Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Coventry (a) - League - 16th August 2003

Reports and reaction from the 2003-04 season as Walsall finished 22nd (R) in Division 1
Andy
UTS Regular

Coventry (a) - League - 16th August 2003

Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:22 pm

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.176) on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 10:08 am: Edit

I thought we played a game at Highfield Road yesterday and came back with a valuable and hard-earned point.

Have I dreamt this? Have we all forgotten? Or is it a case of "after the Lord Mayor's Show"? I can't believe it's taken until 10am on Sunday to start a thread about the match.

OK, it was no classic, the formation wasn't right, Merson was too far forward and didn't get enough service, we suffered from too many mis-placed passes that gave away possession (again), and we had a pretty poor referee to contend with as usual.

But we've got 4 points from two difficult opening games, which is a pretty positive situation and two more winnable home games to come out of the next three.

The future is bright, the future is Red & White.

By Steve (82.37.159.2) on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 11:42 am: Edit

Agree with above - thought Emblem and Hay did well - Bazely was my MOM but the midfield was lacking - although I think Coventry had done their homework and snuffed out Merson and Corica. Still - good point, bring on the Clayheads

By hullsaddler (213.249.174.121) on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 12:11 pm: Edit

Mick Kearns said on the commentary that he thought that merson would not be as effective away from home due to the way CL was having the team play. Was this so? I must admit i have never really understood why teams think they have to change their tactics so much when away from home.Is Merson better off in midfield & Corica playing the role just behind Jorge?
Having seen the demolition of the baggies ,why not approach other games in the same way? Still 4 points from first 2 games which cant be bad.
Observer today comments "With creative players of the calibre of Samways,merson etc Walsall could very likely be the first division's most skilful team this season". Let's hope he is right.

By Cannock (62.31.216.205) on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 12:12 pm: Edit

Delighted with a point from yesterday. Unfortunately we conceeded possession way too easily for my liking. Coventry looked like a very good first division outfit on that showing and i doubt if many teams will leave highfield Road with a point or more.

Osborn seems to be settling very well and links up superbly with the ever improving Corica. It's a shame that Corica didn't have much support as his work rate was tremendous. Jorge looked well off the pace and seems unable to stand up whenever challenged. Very powderpuff. Excellent point though.

By SheffieldSaddler (195.93.33.12) on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 12:32 pm: Edit

I would put it down to a bad performance rather than Coventry being good. They havent won at home all year according to what I heard and they have won 1 match I think!
I think a lot of teams will be leaving Coventry with 3 points persoanlly.
Good to see you have changed your opinion on Corica, Cannock. Do you wish to join me in the Corica Fan Club? I have a position left on the committee if you are interested.

By Cannock (62.31.216.205) on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 01:08 pm: Edit

Go on then Sheff. Coventry were dangerous though and a big improvement on last year but fortunately weren't able to finish. I don't think they will be amongst the dead wood this year.

By Stu (195.92.67.74) on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 01:11 pm: Edit

The sign of a decent team is a team who can play bad or find themselves 2nd best yet still come away with a point.

Radio 5 and TalkSport both said that Coventry were the better team and deserved the points. So, that is a point gained in my opinion.

You have to bear in mind that this was Coventry's first game of the season, so they were going to be just as 'up for it' as we were at home to Albion last Saturday. It was always going to be a difficult task, despite the fact that I think Coventry won't be any great shakes, so a point is a good one.

The key is next weekend. Stoke home and Crewe away. Realistically, if we want Top 10 then that should be 6 points. But Stoke will be very confident and Crewe have just beaten Ipswich (albeit due to poor finishing from Ipswich I'm led to believe). So I'll take 4 points next weekend and a victory at home to Cardiff the week after. P5 W3 D2 would do me very nicely.

By DB (62.6.131.128) on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 03:43 pm: Edit

Back down to Earth with a bang...was this the same team as last week? That was a great disappointment. However, just as we shouldn't get carried away beating WBA, so we can't read too much into yesterday, and 4 points from 6 is a brilliant start. But I definitely think we made an average Coventry team look way better than they are yesterday. Thank goodness they had that donkey Adebola up front, and we must also thank the referee for helping us out, but even despite that, Coventry had half a dozen excellent chances to win (on another day at least one would have gone in) and we did not create anything. Jimmy superb again.

Merse had no support, granted, but he also very reluctant to get involved or run for the ball. It definitely did not work playing him up front --why change his position from the week before? The sooner we have another proper forward alongside George the better, IMO, which will bring the best out of Merse as well. What really surprised me was how tired we looked. Things just never really got going at any stage as we backed off and conceded posession carelessly. In that situation, I think we might have used the subs much earlier and I would have given Oakes a run out, just to see what we he could do. Granted you might say we keep things tight at 0-0, and don't change it, but at no stage in the match did we ever really look secure, even after they'd gone down to 10 men.

By Mark Davies (195.92.168.167) on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 04:53 pm: Edit

Anyone else wish we had spent the money acquiring Merson on securing Junior? Merson's performance at Coventry was pathetic. Is Lee going to be strong enough to manage this character? Did anyone else notice that Bazeley was substituted immediately following an on-field row with Merson.

By Mark Davies (195.92.168.167) on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 04:54 pm: Edit

Anyone else wish we had spent the money acquiring Merson on securing Junior? Merson's performance at Coventry was pathetic. Is Lee going to be strong enough to manage this character? Did anyone else notice that Bazeley was substituted immediately following an on-field row with Merson?

By Phil_G (195.92.168.168) on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 05:23 pm: Edit

Do I wish we had spent the Merson money on Junior, NO.
Merson wanted to play for Walsall.
Junior/his agent did not want to play for Walsall on the terms being offered.
Merson has already stated that he does not favour the out and out attacking position, feeling he can influence the game more from the midfield.
Before the game, Colin Lee obviously though it was the best tactics to employ. Perhaps now he may reasses that decision, but hindsight always gives you 20/20 vision.
Is Lee strong enough, YES. But I don't see the need to be strong with Merson. He's had his off-field problems, but I don't remember him being a disruptive influence in the dressing room.

4 points from 2 tough games, one of which Merson dominated and you are slagging him off already. Christ, lets hope the bloke doesn't have a bad game, you'll be building some gallows on the carpark.

By Stu (195.92.67.76) on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 05:29 pm: Edit

Put things into perspective, for god's sake.

This was Coventry's first game of the season and it was at home. Just as we were up for it last week, Coventry were up for it this week. The signing of Staunton had given them a boost as well.

Junior was often non-existent in away matches, but I'd take Merson over Junior always.

Lee hasn't yet got the side out that he wants, he is still a striker and a defender short of the side he wants.

We could quite easily have 10pts out of 12 come next Tuesday morning.

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.194.18) on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 06:17 pm: Edit

What a tosser. We do have some right tossers that follow our club it has to be said, what a complete tosspot.

By Cal's a saddler (213.122.231.95) on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 06:30 pm: Edit

We are saddlers fans not dingle supporters, having ago at the slightest thing! Us have Junior instead of Merson ? I think not

By Me2 (195.92.168.172) on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 06:41 pm: Edit

is that a wind up Mark Davies???

Personally, I will be sad and disappointed if Junior signs for Derby, but, I will still be more than happy because we have Merse and a number of other quality players.

We must remember that we had a FANTASTIC game against the Baggies, and we are not going to perform like that each week.

I thought at Coventry, we didnt play that badly, and Coventry had a good game. They were closing us down very quickly and not allowing us to play the ball around. I must say, however, we did give the ball away a lot with some poor passing. A good away point in my book.

By cat3 (219.76.96.9) on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 07:10 pm: Edit

Good performance against Coventry, we got lucky stealing a point from them. We shall stay unbeaten winning Stoke and Crewe. We got god in side, we also got luck in our side. It's now for you to believe what Gladiator Merson can do for Walsall. We shall stay unbeaten and prevail! For Honour!!!

SJ - Let's see if you got the light or we got the light. =P

By PGtips (194.117.133.9) on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 07:20 pm: Edit

For the past week Walsall Football Club has been discussed widely on national radio and TV. Both of our league games have been feature matches on Central Soccer Sunday. Last year our highlights were shown after the adverts if they were shown at all. We have had pages of coverage in the dinglehampton E&S in the week building up to the Wolves premier league kick off. Paul Merson has been given his own page (page - NOT column) in the same paper. He was even permitted to be critical of Molinuex. Steve Bull, or indeed any other Wolves player was never given their own opinion page. We have scored quality goals and passed the ball around the park like Brazil. We are unbeaten and have spent a week on top of the league.

Mark Davies - yeah you're right what a waste of time signing Merson.

By PGtips (194.117.133.182) on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 07:30 pm: Edit

I thought at the time that Zigor's clumsy challenge was a penalty. Having seen it on TV and watched it over again surely he did make contact. Safri then exaggerated his roll as he hit the ground but surely we have had a big let off here.

Yesterday at times we completely surrendered the midfield. Full marks to Coventry who closed down our ball players Corica, Osborne and Merse very quickly. At times we were totally outplayed and it seemed only a matter of time that they would score. We did seem tired - but Coventry did not play in last weeks heatwave and were fresher than us. Full marks then to Jimmy and the defence for keeping the clean sheet.

Its great to be outplayed and still not lose.

By MinnietheMoocher (213.122.76.254) on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 08:25 pm: Edit

Merson is better palyer than junior

By Zigors right foot (81.131.74.37) on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 08:46 pm: Edit

I agree with PGTips, Zigor was lucky the ref didn't give another penalty - Safri was unlucky to be sent off.
Also, I was concerned with the way Jim bumped into the ref with his chest during the protests. Another ref could have sent him off!

By Cannock (62.31.218.30) on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 09:07 pm: Edit

I really cannot believe this Merson/Junior row. What planet are you all on for heaven's sake?

By SheffieldSaddler (195.93.33.12) on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 10:18 pm: Edit

It just clearly shows what t*ssers we still have following Walsall FC. Mark Davies, as much as I like to read other peoples posts I find your post the most PATHETIC load of CR*P I have read on this message board. You make sj look half human.
Grow up son, you are in such a minority with your views that they are not even worth discussing.

By Large Ken (138.250.115.124) on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 09:16 am: Edit

I was a bit concerned that Merson didn't look interested for most of the game on Saturday, but more concerning was our complete lack of closing down in midfield - not surprising we can't get out of our own box if we don't pick up their midfield players. When we got the ball we played some neat stuff but when we lost it the first line of defence was the edge of the area.

I know it would be a bit of a risk but I would also put a striker ahead of a defender in the signing priorities.

By Stu (212.137.33.208) on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 09:31 am: Edit

I think a defender is a higher priority.

Put this way. If we lose two defenders, one through injury and one through suspension for example, then we either have to change formations and completely disrupt whatever stable formation Lee wants to play. Although we can shift Bazeley across if we lose 1 player, it means we're making 2 changes as someone has to come in to replace Bazeley.
If we lose 2 players, then we either have to make 3 changes or change formation.

Where as, if we lose Jorge, then we've still got Corica, Lawrence, Wrack, Birch, Hawley, Fryatt and we can recall Bishop. And we can still play the formation Lee wants.

I think that is why he wants the defender as his first priority. After all, if you can keep a clean sheet then you know your going to get at least 1 point, where as you can score 2 goals and still lose as we found out last season.

I also think we're being a little fickle. Last Saturday everyone was saying "We don't need a forward after all, Corica was great". Now we go a game without scoring and its "we need a forward". Although I think its recognised that we need a 2nd striker, for me, the defender would be the higher priority.

By Tim Wilkes (213.2.152.35) on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 12:07 pm: Edit

Not a great game, thought we were very fortunate to get a point. The weekend was however saved by a fab trip to Kenilworth Castle and the sight of Cute Kiwi Saddler [who still thinks she supports Coventry] in a very fetching baseball cap.

By Frank Stubbs (195.93.33.12) on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 12:48 pm: Edit

Another point in the right direction,no classic would have been disapointed if we had lost.Staunton should have been sent off how did the ref miss that handball.In some ways we took a battering in midfield but still didnt loose that is a big positive.On the forward/defender debate we need both hopefully sooner rather than later,with an extra defender and an established sprout bag filler i really think we can go somewhere.
Come on you reds

By Dave Roe (217.37.14.235) on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 01:57 pm: Edit

Surely a striker is number one priority ?

I know we need a central defender, but that's in case of injuries and/or suspensions (which may or may not happen in the future). We need a striker NOW. We were totally lacking any attacking flair and pace on Saturday. This needs sorting asap.

By Jase (195.102.134.20) on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 02:03 pm: Edit

There's enough 'talent' from our local teams to get someone in on loan at least. Blues have Morrison and Kirovsky who are currently 4th & 5th down the pecking order. How many strikers do Wolves now have?? And what about Villa..... Theres so many rumours going on at the moment it makes you think that perhaps Lee was holding out for Junior. Now that finally looks dead, perhaps something will now materialise.

By Neil Ravenscroft (62.172.127.2) on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 02:24 pm: Edit

Wolves have 7. Camara, Iverson, Proudlock, Ndah, Blake, Sturridge and Miller. Two (Ndah and Miller) are injured at the moment, though, and one (Iverson) soon will be!

By Neil Ravenscroft (62.172.127.2) on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 02:25 pm: Edit

Sorry, Proudlock also crocked, so only four fit, the minimum number for the Premiership.

By Stu (212.137.33.208) on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 02:53 pm: Edit

Dave, its a bit harsh saying we need a striker ASAP because we had no flair or pace.

You say that 7 days after we put 4 past the Albion and were full of flair.

I'd rather get a centre half in so we can gurantee stability in terms of formation and tactics.

There is no point getting a striker in, if we then can't afford a defender.

The disruption caused by the loss of defender is that we have to make 2 changes (Bazeley for Centre Half, someone for Bazeley. The loss of two centre halves means a change in formation, a change in game plan due to the change in formation and the domino affect of needing to change style of play and tactics as well.

So, yes, whilst we need a forward the affect of losing just 1 centre half, never mind 2, is far greater.

I think thats the reason Lee keeps re-iterating his desire for a centre half as his first target. Unless of course, something unexpected comes about and a centre-forward lands in his lap.

Its a shame that Dion Dublin isn't left footed, that'd solve 2 positions (left sided centre half and a striker) with one player.

By Ian Gittins (213.165.1.130) on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 03:50 pm: Edit

I'm quite keen on this Colin Lee quote in the E&S today:

"We're going to get the odd hiccup in our play because I'm asking some of the players to do something they've never done before, which is to play football.

By Tim Wilkes (213.2.152.35) on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 04:21 pm: Edit

Yup....I had just e-mailed all my mates with that one. Neither has replied.

By Neil Ravenscroft (62.172.127.2) on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 04:51 pm: Edit

By the way, Tim, how was the cricket tour? (Or shouldn't I ask?)

The offspring didn't play yesterday, but got 75 the week before (5 sixes and 8 fours), then opened the bowling and got 6o 1m 2w 20r.

By Tim Wilkes (213.2.152.35) on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 05:32 pm: Edit

The cricket tour was great, depsite my run of scores...
Sunday v Kingskerswell...Did not Bat
Monday v Lydford.....duck
Tuesday v Kilmington....nought not out
Wednesday v Budleigh Salterton....a really long, lingering duck.
Thursday v Sidmouth....rested!!!
More scones, cream and cider than is healthy. The first tour I've ever been on where I took more wickets than made runs!! [er...1 wicket!!].

By popperpancake (81.77.120.200) on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 08:25 pm: Edit

We were lucky to get a point i felt. Defended well on occasions but they should have scored at least one, and we had the let off of the second penalty. A decent point given the way the game turned out. Coventry never let us settle on the ball, closed us down quickly and looked the better side. Merson shouldn't be playing as a striker i don't think. Was always trying one touch thru balls instead of holding it up, which was what we needed. Still if one had come off i wouldn't be saying it. Definitely better coming from deep (altho every1 knows this anyway.) Jorge was poor i thought, konjic had him in his pocket. Good start to the season tho ...i'd have taken 4 from 6 b4hand.

By Dave Roe (81.131.192.51) on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 10:55 pm: Edit

Well from what I saw at Coventry (and I'm not being critical or pessimistic) we lack any inventivness or creativity as soon as we get anywhere near their box. We seemed scared to venture into the penalty area, happier to pass it around the midfield and wait for a miracle.

We played very well against the Albion but you can't deny it was one of those days where everything went right for us. Unfortunately it won't happen very often.

I can't disagree with your points on needing cover in defence, Stu. The point I'm trying to make is that we may very well be in the smelly stuff if we are a central defender short but we are already a striker short (and the adverse effects are all ready starting to show).

By Stu (212.137.33.208) on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 08:17 am: Edit

Dave, my point is your saying we lack any inventiveness or creativity? This is 7 days after we had it in abundance against Albion.

Is it not possible that we were just well marshalled by an opposition team who were up for it, with it being their first home game of the season.

Lee has said that he knows some teams will try to do that to us, and some will succeed. Where as others will fail.

Its a bit harsh, and in my view an over-reaction, to say we lack inventiveness and creativity because we had one blank score-sheet.

By Tim Wilkes (213.2.152.35) on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 10:29 am: Edit

Jorge can't hold the ball up on the evidence of Saturday.....which is a bit of a negative in a lone striker!

By Geoff Whiting (80.177.14.124) on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 01:30 pm: Edit

Quite right Tim, and on the evidence of the last two Saturdays, nothing has changed my view that the more urgent need is for another striker.

OK another defender would be nice as well, but we have other experienced "utility" players who are capable of moving around the defence, namely Wrack, Emblen and Bazeley - as proved against Albion when Roper went off injured. We aren't so well-blessed up front, not having any experienced players who can fit in as alternative strikers in that same way, so for me the greater need is obviously up front.

I'm just hoping this finance meeting today will come up with some funds to allow CL to bring someone in.

By Dave Roe (217.37.14.235) on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 02:07 pm: Edit

Yes we were well marshalled by an opposition team who were up for it. Unless we get some more pace and creativity in the side then I think many more teams will do the same against us (especially away from Bescot).

By Delves Saddler (194.73.163.108) on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 02:42 pm: Edit

My brief input on this (having been away for a week I have come back to 700 posts, so have had to scan read) :-

I agree with Stu that there is definitely a need for a Centre half to keep a consitsency in the formation and the personnel in the key positions. Bazeley is needed at right wing-back. I also agree with the sentiments that a team that plays badly/below par and comes away undefeated is a good team (especially against a team 'up for it' for their first league game. 3 points at home and 1 away is championship form!

BUT, I also agree we need a striker urgently. Jorge looked way below his best on saturday and we can't afford that with him as the only natural striker on the pitch. I would have brought Birch on a lot earlier.

By Stu (212.137.33.208) on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 03:42 pm: Edit

Dave, if Merson, Corica, Osborn and Samways don't give a side enough creativity then you'll never have it.

All we are missing is some pace and strength up front. Strangely enough, something provided by Asaba, Bothyroyd, Dyer, Akinbiyi and Gifton Noel-Williams. Who have all been targets for Colin Lee.

Therefore, we know what type of striker he wants and he won't rush in.

I agree a striker is needed, and quickly, but I can see why a defender is his first choice. Although I'm sure if a striker comes along first then he'll take that. Its just a matter of which player falls into his lap first.

By Geoff Whiting (80.177.14.124) on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 04:18 pm: Edit

Delves, welcome back from hols. I wouldn't even call Jorge "a natural striker" - he doesn't have the speed of reaction or predatory look about him to take that title.

He's a bl**dy great worker who gives everything, and yes he'll probably be in the 14/15 goal category each season, but a natural striker should provide 22/23+ goals in my opinion.

For me we don't even have one natural striker amongst our senior ranks right now, hence the urgent need that I feel is there.

By Stu (195.92.67.76) on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 05:37 pm: Edit

Geoff, I think I could safely wager that there aren't even 10 "natural" strikers in this division if you say a natural striker scores 22/23 per season.

Its all well and good saying "We need a 22/23 goal striker", but so do 15 other teams in this division.

I bet you could count the number of players who hit 20 league goals plus last season on both your hands...

And unless you've got at least £500k in your back pocket, then we're not going to get one of them.

By SheffieldSaddler (195.93.33.12) on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 05:59 pm: Edit

Theres no doubt in my mind. Geoff has got 500k in his back pocket!

By Cal's a saddler (81.131.183.218) on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 07:00 pm: Edit

He's bound to have he's an accountant!!!!!!

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.166) on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 07:25 pm: Edit

OK, you've shamed me into it, I'm writing out a cheque for £500k and sending it to Colin Lee right now.

Now then, where's that cheque book ? ...............

Just better call the bank manager ...................

"Hi mate, Geoff here mate, look, if I write out a cheque for £500k to the Saddlers, what will I have left for myself for a rainy day ? ................

Sorry, how much ? .......... £495k, hey that's not too bad then ...........

What ?? Say that again I didn't catch it first time.

What ?

Sorry ????????

What d'ya mean - £495k overdrawn ??

Oh bugger !

Sorry Colin, looks like the deal's off !!

By Dave Roe (81.131.182.200) on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 10:38 pm: Edit

Only £5k in your bank account Geoff ?

Looks like they've short paid your salary this month then !

Anyway Sheff, he doesn't keep his money in his back pocket. You must have seen him slip it into the inside pocket of his green coat.

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.174) on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 01:05 am: Edit

I can see why you're an accountant same as me Dave, your arithmetic is spot on, no flies on you mate !

But who's this "they" you're on about when you say "they've short paid your salary this month".

I work for myself mate, so if anybody short paid me, there's only me that could have done it. None of the staff complained, which means I either paid 'em right or paid 'em too much ! And if I paid 'em all right, I doubt if I got my own pay wrong.

Still can't let CL have that lifeline though, but if I could, you can bet I would !

By Exile (203.167.253.205) on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 02:14 am: Edit

I reckon all self-employed Walsall fans should sell their businesses to enable CL to get the fee to sign a decent striker. After all, if you've set up from scratch once, you can do it again .

If this comes to pass, I'm sure that, modern god-botherer style, the rest of us salaried types can tithe a percentage of our paltry income to pay the wages .

The unemployed can send part of the food parcel whenever the Sallies deliver it, but only the nourishing bits - keep those tins of processed peas to yourselves .

Retired types can mind the player's bike (see retro footie threads ad nauseam).

Cheers all
Exile

By Neil Ravenscroft (62.172.127.2) on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 08:06 am: Edit

Don't forget Geoff's an accountant, so the £5,000 is what he tells the Inland Revenue he's got in the bank. They don't know about the numbered Swiss accounts and the off shore ones!

By Exile (203.167.253.205) on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 09:37 am: Edit

D'oh!

Yes, I forgot - those that have the most are more adept at hiding it, so the biggest contributors to HM's government tax plan are the ones who can least afford it.....

We'll never get a striker now!

Cheers all,
Exile

By Delves Saddler (194.73.163.108) on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 11:14 am: Edit

Incidentally, Geoff, yet again we failed to meet. Looked around for you at Coventry based on descriptions, but to no avail.

By Neil Ravenscroft (62.172.127.2) on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 11:20 am: Edit

Lee has said today he's stopped the defender search for the time being. (Team Talk)

By Me2 (195.92.168.177) on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 11:32 am: Edit

thats a bit concerning. its either a bluff, or maybe he has got a forward lined up now?

By Neil Ravenscroft (62.172.127.2) on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 11:55 am: Edit

Maybe both. I get the impression he likes to play the bluff every now and again. Mind you, it might just be Team Talk getting it wrong again!

By Stu (212.137.33.208) on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 12:24 pm: Edit

If thats true, you can only assume that moves for whoever he was talking to/looking at have fallen through. Whether that be Paul Ritchie or not...

By Geoff Whiting (80.177.14.124) on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 01:11 pm: Edit

Delves, I looked around for you too, but to no avail.

I think I said I'd be with my son Chris and gave his description - trouble was, the silly sod decided to stay in his seat at half-time, so I was walking around on my own - so if, as I expect, you were looking for two of us, the plan back-fired !!

By Dave Roe (217.37.14.235) on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 01:49 pm: Edit

Why didn't you give him a clip around the ear and tell him to get off his ar5e, Geoff ?

Oh yeah, he's bigger than you, isn't he !

Thanks for the compliments on my arithmetic. It's nice to know my spreadsheet is working well !!!

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.171) on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 04:33 pm: Edit

No Dave, not bigger than me, but he is a black-belt second dan, so I have to keep my comments to myself sometimes !

By Cannock (213.48.83.41) on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 06:33 pm: Edit

Geoff's got loads of dosh, must have - he even made Sheff fork out for the meal when he lost the bet. Sticky wallet Whiting

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.171) on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 08:42 pm: Edit

You bast@rd Cannock - just remember it was all down to Sheff's great generosity that he paid for that first meal, and it was ME that paid for the next one - and it wasn't cheap for either of us feeding you greedy lot on Fan's fabulous Cantonese cuisine, especially ucow who can eat for England as we all unfortunately know !

I've e-mailed everyone tonight about the next meal, well everyone who expressed an interest anyway. if there are any others who haven't heard from me tonight and want to attend on Wednesday 10th September, just e-mail me on [email protected] and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.171) on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 08:45 pm: Edit

Stu, just going back a bit, are you of the opinion that Jorge can be described as a "natural striker" then ?

Or do you think, like me, that he is a natural work-horse who'll get a little way into double figures each season ?

By Stu (195.92.67.75) on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 09:06 pm: Edit

Geoff, agree with your description entirely. Jorge is a rare breed, ie, a foreign player who plays more like an english striker, ie, hard-working, gives 110%, puts his head where others dont and generally runs himself into the ground. I think in Division 1 he is capable of 15/16 league goals per season, which is 1 every 3 games which is a good ratio. But I don't think he is a 20 goal man.

But, because of his role, you need someone similar-ish to him alongside him. Which is why Lee has gone after Dyer, Noel Williams, Bothroyd, Asaba and Akinbiyi. All strong, fast, direct, powerful strikers who would help Jorge up front.

If you've got two strikers scoring 16/17 each, you wouldn't complain.

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.170) on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 10:17 pm: Edit

Too right I wouldn't - now what are you waiting for ? Get on Championship Manager and find us one Stu !

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.170) on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 10:19 pm: Edit

Oh yeah Stu, I also meant to say you've got until Saturday about 2pm - have your report on my table at the Saddlers Club by then - don't let us down now !

Return to 2003-04 Season