Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Preston (h) - League - 20th September 2003

Reports and reaction from the 2003-04 season as Walsall finished 22nd (R) in Division 1
Andy
UTS Regular

Preston (h) - League - 20th September 2003

Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:29 pm

By Stoke_Saddler (194.66.175.70) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 05:13 pm: Edit

Relief

By why aye (194.6.9.129) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 05:24 pm: Edit

Thank fork for that , how did we play? More positive?

By dave cake (80.195.139.3) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 05:51 pm: Edit

just got back.
Better.
New boys played V-Well.

Got pasta for tea. Mmmmmmmmmmm!

annie is on channel 5
bye bye silly sausage!

By sj (195.93.33.12) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 06:25 pm: Edit

Good and bad today.
Good---- three points, two fab loan signings, played 4-4-1-1, Richie is a gem. The team played very well for 70mins.Lee brave enough to make changes

Bad--- Lee is not the sharpest knife in the drawer, so slow to make subs when a change is clearly needed. Pedro should have been off; too small too weak, too slow and not brave enough. When they scored we needed to stiffen the midfield and continue taking the game to them. why oh why can't Lee see this? Trouble at club, there is a rumour that Corica stormed off and a rumour that before match Lee had three games to turn things around. And the "badest" thing the loan players are off in four weeks.

But overall better. Lee needs support now because at long last I believe that he understands what is needed to turn the season around; it still could be very very good.

By gray ellwood (81.131.221.171) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 06:41 pm: Edit

Oneill was AMAZING!!

Baird wasn't far behind.

A very good performance apart from the last few minutes where we were very defensive and negative again.

As much as i hate saying it Leitao was anonymous all game. Zigor made some silly mistakes as did pedro.

Do you not think we could keep the Oneill and baird for longer?

By beechdale_saddler (62.31.217.62) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 06:56 pm: Edit

Jorge was only annonymous because the man doesnt play well without someone who he can relate to, another striker upfront with jorge will settle it.
It looked like we played 3-5-1-1, zigor (donkey) with ritchie (class), emblen (just as good), with Baird (weve actually found someone who can cross a ball) and Pedro as wing backs. With Lawrence,O'Neill (you can see why pompey can see him as the next Joe Cole) and Vinny (what a goal) in the middle. With Merse (best game since albion) behing Jorge (battled but still didnt prove what we know he can do). A little bizarre point why was there only 12 outfield players and 2 goalkeepers out for the pre match warmup, there was no Merse?
That was better, still dont know why Lee does a graydon and sticks 11 men behind the ball to keep the ball out, best form of defence is attack. More confident now with the Gillinham game, we can win and start this season off!

By freda (195.93.33.12) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 07:26 pm: Edit

Good performance.Both new guys skillful and competitive.Feel sorry for Jorge.Whatever the reason,be it tactics,fitness,or whatever,he ain't at the races.Lionels mistake for the goal I think. Looked like we should have conceded pen,first half,maybe someone in the Purple could enlighten us.

Mrs Aranalde,a stunner,he must stay.

Half time entertainment,very imaginitive ..........$%&**

By freda (195.93.33.12) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 07:29 pm: Edit

or even,imaginative.

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.176) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 08:07 pm: Edit

Zigor donkey ?????? What game were you at beechdale? He won so much ball in the air today, in the middle of defence as well as on the fringes, the guy had an excellent game. Did you also notice we attacked down the left today, but I guess you'll give no credit to Zigor or Pedro for that either!

Jorge worked his wotsits off but just failed to spot some of those final runs on goal in time to meet the telling through ball - another striker up with him won't alter that, it's up to Jorge and the coaches to sort out. Maybe it's a stage he's going through and hopefully he'll come through it soon, but right now he just doesn't seem to have that extra confidence to go on and score, which is a shame on the end of all his hard work.

I thought we could have been 3/4 goals ahead at half-time, for O'Neill's stunner to come back into play off the post was really hard luck on the lad, it looked a goal all the way and he deserved to cap a fine performance with a goal. Baird too had an excellent debut, I just hope their one month loans can be extended beyond the initial period.

For a couple of minutes at the start of the 2nd half I thought we'd lost a bit of the impetus, but we soon took the game to them again, Ritchie was unlucky to graze the bar, and they should have been dead and buried by the time they got that goal against the run of play.

Just shows how one momentary lapse at the back can get punished at this level, and it got PNE back into a game they'd rarely looked like coming to terms with.

From then on, the backs to the wall stuff should not have happened though, the tactics were not good and kept all of us right on the very edge of our seats at times - still this is the Saddlers, what else should we expect ?

By ANoS (213.122.197.43) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 08:13 pm: Edit

I don't think an extra striker would have helped Jorge today. I don't think he did much wrong though either. He worked hard, and he always puts the full-backs under pressure, he's not the quickest or the sharpest striker but he's working hard and he could have scored when the defender headed past his goalkeeper. We should have scored at least one or two more. Something like 4-2 would have been appropriate in my opinion. Plenty of positives for me, but we still need those three points against Gillingham.

By cat3 (203.218.208.152) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 08:47 pm: Edit

Great victory! Next up, Gillingham. We will demolish them once and for all. Also, we need more wins away from home. We didn't do so well last year, and it will be a good start this year to pickup points away from home. So far, we haven't won a single game away from home. Our players need to stay focus and not get derail away from home. More goals to come! Go Go Sads!!!

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.163) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 08:52 pm: Edit

I also think it was unfair of Gray to call Jorge "anonymous" today - he was involved in the game a lot, with loads of running and chasing that kept the PNE defenders busy - he just didn't look like scoring, that's all, but the rest of his contribution was well worthwhile.

Though that one chance you've mentioned ANoS, when he worried their defender into panicking and heading wide of his own keeper, is just the perfect example of what Jorge does bring to the side when he's up for it. PNE were very lucky to get away with that, plus the O'Neill rocket off the post and the Ritchie shot that grazed off the bar. Overall we deserved a bigger win today.

By PGtips (62.31.219.252) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 09:32 pm: Edit

I'm obviously pleased that we won the game but still not convinced. At two up we suddenly collapsed when we should have been looking to rack up a big score. Suddenly the midfield pulled back to the edge of our own box and isolated the front men. Every ball into the box seemed to cause us problems. Nobody seemed capable of getting a tackle in and too many poorly timed lunges at opposition players running towards goal.

With half an hour to go it looked like we would throw it all away. PNE kept bringing on forwards and we seemed to have no answer to it. Why did we not make changes? Why not bring Bazely on for Pedro or lawrance when we were under the cosh? Why not replace Jorge with Birch 15 mins before he did? Every ball forward to Jorge was a ball straight back to the opposition.

But lets be positive. We won thank God. More good performances from Merson and Ritchie. Top goal from Samways. Baird looked useful but the real star was O'Neill who was truly sensational. He must have covered every blade of grass, always looking for possession and never wasting the ball. What a shot in the first half. He looks to have a big future in the game.

It looked a certain pen from the purple end in the first half. Also looked like Zigor used his arm to control a ball in the area early in the 2nd half. Do people really think he played well today? He still looks like the weakest link in the team to me.

By Exile (203.98.50.21) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 02:17 am: Edit

Encouraging - only one yellow card dished out to Walsall. Was that a reflection of more disciplined play or a more lenient referee though?

Glad to see points on the board - hopefully we can do the same on Monday. If I'm dead lucky I'll be able to actually see highlights of that game! All depends on Sky's schedule though...

Cheers all,
Exile

By Stu (195.92.67.68) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 09:09 am: Edit

I was left scratching my head at the mentality of some Walsall fans yesterday.

The last 30 minutes yesterday had nothing to do with CL's tactics, nothing to do with tiredness, it was pure nerves and a lack of confidence.

As soon as their goal went in you could physically see the players drop their heads, they were looking at each other knowing that a chance to win 3/4 was now in the balance.

After that, the players didn't want the ball. It was just a case of defending for grim death. The fans didnt' help though, you could sense the atmosphere and nerves around the ground and that won't help players.

I haven't a clue why people booed the substitution. Pedro HAD to stay on because he was providing some outlet down the left hand side, even though I'm not a Pedro fan even I could see the importance of his role yesterday.

For me, taking Samways off was the most logical choice. Lawrence was causing problems by coming from deep and being prepared to run with the ball, O'Neill played a superb terrier like role. Osborn for Samways, as fresh legs, was the most obvious role. I could not believe people were booing that decision. Everyone wanted a sub, so he makes the obvious and logical choice.

Where does this 1 striker thing come from? We blatantly played with two strikers yesterday, Merson played far more forward than he has done at times.

Birch came on and started up front, but when they went 3-4-3 it was obvious we needed to drop an extra man back and thus Birch went to left wing by the looks of it, with Matias back at left back. Again, was that not the obvious decision to make?

For me, the most disappointing aspect yesterday was hearing some bloke yell "Dingle" everytime he shouted at Colin Lee, "Make a Sub Dingle", "You don't know what your doing Dingle"... Regardless of people's opinions of the manager and his tactics, such negativity should have no place during the match.

The relief on the players faces at full time was obvious and hopefully they can take things from here.

By Harry Weetle (195.92.168.166) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 09:43 am: Edit

Yes taking Samways off was the most 'logical choice', he was injured.

By steve (82.37.159.92) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 09:45 am: Edit

Agree with most of that Stu - I was actually hoping he would take off Jorge - not sure if that's why people were booing. Jorge was totally ineffective by that time. People constantly slate the "managers" tactics of sitting back on a lead - do they not see the manager and his assistant urging the players forward from the bench - it was the same when Graydon was there. The manager doesn't ask them to sit back - but the players sit deeper and deeper, and it is perhaps just a lack of confidence and the fact that when the ball was getting booted out Jorge wasn't able to hold it up and wait for support.

By fatboi (195.92.67.75) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 10:40 am: Edit

Could not believe the reaction of a couple of saddlers fans sitting next to me in the lower purple.We were hanging on for grim death but all they could do was criticise LEE AND MOST OF OUR PLAYERS.Why do you bother to turn up?We were winning for gods sake.

By Neil Ravenscroft (82.37.190.203) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 10:52 am: Edit

I put this on Rivals as well, but the point, I think, has to be made:-

I don't think we do sit back deliberately. I don't know if it was the scales dropping from the eyes yesterday, but I suddenly saw why Lee has been chasing a certain kind of striker.
The way to play against us is what Preston did at the end, to throw players forward and stop us playing out from the back. Our only choice then is to go over the top and we have no one who can win the ball, hold it up and bring the midfielders into play. I tell a lie, Merson did it three or four times. Jorge is the problem is that situation, in that the ball just seems to bounce off him. In fact, we looked better in the last five minutes when Burton came on, as he was able to do a better job than Jorge in those situations, even though he isn't the answer, either. That's why he's been after the Akinbiyi/Asaba, etc type, not so much to score goals, but to help keep possession.
By the way, congratualtions Beechdale, in being the only one I've seen mention formations yesterday not to congratulate Lee for going to 4 4 2, but realise we were playing 3 5 2, with Zigor as the left hand one of the three and Pedro at wing back. Do some people not watch the game? Actually, I don't think they can, as, during what was a tense game, some of them were still watching the M6 for Wiseman trucks!

By coxanddrummie (195.93.33.12) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 10:58 am: Edit

good and bad points for me aginst preston. we controlled the game for the first 60 minutes against what seemed to be a very poor side. we get 2 goals and it just seemed to be panic stations. all we had to do was keep the ball as we were doing to get the 2 goals and dishearten preston, instead we nearly gifted them a draw with a poor defensive clearence by ritche who was outstanding apart from that and terrible defending by zigor. why can't he just stand up and try and make players beat him instead of sellin himself all the time by making poor decisions. i thought the 2 loan signings were superb and both gave the commitment we needed. merson played well because he seemed to work harder. larwence also gave good commitment and power that we needed in midfield. leitao continues to dissapoint despite working hard as ever, he is lacking the sharpness u need at this level up front and would urge colin lee to replace him. overall a much needed win but the negative is that we have to control a game when we lead or else we are going to need 3 or 4 goals to win a game. we got the 2 goals by goin at preston and keepin the ball. just because we were leading why do we stop doing this.

By Neil Ravenscroft (82.37.190.203) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 11:08 am: Edit

On the subject of strange fans, by the way, someone was in the toilet at half time, complaining that we hadn't created anything!

There is also a strong rumour that Manchester United want to loan out Kieran Richardson and that we have been given first refusal. We did try for him last year, so this might be on. In that case, watch out Pedro!

By gray ellwood (81.131.34.224) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 11:59 am: Edit

I would LOVE to get Richardson. He is one of the best youngsters in England.

Jorge is my favourite player and i very rarely say anything bad about him. When i said 'anonymous' i just meant that he seemed quieter than usual.This was not his fault as he put in just as much effort as usual i think it's just he struggles being up front on his own.

Hope i've cleared that up

GRAY

By PGtips (62.31.220.122) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 12:22 pm: Edit

Pedro and Lawrence were guilty of some poor lunging tackles in the final third of the field yesterday. Giving fouls away there was the last thing we needed given that we were struggling to clear balls from our area. I still feel one of pedro or lawrence should have come off for bazely with 20-25 mins to go. Probably pedro as he was on a yellow.

It's a joke to play Zigor in a back three. He has strengths including heading but mostly as a ball carrier and crosser. He should have taken Pedro's wide left role and given up his central defensive position to Bazely who has succesfully played as part of a back three before.

Other than that I was fairly pleased with the performance and delighted with the 3 points. I still feel that CL needs to work with a defensive coach. Someone who can organise our defenders into a tight unit that attacks the ball into the box rather than watching it bounce around such as yesterday afternoon and the head tennis goal on weds night. Its very sad that some fans can still be so overly critical but to be honest this is true at every club. It is the fickle nature of the football fan I'm afraid.

By Bristol Saddler (217.161.104.2) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 01:15 pm: Edit

I am somewhat surprised at the grief being handed out over our tactics! I mean I am sure CL didn't say right lads f*ck it we're 2-0 up, sit back will ya! I'm sure he expressed caution but not all out defence!

I mean after losing four games on the bounce and with only one league victory all season, with a makeshift defence, with two loan players in the team, an unsettled formation and 7,000 Saddlers crossing their fingers PNE piling forward in search of hope; perhaps its slightly possible that we'll panic a bit and sh*t ourselves every time the ball is in our box! Our confidence was at rock bottom and yesterday was a relief.

Beat Gillingham, even if its by one goal and with a lot of panic and our season is under way! Who cares we needed 3 points yesterday and we need 3 tomorrow!

Its about grounding out results now and although we all want pretty football, lets get 20 points on the board and then worry about it.

Also for the last time on this board! Remember this is a completely new team, playing in a new formation, with suspensions and loan players effecting the squad all the time! This will impact on the pitch! It has to!

Celebrate 3 points, and six on Monday and if CL needs a defensive coach I need a breast finder! Christ its been the defence as much as anything thats kept us in the division.

As for fans giving CL abuse, please can they wait until we lose another 4 on the bounce and hit rock bottom. He has to be given time and if he went who'd want the job. As for Halsall, well okay lets spend some cash paying a new assistant manager, personally I'd used that to pay a new striker!

Anyway! Good win! If not clean! Onwards and upwards! Keep positive, the time to sh*t it is not now!

KEEP THE FAITH!

By popperpancake (81.77.37.203) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 06:35 pm: Edit

Christ.. just be happy. I thought we played really well until they scored, then like Stu says it was just nerves and anxiety that set in. Lawrence and O'Neil made a big difference making runs forward from the centre of midfield. Samways was excellent (again). The formation was definitely 352. When i heard the team it looked like it was gonna be 442, but it certainly wasn't. Jorge just seems to struggle holding it up like people are saying, he often allows defenders to get in in front of him when it's played into feet. He worked hard tho. We needed the win and we got it, a little nerve wracking but who cares. Hopefully we can gain some confidence now.

By cheese bag (81.131.108.5) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 10:24 pm: Edit

No communication when Samways came off, midfield were just looking around at each other. + points, can we please keep O'Neil & Baird for a couple of seasons

By DF (193.237.102.207) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 06:26 am: Edit

Even though the result was the most important thing we have to be pretty satisfied with the performance. Ok so we hung on but it wouldn't be Walsall without a bit of nerve jangling.
I'm not especially pro or anti Pedro but we do appear to be a lot more balanced when he plays and out of all the positive aspects the more balanced feel to the side was the one that pleased me. Jorge ran himself into the ground and whilst he didn't look like notching his workrate and creation of space for others played a big part in the result. I thought Ritchie was immense - he took me back to Adie V circa 1999 - but I agree that the two new boys ran him close. ONeill was possibly the one who caught the eye but to me Baird looks a high quality player. Nothing flash or fancy, more a solid & controlled display. Top marks from me.
Zigors lunge at the end almost cost us but Cresswell's finish summed up his general performace. What a tart.
3 points down 3 more to get tonight and the waves will be calmer. Onwards and upwards
Had the ref given Preston that penalty however.......

By redordead (213.122.69.159) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 09:32 am: Edit

That was never a penalty, he only swiped one of his legs,

By Neil Ravenscroft (62.172.127.2) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 09:47 am: Edit

He got what he deserved (nothing) for an attempt to take Greg Louganis' Olympic Diving scoring record. He did catch him, but what a reaction!

By Stu (13.16.137.11) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 11:13 am: Edit

To be honest, I don't think he made a meal of it at all.

For all we complain about being on the harsh end of penalty decisions at Millwall and Bolton.

We've escaped with two stone wall penalty decisions so far this season.

1) Neil Emblen hauling John Eustace down after 5 minutes at home to Stoke. What was a blatant penalty and red card after just 5 minutes was given as "play on".

2) Another absolute stone wall penalty on Saturday was somehow given as our free kick and a booking for diving.

Shows how they all balance each other out.

By Neil Ravenscroft (62.172.127.2) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 12:11 pm: Edit

Don't get me wrong, Stu, it was a penalty, but I think he tried to make sure and paid the price.

By PGtips (81.134.198.224) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 12:53 pm: Edit

Not forgetting our escape at Coventry when we not only escaped a certain pen but saw an oppoenent sent off as well. I love referees.

By Delves Saddler (194.73.163.108) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 12:55 pm: Edit

I hate to keep harping on about it, but we would have had that game wrapped up by the hour mark if a certain Matthew Fryatt had started. Yet he wasn't even on the bl**dy bench!!

O'Neill was outstanding, so I will eat my pre-match posts about giving Oakes the opportunity ahead of O'Neill - clearly CL saw something in the boy that could turn us around, and how he did!!

Baird - very solid and currently a better option than Bazeley.

Still not sure about Lawrence. Although it was an improved, at times powerhouse, performance he still, more often than not, ran around like a headless chicken or stood still in a daze!!!

Totally agree with Stu on the substitution. It WAS the only option tactically although I would have preferred Oakes on the bench to Osborn.

I AM a pedro fan and still see the value of having him or Zigor on the left as we do look better going forward when we have width. Agreed Zigor cannot play in a back three, although he did his best yesterday.

Jorge - worked hard, harried, chased and I love him to bits but I just think he is lacking something in this team. Goals are what we are lacking and he is not scoring in the system we played on Saturday. If he has to play, either play him with a partner other than Merse (who does tend to get drawn into the midfield and leave Jorge alone) and stick Merse in midfield or play Fryatt with Merse instead of Jorge. Fryatt's pace will make the difference and we won't lose anything as he can do all the things Jorge does aswell.

Overall, I was please with the result and individual performances and the midfield looked a more effective unit with O'Neill. BUT, we cannot rely on having the two loan players for too long so we must maintain a momentum that won't be disrupted when they depart, so I will stick with my ideal team as the one I posted here on Friday.

My permutations are:

Without the loan signings, assuming no injuries, my ideal team is:

Walker

Roper, Hay, Ritchie

Wrack, Oakes, Samways, Zigor

Merson

Fryatt, Birch

Bench: Bazeley, Emblen, Jorge, Pedro, Kerr

With the players we have available to us now (i.e. the team I would field tonight for Gillingham):

Walker

Ritchie, Emblen, Bazeley

Baird, O'Neill, Samways, Zigor

Merson

Fryatt, Birch

Bench: Wrack, Pedro, Oakes, Jorge, Kerr

If we kept the loan players for a lengthy spell, my ideal team would be:

Walker

Hay, Roper, Ritchie

Baird, Samways, O'Neill, Zigor

Merson

Fryatt, Birch

Bench: Emblen, Oakes, Wrack, Jorge, Kerr

By Dave Roe (217.37.14.235) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 01:34 pm: Edit

Much better on Saturday. The energy and belief were much improved. A good starting point to get our season back on track.

The only gripe is the way we (yet again) sat back as soon as we conceded the goal. I'm not sure (and don't care) if we do it because of Lee's instructions or not, I just wish we would learn from previous games and stop doing it.

I couldn't believe one of the "fans" sitting behind me who, throughout the first half, kept saying "Merson is f*****g useless, we should p**s him off". What the hell is this prat on about ? I agree with the remark Neil Ravenscroft made when I told him at half time, "Can we sell some of our bloody supporters to the Dingles ?".

By popperpancake (81.134.180.131) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 05:03 pm: Edit

Anyone know whats happened with Oakes? Has his "attitude problem" reared up again? I thought he has played ok in the little time he's had on the pitch, but suddenly he seems way out the picture. Any ideas?

By Stu (195.92.67.65) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 05:47 pm: Edit

Regarding the sitting deep thing. A few people have said you can often see Lee urging the team to get forward, but they sit back of their own accord.

Anyway, Ray Lewington was moaning that his team were doing exactly the same this weekend. They were 1 up at home to Ipswich and he said they just sat back and defended. He said it was down to the lack of confidence and the desperation to get a result.

We're not the only ones...

By redordead (213.122.54.132) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 06:08 pm: Edit

Did anyone else think that Lawrence was going to swing for the ref halfway through the second half.

By SheffieldSaddler (172.189.145.105) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 09:18 pm: Edit

My only gripe from Saturday was the complete and utter idiots we have has supporters!
The comments I heard were amazing! From slagging off Lawrence to slagging Lee and his subs.
Honestly, I think we have some complete and utter brainless people that support Walsall.
If only they was there some years ago when we were playing teams like Scunthorpe, Bury and Carlise on a regular basis.
Pathetic the lot of them. Especially the complete tw*t who sits in lower purple with a blue cap on, perhaps he should spend more time at sea as a sailor rather than watching us.
I am sure I will end up politely pointing out a few things to him before too long.

By Happy Saddler (217.44.46.36) on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 12:06 am: Edit

Hmmm, I was thinking just the same thing on Saturday Sheff. What right plonkers we have as fans.

There were two blokes to the right of me who were swearing all match (despite the fact we were playing well) and when the people behind asked them to calm down, they gave them an ear-full as well. One of them was the Doffer, but who could his mate have been??

Still can't complain, it was hilarious watching the Doffer get more and more worked up as everyone just took the p!ss.

We do have some idiots don't we..

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.176) on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 12:53 am: Edit

I'd much rather have 5,000/6,000 Doffers vocally and passionately getting behind the team, than the load of whingeing ba$tards who constantly spout all this tripe about ex Dingles, from our manager downwards !

Just explain to me someone, 'cos I'd really love to know, how ripping into individual players or the team as a whole actually improves the performance where it matters, out there on the pitch.

What motivates us all to give our best in our various workplaces, criticism or encouragememt ?

Need I say more ?

By Cannock (62.31.216.22) on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 02:03 am: Edit

Totally pissed off tonight. We performed excellently during the first half and were unlucky not to be 2 or 3 goals to the good. We played exciting, good to watch footy, which isn't something i say often under Lee.

Even after taking the lead, the Family twerp sitting behind me were constantly shouting anti Dingle, anti Lee comments. What is the matter with these people. We were winning and playing bloody well.

The people i am talking about were grown adults, not kids, a man, and i assume his wife and kids and all were screaming anti Lee bollox (as they have been all season). I admit, i am not one of Lee's fans but for heavens sake, when we are playing well then cheer the lads on.

As a result, at half time, myself and the family Cannock moved sadly closer to Mr Whiting where at least the old geezers were commenting about the game.

I will be relocating (if poss) my season ticket tomorrow as i am sick of these morons. They think they are so funny with their witty remarks but all they do is •••• people off.

If Lee is having a stinker, i say so. If the team is playing well, i also say so. What i cannot stand is this constant ••••• calling for a dingle's head. •••• off and grow up.

By JPD (203.18.34.5) on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 03:32 am: Edit

Geoff, after all this time thinking you were a sensible lad! 5 or 6,000 Doffers?
Have you never sat within earshot of him?

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.170) on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 08:53 am: Edit

I was thinking of the passion JPD - much better to hear that coming out than the frequent moaning and whingeing we get from the terraces (if we can call them "terraces" any more) that is so totally counter-productive. I don't mean the bad language, talk to Doffer and even he will admit he goes way over the top in that respect, but at least you'll never doubt his commitment to the Saddlers.

Not so the whingers, especially the "anti-Dingle" brigade - their constant need to insult our players and manager over this stupid ex-Dingle issue just tells us that these people quite clearly have an inferiority complex re: the Wolves. It's a condition they can only cope with by constantly declaring, at the top of their voices while amongst our own fans, their hate of anyone and anything even remotely connected to Molineux.

Just very sad cases I'm afraid who can't focus on the real issues, our games, our players, our performances, our results. For those 90 minutes just once or twice a week, what the bl**dy-hell else really matters inside that football stadium ?

By SheffieldSaddler (172.185.138.161) on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 11:48 am: Edit

Yes Cannock I notice a lot of anti dingle shouts behind you. Especially on Saturday. I did miss you then to keep me in check, where was you?
Onwards and Upwards.
In regards the Doffer thing, there are so many other supporters a lot worse! Why continue to mention him? Personally I think you are very sad.
If the anti dingle brigade directed a bit more of their passion to supporting Walsall FC then it would create a lot better atmosphere.
Oh, in regards swearing at football matches, so what? Obviously if you are in the family stand then fair enough, but in the lower purple or any other stand bar the family so what? You should expect it, its a fact of life.

By Alan (195.74.100.165) on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 12:52 pm: Edit

Come on Sheff, it was a little more than mere swearing on Saturday. It was hilarious, watching the doffer spluttering expletives (whilst covering the poor sods in front with spittle), then threatening to twerp two supporters sitting behind who dared to complain.

All to the amusement of around 50 fans sitting nearby.

The doffer is indeed passionate. But Sheff, you're a little hypocritical to complain about "idiot" fans. Some have a go at Lee, some have a go at their fellow supporters, that's life..

By Stu (13.16.137.11) on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 01:09 pm: Edit

They then kissed and made up though, although not literally...

By Delves Saddler (194.73.163.108) on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 11:35 am: Edit

No doubt they all loved Don Goodman, and have applauded Emblen's performances and goal this season. Complete and utter numbskulls!

Return to 2003-04 Season