Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Blackburn (a) - Worthington Cup Rnd 3 - 6th November 2002

Reports and reaction from the 2002-03 season as Walsall finished 17th in Division 1
Andy
UTS Regular

Blackburn (a) - Worthington Cup Rnd 3 - 6th November 2002

Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:38 pm

By Neil Ravenscroft (194.117.133.182) on Wednesday, November 06, 2002 - 11:31 pm: Edit

Listened to the WM coverage, which was much better, as they decided to give up on the Vile when they went 2 - 0 up.

Sounded like a great performance all round, with Zdrillic's goal the highlight. Feel sorry for Hay (og) and Wrack missing the penalty. Do have to ask why Zigor didn't take one in the shoot out, however, as he had already put one away in normal time and has a 100% record for us, whereas Wracky always said he wouldn't take another after his bad run two or three years ago. Churlish to criticise, however.
By the way, TheSaddlersFC.tk are reporting that Gadsby is on his way out. Is this Lee making room for a loan signing as midfield cover?

By hullsaddler (212.50.181.154) on Thursday, November 07, 2002 - 09:51 am: Edit

Highly creditable performance.Thought there was a danger we might be overrun to begin with,as they seemed to be finding a lot of space between our centre backs .That bit of luck with Jimmy saving with his foot kept us in it.Thought we were heading for an excellent half time ,until that moment of madness by Zigor.To say it was a wild rash lunge is an understatement.As there was only one min added time,it must have been within seconds of the whistle.Still I thought it took guts for Zigor to take our pen, as god knows what sort of reception he would have got for missing it.
Was surprised that Junior was replaced rather than Leitao,as i thought he was posing more of a threat,but thought that Herivelto caused them all sorts of problems.Looked a good goal from Zdrillic & if only that amazing shot from Herivlelto had been a fraction lower.
Does anyone know why the ref disallowed what looked like a perfectly good goal in second half?
Typical that pens were at far end.I think that they should toss to choose ends,as ref is unlikely to go against home end. Having seen shoot outs at Scunthorpe & Burnley (but not Brentford), I was not optimistic.Wrack obviously tried to place it in the corner,but perhaps he telegraphed it a bit. Still you cant blame anyone who misses in that situation.
God knows what it is like getting away from the ground when they have a full house,as I seemed to be stuck in traffic for ages.
Hopefully despite the disappointment of going out I think the team can take a lot of heart from that performance.

By SheffieldSaddler (194.202.181.189) on Thursday, November 07, 2002 - 10:35 am: Edit

Gave them much too much respect in the first half, and a stupid stupid challenge from Zigor to round it off, why did he do that?
Second half a lot lot better. Deserved to equalise, well done Zigor on another excellent penalty.
Yes, why was that goal disallowed?
First half of extra time, all over them. 2-1 up with a superb strike from Zdrillic and if only that shot had gone in instead of hitting the bar, if only the rebound would have fallen to Zdrillic.
It just wasnt meant to be!
Thought the whole team played well from the second half onwards. Once again defended too deep once we went 2-1 up. Why do we continue to do this?
Thought Harry played well when he came on too.

By Ref Watch (62.171.220.228) on Thursday, November 07, 2002 - 10:37 am: Edit

The linesman flagged that the ball had gone out of play when it was clearly a yard inside - terrible decision.

By saddlesore (62.252.224.8) on Thursday, November 07, 2002 - 10:45 am: Edit

Aggro between Sonner & I think Roper ( pushing & SHOVING & lots of verbals, with Simpson stepping into try & sought it out,after their no 4 had a complete free header at goal- Not very pretty or comforting as a Sadds supporter though.In truth the marking was of the schoolboy variety in the second half.Other than that it was a good allround performance with the only other blot on the landscape was Herivelto throwing himself to the ground & deservedly getting booked.The vocal support sounding thrice as good as the bescot from the Jack Walker stand.That David Dunn is a particuliarly nasty piece of work who consistently moaned throughout the match , but meted plenty out.I hope Ziggy finds a variation to that penalty has the oppsistion will soon rumble it.Well done lads - i bet you Knacked now.

By 'dler (62.255.32.8) on Thursday, November 07, 2002 - 10:56 am: Edit

Fully agree with the editorial comments on this sites home page about Radio Fives so-called coverage. Hope you don't mind Steve, I copied it and included it in a complaint to the Beeb.

By Paul G (194.117.133.182) on Thursday, November 07, 2002 - 11:39 am: Edit

Blackburn keeper seemed to get both hands on Ziggy's penalty. It only just went in - agreed he needs to find more variation. Sitting near the front I was directly in line with Ziggy as he crossed for the dissalowed goal. It was not even close to going out. A very poor decision.

Both Jorge and Ziggy were dead on their feet at the end. In fact we looked knackered for all of the game after the 2nd equaliser. Tired players take tired pens - it was best to leave them out. They all seeemed to be good pens from both sides - even Wracks. Fair play to the Blackburn keeper.

Overall I'm dissapointed. Although it was away at a premiership club they fielded such a weakened side it was a very winnable game. I'm sure Leicester on Saturday will be a tougher side. We had the chances to win it throughout with the Herivelto effort that hit the bar being the turning point. We would have won from 3-1 I have no doubt.

By arron davis (62.171.194.36) on Thursday, November 07, 2002 - 12:17 pm: Edit

hi steve i think walsall once again defended poorley i think we should buy a good strong central defender and we will be better in defence

By Chris Owen (217.205.220.2) on Thursday, November 07, 2002 - 12:44 pm: Edit

What was equally annoying about the BBC Radio Five coverage was the sneering comment immediately after the return to the studio made by the presenter to a caller - implying that they had all been wasting their time listening to the coverage of the penalty shoot out. We can at least hold our heads up high about a creditable performance, noted by many Blackburn fans today on various boards - even if the media - both local and national - still appear to think we're a standing joke. Its odd when other small clubs in this division - notably Rotherham, and before their relegation (oh I cried...) Crewe - seem to get a deal more respect than we do for what we've achieved. We must the most unfashionable club on the face of the earth?

Fensaddler

By SheffieldSaddler (194.202.181.189) on Thursday, November 07, 2002 - 12:56 pm: Edit

Excellent idea arron. Who would you suggest? Woodgate, Ferdinand, Campbell......

By arrons mate (62.171.220.228) on Thursday, November 07, 2002 - 01:06 pm: Edit

I think we need to sine bettur players then we will bee better

By popperpancake (81.77.110.255) on Thursday, November 07, 2002 - 01:51 pm: Edit

Why do we never get any respect in the media. fudge crewe. You'd think they were the best side in the country. Even when they went down it was "what a great breeding ground for players they are", "they play the right way" etc etc. Who gives a ••••. Didn't hear radio 5 coverage but i can imagine what it was like. As for central....they're a big joke. Zigor does need to come up with a new strategy for his pens......but if he continues like this he'll be top scorer soon. Have we ever had son many penalties in such a short space of time?

By Neil Ravenscroft (62.172.127.2) on Thursday, November 07, 2002 - 02:00 pm: Edit

Not since the days of Tommy Watson (see thread below)!

By Barry Jenkinson (213.18.248.29) on Thursday, November 07, 2002 - 02:36 pm: Edit

I'm a Blackburn fan exiled in Kent and I agree the coverage on Radio 5 was a disgrace, they managed to provide commentary for the end of Newc v Everton but treat our game as a joke. He thought Mahon took the first but it was Curtis, he didn't know who Dunn was, when Mahon actually took one he was confused coz he thought he took the 1st one, and the last one he thought was taken by McEveley who is a 6ft + thin defender when it was really taken by Richards who is considerably smaller and stockier and different coloured hair, bloody amatuers. The reporter was only watching the game for 120 mins!

By Stu (62.252.64.8) on Thursday, November 07, 2002 - 04:33 pm: Edit

Gutted! Just a fingertip away from the 4th round, although with our record of defending 3-1 leads maybe its a good job we didn't go 3-1 up.

I thought we easily matched them, their 'weakened' side still contained Kelly, Johnasson, Dunn, Jansen, Grabbi and Gillespie. All qualiter players, and the only non-international of those cost £6.75m (Grabbi).

But, I have to say, I've seen us play better. Penalties is just a lottery, and I wasn't confident of Wrack taking one anyway. Last time he did he missed (during the season 3/4 players all missed penalties). I hate this 'place the ball' mentality, it makes it easier for a keeper. You should just belt the ball. But, he had a good game again I thought.

Aranalde really would be a better left winger I think. That penalty was laughable, what was going through Zigor's mind? Add to that Gillespie sucked him out of position so easily. Gillespie sits on the touchline, someone pings the ball out to him. He waits for Zigor to rush out of position at him, then he skips round Aranalde like he isn't there. He was up against a good player, but still, he does seem to forget the basics sometimes.

Bring on Leicester...

I don't wanna be Lee on Saturday morning, both Harry and Driller did very well when coming on. So he has an awkward decision to make! I also liked the Harry-Driller forward line with Jorge out wide...

By Raybould (195.92.168.172) on Thursday, November 07, 2002 - 09:02 pm: Edit

We listened to Five live on the way back from the game and it seems they have a poor perception of Villa too. A Villa fan came on and was alomst immediately cut off cos 'the line was breaking up', was it hell!! Guess what.... after hed been cut off they went ovet to a moaning West Ham fan and indulged him for 3 whole minutes. Cockney bias??

By TNT (134.220.2.2) on Thursday, November 07, 2002 - 09:03 pm: Edit

I had to laugh at the patranising crap coming form the pitch announcer at ewood showed the first goal six times, and referred to us in a sesne like kids. you can keep your premiership

By ian hemmings (195.93.33.13) on Thursday, November 07, 2002 - 09:38 pm: Edit

have to disgree paul g i thought it was a poor penalty and dazza telegraphed where he was gonna put it! he didnt look confident at all and i think the keeper picked up on that and watched the run up and saved the penelty! but atleast he had the balls to have a go!

By hullsaddler (212.50.176.16) on Thursday, November 07, 2002 - 11:47 pm: Edit

My dad listened to commentary on Radio Lancashire & they said a) we should have won b)it was a goal.I know this is little consolation but shows that we impressed someone even if not radio 5. What did radio 5 say about us that was so annoying,as I only caught the moaning West Ham supporters,mind you I live next door to one of those in Hull.

By hairy cornflake (217.39.85.188) on Friday, November 08, 2002 - 12:17 am: Edit

you can listen to it on the beebs website.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/

click listen now then 606 football phone in

By Paul G (194.117.133.182) on Friday, November 08, 2002 - 08:22 am: Edit

Ian - yes having seen it on TV now I have changed my mind. I was so near the front that the players stood on the half way line obscured my view during the shoot out. All I saw was wracks pen going for the corner. On TV it was clear his run up gave away where he was going to place it.

Return to 2002-03 Season