Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Millwall (a) - League - 20th September 2003

Reports and reaction from the 2003-04 season as Walsall finished 22nd (R) in Division 1
Andy
UTS Regular

Millwall (a) - League - 20th September 2003

Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:28 pm

By Delves Saddler (82.37.160.127) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 07:08 am: Edit

Can't help feeling, as I prepare to leave for Milwall, that it should be a case of into the tamed lion's den bearing in mind their recent form, but on our recent form I fear another defeat to a very average side.

let's hope Birch shows us his worth today (and even more so, hope Fryatt get's half an hour at least to prove my belief that he is the hottest Walsall striker in years).

Just under 8 hours before we find out!!

By Geoff Whiting (80.177.14.124) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 12:44 pm: Edit

My information about 2-3 weeks ago was that Fryatt was off on loan to Raith, but that was stopped. So you'd assume with our continuing goal-shy form CL thought better of it and was considering trying him. But it still hasn't happened despite the lack of any real improvement up-front.

Now my latest report is that Fryatt is getting a little fed up of the lack of an opportunity to show what he can do. I really think we must try him, if only for say the last 20-25 minutes, what have we got to lose when the rest of the players seem incapable of producing an end product.

By Walsall Supporter (82.37.192.30) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 05:16 pm: Edit

After my delight in the Wolves result, heart broken that we have lost at Millwall, looking on the BBC site we are now 21st in the table, we need divine help now me thinks!

By ANoS (213.122.89.186) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 05:17 pm: Edit

Three defeats in a row. I have to say before last Saturday's game I thought we were quite capable of taking at least 4 points this week. I'm not too concerned, we have two home games next weekend to sort things out, but if we don't take at least 4 points from those...

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.171) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 06:00 pm: Edit

We really need no less than maximum points ANoS, have you seen the table tonight mate ? We're 21st and starting to get isolated with 4 or 5 other teams, and we can't afford for that to happen.

I expected this defeat and predicted we'd be 20th tonight - I don't think anyone would have expected Coventry to take the points at Reading, leap-frog us and push us down to 21st - it's worrying that other teams can do this while we seem incapable of getting a result anywhere. Even though we're only losing by the odd goal, that's no consolation at all while we keep coming away with no points from all these games.

Listening in to Saddlers World, it sounded like we were never ever seriously in the game at all after Millwall equalised on 16 minutes, and the winner sounded inevitable, hearing about the Millwall dominance, the number of shots and near-misses they were having, and of course as usual the number of saves by Wakker who ws our MoM. On the very rare occasions we managed to attack them, there was no punch, no finish, no ideas. Strange though that we lost it to a penalty which Mick Kearns described as an awful refereeing decision.

This is getting to be a worrying and tediously familiar trend - a bit reminiscent of that old chestnut from a few years back when Albion were losing game after game, you know the one - "Albion have lost again!" - "How do you know?" - "Because it's 10 to 5 on Saturday!". Not very funny I know, but it has a familiar ring to it right now.

Christ, when are we going to show some signs of a recovery starting?

I'm also interested to hear from those who went, about the Warner incident that gave us our penalty. He got a yellow card but Radio WM seemed to think he was lucky it wasn't red. Thinking about how Wakker always seems to cop for a red in these situations, should Warner have got a red and been sent off, or not?

By sj (195.93.33.12) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 06:26 pm: Edit

What can Lee do the team is playing much poorer than last years team. The defence seemed better today but no ideas in midfield and clueless up front, no edge, no creativity, no b*lls. Zigor is our best attacker and he's out for another week.
I really dont know what Lee can do to turn things around. I fear that we are just not good enough this year and we have not got any money to change things.

By Jorge14 (195.93.33.12) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 06:47 pm: Edit

Just got back...after spending 2 and a half hours stuck at the side of the motorway...as the Supporters Club Coach managed to fail to find any gear higher than first going along the M1. To make matters worse, we had a driver who was more full of jokes than he was actually trying to get a replacement coach, and pre-ceeded to lie to us regardign the length of time it would take us to get a new coach.

So, we missed the match, barely heard the Wolves match on Crackle FM/5 live, so all in all, a pretty pointless and crap day out.

It should be said that Don or Royston of the Travel Office shouldn't be blamed. Flights Coaches should be more than any one as they gave us a loaned coach which was more barclays than a gastank, whilst WBA get the executive Flights coaches.

So, I can't comment on the game, as I saw sweet FA of it, and I'm thouroughly p!ssed off.

By Wyrley Saddler (193.113.112.217) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 08:46 pm: Edit

Why is it that struggling clubs always manage to turn their season around after beating the Saddlers. Half a dozen teams below us last season won the 6 pointers and then zoomed up the table.
This season is the same, Derby Ipswich, worrying that only 3 teams lie below us, still they have us to play yet so no worries for them.
We are in big trouble, Lee could not attract players whilst we were towards the top, now we at the bottom what will he do now. End up with the Deon Burtons of this world, crocked bits of •••••.

By Stu (195.92.67.71) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 08:53 pm: Edit

Hmmm we have only played 8 games haven't we? Just want to make sure of that.

I'd worry if we didn't get at least 4 points from Preston or Gillingham.

But, as I said earlier this morning, its just a matter of turning the corner and getting confidence back. Look at Derby, they beat us to lift confidence and have followed that up with 4 pts from the next 2 matches. Ipswich beat us and got the confidence to trounce Wimbledon today.

My only complaint at the current moment would be the constant chopping and changing. We need to give the same 11 players the chance to gel together, rather than making changes every match.

Pick one formation (in my view, 3-5-2 with Merson as the attacking/floating midfielder), pick the team and then give them 3/4/5 matches to make it work.

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.176) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 09:09 pm: Edit

You're so relaxed though Stu that I wonder, if we get nothing from the next two games (a while ago I'd have laughed at that thought), will you actually be starting to get worried, or will you be coming back again saying "Hmmm we have only played 10 games haven't we? Just want to make sure of that."

I rather suspect the latter. Not criticising you for that you understand, just my little observation.

Shall we be discussing it over a pint in The Saddlers before the match next week, or are you doing the sensible thing and going diving again?

By Don Rogers (213.122.211.135) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 10:10 pm: Edit

If he does, there's always the other Stu.

It's funny though, we've been here so many times over the years and then we get a good result and all is goodness and light again and Colin is once again the Messiah!!

Next week??

By SheffieldSaddler (195.93.33.12) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 10:12 pm: Edit

We need to turn things round pretty quickly. When I watched Sjoke tonight, watching Akinbiyi, I thought what a shame we missed out on him. Not fit at all, but still put himself about and created problems for Norwich, set up the first goal as well.
We need a player like this not Burton for f*cks sake. Thats what we lack at the moment and its about time it was sorted.

By Surrey Saddler (195.93.33.12) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 10:51 pm: Edit

We have lacked a striker since the end of last seaon. Junior (or his agent) made a fool of Lee and I am tempted to say Lee brought it on himself. Did I not read way back, like last June or something like that, that Lee gave Junior/agent "over the weekend" to come to a decision. In other words, if this was true, he gave him a deadline and then through weakness did not keep him to it.

By RushallSaddler (195.182.163.27) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 10:52 pm: Edit

Has anyone really got any confidence in us beating Preston and Gillingham, on our present form, cos I haven't, our disciplinary record is fast becoming a joke, and with such a small and at the moment talentless squad we can ill aford all these unnecessary suspensions, oh by the way Preston have just picked up, winning two on the bounce and scoring 7 goals in doing so and who did Gillingham beat today, oh yes West Ham, we probably won't score against a Bolton 2nd eleven on Wednesday neither. Sorry lads but I haven't felt this depressed about things since THAT match against the baggies (Graydons last stand).
But I do hope I'm totally wrong and we take six points and make the third round Carling Cup draw.

By bournemouthsaddler (80.3.164.5) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 08:55 am: Edit

How did Warner stay on the pitch,again? The penalty was a disgrace. The referee was a cheat, and we were poor again. At present Rotherham,Dons and us look doomed. We have no pace or power. Lee knows what we need but the players are not available.

By Simon Turpin (213.122.181.144) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 09:56 am: Edit

That's it blame the ref again. We never lose because of Clown lee it's always the ref.

By ANother Saddler (213.122.184.13) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 11:13 am: Edit

How can you call Colin Lee a clown, you ridiculous little twerp, Simon Turpin. Do you not realise what this man has done for this football club? You wouldn't dare talk about Graydon like that, I wouldn't imagine, so why do you have the cheek to talk about Colin Lee like that? The man that has done even more for us than Ray Graydon. Both men deserve huge respect for what they have done for us. I will always remember Graydon fondly, but at the same time I like Colin Lee. Colin Lee has had 18 months in this job, and after a couple of bad weeks you want him out.

twerp.
twerp.
twerp.

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.171) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 11:41 am: Edit

Top post ANoS - Simon is indeed a twerp.

Mind you, on reflection does he have a point?

Does CL in fact tell his players to pass the ball to the opposition, not to move off the ball and make themselves available to receive a pass, not to make forward runs, to play square passes round our defence and midfield instead of getting the ball forward into attacking areas, not to put the ball in the opposition penalty area in case we score, not to shoot when there's an opportunity, not to close down and tackle opponents when they are attacking us, to fall over the ball like fairies, or to retaliate and kick the opposition after we've been awarded a free-kick.

All these things are happening, and if it's on CL's instructions, then it's his fault. But don't ask me why, I know it's a strange thing to say, but I've just got this sneaking suspicion that it just might be down to the players.

By Hit a brick wal-sall (62.31.217.111) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 12:34 pm: Edit

Colin Lee, tut tut tut
Why play birch on the left, when he did such a good job wednesday night?. Why didnt you bring emblen on for wracky instead of bringing lawrence on?
I liked you at first colin but i am become weary of youre tactics, we are budding alex ferusons but dont you try and be like him, he can play players out of position, BUT YOU CANNOT.

By Dave burntwood (81.106.183.150) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 01:06 pm: Edit

Just seen penalty on sky
disgraceful decision, Millwall player didn't appeal,tried to play on. Agree about Birch, When will CL give him a proper chance

By Jorge14 (195.93.33.12) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 02:12 pm: Edit

Give Lee to Christmas you anti-Lee brigade, then we can look at the season in a fairer way.

You can't call the referee a cheat, whatever he did he did for a reason, but referee's aren't cheats. However, in general, they're crap.

Can't believe Birch was played on the left however. He played there for a month last season and didn't fvck all, why he is put there beggars belief.

Not too impressed with The Star or the Argus, not sure which, who helpfully imformed the readers that only 186 fans turned up. However, they failed to note a coach break-down and an accident closing 2 lanes of the M25.

By richard newsome (194.6.9.129) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 02:28 pm: Edit

I was one of the 186 fans ; my god what a depressing afternoon.

Worst aspect for me was the total lack of any fight or passion in the last 10 minutes to try to get back in the game, when we had to throw caution to the wind.

Oh no sorry the worst aspect was Deon Burton clearly not giving a toss, he should never be allowed to play for us again.

Oh no , sorry the worst of all was that we looked like a team absolutely devoid of any idea and leadership. Bring back Martin O'Connor.

Fryatt should start on Wednesday .

Despondent Saddler

By Stu (195.92.67.209) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 02:31 pm: Edit

Geoff, if we don't get at least 4 points from the next two games then I will be worried. In my view, the time to look at a league table and actually take notice of it is about 10/12 games, as thats pretty much a 1/4 of the season gone. by that stage, you've had a fair run of fixtures.

If we take two wins, we'll be W3 D3 L4, but most importantly the confidence of the players will be boosted. And as we've seen with Ipswich and Derby, I think things will turn around from there.

Interestingly, I note that the Sunday tabloids say that Dion Dublin is available now. There is the man we want. Big, strong, presence, knows where the goals are.

By Stu (195.92.67.209) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 02:32 pm: Edit

And yes, usual time before kick off in the Saddlers Club...

By walsall 4eva (213.48.84.244) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 04:04 pm: Edit

yeah but stu if we lose the two games, which on present form we could do P 1 D 3 L 6

By geoff hammond (195.92.168.166) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 05:42 pm: Edit

where did they get the coach driver from who decided to use the M.25 to get to the new den.
Idiotic imbecile I`d call him not a driver,if he`d listen to the radio reports he would have known that the M.25 on a Saturday is as bad as the M.6 on a friday night SOLID!!!!
I would have gone straight into the city on the A1 to Aldgate then down to Milwall docks and Canary Wharf leading to the New Den.
Didn`t go myself had to work but saw the goals and the ridiculous penalty decision on the T.V. this afternoon no wonder players and fans get uptight with these little schoolmasters who seem to think that they are GOD.
I`ts early days yet but something has got come good,remember Wimbledon last season,bottom of the division early on then put a run of 5 games together and shot up the table so there is hope after all.

By Coach driver (213.122.193.32) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 06:01 pm: Edit

Coach drivers go the way they are told.
No way the police would have allowed the route you mention.
M25 was no problem for me, the driver couldn't predict an accident could he?

By Surrey Saddler (195.93.33.12) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 07:22 pm: Edit

Geoff Hammond- it is a good job you were not driving the coach. Sure Millwall Dock is next to Canary Wharf- but it is north of the river and Millwall FC play south of the river in New Cross/Rotherhithe/Bermondsey area. Millwall used to play in Millwall but moved from the aptly named Mudchute at least 90 years ago. I know. I was the team coach driver at the time!!!

By Profiteering coach company (203.98.50.24) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 08:59 pm: Edit

We tell the driver where to go - and if he thinks it is the police advising us, not us avoiding the congestion charge, then that's all right by us.

By depressedbournemouthsaddler (80.3.164.4) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 12:13 am: Edit

never blamed the ref,but it was never a pen.We should have lost five one,but when has it been the refs job to make sure the best team won. Magoo said Warner should be more carefull in future.i.e he was lucky to stay on the pitch.

By cat3 (219.76.64.2) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 06:29 am: Edit

We will start doing better this week... Let's just forget the 4 lost we had and move on! We also have to forgive Ritchie for punching the ref inside the tunnel. Whatever happened there, we will have to forget and move on... We can't blame CL for his talents and efforts. His control toward the team is superb. We just had a little bad luck. Things are looking great still, we shouldn't be nagging here and bad mouthing one another. That's not fan should do, instead, we need to support each other and continue to chant for our team.
For Ritchie, discipline action is vital to maintain stability in a team. We need not to ruin our good reputation as a team in 1st Division. We will have to let the police and FA handle this. Too bad this occurred, we just got a little too rough on the field and agitated off the field. Things will lighten up! Let's get back up on the wagon and onward we go... Go Go Sads!!!!!!!

By Neil Ravenscroft (82.37.184.241) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 07:28 am: Edit

Whatever he did, it was nothing compared to those loonies from Arsenal yesterday! How come Lauren, Parlour and Keown weren't sent off after the whistle?

By DF (193.237.102.207) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 07:47 am: Edit

I was there and just as in 1999 Warner had to go. The fact he didn't get sent off was again down to a weak referee who spent the entire 90 minuted evening decisions up. We had a free kick pushed forward, they had a free kick pushed forward, we picked up a booking, they picked up a booking with 20 minutes to go the only difference was that we had been given a penalty and Millwall hadn't. I haven't seen it on TV since but if it had been the onther way round I think the 186 of us would have all gone up for it.
Generally we were utter tosh, weak & uncreative in posession, fragile and disorganised without it. The marking at times was shambolic and the isolation of the front two (or three) was as bad as ever. A great start but yet again we lost a goal to a regulation set piece - I don't want to get into pro or anti Lee but this kind of goal concession is becoming a hallmark of Lee's reign.
We lose far too many goals from failing to defend basic set pieces.
Again had it not been for Walker we'd have been dead and buried well before the Millwall winner eventually came along and never looked like getting back level afterwards.
The substitutions baffled me, Lawrence is never a full back, Nelly is too slow for midfield. I think the Oakes subtitution was forced upon Lee by the failure of his first two. As an aside I have to say that Mrs Lawrence has better legs than Jamie. Top totty.

It's pretty grim at the moment and whilst I can accept losing games, the fact we are so dull and narrow really disappoints me.

Got there just in time for kick off only because of a clear run on the M25. Had we hit traffic problems on the orbital we'd have been knackered. It was clear as a bell at 2.00

By Back seat driver (81.131.228.177) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 05:44 pm: Edit

Luton town centre, however, was all snarled up and a total nightmare.

By Stu (195.92.67.66) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 06:41 pm: Edit

Luton town centre is always snarled up and always a total nightmare... Why anyone would want to go to Luton though is beyond me, I do everything to avoid it. Luton is only marginally better than Stevenage, and thats saying something...

By JPD (203.18.34.5) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 03:45 am: Edit

True Neil - some punter above slates Lee for not being tight enough on Vinny and Ritchie (and what has the Merse done to warrant a mention?) and yet aguably the best manager in the business loses control of his pack of players.
Why the aggro against Van Thingy as he has done far worse things in his prat-falling career?
I would expect long absenses from the game for the blokes you mentioned and we may suffer the backlash from it when they review the behaviour of the otherwise excellent Ritchie.

By DF (193.237.102.207) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 07:00 am: Edit

Got u there though didn't i

By geoff hammond (195.92.168.163) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 10:54 am: Edit

surrey saddler;
I know the new den is south of the river I was just generalising a route.Can a coach go through the Rotherhithe tunnel? I was under the impression that it was cars only.The Blackwall Tunnel was the route I was hinting at.

By Back seat driver (213.122.129.133) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 03:25 pm: Edit

You did indeed DF, and with time to spare. I was never worried mate, always confident we'd do it.
Bit miffed I had to pay to get in though.

By Surrey Saddler (195.93.33.12) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 05:30 pm: Edit

Geoff Hammond, you are right coaches do not go through Rotherhithe tunnel but they are OK through Blackwall tunnel. Its more fun on the Woolwich free ferry even though it would take farlonger and you would have missed the game. No bad thing though.

By Neil Ravenscroft (82.37.184.241) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 07:45 pm: Edit

Before this turns into a new version of "theaa.com", check what happens to the AA man in the last but one Dalziel and Pascoe, "Dialogues of the Dead"

By geoff hammond (195.92.168.167) on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 10:41 am: Edit

surrey saddler;
could have got my duty frees downstairs on the woolwich ferry,would have to be quick though only open for 2 minutes.

By Surrey Saddler (195.93.33.12) on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 01:46 pm: Edit

By far the best(and most interesting) way to get to the New Den is to park the bus somewhere in Wapping, then take the underground to Surrey Quays. This has the added advantage of travelling through the first ever tunnel beneath the Thames as built by Marc and his son Isambard Kingdom Brunel. Apologies for being a route bore!!

By Dave Roe (217.37.14.235) on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 01:53 pm: Edit

Nonesense Surrey. I was very grateful for your help earlier this year. Nothing like a bit of accurate (and free) information !!!

By Exile (203.98.50.24) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 05:59 am: Edit

This is the same tunnel that was closed for over a year due to the fact that it leaked like a b*st*rd, and is now shotcreted to b*ggery disgusing all the original features?

Much prefer the bridges, me.

Used to live in Rotherhithe, and whenever Millwall were playing at home I'd leave work early, to avoid the 200 drunk fans and 500 aggressive cops stationed around the local tube station between 6.0pm and kick-off. It was that or stay out till closing time. Hang on, that's what I did most Tuesdays anyway! Halcyon days.

Cheers all
Exile

Return to 2003-04 Season