Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Crystal Palace (a) - 1st May 2004

Reports and reaction from the 2003-04 season as Walsall finished 22nd (R) in Division 1
Andy
UTS Regular

Crystal Palace (a) - 1st May 2004

Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:29 pm

By SheffieldSaddler (172.188.14.211) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 05:20 pm: Edit

Well. What can you say. Did not listen to any of the match as I dont like to listen to a match on radio. Blinking penalty in the 88th minute!
At least we have a chance on the last day, even if we are relying on Sjoke to do us a favour. Considering the history between the Sjoke manger and Gillingham, he will be trying to send them down.
So come on Sjoke! I never expected it to go down to last match so its a bonus.
Mind you, have we forgotten how to score?

By Bristol Saddler (217.161.104.2) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 05:43 pm: Edit

Another fecking pen and even Walker saved it. Gutted! Sounds like Walker was great all game. At least it goes down to the wire, we just need to concentrate on beating Rotherham and then hope and pray for salvation elsewhere.

Lets just hope we don't feck it up against Rotherham, whilst the franchise and Stoke do us a favour, that would be intolerable!

KEEP THE FAITH! WE WILL STAY UP!
Just hope someone brings their scoring boots along.

By Latvian Chris Young (82.43.43.82) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 05:58 pm: Edit

I know its little consulation but this is from a Palace fan:

Sorry lads

You were raped today, feel gutted for you, even did after AJ tapped in rebound. You held the gameplan for so much of the game, simular to Wigan did at ours a few weeks ago. For what its worth I reckon Akinbiyi will do to the Gillpikies what he did to Br*ghton and grab a winner against them, I fancy you lot to sneak all three points vs. Rotherscum. One things for sure it was NEVER a pen but I think the ref was making up for ealier incidents.

Chin up anyway lads (and lasses), you played some good footie and its not over til Neil Emblem sings hey? And if you do go down please come back soon as your Balti pies are the greatest.

PS Simon Osbourns a cockhead!

Good Luck

Chris

By Denamrk Hill Saddler (195.92.198.72) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 06:55 pm: Edit

Just got back from the game. What can I say - am furious, dejected, lost for words. I'd rather have lost 5-0 than to lose to a diving cheat, and an inept refereeing decision in the 88th minute. He gave us nothing all game. When I saw him blow his whistle, I actually thought he was going to book Black for diving.

Yes, Palace on top today; yes, Walker on inspired form. But if you don't score when you're on top, you don't deserve the points. And Palace wouldn't have scored without that referee.

Plus points were the performance of Bradbury - immense - ran his socks off today, and won everything in the air. Mark Wright is still learning his trade, but he did enough to show what a good asset he will be - great cross in the 1st half which Wrack should have done better with. Impressed with Andrews and Osborn, and thought Emblem was very solid. As mentioned, Wacka was immense.

Fans were great - we outsang Palace for most of the game.

Thanks for your message Chris - good luck for the rest of the season. But as you say, it was never a pen today. And that's what counts.

By Latvian (82.43.43.82) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 07:09 pm: Edit

Agreed, thought he was gonna get booked diving. After seeing the incident on Sky Sports News - the fudge of a ref shouldve given an indirect free-kick for obstruction, not a pen.

By Moaning Saddler (217.43.246.52) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 07:54 pm: Edit

Just back.

Played really well today - the tactics were spot on - playing Wrack and Wright as wing-backs who effectively doubled up with Ziggy and Bazeley at left and right back at times. It made our defence look comfortable for most of the game. Obviously, it meant the attacking possibilities were limited, but it was much more pragmatic than the gung-ho attitude at Norwich.

Frankly, Palace piled on the pressure as expected, but were running out of ideas and belief when the incompetent ref was scammed by as blatant a piece of con-artistry as I suppose is par for the course in this part of London.

Was really impressed by the fight and endeavour today - Bradbury was excellent in his lone role. The only failure was Jorge, who showed yet again that when it comes to holding up the ball he hasn't got a clue.

Walker was exceptional.

We're still in it, and I for one am glad that Lee is totally out of it.
If we win next week but the Gills get a point, the irony could be that the goal scored in the last minute of Lee's last game ultimately sends us down.

By Slovaksaddler (62.7.146.188) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 08:05 pm: Edit

Thought the performance today was in many ways similar to us against West Ham. Deserved a draw. Haven't seen the penalty incident yet on tv but instinct said no penalty. Plenty of Palace fans on the train back seemed to agree.

Walker - Couple of outstanding saves stand out didn't have a chance with the rebound for the penalty - MOM

Bazeley - Looks better in a back five, covered well by Wright so didn't look as exposed

Ritchie - Assured, couple of key tackles but think he may be off given his throwing his shirt into the crowd at the end

Roper - Usual Roper performance keep it simple and defend

Emblen - Showed all the fight

Aranalde - Typical Aranalde a few mistakes but nothing crucial

Wrack - Showed he has been missed

Osborn - Pulled the strings in the middle

Andrews - Impressed in the middle of the park and made some key tackles

Wright - Made a mean cross on the stroke of half time and a shot just over in the 2nd half. Much more impressive than against Gillingham

Bradbury - Always battles, holds the ball up well and fought all alone up front

Subs: Leitao - More than able replacement for Bradbury

Taylor - Full of running, definitley one for next season

Fryatt - Came on too late to create an impression

Fans: Was at the game with four non-saddlers, they all commented on the noise and passion of the Saddlers. Hopefully Bescot will be as noisy next Sunday

It's not over yet, hold onto your hats next Sunday is going to be a rollercoaster.

By ken (194.6.9.129) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 08:32 pm: Edit

its all been said above , great battling performance , very similar to West Ham , although perhaps less likely to score

fans immense , those further back anyway , must have inspired the playerss.

we may have lost , but its not the decisive match , all we wanted this morning was to be still in it , and we are , and Coventry's scoring means theres even the outside chance of Gills getting a draw and us still doing it , we need a full house.

if that blatant dive had been the defining moment of our season i think i would have killed someone today , the guts and organisation of that performance deserved a point.

PROUD TO BE A SADDLER , and of all the players today.

WALKER GENUINELY SHOULD PLAY FOR ENGLAND

By cat3 (203.218.208.136) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 09:01 pm: Edit

Damn it! Always down the the stretch, okay, how we suppose to play next week against Rotherham? Suggestion pls... We can think and play like our first game of the season against West Brom, but who's going to replace Samway? The crucial moment finally comes. We can do it but we need somebody to play "decisively" in the middle like Vinny. Well, are we going down without a battle and not scoring a damn goal or we going to go like winners. This is it fellows, we still have a chance. 3 goals aren't too much to prove, so come on you guys, THINK!!! Think of a formation that can deliberately score goals like a machine. We got a bunch of healthy players and there's no seat of injuries, it's still not too late. Let's keep thinking now!!! Come on Sadders!!!! The ride has not stop yet, there can still be more to come! Yo baby, here we go!

By brianholmes (217.43.246.113) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 10:02 pm: Edit

just got back cant think of a bad player all tried thought we were going to get a draw but as last week ref had his moment of glory
so sorry for the lads and us fans still a chance for us if merse had been given the job sooner we would be safe keep the faith keep the magic man

By cheese bag (81.131.162.133) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 10:13 pm: Edit

Just got back via a visit to Pizza hut in Cannock.

Walker, great todat also worthy mentions for Bradbury and Emblen. Fans totally super. Burgers shockingly bad, big TV screen very good. Notice they didn't show a replay of the penalty incident!!!!!!

PS, why does everybody in Croyden think they are in So Solid Crew????

By Mr Doom (81.131.74.65) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 01:28 am: Edit

How many times have we scored 3 or more goals this season?
How many times have we won by 3 clear goals?
How many times have we won at home since Christmas?
We need a miracle!
The table doesn't lie.
We will finish where we deserve to finish!

By Moaning Saddler (217.44.83.150) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 01:46 am: Edit

Mr Doom

We have scored 3 or more goals TWICE this season - FACT!
We have won by 3 clear goals TWICE this season - FACT!
We have won ONCE at home since Christmas - FACT!
We are still in with a chance - ABSOLUTE FACT!
We could finish either 21st or 22nd on goal difference - FACT!
Colin Lee was the manager responsible for this ridiculous state of affairs - FACT!

By Sam Jones (195.92.168.177) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 06:45 am: Edit

What a donkey of a referee at palace, he tell's Paul Merson that the pen was given for obstruction.

An indirect free kick is given for obstruction, if the rule has been changed to a direct free kick then how come it only applies in the penalty area.
Well done lads on your performance at Selhurst park.

Pugh the referee what a joke from start to finish he gave us sod all.

He's a clown and deserves a mud pie in his mush, where do the FA get these idiots from.

By bournemouthsaddler (80.3.164.4) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 07:09 am: Edit

and my mate Durkin,he used to ref our Sunday games, has to retire because he is too old.Will be traveling to the midlands with my clayhead mates.I am sure they will do it for us,but I fear BUTLER.Said last week Palace would get pen.Diving cheats

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.168.171) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 09:56 am: Edit

Good job that penalty wasn't given against Derby. Goerge Burley and eveyone at Sky Sports would have been in uproar for at least six months over that one. Our penalty against them got yet another mention in their commentary last night. For God's sake since then we've lost 3 games 1-0 to a penalty, has it friggin' evened up yet??

By saddlerken (62.255.32.8) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 11:02 am: Edit

Besides, I can't see what they moan about.

IT WAS A PENALTY

They had 80% possession and never really looked like scoring.

They sound like dingles

Sky did them a huge favour yesterday with that kick off time.

bugger

By Shakespeare (217.137.166.44) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 03:16 pm: Edit

I despair of all these literary genii who end their statements with the word FACT. FACT!

And what's the difference between a fact and an absolute fact? Relativity?

By Webster (218.102.23.28) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 04:25 pm: Edit

5 plural usually GENIUSES a : a single strongly marked capacity or aptitude <had> b : extraordinary intellectual power especially as manifested in creative activity c : a person endowed with transcendent mental superiority; especially : a person with a very high intelligence quotient FACT

By Moaning Saddler (81.154.147.81) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 04:29 pm: Edit

Sorry Shakey - it was pure plagiarism - you will know all about that of course.

To make it look even more authentic, one FACT! is wrong. ABSOLUTE FACT!

By Delves Saddler (82.37.163.16) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 04:40 pm: Edit

A great day until 5pm. Nerves were frayed, tempers were fragile (a few in our group, including me, had a pap between them before and after the match) but spirit/optimism was high throughout, as it was when we found we still have a lifeline.

No amount of alcohol calmed my nerves, though, and it will be the same until Sunday. I fear for my liver between now and then and afterwards (whether it be a party or a wake).

Every player was immense (Roper in particular). Bradbury worked his socks off but I think he will need to be sacrificed for the pace of Fryatt and the hunger of Jorge (a Jorge winning goal to keep us up is fairytale stuff and could just happen).

Wright showed what he's made of and looked a real prospect.

Wracky showed what an important player he is to this club - determination and drive, simple/efficient use of the ball and a real influence.

Bazeley's best game for a long time, Osborne (who I'm not a fan of) was influential, Zigor played it simple (as was required) and Emblen and Ritchie stuck to their tasks well.

A big mention for Jimmy, should not go amiss. He was brilliant, absolute class and Merson comments in the paper today that he doesn't understand why Jimmy has never made the premiership - world class saves.

Finally, a big mention too for the fans - immense. Sang constantly throughout (my voice was hoarse) and never lost faith. Brilliant.

By Descartes (217.137.168.17) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 05:32 pm: Edit

Cogito, ergo sum. VERUM!

(Gratiae, Interfector)

By Bingo Caller (81.174.212.76) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 05:38 pm: Edit

What can I say that hasn't already been said? Felt absolutely gutted for Wacker – two or three fine saves and then the penalty save. Why wasn't anyone backing up?
But we were immense. If anything, we looked calmer in the second half and had a really good shape to our formation – everyone seemed to know exactly what their function was. The back three were terrific, the midfield did their job and Bradbury worked his socks off up front. And Jorge looked a genuine threat when he came on.
Just one slight criticism – we could have kept the ball a little bet better, but it's always difficult when you have one up front. Thought Wright had a decent game (although he looks a little lightweight at times) and Zigor had a torrid time against a very lively Routledge in the first half.
But all in all, an exceelent, well-drilled performance. Shame I couldn't say the same about the ref.
I'm confident for next week, but we have to find some goals from somewhere.

By Magic Man Fan (81.155.27.122) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 07:56 pm: Edit

Delves - Am I you? or Are you me?

I have just read your post and agree with every single word including the bit about fragile tempers within your group!

And I live in Delves as you know.

By Delves Saddler (82.37.163.16) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 09:02 pm: Edit

Maybe we are one and the same person, with a schizophrenic personality!!!

By Magic Man Fan (81.155.27.122) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 09:20 pm: Edit

I'll be the nutter side of that personality then. Unless you know me and were suggesting that already.

By mksadla (195.92.168.174) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 10:39 pm: Edit

Sorry if a defender stand's his ground that mean's a penalty . what rule's is the ref playing to . what a ••••••

By Me2 (195.92.168.164) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 11:02 pm: Edit

Merse for manager?

By mksadla (195.92.168.174) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 11:04 pm: Edit

Your avin a laf

By Magic Man Fan (81.155.27.122) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 11:18 pm: Edit

Another text type twerp.

Explain your reasons then instead of just putting "your avin a laf". Did you enjoy Jane Lane school mk?

By mksadla (195.92.168.174) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 11:29 pm: Edit

Sorry M.M.F If a defender stand's his ground , and a attacker goe's down in the box that is not a penalty . In the ref's eye's it was . •••••

By Magic Man Fan (81.155.27.122) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 11:32 pm: Edit

I know, I never said it wasn't. Its an obstruction which should be awarded with an indirect free kick.

I was referring to your reasons for Merse not being manager.

By mksadla (195.92.168.174) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 11:38 pm: Edit

as I know where Jane Lane school is (Profit street) It's time you fudge off mmf

By mksadla (195.92.168.174) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 11:39 pm: Edit

Any time you want to make a problem about it

By Magic Man Fan (81.155.27.122) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 11:50 pm: Edit

Time you did mate. Bar Sport Sunday.

By Fish (217.42.220.167) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 11:59 pm: Edit

I was really proud of the lads yesterday. I thought that there were aspect of our game that were outstanding (a word that the Observer used this morning to describe Jimmy and his world class saves - at last he is getting the recognition that he deserves).

The back three were immense all game, Bradbury did so well on his own up front, I thought that Wright came into the game as it went on and set up Wrack with a suberb cross. Wracky should have scored and I reckon would have been there to tap it in had he had a few more matches under his belt.

In midfield, I agree that at times we tended to give the ball away too easily (Osborne needs to work on this part of his game), but all in all an outstanding performance which we can build on for next Sunday.

As for the Ref, I posted a message on Ratetheref.co.uk saying that in my view he was a 'homer' pure and simple. The number of times Bradbury was pushed or nudged in the back as he rose for the ball was unbelievable. The Ref didn't punish CP once.

Interesting also, towards the end of the first half, Emblen was having the shirt ripped of his back as he attempted to reach a corner - the Ref was perfectly positioned to see it - it was a penalty - but was never going to give us anything.

I think Merse will need to change things slightly for Saturday, particularly as we need to score - for me you can perm any two from Jorge / Bradbury /Fryatt up front, I think I would put Wrack back on the bench as he is not yet match fit.

By mksadla (195.92.168.174) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 12:04 am: Edit

I made no referance to Merson that was Me2

By Magic Man Fan (81.155.27.122) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 12:09 am: Edit

Fish, we can't afford to drop Wrack. He may have been a little bit rusty but thats to be expected after his absence but after another weeks training he should be a lot fitter.

He'd the only player we have that can be defending one minute then on a run which sets up an attack the next. We definitely need 2 up front though, Merse will know that anyway, he seems to have a good tactical knowledge and isn't afraid to make changes if needed.

By Magic Man Fan (81.155.27.122) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 12:12 am: Edit

I misunderstood then. I thought you were saying "your avin a laf" to Merse being manager.

Anyway like I say. now should be the time for sticking together and getting behind the team like we have in the last 3 games.

Quits?

By mksadla (195.92.168.174) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 12:20 am: Edit

I'M WITH THE VAST MAJORATIY OF SADDLER'S FAN'S. and alway's will be.

By mksadla (195.92.168.174) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 12:39 am: Edit

Have a problem with season ticket holder's .

By mksadla (195.92.168.174) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 12:53 pm: Edit

I owe Magic Man Fan an apology. After last night's drink fill outburst. I like many saddler's fan's are so frustrated a the position we find ourselve's in . At a time when we should stand together I'm shouting my mouth off at a fellow saddler. My sincere apologie's to Magic Man Fan.

By Delves Saddler (82.37.163.16) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 12:57 pm: Edit

I'm sure I would know you by sight, MMF, but otherwise I don't know you. I'll be the manic depressive side then, 'cos that's how I'll feel after sunday if we go down!!!

By pete (218.102.23.28) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 03:16 pm: Edit

If this was a penalty, then I'm a Chinaman! (with apologies to cat3)

http://members.lycos .co.uk/irenemckay/03 04/palace.htm

By Magic Man Fan (81.155.27.122) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 05:23 pm: Edit

Thanks mk, I thought it was drink fuelled but it was fun arguing with you.

Delves you will know me when we meet for the next Saddlers night out. I think I will be able to make the one in June. We could get a taxi together.

By Bristol Saddler (217.161.104.2) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 07:49 pm: Edit

Didn't go to the game, saw the penalty several times on SKY, if thats a pen I'm a dingle, even the SKY boys and Kamara agreed!

By Derek Godwin (195.92.67.65) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 09:22 pm: Edit

Let`s treat the game on Sunday as we did when we went to Cardiff.I`m sure most of us thought we`d lose that day but it didn`t stop us enjoying the outing and in the event,of course,it was brilliant.If we had lost that day we would have been in the 2nd.division and it`s the same this time.
COME ON YOU REDS.

By Delves Saddler (82.37.163.16) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 08:03 pm: Edit

MMF - I usually start drinking at 5pm with UCOW (3pm if it's a bank holiday!!) before UTS nights out. Your welcome to join us and we can cab it back (if the Leamore or Ravenscroft Taxi firms are not in business).

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.173) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 10:17 pm: Edit

Delves, you've just summed up exactly why I won't be arranging a Saddlers Night Out on a Bank Holiday again.

Starting at 5pm is bad enough, but 3pm has too many undesirable consequences!

By Delves Saddler (194.73.163.108) on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 12:38 pm: Edit

Were we (myself and UCOW) undesirable last time, Geoff??!!

Return to 2003-04 Season