Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Crewe (h) - League - 7th February 2004

Reports and reaction from the 2003-04 season as Walsall finished 22nd (R) in Division 1
Andy
UTS Regular

Crewe (h) - League - 7th February 2004

Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:10 pm

By hullsaddler (213.249.172.181) on Saturday, February 07, 2004 - 05:56 pm: Edit

What a depressing last few minutes to listen to.Yet another goal down to comedy goalkeeping.Jimmy Walker I loved reading your book,but I would love to hear what you think about your responsibility for the last 3 games.

By scotty (81.77.164.70) on Saturday, February 07, 2004 - 07:17 pm: Edit

Why on earth play Birch in midfield when we had a prefectly adequate midfielder in Kris Taylor on the bench ??? Kris did enough last week to justify his place in the team this week. Wrack should have played in right midfield and Taylor on the left. I cannot understand why Colin Lee persists with this excuse of a player called Gary Birch. Today proved it all... all he can do is hold a ball up but even then he'll give it away more times than find one of our players. He may also have one or two good runs at the oposition defence but this tends to result in a weak shot or a pass to the other team. Kris Taylor would have been high on confidence from last week and would have, again, run hos socks off to impress the home crowd. Come on Colin Lee sort it out - even I'm begining to lose belief in you!!

By rushallsaddler (81.152.12.174) on Saturday, February 07, 2004 - 07:26 pm: Edit

Same old story, should have been at least 3 up by half time, Jorge should have had a hatrick, then we get the usual Colin Lee half time pep talk and we spend the whole of the second half encamped in our own half letting the oppostion have all the possession, you just knew the equaliser was coming, just surprised me it took so long, good job really cos an earlier equaliser and I think we would have lost at least 3-1.
Agree with you Hull, Wakker really has to shoulder some of the blame for the needless suspension, along with CL surely their was a better Goalkeeper out there than the clown we have had to put up with for the last three matches, he actually made a couple of half decent saves today, but I couldn't bear to watch every time Crewe swung a cross over, he was all over the place, and it was no surprise that their goal resulted from a cross, why did he leave his line when there was a ruck of players challenging for the ball.
Felt sorry for Kris Taylor after last week, he deserved to keep his place, thought Roper was poor again and didn't deserve to come straight back into the team, Birch was again crap as usual, even Samways passing wasn't up to his usual standard, but he did make one miraculous goal line clearance.
Oh well Forest next up so that's another team currently on a desperate run whose season will pick up dramatically after they beat us next week, wish I could be more optimistic but sadly I can't given our current inconsistent form and run of poor results.
Does anyone know why Merson was missing today, heard one rumour alledgedly from a club insider that he's back on the bottle, don't know how reliable the info is though.

By kevin (195.93.34.9) on Saturday, February 07, 2004 - 07:42 pm: Edit

Merse was ILL,according to CL. Must have bin a bad barrel.

By BS (62.31.217.25) on Saturday, February 07, 2004 - 08:00 pm: Edit

Dear oh Dear,
What another dismal performance in the second half. Birch IS NOT A MIDFIELDER! This kid needs to get dropped. Petterson made two good saves before a typical error. With 10 minutes left I saw CL pushing players back to defend, you can see why colin was a striker and not a defender. This is why our number 2 must BE a defender or else we will constantly conceed goals.
Petterson,Zigor,Bazeley,Osborn (who replaced a very unfortunate taylor) and Birch were all poor today. Leitao played his best game this season. If merse wasnt here then I would have played wracky right mid, samways & Osborn with Taylor on the left with Wales and Jorge up front. Colin got it wrong AGAIN today. He said in the paper on thursday "you cant be a true professional if you make excuses" Id love to know what one of his excuses he used today.
Forest have sacked Hart so they should beat us next week, we will be 4 points clear of them and they'll have a game in hand. We havent played well for at least two months.
RELEGATION IS A POSSIBILTIY.
sort it out lee.

By Jorge14 (195.93.34.9) on Saturday, February 07, 2004 - 08:37 pm: Edit

Absolutely agree BS, Relegation is a Possibility.

The latest news on Merson, an uncomfirmed rumour from no one involved with the club, but with links, says that Merson is back GAMBLING. Whether his head is messed up again is anybodies guess.

A loss next week (personally, I can't see it, if we play like we did at Sjoke, we will win) we are deep in the mire, and unless we get out of this comfort zone which we are all in, then we're in danger.

I thought Safe Hands Petterson was in line for Man of the Match before his clanger...just how bad is he? He made some really good saves, and would have almost single-handedly took us to victory, but how any goalkeeper can jutify rushing out 15 yards like that is beyond me.

Again, I must criticse Wacka. He is a legend, but ultimately, we have picked up just 1 point from a possible 9 in our last 3 games, and have completely fvcked up our goal difference. If this were in April, we would go down, no question about it, and if we go down, then Jimmy Walker will surely be one of the biggest culprits. Please, don't think I've suddenly turned on Wacka, he's the best keeper we've ever had, but his sending off is inexcusable.

Birch was poor. He made some good little darting runs, but even the girl who was sitting next to me, watching her first live football match it should be noted, couldn't believe how weak he was in the challenge.

I can see where the decision to play Osborn came from. As there was no Merson or Walker, you need a captain. Vinny wouldn't be given the captaincy out of principle, and if Osborn isn't played, it leaves a quiet man in Roper, or our long-serving players such as Jorge or even Zigor! What we lacked in the guile of Krissy Taylor, I think Colin would have hoped would have been made up in experience and leadership by Ozzie.

Zigor looked shakey again, Bazeley looked good going forward, but poor at the back.

It should be noted that Roper seemed to be man-marking Ashton, which mean that Roper was constantly being pulled out to the right by Ashton, meaning Baze had to slip into the centre, which could explain his seeming anonymity at the back.

Leitao seems to be back, with 4 in his last 5, but in all honestly, he should have got at least 2 goals today, and I still feel he isn't at the form which made him the most feared striker in Division Two.

Wales didn't impress me, and this is surely testament as to why Fryatt isn't playing! They are of similar stature, but even with his extra experience, it will take Wales time to get into the First Division game. For Fryatt, this could take the rest of the season, something I don't think we can afford.

Theoretically, we can get 6 or 7 more points this month, a win at Forest and against Watford, and a draw at Wigan. Let's hope it comes off, because if we only get another couple of points this month, I think the sh!t will hit the fan.

By Surrey Saddler (195.93.34.9) on Saturday, February 07, 2004 - 09:34 pm: Edit

Dismal listening on the net today. Poor Pettersen has lost us 5 points, i.e. 2 today and 3 last week at Stoke. But is it really fair to blame him? No. Real blame lies at the door of Jimmy Walker and Colin Lee. Why? Walker was captain at Millwall and when you are captain you have to show leadership. That means inspiring the team with a will to win attitude and not running half the length of the pitch on at least 2 occasions to argue with the ref and then take a swing at Dennis Wise. Colin Lee has persistently complained this season about the small squad size. And yet he has failed to instill the right sort of discipline on the pitch. The result has been that we have had player after player sent off since his arrival and yellow card after yellow card. The result- suspensions- and an even smaller squad size. So. Three points next week at Forest Mr Lee or may be a red card will be coming your way.

By BS (62.31.217.25) on Saturday, February 07, 2004 - 09:38 pm: Edit

We have won 1 game in 8, 3 in 13 its PATHETIC. Only forest and of course wimbledon have a worse form record than us. Thats what you get from supporting a man that promised us total football. People will use three years in division 1 as an excuse but its obvious if results dont pick up there might not be a fourth year.

By Cannock (62.31.218.111) on Saturday, February 07, 2004 - 09:41 pm: Edit

Most of the time you are quite reasonable. Unfortunately you are talking out of your pipe tonight Jorge.

By rushallsaddler (81.152.12.174) on Saturday, February 07, 2004 - 09:49 pm: Edit

I can't agree with Jorges prediction of us getting 7 more points from February, 3 max in my opinion but more than likely one against Watford is all I think we will get, cos Wigan will take us to the cleaners and there's a couple of reasons why Forest will beat us, firstly they've sacked Paul Hart tonite so will almost certainly have a new manager in place by next weekend...possibly Glen Hoddle and then we all know how poor our record is this season against teams on an appallingly bad run, we normally lose, then said team suddenly picks up form gets afew wins under their belt and eventually overtake us in the league.

By sedgleysaddler (80.225.103.43) on Saturday, February 07, 2004 - 09:57 pm: Edit

Birch MUST be dropped .

Lee MUST sort his half time talks out - if he'd said go at them , finish em off , I think we would . Personally I thought Leitao and Wales really worried them first half , and we got loads of crosses in. Second half a shambles , as soon as the initiative was surrendered in those first 5 mins after half time, that was it , backs to the wall. Those first 5 mins were crucial , but we were second to everything, and we never recovered.

Thought Wales looked promising , cant expect a polished performance considering his laack of match practise , but he looked to have a lot more about him than "Mr - lets look as if i might be able to do something here , but i'll dither and bugger it up again , cause I'm a little bit dozey- Birch".

Be more positive Lee , you are doing my head in.

By Stu (195.92.67.79) on Saturday, February 07, 2004 - 11:50 pm: Edit

I've given Lee the benefit of the doubt a lot of the time this season, but today even I can't stick up for him.

When I heard the team, I fully understood Taylor dropping out for Ossie (who was super today) and I presumed we'd be playing 3 up front.

But, to play Birch on the left wing when you've got two left sided players on the bench is just downright ridiculous. Birch isn't a winger, he doesn't think like a winger either. All his bad performance means is that the fans get on his back and his confidence gets demolished even further.

Would it really have been such a dangerous thing to do to stick Taylor on the left midfield?

I don't agree that he tells the team to go out and defend, I tend to think the team do that themselves at times because they are that desperate to hold on for the points.

Once again Pettersson gifted the points though. Those 3 superb saves he made mean absolutely nothing when he does something as stupid as he did for their equaliser. For a bloke who is 6 ft 3, he is awful in the air.

I can only hope that (a) Walkers return will make a big difference and (b) the Kieran Richardson rumour is true as we really do need some natural width.

By wednesfield saddler (82.37.9.77) on Saturday, February 07, 2004 - 11:52 pm: Edit

spot on sedgely , why he didnt sub birch instead of wales is beyond me

By Stu (195.92.67.79) on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 12:21 am: Edit

Wednesfield, Wales looked naked after about 65 minutes, he has hardly played any football this season... It was obvious that he had to come off.

By coxanddrummie (195.93.34.9) on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 01:11 am: Edit

Yet another pathetic performance and one that i expected when i heard toss pots team selection. Birch on the left wing!! the mind boggles.

I cannot draw one positive from this game, it was diabolical. Roper continues to dissapoint, for starters he looks at least a stone overweight. Can't criticise the keeper too much because he is useless and always has been. Manager to blame where he is concerned. If that's the best Lee can come up with then lets all take our boots and gloves.

Aranalde is the most inept defender in football and bazeley is no better. Samways hasn't got the legs for 45 minutes never mind 90 and the midfield in general are just a bunch of carthorses.

The new boy Wales gives his all, not a bad touch, good pace but lets not kid ourself people, the man is seriously lightweight and this is probably the reason he hasn't progressed in the game up in Scotland.

The tactics as ever are a complete joke to the point of comedy and picking up on a point that u made Stu " I don't agree that Lee tells the team to go out and defend. I tend to think the team do that at times because they are desperate to hold onto the points"

Well firstly the team should adopt to what the manager tells them therefore it is obvious that they are not listening. Secondly perhaps the reason why they are so negative is because of the complete lack of confidence that toss pot Lee fails to install.

Where do we go from here, well down obviously if this nit stays at the helm. He must go now to give a new man time to sort this mess out.

Oh and while we are talking of a new manager, i suggested weeks ago that Iain Dowie would be the perfect choice for the job as he was making noises at the time about leaving Oldham. He has since gone to Palace,working wonders,manager of the month. Thrashing teams like Sheff U away from home. All this with a team that looked dead and buried as no hopers before Dowie took charge.
IF ONLY!!!!

By dler (217.137.166.3) on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 01:42 am: Edit

Like many saddlers, I was excited (stunned even) when Merson signed for us. Sadly, he has proven to be a big disappointment. His motivation for joining us seems to be more to do with geography than football. He really does seem to be taking the p*ss.
Our current form is very much relegation material, and unless we turn things around quickly we will be in that dogfight once again (if we aren't already!).
I foolishly imagined (I've supported the boys for over 40 years so should know better) that we would be comfortable this year, but prima donnas and morons (Walker for example!!!) have conspired against us. I firmly believe that with a settled team we would have finished in the top half. But with stupid suspensions, and questionable attitudes from our two top paid players, we will be fortunate to be in this division next season. Thank goodness for Wimbledon!

By Neil Ravenscroft (82.37.184.130) on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 09:31 am: Edit

Just on the subject of Dowie, the change there came the moment Kember was sacked, not his arrival.

By lee54 (82.37.179.21) on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 09:54 am: Edit

thought patterson played well up until the bollock
at the end.jimmys back anyway
also we will not go down come on people lets get behind the team
i agree with every one with the second half
but how about the first half we should of been 3 up
please please every one keep the faith

By lee54 (82.37.179.21) on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 09:57 am: Edit

thought patterson played well up until the bollock
at the end.jimmys back anyway
also we will not go down come on people lets get behind the team
i agree with every one with the second half
but how about the first half we should of been 3 up
please please every one keep the faith

By Me2 (195.92.168.177) on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 10:23 am: Edit

Just one point.

A lot of people at the match were slating CL for getting everyone behind the ball and playing inside our own box. Not true.

He could CLEARLY be seen and heard urging the players forward, even just a minute or so before Crewe scored.

Its the players that are loosing us matches, not CL! To blame/sack CL would be disgraceful.

By ToeJoe Jnr (80.193.106.200) on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 12:43 pm: Edit

A manager is a manager for a reason, he makes the decisions and takes the glory and the fall with it. Colin Lee has done a lot for this club, but yesterday there were glaring downfalls to his ability as a manager. I can't remember seeing us dominate a team so much as we did in the 1st half. Bear in mind the 2 games I have missed this season are the Baggies and Forest game. 2nd half what a different story. You can see the changing rooms at half-time, Gradi with the Crewe team, realising that 1 down they are still in it, but need to change their approach. Colin, fair enough we have dominated so wouldn't change anything. Now 2nd half starts, Crewe have 1 disallowed, a couple cleared off the line, and are coming more into the game. We turn to Colin, does he adapt the team to combat this stlye of play? NO. Does he use any of his 3 Subs to change the fortune of the game? NO. He makes a forced change with Jorge and throws Emblem on with minutes to go. Crewe adapted, we didn't, simple.

By coxanddrummie (195.93.34.9) on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 01:46 pm: Edit

"Its the players that are loosing us matches, not CL! To blame/sack CL would be disgraceful."

Me2 you have to be a women or an infant to make comments like these

"Just on the subject of Dowie, the change there came the moment Kember was sacked, not his arrival"

Mr Neil Ravenscroft, i expect better from you. So the upturn in Palace's performances have nothing to do with Iain Dowie and the fact that he just got manager of the month does not reflect the influence of his leadership. HA HA

By Cocksuck Dummy (81.132.41.143) on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 02:13 pm: Edit

Me2 you have to be a women. Not that I have ever met any, of course. I hate Sundays. On my own all day, nobody to talk to. Maybe I'll phone up the speaking clock again...

By BS (62.31.216.77) on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 04:37 pm: Edit

Nobody really agrees with C&D but to a certain extent I agree with the Dowie situation. CL HAS done a good job to get this club where we are BUT now we need a new man that will get the best out of the players weve got and finally push us into safe mid-table instead of season after season we are stuck in a releation fight. I do believe Iain Dowie could have been the man. We didnt get him so NOW i believe there are not many good managers out there BUT come May if we are in those bottom 3 places a new manager WILL be needed.
I thank CL for bringing Merse,Samways,Corica,O'neil,Baird and Ritchie to the club BUT he hasnt got the best out of these players with an exception (Ritchie). The last 2 months have been so boring supporting walsall and so frustrating (just like the last few months of Ray's reign). I just hope, by may we are still in this division, CL can get rid of the crap, bring in good players and he can get a n0 2 that will get the best out of what weve got.
Nottingham Forest is next up. This is probably our BIGGEST game of the season so far. If we lose we are 4 points ahead and forest will have a game in hand, if we win we are 10 pts clear and then i think we would be 99% safe, thats why whatevers happened we must all go to the city ground and lift the roof off and give the team 100% backing.
KEEP THE FAITH.

By SheffieldSaddler (195.93.34.9) on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 05:32 pm: Edit

Well my thoughts. Petterson, Zigor, Bazeley, Birch were very sh*t. Roper, Wrack, Samways and Wales were sh*t. Jorge, Osborn and Ritchie were ok.
CLs tactics were a disgrace.
Birch as a left winger when Taylor was on bench.
Subs too late to win the game. Emblen on the 90th minute? Whats the f*cking use of this?
Matias instead of Taylor, sorry but Matias is a donkey. Provides a little width but thats it, when he gets the ball he is sh*t.
Once again 2 points thrown away by complete and utter negative tactics.

By wfc_2uk (213.48.86.205) on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 06:21 pm: Edit

Sheffield were you at the same game? Wales and Sawmays both played well yesterday. Osborn was •••••, He brought emblen on so we could pump balls in the air, its much quicker than passing it up the field you DONKEY. How the hell you can call pedro a donkey is beyond me, before he got injured pedro was probably playing the best divsion 1 football he has ever played for this club. Pedro is a legend and will always link up well with zigor. We've lost 10 points this season from CL'S negative tactics. A decent manager would have continued to attack while CL was easily seen waving his players even Wales back to defend for the last 10 mins. 10 fecking points that would have put us on 46 points, 3 from the play-offs. Colin you should be ashamed to have ever been a striker! You dont play the attacking football that should be played from a bloke that stood on the half way line for most of the game.

By the pop man (213.48.83.138) on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 06:28 pm: Edit

It must be the bloke who sits about 10 seats to your right at the back Sheff !!!

By David Potter (67.64.185.220) on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 06:52 pm: Edit

I begining to believe that CL has an agreement with all the first division managers: you soak up pressure in the first half and we'll do it in the second!

Once again, we failed to put a team away. Crewe gave us plenty of opportunity to do it, we didn't finish them off.
Why we defend too deep and invite our opponents to attack is beyond me. We're terrible at defending 1-0 leads and have been all season.
There has to be a reason for this. Colin is either telling them to play deep, or they're simply doing it on their own, or they're not capable of applying the instructions from the bench!

Merson's starting to annoy me with his AWOL tactics. Paul, you signed a contract, son. Honour it!
Petterson: P3 L2 D1 goals conceeded 10, points lost 5! What was he doing coming out for that cross? Mental dwarf!
Thankfully, we've only had to endure him for three games. Crewe have Clayton Ince all season long, what liability he is! He has to rank as the worst keeper in this division...by far!

Colin, why do you insist upon using players who are not good enough? The likes of Birch, Mathias and Aranalde have proved, time and time again, that they don't measure up. You can add Bazeley, Lawrence and Wrack to the list of players who need to be shown the door. Maybe I'm being a bit hard on Wrack, he is very versatile and gives his all, but he's a second division footballer.

I still think that we're going to be ok. Teams below us are losing aswell. At least four points from our next two games is vital, otherwise we will be in a fight for survival!

By Will (212.125.68.234) on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 07:08 pm: Edit

A few points, until now I've been supporting Colin, he's made a lot of good changes to the team, brought in quality of the like we have never seen before and has managed to work wonders in the transfer market with next to no money. BUT....He has no idea when it comes to tactics, he can't change the way the team play when the opposition have changed their tactics and are running us ragged. He is beginning to get as negative as Graydon..the second half yesterday was a disgrace. We should've been 3 up after the first half, Crewe looked shambolic and couldn't complete even the most basic passes. We didn't take our chances tho & went in 1-0 up. If I was Colin I would've given the players a real rollockin & told them to finish the game off, as everyone knew Gradi would shout at his players and get them fired up. Instead we came out trying to defend the 1-0 lead and invited pressure. Did colin change things round so that we could defend further up the field, perhaps play more midfielders and pacy Wales or Jorge upfront? No he did nothing. Now we're deep in relegation territory with a poor record, facing a team with a new manager who will surely beat us (Forest) and Watford who are also fighting for survival. Can you see the bunch of players we have digging in and working hard for each other? I can't. They're good players but they haven't got the same spirit as Walsall teams of the past. I get the impression some of them are just happy to pick up the pay cheque (Mr Merson / Samways / Bazeley, need I go on. Either Lee has to get an assistant who knows something about tactics and is prepared to rollock the players and get the best out of them or He'll be getting his coat in a few games time, I'd hope Jeff Bonser's had a quiet word after our recent form (it'd be even better if he shelled out for an assistant or a player or two though). It's all gone a bit sour Colin, shame I used to like you.

By wfc_2uk (213.48.86.205) on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 07:19 pm: Edit

Will i agree with you, can any of you honestly see any of our players apart from Ritchie and Wacca giving 110% when it comes to shove in a relegation battle?
I am fed up with these defenses of CL sayin the quality he's brought in was great. We could sign Henry and Rio but we'd still finish 17th in this league because whats the point in having 11 quality players if theyve got the Manager on the touchline telling them to pass the ball backwards and further backwards and defend when your 1-0 up.
I cant remember what team it was but they was in our position, so confortable with 15 games to o and ended up going down. Im a very worried saddler.
Ii hope JB did have a word with CL cus the man needs to see hes failing.

By Pelsall Saddler (195.92.168.171) on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 07:54 pm: Edit

I am dissapointed, but frankly not surprised to find us in a sitauation like this. I reckon we will probably get enough points to survive, butI am beginning to lose faith in Lee. How he failed to motivate them at half-time is a mystery. The game was there for the taking, but we somehow managed to spend the majority of the second half defending on the railway lines.

My biggest worry is about next season. If Lee is still here, and that's a big If at the moment, what type of squad is he going to be able to assemble?

I'll be surprised if Richie is still here, even more surprised if Merson stays for his second season, Samways will be gone.

That will leave us a squad comprising Walker (maybe),the hard working but frankly limited Jorge, journeymen pros like Bazeley, Emblen and Osborn, our likeable, but limited mushroom - picking Spaniards, and a central defense of Roper (do I really pay good money to watch this man?), and sick-note Carbon, oh and Super Striker Gary Birch.
Can anyone really see quality players wanting to come to Bescot for two and a half grand a week?

We are a small club with a small fan base that does not seem to grow, despite the fact that we are playing at our highest level ever. We pay probably the lowest wages in the division (due obviously to the limited income from attendances and the ••••-poor commercial side.) Our training facilities are a joke - a school playing field.
Let's face it, we are punching above our weight at this level, and despite all that we are told, I don't feel that the club has grown off the field since we were in Division 2.

Which is where we are heading in the next year or so, and I sincerely hope hope I am wrong about this.

Presume I'll be shot down in flames for this, but it's how I feel right now

By Me2 (195.92.168.167) on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 08:32 pm: Edit

Cox, I am not a women or an infant actually. I presume you were not actually at the game, as it was totally clear Lee was urging the players forward in the second half.

By wfc_2uk (213.48.86.205) on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 08:37 pm: Edit

Yeah me2 was you the kid on the front row of the family stand with a long stick and a labrador because unless Lee can push players forward by swaying his hands in the opposite direction to what we are playin and shouts to wales "move to right mid" and can still urge players forward. ITS ONE HELL OF A TRICK.
Ill try getting my dog to move forward by throwing the stick behind him.Great post me2.

By LarryHaggler (81.136.230.141) on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 08:56 pm: Edit

Totally disgusted yesterday, what a lack of passion, tactical awareness and no urgency. I actully think we were lucky in the end to get a draw.
What does CL say at half time ? I would love to see my team play for 90 minutes rather than 45.
Please JB get an assistant manager in who CAN motivate the players ala Dave Merrighton, because our manager clearly cannot.
Yesterdays performance was and is totally unacceptable and if it continues we will be relegated.
The buck stops with you CL - SORT IT OUT. Total Football ? what a joke. I also would not pay that man mascarading as a goal keeper.

By Dave Roe (81.135.6.207) on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 10:21 pm: Edit

Well, Me2, according to many of Colin's biggest fans he has been seen urging his teams forward all season. Strange then that virtually every home game results in our players retreating so far back they are nearly in with the away fans.

Looks like he has trouble getting his message across, doesn't it ? His tactics are often so shambolic that I wouldn't be surprised if half of the players are not totally confused with what the gaffer wants from them.

One nil up at home and leave one player up front ! What an absoulte joke !

By reduntilimdead (213.48.84.130) on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 10:35 pm: Edit

sorry if i say something someone else has said but when i read the first few line of cocks and bummers post i now am definate he isnt a saddler and was going of someone elses post.
BIRCH WAS ON THE RIGHT WING NOT THE LEFT A$$HOLE.
Again sorry if someone else pointed this out i didnt read any further than his pathetic post

By Dave Roe (81.135.6.207) on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 10:39 pm: Edit

Birch was playing ? I know he was on the pitch but was he playing ? I thought he was merely out for an afternoon stroll !

By james moore (213.48.84.240) on Monday, February 09, 2004 - 09:54 pm: Edit

i reckon that everyone should leave lee alone he's done nothing but good for the club he's brought in some top quality players and we shouldent be blaming him we should be looking at the muppets like petterson ten goals in three games i'm glad that we got walker back and we should realy see the difference in the next game and the rest

By Dave Roe (213.122.103.245) on Monday, February 09, 2004 - 10:02 pm: Edit

Who brought in "the muppet like Petterson" ? Actually I don't blame Lee for bringing him in, I blame the suits upstairs for not financing a decent replacement in the first place.

If, in the unlikely event, we get relegated this season then I hope that the powers that be will still think the little bit saved by hiring a Southend reject was worth it.

Let's hope that Walker can keep his fists to himself for the rest of the season.

Return to 2003-04 Season