Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Reading (a) - League - 21st October 2003

Reports and reaction from the 2003-04 season as Walsall finished 22nd (R) in Division 1
Andy
UTS Regular

Reading (a) - League - 21st October 2003

Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:37 pm

By hullsaddler (212.50.181.51) on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 08:07 pm: Edit

Yes.Vinny Samways. Come on only 86 minutes to go

By hullsaddler (212.50.181.51) on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 08:09 pm: Edit

Sorry about date.24 hours & 8o minutes to go.

By Steve Roy (81.79.107.125) on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 08:10 pm: Edit

Emblem up front as well!

By hullsaddler (212.50.181.51) on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 09:52 pm: Edit

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By Cymru Saddler (81.131.221.180) on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 09:53 pm: Edit

yyyyyyeeeeeeesssss

By Cymru Saddler (81.131.221.180) on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 09:55 pm: Edit

dear hull

mine was more orgasmic

By Exile (203.167.253.205) on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 09:57 pm: Edit

YYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

By saddler in italy (194.6.9.129) on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 09:58 pm: Edit

YES YES YES OH YES OH YEs OH YES OOOOH MY GOD YES

NOW THAT WAS ORGASMIC

Always said that Emblen and Birch was obvious forward pairing

By notcoxanddrummie (203.167.253.205) on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 10:00 pm: Edit

One lucky goal, sat back, no clue, Merson invisible, both poor sides, didn't deserve anything, Lee out!

By Mksadla (195.92.168.171) on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 10:10 pm: Edit

God help us if we had lost. notcoxanddrummie would top themself's (with luck).
No pleaseing some people.
Merson was invisible as he didn't play through injury.What game where you deadbeat's listening too ?

By cat3 (219.76.64.2) on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 10:18 pm: Edit

Lovely~!!! We got balls to show the crowd we can win away games now... 1-2-5 away performance. Let's make it 2 this weekend... Go Go Sads!!!

By Exile (203.167.253.205) on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 10:19 pm: Edit

Mksadla - ever heard of irony?

By Stu (195.92.67.70) on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 10:21 pm: Edit

Ya beauty...

That run of away games brought 4pts, the target most of us wanted before they started.

Moved above Coventry, Stoke, Derby and Crystal Palace courtesy of that win.

Now for a tricky home tie with Wigan.

By Subtle Saddler (217.44.83.112) on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 10:23 pm: Edit

Mksadla - give your brain a shake mate.

Colin Lee is God!

By Mksadla (195.92.168.171) on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 10:31 pm: Edit

I'm missing somthing here, I never said anything about CL. All I said was it is a good job we didn't lose tonight. As some folk's would be topping themself's tonight.(No should be topping themself's).

By Manchester Saddler (213.106.179.33) on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 10:38 pm: Edit

And up to 15th as well. The Anti-Lee brigade will probably say this was a fluke - I hope not. I for one am delighted. With three home games coming up we could put together a run which may see us in the top half of the table. And yes - I am being optimistic - I realise that. But looking at the stats, our record at home isn't bad. Let's hope we win the lot (though that might be a bit TOO optimistic) and shut the C&D's of this world up for a while.

Come on you Saddlers and let's get behind the manager and the team!

By coxanddrummie (195.93.33.12) on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 10:59 pm: Edit

An excellent result which has truly suprised me somewhat. I heard the game on the radio and it sounded like Walsall controlled much of the game but for some shaky moments at the end. WELL DONE!
I have to give credit where it is due and that was a fantastic result but it must be built on. It's no good us winning sporadic games and not finding consistency.
It is also vitally important that the manager keeps a winning team to build a spirit and confidence.
As for my views on the Lee out issue, of couse they still stand, im not fickle enough to suggest that 1 game changes everything. As they have won this difficult game though i must give credit where it is deserved

By newmanagerneedednotjustyet (213.48.83.123) on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 11:50 pm: Edit

Well Done the lads!. We needed a win that would make the fans get behind them aain and this was it! We cannot get over pleased after what happened when we was on cuckoo land after albion, but well done birch,Ropes,Ritchie and samways. Actually well done all! Even Colin deserve praise for playing 4-4-2.
Anyway http://supersaddlers.tripod.com has been updated and so has the prediction league.
COME ON THE SADDLERS!

By newmanagerneedednotjustyet (213.48.83.123) on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 11:52 pm: Edit

WHAT A GOAL FROM VINNY! IVE JUST SEEN IT, A SWEET LEFT FOOT. Now will Lee leave Merse out on saturday, in a way i hope he does, it might show him we aint all revolving around him.

By Surrey Saddler (195.93.34.9) on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 12:06 am: Edit

MY UNBROKEN RUN CONTINUES. At the game tonight. As mentioned before I have not seen the Saddlers lose this season. Not only that it extends to last season as well. My run of luck is as follows: Reading(win), Watford(draw), Gillingham(win), Preston(win),WBA(win), Derby(win, last season), Gillingham away last season(win). Then we lost at Palace(O,Conner and Robinson sent off)That's 7 games without defeat. Sorry you guys I cannot make it to Wigan game on Saturday (except if offered seat in directors box and stretch limo transport- JB please note!)
Seriously though, we played well tonight. It was good to see Wracky back. He and Osbourne had great games. Rather a strange formation with Emblen up front and of course it does not solve our striker problem. We dominated in the first half. In the second Reading had 90% of possession as we defended in numbers. I do not really approve of this strategy and was waiting, nails being bitten, for 45 mins for them to score. But they didn't. I guess its what you call grinding out a result. Can't complain about the defence, however- they were superb. UP THE SADDLERS

By Tim Wilkes (172.189.39.6) on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 12:28 am: Edit

Just back from Arctic Reading.
Emblen superb, Ropes Majestic, ONeil Excellent, Vinny and Osborne solid, not too many anti-Lee shouts, although the bloke behind me who stated singing for Fryatt to come on with 5 mins left when we were 1 up away from home was quite funny!!
Oh yeah, Richie superb as well.
Actually, everyone did well....I am turning into steady Trevor Brooking!

By Crewe Saddler (195.93.33.12) on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 03:11 am: Edit

Just back, with a helping hand from the AA (no, not Alcoholics Anon.)

Too tired to post a full report, very good performance all round, just ecstatic at the result

By Jeremy Busby (210.86.29.215) on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 03:35 am: Edit

Any chance of a whip round to get Surrey to every match? I am happy to make a contribution from NZ.

By Herbie (62.190.22.163) on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 09:10 am: Edit

I had the pleasure of attending last nights superb performance. But Wait for it - from the Reading end (agreed to sit with a couple of Pals in exchange for B&B. Sitting Right behind the goal for a beautitful, cheeky punt from Vinny - and I saw it coming - ectastic. With a £30 punt at Walsall halftime Reading Fulltime (20-1) all happy at 45mins. Felt we might crumble after the dismal display at Watford (with the pleasure of sitting between Stu and Doffer) but it was a fine second half display - cannot recall Wacka being tested once, Roper did a sterling job on The Goat.
That was total football without the man Merse superb for the lads confidence were on the up, just look how Ipswich have turned it around since we paid them too much respect, here's hoping that performance of 9th August is match on Saturday a tough test but we're up for it.
Come on you Reds !!!!!!!!!!
(Who said Merson Player-Manager by Christmas ?)

By Bristol Saddler (217.161.104.2) on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 09:39 am: Edit

Petrol - £25!
Ticket - £20!
Lager - £5!
Chip Supper - £5.50!
Program - £2.50!
Vinny Samways Goal - Priceless!

Spoke to Sheff (who's abroad) on the phone as I walked into the ground and as he said we always get sommat Reading! Superb result! Nerves were frazzled by the end though!

Congrats to CL for playing 4-4-2! Herbie, Walker made a stunning save in the first half, the Ref gave a goal kick, when it was a corner (as all us in the Saddlers end could see that), he also held onto everything all night!

O'Neill, Osborn and Samways all played there socks off and had super games! Man of the Match for me was O'Neill, although Walker/Samways earned us the points! Infact my only disappointments were Wrack and Birch! Wrack had a poor first half and a slightly better second! Birch had dismal 90mins and still can't beleive he wasn't substituted.

But S*d all that. 3 Marvellous points and 3 more on Saturday! Congratulations to CL, who got it right with the players at his disposal and my only eyebrow moment was regarding the substitutions!

Can't see why Reading are as highly rated as they are?

F*cking Marv! UP THE SADDLERS!

Keep the Faith!

By Stu (13.16.137.10) on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 09:58 am: Edit

Bristol, very surprised to see you mention that you were disappointed with Wrack and Birch.

I couldn't make last night, but Kearns said he thought Wrack made a big difference coz of 100% work ethic whilst both commentators agreed that it was probably Birch's best performance in a Walsall shirt and that he played very well.

By hullsaddler (213.249.212.202) on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 09:59 am: Edit

Surprised about what you were saying about Birch as listening to the commentary,their opinion was that it was Birch's best game in a competitive match.

By Michael K (195.92.168.165) on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 10:39 am: Edit

Current form P6 W3 D1 L2, 10 pts. At that rate we could reach 76 points this season ie play offs. One Colin Lee!!

By popperpancake (81.136.153.180) on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 11:25 am: Edit

Great result last nite. It was something we needed to do sooner rather than later (win away that is) because the longer it had gone on the more attention it would have attracted and the more nervous everyone would have become. It's nice to have 3 at home now but they're tough ones IMO. If CL is gonna stick with 442 how do u think he'll fit merson in? As a striker? In the hole? Interesting to see i think.

By Bristol Saddler (217.161.104.2) on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 11:38 am: Edit

Hull/Stu - Very interesting to hear the radio side of the argument!

Wrack in my view didn't play well in the first half, gave the ball away too much and his mistake nearly let Reading in, but as I said in my previous post, he had a better second half! Yes he worked hard and thats why I applauded him at times, but too often he did the hardwork and made a mistake (particularly in the first half).

I have the upmost respect for Mick Kearns, but I can't echo his sentiments about Birch! In all fairness to him he did play well/okay for 25 mins throughout the full 90. But my main criticism was his lack of concentration and work ethic for the rest of the match. His was slow to the ball and not aware of what was going on, on at least three occassions he was passed the ball and realised too late and therefore lost it! I would love Birch to succeed (Christ we need him at the moment) and don't get on his back in games, but I have to say he was our worst player last night and can't understand why he wasn't taken off.

Incidently the vast majority of the fans around me, were really slagging Birch off, so I am not alone! However, to their credit this was not projected towards the pitch or player!

All in all it was a super performance! Emblem played well up front, put himself about and his physical prescence made a difference, he also did well in the air! Osborn I also thought had a great game and Samways was as good as ever and I'll never forget his 15 yard sprint (yep sprint) to win a 50/50 ball, which took all the pressure off at the end.

Michael K - Optimism is a fantastic thing and its great to see such a positive post! However, would point our shots on target or indeed off target were not exactly into double figures. Infact apart from Samways goal, O'Neil's disallowed goal, Osborn's inches over the bar shot from just outside the box and a couple of snap shots; can't remember much else! Not being negative after a good result and a good night, but just feel we ought to be realistic, as being realistic keeps the anti CL brigade in check!

UP THE SADDLERS! TOPS WIN!

By Bristol Saddler (217.161.104.2) on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 11:39 am: Edit

Popperpancake - Exactly what I was thinking on the drive back from Reading last night!

By saddla (213.122.69.217) on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 12:01 pm: Edit

"Im sure many of you feel we will lose tonight, personally i have no doubt."

Ha ha ha ha ha!

Well done Saddlers!

By Stu (13.16.137.10) on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 12:02 pm: Edit

Both Merson and Jorge will have to accept places on the bench in my view, although Merson probably won't be fit anyway by the looks.

My one complaint is that constant jigging of the side, players play with fear because they think one off day might see them dropped, thus they don't relax.

Hopefully we can get a settled side and give the players time to really gel, which I don't think we've done yet.

By Markly (217.205.174.216) on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 12:09 pm: Edit

I think the only way to accomodate Merson now is to play O'neil in the position Wrack played last night, and play Merson in the O'neil role, but will Lee want to drop Wrack who runs around for 90 mins?

By John Saddler (195.93.34.9) on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 12:15 pm: Edit

As a Saddlers fan living in Berkshire it was nice having to travel a mere ten miles to see the team. A superb performance from our defence but Emblen is no centre forward. He did his best playng out of position.
I agree with the comments about Wrack. He tried hard but made some glaring errors. There was one occasion in the second half when he was clear and on the edge of the Reading penalty area and for no reason he slipped and fell over (like Beckham's penalty miss)- no excuses as the pitch was in perfect condition. This, for me, summed up his night.
Well done Vinny Samways. Don't we miss him when he's not playing!
Living in the Reading area I have many friends who are Royals supporters. They tell me that they dread playing Walsall who they consider to be their bogey team. Long may it continue.

By beechdalesaddler (62.31.216.189) on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 01:54 pm: Edit

i think ritchie is the best signing by lee. Merson was the more shocking but Ritchie has been exceptional from day one, i think the partnership of him and ropes in a back four will be outstanding.

By Delves Saddler (82.37.160.61) on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 02:07 pm: Edit

Superb all round peformance IMO, and I generally concur with Bristol's comments.

As well as the return of Samways (superb and what we have been missing) and Roper (after the initial rustiness, good old fashioned no-nonsense defending) Emblen's presence made a difference, his harrying not giving their defence any time on the ball to distribute it well, hence our midfield picked up the loose balls.

Jimmy, as ever, showed why he is (along with Hoult) the best keeper in this division.

Defence - I questioned a back four when the Sunderland game started, but is starting to work well, particularly with Roper partnering Ritchie. Vincent was excellent - their right flank didn't get a look in - and Baird was back to his best, including some fine runs forward. John Salako, in their programme, talked about units within the team working well and our defence was a highly effective unit.

Midfield - Superb, and no other word for it. Yes, Wracky misplaced passes on occasions, but his tireless work rate meant that the front two could concentrate on their roles rather than having to drop back. It would be interesting to see Jorge play with Wracky in the side, then maybe Jorge would be able to do the same and produce the goods. Samways (my MOTM, just ahead of Emblen and O'Neill) and O'Neill were excellent and even Osborne had one of his better games. (Goater kept dropping deep to help out with their midfield as they couldn't cope).

Forwards - Emblen, as I have said was very close to getting my MOTM. Harried their defence, held the ball up well and good in the air with knock downs. He never looked like scoring, but in all fairness to Stu this proves his point that this is the type of striker we need - and until we have got that striker, I would stick with Emblen. It's just a pity that, aside from the odd spell, Birch was a poor partner for him and failed to take advantage of the work Emblen did. Birch has no pace, more often than not when he got the ball we ended up going backwards as he has no imagination (or is it confidence) to play it forward or to shoot on sight. In hindsight, I would like to have seen Fryatt or Jorge partner Emblen, but we all know the benefit of hindsight.

One change (Fryatt for Birch) and we will pull off the results we need over the next 4 games (Bradford are very poor). I hate to say it, but I would keep Merson on the bench for Wigan (if fit). We haven't missed him these last two games, and if we need more creativity, then bring him on for Osborne.

I was, and this is no exaggeration, overjoyed with the performance as well as the result at 90mins (even the referee was decent and favoured us!!!). The passing and movement was an immense improvement on recent games and there were signs of the type of footy we played against Albion. A tremendous confidence booster. Let's just keep it up.

By Delves Saddler (82.37.160.61) on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 02:28 pm: Edit

And, for your info C&D, the team looked extremely motivated and up for it, first and second half - CL obviously gave them the right mentality and attitude (see the pre-match notes on the official website).

"A performance of great determination and endeavour" as the official site says, and I wholeheartedly agree - this will be down to two things - CL and the presence of Vinny in the team, who is a real inspiration, more so than Merson.

By Delves Saddler (82.37.160.61) on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 02:44 pm: Edit

Couldn't have put it better myself about Roper/Ritchie. From the E&S:

"But the most heart-warming feature of the night was the birth of a central defensive partnership that could just give Lee a rock to build on.

Supporters knew of Ian Roper's battling qualities before his month-long injury lay-off, and in his absence Paul Ritchie showed a similar dogged determination.

The thought of pairing the two had always seemed appealing on theory, but last night they delivered - big style. "

By Bristol Saddler (217.161.104.2) on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 03:59 pm: Edit

Agree with everything Delves and E&S said!

Fryatt for Birch on Saturday and Merse on later in the game to volley the winner from Emblem's knock down!

By reading saddler (81.6.227.79) on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 04:37 pm: Edit

"work commitement" left me in the kitchen at the new mill restaurant as walsall played reading at the nearby (for me) Madjeski stadium. Alas i did not get to witness thy match. However customers that night were constantly complaining at the sounds of moi with shouts of no, come on and yes. No i wasn't having sex i was indeed tuned into the blaring radio. Upon tuning onto bbc berkshire i heard the commenter say Nicky Forster scored a penalty late into injury time....(the head chef and me exchanged worried looks).........last saturday (phew). Thankyou walsall you have made my week i shall now go visit all the reading fans i do know ( which is alot) COME ON SADDLERS

By Delves Saddler (82.37.160.61) on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 05:36 pm: Edit

Gloat on, Reading Saddler.

By coxanddrummie (195.93.34.9) on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 06:49 pm: Edit

I have a feeling that there is a conspiracy about the win last night. My comments are inspiring the team to perform. It has just dawned on me.
Colin Lee is pinning my words on the dressing room wall beforehand to help with team talks.
I don't mind just this once but feel as i contributed to the result,i should get the praise by taking over the manager's position.
Forget my choices for Dowie Cotterill and Merrington, im the man.
When you read this jeff, give me a call you know my number and you can some more of where that came from last night, salary negotiable.

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.170) on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 07:30 pm: Edit

Well c&d you're certainly improving, you're becoming funny as well now mate.

Amazing how an away win at a massive club lifts the spirits !

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.170) on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 07:30 pm: Edit

Well c&d you're certainly improving, you're becoming funny as well now mate.

Amazing how an away win at a massive club lifts the spirits !

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.170) on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 07:31 pm: Edit

Oh no not twice again - this is crazy.

By freda (195.93.34.9) on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 09:46 pm: Edit

Is it an oversimplification?. 442 better than 351's,Christmas trees,etc.

Defenders primarily defend.Midfielders midfield (in various guises),and strikers strike,hopefully.

And Jim is Jim.

By cat3 (219.76.96.9) on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 07:44 am: Edit

3-5-2 counterattack from left and right wing are the best tactics of all at present. 4-4-2 is the past, it is still very useful though when your midfield sucks and defensive backs are invulernable from a faster pace and dribbling forward.

By Neil Ravenscroft (62.172.127.2) on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 08:28 am: Edit

And, I hate to say it, Merson is very difficult to fit into a 4 4 2.

By sj (195.93.34.9) on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 08:33 am: Edit

Just fit him into the second four.

By Neil Ravenscroft (62.172.127.2) on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 08:44 am: Edit

He doesn't work hard enough for the centre and isn't a winger. It has to be 3 4 1 2, or a "diamond"

By Delves Saddler (194.73.163.108) on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 10:34 am: Edit

4-4-2 won us the game on Tuesday, and you should never change a winning system. Aside from my preference for Fryatt over Birch, the players should stay the same too.

As much as Merson is an exceptional talent, surely we should keep it as it is until CL sees the need to stick him on. As Stu has said, it's all about building self belief and if we are going to pander to bigger name players by bringing them back as soon as they are available again irresepective of how other players have performed (all very well), then this is going to have the opposite effect.

By cat3 (218.102.125.21) on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 10:59 am: Edit

Merson, O'Neil and Corica are the attacking midfield in centre, Vinny is the defensive back along side with Emblem containing everybody who dares to attack us. Matias, Wrack, Osborn and Oakes will ride the wings. We can score in 100 different ways with our strong midfielders. They are a bunch of "Experience midfielders" and I think getting the ball upfront isn't too hard with our midfield calibre. Merson lacks speed, but he's a better passer and scorer. Corica and O'Neil will link up the attack upfront with Leitao, Gary or Fryatt.

We are still a little light at the back, but we will manage for the swap when injury does occur. WE can beat nearly everyone in this league. Our midfield is superb! There's hardly anyone who can top us when comes to midfield. We really do have a chance for a spot at playoff berth. We just need to believe and link up all the guys together and play like a team. A team of "total football" like Merson said...

It's vital to inject that little spark inside the game. We are all for play and for fun on the field. That will create some sort of creativity and make footy a better game I suppose. At the end of the day, why are we here, right? We not only love Saddlers but we love the game of football. It's certainly fun to be in a matchup.
Therefore, let's start kicking some butts this weekend. Let send Wigan back to their wagon!!! Go Go Sads!!!!!!!!

By Delves Saddler (194.73.163.108) on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 12:20 pm: Edit

"Let's send Wigan back to their Wagon!!!"

Quality stuff cat3.

By Stu (13.16.137.10) on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 12:51 pm: Edit

You've been on the herbal again by the looks of it.

"really do have a chance for the play off berth"? Are you getting Championship Manager mixed up with real life?

"There's hardly anyone who can top us in midfield"?

I wish that was the case, we might create a few more chances then.

Lets not let 1 result let us get too carried away, people have already made that mistake once before this season.

We've got Wigan (H), Norwich (H), Forest (H), Bradford (A) in the next 4 matches. We need to capitalise on those and just give ourselves some breathing space, 8+ points should be the aim.

By popperpancake (81.136.153.180) on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 02:10 pm: Edit

I've lost count of the number of times i've said how great cat3 is.

By cat3 (218.102.39.132) on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 07:08 pm: Edit

Stu - We can win everyone by mastering "total football!" All 11 guys dribble and pass in motion. 3 seconds is all you need to advance, play with "electricity" or just with dancing rythum... At the end of the day, football is fun and when we have that blueprint in mind, I can assure you footy is absolutely lovely. We will definitely score lots of goals. That's an honest oppinion by the way!!! Think not of yourself, but care for others (like your own teammates and breed that connection together), we will get that all sorted out on the field... Eye contacts... very important.... that's a winning formula...

By Question (213.1.45.2) on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 07:24 pm: Edit

When did we last start with 11 British players before Reading?

Return to 2003-04 Season