Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Preston (a) - League - 20th March 2004

Reports and reaction from the 2003-04 season as Walsall finished 22nd (R) in Division 1
Andy
UTS Regular

Preston (a) - League - 20th March 2004

Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:20 pm

By Geordiesaddler (193.195.190.230) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 12:54 pm: Edit

They have eight players out injured and the top scorer suspended. No excuses for anything other than a positive approach tomorrow. Looking at the remaining fixtures I can't see a better chance to kick start our season than this game against an out of form side who have little to play for. In the last couple of seasons this is the kind of game we have tended to get something from when we really needed it, Forest 2 years ago? Bradford and Gillingham away last year? Time for people in red shirts to stand up and be counted tomorrow, on the pitch and in the stands.

By merson10 (217.33.209.253) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 02:16 pm: Edit

Unfortunately one of those injured is Marlon Broomes. I would rather he was playing, he really is rubbish.

By BS (213.48.83.158) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 02:40 pm: Edit

I was noty sure whether I was going to go tomorrow but this morning I had a letter from walsall FC with Colin saying "Thank You for your support this season and I hope I can count on your support for the difficult weeks ahead", and then I thought the club needs me NOW more than ever so I'll see all you that can make it to Deepdale tomorrow. But with their poor run,injuries and suspensions it reminds me so much of Rotherham and Coventry this season, Fingers crossed the season starts NOW!
Come on you reddddddds!

By Neil Ravenscroft (62.172.127.2) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 03:34 pm: Edit

I'd agree about Broomes. Jorge gave him a real nightmare in the 3 - 3, if I remember rightly. In fact, Jorge was simply superb that night.

By Delves Saddler (194.73.163.108) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 04:39 pm: Edit

My thoughts exactly, Geordie and BS.

By hullsaddler (212.50.175.100) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 04:05 pm: Edit

80 seconds-Lets hope that's only the first of many Saddler's goals for matty Fryatt

By kevin (195.93.34.9) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 04:14 pm: Edit

Fryatt playing? Can only be five minutes left then.

By tonyobi (194.6.9.129) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 04:39 pm: Edit

one up , 89 minutes with backs against the walls to come, its agony. prayer mats out

gillingham 2 up derby 3 up.

By K J C (195.188.152.14) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 04:53 pm: Edit

half time 1 - 0 up... wish i was there but finances mean that i can't...

if the full time whistle went right now across the country the mighty saddlers would be in 16th place!!!

oh ye of little faith!!

COME ON YOU REDS!!!!

COLIN LEE's BARMY ARMY!!!!

By K J C (195.188.152.14) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 05:14 pm: Edit

1 - 1 (pen)

come on me babbies u can bounce back from this.... go for it lads!!!

By K J C (195.188.152.14) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 05:27 pm: Edit

2 - 1 up WOOO HOOO!!!!

Well done Wrighty.... didnt know u had it in ya!!!

UP THE SADDLERS!

By tonyobi (194.6.9.129) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 05:28 pm: Edit

2-1 us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By mr poo (80.195.139.10) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 05:51 pm: Edit

come on. 2 mins of injury time left

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By K J C (195.188.152.14) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 05:53 pm: Edit

YESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!

FULL TIME!!!!!

By mr poo (80.195.139.10) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 05:54 pm: Edit

COLIN LEE'S RED AND WHITE ARMY!!!!!

By Me2 (195.92.168.169) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 05:59 pm: Edit

Great result

Well done Colin and the team.

By K J C (195.188.152.14) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 06:01 pm: Edit

phew... got no finger nails left now!!!

16th place then.... Sjoke we have u in our sights!

By Me2 (195.92.168.169) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 06:02 pm: Edit

and the fans of course!

Up to 16th place, there are 8 teams in the mixer for that last relegation spot. Its going to be an interesting few weeks ahead.

By credit where its due (195.92.67.75) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 06:07 pm: Edit

will the anti-lee give any credit to lee for going with an attacking formation today with 2 up front and merson?

will they give him credit for this decisive match winning substituion. osborn, on as sub, first thing he does is create the attack that led to the 2nd goal?

or is it going to be put down as a lucky win?

c'mon saddlers.

By reading saddler (82.133.116.147) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 06:10 pm: Edit

And it's super walsall super walsall f.c
obviously the best the div 1 relegation battle has ever seeeeeeeen!!!

was jimmy's last save good 25 yard shot in the 90th minute...... come on y'all saddlers

By leedssaddla (62.252.224.11) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 06:12 pm: Edit

Thought the Saddlers World commentary was superb today.

Sounds like Colin changed tactics at 1-1 and it paid off.

Also, our luck appears to have changed with them hitting the bar twice in 2 mins towards the end!

well done lads.

By tonyobi (194.6.9.129) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 06:14 pm: Edit

you absolute beauty , cant wait for those who went to tell us more .

that is one MASSIVE win , credit duly given .

By coxanddrummie (195.93.34.9) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 06:15 pm: Edit

what a great result. Listened to the game and although we rode our luck the win was deserved through sheer hard work and commitment.

Great to see two young players get the goals and for once Lee made a good decision by reverting to 4-4-2. Hopefully he can keep this formation now for the forthcoming games.

Let this result give us the confidence to go on a run of games that will pull us away from the dreaded drop zone. A special word for Ian Roper tonight as he epitomized the fighting spirit needed from here on in.

Fryatt also seemed to give us that movement and pace needed to break teams down, he must now retain his place. Well done to each and every player today and credit must also go to Colin Lee for making the change when needed. I can't believe i just said that but anyway

Well done The Saddlers!!!!!

By tonyobi (194.6.9.129) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 06:17 pm: Edit

you absolute beauty , cant wait for those who went to tell us more .

that is one MASSIVE win , credit duly given .

By tonyobi (194.6.9.129) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 06:18 pm: Edit

Great post Cox , I always knew you were a Saddler mate!

By tonyobi (194.6.9.129) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 06:21 pm: Edit

Great post Cox , I always knew you were a Saddler mate!

By Manchester Saddler (80.5.160.4) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 06:22 pm: Edit

Fantastic! And we did the double over PNE (boy will I have fun on Monday at the expense of my Lilywhite mate)!

Well done Colin and the boys!

UP THE SADDLERS!!!!

By Surrey Saddler (195.93.34.9) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 06:41 pm: Edit

With Derby winning we HAD to win today. As already said, a MASSIVE win. And we need more. I have a feeling that 50 points is not going to be enough this season. The youngsters did us proud and surely Fryat will be an automatic start against Millwall. Jorge may be back then as well to give us more fighting power. Cat3, you were right all along. Come on you Saddlers- you can do it. And great stuff from Cl and PB as well. It seems the change to 4-4-2 really worked in the second half. Good commentary on Saddlers World. Must have been great to have been there.

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.171) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 06:43 pm: Edit

Brilliant result today, and other results have dragged plenty more teams into the shake-up. We now have a great chance of avoiding the drop.

Particular comments for C&D today, good post from you and, like Lee or not, that's definitely the sort of attitude we shall all need to adopt over the next 8 games.

COME ON YOU SADDLER-R-R-R-R-R-Z-Z-Z-Z-Z-Z-Z !!!!

By SheffieldSaddler (195.93.34.9) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 06:46 pm: Edit

FANTASTIC result. Once again proves, when the backs are against the wall, CL and Walsall FC come through with flying colours.
Doubters beware, you dont know what you are dealing with! I and many other pro Lee supporters are sitting very happy tonight.
An attacking formation, sub on that help sets up the 2nd goal! BEAUTIFUL.

By Dave, burntwood (81.106.183.186) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 06:49 pm: Edit

Like to add my congratulations. Great 3 pts. CL deserves credit today. I lost faith after the Watford game, now we must forget about sacking the manager & get behind the team Saturday.

By techno (81.77.34.113) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 06:50 pm: Edit

How many fans were there today. When the second goal went in you could clearly here them in the background. 3 more wins could and should do it i hope. Bring on milwall then prob one of our bigest game of the season DERBY, Lets take a few thousand up there again like last season and show the team what real suporters we can all be

Come on you SADDLERS !!!

By Sound_out (195.93.34.9) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 07:17 pm: Edit

What a result, a must win game and we won. I thought that when it went to 1-1 we would be struggling but all credit to CL and the team for a battling win. The tactics were spot-on today; starting with Fryatt and playing with a more attacking spirit. We must keep this going and Fryatt must be in the starting eleven. The lad has come of age and needs to be given his chance. He’ll be buzzing with confidence after this game and we need that winning mentality as it will boost the other players and fans alike.

Well done Walsall FC, you’ve made us all very proud today!!!

UP THE SADDLERS!!!

By Paul Lahiffe (195.92.194.12) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 07:24 pm: Edit

Just want to add my congratulations to the gaffer and the lads. Well done Saddlers! We'll have no problems staying up now, if we beat fellow strugglers Gills, Burnley, Rotherham and DERBY(can't wait for that one) we will be in Div 1 next season.

COME ON YOU RED MEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By Neil Ravenscroft (82.37.184.186) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 07:41 pm: Edit

It looks more and more that the three teams in trouble with Bradford and Wimbledon gone are Rotherham, Burnley (my tips for some time now) and Crewe (going down like a lift), along with Forest if they can't keep their loans more than a month. The Burnley game is the crucial one now.

By Bristol Fan (195.92.67.74) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 07:56 pm: Edit

Two assists for Merson - goals for two youngsters - fantastic! Like Surrey Saddler I have a nasty feeling 50 points won't be enough - but in any case, we've got enough in us to do it.

Maybe next Saturday is the perfect time to play Millwall as well..?

By tonyobi (194.6.9.129) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 08:10 pm: Edit

could just be a decent time to play Milwall before the semi .

think 2 wins 2 draws might do it- 50 points is definitely looking like its going to be short, but lets hope today really puts the confidence back in for what is a tough run in.

Lets hope Jorge , Samways and Wrack are all back in contention so we have a full squad available .

Up the Saddlers!

By Stu (195.92.67.77) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 08:23 pm: Edit

I don't know why 50 pts was mentioned as the magical figure anyway. Previous seasons would say its more likely to be 53 points anyway.

By Anti league Brigade. (195.93.34.9) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 08:31 pm: Edit

In reply to "Credit where credits due." Maybe Colin Lee's penny has finally dropped (youth, early subs etc).

By 50 (194.6.9.129) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 08:53 pm: Edit

48 points was enough last year i think

most managers talk about the magic 50 point mark
this year could be different

By ANother Saddler (81.135.31.174) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 09:03 pm: Edit

This year is bound to be different, purely because Wimbledon are so poor (so there are more points going around). Look at the Premier League last season, Sunderland were so poor that even though West Ham finished on a decent points total, they still dropped. I think 52/3 points should do it, but once we've played those crunch games around Easter time, we'll probably have more of an idea of what's happening. Wouldn't you just love it if Derby or Forest dropped! Please God, don't let us go down...

By cheese bag (81.131.65.186) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 09:10 pm: Edit

Back from a windswept Deepdale, good to see the dingles fans coming back on the M6, hard luck lads (ho, ho ,ho). Great start, a bit backs to wall until PNE sccored then all credit to the lads. Fryatt ran his balls off, closing down and Wright gave us options on the wing.

Played the last five minutes with nobody up front! They hit the crossbar twice, Heart Attack Stuff.

Nice to shup up that dozy Preston B'stard with the drum at the end!!!!

Up the Saddlers!!!!

By happy man (194.6.9.129) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 09:13 pm: Edit

cheese bag , (!)

who stood out ? man on of the match? did we fully deserve the points?

By saddlesore (217.137.148.120) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 09:23 pm: Edit

Was at Deepdale today,phew it was a tense affair.For once in a long time we had the rub of the green today with an half decent referee who spotted all the cruicial incidents, with exception of Cresswell swinging a leg at Roper after he had received a Ropes special that left him on the floor & of course Cresswell handling on their disallowed goal.We rode our luck with 3 PNE efforts hitting the woodwork Wright clearing one off the line & Wacka making a couple of good saves.The football played was remakably good given the wind conditions.
In short it was a good workman like performance with Matty Fryatt outstanding today given the long overdue start he deserved.Seemed to make things out of nothing like all good poachers do.Yes credit to Colin Lee for changing the formation round to 4-4-2.
Walker 7 competent safe hands as usual.

Ritchie 6 I don't even recall him getting booked

Carbon 7 Played well but looked tired.

Roper 7 Solid - no nonsense approach as usual!

Wright 7 Took the goal well & appears to be growing in confidence.Even took a couple of players on today.

Andrews 7 Industrious & solid

Merson 8 Chased back hard today & his cross that found Wright at the far peg was perfect.

Burley 6 A good steady debut & a yellow card.

Aranalde 6 A typical Ziggy performance-gave the ball away to easily for my liking.

Emblen 8 Busted a gut for the cause today.Chased & challenged for everything in sight.

Fryatt 9.Showed class today up against Davis who got man of the match for PNE.

Osborn 7 good busy cameo & was instantly involved in our 2nd goal.

Bazley 6 sound performnce & marked their winger in the blue boots well.

Taylor 6 not enough time to make an impact (Time wasting sub.

By cheese bag (213.122.92.119) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 10:11 pm: Edit

Can't argue with the above, Referee to be fair was not bad, Not swayed by diving in the box by their fat winger in the first half.

To be fair on balance I would say Draw but how many times this season has the rub of the green not gone our way? so I'll take the 3 points, THANK YOU!!!!

Fryatt M.O.M. for me, got a standing ovation when warming down on the touchline.

By SheffieldSaddler (195.93.34.9) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 10:13 pm: Edit

How did we play 4-4-2 with Carbon, Ritchie and Roper all playing? I would have thought it would be 3-5-2 especially with Merson playing as well.

By cheese bag (213.122.92.119) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 10:21 pm: Edit

Just a quick niggle, It would be great to "can" the atmosphere generated by our away support and bring it back to Bescot, It could be worth a few more points. ;)

By Jorge14 (195.93.34.9) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 10:28 pm: Edit

A superb, gutsy performance today.

Fans in general were superb (apart from the mindless abuse of Osborn by a VERY small minority before he'd either come on - so he went and shoved it up their arses with a great move for the goal!). We sung for 90 minutes, we didn't abuse the players...we didn't abuse Lee, which i feel is the most important part of the day.

Fryatt was AMAZING today.
Merson was MAJESTIC today.
Emblen was GRANITE today.
Roper was a ROCK today.

Infact...it was out best performances of the season, certainly our most imporant. And yes, I would put it above the Albion match...

Matt Fryatt showed maturity in his performance surpassing his age. If he is dropped, Lee deserves to be sacked.
Matty pulled the ball out wide, he scared the defender to death (who was strangely named as sponsors man of the match, despite looking like a cat on a hot tin roof all game). His rose like a salmon for his goal, and believe me, seeing him today, he can handle himself sufficiently in this division.

Walker - 8 - Safe hands...but a wayward kick in the second half would have been punished in Fuller was playing.

Ritchie - 7 - Didn't stand out, but reliable and steady. Just what we need, as usual.

Carbon - 7 - Brilliant again when you consider he's played 5 games since last season.

Roper - 9 - Outstanding. A rock. Composed. Never troubled. One of the best performances I've seen him put in.

Andrews - 7 - Great display. He is good on the ball, and looks forward. If Samways returns, he won't get back in. It'd be a huge slap in the face to drop Andrews now.

Burley - 8 - Gave us that bit of steel we needed. Good on the ball, knocked some lovely balls.

Merson - 9 - You wouldn't know he's been in a clinic for a month! Was somewhere near his best this afternoon, and if you didn't believe he was passionate about this football, you only needed to look at him at the final whistle. He loved it.

Aranalde - 7 - Steady-Eddie Zigor. Nuff sed.

Wright - 7 - Looked better once we went to 4-4-2. Still suspect defensibely. But scared the defence with pace. Nice header for the goal, and notably saved us with a goal line clerance in the first half.

Fryatt - 10 - Okay, 10 might be an overexageration, but he was fantastic today. Intelligent, brave, pacy. Just what we need/needed.

Subs:

Osborn - 7 - Stead performance. Great movement for the winner.

Bazeley - 6 - Added balance.

Taylor - 6 - No impact. Just to waste time.

By Exile (203.167.253.205) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 10:43 pm: Edit

Jorge14 - I see Emblen doesn't rate in your scores - was he that bad

Two words for today's result ' "bloody marvellous".

Big smile on my face today.

Cheers all,
Exile

By southern saddler (194.6.9.129) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 10:46 pm: Edit

great post jorge , sounds like another enjoyable away day like west ham was.. fans getting behind the team , the team battling , getting a good result

maybe we're turning into an away team as bescot is
hardly inspiring

hope !!

By cat3 (218.102.96.114) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 11:31 pm: Edit

Awesome showcase! That's the way to play... Victories mates!! That's the footies we all been waiting for. It's never too late to dazzle when blossom Spring is on the rise.

"Point your finger high up the sky, one by one, we shal take this ball pass your line!"

Geoff Whiting - Hope to meet you too someday, Premiership is not too far off; we still got time, our team is on the right track. We shall see...

Surrey Sad - Winning is everything mate! Alexander the Great once said: "Who's next?"

By David Potter (65.66.221.78) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 12:19 am: Edit

I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I had underestimated the heart and commitment of our team.

Well done lads. Well done Matty Fryatt and well done to all those fans who attended and gave it their all!
Now, if we could just generate that kind of enthusiasm at home, we'd have no problems.

I don't have to tell any of you how VITAL those three points were today.
Our last two away games have been against very tough sides, we came from those with 4 points and our heads held high after strong, battling performances.

Well done.

By PGtips (213.48.64.79) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 01:08 am: Edit

Fryatt really was exceptional. It was like we had Don Goodman back. He held the ball up perfectly, won the fouls, turned defenders all game long and of course scored the goal. Amazing that he is so young. We really do have a star here.

Didn't really notice Burley much. he seemed to be doing all of the tidying up work in midfield. Wright was much better as a winger. Text book header for the winner. Top cross from Merson to provide it. This is the sort of creativity we have lacked whilst he has been away.

Feeling much more confident tonight.

By Fish (81.133.54.36) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 01:38 am: Edit

I think that we had some players in there today that really wanted to achieve something.

I stopped behind in the North West after the game and it was interesting to hear their fans slagging the Nobbers off on their Radio Lancs phone-in. 'Walsall wanted it more than us,' was the comment from one caller.

It was a really good performance, yes we rode our luck but congratulations to CL for changing it early enough to make a difference (see - it didn't hurt did it Colin ?).

I too though that once Preston got back in to it they would probably go on to win. But the switch to 4-4-2 worked a treat and we really played some of our best football for months in the 10 or 15 minutes after our second goal.

I thought Wright, who looked vulnerable until the switch was a revelation when he was pushed upfield, scored one could have had another. The switch also helped Andrews who had played a little further upfield than in the week and hadn't, to that point, been as effective. Osborne made an immediate impression and had a hand in the winner winning the ball and linking up with Merse.

The central midfield of Burley, Osborne and Andrews (supported by Mers)looked very good to me.

Roper had a great game at the back and Zigor's newly formed fan club will be pleased with another good performance (he well and truly took the pee out of Alexander, I think it was, turning him inside out twice in one movement much too the delight of the faithful).

But perhaps Lee will look back a the peformance of Fryatt and ask himself if he should have been started in some of our previous games. His overall performance was outstanding and a great example to the more senior players. Fryatt has a great future ahead of him.

A couple of other things I noticed; According to the programme this was Lee's 112th game in charge, which makes it the longest that he has been in charge at any club.

Alexander scored his 8th of the season today...all penalties. The way that Cresswell dives in the area there's no surprise really. CHEAT.

Looking at a 'half full glass' we have gained 7 out of the last 12 points on offer. The corpse seems to be twitching, If we can keep it up that should give us around 56 points by the end of the season.

Fingers crossed !

By sj (195.93.34.9) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 09:21 am: Edit

Cat3 It was May West not Alexander the "Great" who said "who's next". I had a good nights sleep now with renewed hope for the sruggle to come.

By Neil Ravenscroft (82.37.184.186) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 12:01 pm: Edit

One comment (picking up on something mentiomned above). The last three away games have been a win at a mid table team, a draw and a narrow defeat at play off contenders. The last three home games? Don't ask (although I think the Ipswich performance was better than people made out). I know we have problems stepping up the pace at home, but doesn't this also suggest that the crowd aren't helping?

By coxanddrummie (195.93.34.9) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 01:33 pm: Edit

That could possibly be the case Neil but i don't believe that fans get on the players back from the very start of games and that is where the tempo is set.

The team have a great opportunity to get at the opposition from the off. They haven't done it at home for a number of games now and my belief is that if Lee went with a 4-4-2 formation with 2 wide players, that would then give them more opportunity to attack.

As he hasn't opted for that system for some time apart from yesterday in the second half to great effect, it does suggest the team would have more joy adopting it now because it gives midfield players more options and would provide an outlet in 2 wide players thus giving us that high tempo start in games.

By A Pedant (217.137.168.70) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 01:44 pm: Edit

Actually, sj, it was Mae West.

By ANoS (213.122.35.104) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 01:53 pm: Edit

Preston seem to have had more than their fair share of penalties this season. Surely we're due one before the end of the season!

Not suprised to see Wright doing well going forwards, saw him a reserve match last season and he was great at attacking, and he looked pretty handy in the pre-season game against Blues when he got forwards.

By saddlesore (217.137.148.87) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 02:22 pm: Edit

Answer to sheff.We started 3-5-2 then switched to 4-4-2 to stiffen up the back line with Zigor dropping back to left back & Bazley coming on for a tired looking Carbon, when Preston were pushing on.Which eventually dwindled to just Merson up front

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.67.69) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 02:51 pm: Edit

Fantastic performance, result, and support. A really enjoyable away trip. Fryatt probably just about man of the match, he has the real look of a goalscorer about him. Little mention for Zigor, thought he played really well yesterday. What we need to do now is transfer the positivity from the last two away games to Bescot, and we the fans are the key element in that respect. Great noise from what, say about 500 yesterday? And none of the bad crack there's been at some away games this season. Even one of the stewards commented what good support we'd given.

By BS (62.31.216.196) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 04:14 pm: Edit

Ive just finally got over my hangover on what as to be one of the best saturdays I have ever had! When I first heard the team, I thought defend,defend,defend BUT I guess i was wrong .
I am probably the worst person on here to slag Colin after we have lost (other than C&D) but ive got to give credit to the man after he made three changes and then if that wasnt enough he actually attacked away from home. It does hurt me to say it but WELL DONE COLIN!
There was one major barrier between Walsall and Preston yesterday and that was the... FANS. I sat near the back with all the singers and we never shut up, Preston were quiet and all you could here was us. The best song of the day was "Staying up with Colin Lee, were staying up with Colin Lee! You know the TRUE walsall fans that travel away will very rarely turn on the manager or players during a game, but "fans" that travel 5 minutes to an home game hurl as much abuse as possible! WELL DONE FELLOW FANS, WE WERE GREAT TODAY!
Now onto the players:-
The players gave 110% today and thats the reason I think the fans were so vocal more commitment like that and we will pull off the great escape with no worries.
I normally only rate one or two players but in my opinion Walker (made important saves),Wright (will always be a good wing back),Carbon (exceptional),Ritchie & Ropes (confortable). Andrews,Burley and Emblen (slow but always gave 110%). Merse (I hope theres more like this to come from the messiah) and Fryatt (I told you he should have come in alot earlier, what a prospect).
All the fans that could make it yesterday along with the fans that travel 5 minutes to a game need to raise the roof on saturday so the players can be proud.
What a weekend, well done Colin and the boys!!!.... and the Fans!
UPTHESADDLERS

By Magic Man Fan (213.1.45.10) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 06:01 pm: Edit

As C & D and BS have owned up to most of the people who dislike Colin Lee is down to team selection and tactics. He picked the right team yesterday with balance and youth included, played Merson in his best position and changed things when needed.

This is all we were asking for, which is why he will get credit for this win. He either listened to the fans or realised that if we're positive we can win any game.

I don't care what the reason was just make sure we keep it the same till the end of the season. Its a massive 3 points because the table would look dodgy without it! With Rotherham and Crewe losing it makes it all very interesting.

We must beat Burnley and make sure we don't lose to Derby and Gillingham and we should be ok. Its difficult to say if 50 will be enough, it usually is and should be this season bearing in mind everybody at the bottom has to play each other so points will be dropped.

COME ON YOU SADDLERS!!!

By Jorge14 (195.93.34.9) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 07:57 pm: Edit

No Exile...he was so good I didn't feel it was fair to give him a rating, as 1 to 10 just doesn't cover it!!!

We WILL stay up this season...we need 3 wins and a draw, that takes us to 52 points which is the generally accepted mark for safety this season. That is a win against Millwall, Burnley and Rotherham, and a draw against Derby or Gillingham. Anything else is a bonus. So long as we don't lose at home, we will be safe, although in an ideal world we will be safe long before the Rotherham game.

By Neil Ravenscroft (82.37.184.186) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 08:03 pm: Edit

Err, I hate to mention this Jorge14, but have you seen Millwall's result today? 4 - 1 and they could afford to miss two penalties!

By Jorge14 (195.93.34.9) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 08:09 pm: Edit

Neil, I wasn't saying we will beat them, all I was saying is that in an ideal world we won't lose at home this season...

Also, it was an East London derby match...whether Millwall will be as up for Walsall away as West Ham at home for the first time in the league since the heat of the early 90's is debatable...

By SheffieldSaddler (195.93.34.9) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 08:15 pm: Edit

Correct Neil. Why do people suddenly think we can beat Millwall? Level on points for the play offs, with games in hand over most teams in the play off positions. Added to that through to the semi finals of the cup. They are no just going to turn up with people being rested for the semi final are they?
I for one will be happy with a draw from this game. People really like to build us up for beating Millwall and when we dont we will be cr*p and sh*t and going down all over again.

By Neil Ravenscroft (82.37.184.186) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 08:20 pm: Edit

Jorge, Sheff's right there. The next thing you know, we lose to a superb Millwall side, or even scrape a draw and it'll be "sack the manager" again. I'd be happy with a point, to be fair, a win would be lovely, but I'm not going to start building us up to be something we are not. Undefeated at home the rest of the season is a laudable aim, though. I also agree completely with your comments elsewhere about Fryatt, by the way, and the comparisons with Rooney last season.

By Ian Gittins (81.133.72.68) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 08:27 pm: Edit

Absolutely. It was a fantastic result yesterday, and let's hope our in-house Jeremiahs - who, as ever, are absent from the board when we win - don't all return if we narrowly lose to Millwall next week.

By Jorge14 (195.93.34.9) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 08:27 pm: Edit

Thanks for your agreement re: Fryatt Neil.

However, personally I feel that Millwall ARE beatable...obviously, just my opinion, and their performance today makes my opinion look a little silly...but without belief, we would have rolled over yesterday and died. Why? Because Preston were on the verge of the play-off pack...

Sheff, Neil, you know that I support Colin Lee whole-heartedly, so I will not be chanting "Lee Out" on Saturday whether we win, lose 5-0 or draw.

Also Sheff, small point, but when you blatently referred to what I had to say about us beating Millwall, I'd rather be addressed as Jorge14, or James if you prefer to be more personal...rather than "people"...If i'm in a conversation, its nice to be addressed, like Neil did.
Again, small point, and you shouldn't take it as seriously as you take Cox and Dummie!!! ;-)

NOTE THE SMILIE!

By Jorge14 (195.93.34.9) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 08:31 pm: Edit

We're dealing with "Ifs and Buts" when it comes to next weeks match...

We should focus on the facts, we put in a great performance to beat Preston, Millwall put in an even better performance to beat West Ham...that makes us the underdogs for Saturday.

But think about what we've done as underdogs this season...we beat Preston HOME and AWAY...we beat Reading away...we beat Cardiff away...we beat Wigan at home...and we trounced Albion at home...

Sometime underdogs win...and as I said...Millwall may be on the verge of the play-offs, but is Walsall away as big psychologically as the Semi-Final of the FA Cup or an East London derby?

By Magic Man Fan (213.1.45.10) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 08:50 pm: Edit

Jorge, Millwall seem up for every game at the moment whether its their biggest derby game or us away. Have you seen Wise after every game? Running all over the pitch like a lunatic with a massive smile on his face.

Enthusiasm is infectious!

Interestingly did anyone see Burley's comments in the Sporting Star? He said "If you look at teams like Millwall theres not a lot of difference between them and Walsall. Its just that if you get on a good run you get the confidence going, the same as if you get on a bad run you lose confidence"

By Exile (203.167.253.205) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 09:23 pm: Edit

Thanks for reminding us about Wise - he is surely due his come-uppance in the return match?

Cheers all,
Exile

By Magic Man Fan (213.1.45.10) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 09:31 pm: Edit

Hopefully that grin will be wiped of his face! As long as its not by a Walker punch this time.

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.67.69) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 10:33 pm: Edit

What we need more than anything agin Millwall is to make it a really hostile, unwelcome distraction prior to their big game. They will be looking at a trip to Bescot as a "lets get the result against this cr@p and p!ss off home" scenario. Some serious noise at 2.59 and some tackles flying in at 3.01 might make it an afternoon they wern't quite expecting, for God's lets just give them a taste of what they've been doing to away teams for decades, its not hard.

By Neil Ravenscroft (82.37.184.186) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 10:38 pm: Edit

Precisely. It's just as much up to the crowd as the players to create a fortress

By Dave Roe (81.131.76.158) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 11:12 pm: Edit

Sounded like a great performance yesterday, attacking intentions, changes when needed and a side dish of self belief. That's all we've been asking for all season. We're a better side than we often give ourselves credit for. We definately look a lot stronger side when we're taking the game to the opposition.

Let's keep up with this positive style of play and the positive vibes from the terraces will soon return. Come on Colin, hold your nerve, you know it makes sense.

By RogerWhiting (81.131.244.160) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 02:21 am: Edit

Great result at Preston; congratulations to the lads, and to the management team for the changes before and during the game. Just what the doctor ordered, and with a couple of spoonfuls of lady luck thrown in as well!! All sounds too good to be true after recent weeks experiences!!

Well done Matty Fryatt & Mark Wright on scoring your first goals for the first team, and welcome back Paul Merson - we really do need you to carry on performing like that through to the end of the season.

With new signings Keith Andrews and Craig Burley also seemingly settling in well, that should really inprove everybody's confidence levels, including the fans, for the tough games ahead.

A good result in the local Derby (yuk - hate them)for Millwall, but they've got another on Wednesday (away at the hard tackling if rather talentless Dons, no less) so I reckon they should be quite knackered by next Saturday, and also not wanting to risk injury with the Sunderland Semi-Final coming up a week later.

When you think about it, it couldn't be a better time to be playing them. Well, that's what I think anyroad.

Cheers everybody on site - I suppose this week will go very slowly - I would like next Saturday to be here tomorrow - thinking about it - I would like every Saturday & Sunday to arrive tomorrow - then I wouldn't have to go to work in the week.

I dunno! here am I, still ever-so cheerful, on Mothering Sunday, having just returned from seeing my parents, and it's 1.20 a.m. and I really need to get some sleep.

It must have been a great footy weekend!!

By cat3 (203.218.208.123) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 02:22 am: Edit

No Sj, it's Alexander the Great! He conquered half of the world and die at age of 32... He battled with Jesus's cruxified left hand nail, representing power (could be right)... Too bad, he didn't get the other 3, otherwise, it will be end of the world. (Bleak Myth Indeed!)

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.166) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 02:58 am: Edit

1.20am Roger, that's nothing, I'm still here at nearly 2.00am, it's been a good weekend, the longer I stay up, the longer it'll be 'til it's over !

By kevin (195.93.34.9) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 03:54 am: Edit

Sj and cat3,I think you'll find it accredited to Townsend and co.

By Will (212.125.68.234) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 10:09 am: Edit

I can take the despair - It's the hope that kills you!!!

Just joking, brilliant result, shows what we can do when we're not ravaged by injuries & have a few commanding figures (Merse / Emblen) & a few pacy youngsters (Wright / Fryatt). Let's keep it going, cheer the lads on next Saturday and create a hostile welcome / brilliant atmosphere at the Milwall game.

By steelmass (194.81.215.15) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 02:46 pm: Edit

missed the game due to a commitment in london checked my phone could not belive it well this is football lets do the millwall muppets on sat

By Richard Hall (146.227.1.9) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 05:05 pm: Edit

Dave Roe, as ever you are so wise for one so young: "We're a better side than we often give ourselves credit for." Rock on. If only we backed ourselves more often, eh? Interesting that we did so on Saturday just as we did vs West Ham; more invention and more never-say-die defending of the last third, rather than the 18-yard box.

I see that CL stated about the Merse: "His mind is clear now, I had a long chat with him before the game. He is getting himself together... When he has got that sort of vision of play there is not a better player in this league. Teams really fear him." Come on Col, let's run with that thought! I'm looking forward to some pre-match comments talking-up the Merse, rather than Wise and Co..

As an aside, was it the Merse's demons that caused CL to play him out of his best position for so long this season?

Not sure that that final comment makes me a Jeremiah, Ian G, but one swallow doesn't make a summer, despite 7 points from 12. Whether I end-up a Cassandra is another matter entirely.

By Dave Roe (217.37.14.235) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 05:26 pm: Edit

Or was it being played out of position that caused his demons ? You know, when someone is unhappy the old habits can resurface.

Whatever way round things were let's concentrate on making sure he is the lynchpin of our new look attacking side.

By ANoS (213.122.199.4) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 06:41 pm: Edit

I think sometimes managers build-up the opposition so that if/when the team loses, they can say "I told you so" if you get what I'm saying. I mean, there have been one or two posts on this board and others saying we could beat Millwall. Obviously we could, but Millwall are a good, strong side, have some decent strikers and midfielders and are playing really well at the minute. I listened to Keegan's comments earlier about City's next game and he was doing the same as Lee has done. I'm not saying it's the right thing, personally I'd like to see Colin Lee have a bit more faith in the side he has assembled and his own abilities and get praising us, rather than the opposition.

By Fish (81.129.157.250) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 08:59 pm: Edit

I think that when we were within reach of the play-offs before Xmas we were in a slightly false position. Similarly I think that we are in a false position now and everything seems set for a decent run of results.

As for Millwall they're OK, but we can beat them. We certainly owe them one for the FA cup match that was won for them by the officials (one off-side goal; one clear foul saw them home). I guess that they may well under-estimate us, and as was said above, have one eye on the Semi final. 2-0 to the Saddlers.

We could be safe in three weeks time.

By Dave Roe (81.131.139.125) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 10:18 pm: Edit

We just need to take the game to them a bit. I don't mean all out attack and abandoning all defensive duties. What I mean is that if we find ourselves luckily enough to be in front we should look for a second, rather than the usual shut up shop and hope for the best.

By popperpancake (81.134.120.61) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 11:39 am: Edit

Am i being forgetful or have we not beaten Millwall for ages? Was it the year they beat us in the LDV semis (or whatever it was called then), the last time we beat them in the league? Colin Cramb if i remember correctly. 3/4 years of playing them twice a year. It's about time we beat them. I had a lovely day on saturday ... racing go-karts due to a stag weekend whilst receiving wonderful text messages of latest news from Deepdale.

By clown (80.43.212.47) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 11:53 am: Edit

Popper you're wrong - we beat them 3-0 at the Den in the League last season.

By machew (195.224.86.71) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 11:55 am: Edit

yes I agree 3 - 0 at the New Den. I think Zdrillic bagged a brace ...

By Welsh_Saddler (213.122.82.125) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 12:38 pm: Edit

I saw us beat them 7-1 at Fellows Park in (I think) 1959..... what wouldn't I give for a repeat of that!!!

Is Matt Fryatt the new Tony Richards???

By popperpancake (81.134.120.61) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 12:50 pm: Edit

How the hell did I forget that. Wrack with a beauty too. I have a very poor memory.

Return to 2003-04 Season