Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Shrewsbury (h) - Worthington Cup Rnd 1 - 10th September 2002

Reports and reaction from the 2002-03 season as Walsall finished 17th in Division 1
Andy
UTS Regular

Shrewsbury (h) - Worthington Cup Rnd 1 - 10th September 2002

Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:35 pm

Walsall 1 Shrewsbury 0
Leitao 23

Walker , Hay , Roper , Aranalde , Carbon , Sonner , Corica (Matias 61) , O'Connor (Wrack 68) , Leitao , Bazeley , Junior (Zdrilic 61)

Report courtesy of TheSaddlersFC.tk

Just over 3000 witnessed Walsall cruise past a Shrewsbury side who battled hard but lacked the quality of there old rivals Walsall.

Brazilian forward Junior made his full debut for the Saddlers, and during the first half looked a class above every other player on the pitch. His flicks and his touch were second to none and he peeled of the forward line to collect the ball on a number of occasions and linked well with the hard working Leitao, he isn't afraid to have shot either, with a 25 yard pile driver just going over the bar in the first half.

Junior created the goal when ounce he again he dropped off the forward line, picked up the ball and played in Leitao, who raced clear in to the penalty box and hammered his shot past the Shrews keeper.

10 minutes later Junior proved his aerial prowess when he fired a header towards the cross bar from a corner. He did however seem to have problems with the physical nature of the game, and was constantly complaining to ref, which earned him a booking.

Shrewsbury did have there chances, the pacy Rodgers was marked closely by Ian Roper, but he managed to wriggle free a couple of times in the first half but his finishing wasn't good enough to trouble Walsall. The best Town chance fell to Murray on the stroke of half time, but he too missed the target.

Half Time: Walsall 1-0 Shrewsbury Town.

The Second Half will be remembered for its missed chances and the interruptions in play from the referee and substitutions. Junior seemed to have ran out of steam, and Jorge Leitao worked tirelessly upfront which earned him the SaddlersFc man of the Match award.

The chances of goals in the second half was dealt a blow when Rodgers came of injured, and Junior and Corica were replaced by Zdrilic and Matias. During the second period, Leitao had a header that came in off the post and Pedro Matias had an effort that was cleared of the Shrewsbury line.

Town did press forward more in the second half, with an Atkins effort being saved by Walsall late in the second half. It was Walsall's David Zdrilic who had the best chance to score in the second half with his shot at the far post saved by the Town keeper.

It was clear during passages of the game that Walsall had far more quality in there side, and that the hoof it, physical Shrewsbury Side were going to be consigned to another year in the basement, and I think all Saddlers Fans should thank Bonser et al for building a club that is no longer on a par with the likes of Shrewsbury Town.

By thequeuewas fun on Tuesday, September 10, 2002 - 11:32 pm: Edit

Well the usual ticket office cock-up. Big queue and Whalley blaming the fans for not knowing it was all-ticket and then refusing to delay the kick-off or open the turnstiles to cash - and they are supposed to be encouraging people to come to the games??? - What a joke that lot are. Loads of people were just walking away in disgust. Yet another own goal by WFC, potential fans lost and there will be no apology from Whalley - just more of the same; blaming everybody but themselves - WILL THEY NEVER LEARN????

By Fish on Tuesday, September 10, 2002 - 11:55 pm: Edit

Lots of angry fans on the car park at the back of the Bank's tonight. Apparently the club has decided that cars must remain there until the ground had emptied, stewards blocked the exit for around 15 mins not allowing anyone to leave.

LOTS of tempers were getting really frayed, it had the potential to turn really nasty.

It now appears that you cannot get in the ground without a going to a lot of trouble...and once you're in, you get out again! What a shambles.

In all my years of watching Walsall I you cannot remember supporters treated so badly. Whalley has to sort this out now, he cannot afford to push around the few remaining supporters he has.

It strikes me that the management at Bescot is becoming increasingly bureaucratic.

By popperpancake on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 12:42 am: Edit

The organisation is rubbish but the amount of times ive been walking out behind the bank's stand and some prick(s) in cars just come tanking thru makes me think (from a purely selfish view) that its a great idea. As for the ticketing 2nite.....nothing needs to be said that hasn't already / won't be said by other people. I was more upset about the shambles on the pitch tho to be honest.

By Geoff Whiting on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 01:26 am: Edit

Interestingly no-one has mentioned the match !

Then again, what was there to mention, other than a well-crafted goal ( OUT OF THE BLUE, hardly on the cards was it ? ), Junior header against the bar, at least 2 chances blown from about 3 YARDS out, and a fair old heap of utter garbage in between.

Thank God the Shrews didn't get an equaliser towards the end - I could not have sat through 30 more minutes of that crap.

I'd like to know what exactly were our tactics supposed to be tonight - CL & SH, any answers ?

This is becoming embarrassing - and if tonight's performance is repeated against Bradford & Rotherham I can see only two defeats - even though both of these games will be Six Pointers.

There is a lot of work for CL to do with the players b4 Saturday if tonight is anything to go by.

Did anyone else leave tonight feeling totally embarrassed ?

By Exile on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 01:36 am: Edit

Are Walsall's management "team" suffering from Big Club syndrome? The situation sounds appalling.

Who are Walsall to think that a midweek game against (with all due respect to our opposition) a lower league team should be all ticket with no pay on the gate?

Were Walsall expecting a sell-out crowd on all-ticket?

What did Walsall hope to achieve by trying to make this match all ticket in the first place?

Will any more season tickets be sold as a result of this match?

Its the Worthless Cup for crying out loud! It should have been a run in the park for the team, and a great, great opportunity to get a lot of newish faces down the Bescot by offering cash sales on the turnstiles at hugely discounted rates. Treat these games as loss leaders - every one is a bonus over the regular season!

I am horrified, and I'm miles away. Sorry for you chaps closer to home! What an embarrassment. No wonder people go to our "bigger" neighbours.

Cheers all
Exile

By Red Ethel on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 08:40 am: Edit

Just wondered how many games it is now till I can say what I think of Zdrilic.

By Neil Ravenscroft on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 09:14 am: Edit

Spot on, exile. Whalley's only reaction last night was to say "you've had a week to buy tickets".
I'm also seem to be in a minority in that I think it wasn't pretty and we never got out of second gear and could have won 3 or 4 nil! We were never really in any trouble and O'Connor and Sonner were in complete control when they were together.

By Geordiesaddler on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 09:21 am: Edit

Wonder what gems of genius we can expect in the event of drawing a premiership team. Get your club shop £20 quids ready lads and lasses, or will it be "you have to buy a ticket for Wimbledon at home as well", Or will it go completely the other way to the tune of "tickets went on sale yesterday, it was first come first served even if you've got a season ticket so tough sh!t. Or maybe even, "win tickets to see Wolves v Villa, a "quality" Worthington Cup tie". Then again if we win the cup we won't get a victory parade anyhow, just more crap about choosing which tunes to play over the PA, buy a brick, and bid for any other old crap they can find lying around the place.

Ahhh well done Whalley and co, you've really kept the momentum going from last season - it is time for Mick Kearns to go and slag the stay aways off yet, or is that the FA cup?

By Stu on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 09:51 am: Edit

Red Ethel, as I've said regarding Junior, how does 10 games sound? Or do you expect a player to move country, suffer a nasty little injury, meet a new team, learn to play a new style and perform to his full ability on Day 1. If you do, I think your asking a little too much.

Why are we always so quick to judge a player on the basis of a couple of subs apperances?

My old man, who went to the game, said he thought Zdrillic didn't look too bad. He didnt think he'd score goals, but said he'd be a good foil for a striker, worked hard and held the ball up pretty well considering he needs more match fitness.

As for the ticketing farce. Thats WFC for you. Apparently Whalley was on WM at 7pm last night urging people to come down if they've got nothing better to do! Yet, my old man who was unaware it was all ticket (as was I) missed the first 10 mins as he was queuing for a ticket for 25mins.

Whalley, how do you expect people to come down when they face a farce like that? Learn some decent customer relations, marketing and advertising skills, and people might start listening to you.

By Neil Ravenscroft on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 10:21 am: Edit

I thought Dzrillic was lookong much sharper last night and looked like he could play with Jorge, as did Junior for the first half (he faded a bit in the second)

By Red Ethel on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 10:24 am: Edit

Stu, 10 games sounds fine. I knew that was the recommended minimum. I was wondering how many of the 10 we have had? Can we count preseason?

By Stu on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 10:35 am: Edit

Ok, if you want I'll let you have the behind close door games as well then!

haha

By Geordiesaddler on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 10:37 am: Edit

Just to sound an optimistic note, I don't think we should underestimate a scruffy first round cup win over lower opposition, as usually this means the start of an epic cup run. Also, win on Saturday and it's four wins out of six - I'd take another scruffy 1-0 as well.

By Mal on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 10:50 am: Edit

On the ticket front its been like this for years, I know I've been in the queues. The appararent real reason for the no cash turnstiles is that this is on Police advice. If it is all ticket there is a reduction in police needed on the ground and such lower cost to the club.

So it goes that you get your cash out ya pocket, pay at the window (eventually), walk to a turnstile that is open, take the ticket out and hand it over to spotty geek behind bars. Mmmm cut out the middle man.

Walley I hope Mr Poole passes the feelings and feedback from the board because the new stand is gonna be the John Ireland of the Millenium, no fans, no atmosphere and club which is being run at the front end with those that matter i.e. the Fans worse than sunday morning pub team.

Sort it out or resign you jumped up schollteacher....Mal stand in the corner and face the wall......Oooops sorry Mr Walley I will now calm down and do as I'm told.

P.S I am one of the loyal season ticket holders you craped on again last night, £8 or not. Why not have vouchers, oh that means no sales. By the way all your ST holders are well peed off

By Neil Ravenscroft on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 10:58 am: Edit

I thought that the "boys in blue" might have had some influence on the decision to make it all ticket

By Geordiesaddler on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 11:30 am: Edit

No doubt the "on police advice" will be rolled out as the usual excuse. Three things - surely the all-ticket for home fans on police advice only has any merit if there is a possibility of away fans (who can't get tickets) paying on the door to get into home areas. 1)If so why did we create this situation by only giving them 500 tickets? Surely for a game like this we could have given them the WS. That would have been more than enough to cater for their fans, while the other two stands would have provided enough space for our expected level of support for such a low profile game. 2) If tickets are available on the day what is there to stop away fans queueing up and buying them anyhow??
3) It's standard practice in football to put the kick-of back when there's crowd congestion - for both safety reasons as well as customer service, where was the police advice here? or the common sense? Remember Preston away last year when they had similar problems due to a new stand being built. Us and only us seem to get things consistently wrong. Let's face it, those that missed the kick-off were being punished like naughty school kids for not listening to teacher's advice - now don't do it again.

By Dave Hawkes on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 12:40 pm: Edit

How do the club 'encourage' fans to come down this season? Beg people to come 45 minutes before kick off, introduce a very complicate ticketing sytem and make it even more complex for the next few home games, and then make those that stay away look like filth for not turning up. Why doesn't Wallet just say 'why aren't you here, you owe us one' which is basically what he has said in a round about way all summer.

What's wrong Wallet, I thought the club was so well run, was so financially secure thanks to your bloody suites, wrestling nights and Sunday frigging markets that we were just an extra cash bonus! You want us now don't you...

Over the last 30 months, I've been to roughly 50 matches. I've been to just one game this season, against Forest which was dire, but apparently one of the better games this season! Try and encourage me back please Wallet, rather than slagging me off for not coming, making me feel like a traitor for not coming, tell me why me Dad and I should spend £40 to watch the Saddlers play Bradford. Please!

http://www.thewalsallweb.cjb.com

By Stu on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 12:50 pm: Edit

Dave, I could say you should spend £40 because your meant to be a "fan", forget what Whalley and his cling-ons say. I'd say do it because you want to support the players and the gaffer!

And, because its only £24 (if you go in the W.Sharp, it never looks sold out!) or £30 in the Banks. You dont have to buy a programme, pie and pint. I never do.

But, thats not me criticising you or making you out to not be a "fan", that would be my reasoning for you to come down with your dad!

By flownswift on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 01:01 pm: Edit

I bet Wallet is at a meeting today congratulating himself, 'blimey' he's saying ' I went on WM at 7 pm and you should have seen the queue by 7:30. Look at all that revenue we would have lost had I not made the radio show.'

Regardless of everyone having to queue to buy what is essentially as pointless as a gift voucher, made even more pointless as you have to buy it for yourself.

By Lisa Angellis on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 01:26 pm: Edit

Who does Kenneth Hibbit think he is? Anyone hear him and the WM commentator smugly joking about the 'quality' of last nights game??? Hibbit went on to say that "we had some good nights at Bescot" when he was in charge. A couple of things. Next time u come to WFC Mr Hibbit and decide to mock our performance just remember the the absolute to55 we had to endure for 4 ball-aching yrs under your stewardship. Secondly can anyone recall one 'good night' during Hibbit's reign?

By Geordiesaddler on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 01:31 pm: Edit

I just think it's sad that these issues crop up time and time again. Tonight as I leave work, 52,000 people will be swanning effortlessly into the bars and streets around a city centre football ground which is so central and dominant to the city centre you'd think the rest of the town must have have been built round it. We have an out of town ground with purpose built car parks, adjacent motorway and it's own railway station. Last night it was filled to little over half a reduced capacity, and yet we couldn't contrive to get the crowd in before kick-off, or get people away in a timely fashion after the game. When the explanation comes for why this was it will undoubtedly be the fault of the fans, the police beaurocrats, etc. etc, anyone but those who are paid to manage the situation.

By SheffieldSaddler on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 03:55 pm: Edit

I bet all of the 52000 have purchased tickets before hand as well, they would have no chance of getting in otherwise!
A couple of points, last night should have been pay on night, did anyone honestly expect us to sell out? Whether it was police advice or not the club should have made sure you could just walk up to a turnstile and pay CASH. Honestly what another PR farce.
The fans who came last night and suffered this farce are not going to come back. Imagine if you thought, oh I will go and watch the Saddlers tonight, they are always asking for support. You turn up and suffer this, you would not bother again thats for certain.
A public apology for a start would be nice to all the fans that suffered last night. If Mr Wallet had any decency about him, this would have been done first thing this morning.
Get rid of the bloke, it is clear he has lost the plot. He is costing Walsall FC money and creating a sh*t load of bad PR.
I VOTE GEORDIESADLER to sort our PR out.

By Dave Hawkes on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 04:00 pm: Edit

Yes, thats a good reason to go Stu. But I want Wallet to say that, rather than act dumb as to why people aren't coming. The answer is obvious Wallet. People like to pay on the gate.

By Shifnalsaddler on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 06:21 pm: Edit

I phoned our club yesterday afternoon and told them they had made the wrong decision in making it all ticket. Anyone with half a brain could see the chaos coming.
Last night must have infuriated the fanatics, persuaded the "floaters" to never visit Bescot again, and I can tell you it totally bemused Salop fans who would love to have come but couldn't get tickets.
This season has been a total shambles and someone at the club should take responsibility (hahaha, good one, even if I do say so myself) and apologise then resign. Won't happen though.
Well run club, my arse.

By Beavis and Butthead on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 07:39 pm: Edit

heh heh did he just say floaters heh heh

yeah heh heh

heh heh

heh heh heh

By The Floaters on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 08:07 pm: Edit

Hi, my name is Larry, I'm Aquarius........
float, float on

By ashamblesfromstarttofinish (Unregistered Guest) on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 11:00 pm: Edit

What's the betting that when they re-open the terrace they make it all-ticket, scrap pay-on-the-gate and then wonder why no-one turns up???

By blue sq (Unregistered Guest) on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 12:02 am: Edit

6/4 on

By JPD (Unregistered Guest) on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 04:07 am: Edit

It would be funny if it wasn't so serious.
Its a financial disaster for us every time a person finds it 'too difficult' to go to a game.
It makes it harder to compete as we have to take lesser players and lesser everything else and relegation becomes a possibility.
Mistakes made here mean that what we get on the field suffers in the long run.
And then it compounds as less people turn up because what they see is rubbish.
This is arguably the most successful few years of the club's long and trauma filled history so we are getting something right.
Lets get this business right so we can go on to bigger and better things (actually, mid-table would be nice).
Please.

By gavin (Unregistered Guest) on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 09:03 am: Edit

I NEED A POO

By Dave Hawkes (Unregistered Guest) on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 09:44 am: Edit

You're right JPD. Say every fan paid just a tenner to get in, and we lose 1000 supporters a week, thats 10 grand down the drain. Over the course of the season it's about 50,000 we will lose, and as I said a few weeks ago, that sort of money was all it took to sign Darren Byfield.

Not only do we lose financial support, but how sad will the players feel when the new stand opens and the ground is only half full? Must be pretty shitty to play in front of no one.

The thing is, Wallet was so quick to say that we would sell all these season tickets and that you wouldn't see every match without one, and yet now it has been proved that what he said was shite, he isn't out there putting the record straight. He'd rather save face than admit that he was wrong and tell those that have fudge off that you can actually get into the Bescot these days without being a season ticket holder.

By Geordiesaddler on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 10:32 am: Edit

Latest crap on the Official Site describes Saddlers World as the only place to see the division 1 action, all the goals and controversial incidents - what about Sky sports?
How do they get away with this garbage?
As for the ticket farce, I've said before it's the confusion that P1sses people off. Take the Ipswich game, first it was "you need a season ticket", then with a week to go it was "there's 2000 tickets left but none for sale on the day", then the Thursday before, it was "tickets on sale on the day, but no cash turnstiles". Add to that the A game B game nonsense and you've got chaos. the club assumes that everyone is glued to the media awaiting the next u-turn, but people arn't, hence you get people turning up at games not knowing what to do, or not turning up to games they would have liked to have gone to when the ground is in fact half empty. I would love to know what they base their ticket policy on.

In my humble opinion the club have done some things well, the Banks's family stand being the main success, but they have got many more things wrong. I predict that the next dropped bolloc will be the opening of the new stand, whereupon they will make all ar part of the upper tier the family stand, and put extra away fans in the Banks's, they should be looking to fill the Banks's with families (promotional tickets through schools if necessary), and put extra away fans in the HLF, which is never full.
The GA should be a traditional home end, and those that purchased season-tickets should be allowed to choose a seat in the upper tier if they want one. As for prices, scrap the a and b crap, the adult price to sit should be £16 ie. WS, HLF - Banks's should stay how it is, GA. should be a tenner to stand and £12 to sit upper tier (the argument about charging more for away fans wouldn't apply because you are comparing upper tier in the GA with Lower in the WS - hence not like with like).
The upshot of the above would be, families incentivised to go in the Banks's, People who want an along the side view can get one at a reasonable price in the HLF, traditional behind the goal support and "floaters", incentivised to go in the new stand - hence hopefully a decent atmosphere. Also we make the maximum possible out of away fans without ripping them off, and we can market ourselves as the cheapest division one club in the area - if not the league (using our terrace price as a marketing tool). Then let Wallett and his department get on with the job of maximising attendances. At the moment they couldn't even print a poster for the club shop on the Monday for a match the following Saturday, because by the time it got printed the ticket arrangements would have changed, time to end this farce.

By Stu on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 10:39 am: Edit

Its ever so tempting to copy that e-mail and send it to Whalley to see what his response would be!

I'd love to move into the Upper Tier when it opens, as long as its not a family stand, but we're not allowed to!

Thus, the only people who will go in the Upper Tier are those without season tickets and floating fans. WS ST holders will go and stand and I have to stay where I am next to the away fans in the Banks.

By cat3 on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 10:50 am: Edit

No Contest, easy victory... Let's keep it up!!!

By SRN (Unregistered Guest) on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 11:50 am: Edit

I was sat behind some of the lads involved with the fanzine on Tuesday and earwigged a bit of their conversation. They were mentioning a big piece they were planning on attendances for this Saturday. I thought I heard something about a big campaign on getting the crowds up. Didnt hear it all properly but it sounded very exciting.

I know they suggested something to the club last year as well. I read the proposals in the community on the fanzine website, they seemed top notch to me. Although the club didnt take anything of it up.

By Warsaw Pact (Unregistered Guest) on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 01:29 pm: Edit

It appears from the statement on the Official Site, that they are unable to issue tickets for specific seats at the turnstiles. Given that some people buy their tickets for specific seats in advance (eg seasonticket holders), how are pay-on-the-day supporters in the WS stand dealt with on other matchdays?

This is a culture shock for supporters who are used to rolling up 15 minutes before kickoff, paying to get into a terrace. The idea of buying your seat ticket at the office, and taking it to the turnstile to get in is hardly restricted to Walsall - lots of clubs do it.

All-seater stadia require a different mentality, and people are going to have to get used to that.

By Geordiesaddler on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 01:49 pm: Edit

As a supprter who travels regularly away, I can remember having to go to a ticket office once last season - at Forest.

Pardon me if I'm a bit thick but let me get this right. The reason you can't sell tickets on the turnstile is that advance ticket holders have a numbered seat in which they are entitled to sit. Well what about this as a revolutionary idea.
eg. WS stand holds 1900 people, you allow all the tickets to go on advance sale say with the name of the opposition on and numbers 1-1000 at the arcade, and 1001-1900 ar Bescot. Then on the day of the game you gather up the remaining tickets and put them on sale at cash turnstiles with a bloody big notice above the turnstile saying "spectators must sit in the seat allocated on the ticket" You then position stewards inside the ground to help people find their seats. Scenario being you hand over your cash at the trurnstile, are given a ticket with a number on, go and sit in seat which corresponds with said number - am I missing something?? Surely this is the same as if you queue up at the ticket office for a ticket??

By Stu on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 01:58 pm: Edit

A bit too logical for WFC!

By Chris Owen on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 02:07 pm: Edit

Seems logical enough to me Geordie. And if we are going to be more reliant on getting tickets from the office on the day, then please lets get more ticket windows and more staff on! These things are so simple really...

By Geordiesaddler on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 02:12 pm: Edit

Actually reading Whalley's article again, his veiled reference to the computer system is the key, although he doesn't go into any depth what so ever. If you ever buy a ticket at the Arcade or Bescot it comes out of a little machine which generates the tickets while you wait. Presumably, therefore there are only a couple of these machines. Are they incapable of printing out "remaining tickets" which havn't been sold in advance which could then physically be gathered up in number order to be sold on the turnstile. Sounds to me like the cost of all that wasted cardboard could be the limiting factor. As for him predictably blaming people for turning up late, as suggested many times before, why don't the club liase with the local PTE, so that people who work until 5.30 and then have a journey home, can at least have a few minutes to bolt some tea down their neck before having to battle through the traffic/cr@p public transport that operates after 6.30pm. Buses setting off from the far flung corners of the borough at say 7pm would enable most fans to get to the ground in a timely fashion - as was the case for years at Fellows park. Progress, who needs it.

By SheffieldSaddler on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 02:20 pm: Edit

Warsaw Pact - How about people who do not live in the Walsall area? Phone up and pay a booking fee no doubt is the answer. Not sure if Walsall FC operate a booking fee as I have never purchased a ticket over the phone but most clubs do. And to be honest it bloody annoys me paying a booking fee.
Also, as suggested in GeordieSaddlers post you should be able to pay on the gate. For christ sake I and other supporters dont want to queue twice to get in a football ground! Is it because us British like to friggin queue? I dont and it also bloody annoys me.
Finally, Mr Wallets statement also has flaws in it. Why wasnt the kick off put back is the question I want the answer to? He openly admits people were getting into the ground late yet doesnt once mention about delaying the kick off. And yes Mr Wallet we would love to purchase tickets weeks and weeks in advance. I for one cannot do this as I have other things to worry about like work etc, thats why I never buy a season ticket.

By Tim Wilkes on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 03:13 pm: Edit

I have never been charged a booking fee by WFC Ticket office. The tickets have usually been sent to me promptly by post or, on the occasions where they have not arrived in time [due to Postman Plod being his usual crap self or me deciding too late in the week that I was going to attend] they have been available for collection at our or our opponents box office.

Without knowing what Box Office System the ticket office use it is difficult to pass comment but, unless it is based loosley around a book of raffle tickets, they should indeed be able to print off all the unsold, unallocated tickets.
The problem then is [he says with his Ticketmaster head on...and no, I don't work there anymore and no for the last time I cannot get you tickets for Bruce Springsteen]I would have thought simply one of which tickets go to which turnstyle / window/ shop and that of getting people to sit in their allocated seat. Not a problem for Shrewsbury on a Tuesday night, I would have thought.

By Unregistered Guest (Unregistered Guest) on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 04:04 pm: Edit

They charge you 50p more if you pay by Visa.

By Joe90 on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 04:21 pm: Edit

Or switch/delta.

By Dave Hawkes (Unregistered Guest) on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 05:16 pm: Edit

Well Mr Wallet I'd love to purchase tickets from the club shop. However, the last time I went down (before Forest game) the little ticket printer thing that Geordie was on about was bust. Maybe some decent staff and proper machines would help too!

By Neil Ravenscroft on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 09:04 pm: Edit

Perhaps people should be sending some of the more sensible solutions here to Mr Whalley. Make sure he doesn't grab the credit, though.

By Cannock (Unregistered Guest) on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 10:06 pm: Edit

I do not generally agree with Wallet on most issues and agree that the club PR is pants. However, having read his statement i cant really see anything that is wrong as long as he does actually sort out the fiasco as he stated he would. If he does eliminate the problems then great. If not then he is a total arse

By Cannock (Unregistered Guest) on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 10:07 pm: Edit

Why am i an unregistered guest when i have logged in as a registered user ?

By Fish on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 10:33 pm: Edit

The simplest thing to have done would have been for all seats in the WS to be unreserved (there were never any reserved standing places in the GA !). Deduct the number of WS season tickets from 1900 and sell the rest on the gate - got it Mr W ?? or is that not difficult enough ??? or is there some obscure local authority by-law that says that cash turnstiles can not be operated on days with a 'D' in them ???? or is this that yo am cleverer than we ?????

...another good way of p*ssing of the fans will indeed be to move the family stand upstairs. That will be neither safe nor sensible.

As for getting there early...not always possible particularly night games..and it will be interesting next tuesday when there will be congestion with Illuminations traffic for anyone coming from Rushall, B'hills and further out.

By the hooded claw (Unregistered Guest) on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 11:33 pm: Edit

You mean your gonna go to the game instead of the "loights".

Shame on you.

By JPD (Unregistered Guest) on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 03:23 am: Edit

A year or so ago me and the missus went to an upmarket coffee shop in an area which I was suprised could support such a shop.
It was basically empty apart from us and another couple of people and I said to the owner 'you're brave setting up a flash coffee shop in this area'.
He smiled and said 'don't worry - we're going to educate the people around here so that they come here'
We drove through the area a week or so ago. The shop was no longer there.
The moral of the tale (a true one) - I don't want to drive past Bescot and see tumbleweed blowing accross the carpark and graffitti and broken windows everywhere. Please read the postings and take up the ideas.
Neil - I don't care who claims the ideas as long as we maximise our potential.
Read the match day program which tells what percentage of capacity the attendance took up. When that is consistently above 90% they have done their jobs.
Summary: Doesn't mix well, must do better; C-.
By the way, I'm unregistered because I get so much junk mail I can't take any more.

By Ralph on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 09:28 am: Edit

Lets take a step back here.

There is annoyance because there was a problem with the queues prior to the game on Tuesday.

In all honesty this shouldn't be a problem because we should have sold all the tickets in advance!

Universal unreserved seating is not the answer unless we have a large area where everyone will be easily able to find a seat. You dont want a situation where family groups may be split up.

However a single predetermined block of seats can be left unreserved for sale on the day, as long as any season ticket holders seats are clearly marked. You could get your head stamped "leper" as you go in so you wouldnt mix with the other fans.

All turnstiles have a computer monitoring system noting the number of fans that have entered the gorund. A cash turnstile could be left open for that predesignated block of seats knowing exactly how many unreserved seats there were left and the gates shut when that number has been reached.

Then cue lots of fans saying, "I havent missed a game for years, i was caught in traffic, why dont they sell tickets in advance if people want to buy them? I've been everywhere since "Shiner" Shaw scored twice against Small Heath Alliance and I didnt recognise anyone who got in before me."

Personally, and I am amazed that I am saying this, I thought Whalleys statement was the most sensible and customer friendly to come out of the club for somewhile.

The fact that they will review systems is the all that anyone could ask for when normally the response is a rather impressive trick of burying their heads in the sand whilst there eyes are closed and have there fingers in their ears.

I feel that last Tuesdays situation will not be repeated this Tuesday. After all the benefits for buying Rotherham in advance are quite considerable. And not soon after that there will be cash turnstiles available for the terrace.

However we need to get our systems sorted out NOW ready for next year.

By Stu on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 10:16 am: Edit

I dont understand this mentality about not having "cash turnstiles" when we go all seater?

Why not? So far this season, Watford, Brighton, Sheff Utd & Watford (I couldnt get to Wolves) all have had cash turnstiles, despite being "all seater" for away fans. But I get a little ticket that tells me where I can sit, although this never holds any importance as we only take 300 fans to away matches.
Again, last season, I cant remember a game when I had to go and buy a ticket before the match before I could get in.

Is the reason for this that other clubs dont use this automated ticketing service? If so, why are we using it? Why does it provide us that the other clubs dont get? If its that useful, why aren't they all using it?

As said earlier, why not, at 6pm on a Friday evening when the Ticket Offices close, don't they print off all the tickets that aren't sold and then take them to the ground and distribute them amongst the appropriate turnstyles? Where is the problem in that? So what, if we waste some tickets. We wouldnt even need to print of ALL the spare tickets, just a selection. It isn't that difficult.

I cant understand this "no cash turnstyles" on all seater grounds mentality. I'm obviously just either (a) thinking too logically or (b) stupid. Its probably the latter.

By Neil Ravenscroft on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 10:30 am: Edit

The problem with Roy Whalley's statement is still that he doesn't explain why, at 7.05, he was on the radio encouraging fans to turn up on the night! Does he think that it wasn't going to work and, therefore, didn't need to put extra staff on at the ticket office?

By Stu on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 11:06 am: Edit

I think I must be stupid as I put down that we've played Watford away twice this season! D'oh

By Geordiesaddler on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 11:29 am: Edit

Fact is that we have a computer system and ticket office which have been around since we were in the lower divisions, when our average gate was about 3,500. Back in those days the only all ticket games were of the type where the ground was likely to be full and fans would be motivated into buying a ticket early for fear of not getting in. Whalley has tried (and failed) to recreate that "supply and demand" relationship during the period of the reduced capacity and it hasn't worked. 1) Because he got his sums wrong, the average home support last year was around 5,500 so with only 500 away fans there was never going to be any trouble getting in once the local derbies were all put back. 2) He's misread the mentality of supporters who are not season ticket holders. Using sixth form ecomomics will get you nowhere when it comes to football. Walsall arn't in competition with Wolves or Villa, we're in competition with the wife who wants to go down the town, the kids who want to go to Alton towers, the excellent coverage on Sky and local radio, the pub with a big screen showing matches at 12.00 etc. etc. The period of reduced capacity has hit those supporters in the pocket. That coupled with the messages sent out from the club about how difficult it would be to get in, and now the farcical scenes on Tuesday night are further de-motivating factors for the casual supporter. The reduced admission on Tuesday was nulified by said chaos, and the reduced admission for this weeks two games is too little too late.

Whalley has left himself with a lot to do even to get the 1000 regulars who have been chased away back in time for the new stand opening, never mind increasing support from last years figures. Sure some of them will come back once the terraces are reopened, but that is only until the end of the season. When we go all seater, the pricing and ticketing and match-day admin has got to be right. People after all only want to watch a football match, if Whalley can't deliver the mechanism for people to do this in a straightforward mannor then expect about 4,000 diehards in a ground of over 10,000 capacity. In my opinion Whalley has taken the lazy man's route by trying to cash in on the reduced capacity, the time has now come for him to start earning his money by coming up with innovations which become his gradiose job title. A good starting point is to remember that a satisfied customer is the best advert you can have. Give something back to the regular and loyal fans who have grown tired of this maladministration by making the new stand cheap and easy to use - ie. no fancy ticket schemes, restrictions, or press bleatings, just straightforward pricing, pay on the day, and allow GA season ticket holders in the seats.

By Warsaw Pact on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 01:08 pm: Edit

I think the opportunity is there not to issue season tickets for either the upper, or the lower tier in future, so you can get people in without having to take account of season ticket holders.

To be honest, all this carping about the club is starting to get on my nerves("Roy Whalley asked me to turn up 15 minutes early shock-horror-shouldn't-be-allowed")

It isn't scare tactics to suggest that people buy season tickets to be sure of getting in, with the reduced capacity. We can all take a guess at the attendance for future matches and act accordingly.

The fact that the Ipswich and Forest games were not close to capacity probably came as much as a surprise to the club as it did to me.

Yes, there were problems on Tuesday night, but hopefully the club, and supporters, will learn from it. (I dread to think what it would have been like with a capacity 11,500 gate!)

I don't much care for KRW's personality, but I do respect what has done and continues to do for our club. A trawl through other club's sites on Rivals shows where we could have been:
Grimsby - Proposed new ground postponed due to ITVDig collapse.
Rotherham - New stand delayed as above.
Swindon - Repayment of bank loans have to be made according to a strict schedule, or the club will fold.
Northampton - A collection on the carpark prior to match raised £600 towards trying to keep the club afloat.

Any of these could have been us.

There but for the grace of God...

By Geordiesaddler on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 01:30 pm: Edit

Not half as much as the club's carping gets on mine. I couln't care less about other club's problems, nor about Roy Whalley's personality. In fact on the odd occasion when I've dealt with him direct he has been very friendly and helpful. Why people use the fact that we are not on the verge of going bust as a reason why we should put up with things that arn't right is beyond me, would you put up with that from any other company for whom you are a customer? I'll pop down the pub tonight and get served a pint of gnat's P!ss by a barmaid who makes me queue up for an hour and then tells me if I want to get served I should finish work earlier, but it's ok because the brewery isn't going bust like the one down the road- man alive!

By God on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 01:34 pm: Edit

Don't bring me into it !

By Man Alive on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 01:35 pm: Edit

Or me !

By Lustful Saddler on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 01:39 pm: Edit

Is the barmaid good looking?

By Geordiesaddler on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 01:44 pm: Edit

Don't know about good looking, but if that twerp God had anyting to do with it I bet she'll be made of sugar and spice but end up tasting like a pickled herring.

By From WFC on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 02:00 pm: Edit

Stu, "we only take 300 away fans to matches". Give me one example please. Why do u persistently feel the need to downsize us?

By TG on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 02:12 pm: Edit

Geordie, the pickled herring is a basic economy model. As a sub didivision of God Inc we don't necessarily get access to the same materials sugar & spice etc.

However we pride ourselves on the breadth of our product range, the spacious family version or the more compact.

We are constantly adding new features. Chrome attachments are increasingly popular whereas the old coconut matting is seen as old hat.

If you are experiencing problems you may need to upgrade your present model. I'd always recommend a test ride first as well as checking previous owners. After that regular servicing should provide many hours of satisfation.

By Geordiesaddler on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 02:39 pm: Edit

Never mind chrome features, why don't you invent one with a tatoo that reads "insert baby for refund".

By Stu on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 03:32 pm: Edit

Since when have I constantly downsized us? I'm stating facts, the away game I havent been to is Wolves .

But, do you want examples for this season?

Try virtually every game bar the Wolves, and we'd expect to take 2000 there.

Sheff Utd - 300ish (very disappointing)
Brighton - 350ish
Watford - guessing at 400ish

But, before you say "Look in the programme coz that says blah blah blah", I don't buy one. Its crap and read in about 30 seconds.

Quite simple isnt it? And Im not constantly downsizing, its a simple fact. At the moment, our current hardcore fan base seems to be around 4500 turn up every game (league ones at least). Quite a few people have commented about our poor support away from home, not just me.

By Stu on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 03:34 pm: Edit

Maybe my judgements have been a little out, but both Geordie and SS made the same comment about Sheff Utd. We failed to sell our 500 tickets for Brighton and Watford looked like an improvement but that was coz I was at the back. A couple of mates in the Watford end (remember I live down that way) commented on small followign.

By Dave Hawkes on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 04:54 pm: Edit

Whalley's statement makes his stance over tickets look rather contradictory. One minute the guy is begging people to come down to the match (even up to an hour before kick off) and then the next minute he's telling everyone that they should have bought a ticket weeks ago just to cover the fact that the club didn't have enough windows open, didn't have machines working, all of which is their fault, not the fans! Do you want people's support or what?!

Away support has been poor but Watford and Brighton especially are long treks, and Sheffield United was during the summer holiday, when no doubt people were on holiday, had kids to take the the pictures, etc etc.

Anyway, I think our home support needs working on before we can get the away support up! The easiest way to improve gates would be to play good football, something we can't blame Whalley for...

http://www.thewalsallweb.cjb.com

By Warsaw Pact on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 05:01 pm: Edit

Stu,

I don't know where you get your programmes from, but the ones in the programme shop are red as soon as you buy them.

Sun May 08, 2005 3:44 pm

Leitao was great that day

Return to 2002-03 Season