Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Notts Forest (a) - Worthington Cup Rnd 2 - 2nd October 2002

Reports and reaction from the 2002-03 season as Walsall finished 17th in Division 1
Andy
UTS Regular

Notts Forest (a) - Worthington Cup Rnd 2 - 2nd October 2002

Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:37 pm

By MR D DOFFER on Wednesday, October 02, 2002 - 01:08 pm: Edit

doffer here

well, morning of the game and no posts, are we that interested with the game lads?????

Just a win and a big club at the bescot in the next round.

I bet if we draw BRAZIL the bescot will be full.

from doffer in his own little dream world.

By MR D DOFFER on Wednesday, October 02, 2002 - 01:35 pm: Edit

DOFFER HERE BLOODY HELL

JUST READ ON TEAMTALK THAT FITZ IS PLAYING TONITE.

MAKE YOUR MINDS UP BONSER & CO

A HOPEFUL DOFFER

By dave_hawkes on Wednesday, October 02, 2002 - 02:11 pm: Edit

Forest are flying since we beat them. Johnson is scoring goals again. They seem a stronger side this season. Top ten again for them.

We can win there though, just depends how well we play without the big man next to Jorge. Big night for the defence, have to keep it tight. Jorge needs a good game.

A nice share of the gate receipts tonight and then a big side back at the Bescot in the next round, plus a deal for Fitz, would do nicely!

By JDW on Wednesday, October 02, 2002 - 08:16 pm: Edit

Played 30 mins currently 2-0 to walsall, leitao and junior with the goals. Hopefully will hold on to win.

C'mon Saddlers

Shabba

By Exile on Wednesday, October 02, 2002 - 09:48 pm: Edit

2-1 to the mighty Saddlers. Yesssss. Glued to text commentary courtesy of the BBC this morning, and it looks like we were under siege for the latter part of the game. Still, can't complain when we've got through to the next round!

Even better, I've got to see a client this morning who is a Forest fan! I'm looking forward to collecting my beer vouchers.

Cheers all
Exile

By JDW on Wednesday, October 02, 2002 - 09:49 pm: Edit

Few...
Notts Forest 1 Walsall 2

Very nerve-wracking towards the end, at least on the radio it was. NF seemed to have no-end of corners.

Hopefully we will get a good draw in the next round.

The draw is on Soccer Saturday this Saturday afternoon.

Best Wishes

Shabba

By Neil Ravenscroft on Wednesday, October 02, 2002 - 10:05 pm: Edit

So who scored? I've seen Hay, Leitao and Junior all credited. Did we get three and no one noticed?

By belgian saddler on Wednesday, October 02, 2002 - 10:12 pm: Edit

jorge and junior. top

By belgian saddler on Wednesday, October 02, 2002 - 10:15 pm: Edit

couldn`t get commentary on wm (again) allowing me to avoid mick kearns` comments, nice comment on radio nottingham about jorge and junior `ripping the forest defence apart` in 1st half.

By Neil Ravenscroft on Wednesday, October 02, 2002 - 10:30 pm: Edit

Just checked the BBC text commentary (on bbc.co.uk) and they have Leitao and Junior, in that order, Jorge getting an assist for Juniors.

By Paul G on Wednesday, October 02, 2002 - 11:52 pm: Edit

God we were good in the first half. More chances to make it three or four and Junior missed a cracking chance when it was still 0-0.

Second half we were under the cosh. A tendency to lie back too much - when we did break out we almost always created a chance. How did Birch put his one on one wide? Fantastic save by Jimmy in the 94th minute.

Very eerie atmosphere in a near deserted stadium. Best chant of the season heard in the second half as we calmly knocked the ball around whilst holding the lead - "are we Arsenal in disguise"

By Geordiesaddler on Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 12:03 am: Edit

Just got in from a works do to see this unbelieveble scorline. What a result, this has all the makings of a memorable season. Roll on the draw, and Saturday's game, Newcastle away will do me, or Sunderland, Middlesborough, or anybody at home. What a great sequence of results, surely Fitz must be signed? Surely my missus has made me some tea? NOOOO00000HHH. I'm off to the Indians ro tell them about our triumph, and advise them on their lager lake.

By Geoff Whiting on Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 01:30 am: Edit

Belgian Saddler, I couldn't get the WM Walsall commentary on Saddlers World - AGAIN - but I could get the Notts Forest commentary - it was the same situation vs. Millwall the other week, no WM commentary - just the opponents' version to listen to.

Anyone know what the hell is going on, I mean what's the point of subscribing to Saddlers World if you get bugger-all of our commentary and have to tune in to the opposition's instead ?

By belgian saddler on Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 06:29 am: Edit

who cares, at least we heard the match without having to listen to mick kearns droaning on

By cat3 on Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 08:09 am: Edit

Yes... We are on a roll... We should give Simpson a contract, he made strategic impact to the squad so far... Onward this week with Derby, we shall kick their butt and move us on top to 10th spot...

By RushallSaddler on Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 09:00 am: Edit

Didn't make it last night but me and my tribe will be there on Saturday (all 13 of us) just like to know how fitzroy played as WM only did commentary on the last 20 minutes or so.

By Chris Owen on Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 09:35 am: Edit

First time this season I've actually been in the house when Walsall are playing to put on the Internet commentary, and I'm not chuffed. It took me at least 20 minutes even to get a connection, and then all I could get was a very faint (pretty much inaudible) commentary on the Villa match. Is it like this every match? Can hardly blame the club, but surely the club needs to be complaining bitterly to the service provider about the appalling quality of their product. Its one thing when we were getting this for free, but we've shelled out for this and expectations are inevitably higher as a result. But what a result eh? Can't see us needing strikers at the moment with what we've got. Central midfield and left back cover maybe - and the rest of the team appear to be doing their best to help Fitz stay.

By Stu on Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 10:07 am: Edit

I complained about this after the Millwall match and was advised that it is a problem with WM.

Which, would make sense as we you can get commentary from any other team on any other game. So you know its not a problem at the SaddlersWorld end. Just complain, thats what I did.

Although, I like listening to oppositions commentary as it tells you what they really think of you...

By belgian saddler on Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 10:33 am: Edit

good point stu, it was clear that radio nottingham weren't too impressed with getting stuffed AGAIN by "such an ordinary side as walsall". shame

By Stu on Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 11:03 am: Edit

I was quite surprised to hear them call us "ordinary", we've beat them 4 times in the last season and a bit. I think we've also played very well in those 4 games, but, we're only little old Walsall and we won't get credit.

The weekend papers even had Wednesday down to win at our gaff, Yorath said that he "expected 3 points" from playing us. Thats downright arrogance, as they've been crap for two years, were worse than us last season and we were below us when we played them last weekend.

Maybe one day somebody will turn around and say "actually, they're a decent side who play good football and on they're day they're a very good side. Mid table 1st division side is likely."

By Somebody on Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 11:06 am: Edit

actually, they're a decent side who play good football and on they're day they're a very good side. Mid table 1st division side is likely

By Stu on Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 11:52 am: Edit

You took your bloody time!

By philthesaddler on Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 12:34 pm: Edit

if we have only lost one game in which simo was playing under Colin Lee then why the hell haven't the board given him a contract, it would be like buying results!

By the board on Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 01:29 pm: Edit

We give Simo a contract, we've only lost one game in which he was playing. (this is just like buying results)

By Gaz on Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 03:30 pm: Edit

Was there last night and to be honest Paul G's report just about hit the nail on the head. Played superbly first half. Loads of composure and excellent passing. Simo and O'Connor fantastic. We have to sign that man up. Then typical Saddlers. Sat back on our laurels for the whole of the 2nd half and allowed them to come at us. Were under little pressure till they scored their goal and then they threw the kitchen sink at us for the remaining 10 mins. Absolutely fantastic save in injury time form a curling Scimeca drive. Overall though, we thoroughly deserved it. The crowd was dire - 6,300! I'd guess maybe 500 or so Saddlers made the journey and were relatively noisy. Oh bugger, I'm late for my French class. Better go...

By Neil on Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 03:48 pm: Edit

I am with you about Fitz and a contract but think back to other players who have been at the club and worked their backsides off to get a contract and as soon as they get one they become ordinary players again. Tom Bennett, Brett Angell--- need I go on.

By Geordiesaddler on Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 04:20 pm: Edit

I think we should sign Fitz, but if you read what Collin Lee said on today's E and S site the club is in (by our standards), financial strife. Think it was Shiff who said not signing Fitz when the club is supposedly in the black didn't add up, and according to Lee's interview it doesn't, cause we're not! Fingers crossed for a big draw on Saturday, and 7-8k regularly turning up now the GA is open. Collin Lee certainly deserves that support for producing what could be our most successful team ever.

By cat3 on Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 07:41 pm: Edit

The best is yet to come...

By StevefromMachen on Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 08:07 pm: Edit

A brilliant result - come the Saddlers - just a quick note for the other users of Saddlers World - Yes the lack of WM coverage is annoying - I've emailed Andy Poole tonight about it - It would just be nice for the club to let us know what is happening - since us poor saps who've forked the money aren't getting too good a service.
Ahh the joys of supporting Walsall.
Up the Saddlers!

By Shifnalsaddler on Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 08:29 pm: Edit

Yes Geordie, I think it was me made the point you mention, to whit, if we are, as we are always being told, such a well run club, then why can't we sign him? He's free, just his wages are needed, and he isn't a fringe player, but a crucial one, without whom we haven't won in the league this season.

The whole situation makes no sense to me.

Trouble is, I never believe a word to come out of WFC, the people who run the club have no credibility IMO (I'm aware the feeling is mutual), if they issued a press release and said it was thursday, I'd rush to my calendar to check that was correct.

So I really don't know what to make of it.
Something I posted the other day got no reaction so I'll post it again because I thought it very interesting and illuminating. This was, that according to the Observer, at a meeting of all 24 first division chairmen recently, the question was asked, who can guarantee fulfilling their fixtures this season? Only Norwich, Wolves, and Pompey raised their hands. What does that say about us?

By Exile on Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 09:49 pm: Edit

Actually, Shif, it's Friday morning for me!

Regarding your more salient question, I guess that if you look at a worst case scenario, then the above clubs would be the only ones with wedge enough to get through to the season's close. Say the unthinkable happens, and for some bizarre reason there is a full-scale riot at Bescot (perhaps Jimmy kicks the ball into his own net to make it 10-0 to Derby at half time and the squad get mangled in the pitch invasion as everyone tries to get to the Bonser Suite to protest), leading to closed-door matches for the rest of the season. We'd never survive on the takings from the club shop or Saddlersworld plus.

I think that providing any form of guarantee in the current footballing environment is foolhardy to say the least (and not just because of my appalling example above!), and can only applaud the other 21 chairmen for being realistic. Naarwich, W****s and Pompey can make brave statements because of good cash backing, but for the rest of us, without our sugar daddies, there is, inevitably, a monkey on our backs. Not a particularly big one, but enough to worry about nevertheless.

I reckon we've got good management rather than dumb management. It would be great to spend a millionaire's fortune, or borrow from the banks to improve in the short term, but for the likes of us (i.e. not big 6, or G14 or whatever), this only leads to problems down the track - look at Barnsley for just the latest example.

There's a wind of change whistling through the game, and we'll be lucky not to be blown away by it. The club recognise that, thankfully.

Enough of my ramblings, I'm beginning to think I'm Geoff Whiting in disguise!

Cheers all
Exile

By belgian saddler on Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 10:46 pm: Edit

to shifnal,

sgfiwasfgtoooookxjz\mflongeeeeeeekhvlcgeoffghjewbvfdelfgswhittingpjohf;fbvhrjoeg strosyndromeoijhvboflhcxbvg; vjhcx;fudge, see ya later mate

By Geoff Whiting on Friday, October 04, 2002 - 01:56 am: Edit

No need to take the ••••, Exile, you've just proved that it often takes more than a couple of lines to get your point across properly and make it understood.

Good post of yours, NOT ramblings. Anyone can do the smart one liners, takes a bit more thought to write with a bit more substance, mate.

I expect loads of bollocks and ••••-taking from people tomorrow after this, but frankly who cares ? Post your views about the Saddlers on here, that's what the message board is for. Why's it matter how long or how short ?

By Geoff Whiting on Friday, October 04, 2002 - 01:58 am: Edit

Why can you say bollocks but not p-i-s-s on here guys ?

By JPD on Friday, October 04, 2002 - 04:16 am: Edit

Maybe our chairman didn't understand the question, or he went to the Div 2 meeting out of habit.
I know all about Fitz, but isn't this an acid test?
Let the money go and you're in the same boat as Watford, Barnsley etc.
Strength to trust the manager's summer signings and say 'no' to unlimited signings is what has got us here.
The problem lies in some of the signings not living up to expectations.
It was the same with Sir Rays signings last season.

By One line master on Friday, October 04, 2002 - 09:05 am: Edit

How could we be in financial trouble? After all we won't spend money we haven't got, we don't need gate money to survive and the owner being the landlord creates a benefit of interests because payments could be suspended if the future of the club were threatened.

Don't forget as well that following the ITV digital collapse the critics should be silent because of the way the club was run there would be no threat of Walsall FC going under.

How could there be a financial cloud over us when at the arse end of last season we offered Darren Byfield a deal to make him the highest palyer at the club at a time when rumours over ITV Digital abounded and we had the largest (and probably the highest paid)squad for a decade?

How could this be when we pay for a roof bracket to clear the view for the middle section of the least populated stand at Bescot.

How could this be if we are quite happy to appear on television and brag about how little we spend on players wages and hold ourselves up as an example for others to follow?

How could the fear of going over budget stand up when you consider that we signed Junior after the start of the season when the level of crowds must have been apparent?

How can it be when we extend Gavin Wards contract when recently it was revealed there were special dispensations in the Premiership transfer window for goalkeepers?

No we couldn't possibly be in financial trouble...could we?

By Ulster Saddler on Friday, October 04, 2002 - 09:11 am: Edit

Isn't it quite ironic that all these ex premiership clubs that are now in financial trouble- all have fallen on hard times- who do they turn to for help now the TV money and suits have deserted them?.......... the true loyal supporters who they know will go through thick and thin. Those that went years before football became "fashionable" and will be there long after the financial correction that the game will inevitably have to go through.
UP THE SADDLERS AND ALL LOYAL SUPPORTERS

By Geordiesaddler on Friday, October 04, 2002 - 09:47 am: Edit

Collin Lee was obviously put in the picture regarding the club's finances at his meeting with Bonser, and fair play to him going to press and explaining the situation to the fans. Fact is that six of the seven crowds at home this season have been way down on last years average, and to be honest the one last week was only average. However, the best chance we've got of raising revenue is to be successful, escpecially in the cups. The success we have with Fitz in the team is staggering (one defeat in about 17?). Wouldn't it be refreshing if Bonser put his hand in his pocket and personnally underwrote Fitz's wages for say 3 months because of these "special circumstances". Scenario (in my dreams) could go something like, "because of the obvious positive effect which Fitz has on both the balance of the team and the dressing room I have decided to personnally underwrite a basic 3 month contract (£1000 per week? = 12 grand?). Becasue of the negative effect on gates which the ground developments have had the club is not in a position to offer Fitz a contract. However, I feel that it would be foolheardy to undermine the fantastic progress which Collin Lee is making at this time because of what could prove to be temporary budgeting problems. Given that during the next three months we have the opportunity to progress from the third round stage of both cup competitions there is huge potential to generate income from results. Also the opening of the new stand will hopefully see a marked improvement in attendances. I have been impressed with the players attitude and with Collin's judgement, all that I ask now is that supporters respond by turning up in greater numbers. To further encourage this the club will be announcing several incentive schemes over the coming weeks, the first of which is the extra ticket for a fiver for our season ticket holders (Crystal Palace)."

Yes I know it was Bonser who decided to pay Fitz appearance money, so I'm not just blindly knocking him. I just wish if he could push the boat out a bit more and do things with a bit more bravado so as to throw the gaunlet down to the missing fans - the effect could well galvanise the club and bring everyone closer together. Instead we have festering uncertainty over a key player and nasty rumours about finances. But like I say, in my dreams.

By Tim Wilkes on Friday, October 04, 2002 - 10:36 am: Edit

push the boat out.....bravado....throw down the gauntlet.

Geordie, have you been reading romantic fiction by any chance?

By BrisbaneSaddler on Friday, October 04, 2002 - 10:47 am: Edit

Did anyone see the Aussie comedy movie "the Castle"?
They will know the catch phrase 'tell him he's dreaming'.
I hope you aren't dreaming Geordie.
You've raised funds for clubs in the past Geordie - what do you suggest?

By Geordiesaddler on Friday, October 04, 2002 - 10:56 am: Edit

I am feeling romantic today as it's my wife's 25th birthday. I've even cancelled my planned trip
to Newcastle Blue Star versus Whitley Bay this evening, and bought her a punch bag so she can practice her kick boxing in the garage.

By Geordiesaddler on Friday, October 04, 2002 - 11:09 am: Edit

Brisbane, I think the club are on the right track generally, but they have been slow to react and unimaginative when it comes to trying to get bums on seats. Colin Lee is quoted on team talk as saying they should try and do more on a match day, and given the lack of ameneties around the ground I'm inclined to agree with him. The next big test for the commercial department is the opening of the new stand. If they get the pricing and the accessibility wrong as they did earlier in the season it'll be a disater. However, what they are trying to do with the Crystal Palace tickets is a step in the right direction. I still say there could be more done in terms of transport to the ground. Look at Derby on Saturday shuttle busses to the ground from 1.30 onwards, as is the case at almost all other out of town grounds.

By Charlie Richens on Friday, October 04, 2002 - 11:11 am: Edit

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of light, it was the season of darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were going direct to heaven, we were going direct the other way.

So it is, was and forever shall be following Walsall FC.

By Captain John Sheridan on Friday, October 04, 2002 - 02:51 pm: Edit

It was the year of fire; the year of destruction; the year we took back what was ours.

It was the year of rebirth; the year of great sadness; the year of pain and a year of joy.

It was a new age; it was the end of history; it was the year everthing changed.

The year is 2002; the place - Bescot Stadium

By Phil_G on Friday, October 04, 2002 - 05:22 pm: Edit

Apologies to Shakespeare (that's Bill, not Craig)

This royal pitch of kings, this scept'red ground,
This earth of majesty, this plastic seat of Mars,
This other Eden, demi-paradise,
This fortress built by Bonser for himself
Against infection and the hand of Ramsden,
This happy breed of supporters, this little world,
This precious corrugated steel sheet set in the silver carpark,
Which serves it in the office of a wall,
Or as a moat defensive to a house,
Against the envy of less happier teams;
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this Bescot.

By Chris Owen on Friday, October 04, 2002 - 05:39 pm: Edit

Ar. Cum on me babbies.

By bumma on Friday, October 04, 2002 - 05:40 pm: Edit

Club Tropicana,
drinks ARE free.
Fun and sunshine,
there's enought for EVERYONE.
All that's missing is the sea,
but don't worry, you can suntan.

George Micheal
1746 - 1811

By Chris Owen on Friday, October 04, 2002 - 05:41 pm: Edit

Charlie, Captain John, Phil - priceless all of you, keep it up. Its what I read this board for. Hell its what I live for.

By cat3 on Friday, October 04, 2002 - 05:56 pm: Edit

Premiership, here we come!!!

By Tim Wilkes on Friday, October 04, 2002 - 06:04 pm: Edit

With apologies to William Blake.

And did those boots in ancient time
Walk upon Bescot’s field so green
And was the holy hair of Don
On Bonsor’s pleasant pastures seen
And did the centre backs divine
Head back into the other half
And was Darren Bazley standing there
Like a smaller, dark haired Danny Mills

Bring me my pie of balti gold
Bring me my overpriced programme
Bring me my Saddlers World password
Bring me my Corica replica shirt
I will not cease from hating Wolves
Nor shall my rattle sleep in hand
'Til we have built a brand new stand
On Bescot’s green and pleasant land
'Til we have built a brand new stand
On Bescot’s green and pleasant land

By Geoff Whiting on Friday, October 04, 2002 - 06:16 pm: Edit

Can you give us a clue about the tune to that, please Tim. I mean, it's pretty bloody good, if you can get the right tune to go with it, mate.

By the hooded claw on Friday, October 04, 2002 - 06:39 pm: Edit

C'mon Geoff,
Jerusalum ring any bells?
sheesh.

By Geoff Whiting on Friday, October 04, 2002 - 06:55 pm: Edit

Hooded Claw, take off your hood, it was a JOKE.

By the unhooded claw on Friday, October 04, 2002 - 06:57 pm: Edit

WAS IT?

By Pun Police on Friday, October 04, 2002 - 07:01 pm: Edit

You've already got a caution against your name Mr Whiting.

By Jim Jism on Friday, October 04, 2002 - 07:11 pm: Edit

I saw some rude graffiti about him at the ground. I guess the Whiting's on the wall.

By Geoff Whiting on Friday, October 04, 2002 - 07:21 pm: Edit

Thanks boys, seems you are well able to match me for feeble humour, please stop now before I burst my sides

By Slapstick on Friday, October 04, 2002 - 07:43 pm: Edit

You don't wanna do that, it might hurt.

By Geoff Whiting on Friday, October 04, 2002 - 08:50 pm: Edit

IT DID !

Visiting is 6pm to 8pm at The Manor

By Neil Ravenscroft on Friday, October 04, 2002 - 10:13 pm: Edit

Careful, Geoff, people don't tend to come out of there!

By Dorothy Pattison on Friday, October 04, 2002 - 10:13 pm: Edit

blimey you'll take the two hours answering the question "how are you?"

By Eddie Grundy on Friday, October 04, 2002 - 10:24 pm: Edit

tum te tum te tum te tum
dum de dum de dum dum
tum te tum te tum te tum
tum te tiddly tum

dum de tidderly
dum de tidderly
dum de tidderly tum

tum te tum te tum te tum
tum ter tidderly dum

BUM de DER BER DER DUM BAH DUM
BAH dum DER DER DER DER DUM BAH DUM
der dum der da dah da der der
dum bah dum der dum dah dah...

By Geoff Whiting on Saturday, October 05, 2002 - 02:06 am: Edit

Eddie Grundy, that IS brilliant mate. If I'd been asked to put that tune into words, I could never have done it as well as you have here, mate. Absolutely stunning ! Are you now about to follow this up by reading out the footie results from the 50s and 60s ? Was this "Sports Report" or what on BBC Radio ?

Neil, the Manor has an awful reputation I know, but I will probably survive, at least long enough to visit Pride Park tomorrow (oops, just saw the clock - I mean later today).

Dorothy Pattison, excuse me, but - "Bollocks" ! That's all I can think of to say. I might respond better to something more intelligent, duck.

By Dr Zhivago nee Shipman on Saturday, October 05, 2002 - 09:02 am: Edit

Geoff, turn off your computer and go outside, your skins starting to go the colour of tippex.

Return to 2002-03 Season