Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Notts Forest (h) - League - 4th November 2003

Reports and reaction from the 2003-04 season as Walsall finished 22nd (R) in Division 1
Andy
UTS Regular

Notts Forest (h) - League - 4th November 2003

Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:17 pm

By Markly (195.93.34.9) on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 10:30 pm: Edit

3-1....COME ON!!!!!

By Markly (195.93.34.9) on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 10:31 pm: Edit

Tell a lie...4-1 Birchy!!!!!

By cat3 (219.76.96.9) on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 11:03 pm: Edit

Splendid Showcase!

By Stuart C (82.37.172.113) on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 11:13 pm: Edit

I have to say Gary Birch was absolutely outstanding tonight. He chased after every ball, and was responsible for the first two goals - a header across goal for Wrack, and the pressure on Ward for the slip.
I have knocked Birch before as I am sure many people have but I am now beginning to think he has what it takes. My MOM tonight.
We pressured Forest everytime they had the ball and forced them into panicking. They were all over the place when we pressed them in this way. Merson had a fairly quiet game by his standards but cam up with a few killer passes including the one to set up Birch for the fourth.
Baird made a difference on his return, and I thought Corica had a good game too.
Just a plea from me - to those that sit behind me in the Purple Stand in the Middle Tier directly behind the goal - support the team, get behing the team, stop criticising the team or F@@K OFF.
Thanks.

By Welsh_Saddler (213.122.38.108) on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 11:16 pm: Edit

I don't mind anyone criticising the team when form is poor - I don't even mind when certain people call for the Manager's head to roll, that's their privilege.

However, I think it cuts both ways, and when the form takes an upturn, as it surely has at present. I think it only reasonable that credit should be given where it is due. In the past couple of weeks we've beaten Reading (away) and thoroughly seen off Wigan and Nottingham Forest at home, more recently without our "star" loan signing Gary O'Neil.

So come on, CoxandDummie, let's see if you are a REAL supporter of the Saddlers - let's see what carping negativity you can produce as of today...

By Manchester Saddler (213.106.179.33) on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 11:22 pm: Edit

Well said Welsh Saddler.

Come on C&D - let's see your one sentence on tonight's performance. Or are you big enough to really give credit where credit's due?

As for the result - I have one word - FANTASTIC!!!

Well done lads. we're now 9 points off relegation and 6 off the play-offs.

Come on you Saddlers!!!!!!

By cheese bag (81.131.78.219) on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 11:35 pm: Edit

WELL DONE BOYS.... Birch, Ropes and Richie all outstanding, Samways and Wrack (even his hair cut is getting better!!!)both excellent.

Lets get to that magic 50 points sooner rather than later.....

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.194.17) on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 11:40 pm: Edit

For some this is just another day at Bescot, another thumping victory against a team that a few years ago we celebrated drawing with like we'd won the Eupropean cup. Come to mention it a club that a couple of decades ago did win the bleeding Eurpopean cup. Does that put modern life supporting WFC in perspective for the moaners?

By belgian saddler (213.224.83.86) on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 11:44 pm: Edit

up the saddlers

By popperpancake (81.77.246.238) on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 11:55 pm: Edit

Great performance tonight. We looked hungrier, were quicker to the ball and always had options when we were in possession. Birch played like the player he was always supposed to be, he seems finally to have gained the confidence he perhaps lacked. Plus, when he plays like he did 2nite, he's the type of striker that we all talked about needing earlier on in the season. It was similar to saturdays game except it was us who played well and the oppostition who were awful. Roper i thought was excellent as well as the more obvious Birch and Wrack. Good response to saturday basically. I always thought 442 was worth trying, now i'm covinced we should stick with it. I know the 2 full backs are on loan (Vincent i would imagine has a possibility of moving here permanently? he's certainly not gonna get a look in at portsmouth), but we certainly look more comfortable with the 4 at the back and 4 across midfield. Good stuff.

By salop saddler (213.78.161.226) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 12:12 am: Edit

Serious thought should be lent to presenting young Birch with a long term deal. Without a shadow of a doubt the player has come on leaps and bounds in the past few weeks. I'd imagine the Forest defence have rarely been tormented to such an extent by a single individual for some time. He deserved his goal, Merson clearly agreed and laid it on superbly for the lad. Tonights scoreline flattered Forest and didn't do us justice. Top stuff from all concerned.

By coxanddrummie (195.93.34.9) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 12:15 am: Edit

Just got back from the match and am delighted with a truly excellent performance. That is the kind of standards of effort and performance i expect week in week out for the saddlers.

First and foremost we worked our socks off tonight and each player to a man gave everything they had. Not only that, they played as a unit and worked for each other.

I felt we were a little fortunate to go into a 2 goal lead in some ways but persistence and hard work got us the goals. Thier goal was a little sloppy of us defensively and i thought to myself at half time that an onslaught was on the cards and Forest would gain the upper hand. HOW WRONG WAS I!.

Second half we started superb and i must give credit to Colin Lee and Halsall because it was obvious to me that they picked up on a few weaknesses in Forest and delivered them superbly to the team. Their message was to attack and exploit their weak defence and they did to great effect. I think Lee spotted there threat in Reid as well and i think he told Baird to hold his position at right back as Reid would drift out that way to try and make things happen. They coped very well with him and the defence was superb second half.
Lee deserves credit for his team talk at half time because he got it spot on.

A special mention for Gary Birch because i felt he was great tonight and reminded me of Rambo and that's a compliment to him. He worked really hard, deserved his goal and i think recently he has fine tuned his game to his strengths, a bustling centre forward who will out power defenders.

A couple of minor criticisms and they are minor are that i feel Walsall have to start every game with an urgency like they did second half tonight.
Most visiting managers will always drill there team to not concede early therefore the team start in a cautious manner. I feel Walsall in future must try to capitalise on this and set the tone of the game. Id also like to see Corica crave the ball a bit more as well like he did as the game wore on, all the time. He has ability but must realise it at all times.

Overall though i thought we were brill and i could be forgiven for saying that the Forest defence were appaling but i felt we made them worse by harassing them at all times.

The team have now earnt the right to keep thier shirts for the next game and hope they do.
One last thing, did you all see Emblen's ball for the last goal, SHEER CLASS.

By SheffieldSaddler (195.93.34.9) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 12:19 am: Edit

Dummie - Where are you? Or are you waiting to read the report in tomorrows Express And Sh*te?
Brilliant today. The whole team were superb. Best performance of the season. Better than West Brom and better than the Wigan performances.
Ritchie and Roper - Surely one of best centre half partnerships in the divsion. Vincent and Baird outstanding.
Midfield - Super. Another brace by Wrack and Osborne again did his usual business. Very effective.
Attack - Merson and Birch forming a great partnership. Well done Birch. I for one dont mind admitting when I am wrong. The last 4 matches, he has been a credit to himself and Walsall FC as a whole.
So what will Dummie think? Another win under CL and just 2 points from the top 10 and a massive 9 points from relegation!
B R I L L I A N T.

By WhatAPlonker Saddler (217.44.83.236) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 12:24 am: Edit

Errrr....he's above you Sheff....

By coxanddrummie (195.93.34.9) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 12:26 am: Edit

Err Sheff your too late mate. LOOK UP and you will see.

By SheffieldSaddler (195.93.34.9) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 12:29 am: Edit

I only look down on scum. Not above!

By sj (195.93.34.9) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 12:30 am: Edit

C+D clearly you are a true Saddler-- Respect

By Manchester Saddler (213.106.179.33) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 12:35 am: Edit

Well done C&D. Glad to see you praise the team (and the manager) for once.

Keep it up lads!!!!

By beechdale_saddler (62.31.216.213) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 12:37 am: Edit

WHAT A PERFORMANCE, we cannot go over the top with this performance (remember what happened after the albion game), but the recent performances have been fantastic, even against Norwich we didnt play to bad. Birch-this bloke can deliver at this level hes got the confidence he needs now for him to get 10 goals at this level. Ritchie- Colin sign him now on a longer deal, £1m for this bloke isnt enough!. Ropes-gets better every game with Ritchie. Baird- Beats Bazeley any day of the week. Wracky- Ive always liked wracky people knock him with his lack of ability but he gives 110% for this football club!
UP THE SADDLERS!, im getting my ticket for Bradford tomorrow.
Well done colin (i bet youd never think youd hear me mutter those words?).

By needleandthread (81.128.18.82) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 12:39 am: Edit

Sheff admitting he's wrong, it's one of them barmy nights.

By freda (195.93.34.9) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 01:33 am: Edit

Excellent performance,not forgetting Jim.Was Merson taking the mick,with his attempted lob?From where I was,some distance away,a volley seemed the obvious/easiest.
Possibly missed Lozza!

By prideofthemidlands (62.31.216.69) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 02:07 am: Edit

My new web site has been up and running for a month nearly and nobody has really gave it the respect and time it took me to make it. The information is always up to date and being a proud saddler my opinion is 100% a fans view. Please take time to have a look. CAN SOME ONE POST SOMETHING OTHER THAN ME! Thank you for your time and up the saddlers.
http://supersaddlers.tripod.com

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.167) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 02:25 am: Edit

Quite honestly I'd say 6, 7 or 8 would not have flattered us too much tonight. I guess it's been a while since we had that number of shots, and so many on target or very close. The stats will be interesting to read tomorrow.

OK as C&D says (and I hope he won't mind me saying it's about time he gave credit where it is due - thanks for that) Notts Forest were no great shakes in defence, but he's right that it had much to do with the constant pressure put on them by Birch and co. That panicked them into errors, and it was great how we took advantage this time.

They weren't so bad up front and will surely cause other teams a lot of problems, but Roper and Ritchie in particular were just absolutely bl**dy magnificent, must surely be amongst the best defensive pairings in Division One. So Notts Forest were presented with few real chances, and their goal was disappointing and hardly deserved. How they went in at half-time at only 2-1 down is a total mystery.

I don't agree with C&D that we were fortunate to go 2-0 up, in fact by half-time 2-1 hardly reflected our dominance of the game and I was amazed that NF managed to pull back a goal, but like C&D I wondered what the 2nd half would have in store, so many times it can be a turning point and a one goal lead is always in doubt.

Well the rest is history, we dominated, we defended as a unit and even when we gave them the ball we denied them chances with superb defending - the one that stands out for me was Roper tracking Harewood all the way across the box from left to right (from their perspective), Harewood probing for an opportunity but Roper refusing to allow him the slightest sight of goal and finally getting in a telling foot to find a colleague who completed the clearance. Some of Roper's and Ritchie's defending had to be seen to be believed.

Great to see Birch get the goal his performance deserved - in fact he deserved more - like Sheff I have criticised the guy and doubted his ability to compete at this level, but the improvement in these last few games has been phenomenal and I am very happy tonight to say I was wrong - Birch has finally arrived on the scene, and I hope he now goes from strength to strength.

It's getting late, so a mention for Wrack - a player I've always liked despite the flack he's taken - another brace, another demonstration of total commitment and no lack of skill either - and all this while still playing out of position on the left when the right is his natural place. I hope his doubters will finally accept that he is a very crucial member of the team and like Roper and Ritchie should be amongst the first names on the team sheet.

All in all, a brilliant night.

Just re-lived the goals on Sky, a fine knock down with vision by Birch and opportunism by Wrack for the 1st, the 2nd goal from Osborne was by no means as easy as it looked, two yards out of the penalty area well out to the right, I've seen us miss the target many times from that range so great credit to Osborne for his quick-thinking and control of the shot, good control by Wrack as he probed for the shooting opportunity for number 3, and finally a magnificent through ball from Emblen to release Merson down the right, and an equally superb ball from Merson to pick out Birch for the 4th - and that was so well deerved by Birch.

MoM given to Wrack - great performance and 2 goals but I still think Birch shaded it tonight. But between them Birch, Wrack, Roper and Ritchie contributed so much, it's hard to separate them.

Notts Forest, 5 wins and 1 draw in the last 6 meetings tells us how far we've come, they must love us almost as much as Reading love us!

Proud of the lads tonight - VERY!

By Walsall Supporter (82.37.193.137) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 07:49 am: Edit

Just want to say WELL DONE LADS!! After Saturday they could of had their tails between their legs, but they came out like they did against Albion and Wigan, FANTASTIC!!

I was in the Bank's stand and trying to get everyone to sing by me, at 3-1 up we were still QUIET!!!

I can't remember leaving a match on such a high for a long time, really classy game, and really pleased ZIGOR came on, his cross almost got Merson to score what would of been our 5th goal.

WELL DONE THE LADS!!

By Mark W (81.132.237.123) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 10:00 am: Edit

Colin Lee got it spot on last night.I haven't said that very often this season.I was delighted to walk into the lounge before the game and see Lawrence sitting next to Bazeley.Lawrence was enjoying a few beers which confirmed he would not be figuring.(although he must have done the same on saturday before taking the field).
Fantastic performance with special credit to Birch,Wrack,Corica and the centre of defence again.

By hullsaddler (213.249.212.124) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 10:18 am: Edit

Sounded great on the commentary,must have been even better to have been there.
Am really looking forward to seeing the new dynamic Birch at Bradford on Saturday, as I've never thought much of him in the past

By Delves Saddler (194.73.163.108) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 10:42 am: Edit

What can I say that Geoff and others haven't said already. Superb in all departments. Defence, midfield, attack - excellent team work and closing down, quality passing. The most satisfying performance of teh season as it came off the back of a heavy defeat.

I work with a Forest fan who went last night, and he said defensively theye were sh*t, but he also admits we played really well. aside from taht he's not talking to me!

Re: the moaners Stuart C was talking about. I was sat next to a chap who spent the entire game, even when we were 3-1 up, moaning about this that and the other. First he started on Corica (who I am not a big fan of but I thought he did well lasy night), then on Merson (!!!!) then on the substitutions (and CL for them) then on Zigor (I said that it was good to see Zigor in his natural position and he quipped "yeh, on the bench" - Zigor shut him up though, with two excellent crosses so he started on CL again). This was all interspersed with negative comments about Jorge, who wasn't even playing. I was ready to issue a verbal tirade at him but I wasn't going to let some tw*t like that ruin my enjoyment of a fantastic Walsall perfromance. Why do this w*nkers bother coming to a match?!

Bring on Bradford and Palace - two poor teams in succession who we will put to the sword if we play half as good as we did last night.

By bangsection (195.74.100.167) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 11:10 am: Edit

What a fabulous performance. Birch was a revelation. I haven't seen a Walsall centre forward bully the opposition into submission like that since the days of Rambo. He gave Des Walker absolutely no respect. Ritchie and Roper were outstanding once again. Does anyone else feel that we are becoming a 'nastier' more ruthless team with players like Ritchie, Samways and Birch? This is the one quality that we've never really had as a team and if we're going to pick up points against Rotherham, Bradford, Palace et al then this newfound mean streak can only be a good thing.

By TJ (194.66.175.72) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 12:13 pm: Edit

Did anyone buy a programme?

By LarryHaggler (81.134.17.18) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 12:32 pm: Edit

We were Feckin Brilliant - Well happy last night.
Birch - unreal
Roper - a rock
Ritchie - best defender in division
Wrack - playin his best football for the club ever

and big up to the rest of the team for that outstanding performance last night.

By SheffieldSaddler (195.93.34.9) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 12:38 pm: Edit

Cant disgaree with the posts above. Still think we were wonderful, superb, brilliant. No negatives whatsoever, except we should have got 7 or 8
Just hope we can carry this forward to Bradford on Saturday and put our away record back on track. If we go out like we did last night, we can win it Saturday thats for sure.
If teams like Reading, Wigan and Forest cant cope with our new found confidence, how the hell can Bradford who have won just 1 of their 8 matches at home!

By Surrey Saddler (195.93.34.9) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 01:12 pm: Edit

Was in Walsall for the Norwich game but had to return back south so missed the goal feast last night. Heard it on Saddlers World however and it sounded just great. Must give Travel Inn a call and see if they have a place at Bradford.
To get back to my hobby horse- spent some time at the weekend looking round Walsall and taking photographs for old times sake. So, once again, when are you guys up there going to demand that the Overstrand is demolished forthwith. It beggars belief that something so indescribably tatty can block the view from the Bridge to Church Hill. Also loads of litter all over the place as usual. Write to the Council you lot. Walsall is a great place with lots to be proud of. It is also going places with the Townend development and of course the Super Saddlers- so why spoil it with tatty 60s developments and a mountain of litter

By Delves Saddler (194.73.163.108) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 01:19 pm: Edit

Although how many times have walsall flattered to deceive/disappointed us and got beaten by a poor team after putting in a good show against top 12 teams?

Having said that, I'm more confident now of us pulling off a run of results/performances than I have been in past seasons/earlier this season. And I have been told by Bradford fans that they are absolutely abysmal at the moment and Nicky Law is fighting to keep his job with the fans wanting Stuart McCall back as his replacement - Turmoil. Let's take advantage.

By PGtips (134.220.238.154) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 01:31 pm: Edit

I didn't buy a programme but did find one casually tossed on the floor. Perhaps a symptom of Walsall's litter problem Surrey? Anyway it's still crap. In fact probably even worse than the last time I bought one about four years ago. I felt like throwing it back on the floor.

Great stuff last night. Gary Birch has now eclipsed Leitao as first choice striker and has earned a run in the team up to xmas at least. Wrack was excellent and Ritchie/Roper were immense.

It is almost beyond belief that people can still moan after a night like that. It is only one or two individuals - there was one behind me who cannot help but groan at Wrack. These people have serious issues. Something surely is not right in their lives. sj please diagnose.

By Neil Ravenscroft (62.172.127.2) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 01:40 pm: Edit

Methinks we might be getting a visit from a certain Mr Vogts shortly. Scotland aren't that well off they can afford to ignore performances like Ritchie's last night.

By Dave Roe (217.37.14.235) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 02:13 pm: Edit

Who says 442 can't work ?

Birch, when the fans got on your back a month or two ago it was because they could see you weren't trying. Keep up the performances like last night and you will soon become a Walsall legend. Superb.

How unselfish of Merson to set up Birchy's goal. He could easily have knocked it in himself but he knew it would be better for Birchy (and ultimately the team) to boost his confidence by giving him a goal.

I even raved about Corica last night (which is rare). Mind you I was sitting close to one of his biggest fans (Sheff).

Talking of Sheff, can we all please donate some money to him for his upcoming operation ? After saying "While I've got a hole in my ar5e Birch will never make a first division striker" he obviously needs a colostomy bag fitting due to his hole healing up

By Neil Ravenscroft (62.172.127.2) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 02:20 pm: Edit

I'll join him, having said, many moons ago, a similar thing about Roper!

I'll quibble about it being 4 4 2, though, it isn't really, as Merson is lying deep. What you have with that formation and personnel last night, though, is Merson, Corica and Wrack all joining the lone striker. You have 4 out and out attackers when you have the ball (with either the full backs or the two holding midfielders in support) and 6 out and out defenders when you don't. It works well, as long as the players are flexible and is one of the few ways to fit Merson in. You do need the centre forward to play well and that is a tribute to Birch!

By WarsawPact (217.205.45.109) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 02:33 pm: Edit

Surrey:

Why have a go at the Council about the litter problem? Do you think we send teams of blokes out at night chucking bagfuls of rubbish about the place?

People shouldn't drop the stuff in the first place.

By Delves Saddler (194.73.163.108) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 02:55 pm: Edit

There is a 'Demolition' campaign on BBC Midlands Today, where viewers are asked to nominate a building that should be demolished. the overstrand has already featured in a report as one of the worst, so maybe it's time is up....

By PGtips (134.220.238.154) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 03:22 pm: Edit

Really? Lets all phone up and nominate Molinuex

By Steve-O (195.92.194.12) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 03:57 pm: Edit

Sheffield you are an IDIOT. I DID send you a cheque. I can't help it if it was lost or stolen on route. As I have said before, I always pay my debts and you are an IDIOT. Mr. Sheffield SAD, who thinks HE rules this board. I've forgotten more than you'll ever know Mr. SAD. I know who we are signing next MR. SAD, do YOU? I don't think so. As I've said before, I've had enough of the people on this board, with the information I've passed on to you lot you should be grateful, however it seems that NONE of you are. I've said it before, but this is the last time, Steve-o out. FOR GOOD.

By BescotBoyz (195.93.34.9) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 03:59 pm: Edit

Theres only one thing you can say about last night FANTASTIC!

By Delves Saddler (194.73.163.108) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 04:28 pm: Edit

How about FANBLOODYTASTIC!?

By Joe90 (194.60.38.11) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 04:41 pm: Edit

How about HASSTEVEOLOSTIT? Where did that post come from?

By BrumSaddler (62.30.234.65) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 04:52 pm: Edit

Can't tell you how much I am enjoying my trips over to Bescot at present. It's not that we are winning but the way that we are doing so. I came over last night in a train full of Forest supporters gloating over how they had beaten Sheff. Utd.(now 3rd), Sunderland (4th) and Norwich (5th). How on earth did they do it?
My only disappointment as with Wigan was the size of the crowd. Surely football like that deserves a better crowd than they are getting.

By SheffieldSaddler (195.93.34.9) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 06:22 pm: Edit

Steve-O - Calm down. You are getting far too excited. As Joe90 as said on another thread. Use your LITTLE brain and cancel the so called cheque you sent me and send me another. Not rocket science is it? Well maybe for you....

By Surrey Saddler (195.93.34.9) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 06:54 pm: Edit

Warsawpact- people from all places chuck rubbish about. It is no good saying what people should do, you have to react to what they actually do. In Walsall's case, there seems to me that little or no effort is made to clear the garbage up. When that happens the yobs who throw it around in the first place see it there and assume nobody cares and so have no qualms about chucking more down-and so it goes on. If the place is kept clean in the first place many studies have shown that people show respect and become proud of their environment. Also, have you not noticed that potential yobs direct their graffiti in the main at grotty buildings. As an example neither Sister Dora, that saddle or the nombelisk is defaced. Why? Because they are attractive, so the yobs see this and respect them. I bet my bottom dollar the same can not be said about the cheap and nasty Overstrand. Is it covered with graffiti?- I don't know but I expect so. The message is clear-create a pleasant environment and we all win- including the Saddlers.
UP THE SADDLERS

By Jorge14 (195.93.34.9) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 08:44 pm: Edit

We've arrived I think!

Last night was one of the finest performances from a Walsall side at this level of football ever. We weren't lucky, we didn't play great but only scrape a 1-0 win, we absolutely ripped "Promotion Contenders" Forest apart. Who remembers when we invaded the pitch because we drew 2-2 with Forest in the Coca Cup?

Credit to Cox, you came out and we big enough to give credit to the management team!

Birch was immense, also agreeing with Cox, he did indeed remind me of Rambo. A never say die attitude, fantastic touches and constant pressure. The pressure he put on Ward for the second goal summed up his performance. I called for him to get another chance eariler in the season, but I also must eat my words for criticising his scoring record!

Wracky is back to the form from the 98-99 season it would seem. He looks lively and his second goal was sheer class as he skinned virtually the entire Forest defence.

It seems as though Corica is back on form as well. He looked back to the way he played in his first 3 months at the club.

Merson looks a lot more settled and Neil, a great call there...Mr Vogts surely can't ignore Ritchie for long. Considering Christian Dailly is considered one of Scotland's best defenders, I really can't see why Ritch isn't in the squad...

I was speaking to a Forest fan at school today, he couldn't believe how good we were. Finally, we look to be getting some credit.

People could say that the Albion result was fluke, that we caught Wigan on a good day, the same with Reading. I don't think anyone can argue with last night!

By popperpancake (81.77.248.187) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 10:58 pm: Edit

Quibble off Ravenscroft! It's basically 442 or maybe 4411, but i actually think Merson doesn't play as deep as say Corica did when we played 4411 after the puny aussie first arrvied. We look more solid at the back and as you rightly say above we get more men into the box (which was my argument all along about giving 44whatever u wanna call it a go). I hope we go to Bradford and get right at them. They're obviously lacking confidence and we should see it as a good opportunity to improve our still disappointing away record. High tempo is what i wanna see.

By coxanddrummie (195.93.34.9) on Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 01:42 am: Edit

After hearing the sad news that O'Neil won't be returning to us in the near future at least i can't help thinking this is an opportunity for the likes of Corica to get his chance to stamp his authority in the side.

I for one have been very dissapointed with Corica in recent times and can't help feeling that he is a classic case of an enigma, his own worst enemy.

There is no doubt that he has lots of talent and ability but feel he lacks confidence to express it nowadays like he used to. Im not too sure whether he needs a kick up the behind or an arm round the shoulder but i do feel the form of Corica comes from the man himself. He needs to try and stop all inhibitions he has and become more self assured or even arrogant if it helps him deliver.

When he first came to the club he was superb and id love to see him reproduce that type of form now and i for one would give him that chance because for me it is now or never. If i was Colin Lee id get hold of him and say there, you have the shirt,keep it, express yourself and show everyone the real Steve Corica.

I hope it can happen for him because an in form Corica could be just the tonic for Walsall to push on into the top half. So no more holding back Stevie, lets see what we know your made of.

By JPD (203.18.34.5) on Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 03:45 am: Edit

Nice one C&D, its a good chance for him.
I agree about the inhibitions, he even looked inhibited vs WBA despite his great goal.
Maybe its just fierce concentration not inhibition.
The litter problem is an interesting one.
I saw a program on Darlington on the tele a couple of months ago and they have blokes going around slapping fines on people who litter. It creates much aggro, but it can only improve the place.
I don't think there's much civic pride in people these days, and I wonder what short of sh*t pits these litterers live in.

By Stu (13.16.137.10) on Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 09:24 am: Edit

Personally, I think Corica is a cracking little player. Fully agree about the confidence thing.

Then again, I thought he started the season off very well so I was a little surprised when he disappeared off.

He has been unfortunate in a way in that he isn't quite a central midfielder, he isn't a right midfielder/winger. So again, he is probably more suited to playing either off a lone front man (which we have Merson for) or as the one man behind a front two in wingbacks (which our players seem incapable of adapting too for some reason).

The bloke has bag loads of ability, creativity and vision. Hopefully he can kick on from here.

By popperpancake (81.134.73.189) on Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 10:33 am: Edit

Yeah i've always like Corica. I can see why he annoys some people, as he is sometimes lightweight.

By SheffieldSaddler (195.93.34.9) on Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 11:13 am: Edit

Corica is MAGIC. Give the bloke a chance and he will deliver. If he needs an arm round the shoulder, I will deliver. I am brilliant at motivating people to get the best out of them.

By coxanddrummie (195.93.33.12) on Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 11:20 am: Edit

I don't think YOU are the man to put yer arm round his shoulder sheff, he may just get the wrong impression.
Plus i don't thing getting a whiff of your body odour is going to help him perform.

By Stu (13.16.137.10) on Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 12:39 pm: Edit

C&D, is that an attempt at light hearted humour rather than a continuation of the 'love hate' relationship you and Sheff have going on?

Some may think your going soft in your old age and we may finally get a message board about football rather than you two arguing, insulting and fighting! And that goes for both of you.

By Tim Wilkes (172.186.156.221) on Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 10:13 pm: Edit

Just read this thread again while watching 'Hunting Chris Ryan'. Perhaps we could arrange a 'Hunting C&D' programme where Sgt Major Sheff - in camouflage gear borrowed from Geoff - tries to capture C&D as he sneaks into St Andrews.....or perhaps not?

Return to 2003-04 Season