deal at Bescot. He wasn't helped by Chris Nicholl's "he could be the next Shearer" after his two goals against Rochdale in the FA Cup, I think that was his first full start as well wasn't it? He also then promptly dropped him to bring him back down to earth, personally, that would be like a kick in the knackers rather than bringing someone back down to earth! I can't imagine 2 goals against Rochdale made him think he was the next Van Basten!

Similarly, he then proceeded to play Butler on the left wing and even at left back a couple of times! Very sensible, not.

And the fans wonder why he never settled?

By Shifnalsaddler (213.120.56.33) on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 07:30 pm: Edit

Rochdale wasn't his first start, he'd got perhaps ten or twelve under his belt by then, plus subs.

The Shearer remark looks daft in hindsight but maybe it was an attempt by Chris to build up his confidence, and because things didn't work out it was held against Butler, unfairly. Anyway let's face it, Chris was a great manager but a bloody terrible interviewee, said some stupid things.

MB played left back/left wing because we needed someone to do a job, and he did OK there.
He didn't get a regular spot up front, but who would you have dropped to make way for him, Wilson or Lightbourne?

That Blackpool game was the finish of him really, no way back after that, credibility blown etc.
He's done fantastically well I think, because I could never see him as more than a squad player in the bottom division.
Fair play to any WFC fans who saw what he could become at the time he was with us, but they were very few and far between. I did stand by one who always told me he would be a good 'un, but he was in a very small minority.

I'd have nothing against him coming back, except that I'm not sure returns work all that often. Some do, but I think most don't.

By sjlawton13 (195.93.33.13) on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 09:21 pm: Edit

kidney nudging saddler

SO you think your the Christ the great Jesus Christ , prove to me that your divine let George score three from the half-way line

By Ian Gittins (217.40.205.53) on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 10:01 pm: Edit

What happened in the Blackpool game, Stu?

By Paul G (194.117.133.180) on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 12:12 am: Edit

It was a night game if I recall correctly. 0-0 or 1-1?? Butler was woeful all night culminating in a dreadful miss in front of the Alsop with virtually the last kick of the game. A long range shot was palmed out to the umnarked Butler who hit the ball out of the ground from six yards in front of an open goal. Seconds later he was announced sponsers MOTM to howls of derision. You did not know whether to laugh or cry as he slouched off the pitch with his head hung low and two points thrown away.

By Stanley Saddler (194.117.133.180) on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 08:40 am: Edit

Or is this the reference to the Blackpool away game when he played at left back?

By Shifnalsaddler (62.7.144.235) on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 12:40 pm: Edit

No, I was thinking of the one Paul G wrote about.

Return to 2002-03 Season