Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Stoke (a) - League - 31st January 2004

Reports and reaction from the 2003-04 season as Walsall finished 22nd (R) in Division 1
Andy
UTS Regular

Stoke (a) - League - 31st January 2004

Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:09 pm

By hullsaddler (213.249.213.176) on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 04:14 pm: Edit

0-1.Goalkeeping disaster.
Well I hope Jimmy Walker realises the stupidity of his sending off at Millwall.

By hullsaddler (213.249.213.176) on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 04:16 pm: Edit

1-1.well done Jorge.

By Stu C (82.37.172.113) on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 05:08 pm: Edit

Petterson has just mad 'one of the saves of the season' according to the radio

By aldridge steve (82.37.152.211) on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 05:11 pm: Edit

Not near a radio - who is Taylor?

By Stu C (82.37.172.113) on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 05:20 pm: Edit

Kris Taylor

By hullsaddler (213.249.213.176) on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 05:58 pm: Edit

Sounded very unlucky to not get anything out of that.Will be interested to hear opinions about Jorge's disallowed goal. Would it have gone in if he hadnt touched it?

By rodney (80.195.139.10) on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 06:15 pm: Edit

JANUARY JINX AGAIN!!!!

EFFING CACK!

GOOING DAIRN!

By southernsaddler (194.6.9.129) on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 06:30 pm: Edit

what happened to emblen?

how did taylor look?

crowd reaction to Samways?

By Cal's a saddler (81.131.14.214) on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 07:27 pm: Edit

Don't know bout Emblen!
Taylor started off slowly but gained confidence as the game went on! Did look tired towards middle of second half but not surprising really.
Samways was cheered at start and at end of game! Played very well and showed what we have missed with him out and what we will miss when he's gone. Pity Merse don't show the willingness that Samways does through the whole 90 mins.

By Fish (81.132.241.209) on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 07:43 pm: Edit

15 Wasted minutes ...

Strangely enough, although we've suffered a defeat at the hands of the Clayheads, I feel more optimistic than I have done for some time and now that January is over, I fully expect us to resume our climb up the table.

So staying with the plusses, it was good to see Walsall 'go for it' away from home. It's been so long, I can't remember when we made so many chances.

Having Vinny, Jorge and Ritchie back was like having three new signings. They all played well. It was also good to see a youngster start and have a good debut, capped with a fine goal after a great move (the name Taylor on a Walsall score sheet always has a good feel to it).

For me I thought that Aranalde had one of his best games, and after really slow and worrying start, I thought that Carbon had a great second half...his distribution was especially good.

Now for the not so positives... Mr Lee (i''ll come to the wasted 15 mins in a mo).

Question Mr Lee ? What are you going to do about the keeper situation ? OK, Pedderson made a couple of fine saves in the second half, but he had also cost us two goals by then. This can't continue...you must find someone on a 'non contract' for the next game. It can't go on (but I did like the 'Pedderson reign of terror coming to an end', joke on WM.

Now for those those 15 mins. Obviously Managing a football club has many facets to it and I think that Lee has earned a good reputation for his wheeling and dealing...the Gary Wales signing is a real coup.

But I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that Lee is a numbskull when it comes to reading the game. He yet again he took too long to repond to Stoke's energetic start to the second half and change things around.

Amongst the excellent support today, hundreds could see this. And of course the inevitable happened when Stoke went three-two up with half an hour to go. That should have been the signal to get Wales on, but we had to wait a further 15 minutes.

This meant that by the time of the first substitution we were chasing one point, not three that we could have earned against a very, very poor Stoke City that looked vulnerable every time we went at them.

Perhaps this is the reason we have consistently failed to come from behind to win in the last few years.

C'mon Colin sort it out, or come and sit with us in the stands, we'll give you some ideas.

Ah well ,not such a bad performance, and Jimmy will soon be back.

By Surrey Saddler (195.93.34.9) on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 07:48 pm: Edit

From the internet commentary it sounds as if we did quite well today with some positives in Taylor's performance and the unlucky disallowed goal. It seems one of their goals was suspect as well. Pity about the defence, though. Who is suspended for next week.

By BS (213.48.83.223) on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 09:14 pm: Edit

Petterson-At fault for the first and third goal, made two good saves but lost us the match, AGAIN!
Bazeley- This man is so consistent. Consistently ••••!
Aranalde- Not a bad game from ziggy.
Carbon- Wasted a few punt upfield balls but so does ropes, Ritchie & Carbon/Emblen doesnt do the job like ropes and Psycho.
Ritchie- Only made one mistake, otherwise consistent.
Merson- Why did we sign this bloke?
Vinny- Wasnt his best game but slowed the play down when needed.
Wrack- I only knew wracky was playing when he shouted his mouth off, otherwise very quiet.
Taylor- Didnt do much apart from the goal.
Birch- Pity his last name wasnt wales and he fecked off there!
Jorge- MAN OF THE MATCH, well done my son.

Wales- Had three chances in his brief 20 minutes fluffed one shot and another was blocked, pity the linesman flagged (DID ANYONE NOTICE THE LIBNESMAN HE WALKED OFF TOWARDS THE CENTRE CIRCLE SAW A STOKE PLAYER MOANING AND THEN WENT BACK AND PUT HIS FLAG UP)It was comical if you was a neutral but tear jerking as a saddler!
Lawrence- What drug was he given before the match he touched the ball TWICE and made a good pass to bazeley.

Can't say too much about the match, we played well but that isnt good enough with 6 points between us and the bottom 3 and forest have a game in hand, I think that electronicfishcake relegation calculator had better come out. That 50 points is looking as close as Japan at the moment, sort it out colin.

By Cannock (213.48.84.105) on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 09:16 pm: Edit

We played quite well today and for the neutral observer it would have been considered as an end to end exciting game. Unfortunately the bag of cement between the sticks cost us very dear. He has the agility of a pregnant cow.

Samways controlled the middle, Taylor looked very impressive in the first half and Jorge lively.

I certainly couldn't fault the determination and committment today. If we try our best and lose then so be it. It is when the players don't give a stuff and lose that i get infuriated.

Overall, a draw would have been a fair result but maybe Stoke just shaded it with their pace and movement upfront. I think that was the difference between the sides.

I would start next week with the same 11. It's just a shame that Skippy will still be in goal. when stoke realised how cack he was they adopted a shoot on site policy.

I think Kearnsy has more agility than our temporary stopper.

By steelmass (80.225.104.6) on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 09:33 pm: Edit

The lads gave it there all except for the aussie doorstop in our goals who looked like he had too much fosters. Plus what is up with merson he was strolling around like there was no tommorow

in terms of the offside goal jorge went to knock it in the net and the ref flagged twerp

plus combine it with a shut railway station drving rain, and fecking mud no wonder sjoke is a industial cesspit

By Fish (81.132.239.21) on Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 12:44 am: Edit

Shame about the goal. TV confirms that Jorge was offside when he 'made sure'. He didn't have to, it was on its way into the net.

I noticed that I spelled the goalies name wrong in my earlier post.

This was because;

a) the Herfolge effect made me use the Danish version (I wonder if their keeper could do with a game next week ?) or

b) as Petterson was so prone to mistakes, I thought I would follow his lead, or

c) as he won't be around for much longer, I couldn't be bothered to remember it.

By sonic (195.93.34.9) on Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 01:26 am: Edit

Heartbreaking to lose like that! We are having a nightmare with officials at the moment. Had Walker been in goal we would have won but Walker should feel embarrased that his stupidity is costing us so much. I cant understand why people are having a go at Merson. I thought he was good today. He pinged over a superb ball for Jorge's goal and was very unlucky with a brilliant shot that hit the post. I hope Samways injury is not serious and that he does not need to go to Spain for a month to recover.

By Jorge14 (195.93.34.9) on Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 11:04 am: Edit

I actually think it was one of Merse's best games for a long time, his pass for Jorge's goal was one of the best balls I've ever seen. If ever you need his signing justified, just look at that pass. He picked out Jorge's head with one look inbetween 3 Stoke defenders. Pure brilliance. And his effort in the second half would have rivalled his opening day goals for brilliance.
I just hope that is the start of a turn around for Merse.

I sung Vinny's name, but I honestly don't have any respect left for him. But I won't actively boo a player in a Walsall shirt, and even if he doesn't want to be here, he has sacrificed a lot for us, and will do until May 9th. He had a good game before that disgusting tackle by Asaba, for which he should have walked.

Jimmy Walker should feel ashamed of himself. It's as much him who has cost us 9 goals in 2 games than Andy Petterson. It's all very well to say that if we had have had Walker in goals we would have only conceded once yesterday, but it's because of Walker we have Petterson in goals. However, Andy Petterson is embarrassing. Mark Gayle was surely a better goalkeeper!!! Mick Kearn's would have held the first goal, let alone try to parry it over the ball, and for the second goal, it took him an eternity to get back of the floor after an initial smart save. No match fitness I expect, but even so. He made a couple cracking save at the end of the first half, one when he bravely dived at the feet of the striker on the edge of the box, and another when he saved with his legs. The shot was hit with such force that you could hear the impact like a gunshot! He mad some good saves in the second, but his kicking was abysmal, particularly in the last seconds when we needed the ball lumped back into the box.

Fish, our Herfolge link is over...already! One of the pinks reported it last week, including a desperate attempt by Whalley to try and gain some credibility for the deal. 1 man on trial...that was worth it JB!

Unfortunately, it's just a case of Striker's instinct when it comes to Jorge. WOuld anyone be able to resist putting the ball in from a yard, even when it is sure to go in? It's like Merse's goal at Burnley, Hay's header was in, but Merse "made sure". He was definately off-side however.

I'll try not to criticse Gary Birch too much, because he did some good work inbetween his abject lazyness. He did well for Kris Taylor's goal, and I think it was he who worked well on the left for the disallowed goal. However, he is the most gutless player I've seen for a long time. Even Boli went into more 50-50 balls than Birchy!

Kris Taylor had a cracking debut. I've been calling for him to get his chance for a long time, and personally felt that he (or Jonny Harkness) should have been played at left back instead of bringing Vincent

I thought the back four did well. Particularly Sicknote, when you consider he's only played 45 minutes of League Football for 8 months. Ritchie was a rock again, I hope the FA see sense, and don't give him too hefty a ban, although one is surely forthcoming. Bazely had a good game and worked well with Leitao, Merson and Vinny down the right, and likewise Zigor had a good game down the left. Linking brilliantly with Kris Taylor inparticualr. He only play's well when his throw-ins are crap!!!

Yesterday was encouraging, and but for the bloopers of Petterson, it was an enjoyable game, but the frustration is that we could, and should, have won.

By scotty (81.79.38.227) on Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 02:03 pm: Edit

I really hope that Taylor gets a run in the side now as it'll do wonders for his confidence. He's a young lad who has justified his place in the first time with his performaces in the reserves. He gave 100% yesterday but did tire towards the end. Come on Colin Lee - give him a run now. I'm sure all of the fans that weren't there yesterday want to take a look at hime at Home against Crewe....

By sedgers (62.31.219.209) on Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 02:20 pm: Edit

I am really starting to worry now,at one point we were 11 points clear of bottom three playing well and even talk of a top half finish!But what the hell is going on,ok so we miss wacker but even so we are just playing crap,and as for merson hes turning into the incredible sulk just moping round the pitch hands on hips!Normally i would say i never want to see vinny in a walsall shirt again but god how we need him.On a final note i am doing "goalkeeper idol" in my garden this week,the winner gets to play against crewe saturday,well it cant get no worse(can it?)!

By Stu (195.92.67.77) on Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 04:13 pm: Edit

Sedgers, its just a run of bad form. All teams have them, if we can recover with a win at home to Crewe next Saturday then we've got matches vs Forest and Watford to follow...

This is our first real spell of bad form since the beginning of the season, and no doubt we will have another one at some point. But, as we've seen already, we'll also have good runs of form inbetween.

As for the keeper issue, to be honest, Wacka is as much at fault. It was his downright stupidity and losing his head that has put us in this situation to start with. Hopefully he'll learn from this next time somebody else tries to wind him up.

By coxanddrummie (195.93.34.9) on Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 05:05 pm: Edit

Can't really comment on yesterdays game cus i didn't go. Why? I couldn't be bothered. I knew we would lose before a ball was kicked

This club is seriously on the slide due to the cancer that Lee has caused. We will be relegated if Lee is to remain in charge, that i don't doubt.

We are a laughing stock. We have stooped to such a gutter level that we now play a 35 year old has been in Samways who quite obviously does not want to play for the club. We employ another has been in Merson who is here because it's conveinient for him.

We have a defender in Carbon who left the club and then came back because he is mentally impaired to such an extent that no other club would take him on. We have a striker in Birch who is possibly the worst player i have ever seen at any level, i include schoolboy level in that

We have no assistant manager because the board can't even back thier manager to provide him with one. That is what they think of Lee.

If it were down to me id have Lee booted out now. I actually think that Jeff Bonsor is now thinking that Lee has the next 3 games to save his job. The time has come for Walsall fans to see that Colins Cancer is taking us down.

By Pelsall Saddler (195.92.168.177) on Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 05:26 pm: Edit

Great summing up Jorge, agree with
just about everything you say.
Just two things worried me about yesterday:

1. What are "Guest Pies"? This concerns me as to what these people do to visiting supporters - shades of Royston Vesey?

2. Has to be the worst ground I've ever tried to drive away from. Sat on the island outside our end for about 15 minutes - nothing moving. Have the Stoke constabulary no idea when it comes to traffic control?

PS Had to laugh at BBC Radio Stoke phone-in. Some jokers were even talking about a play-off place for our North Staffordshire friends.

By robpastoke (80.5.160.4) on Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 05:38 pm: Edit

yup and some ppl were talking about relegation

By Magic Man Fan (213.120.56.33) on Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 05:44 pm: Edit

BS, How can you blame PeTTerson for the 3rd goal it took a massive deflection past him! Unless you mean the second which was a good save from the first shot, not many keepers would have held onto it. He's still probably equally the worst keeper I can remember in my time watching the Saddlers. Equal with Emberson that is.

As with Jorge14 I can't understand he criticism of Merse. He and Vinny ran the midfield in the first half. Tried too many fancy outside of the boot passes tho as usual in the second half. The game could have been very different if his excellent shot had have gone in instead of hitting the post, just our luck at the moment.

Very disappointed that Lee didn't bring Wales on until it was almost too late. It was clear that after Stokes 3rd we lost control a bit and needed a sub but once again no sign of one.

As to the fool who had texted WM (that we managed to pick up by J14) to say "who is this Kris Taylor" Call youself a fan?

Good following from us today pity we didn't have any points to celebrate on the way home.

By Jorge14 (195.93.34.9) on Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 06:27 pm: Edit

The Sunday Mercury is saying that Bracewell will be our new Assistant Manager.

By David Potter (67.64.186.143) on Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 06:39 pm: Edit

Petterson was obviously a desperation move by Colin. He had to have cover, it's a shame that he had to dig this bloke up from the graveyard of bad goalkeepers.
Certainly at fault for the first goal, I'm not sure about the third, but he did make some stunning saves!

Well done Kris Taylor. Great debut, especially in the first half. He tired in the second (why 20 year-old's get tired is beyond me) and was rightly subbed.
Merson put himself about in the first half, tremendous vision to find Jorge for our first goal, he was very unlucky to hit the post with a great strike.
Vinny was class again. I wish we had that old head on some younger legs, he's going to be missed!
I thought Carbon played well, we do need his pace and experience. Having played so little first team football in a while, he was impressive.
Ritchie was rock solid, no further comments are necessary.
Bazeley had a decent game, for once.
Aranalde does some good things and then spoils it by his inept defending. I felt more comfortable when Vincent was here.
Birch proved yet again that he's not going to make the grade! He's had enough games to prove himself, and hasn't! I think we've seen the last of him for a while now the Wales has signed.
Jorge has his best game for ages. Tireless runner, created space and only his poaching instinct prevented us from equalizing.I defy anyone not to have knocked that in!
Wales would have scored from that header had Jorge left it alone, he came on far to late. Colin, the game was crying out for a change after Stoke scored their third, the subs should have been brought on then!

Overall, I'm pleased with the performance and very disappointed with the result. A draw would have been fairer. What pleased me most was the fight, we didn't give and drop our heads like we did last week.

By Cal's a saddler (81.131.160.196) on Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 08:15 pm: Edit

Merse doesnt help the cause one bit when he stands there hands on hips coz someone has tackled him or taken the ball off him! I know he's a good player even at his age but he has to show some effort in trying to get the ball back after he's been tackled!!

C&D go away you talk complete and utter drivel!

By ucow (195.93.34.9) on Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 08:25 pm: Edit

new it was to good to be true and that the •••• mister would return to our boards! what crap you do speak C&D! although it does make me laugh that someone can be that idiotic its untrue! you call yourself a fan but never get behind the team! you come out with us not having an assistant manager when we do by the name of mike hassel! who is combining that role with the job of youth develpment! if you are going to critisis the club at least get your facts right! as for us going down theres more chance of you going down on a woman than us being relegated! and the chances of you going down on a woman are a million to one!

By Neil Ravenscroft (82.37.184.65) on Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 08:29 pm: Edit

I thought we were just ignoring him. Please don't give him any credibility, if we ignore his posts, he'll go away.

By Cannock (62.31.216.72) on Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 11:38 pm: Edit

Why the hell are people going on about Pettersons so called great saves. Words cannot describe his goalkeeping attributes.

The first so called save was more luck than judjement. As he lay on the floor the ball cannoned off him. He tipped one round the post (isn't that what they are supposed to do) and he tipped a long range effort over the bar. Whoopee.

Stop defending the indefensible. The bloke is crap. Admittedly not his fault but he is crap all the same.

Stop looking for excuses. We all know who is at fault for this situation.

By ucow (212.137.57.25) on Monday, February 02, 2004 - 08:37 am: Edit

yes one mr jimmy walker cannock for his stupid acctions at milwall!

By coxanddrummie (195.93.34.9) on Monday, February 02, 2004 - 09:57 am: Edit

Ucow you seem to know more than me about the new assistant manager. It seems to have slipped me by that we have employed a man called MICK HASSEL.
Where did he come from?

By Delves Saddler (194.73.163.108) on Monday, February 02, 2004 - 11:53 am: Edit

I totally agree with Jorge14's assessment.

Kris Taylor's mum was sat in front of me and she was so proud - she appeared to be dabbing the tears from her eyes throughout the game.

I thought the 'boy done well' and deserves a place for Crewe (based on that showing, I definitely prefer him to Osborne).

Jorge definitely my man of the match. Tireless running but without the fault from earlier in the season when he was popping up all over the pitch and knackering himself out. He looks far more effective now concentrating on the job he does well.

I too am bemused by the criticism of Merson - I have questioned his application over the last few weeks, but I definitely thought Saturday was his best game for ages.

I know I am biased towards him, but I thought Zigor was superb and apart from one dodgy moment didn't do much wrong defensively and his crossing was always a threat.

Must say that unless it is Roper and Ritchie in defence, then we do look vulnerable. Carbon did put in an OK showing, but the R&R partnership gives me (an the team) far more confidence.

Overall, as most seem to be saying, pleased with the attacking performance (especially as it was away) but p*ssed of with the result.

Keep it up on Saturday and we should beat Crewe, although we must start with Wales, not Birch.

By ucow (212.137.57.25) on Monday, February 02, 2004 - 02:30 pm: Edit

C&D he has been at the club for sometime now he came from the youth set up and is now keen to return to the youth set up thats why he is combining both roles at the same time! try cheacking out http://WWW.saddlers.co.uk you might actually learn something about the club you claim to support!

although if memory serves me right he came from peterbourgh where he was a player! so at teh end of the day he isnt the new assistant manager hes the old one who is moving on to a new job within the club when we have got a new assistant manager or is this a little to hard for someone of your intelegence or lack of it to understand?

By Dave Roe (217.37.14.235) on Monday, February 02, 2004 - 02:31 pm: Edit

I know that the result is everything but for the first time in ages I actually feel slightly confident. I walked out of the ground actually feeling happy that I'd made the effort to go to an away game. My main arguments about the team/Lee have been the tendency to sit back and not press the opposition, a criticism that can't be levelled about Saturday.

My only concern is Lee's unwillingness to change things round earlier. As mentioned above, we needed a quick substitution after the third goal to avoid us losing too much momentum.

I would like to see Taylor be given a start on Saturday but I'd imagine that Lee will stick to his favourites and bring Osbourn back.

By J (82.37.172.170) on Monday, February 02, 2004 - 03:10 pm: Edit

Think C&D's point Ucow is in the spelling of good old mick surname. Definatly aint Hassel

By Cannock (213.48.84.36) on Monday, February 02, 2004 - 05:14 pm: Edit

We must watch the same matches Dave, spot on.

By Dave Roe (217.37.14.235) on Monday, February 02, 2004 - 05:44 pm: Edit

It's good to know someone sees the game the same as me. I see some posts some weeks and wonder if I went to the same match !

By Purple Pete (81.134.15.33) on Monday, February 02, 2004 - 07:09 pm: Edit

I read dummie's posts and wonder if he is on the same planet!

By ucow (195.93.34.9) on Monday, February 02, 2004 - 08:03 pm: Edit

it is in my world j!!!!

By mark slattery (82.37.144.88) on Monday, February 02, 2004 - 08:22 pm: Edit

checked out saddlers world and when wales headed the ball across the goal lato was behind a stoke defender,thus meaning he was onside,even though the ball would of gone in lato was clearly within his rights to put it in as he had took up a position behind a stoke when wales had headed the ball back across the goal. thoroughly enjoable game despite the result.good debut for taylor,hopes he starts against crewe.petterson at fault for first two goals but came back well in the second half,no chance with the fluky third stoke goal.agree that lee should of bought on wales maybe 10 minutes earlier as he was just into his stride when the match ended.but two weeks on the trot now we have not been helped by officals,lee mthead mason against coventry,and the dodgy linesman at stoke.as i have said above lato was not offside when the initial wales header came across the goal.looking forward to the crewe game on saturday after a positive display on saturday despite the result!!
c&d your are a moron!! get a life mthead!!!

By Ludlow Dave (81.79.60.192) on Tuesday, February 03, 2004 - 09:23 am: Edit

The loss was hard to take as we did not deserve it. Well done to the lads for showing spirit, effort and class that was so missing against Coventry.
I was surprised when I heard Taylor was playing but after watching his efforts I'm so glad he did. He was given a job and he did it well and a goal as well. I'm looking forward now to the Crewe match, hopefully lady luck will give us a break in that one.

Return to 2003-04 Season