Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Crystal Palace (h) - League - 22nd November 2003

Reports and reaction from the 2003-04 season as Walsall finished 22nd (R) in Division 1
Andy
UTS Regular

Crystal Palace (h) - League - 22nd November 2003

Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:20 pm

By SheffieldSaddler (195.93.34.9) on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 01:16 pm: Edit

It will be great to get back to some football this weekend.
If we play like we are capable of at home then I can definately see a win that will hopefully push us into the top half of the table.
Imagine that, Walsall in the top 12! What great reading that will be in the papers.
We are one of the form teams at the moment in division one, surely 3 points against a Palace team who are not great away from home will be very welcome
COME ON YOU SADDLERS!

By Delves Saddler (194.73.163.108) on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 02:29 pm: Edit

Absolutely Sheff. It's great to get back to proper football. Plus, this 2 week gap without footy has only given way to more bickering on here. That isn't directed at you Sheff, as more often than not I side with you, but it's about time Walsall FC took priority over UTS 'domestics'.

COME ON ME BABBIES

By Neil Ravenscroft (62.172.127.2) on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 02:44 pm: Edit

That's the penalty of playing at thins level, you end up with these crap international breaks! God help us when we get to the Premiership and there's no transfers to talk about for half the year!

By Jorge14 (195.93.34.9) on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 06:01 pm: Edit

Won't qwerty be gutted about that Neil? lol

If we are to establish ourselves in mid-table in Division One, then we need to beat Palace, who, in my opinion, are the most horrendously over rated side in the league, purely, I would think, because they have a relatively wealthy chairman and they are a prominant London side.

3-1 is my prediction for Saturday, hopefully, Merse will shut the tabloids up with a stunning performance, and Wracky (surely Nationwide Player of the Month?) will continue his goalscoring run with any luck.

Sheff, Top Half of Division One? The stuff of dreams 5 years ago, now a realistic possibility under, what Cox, the "worst manager in this clubs history"?

COME ON THE SADDLERS!

By SheffieldSaddler (195.93.34.9) on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 06:11 pm: Edit

Great to get talking about football again.
Yes I agree Jorge14 about the terrible plight we have suffered under CL, just dont know how all us Walsall fans are still here supporting the club through such a terrible few years.
I reckon 3-1 will not be far off either. By the way. Send me your email address as I seem to have lost it from aol. [email protected]

By Neil Ravenscroft (62.172.127.2) on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 09:47 am: Edit

Stragely enough, I went for 3 - 1 in the prediction league on our site, so that makes three of us and no chance of it being the score!

By coxanddrummie (195.93.34.9) on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 12:19 pm: Edit

Some of you are so negative. Just because we are mid table in the first division you all think it's great.
Well i can tell you now that Walsall are under acheiving at the moment.
On paper we have players capable of maintaining a top six spot. The problem is of course with the manager who knows nothing about football and commands little respect from his players.
The man who has to go through a long winded pointless interview process to employ a number two because he has no mates.
Anything less than 3 points tomorrow would be a disgrace and a clear out would be needed.

By Delves Saddler (82.37.160.201) on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 01:15 pm: Edit

3-1 sounds about right to me. What odds on another from Wrack?

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.164) on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 03:18 am: Edit

Dummie, go stuff yourself, you're just on another total wind up and there's not an ounce of sincerity in your post.

Don't react, he's just a knob.

By coxanddrummie (195.93.34.9) on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 01:25 pm: Edit

That's more like it Geoff, i LOVE that. Said with a bit of feeling
Perhaps you should get drunk a bit more.

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.165) on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 02:09 pm: Edit

Jesus, I can't get drunk a bit more c&d.

Been in my local since 8.45am watching the Rugby, off to the Saddlers Club now for a couple before the match, what more can I do?

By SheffieldSaddler (195.93.34.9) on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 06:58 pm: Edit

Thought we played ok today. The final ball would just not fall to us!
Defence played well, with Vincent having one of his best games for us.
Midield was led well by Osborne, I like this guy, always gives his best and never stops all match, plays well with Samways in the middle. Also thought Corica played well again, always wanted the ball and ran his heart out.
Merson played some good touches and I think Birch had one of his quieter games.
Overall though, I thought we would win so in a way I feel we dropped 2 points but at least our good run continues.
It was always going to be an anti-climax after this morning. I am totally knackered now thats for sure.

By Cannock (62.31.217.39) on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 08:14 pm: Edit

I would just like to thank the supporters sitting behind me for supplementing my hang over with continual anti Colin Lee bollox.

As for the slating offered to "ex dingle" Dinning before he even came onto the pitch well, i just give up. Maybe you need to address yourself in a quiet corner

By ANoS (213.122.3.160) on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 08:17 pm: Edit

Thought we should have won it, but they had good chances too, and on another day we could have lost it... last season we chucked the points away against them, at least this season we got something, and we're still sitting very pretty in the table.

By cat3 (219.76.96.1) on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 08:28 pm: Edit

We gotta start hitting the net and advance, come on Saddlers, let's get busy with those inspiration of yours and overpower the keeper. Go Go Sads!!!

By Stu (195.92.67.70) on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 08:33 pm: Edit

Decent performance, thought we were the better side by a considerable distance.

What were the Sponsors thinking of? Walker as MOTM, it was an amazing double save, but thats all the bloke did in 90 minutes.

A tale of missed chances and poor final balls today when in very good positions.

Vincent was fantastic, a couple of stray passes but that was all. Solid defensively and he got forward more today than I've seen him do before. I couldn't believe a couple of comments on WM about him being poor, even UCOW would have to admit to his superb game today.

Corica was also very good. I felt if we were to score it'd come from Corica, he should have scored with his first chance but his runs and movement all afternoon was very good indeed. Looks he is getting back to his best and the consistency returning.

Finally, agree with Cannock fully. The anti-Lee stuff is really now just stupid, what on earth is the point in saying "Dingle, the problem is up front not in midfield" when preparing to bring Dinning on. Fair enough if you have that opinion, but at least have the respect to call him by his name and not "Dingle".

By Walsall Supporter (82.37.193.137) on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 08:49 pm: Edit

Agree with you Stu about Vincent, but was pleased to see Zigor get an outing too,
Also agree that the sponsors got the MOTM wrong too, I had said Paul Merson, who under extreme private life pressure, I thought had a good game.

Entertaining match, even if a tad frustrating with the amount of shots at goal that just wouldn't go in.

Hats off to their Goalie who kept them in the match.

Shame the crowd was so poor, under 7,000. Obviously the fair weather supporters were a no show.

P.S Great to hear Chris's song. Sounded really good.

By Cannock (213.48.83.35) on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 09:06 pm: Edit

Maybe my hangover has distorted my view of the game. My opinions seem wildly different from the postings above.

It was a game that was there for the taking and we should easily be three points to the better. However, our distribution was diabolical today with both Baird and Vincent guilty of conceding possession way too easily and needlessly.

Even though the entertainment value was poor today we certainly had enough good chances to have had the game sewn up by half time.

Palace were a very, very poor side so i view todays effort as 2 points lost as opposed to 1 point gained.

Corica had a fantastic first half and continued to try and create in the second. Unfortunately he was pushed off the ball a little too easily in the second period.

Agree with above post regarding Chris's song. Sounded excellent over the PA system. Well done mate.

By Jorge14 (195.93.34.9) on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 09:32 pm: Edit

Cannock, definatley agree about this being 2 points lost. Birch squandered a great chance to set Wracky up on a tee mid-way through 2nd half, which stood out to me inparticular.

Was the Palace penalty claim a penalty? Was sitting the other end in the first half, so I didn't see much of the incident. When Birchy went down a minute before, it definately wasn't a penalty, he fell over.

Corica looked good first half, but tired in the second. Good to see Stevie back on decent form, as hypocritcal as that makes me sound!

Not the best way for Bairdy to close off a good 2 months at the club. I think it'll be interesting to see whether Baze can fit back into the team, hopefully ol' grey 'ed will be back to his consistent best next week at Rothers.

Merse would have been my MOTM, especially with the pressure he's been under, however, no-one really stood out.

Finally, I wish people would give the anti-dingle stuff a rest. Dinning wasn't even stripped to come on and there were the usual "another dingle" comments. If they've got a Red shirt on, they definately ain't playing for Wolves. Also, the anti-Lee moaning bugs me as well, 14th in Division One, and people want him sacked. Do these people realistically expect us to be blazing a path at the top of the league?

Oh, Geoff, Chris' song sounded great today. The first time I've heard it, and hopefully it'll become a regular fixture on match-day.

UP THE SADDLERS!

By coxanddrummie (195.93.33.12) on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 09:37 pm: Edit

I don't actually think the performance was that bad today but we should have took our chances against a team that looked low in confidence to me.
The defence looked sound and i thought we controlled the midfield for much of the game although i did feel at times we need to be a little more forcefull in this area by gaining territory in a more advanced area.
Ive said it before that i beleive in order to do this Vinny has to try and control the game higher up the park at times because there is a killer pass in him and it would give us another option.
I also think that we should have spread the play more in the second half by getting our wider midfield players out even wider and beleive that Aranalde should have come on a little earlier to attack the left flank in a combo with the impressive Vincent.
Birch hustled and bustled but feel sometimes he has to be a bit cuter with his running off the ball in order to find goal scoring chances more regular and give Merson another option instead of him trying to find a unique pass all the time.
We do need more firepower without a doubt and it must be a urgent priority for Lee as i beleive that he as well as i has lost confidence in Leitao to produce at the moment. The very fact that he bought him on so late in the game suggests this is the case.
If he does feel that way then i think perhaps Fryatt should be given a chance to have that striker role on the bench in place of Leitao because he does posses pace and has an eye for goal that the (low in confidence) Leitao just doesn't have right now.

By Stu (195.92.67.70) on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 09:43 pm: Edit

Quite positive from you C&D, bearing in mind we didn't win. Can't really question anything you say either.

Just one of those days. Many a time we come away from a draw feeling pissed off about dropping 2 points, today I went away knowing we'd played okay but lacked that little bit of luck.

I do think we lacked width in the 2nd half, but thats a different story.

Maybe having a week off didn't help, as it takes that little bit of sharpness away and looking at the rest of the division and the other draws, maybe we weren't the only ones.

By chriswhiting (195.92.168.177) on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 11:34 pm: Edit

Cheers for the pro "don't be mad" song messages, hopefully if the reaction remains good, it might get released and distributed through the club, you never know.

About the game, 2 points dropped really, especially on the balance of play. Can't really complain too much about the performance other than the lack of ability infront of the sticks.

err oh yeah and poor distribution at times too.

But besides an in ability to score, and poor distribution at times, I thought we played well today.

oh yeah and selfishness in front of goal (Gary Birch when Wracky was open mid way through the 2nd half), but besides an inability to score, poor distribution at times, and occassional selfishness in front of goal, I thought we played well today.

That is apart from substitutions far to late in the game (again), giving them no time to make any kind of impact, and aiding only the ticking down of the clock.

But apart from, an inability to score, poor distribution at times, occassional selfishness in front of goal, and tactical inefficiencies I thought we played well today.

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.177) on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 11:38 pm: Edit

Yes OK, if anyone noticed anything vaguely python-esque in that, blame me, I played the records to him years ago and he got to like 'em!

By PGtips (195.188.152.14) on Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 01:40 am: Edit

Vincent was excellent today and should have been awarded MOTM. The criticism of him on WM all seemed to come from text messages suggesting zogor should play instead. I did see UCOW fiddling with his phone towards the end of the game so that may explain it.

Overall it was definatly 2 points dropped. We were guilty of being over elaborate in the final third. When we did shoot nobody seemed to have their eye in today. Good running from Corica but he is so frustrating to watch at times. Always getting into good positions but always wanting to take one touch too many or too easily muscled off the ball. I agree with the post above that Fryatt should be getting the final 15 minutes in games like this.

By PGtips (195.188.152.14) on Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 01:45 am: Edit

Vincent was excellent today and should have been awarded MOTM. The criticism of him on WM all seemed to come from text messages suggesting zogor should play instead. I did see UCOW fiddling with his phone towards the end of the game so that may explain it.

Overall it was definatly 2 points dropped. We were guilty of being over elaborate in the final third. When we did shoot nobody seemed to have their eye in today. Good running from Corica but he is so frustrating to watch at times. Always getting into good positions but always wanting to take one touch too many or too easily muscled off the ball. I agree with the post above that Fryatt should be getting the final 15 minutes in games like this.

By Fish (81.132.100.159) on Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 11:22 am: Edit

I heard those WM coments about Vincent also, probably the same muppet texting twice.

I thought we were excellent today at the back and in the middle of the park, but its only when we got into the last third that it all went wrong where we seemed to need too many touches and wanted to walk it in.

I thought that Palace were one of the worst teams to come to Bescot in recent years...an easy win thrown away.

I'm not sure what I think about the extra firepower thing, even if we imported another striker I don't think Lee would change the system, which for much of yesterday, saw a below par Birch up front on his own.

This sytem seems too negative to me and what's more it not getting the best out of Merson's creativeness.

I thought Lee's WM comments interesting. They shewed his inclination to shut up shop once Baird had gone off. Even with 10 we could have wrapped it up.

By ucow (195.93.34.9) on Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 11:57 am: Edit

i dont think anyone realy stood out yesterday as it was a deent all round performance. but why do people start chanting supper jim when all he does is a run of the mill save? as for vincent he had his best game for the saddlers but there is still room for improvermnet! i mean if zigor had played instead of him i have no doubt that he would have took on the opporsition and planted the ball into the back of the net to give us the win! lol! as for the motm i think the sponsors just pull a name out of the hat!

overall another inept performance from a ref who looked like he had just wualified let alone being a premiership offical but defenatly 2 points droped i think the international break has affected us baddley as we looked lathargic at times during the game. as for baird we shouldnt try and extend his loan spell as he will be out for 2 games following his sending off.

By Neil Ravenscroft (82.37.190.199) on Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 01:25 pm: Edit

I was wondering when someine was going to mention the muppet in green who gave probably the most inept exhibition of refereeing I've ever seen, summed up by the occaision when he pulled Buirch back on the break in the second half to give us a free kick! Apart from the dive, he gave us stuff all.

By Stu (195.92.67.208) on Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 01:49 pm: Edit

In all fairness to the Ref on that decision, he blew his whistle well before Birch had turned his man. On top of that, all the fans were screaming for a blatant free kick and Colin Lee was waving his arms at the Ref to give the free kick. So the Ref gave it, it was good few seconds later that Birch turned and got away.

He could have played on and pulled it back for the free kick if it didn't go anywhere though. But I don't think he, nor anyone, expected Birch to somehow turn and leave Symons for dead like he did.

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.164) on Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 03:35 pm: Edit

Must agree with most of the points you've all made. Personally I didn't think Palace were too bad, better than their league position suggests anyway - especially up front they worried us quite a bit, I think the stats will show they had quite a few shots.

With Andy Johnson showing great acceleration and pace at times, this was a game we might have lost due to our own combination of hard luck and poor finishing. Poor decision making too, like in the 2nd half Birch failing to release the ball to Wrack who was perfectly placed to plant a shot on target, but Birch inexplicably turned away from goal and went on a mazy run out of the box, as if he was a tricky defender heading into midfield - unreal!

There were several times we should have buried the ball but miskicked (e.g. Merson) and other times it would just not drop for us (e.g Corica & Birch), I think it was just one of those days, maybe the 2 week lay off had taken away the sharp edge we'd been showing recently.

Not at all impressed with another over-fussy Ref, IMHO Baird's first card was an over-the-top reaction by the official. It was Baird's first real challenge of the game - happened directly in front of me - Baird went in for a fair attempt at the ball, Johnson accelerated and simply skinned him with his pace down the touch line, got caught and it made the challenge look far worse than it really was. I just wish Refs could distinguish between a bad challenge and one where a defender goes in where he expects the ball to be, but the opponent's pace is just too quick. At the time I also thought Baird's second card was for a very mild challenge but it happened a long way from me. Sky TV this morning made it clear though, Johnson again used his pace to skin Baird, and the defender grabbed his hand or wrist to pull him back, so I've no complaints about that one.

I was strangely surprised with myself that I didn't come out of the ground too disappointed, I enjoyed the game which I thought was well-contested and quite entertaining, I knew we SHOULD have won, but also that we COULD have lost, and maybe the euphoria of England winning the world Cup in Sydney, after I had spent a tense but ultimately brilliant morning with my mates in the pub, was enough to ease the disappointment of dropping two points.

One request guys if I may - some more feed-back about the Saddlers Song would help, so that the club can judge the reception and come to a decision with Chris whether to produce it on an "official merchandise" CD. Thanks to those who have already responded in such a positive fashion. For those who have Saddlers World, the club have put together a video including plenty of clips from the Millennium Stadium that fit in with the words of the song - the whole song/video can be heard and viewed there.

Anyway, Chris would appreciate the feed-back if you don't mind, whether it's positive or otherwise - thanks.

By BerkshireSaddler (195.93.34.9) on Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 03:56 pm: Edit

Song for the Saddlers

Thought the song was OK but it lacks a good chorus that the fans can join in with. To summarize:- it is too complicated. We need a simple, catchy song with a rousing chorus like "three lions on the shirt .....".

By BerkshireSaddler (195.93.34.9) on Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 04:24 pm: Edit

Song for the Saddlers

Thinking about this subject a little more.
Who is better at writing popular songs than our "biggest fan" Pete Waterman! Why didn't he contribute a suitable ditty? He does very little else for the club.

By Neil Ravenscroft (82.37.190.199) on Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 05:37 pm: Edit

Popular in this case doesn't mean any good, considering he's responsible for Kylie and Steps!
By the way, ITV seem to be going right down the pan, having identified Wracky as Pedro this afternoon and then putting up a picture of the Sheffield Utd badge and one of Warnock when talking about Bradford City. Roll on the Beeb getting football back.
Also proves no complaints about Baird, however. The second was a clear yellow.

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.172) on Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 06:25 pm: Edit

Berkshire Saddler thanks for the comments, all can be constructive so your contribution is appreciated and comments noted.

As another regular poster on here, are you ever likely to be interested in our Saddlers Nights Out mate, we've held them on Wednesdays until this latest one last Friday, but if it suits a number of more-distant fans to get here on a Friday evening, stay over and take in a home match the next day, we can arrange dates accordingly.

Next Night out will be February, I await feed-back from everyone before a definite date is decided.

By Delves Saddler (82.37.160.201) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 01:02 pm: Edit

After hearing it in the pub on Friday, Geoff, I must say I really enjoyed Chris's song but I also think it might not be one for the fans to sing. However, we have had renditions at Besco of other less punchy songs, which have worked.

To the game:

I have to say I agree with Cannock's (and I didn't have a hangover) and PGTips' comments. Corica is doing everything right until the last moment when he gets easily muscled off the ball or, as PG says, takes too many touches.

I also agree with Cannock that Vincent gave one of his lesser performances - OK he was better going forward than normal but maybe this contributed to him losing possession/his man so often (as I have suggested is the reason for Zigor not performing as well defensively).

Otherwise, no player really stood out above the others as MOTM. I would have to agree that Jimmy had very little to do to get the award, so I would have given it to Osborn or Merson.

Substitutions - when was the last time a walsall manager ever made a substitution that made a difference to the game overall (Byfield at Cardiff)? This business of bringing them on with minutes to go is so annoying. They will be able to have any effect in such a short space of time.

Overall, it feels like 2 points dropped but I suppose the break lost us some momentum and sharpness so I, like Geoff, am not overly disappointed.

By Stu (13.16.137.11) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 01:26 pm: Edit

The point of bringing subs on with a minute to go is very rarely about making an impact though.

Usually its just to kill time a bit. In Saturday's case, it'd have been silly to go gung-ho for a winner when we'd only got 10 men.

Also, Birch was playing as a lone striker by that point and would have been running out of steam. Where as Jorge is a fresh pair of legs and will be that bit quicker and fresher.

It is definitely 2 points dropped, but it was 2 points dropped in a good way rather than a bad way, as we didn't play to badly overall and had the chances to win the game. It'd been have much more negative had it been a dour 0-0 draw with us creating very little.

By BLACK FLAT (194.203.67.97) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 01:50 pm: Edit

why is it we always start each half so slowly
and take an age to warm up.
once we got the passing game together we created
a few good scoring chances,though we still seem
nervous to hit the ball .steve corica got into some good postions then tried to place the ball
instead of bursting the net.
bit dissapointed to get the one point as i thought
palace were preety poor
it was nice to see geoff thomas the old palace
player at the game.hes been ill with cancer but
looked well on sat and was having a bit of banter
with neil emblem when he was warming up

By Dave Roe (217.37.14.235) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 02:55 pm: Edit

Slightly disappointed with the result, but not over disappointed with the performance. It was just one of those games where it was never going to drop for us. The last 15 - 20 minutes of the first half we were camped in their half.

I would have liked to have seen Fryatt come on for the last few minutes rather than a very out of sorts Jorge. If nothing else Matty's pace late in the game would cause problems.

The main downside to the day was (another) no show by Central Trains meaning I didn't have time for a quick pint in the Saddlers Club. I was looking forward to celebrating England's victory (and trying the hair of the dog approach to hangover cure).

By Neil Ravenscroft (62.172.127.2) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 03:12 pm: Edit

The first para is a nice summing up for me, Dave. Couldn't agree more.

By BerkshireSaddler (195.93.34.9) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 03:57 pm: Edit

Geoff, thank you for your comments. I am very interested in Saddlers Nights Out however it won't be necessary to change the dates to Fridays on my account as I will shortly be coming "home" to live in the Midlands. I will probably be posting comments on this message board as "Shropshire Saddler" if one doesn't already exist.
However, if I had continued to live in Berkshire a change to friday nights would have been very welcome as my wife and I often travel to the Midlands early and stay overnight for the match the following day Thank you for the thought and I am sure there are other distant fans who may be interested.

By Jorge14 (195.93.34.9) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 06:17 pm: Edit

To be honest Geoff, I thought the song was crap! LOL! Only joking, I seriously thought it was a good song! Like berkshire said however, the only drawback is that it lacks a really distinctive chorus...

On the night out, if I was going to go, it'd have to be on a Friday. School's pretty serious this year, so staying out too late isn't really an option! I've got to be tucked up in bed! lol.

By Bristol Saddler (217.161.104.2) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 06:22 pm: Edit

Blimey we win the World Cup and Coxanddrummie has been positive all in the same weekend!

Couldn't make the game I was too p*ssed after the Rugby!

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.175) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 08:46 pm: Edit

Look forward to meeting up with you at a future Saddlers Night Out then Berkshire Saddler.

Jorge 14, I'm sure we'll do another Friday night "do" some time mate.

By Delves Saddler (82.37.160.201) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 09:16 pm: Edit

I waited for the 405 for 55 minutes after I left the club. Yes, I know I should have walked as I only live down the road, but by the time the second bus failed to show it was the principle of the thing. I complained to Centro on the phone and to the eventual driver!!! No explanation as to why two 405s failed to show.

(My wait was made all the more interesting when a fine looking young lass (over 18) but her bag on the bus stop's seat and proceeded to remove her jeans and put on tights and a skirt - it turned out she was late for work in the Bonser Sute!!!!!!!!)

By Delves Saddler (82.37.160.201) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 09:17 pm: Edit

Suite - see, even the thought of that incident is getting me excited!!

By David Porter (195.92.168.177) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 10:02 pm: Edit

Know the feeling Dave , after working through the rugby final only caught 10 min's in the second half. I caught train from Bletchley (12 min's late) arrived B'ham International to be told that because of Overhead wire damage in the B'ham area we had to go forward on coaches to New Street. Sat on train at New Street for 35 min's on arrivel at Tame Bridge Parkway train brokedown ( door fault ) arrived Bescot 2:40pm. Nightmare trip , should have been in the Napier at 1:15 for a beer with brother and mate's.

By aldridge steve (82.37.152.232) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 10:50 pm: Edit

Chris/Geoff - Thought the song sounded good - great writing, only down side was that the words were hard to decipher - perhaps if Mr Waterman added some production it could be a huge hit (in Walsall!) not sure of its mass-market appeal!

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.164) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 02:05 am: Edit

Thanks aldridge saddler - the reproduction at the stadium was rather heavy on the bass, which may partly explain why the words were not too easy for you to decipher, though they were (approximately) printed in the match programme. Don't know why they were not exactly correct in there, I believe the club was given a copy of the lyrics by Chris. Anyway, here they are, the full 4 minutes and 2 seconds :

You turn to me and you ask me if I love you,
more than the grass and the trees?
I say of course my dear, of course my dear,
I love you more than these.
but you’re disturbing me watching Football Focus, and I feel you’re still not done.
“you love me more than nature, but what about Bescot Stadium?”

No, no, no, don’t be mad,
how do you expect me to answer that?
you’ve got to realise
I’m a Saddler ‘til I die,
but you could always up and leave me someday,
you could always up and leave.

And then she asks what’s the greatest day of my life.
“Was it the day we were wed?”
I say it’s close my dear, it’s close my dear,
but I’ll answer this instead.

The feeling that you get when you’re in the play-off final
with 10 minutes to go
you’re 2-1 down and that clock it is against you,
and Walsall take a throw.
ooh it gets crossed into the box, and Reading score a great own goal
While I dream of penalties, Byfield lets a rifled shot go-o-o-o

And everything moves in slow frames,
the keeper stretches out, he’s not to blame
it’s surely wide, it'll surely miss,
my heart beat skips as the net bulge-e-e-e-s.

No, no, no, don’t be mad
you’ve got to realise I’m a Saddler ‘til I die
but you could always up and leave me someday
you could always up and leave.

No, no, no, don’t be mad
you’ve got to realise I’m a Saddler ‘til I die
but you could always up and leave me-e-e-e

I love you with every morsel,
but don’t expect to be compared to Walsall.

Oh I love you with every morsel,
but don’t expect to be compared to Walsall

No-no-no, No-no-no, No-no-no, No-o-o-o-o-o

Closing instrumental - the rest is spoken as the instrumemtal fades

What are you walking off for? Come on, I only answered an honest question with an honest answer. What do you want me to do, lie?

Yeah? I've known Walsall longer than I've known you, I've been going since I was seven.

Come on! What are you in a mood for?
Yeah, what?
No, this is exactly what I mean, Walsall don't go in a mood with me, they don't walk off just because I answer a question honestly.

C'mon.
Come down the Bescot, I'll get you a Balti Pie!
Come on ..... Balti Pie?
OK, I'll take that as a No!

The version played at Bescot was played, sung, mixed, produced and recorded onto CD by Chris himself in his small studio at home using good, but not professinal, equipment, so it is inevitably not as good as a professionally produced CD.

Hopefully that will be the next step, but I would mention that the club has already done a great job in producing a video featuring the song, showing many Saddlers action clips and the Millennium Stadium/Reading own goal/Byfield winner, all particularly well matched to the lyrics - so at this point I'd like to say very well done to Daniel Mole & Co for doing that in a very short space of time.

The video/song can be viewed/heard in full on Saddlers World (for those who subscribe to it), though the sound is quite poor (hissy) unless you have access to a Broadband connection.

Hope this all helps.

By coxanddrummie (195.93.34.9) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 11:13 am: Edit

Blimey Geoff are you turning into Simon Cowell. Your giving it your all on promoting this, high waistline and all i bet.
I have heard the song personally and i feel if the club gives it some backing then it will grow on people given time.
There has obviously been a bit of time and thought put to the song so therefore i hope that is rewarded.

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.175) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 12:05 pm: Edit

No c&d, I just read aldridge saddler's comments that he hadn't caught the words, so a simple cut and paste exercise was an easy thing to do and seemed appropriate.

Thanks for the nice comments c&d, Chris certainly did put an enormous amount of time and work into writing, playing, singing, mixing and recording the song single-handedly, it's nice to know that some actually do realise that.

As for promotion, Chris is well able to look after that side of it in conjunction with the club and the press, I have very little part to play in that, but obviously I hope the song is successful.

By aldridge saddler (213.48.36.234) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 04:17 pm: Edit

Geoff - I know a very good (and reasonably priced) PR lady who is great at getting people in the press & on telly if there is a story (which there is) let me know if you want her details [email protected]

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.177) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 07:48 pm: Edit

Cheers for that aldridge saddler, most kind, I'll pass your e-mail address on to Chris. Thanks again.

Return to 2003-04 Season