Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Derby (a) - League - 3rd April 2004

Reports and reaction from the 2003-04 season as Walsall finished 22nd (R) in Division 1
Andy
UTS Regular

Derby (a) - League - 3rd April 2004

Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:22 pm

By Giza (81.132.5.59) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 03:39 pm: Edit

Who is this muppet on the Derby BBC. Tlking about broken legs and allsorts. THough Kearns was bad!!!!

By Giza (81.132.5.59) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 03:42 pm: Edit

Another great comment was that Merson has lost it and can't play anymore!!!

By Walsall Supporter (82.37.192.189) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 03:54 pm: Edit

Burley beating Norwich 3-2 at half time is more of an ARRGH!

By Giza (81.132.5.59) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 04:45 pm: Edit

Cmon.

One Lee Bradbury theres only one Lee Bradbury!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See you muppet commentator and see you JUDAS!!!!

By Walsall Supporter (82.37.192.189) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 05:22 pm: Edit

Well done the lads, what a result, and I dont care if it has come via a penatly, every point counts now.

6 points from the Relegation zone, that's a nice comfort cushion for now.

By Steve Selby (195.93.34.9) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 05:31 pm: Edit

What a fantastic result today. Unfortunately i could not get there but watching sky soccer was a nightmare with the second half underway Burnley, Notts Forest winning, and Gillingham and Rotherham drawing, it looked very dodgy.
My early season bet with Stan James bookmakers of £500 at odds of 6/5 for Walsall to get 53 points or more is now looking good.
Thanks to the man that mentioned this potential bet last August.
Five points from six games looks good to me

By Paul's a Saddler (81.79.174.91) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 05:49 pm: Edit

Dearby BBC called Roper a Big oaf who should be a rugby prop.

Theres only one thing i want to say

1-0

By lee54 (82.37.178.242) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 07:57 pm: Edit

they could not get past roper today the guy was
fantastic well done lads & fans u all made me proud today
ps bye derby & junior division 2 here
you come

By kevin (195.93.34.9) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 09:08 pm: Edit

Absolutely brilliant result,and we're wupping the Windies as well.Su friggin perb.

(With apologies to the Blues)

Keep right on down the Wednesbury Road,
Keep right on to the end,
If the lights ain't stuck,
Then just thank your luck.
Keep right on to the end.

When you get to Moggers,
Still journey on,
till you come to your happy abode,
Then we can meet,
In the Bonser Suite
We'll be there,
at the ennnd of the bar.

By aldridge steve (82.37.153.52) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 09:15 pm: Edit

Firstly - Great atmosphere today, secondly - it wasn't as one sided as people are saying, yes they were the better team, but we also had some goos chances. We defended really well (Ropes & Emblem in particular) Andrews, Osborn & Burley were solid, Bradbury also had another good game (made up for the poor lob with the Pen.)

Funniest moment - after the game, a leary eyed Derby fan looking for trouble started running after Walsall fans - but pulled up with a hamstring (hillarious at the time)

We are staying up, We are staying up, We are staying up,

By cat3 (203.218.208.146) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 09:25 pm: Edit

Great stuff! Who said we can't win huh? What have we done sofar? Colin Lee used his magic again.. Awesome! We will win and strive for top 13th spot.. Come On Lads! Let's make history now! Go Go sads!!!

By Crouch End Saddler (195.93.34.9) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 09:37 pm: Edit

Just got back to sunny London Town what a day. Dont give a •••• about who thinks played better (them) or who deserved it (for support us) we deserved it cos we won, under pressure, 1 cowin 0 totally slaughtered now and can't think who was mom, praps me, c'mon yow Saddlers.
UP THE SADDLERS

By Garp (195.93.34.9) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 09:42 pm: Edit

Emblem was brilliant today worked his butt off to man mark pescisolido out of the game. On the downside I do wish Zigor would try and block the cross instead of just forcing the player out wide and allowing them to cross.What is this as well at last we see CL using up the clock with a substitution late on. Great 3 points

By happy (195.92.168.177) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 09:52 pm: Edit

Great result, yes they was probably the better team, yes their goal should have been allowed, maybe our penalty was dubious but who cares.
Sundays papers will read 1-0 to us and the league table will show us 6pts clear of them.
Life is good.................

By Surrey Saddler (195.93.34.9) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 10:01 pm: Edit

Great day today. 48 points now. 3 against Burnley and another 3 against Gills and all will be well. Rode our luck today but I guess we went to stop them scoring and we did just that and got one ourselves as well.

By rushallsaddler (81.152.15.236) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 10:09 pm: Edit

What a great following today must have been 2000+ would be my guess, we were packed in the top tier, pretty much full all the way across, understand we sounded loud on the radio well it was deafening at times being stuck right in the middle of it.

For a relegation six pointer I thought it wasn't too bad a game, we were still quite defensive minded, but we did create some chances and could easily have scored 2 or 3 but so could Derby, thought Bradbury had a half decent game apart from the sitter he missed, but he definitely made up for that, winning and converting that penalty, (couldn't have seen Birchy winning that penalty, would have given up on it easily), impressed with McSporrans brief outing again, hit the post, keeper beat all ends up created the chance all by himself. Osborne was very solid today, gave away possession at times as most did, but was strong in the tackle and all over the pitch, likewise Burley got through a lot of work with some timely tackles, Andrews wasn't up to his normal service today, Merse one or two flashes, Jorge worked hard but probably wasn't 100% fit, Bazeley did well for a change (surely needs replacing next season, Aranalde - dodgy 1st half, Costa gave him the runaroud ist half, but certainly improved 2nd half, Wakker, solid as usual, couple of his customary saves to keep a clean sheet, stars for me Emblen and Ropes, nout was gonna get past them today.
The abuse thrown at Junior was immense, every time he came down our end warming up, definitely worked in our favour today, cos when he eventually came on as sub he didn't do a great deal. Can't remember the last time Peschisolido didn't score against us, was even subbed, replaced by Judas.

All in all okay performance, Derby a little unlucky, bit of luck with our penalty, but hey we deserve some for a change, 3 points in the bag, results elsewhere not too bad, one more win needed.

By BrumSaddler (62.30.233.197) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 10:37 pm: Edit

The Walsall fans were superb today. The atmosphere was great, but it eas nail biting stuff as we soaked up the Derby pressure. They even threw their goalie forward for their 5 corners right at the end. And Junior's shot seemed a goal all the way -- til it was cleared off the line.
Virgin trains £6.40 pensioner return was excellent. Things went downhill a bit when I found BBC Derby at the other end. Their idea of match build up was to do a piece on how Derby escaped Administration! Then the match itself. Superb and pretty full stadiun (club only £34 million in debt). Excellent atmosphere with plenty from the Saddlers fans. But the football showed why both teams are where they are. Nothing Walsall tried came off, and they were lucky really to "grind out a result, if you like" as Colin Lee would say. Derby's forwards were poor. Walsall's ditto. Lee Bradbury's miss was 3rd division stuff, and the goalie almost saved his penalty. McSporren worked an excellent opening with us 1 up, and shot extremely well, only to see the ball come back off the post.
The take on the penalty on Radio Derby was that they were robbed by the ref., but BBC Derby did get Lee Bradbury on to talk about it. He said he was through when he was pushed down from behind, which figures why the ref would have seen it bur not the linesman, BBC Derby's take on the Junior incident after the match was that one of the Walsall coaching staff said something to Junior after the final whistle, and Junior tried to retaliate. Walker dived in between them and pushed Junior away. The best praise for Walsall was that the defence stopped Derby getting their shots in. Osborne was rock solid. Derby have not lost at home this year. The nicest touch at the ground was the big plasma screen in the exit area playing the highlights of the game as the Walsall fans went out. Did anyone see the penalty incident on that screen? I missed it.

By coxanddrummie (195.93.34.9) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 11:15 pm: Edit

I said in a previous post yesterday that something will happen today, i was right. I asked my father (God) if he would provide Walsall with a much needed win and he granted it.

I also asked him if he could make Junior miss a very important chance near the end. I take all the credit for today, although dad played his part even though he see's Colin Lee as son of sam.

Well done to all the fans today, you all played a great part too but just remember who it was that provided the smiling faces people, ME.

UP THE SADDLERS.

By Ben Greenfield (81.128.220.98) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 11:25 pm: Edit

Did not manage to go today. Sounded good on Saddlers World. Great to see Junior miss his big chance.
"Beni"

By Blobbyh (195.93.34.9) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 11:29 pm: Edit

Hey you nit-picking bunch of super analystssssss (is that a real word?) who gives a toss who the best team was today ...........
WE WON AND THEY DEY!!!!!!!!!
That is all I care about and all that matters in the world of this Saddler.....
So Dummie where are ya ????
What a great ground for Div2
Junior = Judas - I bet him and Pech will still be there next year NOT..........

What does this team/club/manager have to do to win over the doubters out there?
We aint going up and never were......
But we aint going down and definately most definately never were!!
We are Walsall and it has never been easy - whatever div we have been in -
it has always been so easy to support someone else - for Gods sake there are more Brummies in Aldridge than Saddlers -
But today yes most of all today when everyone was waiting - even our own so called supporters - for us to fail it was football heaven .......
We showed we can battle/ride our luck/and most of all WIN WIN WIN

By Manchester Saddler (80.5.160.4) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 11:33 pm: Edit

Unbelievable result today! Well done lads. I don't care if it was a controversial penalty which won it for us. We need something to balance the bad luck we've had this season.

Looking forward to Burnley at home (I have the rare opportunity to go so I'll be there!).

Please let's seal our stay in Division One with a win against the claret and blue mob!

Fantastic! Well done Colin and the boys.

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.67.69) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 11:35 pm: Edit

Great result today, great atmosphere, great day. If your commitments prevented you from being there then never mind. I had my mam and dad visiting me in the North East all the way from from Walsall, I gave them two V.I.P season tickets to Newcastle v. Everton that I was entitled to from work, they thoroughly enjoyed their day too, while I was at Derby. Amazing what you can do with give and take.

By Manchester Saddler (80.5.160.4) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 11:43 pm: Edit

Just read a post on a very gutted Derby message board (they think they are down by the way). Apparently Colin Lee said something to Junior after the final whistle which caused Junior to fly in a rage and lunge at CL. Is this true?

By Fish (81.132.150.234) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 12:28 am: Edit

Great result and atmosphere. Is that 11 points from the last 18 ?

Although I thought that we played better against Millwall, we are begining to look difficult to beat. Midfield looks and feels a lot better, although Andrews was not as effective today, I think he has made a big difference.

Praise too for Osborne, I've not been a big fan of his this season, especially in the last few months, but he had a really good game today, as did the outstanding Roper and Emblen.

I still think that we sometimes give the ball away too cheaply and that the forwards (or forward) find themselves isolated, but who cares ?

On the contoversial decisions, the ref got it spot on for the penalty - great work by Bradbury to wriggle himself clear into a scoring position -but it was a definite rugby tackle and a definite penalty.

As for their big shout, Derby have only themselves to blame, not for the first time Costa has flung himself to the floor trying to win a free kick or get people booked - had he not been writhing in agony, the Ref probably wouldn't have stopped the game.

Almost there, but still got it all to do, though. Apparently Burnley say they are bringing 3,000 next Saturday. Can we please get everyone down to Bescot to create the sort of noise that we did today.

By rushallsaddler (81.152.15.236) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 12:30 am: Edit

I have read that it was Mick Halsall that had a quite few words in Judas's ear, also spotted Aranalde chipping in with his two penneth.

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.166) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 01:04 am: Edit

I put this on another thread earlier - sorry to repeat but I don't want to type out the same stuff over again.

I don't think some of our fans are giving enough credit to the lads for today's performance. Just remember this was not all one-sided - OK they had more of the play but so what, they were the home side and have had some good performances/results there lately since Pesch arrived, so what should we expect - to dominate the game? I don't think so.

Wakker was not the only goalie playing well out there, their keeper also made a couple of tremendous saves today, not least the one early on from Merse's (??) first time volley which from where I was sitting looked a goal all the way. We also missed two sitters second-half - was the first one from Andrews or Bradbury when he lobbed their keeper but also sent the ball miles wide, and then I think it was Bradbury who totally missed his shot from 8 yards out from a great build-up. And of course McSporran almost made it 2-0 but unluckily hit the post and watched the ball rebound to safety.

We were certainly guilty of giving the ball away too much (no change there), and also of complacency at times when we should have been making ourselves first to the ball but allowed Derby to get to it, so Derby had more of the ball than we should have allowed them. But overall this was sweet revenge for Derby's ultra-lucky 1-0 at Bescot.

Touché as they say en France. Great result, and we're now in the pounds seats. Well done the lads, I'm gonna have a good night.

By reading saddler (81.6.221.249) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 03:09 am: Edit

thank god

By sj (195.93.34.9) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 07:49 am: Edit

Thanks for the effort Coxy and thank your Dad for me too.

It was really exciting stuff today the last 5mins. was bliss. On my way out I felt a little intimidated with the many angry Derby fans. When out of the corner of my eye I saw two proud(from my point of view reckless)supports with their Walsall shirts on they were:uncow and peterG. Well done boys but please be more carefull next time, I do worry about you.

By Neil Ravenscroft (82.37.190.132) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 08:56 am: Edit

By the way - saw the penalty on Sky Sports News - it was one (a rugby tackle) - it was a red card offence and there was no foul in the build up - less of the "dubious", please.

By Theo Logian (219.88.33.37) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 09:10 am: Edit

Coercing God? never thought you'd be a Jesuit, C&D....

By df (193.237.102.207) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 09:38 am: Edit

"The best team always wins, the rest is only gossip" Mr Shankley
Pesch was offside, to say he wasn't interfering with play 7 yards from goal is pathetic and how many times have we been called back when an advantage would have worked in our favour? I don't think we're overdrawn in the luck account this year.
Exactly how we escaped I'm not sure but in keeping a clean sheet you're only ever one chance away from the full 3 points. Roper & Nelly we fantastic although this shouldn't detract from an all round solid defensive display.
However good / poor / indifferent (delete as appropriate) we and Derby were yesterday the simple fact is that they couldn't put us away.
And that is why they're going down.

By Harrision (195.93.34.9) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 11:20 am: Edit

Its about time we had a ref on our side. Thought the fans where brilliant they player dug in. It was like the old days a smash and grab 1-0 away win.

As for Junior he go go a •••• of to Div 2 now ... One greedy bastatd as we sung yesterday

Did any one else see the White Walsall fans mini bus taking the •••• out off all the Derby fans

Junior going down !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By Harrision (195.93.34.9) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 11:20 am: Edit

sorry still pissed

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.175) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 11:44 am: Edit

Just saw the "extended"?? highlights on ITV, two incredible goal-line clearances, the first from Bazeley followed a great save by Wakker and was a real "Roy of the Rovers" effort with 2 Derby players closing in on him - Bazeley has been poor this season, but we owe him for that one - the other was I think by Osborne on our right post from Junior's assist - how sweet was that to deny Judas this time - and how priceless will it prove in the relegation shake-up?

Don't know what the fuss is about with the penalty. George Burley's moaning that the linesman signalled a free-kick to Derby, but did any of you see that? I never noticed it at the time, but we all saw the referee consult the linesman before confirming the penalty, so surely if the linesman had seen and flagged for an earlier offence by Bradbury, the Ref would not have gone ahead with his penalty decision and the red card for Johnson. Seeing it on TV, as far as I could see Bradbury did nothing wrong in trying to get on the ball ahead of the two Derby defenders, and Johnson got an arm around him to clearly pull him back and bring him down. Clear penalty, three points but equivalent to six in the circumstances.

Must just take exception (light-heartedly) with df before Neil R does. Neil R. is always going on about the poor spelling of "Emblen" that appears on this board, but df, your effort must be the most outrageous I've seen to date - "Nelly" - what d'ya reckon Neil R?

Bring on Burnley and more of the same effort and commitment that we've enjoyed these last few games. We must capitalise on yesterday's win and take three points at home - if we do that I think we'll be as good as safe with 5 games to go. Three weeks ago, I don't think any of us could have expected us to get into this position, just shows how quickly things can change in this game.

One final comment, good luck to the Baggies today, promotion now looks a near certainty and if they avoid defeat today it will be a big step nearer - but I just wonder how long this Albion/Wolves Premiership exchange will go on!

By Fraser and Grandpa (62.252.192.4) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 12:04 pm: Edit

Very poor football but still its 3 points for us.

Walker:Played brilliant,made a great save but what an idiot for almost getting himself sent off at the end.Why does he do it? 9 out of 10

Bazeley:Didn't play brilliantly but didn't have anyone down the right flank to help him.Cleared the last shot off the line. 7 out of 10

Aranalde:Played like normal.Did back off quite a bit though. 7 out of 10

Roper:Great defending and his header "made"the opportunity for the penalty! 8 out of 10

Emblen:Gave 100 percent.Won balls in the air and kept peschisolido quiet with his excellent defending. 9 out of 10.

Osborn:Had one of his best games in a long time.Tried hard and worked well.Had a great shot early on with a great save. 9 out of 10.

Merson:He made some great passes and did 1 or 2 things brilliantly but he gets caught in possesion too easily. 8 out of 10

Andrews:Not as good as he has been playing but still worked hard and stopped them from scoring an empty netter! 7 out of 10

Burley:Runs around but can't achieve what he wants to and dosen't look fully fit.Would rather see either Kris Taylor or Mark Wright given at least a chance from the start. 6 out of 10

Leitao:Why start him when he hasn't played in 3 weeks?He was obviously not fit and out of place on the left wing.6 out 10

Bradbury:His only shot in two games was the penalty.Made some good headers in the air but dosen't look like he can score.Shouldn't be starting if we need goals.7 out of 10.

McSporran:Looked very lively when he came on and also hit the post at the end.Why can't he play at the start with Matty Fryatt.We reckon this would be the best forward combination. 8 out of 10

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.164) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 12:51 pm: Edit

Considering what was at stake, I didn't think the football was all that poor. Don't think anyone expected a classic encounter anyway in the circumstances, so it's difficult to be over-critical.

What we got was a non-stop hard-fought totally committed battle and as a spectator it didn't disappoint me in any way whatsoever.

More of the same in the next six games and I'll be well happy to be honest.

By David Potter (67.64.185.54) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 05:05 pm: Edit

Great display of defending, yet again, by a team with more heart than I'd previously given them credit for.

I thought that Roper and Emblen were outstanding at the back. A tank wouldn't have got by them yesterday!

I don't think that Bradbury will score a lot of goals, but he will create some. Strong in the air, lays the ball off well and never gives up.
Jorge wasn't fit and can't play out wide. I would have liked to have seen Fyatt and McSporran play, their pace would have caused Derby more problems than we gave them.

I must also mention in dispatches the heroics of Bazeley and Osborn, clearances off the line that saved our bacon. IMO they haven't met expectations this season, but to give credit where it's due, Osborn did have his best game for quite some time.

One final thought. Have you noticed that there hasn't been one word of criticism or abuse directed towards Colin? Nobody calling for his head, questioning his tactics and motivation skills. It seems that the "booboys" don't have the courage to come on here and admit that they're wrong and give credit to the manager for the job he's been doing, especially over the last few weeks.

By Magic Man Fan (195.92.168.178) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 05:42 pm: Edit

He deserves credit for the last few weeks. But he's only done what the anti Lee people have been asking for for months. Play a bit more positively, play the kids a bit more and get a bit of pace up front and get a new number 2 to help turn things round. I was only anti Lee because of these things and now he seems to have woken up and realised his mistakes I will leave him alone.

Ultimately we will all be happy if we stay up but I think with the sqaud we had this season we shouldn't have been sweating over relegation this late in the season.

By Neil Ravenscroft (82.37.190.132) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 05:59 pm: Edit

To be fair, I think he knew all along, hence his loan signings including Vincent, Baird and O'Neil. Getting the right men was not easy. The lack of a number two for so long was, partially, a financial decision.

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.67.69) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 06:16 pm: Edit

So what would success be this season? To me anything better than last season is success, to achieve that we need 7 points from the last six games, very very do-able. Its not the last few weeks he deserves credit for its the last 2 years. And what's this fantastic squad we have had this season? The squad where Samways deserted us, Merson went awol for 6 weeks, the one where we had no partner for Jorge and so were forced to play players out of position or pick Birch for 3/4 of the season. The one where we didn't have goalkeeping cover and so had to employ Southend's reserve keeper, the one where we lost Ritchie due to finances. We went 10 games without a win when down to the bare bones, that's whet dragged us down to the bottom third of the league, and thst's why CL was asking for new recruits before Christmas. Good managers anticipate problems and try to do something about them, that's what he did but was thwarted by the finances. The rest of the time we have competed very well.

By Magic Man Fan (195.92.168.169) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 06:54 pm: Edit

Yes you're probably right there Neil. It could have all been so different if Junior had signed.

I agree with you also Geordie, I wasn't having a go for no reason like some do, I would see staying in the division in 21st place as a success, but I do see this season's squad as a better one that last season. We did go 10 games without a win but I don't think it was a coincidence that this is when we were playing very negatively (probably due to confidence). The thing that has got to me at times is that some of the games have been very terrible to watch due to defensive football. It doesn't matter whether you have eleven 16 year olds on the pitch they can still have a go and play positive football. The best form of defence is attack as they say.

By David Potter (67.64.185.54) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 07:03 pm: Edit

Well summed up, Geordie. that's our season in a nutshell, isn't it?

I think Colin's main strength is being able to overcome adversity. He's done that brilliantly since his arrival.
Can you imagine the crap that he has to put up with? I can't!
Good grief, he's had some fires to put out this season. Dealing with Samways, Merson, Carbon and now Ritchie. Financial cuts and more cuts, losing out on players and deperately trying to reinforce the squad with quality. Undeserved stick from a few ingnorant, and very fickle supporters.

If I were to choose a career, football management would the last on the list!

By Jorge14 (195.93.34.9) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 07:43 pm: Edit

I did Harrison! We were on the South Car Park, and were just pulling out to be met with a tirrade of abuse from some pissed Saddlers fans thinking we were Derby fans!!! Out came the last issue of the programme to be met with wild cheers from them all!

Was a "great" game...poor technically, but great atmosphere wise. Only 2 anti-dingle cahnts to which hardly anyone stood up...we got behind the lads, even when we were camping in their half, and we even got a "Colin Lee's Barmy Army" Chant!

Thought Walker was immense again, BBC Derby called Ropes "Tallismanic", I think that says it all.
Osborn was steady, just what we needed. Andrews was impressive and ready to battle.
Merson was good as well. He wasn't as involved as he might have wanted to be, but the job he had he did very well, and I think he's back to enjoying football.
Bradbury was strong, and should have scored before the penalty.

But then again...you all know that!

I was very impressed with the following. Sometimes going to away matches it can seem a little bit lonely, but we were ALL excellent yesterday...maybe that has something to do with the profound lack of spotty little boys in Burberry...

Oh...and Colin Lee deserves nothing but ALL out respect. He has kept the club up 3 years in a row without spending a penny...give the man a break...

If Bonser doesn't want to back him...then its Bonsor who has to go...not Lee...

COLIN LEE'S BARMY ARMY ARE STAYING UP AGAIN!!!

Oh, and a great touch to show the highlights in the concourse, and it proved to me that when Walsall fans are all united together, we are the best fans in the Midlands...

By Jorge14 (195.93.34.9) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 07:44 pm: Edit

Oh yes...I nearly forgot to mention about Junior...

...Just imagine me laughing...

By SheffieldSaddler (195.93.34.9) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 11:38 pm: Edit

CL comes up trumps again! The Saddlers come up trumps again! Well summed up Geordie. Couldnt give a f*ck how we played, 3 points is all that matters.
A 4th successive season in division one in our midst. But of course according to some people that is due to sheer luck, nothing to do with Colin Lee, nothing to do with Colin Lee, nothing to do with Colin Lee, nothing to do with Colin Lee...... Sheer luck.... Perhaps it would be a good idea to take a couple of saucepans to the next home match and when you hear "Dingle Lee" etc etc, place the saucepans on both sides of the w*nkers head and then hit the tw*t. God typing that made me feel so much better.

By Exile (203.167.253.205) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 11:44 pm: Edit

great result - should go a long way to securing our future in this division.

Still lots to do, but I'm sure the lads can manage to step up.

Cheers all,
Exile

By rico (213.123.130.59) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 05:51 pm: Edit

It looks more and more likely now that we will finish with our highest points tally and highest finish in div.1 (15th) then the manager who has achieved an improvement in points and places over three seasons will leave. says it all about the club!!

By Purple Pete (81.138.60.153) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 06:42 pm: Edit

I agree with everybody regarding it being a great result and almost from the start I thought the game had penalty written all over it.

I thought our defense deserved credit for not giving away a penalty because I thought they were looking for one at every opportunity. So much so that when I got home I looked at the stats in the programme and it appears that they have already scored 6 goals from penalties this season against our 1 (now 2).

So perhaps when the referee pulled play back when they might have scored and the run of luck on the day is justice.

What goes around comes around - as they say. We won, they lost, tough luck!

Return to 2003-04 Season