Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Millwall (h) - League - 27th March 2004

Reports and reaction from the 2003-04 season as Walsall finished 22nd (R) in Division 1
Andy
UTS Regular

Millwall (h) - League - 27th March 2004

Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:21 pm

By SheffieldSaddler (195.93.34.9) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 11:33 pm: Edit

Can I just point out, that on Saturday we are playing a team who are 5th from top in the 1st division, who are also through to the FA Cup semi finals.
Therefore, if we do happen to lose it will not mean that we will be suddenly on the way down to the second division. It will not mean CL or the players are totally sh*te.
It could actually mean we were beat by a better team.
Just thought I would get this in, before we have the usual over reaction on Saturday night at 4.55pm.

By aldridge steve (82.37.152.24) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 09:10 am: Edit

If we all get behind them from the off - and create an atmosphere (remember those?) we might stand a better chance. But I suppose as soon as the first pass goes astray the hecklers will be heard.

COME-ON - SHOUT POSITIVELY - DONT WHINGE

By Cal's a saddler (194.8.54.248) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 11:18 am: Edit

Its about time someone wiped the smirk of Wise's smug little face I just hope its us. But whatever happens I'm not gonna whinge we are saddlers fans come hell or high water. We have to take the good with the bad!!
Come on saddlers

By cat3 (218.102.125.160) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 11:24 am: Edit

Just kill them with a long ball, their keeper is poor. No worry. we got great legs and will certainly outrun them. They just played, hardly recover physically. We will beat them... Fryatt will get a his second goal. Merson scoring two more. 3-0 Walsall victory! Lee Bradbury also kicking in box. No problem, we will rule!!!

By Fish (81.133.24.42) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 02:47 pm: Edit

Well said Cat3. When we played them at the Den they were very beatable. I know that they have improved since then, but they are one of a large number of teams in this Divn. that look OK going forward but are very, very shaky at the back.

We have not gone for these teams, perhaps now with the extra pace and Fryatt's ability and movement, we can put things right.

OK it might seem that a hard game is in prospect, but just think what a tonic a victory will be.

10 points from 15 would be a great springboard for our visit to Losttheirpride Park.

PS I assume we are ALL going to Derby...it could be quite a momentus day.

By Magic Man Fan (213.1.45.10) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 09:03 pm: Edit

Wouldn't miss it for the world Fish.

By Phil_G (195.92.168.178) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 11:05 pm: Edit

Have I missed it?
I can't remember reading that the Yoof will be out in force on Saturday ready to go 'toe to toe' with the lads from Millwall.
I must have missed it. Yes, that's it, I must have missed it.

By Beni (81.128.217.61) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 06:16 pm: Edit

McSporran is rubbish. Gary Birch with pace. Should have stuck with Matty.

Good performance.

By Me2 (195.92.168.166) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 06:52 pm: Edit

Beni, give him a chance for gods sake! He's only been at the club for a few days, and he had one excellent break where he showed his pace.

By sedgers (62.31.220.120) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 07:07 pm: Edit

thought we played well today although second half we did sit back a bit to much,andrews is looking very impressive and roper seemed back to his best.bradbury looks a bit like jorge probably a little less skillfull and mcsporran had a bit of a mare apart from one run but give him time.only one moan,why does everyone looke to merson all the time cant they think for themselves!oh just one more moan bazezley's distribution makes roper look like beckham!all in all though millwall were there for the taking today and we didnt go for the kill which was a bit disappointing seeing as rotherham,forest and burnley all got wins.

By Walsall Supporter (82.37.192.189) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 07:21 pm: Edit

First half, we were the better team by a mile IMO. We had a lot of the ball midfield, we just seemed to struggle to get it into the box for a scoring chance.

I think we were lucky that a penatly wasn't given to Millwall, and i think a lot of the Ref's decisions went our way for a change.

Second half, a bit of the same old story, looked a lot of tired players out there, really thought we may of held on for the 3 points, but yet again, we are talking about Walsall who's record for conceeding in the last few minutes is legendary.

I am sure that we can build on the new found confidence in the team that showned through first half, and get the results we need to stay up.

Mcsporran, please get off his back, my god he was only on the pitch for 45 mins, give the lad a chance to settle into the team.

Good to hear more singing that normal too.

By cat3 (218.102.212.247) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 09:56 pm: Edit

Good performace! If we can hold on just a bitsy longer, we will have 3 points instead of just 1. We are a better side throughout the matchup. Merson is stunning! Let's bring on Derby, we will ruin their turf...

By Hairy_Saddlebags (172.190.116.185) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 12:06 am: Edit

I've seen their goal on skysports news tonight and it should deffo have been disallowed for a foul on Roper (who was fantastic today). Plus Dichio should have been booked for diving at least once. Millwall were a really nasty, mean-spirited, 'orrible side, but I spose with the boss-eyed midget in charge they couldn't be anything else.

Thought Lee should have taken Merson or Osborne off with ten mins to go and brought on some young legs (Taylor or Wright) cos both were knackered and weren't able to cover back.

Good to see some semblance of an atmosphere return to the Bescot today, and if we play as well next week, I can see us leaving Pride Park with all 3 points (apparantly Derby were ••••• up at Sunderland today)

By Reading saddler (82.133.116.147) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 02:26 am: Edit

i've always been a close follower of Mcsporran ever since Wycombe had that F.A cup run. He is a player with a fair bit of talent shinning through but is most probably very in consistent i predict he will be a good player for Walsall he always shows pasion and pride where ever he goes. Hard game for a debut Home to Millwall especially coming from the shall we say lower ends of division 2. Other than that i think walsall did well to get a point today dificult side Millwall. Our next few games are vital i think 4 points against Derby and Burnley should set us free.

By bournemouthsadler (80.3.164.4) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 07:34 am: Edit

Roper wasn't fouled, he was assaulted! Shame as otherwise the ref was quite good.

By aldridge steve (82.37.152.24) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 11:07 am: Edit

McSporran and Fryatt were undone by what is one of the best defences in the division. Give them a chance. I thought CL was right to change it at half time. Would have settled for a point before the game (having beaten Preston which I hadn't accounted for!). A point next week and I think were almost there.

By Neil Ravenscroft (82.37.184.186) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 11:44 am: Edit

Millwall are one of the most effective and dangerous teams in this Division on that performance, but I wish they played some decent football! They really are like watching a more skillful version of Chesterfield or the Wimbledon of old, with their main tactic to lump it in to the two big centre forwards. Shame really, as they do have some decent footballers when they are given a chance to play (Harris, Iffil, Cahill). That young left winger they brought on towards the end looks the part and I'm glad he didn't start.

Apart from that - we didn't try to "sit back and defend" as some morons ringing WM implied, as I think we were pushed back. (In fact, when they got one corner, we still had three men inside their half).

What it showed to be is how much Lee wanted a target man all season and what happens when you get one who camn hold the ball up and lay it off. Bradbury's was a superb debut and the space he created for Merson was wonderful, just a pity Merse's legs couldn't last. I don't care if he doesn't score this season, he brings the rest into play so well.

Roper was magnificent and Andrews and Burley quietly effective and we matched a team in the top six very well.

Only disappointments were Bazeley struggling (years caching up methinks), Fryatt showing he's not the saviour of mankind yet (found problems coping with the physical approach of their defence) and McSporran finding the level a big jump. Time for them both yet, though.

(What was up with 'Martin' on WM, by the way? Not only is he now calling himself 'Ralph', the normally sensible bloke said Lee's team selection was wrong, as he should have started with McSporran and Fryatt. Has he been on the funny fags?).

The other big disappointment was the ref failing to send of that great whinging prat Dichio, who, even after being booked for dissent, was still moaning all the way to the final whistle and took a couple of blatent dives as well.

By Neil Ravenscroft (82.37.184.186) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 11:45 am: Edit

Forgot to add - much better performance from the crowd, too! (What there was of it)

By coxanddrummie (195.93.34.9) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 11:54 am: Edit

Colin Lee may have been right in bringing Mcsporran on in the second half, he just took the wrong man off. Simon Osborn should have been replaced because he is useless. He did nothing throughout the game especially second half when he was just chasing shadows very slowly.

Walsall started the game quite well, they set the tempo right and looked to break down the opposiotion quickly. I thought Merson was on the ball and Andrews worked tirelessly throughout the game and took his goal superbly. Burley wasn't at the races to start with but got more effective as the game wore on.

Lee should have provided more width in the second half with Mcsporran in a wide position because the central midfield was to cramped with Osborn basically getting in the way. With Merson so on the ball he would have consistently found Mcsporran in wide areas and there would have been a constant outlet.

Colin Lee said after the game that he was satisfied with a point. Well to me when there is 3 minutes left on the clock no manager should be happy to let that slip. It was basic poor defending by the whole team. Time and time again when we take the lead we just go to pot and all defensive logic goes out the window.

I can understand teams trying to defend a lead but Walsall just do it 20 yards too deep. You have the defence basically camped inside thier own penalty area, midfield just in front and then a 50 yard gap to the strikers. So when the ball is cleared it's just pumped back in, it's totally counter productive.

When you defend you must try and do it as high up the pitch as you can, it's a simple defence stategy. It's not made easier though with people like Darren Bazeley who is just an appalling distributor of the ball as ive ever seen. Aranalde isn't much better. Them two should have been replaced months ago in my opinion.

Aldridge Steve you say a point next week and we are nearly there, i disagree. It's a good job you ain't manager with messages like that. I think we need to go to Derby and win the game. That then gives breathing space, a draw wouldn't help us in any way. All in all i think Walsall can survive but they must be more expressive at home. They should play with 2 wide players and open the game up because we simply don't create enough chances.

By Magic Man Fan (213.1.45.2) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 12:54 pm: Edit

Its a bit disappointing not to hold on but unlike some mutterings I heard on the way out I don't think we were as negative and defensive as we have been after scoring in recent months. So I've no complaints because we gave it a go which is all I wanted. Millwall are a good side on a fantastic run of form so a point is a good one even though 3 would have made next week very interesting.

The first half was great to watch apart from the lack of goals. What a joy to watch Merson where he should have been all season, deep and spraying balls right, left and centre. Bradbury impressed me, nothing special but the fact he can hold the ball up and brings other players into play means it takes pressure off the defence. Fryatt was again excellent and I was very disappointed he came off so early. I would have though because of Bradbury's lack off 1st team games Lee might have left it till half way through the second half and replaced him with Jocky.

The whole team played well apart from Bazeley's second half performance. Roper was immense! Can he teach Baze how to tackle instead of backing off people and allowing them to cross or waltz past him?

I was a bit disappointed that the midfield didn't impose themselves as much as in the first half, Osborn and Burley in paticular, but we were under a lot more pressure in their defence.

It would have been good to know that we could go to Derby next week and almost guarantee safety. I think we may need slightly more than 50. We should hope for a point at Derby and Gillingham (BUT GO FOR A WIN!) and beat Burnley and we'll be safe I think. Losing to any of them will make things tricky.

By Stu (195.92.67.70) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 01:42 pm: Edit

Dummie, Fryatt went off because he had "breathing difficulties" as said by Lee after the game, so stop whining about Osborn.

I'm not entirely sure what game those people were watching when they were going on about us sitting deep, I think people just like to use that as an excuse as we didn't sit deeper than any other side would have done.

I thought we played very well, performance was pleasing, football was good, atmosphere was good as well.

1 defeat in 5 sets up nicely for a crucial make or break run of 3 matches.

Bradbury looked very good, I'd like to see Jorge play off him though. Andrews looks a class act, the sort of player we really could do with, reminds me of O'Connor at times to be honest and he also appears to have goals in him.

McSporran looked nervous, had great pace but also looked like he wanted to play out wide. So often the diagonal balls to Bradbury were sent in, and instead of being inside him, McSporran was out on the flank. Hopefully he'll settle down and be a useful signing.

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.169) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 02:29 pm: Edit

I'd say a draw at Derby would be a satisfactory result. They've picked up quite a lot lately since signing (amongst others) Pesch and are no pushovers at home now. Pesch is quick and tricky and knows where the goal is and I'd love him to be playing for us. He's also a cheating diving little ba$tard, and manages to con referees and get away with it far too often - we'll no doubt suffer at his hands as usual at some time in the game.

Derby must be looking on this as a must-win game just as much as we are, nearly every game on home soil is vital in their/our situation. They have home advantage, they'll have a big crowd behind 'em, and they know three points will put them level with us. The score is vital, 3-0 and they'd only be one behind us on goal difference.

I'd love a win there and hope that we go for it, but I guess a professional mind will see this as a "must not lose" game. Pesch will be the key player in the game, we'll struggle to stop him for 90 minutes, if he's not scoring he's demanding so much attention that he opens up space and opportunities for other players.

I don't think we will stop Derby from scoring, so we have to get goals ourselves and I'd like to see CL resist the temptation to play an over-defensive formation and go instead for two up front with Merson in behind them and try to go at them from the start.

At 5pm next Saturday we need to still have those three points between us, I think that would be a job well done. A six point cushion would be just brilliant, but maintaining the three point gap IS a worthwhile aim, and that's why I can't agree with the view that "a draw wouldn't help us in any way".

As for yesterday, I thought a draw was a fair outcome overall, both sides worked hard and we looked a much improved outfit. Millwall look very strong at the back, hence Fryatt and McSporran getting little success against them. But I though we were lucky to survive those two strong penalty appeals in the space of a couple of minutes. Maybe that's why I can almost forgive the Ref for getting it so wrong when they scored - from the TV replay I'd say Iliff's shot probably found the only gap in our wall, from where Roper had just been literally demolished by a Millwall player. Similar thing to what happened in tbe last minute at Forest a few weeks back - two vital errors by the Referees, how much could we have done with those extra four points right now?

By Magic Man Fan (213.1.45.2) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 03:20 pm: Edit

Sorry, didn't know why Fryatt was taken off.

Agree with Geoff we musn't go and be defensive at Derby. If we play like we did yesterday with Merson roaming we will win and make Derby's situation look very poor.

Its also a confidence thing, if we win or draw it will boost our confidence and damage theirs and if we lose it will have the opposite effect which we can't afford going into games against Bunrley and Gillingham.

By boxman (195.93.34.9) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 04:49 pm: Edit

re fryatt anybody else hear the whisper that Blackburn have come in for him ?

By kevin (195.93.34.9) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 04:53 pm: Edit

Much as I dislike the little b*****d,I thought Wise was a class above yesterday.With the options we now have up front,much more optimistic.

By Magic Man Fan (213.1.45.2) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 05:05 pm: Edit

They can have him if they're prepared to pay the same fee as they did for Stead!

By David Potter (66.142.152.71) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 06:34 pm: Edit

We were much more positive yesterday.

Bradbury had an excellent debut, held the ball up superbly, Jorge is going to love playing alongside him.
As others have stated, Jocky was nervous (who can blame him?) and he needs time to adjust to first division life. It looks like his natural position is out on the wing as he kept drifting out wide on several occasions.

I thought Roper put in a monumental performance!
Only his distribution stops him from being a top notch player. He was certainly fouled when they equalized.
Andrews seems to be improving with each game. He took his goal superbly.

I was disappointed with two players. Bazeley and Osborn. As Neil so correctly pointed out, age is begining to catch up to Mr Bazeley. He really struggles against pace and would probably be better suited to the lower divisions.
Osborn has been off the boil for quite a while now. His passing is woeful and he gives the ball away far too often.

It was nice to see (and hear) the crowd making some noise yesterday. It certainly helps the team to play better.
What I don't understand is that we'd just come off an excellent result at PNE, Millwall are very decent opposition and less than 6500 show up! We get more than that for a mid week match.
It's always frustrated me that in a town the size of Walsall, it's football team is so poorly supported.

By Magic Man Fan (213.1.45.2) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 06:47 pm: Edit

Not recently we haven't David. The last few games have only been aroun 6500. The attendances were sustaining around the 7500 mark earlier in the season and we were looking to achieve the 8000 average target that bonser set, but the games during Jan, Feb and the start of this month were that boring and unentertaining that I can understand the not do loyal fans not wanting to come again.

By SheffieldSaddler (195.93.34.9) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 07:05 pm: Edit

I thought we were great yesterday. Played some decent football against a team in the play offs and in the semi final of the cup. A well deserved point, more performances like that and we will easily stay up.
Thought Andrews was brilliant, he is looking better and better each match, class player thats for certain. It was great to see the "ex dingle" haters clapping when he scored. How great it was to see them shut their big mouths for a few minutes.
Thought Bradbury was also great, especially in his first match. I agree with Stu, Jorge will make a good partner for him. Jorge as more of a strikers instinct than McSporran and would have been in for a lot more of Bradburys knock ons.
Roper and Emblen were great at the heart of the defence.
Osborn is the new player the fans to hate, thats for sure. He will never please some people, and never well.
Thought Merson and Burley also had a decent game with some excellent touches. More of the same next week please lads, but possibly the only difference, Jorge up front with Bradbury.
Oh, Walker once again should have dealt with the cross that led to the equaliser, although it was a clear foul on Roper.

By popperpancake (81.79.233.82) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 08:30 pm: Edit

I thought we did pretty well yesterday. Bradbury looked good, Fryatt was bullied out of it, Emblen and Roper particularly good. Andrews took the goal very very well too. He's a good player. It was always gonna be a tight game with both teams playing so narrow, altho they caused us problems when they played wider second half. Bazeley didn't have the best of games but he was left exposed several times as Burley wandered inside and Merson didn't have the legs to get back. Just a shame we couldn't hang on really. We must not lose next week. I'd be more than happy with a point. If we do lose then it will be too tight to bear.

By Bristol Fan (195.92.67.74) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 11:09 pm: Edit

For half a game (the first half!) I thought we were quite magnificent - it was like watching us at our best earlier in the season. Can't remember the last time Paul Merson played that well, Bradbury looked a class act, Andrews and Burley were bossing midfield, Roper was immense. It was an adventurous, attacking lineup and I don't think Millwall were expecting it. Second half we faded a bit, Burley became somewhat anonymous, Merson's passes started going astray, Bazeley was poor, but it was probably a case of the opposition starting to play a lot better than us playing worse.

I couldn't believe the calls to WM saying we sat back and tried to defend the lead. I was about ten yards from Colin Lee in the stand and he was screaming down his phone and Mick Halsall for the players to push up and run up the wings and, when that made no difference, he stood up and started screaming at the players himself, but unfortunately Millwall were probably that bit too good for us then.

It was a clear foul on Roper for their goal, but then again there was a clear foul by Emblen on Dichio (I think it was Dichio) earlier on, and Ifill looked a class act when he came on.

I thought it was an encouraging performance, and let's face it most of us would have settled for a point before the game.

Next week's huge. There are a couple of teams below us who have games in hand and obviously Derby would pull level if they beat us. I don't think 50 points will quite do it this season (purely because most teams have taken either 4 or 6 points of Wimbledon) so we probably still need another 8 or 9. 3 against Derby though, and all of a sudden there's quite a gap between us.

By ShropshireSaddler (195.92.168.175) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 08:34 am: Edit

Good point Popperpancake, although I thought Bazeley had a terrible 2nd half and it was very frustrating to watch him backing off and giving the opposition the chance to run at him, in hindsight you are correct - he had no cover on that side. Burley wasn;t getting back and Merson won't get back. So more than once, Bazeley had 2 men against him and couldn;t afford to jump into a challenge in case he left us totally exposed.
As much as I dislike Wrack, Bazeley always looks a better player when Wrack plays on the right with him because he knows Wrack will track back and defend when needed.

By Stuart lockley (193.130.87.45) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 02:10 pm: Edit

Might have been better to switch to 4-4-2 and put either Wright or Taylor on. This would have given Both full backs more cover.

Bazeley was obviously struggling with Ifill and desperately needed some help.

Good game and much better atmos though. Merson and Ropes were superb and I am really starting to like Andrews.

UTS

Return to 2003-04 Season