Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Reading (h) - FA Cup Rnd 3 - 4th January 2003

Reports and reaction from the 2002-03 season as Walsall finished 17th in Division 1
Andy
UTS Regular

Reading (h) - FA Cup Rnd 3 - 4th January 2003

Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:40 pm

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.172) on Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 12:57 pm: Edit

I thought this was our worst performance at home for a long long time, even ranked alongside the away match at The Hawthorns immediately before Sir Ray's departure, may have been even worse !! To me, it was a total embarrassment.

We wore red shirts, they wore blue and white (if I'm not mistaken), it's not difficult to tell the difference, so how come we kept passing to the wrong colour ??

I always thought football was quite a simple game, basically try to involve your own players by passing the ball to them, so how come we like to give it to our opponents most times.

Thank God for Jimmy Walker, four world-class saves yesterday, yet BBC Match of the Day showed only a few seconds featuring Wracky's last-minute free-kick onto the bar. Viewers could be forgiven for thinking we nearly won the game. That was unfair on Reading, who totally outclassed us today! Wakker deserved the exposure on TV tonight, it's shameful that he didn't get it !

I have to say I thought the Royals' fans were brilliant today when Wakker was announced as our Man of the Match. Which other club's fans would have stood and chanted "There's only one Jimmy Walker" as they did today - that was brilliant and they deserved a win from their team, and will get it in the replay I think.

By RushallSaddler (195.182.163.114) on Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 04:40 pm: Edit

Well summed up Geoff, the lack of postings says it all about yesterdays game, best forgotten and quickly, if we perform the same way against the Dingles I think we may just get hammered.
PS just watched the first 2 hours of the video the memories of that great day came flooding back, I'll probably watch the second half later this evening, once again Geoff thanks very much.

By Phil_G (195.92.168.164) on Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 04:45 pm: Edit

are we sure the chant for Jimmy wasn't a pi$$ take? i.e. we were so good, you had to give your goalie man of the match?

By Phil_G (195.92.168.164) on Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 04:50 pm: Edit

Did anyone else hear CL's interview on WM, when he said we are getting some people in to do a section of the pitch. If the improvement is marked, we will get them to do the rest... but it's money Jeff Bonser really didn't want to spend.
Well lets stop the Vile playing on it then.
Is the money we are receiving from Villa more than the cost of the repairs? If not, then what's the point in letting them use it.
If yes, is it really worth the hassle it causes us e.g. yesterday?

By RushallSaddler (195.182.163.114) on Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 05:05 pm: Edit

We really need to sort the pitch problems out pretty damn quick, cos if we don't, I really cannot see us winning another home game for some while - at least till the better weather in early spring arrives, CL keeps on blaming the conditions but its the same for both teams and both Sheff Utd and Reading have both adapted to the conditions much better than us passed the ball better (to their own players I may say - not too much of that was evident from us yesterday) and quite honestly sheff utd and reading have outplayed us and I can't really see that changing at home, I see Newcastle have dug up their pitch after Jan 1st and are relaying a new one - how much does this cost - could we afford to do it - I doubt it, but money spent now on it may mean us winning at home again, hence giving us more points and keeping us in the 1st division. I really do think we will get more points away from home than at home in the 2nd half of the season unless the pitch problems are sorted.

By Jez (195.92.168.175) on Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 06:04 pm: Edit

We cant blame Villa reserves for recking our pitch. If they were playing at VP our reserves would be at Bescot. The pitch is an utter disgrace. For two out of the last three seasons we have had to play on a mud heap. Does the groundsman take some responsibility for this? What is his excuse? CL is giving the players an excuse for non-performance at home.

By SheffieldSaddler (195.93.49.13) on Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 06:41 pm: Edit

Totally agree with Jez. The pitch as been an absolute disgrace for the last 2 or 3 seasons. We can blame 2 poeple for this. The groundsman for his shoddy work over the last 3 seasons and the idiot who said it was ok for Villa reserves to play on the pitch.

By cannock (194.117.133.180) on Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 08:23 pm: Edit

Hang on a minute. Whilst the pitch isn't conducive to good flowing football it should not be used as an excuse for not winning games. Colin Lee trotted out the familiar excuse on the radio again yesterday and some people are now saying we wont win at home until it is sorted. What rubbish. Visiting teams have to play on our "pitch" once a year so CLs excuse that we are not adapting to the conditions are farcical as we play on it every fortnight. If visiting teams can win on our pitch then there is no reason why we cannot win on it. Stop looking for excuses. Maybe the facts that you dont want to hear are that other teams are better than us. Look at strengthening the team Mr Lee as well as sorting out the playing surface.

By Shifnalsaddler (212.140.153.241) on Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 08:32 pm: Edit

Reading seemed to pass the ball quite well at times, so why not us?
God help us against Wolves with Kennedy back. CL has to play Wrack on the right to try and protect Bazeley, if he persists with Corica there we'll get torn apart down that wing like last season.

This is utter rubbish at the moment. Best squad we've ever had so how come we are only a handful of points better off than the same stage last season?

By cannock (194.117.133.180) on Monday, January 06, 2003 - 01:24 am: Edit

Simple really Shifnal. We only have one player from Cleethorpes.

By CreweSaddler (195.93.49.13) on Monday, January 06, 2003 - 09:04 am: Edit

The whole reason for allowing Villa Reserves to play on the pitch is that it is a beneficial arrangement for both clubs.

Villa benefit from getting their reserves used to playing in a ground with thousannds of empty seats and little atmosphere. Perfect preperation for playing at Villa Park.

We benefit financially. The pitch benefits because shite (Villa Reserves) always makes the grass grow better!

Well thats my theory anyway .......

By Neil Ravenscroft (62.172.127.2) on Monday, January 06, 2003 - 10:19 am: Edit

Interesting debate about the Sheff Utd and Reading performances on the mud heap. The basic reason they performed better than us is they both use the same basic tactic. They don't play through it, they use the 40 to 50 yard diagonal ball into the inside right or left channels in order to use the strength (Sheff Utd) or pace (Reading) of their strike force. We only have two players capable of playing those kind of passes, Simpson (who seems to be suffering from a dip in form at the moment) or Martinez (whose all round game isn't good enough). Our only alternative option is to use the flanks, which is why we looked better on Boxing Day when Ainsworth started running at them and had our best period on Saturday when we switched to Wrack and Matias as conventional wingers.
I think Lee is quite aware of this and is desperately trying to make some personnel changes, as our main creative outlets, Corica and Junior, have been completely negated on that surface.

By popperpancake (195.224.209.23) on Monday, January 06, 2003 - 10:20 am: Edit

We played badly and didn't lose. Hasn't it been said that that is the sign of a good team? That's what i'm gonna believe.

By Geordiesaddler (213.205.138.250) on Monday, January 06, 2003 - 10:54 am: Edit

Just listening to Kenny Hibbit's expert analysis on the box cheered me up. Remember the January jinx? Allen McKnightmare? Those were the days when January was really cr@p. Sent a shiver down my spine. Roll on Saturday.

By SheffieldSaddler (194.202.181.189) on Monday, January 06, 2003 - 11:28 am: Edit

Martinez? Who is he? Does he ever play for us? The only time I see him is when he is on Sky Sports on a Saturday night giving his views on the Spanish Premier League....
Could he really pass the ball 40-50 yards?
And as for Kenny Hibbit, christ sky must have been desperate to give him the chance. I have never heard so much rubbish in all my life at half time and full time in a match analysis on sky.
I just hope the reason my sky package went up this year wasnt to pay for Hibbit and Martinez!

By Neil Ravenscroft (62.172.127.2) on Monday, January 06, 2003 - 11:59 am: Edit

Don't get carried away Sheffield! Passing is about the only thing Martinez can do. Witness the two lovely passes he made in the build up to the last minute winner against Forest at home. He still isn't good enough, though.

By Stu (212.137.33.208) on Monday, January 06, 2003 - 12:26 pm: Edit

The worrying thing could be that any money made from a cup run or from the Ricketts sale could end up being wiped out by repairs to the pitch, depending on how much we get from the Villa.

Repairs to the pitch will be money that I doubt we've accounted for. And, as someone else has said, it might mean that any money from the Villa goes straight into the pitch or we may even end up short. I haven't a clue. But, its money we probably haven't accounted for. Thus, any cup run money could end up being ploughed into the coffers to cover any possible short fall. That could see us lose out on a player or two potentially.

By RushallSaddler (217.207.41.4) on Monday, January 06, 2003 - 12:36 pm: Edit

Why are we letting the Villa reserves play on the pitch again on Tuesday with such an important home fixture looming on Saturday, I dread to think what state the pitch will be in.

By SheffieldSaddler (194.202.181.189) on Monday, January 06, 2003 - 12:43 pm: Edit

Yes but we have repaired the pitch the last 2 or 3 seasons havent we? Surely a bit of grass seed cant be that expensive?

By Stu (212.137.33.208) on Monday, January 06, 2003 - 12:51 pm: Edit

True, but I can't quite remember it being this bad in the last few seasons. A couple of the pitches I've played on this season don't seem that far off the state of Saturday's pitch.

I think it needs more than just a few grass seeds this time around. You've got to consider re-laying huge portions (the middle of the pitch, box to box is diabolical), maybe the draining system needs to be looked at as well. We've seen that a few grass seeds haven't worked as the problem is recurring year upon year, maybe its time to look at something a bit more (which in turn will cost a bit more).

By solihullsaddler (164.143.244.34) on Monday, January 06, 2003 - 02:12 pm: Edit

The pitch was dreadful and spoilt the game. No-one could play attractive football on that pitch. I thought Walsall improved as the game went on. Reading adapted to the conditions quicker but towards the end of the game both sides struggled with the conditions.

Colin is right to say the pitch is a problem for us since our game is based, not just on passing, but on quick one-twos rather than hoofing it to a big man up front.

The bottom line is we did not lose and will play better on a better pitch. The game on Saturday will be just the same (i.e. poor quality).

By RushallSaddler (217.207.41.4) on Monday, January 06, 2003 - 02:54 pm: Edit

But I bet the dingles will still adapt to it better than we do, I hope not though.

By RushallSaddler (217.207.41.4) on Monday, January 06, 2003 - 03:04 pm: Edit

Good news - Villa reserve game on tuesday night has been switched back to villa park - what a relief

By Rico (217.196.0.70) on Monday, January 06, 2003 - 04:36 pm: Edit

Does anyone agree with me that the problem against Reading was trying to play Corica just behind Leitao and Junior which meant we had three in midfield and no width. The only place on the pitch that's still got grass on it is out on the wings. Surely a 4-4-2 system with Matias on the left and wrack in his old right wing position would have been more effective in the conditions?

By flownswift (64.103.126.163) on Monday, January 06, 2003 - 04:50 pm: Edit

what I could not understand was he seemed to be on the right and moved into the hole when we (on the odd occasion)had the ball. Surely he should have been on the left and moved into the hole as this would have left us with fitz, a left footer to cover the gap and wrack the right footer on the right. However, we had wrack on the left and when fitz covered corica he was on the right. I do not like the wide player supporting the attack, either when it is corica as it was saturday, or when it's been birch (start of the season for about 5 games) and zdrillic at leicester to site a few of the examples. I feel that this greatly weakens one side, we would be better doing this in a 3-5-2 where we can afford to have the floating midfielder as there will still be 2 other central midfielders, I don't see the free role working apart from in this formation.

By Neil Ravenscroft (62.172.127.2) on Monday, January 06, 2003 - 05:07 pm: Edit

I'd agree with Rico that we need to go wide and thought we looked far better with Wrack and Matias on. I think Lee really had pinned his hopes on keeping Ainsworth until Wimbledon started mucking us about. It looks like they have started talking about wanting a fee now, which is strange considering his contract is up in the Summer.

By Phil_G (195.92.168.177) on Monday, January 06, 2003 - 10:15 pm: Edit

you know these exploratory repairs that are going to be done this week, and if successful, will be extended to the whole pitch?
What are the odds it will be anything other than some guy with a shovel and a yard of turf?

Return to 2002-03 Season