Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Wigan (h) - League - 25th October 2003

Reports and reaction from the 2003-04 season as Walsall finished 22nd (R) in Division 1
Andy
UTS Regular

Wigan (h) - League - 25th October 2003

Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:38 pm

By HKSaddler (61.10.7.27) on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 04:51 pm: Edit

2 for Wrack. 2 for Saddlers. Sounds like an OK 1st half performance and an even better one in the 2nd half. Looking forward to reading comments from those who saw it.

By Surrey Saddler (195.93.34.9) on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 05:50 pm: Edit

Great stuff Saddlers. Bring on Norwich

By dave burntwood (81.106.181.31) on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 06:14 pm: Edit

Very good performance. Thought Birch did well 2nd half. Ritchie, Samways, O'Neil superb. Only negative thought. What happens when we lose the loan players?

By freda (195.93.34.9) on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 06:57 pm: Edit

Says oceans for Roper,Hay and Ritchie,that Horsfield and his mate were fetched off.Neither of whom were injured as far as I'm aware.

Excellent performance.

By Cal's a saddler (213.122.255.106) on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 07:24 pm: Edit

Thought Roper and RIchie were brilliant today keeping Horsfield and Ellington quiet. Hope the injury to Roper isnt too bad as he seems to work well alongside Richie

By Jorge14 (195.93.34.9) on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 07:43 pm: Edit

Spoke to a Blues fan about half an hour ago, he couldn't believe that Horsefield was in the pocket of our defense. I thought that Ritchie in particular was immense, probably my man of the match today.

Samways as always was fantastic. His vision and his fight prove the difference consistently.

Good to see Wrackster get on the scoresheet. He has his critics, myself included at times, but he got into good positions and looked busy.

A word as well for Birchy. He led the line well, looked to be able to cause the defence a bit of trouble and was unlucky that his goal was chalked off, as it was a solid finish.

Merse was involved, Ozzie was busy, O'Neil looked a touch of class again. Baird looked assured, Vincent looked to be at fitness and Walker, as always, was in good form if called upon.

Thought that we shouldn't get less than 7 points from this group of 3 home games, today was my tip for a point. Hopefully, we can build on this and get 6 points next week.

By cat3 (203.218.208.189) on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 07:53 pm: Edit

Norwich, we will "sandwich" them and cruise to another marvelous victory.

By Manchester Saddler (213.106.179.33) on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 07:59 pm: Edit

Was I being optimistic when I said we'd end up in the top half of the table after the three home matches? Perhaps I was merely being realistic. We can really build on this and string together a good run. Come on Walsall - prove me right.

I'm really looking forward to rubbing salt into the wounds of a very smug and arrogant Wigan fan I know on Monday. Thanks, lads for giving me the opportunity to do this. I look forward to the Norwich game and hope we're on the way up and up.

Come on you Saddlers!!!

By Walsall Supporter (82.37.193.137) on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 08:07 pm: Edit

I really enjoyed the match, second half I thought we played better as a team than we did in our opening match against Albion.
I had predicted a 2-0 win for us before I went to the match, and I certainly wasn't dissapointed.
Wasn't overly impressed with Vincent,but its early days.
Wrack's first goal was superb football, merse asked for the ball got it and passed it to Wrack who put it in the back of the net.
If we can play this well running up to Christmas, I see us near the play offs by then :-))

By cheese bag (81.135.124.121) on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 08:51 pm: Edit

Super Vinny, O'Neil - Future England Captain, Richie ouzes quality. Secong half reminded me of the Albion game. Still smiling.

By cheese bag (81.135.124.121) on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 08:54 pm: Edit

BTW, Birch, super upfront, chased well and always defended when needed, Well done....

By Stu (195.92.67.69) on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 10:18 pm: Edit

Cracking all round performance. I don't think anyone put a foot wrong.
Paul Ritchie is fast becoming a living legend, the bloke doesn't seem to put a foot wrong. After a shaky first 20 minutes, the back 4 soon got on top of Wigan's good movement.

Special mention to Birch who I thought was fantastic, held the ball up superbly, always looked to lay it wide or back when he got it and really worked hard. He looked like a player with confidence today, good on him.

Our last 7 matches now read W4 D2 L1, if we can go on and get at least 4, even all 6, from Norwich and Forest then we'll really be sitting pretty.

Superb performance.

By Exile (203.167.253.205) on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 12:46 am: Edit

Had a good feeling about this game and I'm ecstatic that we've got three points and dumped top-of-the-table Wigan.

Even better from our point of view, looking over our shoulders there were only three teams below us scoring three points, and those were at the expense of other teams in the bottom ten.

On to Norwich next - a team that has fierce home form, but looks supect away - they've won 7 (I think) out of their 8 three pointers at home, only one on their travels. Put that up against fortress Bescot, with a Walsall side finally looking as if they're capable of something other than making up the numbers in this division, and it should be a great match.

Cue huge disappointment and a three-nil loss

Nah - I reckon we're in for a win, just, at 2-1.

Cheers all,
Exile

By Welsh_Saddler (213.122.131.114) on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 02:51 am: Edit

lol Exile, you really are a tonic; was the suggestion of a 0-3 result something to do with a certain match against Sheffield Wednesday a couple of years ago??? We were expected to cruise that one as I recall, and on the day it went pear-shaped in a very big way.

The trouble with supporting Walsall is that it doesn't seem to matter how good the team plays, I always look at the next game coming up and think "We might just scrape a point out of that if we're lucky"....

However, the last few games have placed my mammoth bet (which I know I keep harping on about) on a fairly sound footing!!!

By Aldridge Steve (82.37.153.52) on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 09:39 am: Edit

Top performance - Ritchie was class, Wrack was excellent - on his wrong side again - but much better further forward.

The big difference for me - was the fact that we left Nerson and Birch up front at all times - even when defending, so when the ball came out there were 2 of them to hold things up - what a refreshing change.

Another 3 or 4 points from the next 2 games would do nicely.

By sj (195.93.34.9) on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 10:46 am: Edit

Tenacity and skill marked yesterdays performance. With Wraks engine and the youth of the new boys we now have the right mix of youth and experience. I think that this side can amass some points.

No backing off, running into postions to receive the ball, winning the second ball; yesterday was a joy. And we all just knew that Wigan were not going to score in the last 15 mins.

By SheffieldSaddler (172.190.157.117) on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 01:28 pm: Edit

Where is Dummie? No doubt hiding away thinking of of an excuse as to why we won? And as many negatives as he can think of about the performance!
Brilliant, best performance of season in my opinion. Birch, O'Neil and Osborn special mentions. Ritchie and Roper, brilliant! All those people who wanted to drop Roper earlier in the season, I think he has now answered you all. Working along side a player of Ritchies' skill and experience as really made him an even better player.
Best part of the day, the 13-8 offered on a Walsall win, had to have a 'few quid' on that.
Best laugh of day, the Wigan fan who I spoke to in the Saddlers club who when I asked "How many will you bring today" said "I think our full allocation, about 2000". LOL.

By redordead (213.122.72.217) on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 01:49 pm: Edit

Jimmy looked composed, defence looked solid and were only allowing wigan shots from outside the box second half, Vinny was awesome and merson must have arm ache having it in the air for about 60 minutes of the match, wrack was surely a contender for man of the match and birch looked a lot older then he actually is. Jorge looked like a man possesed when he came on. A very good all round display

By Jorge14 (195.93.34.9) on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 02:07 pm: Edit

I believe he didn't go Sheff, he had car trouble.

And whilst we're on the topic of people not being on the boards, where is Meir now that we're ahead of them in the league?

Also, how much do you think Pompey would want for Vincent? Whilst he didn't have too much to do yesterday, he looked calm and assured in possesion and his passes were accurate. Sadly, everything Zigor isn't at times.

By coxanddrummie (195.93.34.9) on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 02:48 pm: Edit

Im here win lose or draw, although i could not make it yesterday i hear it was a good performance.
With Wrack getting a couple of goals, ive always said he is too good a finisher to be left out of the side.

By freda (195.93.34.9) on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 03:52 pm: Edit

Jorge 14.It's all about opinions,and imo, I doubt Lee will be pursuing Vincent,and I think the current set up would see an improvement in Zigors game,with less responsibility on him.

Cheers.

By Delves Saddler (82.37.160.152) on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 03:55 pm: Edit

Continued where we left off at Reading, only better.

Birch had his best game for Walsall, ever! Superb, as were the whole team.

Two strikers (and 4-4-2 as a whole) is definitely working.

Wrack played as he did at Reading, the work horse for the front two, who, as I said after Reading, were left to do forwrds' jobs instead of having to track back constantly (a la Jorge). He showed great awareness for both goals which were very well taken and worked hard constatntly. My MOTM.

I was disappointed to see Emblen dropped after Reading but Merson's best performance for a while made up for that - it added a touch of class to what we saw at the Madjeski.

As ever, Roper and Ritchie were immense, but I was concerned about Roper going off - an achilles injury apparently - does anyone have any new on this?

A fine perfromance and result (Wigan only beaten once all season before this game, and that was at Millwall first game). I went away very satisfied and to top it off, I got to put more names to faces.

Good to meet you Dave Roe, Geoff and son Chris. Although, and you may not believe this everyone, all three declined the offer of a drink from me!!!

By Stu (195.92.67.209) on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 04:40 pm: Edit

Also, was it me, or did Jorge look like he'd lost a bit of timber?

He seemed a bit on the slimmer/fitter side.

By Marbles (195.92.194.15) on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 05:43 pm: Edit

Petty i missed it what a fantastic result lets make sure we dont let the hard work slip a joy to watch at last after the WBA start and then the inevitable slump, lets get safe by feb and see what comes when we can play with no pressure , samways & merse will revell in the freedon

Ever Hopeful

By popperpancake (81.79.80.94) on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 07:44 pm: Edit

Agree with most above. Good performance. Ritchie and Roper have now surely proved they are our best partnership at centre half. I would still advocate a shift in formation to 352 as u need and out and out wide man to play 442! Good stuff and a much nicer league position at the mo.

By popperpancake (81.79.80.94) on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 07:46 pm: Edit

Stu i commented that jorge looked leaner as well. My only criticism is that at half time i stood in a queue for ages then when i got to the front the hot water was knackered and i couldn't get me bovril. Poor. Oh and my seat is broken too.

By LarryHaggler (81.134.101.3) on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 08:51 pm: Edit

LIke everyone who went to the game I watched this Brilliant performance. Not a bad player on the day. My MOM Wracky, but superb performances from Mersiah, Vinny, Ritchie and Ropes and a special mention for Birch who worked his tezzers off.
If we play like that every week we will be in the playoffs !
Bring on Norwich

By LarryHaggler (81.134.101.3) on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 08:53 pm: Edit

Oh, was it just me or did the atmosphere seem non exsistant

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.170) on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 09:19 pm: Edit

You're right Larry, it improved once we went ahead, but I think there were a lot of nerves amongst us all in the first half, the game was looking like it could go either way. And even when we scored the first I think a lot were nervously expecting the usual retreat into our own half and for Wigan to step it up - thankfully it didn't happen, we kept on applying the pressure, which was great, and the second goal was the massive release of tension that we all needed. The atmosphere certainly hit much greater heights after that.

But for sure we do need to get behind the team and be a lot more vocal earlier on, but maybe the fans needed this, and maybe we'll still need another one or two good home performances before the belief will really come back for all of us.

One thing's for sure, if we get effort and skill off the lads like we saw for most of the game yesterday there'll be no excuse for us, if we don't sing and shout watching that, we never will !

One small complaint, it doesn't involve the players, but the team off the pitch. As well as the hot water that popperpancake has reported above, all the pies had gone by the start of half time in our corner. Loads wanted 'em, none could get 'em, why does the club keep on doing this and losing out on so much income ?

Re-fill the pie-heaters at the start of the match and they'll be full and ready at half-time - this is money we're talking about and we need all we can get.

So come on catering department, sort it out !

How great that all there is to complain about this week is the food and drink

By PGtips (62.31.220.199) on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 09:25 pm: Edit

The Horse had flu according to some reports I've seen. But take nothing away from Ropes and Ritchie who did a top job. Vincent may not have stood out but at least he can defend first and then think about supporting the attack unlike Zigor.

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.170) on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 10:00 pm: Edit

I agree PGtips that nothing should be taken away from Roper & Ritchie for those great performances yesterday. Maybe Horsefield had (or had had) flu, but is that just something put up as a smokescreen, surely he couldn't have been that bad or Jewell wouldn't have picked him would he ?

Vincent looked fine to me, every man out there yesterday deserves all the praise we can give 'em.

Top performance, deserved win, nobody should take that away, and the Reading win in the week should indicate it's not just a one-off - now for some consistency and we should be fine.

By Hairy_Saddlebags (172.187.88.196) on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 12:41 am: Edit

Larry, all season, the atmosphere has been crap until we score, even then we don't make enough noise.

That's the problem with all seater stadiums, all the singers are too spread out. When we used to stand on the Alsop, I knew that if I went in the middle behind the goal I'd be surrounded by singers.

I do try to start a few chants these days but as I sit on the back row of the Purple upper, it's hard to get anyone else to join in. If you heard somebody on Saturday trying to start a chant of "You are My Walsall" with a voice that sounds like somebody hitting a cat with a baby, that was me. ;-)

By Tim Wilkes (172.189.191.229) on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 01:08 am: Edit

Can someone please remind me - do we 'own' Richie or is he on loan (how long for?). The bloke is top drawer.
Apologies to Geoff et al for thr Friday night no-show. Nightmare journey followed bty the need to calm Cute KiwiSaddlers nerves with Vodka-shots in the hotel bar!

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.167) on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 02:01 am: Edit

We guessed Tim !

However, had you mentioned Cute KiwiSaddler before, we might have made that little extra effort to find this Hotel Bar where you found solace and, by the sound of it, Vodka-Shots!

So where did you stay then ? Roman Way maybe ?

You certainly managed to pick one cracking good game, could hardly have picked a better match than this one to come and watch.

Hope to catch up with you at the Saddlers Night Out on Friday 21st November - the venue is booked, all I need now is to confirm the numbers.

By Stu (13.16.137.10) on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 09:19 am: Edit

Ritchie signed a contract until the end of the season. I think we'll need a top half finish to keep him, but if he carries on at this rate even that will be difficult. The bloke is class, I wonder if Bertie Vogts is aware of his return to form.

By Chris Owen (62.31.217.15) on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 10:55 am: Edit

I can't have been too far from you in the Purple Upper, Hairy, and I was definitely joining in! Also what I noticed up there, apart from what seemed to be a pretty good atmosphere once we got ahead (sing when we're winning - us? Sure, but hell we don't get enough practice...) was almost no negative chants, no-one getting at of any of the players, no racism, and amazingly no bad language that I could pick up. Credit to all for doing it the right way. And why the hell was the place crawling with Plod? No needle apparent, no history of tension between the clubs, and yet we're paying out a fortune for lots of guys to sit around in vans?

See you next week, possibly with family in tow!

Fensaddler

By Bristol Saddler (217.161.104.2) on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 11:10 am: Edit

Didn't get to Bescot, but after celebrating the result, what really got me was when Sheff phoned to tell me that Birch got an ovation as he went off! Blooming Marv! He improved from the Tuesay then!

Up the Saddlers! Sounds like a great team performance and well done Wrackie, another player who recovered from a Tuesday nightmare! Bring on thr Canaries and we can make it three out of three!

Keep the Faith, but lets not get too carried away lads, that way, we set ourselves up to fail!

By Delves Saddler (194.73.163.108) on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 11:56 am: Edit

Still Can't agree that Wracky had a nightmare on tuesday, Bristol, but hey, that's old news now!

A fulham fan was on a five-live yesterday rightfully complaining about how every time fulham beat anyone, the opposiiton managers always come out and say it was their worst performance of the season.

I can empathise with this, as this tends to be the sort of response when we beat anyone, including Paul Jewell after saturday's game.

By Bristol Saddler (217.161.104.2) on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 12:42 pm: Edit

Delves agree with your comments about Fulham and Jewell! What also cracks me up is when managers of bigger/successfull teams blame injuries/suspensions/referees for their failure against a smaller team! Its like no-one else has those problems!

As for my use of the word 'Nightmare' re: Wrackie Tuesday, that was over the top, bad use of the word! (See my previous posts for what I actually meant).

Anyway Saturday can't come quick enough!

Incidently you can buy Baird for £2.7 million in the Daily Telegraph fantasy league!

By Delves Saddler (194.73.163.108) on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 01:09 pm: Edit

I can't wait for saturday either! It's perfromances like the Wigan game that leave you thirsting for more. let's just hope it's not a case of 'back down to earth with a bump'.

By popperpancake (81.136.153.180) on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 01:22 pm: Edit

Anybody else hear wrack interviewed on WM after the game? He basically said he found it uncomfortable playing on the left hand side, and also that he'd lost a few tricks since he came to Walsall (whatever that means). I just thought it was a strange interview, usually players will say things like "im glad to be in the side" as opposed to "i find it really difficult to play left side with me being right footed". What tricks has he lost and how can he find them?

By jim inger (193.131.67.125) on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 01:42 pm: Edit

The atmosphere in the purple stand seemed in the first half down to people at the back mooing when dairy lorries passed on the M6. It wasn't that funny first time, perhaps the football was not of a quality for these lorry spotters to keep their eyes on the pitch. Apologies to any Eddie Stobart geek's among you but lets watch the match not the Motorway.

By Ian Gittins (213.165.1.175) on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 03:23 pm: Edit

I thought we played really well on Saturday, in all areas. Samways, Merson, O'Neil and Osbourn were hard-working in midfield and great to watch.

I've never been a Wrack fan, and still think his technical ability and vision aren't Div 1 quality on occasions, but agree he added something we needed on Saturday in terms of sheer effort and work rate. He also took both goals well, especially the first one.

For the first time, I thought Birch might even be the answer to our striker problems. He had some really good touches, and was often first to the ball, which Leitao hardly ever is nowadays.

Interesting to see Lee say last week that he doesn't like the fact that Jorge vanishes right after training instead of putting in extra shooting sessions. Even more interesting to read Merson saying today that he's only just started to enjoy playing at Walsall, and he was tempted to pack in playing a month back. On Saturday's showing, I'm delighted he didn't.

By Delves Saddler (194.73.163.108) on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 04:47 pm: Edit

For those who haven't seen it, the full quote from Merson is:

"It's only now I'm beginning to enjoy my football again. It was great when I arrived here but I felt my fitness was dwindling and I wasn't really doing enough. But I quickly decided that the remedy was in my own hands, which is why I have been reporting for extra training for the past fortnight. The moment I know for sure I don't and won't enjoy playing, I will be out of the game the very next day. That's a promise."

Let's hope he continues to enjoy it for at least the season. His reactions to the goals on saturday seemed to suggest he is (in particular, the one-two with Wrack - he seemed really pleased that a move like that was pulled off a treat).

Interesting that about Jorge. I missed that one. Does this show a lack of commitment?

By Delves Saddler (194.73.163.108) on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 04:47 pm: Edit

For those who haven't seen it, the full quote from Merson is:

"It's only now I'm beginning to enjoy my football again. It was great when I arrived here but I felt my fitness was dwindling and I wasn't really doing enough. But I quickly decided that the remedy was in my own hands, which is why I have been reporting for extra training for the past fortnight. The moment I know for sure I don't and won't enjoy playing, I will be out of the game the very next day. That's a promise."

Let's hope he continues to enjoy it for at least the season. His reactions to the goals on saturday seemed to suggest he is (in particular, the one-two with Wrack - he seemed really pleased that a move like that was pulled off a treat).

Interesting that about Jorge. I missed that one. Does this show a lack of commitment?

By SheffieldSaddler (195.93.34.9) on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 08:12 pm: Edit

Dummie - Just tells me something about you this thread. We beat the top team on Saturday and you have posted a two sentence message about it.
How different it would have been if we had lost, no doubt you would have been on with a few paragraphs slating the players and Lee.
And you call yourself a Walsall fan! Blue Nose!

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.177) on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 08:16 pm: Edit

Lack of commitment, yes I guess that's how CL sees it Delves, otherwise I doubt he would mention it in this way?

It's unusual to see this kind of criticism released to all and sundry, I'd normally have expected it to be a private issue between CL and Jorge. So the fact it's come out like this is probably an indication that CL is really frustrated that Jorge is not playing well, not producing the goods, and not doing extra work for himself to try and solve his problems and regain his form.

By PT (213.48.245.65) on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 08:45 pm: Edit

I think it's just another example of top man management from Colin. He wants to get Jorge angry. Jorge is such a nice bloke and runs his heart out but have you ever seen him really wound up? Colin is looking for a reaction and if that means Jorge is angry with him, then its a start.

Saturday was fantastic. Great team performance and two well worked goals. I found myself looking up the table on Sunday rather than down it. Four points fom the next two games and we're solidly mid-table. Only worry is that three of our most energetic players aren't Walsall employees. I just hope that our Hampshire friends stay injury free and in reasonable form.

By coxanddrummie (195.93.34.9) on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 08:54 pm: Edit

Nice to know you are thinking constantly about me Sheff. I never give you a second thought.

By Jorge14 (195.93.34.9) on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 08:59 pm: Edit

PT, I don't think, to be honest, that Lee's tack with Jorge will work. WE all know that Jorge thrives on confidence...maybe saying what he said in the paper was the wrong move.

However, if I am proved wrong, and Jorge starts bagging in the next month, then fair to Lee. That will be top man management.

By Purple Pete (81.134.106.1) on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 09:11 pm: Edit

Spot on Delves about Paul Jewells comments he must have watched a diferent game to me. Wigan started the game with confidence, they were quick, sharp, passed the ball well, closed us down, had plenty of ideas and looked as if they deserved to be top of the table. No wonder we were not very noisy Geoff if everybody thought that. I said I just hope we are fit enough to keep up this pace for 90 minutes.

Wigan were in top spot because of the effort they put into the game and the fact that they have only lost 5 games out of the last 65 before saturday means they have probably played this way for a while.

I think Wigan did what they always do and on Saturday they met their match. We did everything that Wigan did and more, we finished off our good work. We matched them for fitness and looked the stronger side towards the end. I think Merson looked fitter than he has all season and our balance of youth and experience is right.

Wigan did not have a bad game they just came up against a very good Walsall side and we beat them. I have said all along that we can give any decent side a game. I also still think it is a very tight league this year and as long as we stay on the pace a few wins on the trot would make things look very different.

Plus I might get some money out of William Hill!

By Tim Wilkes (172.188.185.109) on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 09:13 pm: Edit

Actually, the reason we won was that Californian Saddler purchased some Walsall socks from the club shop before the game. Being from warmer climes, she was so cold at half time that she put them on...and the rest is history. I of course insisted that she never take these 'lucky socks' off, but that is perhaps unreasoanable, so I have suggested she wears them every match-day.
Naturally, after our next defeat [probably Decemeber] I will name and shame her lack of dedication to the cause.
7 of us stayed in the Travel Inn, Geoff. It was after 10 by the time we checked in, so I'm afraid we stayed put.
Anyway, to more serious issues..... are you Mr or Mrs Whiting tonight? Don't worry, your secret is safe with me!!!!

By ANoS (213.122.43.194) on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 09:26 pm: Edit

Drummie, why do you post on this message board? If you are a Blues fan, why bother? And if you're not, and are a Walsall fan, why do you let people say things about you? It might have been funny at the start, coming on here and winding some people up and stuff, but don't you find it a bit sad?

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.169) on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 10:50 pm: Edit

Thank you for that Tim, if this kicks off I shall make sure I insert a chop stick through your head on the 21st !

Christ the problems you can get for accidentally using the wife's e-mail address - priceless !

By Delves Saddler (194.73.163.108) on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 10:11 am: Edit

My worry aswell PT. We have to face it that we are not going to keep all three of our loanees (probably none of them), so what happens when they leave? I know this is looking at the negatives when we should be positive at the moment, but it has got to be a concern

By coxanddrummie (195.93.34.9) on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 10:38 am: Edit

Anos is that your weak attempt at trying to have a go at people that have a go at me.
Firstly i am a Walsall fan as any sane man or woman would have probably figured out by now.
Another thing you said was why do i let people say these things about me. Well how do you want me to stop it mate.
One last thing can anyone tell me how i set a topic up for debate, im not sure how you do it.

By Stu (195.92.67.67) on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 11:25 am: Edit

C&D, select Message Board Index from the drop down menu, then select Main Message Area from the right hand frame, scroll down to the very bottom and hey presto!

By Bristol Saddler (217.161.104.2) on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 12:10 pm: Edit

Coxanddummie! Walsall fan's don't suggest:

(1) That Colin Lee isn't fit to sell programs outside the ground.
(2) That the Bescot should incorporate a 'Thug Enclosure' and let the racist hooligans get on with it.
(3) That Colin Lee has no management, personality or motivational skills.

Also Walsall fans don't e-mail people on this site saying that they 'Support the Blues' so p*ss off will ya!

By popperpancake (81.136.153.180) on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 06:00 pm: Edit

Halsall back with the kids then in his Head of Youth role. New coach/assistant manager needed again. Wonder who we'll get this time.

By coxanddrummie (195.93.34.9) on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 08:11 pm: Edit

Id also have a block for inbreds so you can still come to the games Bristol. You can sit next to Sheff if that's ok with you.

By coxanddrummie (195.93.34.9) on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 08:13 pm: Edit

Thanks for that Stu

By Exile (203.167.253.205) on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 08:28 pm: Edit

In the interest of fairness, must point out that this is an open message board, and everyone's right to free speech ought to be respected. Can't remember who said it (maybe someone with a better memory can assist) but the relevant quote is "My friend, I disagree with everything you say, but I will fight to the death for your right to say it".

I don't agree with a lot C&D says, but to sit there and write "p!ss off back to Brum", or words to that effect, hardly lauds the liberal attitude this message board normally has. If anyone goes over the top I'm sure our moderator will have something to add on the subject.

Keep it up, C&D, who knows, one day you might come out with a gem of an idea that we all love!

BTW, I think there's already an inbred block, but it is full of Wolves season ticket holders

Cheers all,
Exile

By Delves Saddler (194.73.163.108) on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 11:45 am: Edit

Hear Hear Exile.

Coming to the night out C&D?

By Leamore Saddler (194.202.218.1) on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 12:31 pm: Edit

Exile

If my memory serves me correctly, it was Voltaire (a Frenchman who DIDN'T play for Arsenal!) whose quote you translated and paraphrased.

Delves

Yes, it would be good if coxanddrummie could come to our next meal!

By Delves Saddler (194.73.163.108) on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 03:55 pm: Edit

That would make for very interesting banter!!

By pedanticSaddler (203.168.166.27) on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 05:16 pm: Edit

I beleive that it is actually unlikely that Voltaire said the words attributed to him(in any language), although it is of his philosophy. The only place the words appear are in "The Friends of Voltaire", 1906, by S. G. Tallentyre. Voltaire lived from 1694-1778, so the author has no chance of knowing first hand anything that Voltaire may have said. It doesn't appear in any of Voltaire's published works. The standard translation is as follows:

"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it."

Of course, many on this board do not agree with Voltaire (see countless threads on racialism and sectarianism). I count myself as one of them.

By coxanddrummie (195.93.34.9) on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 07:28 pm: Edit

Me come out for a meal with you lot. Id be battered me thinks. I mean id take a few of you on, maybe 5, but if there is 10 of you i may struggle.

By Exile (203.167.253.205) on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 07:40 pm: Edit

Battered? They're going for a Chinese, not fish & chips!

(drum fill)

Cheers all
Exile

By SheffieldSaddler (195.93.33.12) on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 09:53 pm: Edit

Dummie, you would be very welcome on the night out. Try and make it.

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.177) on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 10:24 pm: Edit

C&D, no-one gets battered at a Saddlers Night Out, we are real Saddlers fans, and real Saddlers fans do not fight amongst themselves, preferably not at all, and especially when I am organising the proceedings.

I also happen to have a very fit and able black-belt at my side !

No matter what happens on the message boards, we can agree or disagree, it sometimes gets heated and people say things that maybe they shouldn't and probably, face to face, wouldn't. But believe me if (when) you sit down with us at the Night out for a meal and drinks, we will all get on like best mates. That's a guarantee and a promise - so come along and try it - you'll be surprised to find that the people you might regard as stupid, boring, brainless ar$eholes will turn out to be very sound guys and excellent company.

So what do you say?

By Delves Saddler (82.37.160.152) on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 10:26 pm: Edit

Join us C&D!

By Darth Vader (203.167.253.205) on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 12:10 am: Edit

Go to the Dark Side, C&D!

By ucow (212.137.57.25) on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 08:36 am: Edit

the only way c&d will get battered is if he has one or two to many beers!

By Dave Roe (217.37.14.235) on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 11:59 am: Edit

Sheff even got on well with sj. Now that's saying something

Return to 2003-04 Season