Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Watford (a) - League - 14th October 2003

Reports and reaction from the 2003-04 season as Walsall finished 22nd (R) in Division 1
Andy
UTS Regular

Watford (a) - League - 14th October 2003

Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:32 pm

By hullsaddler (213.249.214.44) on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 08:00 pm: Edit

What has happened to the internet coverage? Am having to listen to Chelsea-Blues on 5 live for scores.

By hullsaddler (213.249.214.44) on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 08:06 pm: Edit

Finally coverage started

By steelmass (80.225.88.233) on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 08:46 pm: Edit

come on lads 1 nill osborn

By Stu (195.92.67.69) on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 11:22 pm: Edit

I try to refrain from too much criticism, but tonight was a shower of fricking ••••.

A most spineless, gutless, passionate-less display of nothingness if ever I've seen one.

Both sides were atrocious and a point to each team is bloody daylight robbery. If I was the FA, I'd be investigating both teams on the charge of "impersonating a professional football team" and looking to dock both teams points.

From the top:

Formation:

Sorry to say I told you so, but as I've said here many a time. To play 2 up front, then we either have to play a back 3 and 2 wingbacks for the width or play 2 holding midfielders to compensate.

Tonight, we played a flat back 4 with the two most defensive fullbacks I've seen in a long while. Both O'Neill and Lawrence looked shackled by fresh air as neither had the usual vigour to get forward as usual. Instead, they played a deeper role and tried to hold the middle with Osborn.

It was as affective as a chocolate teapot.

Mr Lee:

Please tell me you saw those huge gaps on the flanks tonight? If not, then forget standing on the touchline and sit in the ba$tard stands where you'll see the pitch.
Watford exploited the space down each flank, thank god they were cack otherwise they'd have mullered us.

Walker - The phrase "no mans land" comes to mind on the goal. Strolled off his line to a ball that he was never going to get and Baird was helpless.

Baird - Didn't look the attacking threat we know he can be, didn't stand much chance with the own goal.

Ritchie - Didn't have anything to do. Watford were •••• up front.

Hay - See Ritchie.

Aranalde - Zigor's aimless punt gave them the possession that led directly to their goal. How difficult is it to tell professional players about possession of the ball. If you have it, you can't concede.

Lawrence - Shackled by his position, looked uncomfortable, no affect.

O'Neill - See Lawrence, but even worse.

Osborn - Possibly the only player to come out with any credit seeing as he was the only midfielder player in our team. Good looping header for the goal.

Merson - No service, no output. Missed Samways.

Leitao - Ran hard, no service to Merson means no service up front. Defensive fullbacks meant no crosses either. Poor bloke didn't stand a chance.

Fryatt - See above, but posed no threat at all. Just as I said, against a decent centre back his pace and movement will be negated. Marcus Gayle had him in his pocket until he went off. Not Fryatt's fault as he had no service, but he didn't look ready to me.

Watford - The biggest shower of •••• I've seen this season, we were the 2nd biggest shower of •••• I've seen this season.

Positives:

1) We played bloody awful and got a point. (But it could be said that we must be bloody awful not to have taken all 3).

2) I was home 40 minutes after kick off. I feel sorry for the few hundred Saddlers who came down from Walsall.

Summary:

••••, ••••, ••••. No presence, no passion, no creativity, no guile, no nothing. I think the only reason some of our fans clapped them off at the end was because they felt obliged to. Personally, I'm tempted to ask for a refund.

To my recollection, Watford did not have a SINGLE SHOT on goal in 90 minutes. The anonymous Bruce Dyer put a flicked header wide and Baird scored their goal.

For us, Merson had a tame lob saved, we scored the goal and Danny Hay missed a sitter after 90 seconds, unmarked 6 yards out and he side-passed it to Chamberlain. I can only presume he was surprised to see the ball go through the useless Watford defence.

fudge tripe.

Rant over.

By Tim Wilkes (172.188.146.170) on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 11:27 pm: Edit

Truly awful game between two poor sides. Bloody hell, I hope Samways doesn't miss too many more games this season.
As usual at Watford, Super Jim had a nightmare moment and cost us a goal [or so it seemed in real time, have not seen a replay].
Fryatt did OK, as did O'Neil and...er...that's about it.
It was like watching a kids game...every goal kick [and there were LOTS!!], all the players compacted into about 15 square yards...hopeless.
Still, an away point I suppose, and I sat directly behind Doffer!!!!

By Stu (195.92.67.69) on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 11:27 pm: Edit

Delves,

Nice to meet you, although for some reason I thought you were Dave Roe (sorry) as I've seen you many a time down the Saddlers Club and thought you were Dave Roe... Ooops...

I know Fryatt didn't put a foot wrong, but I don't think he had the movement or brain to cause a decent centre half problems. Which was my point exactly.

Mind you, I'd like to see us play Fryatt when we have two centre halves that actually cross the half way line, or two wingers with pace that can reach the touchline.

I still can't quite believe it, bloody ••••.

By popperpancake (81.77.79.234) on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 11:57 pm: Edit

Having not been and not listened to the coverage on WM, i was gonna come on and say at least we got a point (which is an improvement at least away from home). But Stu's reaction makes me think we truly must have been awful. Not like u that Stu. Sounds like we'll need to be better on saturday.

By Surrey Saddler (195.93.34.9) on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 11:57 pm: Edit

I dare say a point away from home is a positive achievement but I came away disappointed. Why oh why do we persist in giving the ball away and failing to keep possession. There were times when we looked half good but these were only moments and we never took the game by the scruff of the neck. I could see very little movement off the ball and when we had possession it was a case of hopeful balls punted forward or the guy in possession desparately looking for someone to give the ball to. Never were we in full control and against a poor Watford side that is not good enough.

By Walsall Supporter (82.37.193.137) on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 07:26 am: Edit

I was keeping an eye on all the scores on Sky Sports 1, and when it went to the reporter at the ground, it was before Osbourne had scored, he said "This match needs a goal, there was a minute silence before the match, but I think the fans think it is a 90 minute silence"
That made me think OMG what a poor match!!!

But at least with the final whistle a point.......

By bournemouthsaddler (80.3.164.4) on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 08:57 am: Edit

Mark Macgoo 'sacked'by Milwall. Couldnt have hapened to a nicer fellow. Another club that thinks it is bigger than it realy is.

By coxanddrummie (195.93.34.9) on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 09:15 am: Edit

I don't think you can take a positive out of taking a point against a struggling Watford side and after taking a one goal lead. Sureley you cannot be happy with that!. After all when will we ever get a better chance of winning away.
Ive heard a lot of tales defending colin lee on here by coming out with the fact that he has built a better team than we have ever had before but the facts are they are in the same position now as what they were when he took over.
I hear these statements from fans that we are more of a proffesionally run club now. Well if that is the case why is it not reflecting on the field.
I actually beleive that the players we have now are easily capable of giving us a mid table finish this year. All players need guidence and leadership though and thats where it falls down. Colin Lee is clueless. he has ran out of ideas. We are becoming increasingly stale because of his management or lack of it.
I beleive the one major quality that a manager should have is the ability to transmit confidence to his players. Looking at us right now it seems that confidence is not there at all. I think morale is very low at walsall at the moment and i really don't think that Colin Lee has the personality or the skills to lift it.

By Neil Ravenscroft (82.37.184.96) on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 09:25 am: Edit

Let's get McGhee, then. Knows the Division, did wonders with Millwall . . . . .

By Stu (13.16.137.10) on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 09:40 am: Edit

Must admit, very surprised to see McGhoo get the sack.

For all he is a moaning old jock, I think he is a half decent manager.

C&D, good point for your boys last night. Just 5 goals conceded in 8 matches this season, thats an impressive defence you've got at St Andrews.

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.169) on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 09:47 am: Edit

Just who do some of these clubs think they are? I've no liking whatsoever for McGhee, but I think this action by Paphitis is well out of order.

His club are eighth in Division One, only six points behind leaders Sheffield United, I'd say Millwall are over-achieving if anything, and have been for quite a while. One or two fans on Sky are saying they'd be looking for a play-off place and would be happy with that, well there's only 12-13 games gone and they're only two places off that, so what's their problem?

They got into the play-offs once and it's gone to their heads, now it seems they must think it's their right to be there, and can expect at least that every year. Well football ain't like that and realistically a club their size should be more hoping for it than expecting it year on year.

As you quite rightly say bournemouthsaddler, another club that thinks it's bigger than it really is. There's a few clubs like them around, they build themselves an over-sized stadium, then suddenly acquire this big club delusion.

Our dear neighbours Stoke get a load of criticism off us ( including plenty off me ) for their big club attitude, but for sure even they have more right to play the "big-club" card than Millwall, Reading, (another one), Cardiff (about to build a 60,000 seater stadium down the road from the Millennium Stadium??) etc.

Are these chairmen trying to build a football club, or a monument to themselves to be remembered by, long after they're dead and gone ?

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.169) on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 09:52 am: Edit

Agree with you Stu re the Blues, excellent point against Chelsea, and excellent overall this season - tell your lads "well done" c&d.

As for us, I'll take the point from one of our traditional "bogey" grounds - I hoped for 3 (as always) but would have taken 1 before the game, so I'm reasonably happy.

By Alan (195.74.100.165) on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 10:30 am: Edit

Interesting to read a Watford fan's view of last night. On their Rivals site one describes us as 'desperate' and their own team of being even worse!!!

Maybe it was two points dropped then...

By popperpancake (81.136.153.180) on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 10:34 am: Edit

Agree with Geoff about the sacking of McGhee. Very harsh.

By Lisa J (195.92.168.165) on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 10:38 am: Edit

Geoff, Stoke took 200-300 to Wigan last night. They are getting slaughtered on the Oatcake. Im not so sure they can justify claiming to be bigger than Wall or Reading.

By Stu (13.16.137.11) on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 10:57 am: Edit

Alan, t'was definitely two points dropped.

I don't think we'll see a worse side than them this season and I don't think they'll see a worse side than us this season.

I notice Colin Lee said he wouldn't have wanted to pay to watch that last night. Does that mean I can send him my ticket stubs and he'll give me a refund?

I'm sure all the players can contribute a £1 each to make up the price I paid.

By cat3 (219.76.96.5) on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 11:31 am: Edit

1-1 draw.. I was expecting more than a tie.. oh well, gotta admit we need to freshen up our offense and tighten our backs. Leitao needs to get more practice and regain his confidence back. If he plays like this, I am doubtful he will get 10 goals by end of the season.
Anyhow, we will win a pretty one on our next challenge.. Go Go Saddlers!!!

By Alan (195.74.100.165) on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 11:52 am: Edit

To be honest Stu, we know it's bad when you say it is!

I mean, you always manage to see positives in most games (where most of us concentrate on the negatives) so if you're struggling to find something good to say, I'm glad I stayed away.

By Alan G (195.93.34.9) on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 12:11 pm: Edit

We were apalling last night. As bad as I can remember for a while (and we've been pretty bad all season). A few questions/points which I hope some of you may agree with;

Why can we not hold possession for more than a minute?

Why do we persist with Leitao up front (and I dont want to blame him as I understand the lack of creativity, support etc and the fact that there is no-one else but there is no way this guy would score 15 goals even with support)?

Have we ever named an unchanged side this season apart from for the Carlisle game after the WBA match?

How many formations have we tried (and failed with)?

Why did we play with 4 central midfielders?

Why do we persist with Zigor? His passing is atrocious, he cannot defend and the way we played last night he wasn't even allowed to attack. Wouldnt someone else be suited to left back (ritchie?)

Why do we suddenly discard half-decent players for no apparent reason? Corica, Oakes, Roper (yeh I know he's been injured but surely should have started last night). Corica and Oakes could both retain possession a lot better than we did last night.

Why do the players not have any enthusiasm, life, pace or seemingly a will to win at times?

I could go on...I realise some people will say we've got a better points total than this time last year, better squad etc etc and I have been a big admirer of Lee and the way he has turned us into a seemingly 'proper' Division One Club but I look back on the games at Crewe, Millwall, Burnley, Bolton, Ipswich and tonight as well as at home v Carlisle, Gillingham, PNE (to a lesser degree) and none of these matches were particurlary entertaining and we didnt really play well in any of them.

By Ian Gittins (81.132.226.119) on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 12:43 pm: Edit

No question, last night was disappointing.

The team lacked cohesion, shape and ideas. They looked wrong from the start - a flat back four, three midfielders crammed into a tiny central area of the pitch with Merson prowling in front of them, no width. Little creativity going on.

If we are going to play 4-4-2, or a near variant on it, surely we need Pedro, or somebody else who can play wide left. We had nobody there last night, which meant Zigor was often exposed, very unfortunate as he had one of his worse games for a while.

Merson's first touch and promptings remain a joy to watch, but Jorge is hopelessly off form and is beginning to look very limited and easily snuffed out. Fryatt had a few nice touches, but no chance to do anything of consequence.

The worst failing was the attitude, though. I lost count of how many times defenders with nobody showing for them punted the ball aimlessly up towards Jorge (and, therefore, straight to the oppostion). Nobody was running to receive the ball at throw-ins. We conceded possession very cavalierly at mind-numbing intervals. For the last 20 minutes, too many of our 30+ midfield brigade just looked knackered.

It's frustrating because we have so many class players in the team now, and we're not making the best of them. I'm going to Sunderland on Saturday fearful that I may see a dreadful tonking - on last night's performance, we definitely will.

How would I change it? I'd go back to three at the back, with Richie, Emblen (don't know why he keeps getting dropped) and Hay/Roper. Aranalde at left wing-back, Baird at right, both instructed to attack. Two midfielders sitting tight in front of the defence, with instructions to feed Merson - Osbourn and Lawrence or Oakes, in the absence of Samways. Up front - God knows. Jorge looks tired, Birch has yet to impress, Fryatt is worth another game. BTW, whatever happened to Corica?

The worst thing is, as somebody above said, Watford were wretched beyond belief. On that form, two relegation candidates, and no mistake...

By Stu (13.16.137.11) on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 12:48 pm: Edit

Couldn't agree more there. I'm a fan of Lee, I think he has turned round the mentality of the club.

But, there is no denying that the collective sum of the players talents is nowhere near the individual sum of the players talents. He is yet to get us firing on all cylinders this season, bar Albion.

For the first time last night, I found myself doubting him to be honest. I've harped on about the change of formation many a time, why was there any need to change? So what if we were lousy at Burnley, we won the two prior to that.

With the players we have, we can only really consider playing wingbacks. So I wish he'd stick to it.

We are wasting a golden chance to really establish ourselves. Must admit, its got to the point where I'm losing interest and faith.

I'm fed up of hearing players saying "We've had a heart to hear", Lee saying "We've worked out where we are going wrong".

If thats the case, why isn't anything changing. Thoroughly pissed off with it all. Two of the lads from my footy team are Watford fans, they were in agreement that both of us need to buck our ideas up or we'll be seeing each other in Division 2 next year.

By hullsaddler (213.249.212.128) on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 01:33 pm: Edit

My son rang me after the game & said a poor game between a poor side (us) & a dreadful side (watford),& it was 2 points dropped not one gained,which obviously supports what others have posted.
Didnt sound much like the famous 4-4 draw.

By hullsaddler (213.249.212.128) on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 01:40 pm: Edit

Part of report in daily telegraph
"Not even a gusting wind or slippy surface could be blamed for an opening 45 minutes in which both sides seemed determined to justify their credentials as candidates for relegation"
Oh dear,oh dear.

By Maximus (213.48.83.114) on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 03:36 pm: Edit

And hearing the fans ring up radio stations and slag the players off and reading what the fans say about individual players in the threads on various sites will really boost the confidence of the team won't it. I go to every game home and away and I have to admit I have a brilliant game every week in the stands. Its when the team are up against it that they really need your support, I know you all pay your money and are entitled to your opinions but c'mon you are supposed to be "supporters" (Look in the dictionary for the definition of "supporter"

By newmanagerneeded (62.31.216.126) on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 03:43 pm: Edit

Look in the dictionary for the definition of "overrated bunch of ar5eholes", because thats what most of our players are. Merson,Hay,Osborn,Corica,Bazeley,Lawrence,Samways. They have all played either in the premiership or for a team at the top end of this division its about time they stopped going in for tackles half heartedly and give 110% for WALSALL FC!
id rather have a team full of dean keates,an injured martin o'connor and ada viveash they might get beaten alot at this level but at least they gave 110% to this club, unlike alot of pathetic overrated players at this club.

By Neil Ravenscroft (82.37.184.96) on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 03:50 pm: Edit

We would, of course, be in the second division, if that were the case.

By newmanagerneeded (62.31.216.126) on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 04:03 pm: Edit

I know we would, but id rather be in the 2nd division say 2nd or 3rd winning 75% of our games in a season than strugling in division 1 with players THAT SHOULD put this club in the top 10. Millwall have just sacked Magoo because he wasnt living up to expectations of fans and they are 8th. God knows what will happen to Colin now we are 17th? Hes had a lot more money to spend on wages, why did bonser say he was going to help him with more signings?. Lee has had alot of money to spend, on paper we have probably got a top 10 team. Like a few wolves fans said the day we appointed CL, "he has poor motivational skills and poor man management", those quotes are taken of this board. LEE has got three months in my mind to save his job!

By Maximus (213.48.83.114) on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 04:36 pm: Edit

You may be right in everything you say "newmanagerneeded" but we still need to get behind the team at every opportunity, the fans can play a part in raising the spirit in the team and it is a certain fact that slagging off the players and booing them whilst they are on the field or off it does little to help. I feel sure we all have the best interests of the team at heart and I agree that sometimes they don't deserve our support but I find it very difficult not to get behind them during the game

By Delves Saddler (82.37.160.61) on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 06:21 pm: Edit

Stu,

Ditto. Good to meet you too, although I did walk away wondering if you realised who I am due to Doffer's sh*ite social skills (I don't think he introduced me properly!)!! Sorry I had to shoot off so quickly - our driver was understandably eager to depart Watford!!

I entirely agree with your assessment of the players bar Fryatt (and I am not saying this just to justify my advocacy of the lad).

I really thought he and Osborne were the only highlights of our f*cking awful performance. Fryatt was starved of any service/support whatsoever (i'll get to that later) yet he still showed some bright moments. He was good in the air and actually proved he is strong enough to deal with a challenge as he held off defenders and even knocked one off the ball who was a lot bigger than him. He IS a clever enough striker - he is constantly running into the right areas, but the ball he (and the fans expect) is not being played. The formation also did not lend him any help. We played a flat back four with no width in the middle and and out of sorts merson. Jorge was once again getting drawn into defensive duties (he needs to quit this annoying habit) and leaving Fryatt alone up front on too many occasions, which has been part of my argument for dropping Jorge and playing two strikers. I still believe (and have always said)that in the right formation (3-5-2) we will produce sufficient quality of service/support to the front line for Fryatt and Birch to bang in the goals we need (I say Birch 'cos there is no sign of us signing Burchill or any other striker).

The defence - centre halves had nothing to do and 3 at the back would have easily dealt with their front men whilst giving us width in Zigor (it's obvious now his best position is at wing-back) and Baird (can't criticise him too much as he has otherwise been excellent for us).

The midfield - aside from Osborn, non-existent. I think you are been too kind to Lawrence, Stu. He is dreadful. Did nothing all night and has done hardly anything all season. The paper says he did lots of running but what is the point of that if it is like a headless chicken with no idea of where to run to. O'neill was poor, but he is obviously a quality player from previous matches (one game doesn't make a bad player).

Merson - I am probably going to be shot down for this, but he was poor again. My comment at full time was that he is intelligent enough to be in the right place at the right time to receive the ball but his passing and approach play was poor and he looked completely not the player from the first few games of the season. Have we dug ourselves into a whole - we can't drop him (imagine the uproar) yet I think at times we are too one dimensional when he is on the pitch in the 'hole'. Because a large chunk of the play passes through him when we are going forward, is this why we aren't being inventive enough with our play? I would drop him back into the 5 man midfield I (and others) would like to see rather than play him in the 'hole'. That way, at least the play can be 'spread out' more with Merson at the heart of it (the playmaker rather than the attacking link in the 'hole') and with O'Neill, the wing backs and Merson providing the runs from midfield.

Attack - drop Jorge (see above) and play Birch and Fryatt. Jorge just seems to have lost the plot completely. Doesn't know if he is a striker or a defender. Lots of running but, as with Lawrence, completely fruitless.

I would play (and, bar Emblen, this is the side and formation I have always put down as my preference):

Walker

Roper, Ritchie, Emblen

Baird, Samways, Merson, O'Neill, Aranalde

Fryatt, Birch

Oakes would be my preference if O'Neill were to leave (Oakes is an excllent passer and if Merse wasn't here I would play him) and Bazeley should Baird leave anytime soon.

By Stu (195.92.67.76) on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 07:24 pm: Edit

newmanagerneeded,

How narrow minded and short sighted are you?

You would honestly prefer 2nd division football to 1st division football?

Have you any ambition, any desire, any will to succeed?

You'd rather Colchester, Luton and Hartlepool than Sunderland, West Brom and West Ham.

Also, can I point out a major flaw in your theory. If you'd rather see us in Division 2 winning 75% of our games than struggling in Division 1, do I presume you'd like to see promotion cancelled then. Winning 75% of matches (about 35 games) would give us over 100pts and the league title, therefore straight into Division 1.

Its fans like you who I really don't understand. Why bother coming? You may as well just stay away, that'd be best for yourself, the team and the other fans

Division 2 over Division 1, I really do presume your taking the ••••.

By Purple Pete (81.134.100.53) on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 08:22 pm: Edit

Good post Delves.

I agree with you that you need to play a formation to suit the avaiable players in your squad. Arenalde is not a good left back without Pedro in front of him but does play well as a wing back when he does not have to work so hard at his defensive duties.

The team you suggest is the one I would play at Sunderland and my only worry would be playing two youngsters up front, however I cannot really think of an alternative. I would definately give Fryatt another chance and I think I would throw caution to the wind and play someone out of position alongside him. Corica, Lawrence, Oakes, anybody sharp with a bit of pace, a bit of confidence and the abilty to get round the defence and place a ball where Fryatt wants it.

Sunderland will be tough and we can expect them to play football so lets give them a game. I dont care what all the Doom and Gloom merchants say, on our day we can play. I still think we have a better chance against better sides and as we would probably take a draw now, whats the difference lets try and play a passing game and get a result.

All teams have a good run and a not so good run of results. However, this division is still tight at the moment and if any of the teams in our position can string two or three wins together then they move up the table rapidly.

Lets keep the faith, as long as we stay amongst the middle pack a run of results at any time would place us in a good position.

Blimey, if the team had half my confidence there wouldn't be a problem, I wonder if they want me to travel with them on the coach.

By Mark Davies (195.92.168.167) on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 09:37 pm: Edit

In truth I always admired the general level of optimism expressed on this site but it was always going to come to this. Does anyone still believe Merson and the all the other midfielders were of more value to us than a proven 1st division forward?

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.177) on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 10:07 pm: Edit

Before you have an answer to that Mark, which proven 1st Division forward are you referring to ?

By Surrey Saddler (195.93.34.9) on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 10:32 pm: Edit

Did anyone at Watford last night notice all those guys in suits and smart ties ?. The match was so poor that I got to looking round at fellow sufferers and there they were. Who are you then? Traders on the Futures Market? Stand up and be counted then. More to the point have you any money? If so pass it in the direction of Bescot Stadium- we need a striker- and fast! Relying on Matty will not do.

By coxanddrummie (195.93.34.9) on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 10:51 pm: Edit

I see some people seem to have finally had enough of this pathetic man that we have as a so called manager. There are some that say he has 3 months to save his job. I wouldn't give him 3 minutes.
The people who back this man and think he is good for walsall football club, well you are all blind,it's not even a matter of opinion anymore, you are WRONG. The man is simply CLUELESS. He is fastly turning us into a team of NO PASSION, NO ENTHUSIASM, NO CHARACTER. Does this remind you of anyone. yeah he is turning us into clone of himself.
I implore and urge every single saddlers fan to now consistently call for this mans sacking for the good of the club.

By CovSaddler (62.105.116.202) on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 08:02 am: Edit

Coxanddrummie first appeared on this message board at around the same time that Meir Stoke disappeared. Coincidence ?

By walsall woody (195.93.34.9) on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 08:09 am: Edit

It seems to me Drummie you are getting a bit more support on your views re new manager, good on yer, be positive

By Stu (13.16.137.10) on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 08:24 am: Edit

Surrey, I was one of them unfortunately. I was the poor sod sitting next but one to Doffer, I even got the better half to come along as well and she didn't enjoy it.

Cox, shut up now, at first you were amusing, now your just boring. Go back to St Andrews please...

By Delves Saddler (82.37.160.61) on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 12:48 pm: Edit

PP - the reason I would play Fryatt and Birch is that they have an undedrstanding from playing so often together at reserve and youth level (this showed at Bolton, albeit briefly).

No comments on my post, Stu?

By Stu (13.16.137.10) on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 01:00 pm: Edit

Delves,

That is the formation I'd like to see us playing most, with a couple of changes.

1) I still say that to play Merson and 2 up front, you need two holding players. I thought that was obvious from Tuesday.

Neither Lawrence or O'Neill looked as good as they had previously. But, I do think we need a 'busy body' in that role, so I'd probably plump for O'Neill, but I wouldn't shackle him.

O'Neill would provide the energy and legs for Samways and Merson. But, I'd go attacking and not tell him to hold position, if he wanted to push on I'd let him. Best form of defence is attack and all that.

2) Birch & Fryatt. Not in a month of Sundays I'm afraid. Talk about bread and butter for the centre halves. I thought Jorge had a decent game on Tuesday, bearing in mind he had no service. Having someone like Fryatt would mean that Jorge doesn't have to do as much leg work, therefore he'd be fresher and maybe more alert.

So, its pretty much what I've been wanting us to do anyway. No need to say much,

I've had a premonition about Sunderland as well. Last time we played them in the league, we were lousy in our previous match (losing 7-1 at home to Chelsea, and we had a striker making hid debut, Stuart Rimmer.). They were flying high, we were in awful form. We promptly run 3-0 with a Rimmer hat-trick.

This time, we played lousy in our previous match (although not as bad as Chelsea) and we had a striker making his debut. Thus, what chance a victory with a Fryatt winner?

By Dave Roe (217.37.14.235) on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 01:59 pm: Edit

I hope you behaved yourself Delves, I wouldn't want Stu to have gotten the wrong impression of me

I was very briefly introduced to Stu once in the Saddlers Club (left a lasting impression obviously )

If Stu says that he has seen you many times in the Saddlers Club I bet when I meet you I'll say "Oh, you are Delves". In my experience nobody from the messageboards looks anything like the picture you imagine in your head.

Where is everyone drinking prior to the Sunderland game ?

By Stu (13.16.137.11) on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 02:28 pm: Edit

Dave, my memory of faces is pretty useless. Imagine Jorge Leitao's current finishing standards multiplied by 5.

I'll buy you a pint if you find me in the Saddlers Club before the Wigan game as way of an apology, and I don't do that very often (either apologise or buy pints).

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.173) on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 03:31 pm: Edit

Dave, when Stu says "I'll buy you a pint if you find me in the Saddlers Club" - well that little phrase "if you find me" is a clue - it means that he'll actually be hiding from you

Check under tables, up corners, behind small groups of supporters - that's where he'll be - I bet he won't be out in the open with a high-visibility jacket on if there's a pint at stake !

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.173) on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 03:31 pm: Edit

Dave, when Stu says "I'll buy you a pint if you find me in the Saddlers Club" - well that little phrase "if you find me" is a clue - it means that he'll actually be hiding from you

Check under tables, up corners, behind small groups of supporters - that's where he'll be - I bet he won't be out in the open with a high-visibility jacket on if there's a pint at stake !

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.173) on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 03:33 pm: Edit

Sorry, but I have no idea why that has posted twice - I did NOT hit the button twice - and it did not warn me that I had.

By Bristol Saddler (217.161.104.2) on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 04:06 pm: Edit

Cox and Dummmie is a tw*t and a Blues Fan!

Lee to stay at least for another month and see how we are! Two reasons for this, who would we get in, okay McGhee possibly, but who else? Also paying Lee off and getting someone else in, costs cash, which is something (like away wins) we aint got!

Incidently current points return would keep us in the division, just! Which okay we are aiming for higher, but lets not panic, theres a long way to go, as long as we improve over the rest of the season!

Although I have to say after reading Stu's post which is normally positive has made me really depressed!

By popperpancake (81.136.153.180) on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 04:20 pm: Edit

icBirmingham are saying that we received an approach for Fryatt but turned it down (we're building for the future apparently). Who do you reckon it was? Real Madrid, Chelsea, Barcelona, Milan? Who knows.

By Dave Roe (217.37.14.235) on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 04:39 pm: Edit

I must admit to thinking things must be bad if Stu has taken a negative tone. I think a lot of us look to Stu to point out some positives whilst the rest of us give up and wallow in self pity.

Don't worry Geoff, if there is a free pint on offer I will find Stu. I'm well known for sniffing out free pints

By Purple Pete (81.136.226.144) on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 07:13 pm: Edit

Whats all the panic - if the ref had blown the whistle 45 seconds earlier in the Cardiff game we would be in 14th position just below Coventry on goals for. Win 2 out of the next 3 games and we would probably be close to the play offs.

I know he didn't and I know that if pigs could fly bacon would go up but my point is that it really is that close and a slight improvement in our fortunes will make a big difference.

Lets get behind the team and more than ever behind Colin Lee. The team is fairly new and have had 13 league games to gel which is not easy when things are tough. Trust Colin Lee I know he can get the team winning soon. I know my last post was a bit desperate in striking options and another quality striker soon would great.

And before you put your drink down Dummie, dont bother, you must know we are on to you.

Anybody else, other than Dummie, got an opinion on this?

By Exile (203.167.253.205) on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 07:49 pm: Edit

Stu - if you go in a green coat then Dave Roe will think you're Geoff, and you'll be spared having to buy him that pint. Only question is, is it worth it?!

By Dave Roe (81.131.186.29) on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 09:49 pm: Edit

Bloody hell, it would take a hell of a lot of make up to make Stu look as old as Geoff

Seriously, I've met Geoff a fair few times now. One of the first times we met he paid for my chinese meal, so no jokes about green coats from me (for tonight at least).

By coxanddrummie (195.93.33.12) on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 01:13 am: Edit

Ive had a good laugh at your comments bristolsaddler. Your views on football are pathetic to say the least.
First you say that colin lee should get another month to get it right. err not consistent with your back lee stance is it.
Second you say we can't get rid of lee because he will cost us money, what shall we do then dwindle away into obscurity until we can afford to get rid of him, ha ha.
Third you say possibly mark mcghee is the only man who could take over. My word that is ambition ain't it, ha ha.
Then you mention that u are really dissapointed cus of some man called stu has posted a negative message, does he do your thinking for you then, ha ha.
I won't rub it in any further bristol. Im sure you are already aware that your not the brightest spark around and the fact that you have a Bristol connection sort of confirms that

By Neil Ravenscroft (62.172.127.2) on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 08:54 am: Edit

What a complete tosser!

By coxanddrummie (195.93.33.12) on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 10:56 am: Edit

I couldn't agree more Neil, indeed he is.
Ive finally found someone who agrees with me. Im not sure wether im actually happy about that due to the mental capabilities of such people that use this board.
However Mr Ravenscroft, i couldn't of put it better myself on your evaluation on Bristol.
Well perhaps i could have but thats another story eh.

By Neil Ravenscroft (62.172.127.2) on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 11:15 am: Edit

Did anyone ever inform you that you are badly in need of a sense of humour transplant?

By popperpancake (81.136.153.180) on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 12:06 pm: Edit

Where's salopsaddler gone?

By Dave Roe (217.37.14.235) on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 01:15 pm: Edit

Where has ShifnalSaddler gone ?

If I say "I think Darren Wrack is by far the worst player ever to pull on a Walsall shirt" I'm sure it will attract a response

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.171) on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 01:57 pm: Edit

"Im sure you are already aware that your not the brightest spark around" - I can hardly believe that even someone like c&d has the cheek to aim this remark at Bristol Saddler! Talk about the pot calling the kettle black! I won't mention the grammar either, or he'll probably accuse me of presiding over an English lesson.

As I've said before, doesn't c&d just love himself? I can do no better than echo Neil's earlier response - "What a complete tosser!" - and yes c&d, every one of us including yourself obviously knows he was referring to you.

Could you not just sod off back to St Andrews? Though what the Blues have ever done to deserve you, God only knows.

By Dave Roe (217.37.14.235) on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 02:03 pm: Edit

He'd be less welcome at St. Andrews than Alpay !

By Delves Saddler (82.37.160.61) on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 04:44 pm: Edit

I must admit, I don't recall ever seeing Stu down the Saddlers - although I only tend to go in after a game these days and am usually vociferously airing my opinions on the game to friends so I don't tend to notice people around me!

Anyway, Stu, why do you feel the need to apologise to Dave for thinking I was him - I am sure Dave would take it as a compliment!!! (I'm fishing for free pints now!!)

Totally agree Purple Pete - when watching the match lets all get behind the team and CL and will them on to results and perfromances we all know they are capable of. It's a fine line between success and failure sometimes, and we have been treading that line recently. If we step up a gear and the players do the same, we'll be fine.

By Delves Saddler (82.37.160.61) on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 04:50 pm: Edit

The people I have met off here so far (to my knowledge) are Belgian Saddler, Stu, SJ (!) and I've known Doffer for quite a while. You couldn't get a wider variety of folk anywhere (aside from the Walsall FC connection). No surprises at how people look though.

By Mksadla (195.92.168.171) on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 10:37 pm: Edit

mksadla is moving back to Walsall area soon (Cheslyn Hay).So hope to meet some of you soon.

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.177) on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 10:15 pm: Edit

Mksadla, will that be in time for the next Saddlers night out in the second half of November?

By Cannock (62.31.216.124) on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 10:16 am: Edit

Cheslyn Hay!!!! Oh dear.

By Cal's a saddler (81.131.115.106) on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 11:11 am: Edit

Do you really have to move to CHeslyn Hay? Its such a rough area full of very odd people! Isnt that true Cannock??

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.172) on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 11:13 am: Edit

Yeah Cal, I can certainly think of one !

By ucow (195.93.34.9) on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 02:52 pm: Edit

welcome to the village Mksadla! the new inns is quite a good wartering hole as is the top club and the marry rose and the dog as of the others i carnt realy coment on as i dont use them but hopefully i should see you in one of the above mentioned places that serve tummbeling down warter!

By Mksadla (195.92.168.171) on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 09:17 pm: Edit

Cheslyn Hay has no roadhump's unlike Cannock which must be the capital of the roadhump.(this his wife), I need to meet someone too, have a strange southern like accent(meaning I'd like to meet saddlers wives.)
Would like too but need to know well inadvance due to work.
You'll have to excuse the wife.
Been in the Collier's, the Tolbot :-( and the New Inn.
As for old I'll drink you under table any day boy.

By Andy (213.48.83.100) on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 09:33 pm: Edit

I have started to use the White Horse in New Horse Road, new couple in there, started this week I think. Young and pleasant, beer has improved and Chris (the licensee) is asking people what they want. Will get to be a great pub for football fans I think, Chris used to play for a league club but I can't remember which one.

By Mksadla (195.92.168.171) on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 09:37 pm: Edit

Did notice a few Dingle's on our vist to the house.Explanation of last post, wife would like to meet wife's of saddler's.
I would need to know in advance of date and venue for night out, but second half of November sound's good.

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.164) on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 09:06 am: Edit

The night out is not yet arranged Mksadla, but we have discussed on here changing next time from the (so far) traditional Wednesday to a Friday night so that some of our more distant Saddlers friends will have a better chance of getting here to join in.

With this in mind, as the only Friday in November with a home match the next day is Nov 21st - Crystal Palace at Bescot on the following day - I'm proposing to set Friday 21st as the date for the night out.

I'd appreciate some feed-back now, from the regulars and also from the others who'd like to come but haven't been able to make the mid-week events before, to let me know if this is to your liking.

I'll post this on a separate thread and also over on tsfc.com. I'll hopefully catch up with as many of you as possible in November.

By SheffieldSaddler (195.93.34.9) on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 01:48 am: Edit

Well Dummie. You really are a joke. I am glad CL proved you wrong at Reading.
Go back to the Blues.

By Hypocrite Hater (195.74.100.165) on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 10:29 am: Edit

Belt up Sheff, we all remember how you called for the head of Graydon (two months before the Play Off Final).

What's the difference???

By SheffieldSaddler (195.93.34.9) on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 10:49 am: Edit

Your information is incorrect, thats the difference!

By TotalRecall Saddler (217.44.83.70) on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 09:10 pm: Edit

So what is the correct information then, SS?

From my own very sober recollection, the only incorrect part of HH's observation is that you actually started your Graydon out campaign five months before the play-off final.

By SheffieldSaddler (195.93.34.9) on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 09:16 pm: Edit

Erm. 2 = 5.

Return to 2003-04 Season