Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

WBA (h) - League - 9th August 2003

Reports and reaction from the 2003-04 season as Walsall finished 22nd (R) in Division 1
Andy
UTS Regular

WBA (h) - League - 9th August 2003

Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:21 pm

By pintofstella (217.44.244.50) on Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 04:09 pm: Edit

merson a bad signing???

2 goals in the first 40 minutes. As what appears to be the only doubter in mersons abilities marc, i think you should stand up and eat a very large slice of humble pie.

By DB (81.97.56.44) on Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 04:53 pm: Edit

COME ON!!! Oh what a sweet day to support the Saddlers. Arrogant Baggies firmly put in their place and I (don't)expect a few to be eating humble pie in the next few days. Top of the league. My question: how far can we go this season and will we now buy that striker to capitalise on this start?

By Daniel Platt (217.42.96.37) on Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 05:14 pm: Edit

So proud of the lads. We have soundly beaten a side who have been relegated from the Premiership and have invested heavily. Bit worried about Ropes going off. Only downer- MeirStoke must be in a good mood after the Derby game which is a shame!

By Dave Gittins (195.92.194.16) on Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 05:32 pm: Edit

Unfortunately I couldn't be there today much to my regret. From the sound of the commentary we weathered the storm and for once were clinical on the break.

I'll say it again - Merson, what a signing!!

Who would be a Baggies fan?

By Cannock (213.48.83.239) on Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 05:48 pm: Edit

Quite magnificent. Albion were totally outplayed. As for the man of the match, i haven't a clue. Merson was awe inspiring, Emblen was solid as a rock and Corica was simply fantastic. Samways controlled the centre. All in all a fantastic all round team performance. My MOM just about goes to Emblen. What a cool, commanding centre half he is. Brilliant.

By Jorge14 (195.93.34.10) on Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 05:57 pm: Edit

Today was absolutely outrageous! In goals Wacka was brilliant, as per usual, Emblem was an absolute rock, as were Hay and Bazeley. Zigor and Wracky were solid, and good going forward. Merson, Samways, Ozzie and (yes Sheff), even Steve Corica were absolute different class. Jorge was superb, ever alert and an absolute work-horse. Disapointed to see Ropes injured, but he was sitting next to his wife in the second half.

Fair play to the Baggies fans, gave Merson drinks and applauded him, and, to be fair, they didn't boo their team when I would have been pulling my hair out. Koumas was a different class as well.

MOM - everyone will give it to Merson in the media, but a football fan would give it to Emblen.

Also, I saw Matt Smith from Central, who is the most arogant man you could meet, at the ground. Strange, we do well and Central care about us. Fair play to WM and BBC, they stick with us no matter what...

We can't get carried away, but let's face it...we pissed on them.

By redordead (213.122.22.15) on Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 06:15 pm: Edit

wahay..............what a day. sat in the purple upper with baggies fans behind me. They even clapped mersons two goals. and a quick word about the baggies fans, they all (well those left inside the ground) stood and applauded merse off the pitch which was nice to see i dont think he would have got that of the dingles. fair play to them

By redordead (213.122.22.15) on Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 06:17 pm: Edit

you can see why the wolves got rid of Emblem, he's not a bad player

By freda g (195.93.34.10) on Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 06:20 pm: Edit

The season is over.Results don't get any better than that.Emblen superb.

By Delves Saddler (82.37.161.192) on Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 06:44 pm: Edit

Someone pinch me - I can't believe what I have just witnessed.

Geoff, I would normally hate to rub it in but I pity you missing that perfromance.

Emblen MOM for me too, although Merse and Zigor pushed their claims really well.

The whole team was superb - we absolutely outclassed them in every department and some of our triangular inter-passing and long passing was a joy to watch. I don't think I have ever seen a Walsall side play football of that quality with that much possession. I can see what Merson meant by total football at walsall, and whereas in the past we have shown the desire to play total football, we actually did it today, emphatically.

The only negative was the injury to Roper, although the back three of bazeley, hay (i'm glad my faith in him on here has been justified) and emblen were class in the tackle and distribution. Zigor had his best game for Walsall for ages (if not for ever) and Wrack plugged the whole left by bazeley very well after Roper's departure.

The midfield totally controlled the game after the first ten minutes and the variety of passing, tackling back and off the ball running was excellent. The build up to the third goal would have made most premiership sides proud.

Up front, Jorge at times looked a bit lonely and could have done with some help but as per usual he ran his bollox off for us, with corica capping a fine performance with a superb goal.

If only Junior had signed - imagine the rout if he had been up front with Jorge...

Right, I'm off to get p*ssed in celebration.....

By Xabia Saddler (80.58.39.42) on Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 06:52 pm: Edit

Can´t believe it. Here in sunny Pedroland, had to suffer noisy Hammers supporters since lunchtime but they´ll need to show more respect now.

Bit p'd of that I missed it, Mrs Fish will have to choose different dates next year.

By Jim (195.92.168.173) on Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 07:13 pm: Edit

Seeing as the Premier does not kick off 4 another week that makes us the best team in the country at the moment. Never thought I would be able to say that.

Cummon the Reds, if we play like that every week we will be laughing all the way!!!!

By Hairy Saddlebags (172.188.154.26) on Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 07:15 pm: Edit

I'll tell you what, Geoff Whiting will be green as his coat with envy having to miss that match.

By rugeleysaddler (81.107.12.214) on Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 07:43 pm: Edit

fantastic. Reckon we might have seen the top 3 goals of the season. Merson's first and corica' goal were the best. It was by far Corica best game in a Walsall shirt (only his performance against forest away 2 seasons ago comes close.

Emblem was really assured. a proper ball playing centre half.

Merson was so imaginitive, loved it when he tired to get passed the Albion defender by pretending to fall over.

Compare Stoke away last season I was freezing cold and had never been so depressed this is very much the opposite feeling.

By stuart (82.37.177.85) on Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 08:49 pm: Edit

saw the saddlers first play in 1970 weve had good times bad times and realy crap times this though is the first time in 33 years i can really hold my head up high and without being sarcastic and say we played them off the pitch . this has got to be the best team performance by a saddlers side.well done to every one at bescot youve made me proud,youve made everyone proud. also my man of match was the team because every one of them played there part.

By gray ellwood (81.131.179.138) on Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 08:50 pm: Edit

Today i was supposed to go on holiday but i "let everybody down" by staying at home to go and see "a stupid football match"

in my life i would rate my biggest regret as going on holiday instead of going to the play off final. now i rate my best decision as going to see one of walsall's best performances instead of going away. I feel totally justified!!

By hullsaddler (212.50.176.27) on Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 08:53 pm: Edit

Amazing.When we went 4 up it was completely unbelievable.Superb quality goals.Hope ITV have a highlights prog so I can see them again.I thought it was an outstanding team performance.I know merson will grab the main headlines but I thought that Emblem produced a totally complete defensive performance.
Enjoyed listening to Megson moaning on WM on the way home,wish the interviewer had asked him if he regretted turning down Merson!

By cheese bag (81.131.132.73) on Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 09:21 pm: Edit

Just can't stop smiling, Loved the WE are top of the league chants.......

By cheese bag (81.131.132.73) on Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 09:24 pm: Edit

Just can't stop smiling, Loved the WE are top of the league chants.......

By Slater (81.135.33.115) on Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 09:28 pm: Edit

What a day, what a team, what a man. Theres a new king in walsall and his name is paul merson. what a fantastic signing by coiln. all the lads played great well done boyz. from a very proud saddlers fan. come on lads keep it up!!!!!!

By Don Rogers (80.47.203.62) on Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 10:02 pm: Edit

Well, and again! Whip me with Geoff's green coat!! Am I dreaming or just delirious??

What a performance!! From Super Jim through Zigor - where are the critics now?? - and Corica to worker Jorge (via the superb midfield, and that's not just Magic Merse either)! AND, don't forget we lost the Player of the Season after 11 minutes!

Absolutely marvellous! How many passes were there leading to the third goal??

Full marks however to all Saddler fans for the minutes silence and also to all the Baggies fans for their praise for Merson. I must go now and sit up a corner and relive the memory of those goals and the "Ole's" once more! (Sorry, Geoff!)

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.175) on Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 10:04 pm: Edit

Delves, Hairy Saddlebags, yes it was tough missing this, but thankfully we had a live WM commentary at the wedding, from a carefully concealed radio !

To be honest, yes I'm gutted to have missed this, but the result and how it was achieved is far more important than that.

Two years ago we had the ever-whinging Megson moaning about letting in two set-piece goals that cost them the game, saying that it was unprofessional, two set pieces cost them a game they should have won 1-0. Strange how he totally overlooked the fact that THEIR goal was from a Clement free-kick, which I always thought was a ......... SET PIECE ! Double standards, hypocritical, or what ?

So how good was that today, 4 goals from open play, and no way Megson can whinge and moan about set-pieces, his team simply undone by a better side on the day, by superior total football from a side with true class. Yes, true class - how nice is it to be able to say that and know that it's true ? Brilliant, no other word for it.

All smiles tonight

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.175) on Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 10:06 pm: Edit

OK Don, say what you like mate, I'm on cloud nine tonight after this result

By Hairy Saddlebags (172.187.159.88) on Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 10:55 pm: Edit

Sorry to disappoint Geoff, but the Ginger Whinger has been living up (down?) to his reputation.

Interviewed on Sky sports news he claimed that all our goals were just down to bad and naive defending and that he thought Albion could and should have got something from the game. OK they did have a bit of possession and some half chances but the man just cannot accept they lost to a better team. At times Megson makes Joe Royle and Neil Warnock look like fair-minded well balanced individuals.

By Surrey Saddler (195.93.34.10) on Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 10:58 pm: Edit

Its all been said above. What a superb day. Just arrived back after the seeing the lads put one goal (and then another) (and one more)(and still one more) into the back of the Baggies net. On the advice of Kingpin went to the King Arthur. When I was a kid it was just fields around there! But thanks Kingpin, Popperpancake, SJ and Bangsection for your recommendation. My son was happy to see Forest win on the TV and, yes Danny Sonner came on and played quite well. Never mind we have other mid fielders now!!!Also the food was good value. Oh and yes, SJ, where were you?

By John Breakwell (81.134.112.23) on Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 11:41 pm: Edit

As a Wolves fan, this has to be one of the best start-of-season results I could ask for. I have a lot of respect for Lee, Emblen (great bloke) and friends (Corica, Osborn, Bazeley) - to see Walsall humble ex-Prem Albion with such a side just warms the heart. Keep it up - the Premiership beckons!!!

By Exile (203.98.50.24) on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 12:37 am: Edit

Not wishing to burst anyone's bubble, but Albion are hardly good opposition to the Saddlers. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this the sixth straight game where we've got points off them?

That aside, I couldn't believe it. Highlights on Sky news in NZ - that's how good we were!

Cheers all
Exile

By PGtips (62.30.192.1) on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 12:41 am: Edit

Were we really at Bescot today or was it the Bernabou stadium? Total football and a goal of the season competition on day one. Corica was outstanding - his goal was better than Juniors against Preston last year. How many one touch passes were there in the move that lead to the third goal? Merson - from a different planet. You'll never beat Neil Emblen. For God's sake - even Zigor looked good today.

Quite simply the best performance I have ever seen from a Walsall XI.

By Neil Ravenscroft (82.37.184.146) on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 08:07 am: Edit

I hate to disagree, but I'm wondering what will happen when Merson and Osborn have a good game! I thought both their passing ranges were a little off. Mind you, you won't see two better finishes, other than Corica's.
MoM for me was a toss up between Jim, Emblen, Aranalde, the magnificent Samways and the inspirational Corica, but I'll give it to Emblen.
It's just like watching Brazil.

By DF (80.47.210.51) on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 08:21 am: Edit

Have to agree with most of the above. Given the quality of opposition, the conditions, the loss of Roper and the fact it was a local Derby this has to be our best ever Bescot performance.
Thought I'd seen our goal of the season on 19 minutes and then watched us score 3 that were even better.

By sj (195.93.34.10) on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 09:08 am: Edit

What a day. For me the "Golden age" was the Buckley era but those days are gone-- now is the best ever the beginning of a new and better "Golden Age"

Two baggies fans behind me giving it large for the first fifteen mins.then sweet silence a silence that told it all. Osborn was a revelation Emblen was masterful, Corica just buzzed around all day, sublime. Merson fantastic skill fantastic football brain. But the Biggest hero of the day was/is Colin Lee he has made it happen- Thanks Colin.

Salop--mate I think we actually spoke I was sitting just inside the door of the top room of the Arthur with two other blokes I was the thin one with the shorts on. If I remember Salop you were holding your programme and my brother asked you if you been to the game and did you attend every week, I said little you know me mate. It was good to see you, next time you go to the game post on here and I'll buy you a pint. Salop you probably realise that the Arthur is a baggies pub the boss Nigel Cumberbatch is a massive Albion fan the banter was sweet he and others were visibly getting angry- "oh what a night early august 1993", indeed what a totally august performance by the SADDLERS

By Stephen Mumford (203.26.24.216) on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 09:22 am: Edit

Dreamland...I can't believe I am stuck in miserable Sydney missing the Saddlers thrash Albion in beautiful Walsall ;)

By boris (195.92.194.12) on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 10:55 am: Edit

What a superb day. My first match as a season ticket holder could not have been better.

Emblem was the man of the match for me. And was this the best ever defensive performance by Zigor, who looked almost rock-like at the back.

We always said that in Div One if you don't take your chances you get done. That happened to us loads last season and yesterday it happened to the Baggies.

But lets not go overboard - had the Merse not struck two beauties when we were under the cosh big time, it would have been a very different story. The Baggies were quite unlucky in a way...there for the grace of God go we.

But for now WE ARE TOP OF THE LEAGUE. I think the sweetest day at Bescot ever - even better than beating Sjoke (after the shhhsshh from another king of arrogance, Kavanagh).

By andy leyland (212.126.144.12) on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 11:00 am: Edit

come on u reds!!!!! . brilliant performance lads , emlem was inspirational , but just think wat we could do if we still had junior

By Frank Stubbs (195.93.34.10) on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 11:09 am: Edit

Two baking hours on the M6 by Stoke i am questioning my sanity,battled through to the Bescot then......
A win at any price would have been ok,but the manor of our performance and the quality of the goals were something else.First time i have seen the new lads and so far so good Merson's excellent,lets hope we keep him fit,Osborne i liked and for me Emblem my man of the match,simply outstanding.Zigor impressed me and i was pleased for Corica a super strike,i pray to god he his back to his best.
The icing on the cake for me was being surrounded by very arrogant Baggies fans in the H L Fellows family stand,christ they thought that by turning up the points were guaranteed,there faces and silence by half time was priceless.
Its only one game but what a game it was,only 47 points of safety and counting.

By PT (213.48.240.27) on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 11:18 am: Edit

It's all been said really. A fantastic day to be a Saddler. Whilst Merse has grabbed all the headlines (and rightly so, cos the bloke's touch,vision and finishing were different class yesterday) there were great performances in every other department, not least Walker. What about that priod of pocession we had in the second half, stringing what must have been 15-20 passes together? Sublime.
Great to sit on the Brum bound train after the game listening to the Albion fans take on the game. They were stunned.
Dedicated to Woodster. RIP mate.

By Surrey Saddler (152.163.253.34) on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 11:25 am: Edit

SJ. Much as I like Shropshire(Salop) I now live in Surrey. Yes it was me with the programme. Give my regards to the big bloke who shook my hand. I used to live quite near the Arthur. Then there were fields. The food was good. Was boss man the guy in shorts behind the bar.

By Mart L (195.92.168.168) on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 11:26 am: Edit

Woodster? Is that the guy mentioned in the prog?? I think I recognise him from away days. Only young wasn't he? RIP

By PT (213.48.240.27) on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 11:36 am: Edit

Mart L, yes it was. Was an occasional poster on here (actually posted twice on the day he died). Top bloke, sadly missed, but he'd hate for us to get all down after a day like yesterday. The words "divine inspiration" spring to mind!!

By sj (195.93.34.10) on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 12:13 pm: Edit

Sorry Surrey. The big lad is a season ticket holder another accountant I will give him your regards.And yes that was Cumberbatch I think when he was a lad he was on either Walsall or the Baggies books but never made it.

See you in the Arthur next time your up

By Porto Saddler (62.31.220.59) on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 12:19 pm: Edit

Excellent performance today. Defence looked solid and Neil Emblen was our so called ''Big Dave'' today. Big Dave who. Bazeley worked well and was effective in what I think was a sweeperish role and picked up the pieces well.

Delighted for Corica in particular today. After all the stick he got from Walsall fans last season, Corica showed to us the player that he really is.

And as a little tribute to Magic Man....
Sung to the tune of i am the Music Man.

I am the Magic Man i come from down your way and i can play. And i can play.
I am the Magic Man.
Magic Magic Magic Man
Magic Man Magic Man
Magic Magic Magic Man
Magic Magic Man.

Up the saddlers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By ANDREW WEBSTER (82.37.172.203) on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 12:58 pm: Edit

I WOULD LIKE TO APPOLIGISE TO WBA FANS SPENSER GIBBONS AND JULLIAN WORREL WHO HAD A REALLY MISERABLE TIME IN THE PURPLE STAND.P.S WHY DID YOU LEAVE EARLY?
WEBBY

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.194.12) on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 01:26 pm: Edit

Better than Brazil, Sexier than the Dutch, Slicker than a well oiled slick thing. Did anyone count how many passes we strung together during that spell when we were totally taking the p!ss out of them? Must have been nigh on 20. I wonder if Portsmouth turned in a better performance than that at any time last season. Everything's been said about the players, but let's not forget the man behind the scenes ie. Bonser and Lee. They have taken this football club and turned it on its head in the last two years. I never thought I would ever see a performance like that at Bescot, quite simply better than anything I've ever seen in 28 seasons man and boy. Yes Merson is the magic man but to get that personnel on the budget we're on makes Colin Lee a magician in my book. If we're going to play like that every week can the club please leave a collection tin at the exits so I can donate additional funds on the way out, I was embarrassed to pay 12 quid to watch that and would happily pay double.

By Inquisitive Saddler (213.48.83.164) on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 02:51 pm: Edit

Andrew Webster? Would that be Nobby of old?

By Forza Walsall (195.93.34.10) on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 03:06 pm: Edit

Here Here, Geordie.

What a treat.

By Leamore Saddler (80.225.62.234) on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 04:00 pm: Edit

PT

Sorry to read about Woodster. I haven't got a programme from yesterday. When did he pass away? What was the cause? I believe he was one of the considerable ex-Queen Mary's mafia on this board, wasn't he?

By PAULIO (81.131.80.59) on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 06:18 pm: Edit

Magical Merson what a capture the day belonged to him yesterday but Emblem has to be one of the main bargins of the summer if he plays like that all year then cant see many goals going past us "solid as a rock".

Well done the boys, but like many other people have said Colin Lee espicially, he should be wearing the brightest smile of the day knowing that he has built a strong enough side that is capable of beating the best teams in the division on such a a limited budget. I remember the cries of last season "sack the dingle" didnt quite here them yesterday. Bonser too deserves credit for appointing someone with Lee's ambitions nice to see the ball going forward instead of backwards.

Other than Cardiffi cant think of a better day to be a saddler glorious weather capped by a glorius performance. Happy times at the Bescot from now on

By PT (213.48.246.109) on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 08:00 pm: Edit

Leamore, yes, Ian left QM in 86, he died of a heart attack on 3rd July. He'd have loved yesterday (not least the amount of ale sank before and after) which is why we all need to savour days like yesterday, cos you never know.

On the Corica front I hope last season was as a result of him becoming a father. Tom Bennett had a wretched time just after he became a dad. In this modern era where the bloke is supposed to do his bit, where your physical fitness is imperative in your job it would be impossible not to suffer at work. Corica was ace yesterday, Merse had been waxing lyrical about Corica's ability before yesterday and they obviously click together (the way he read Merse's 'spin'and took his goal yesterday was poetry in motion). When he was kicked up in the air with about quarter of an hour to go it was as good as albion saying the we and he in particular were just too good for them.

If anybody dare still doubt the departure of Graydon and the appointment of Lee just think back to the last time we played Albion, compare, contrast, hold your hand up and say "Well done Bonser".

By PGtips (194.117.133.182) on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 09:02 pm: Edit

I always thought Corica looked a bit lightweight but credit to him yesterday. It was painful to watch him get dumped onto the concrete after falling over the wall in the first half. But he just got up and walked off - I honestly worried he may have broken his back.

Geordie - Merson interviewed on Central Soccer Sunday claimed that we did indeed play better football yesterday than Pompey managed in any game last season.

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.67.70) on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 09:19 pm: Edit

Well there you go, I guess that sums up how good it was.

By popperpancake (81.79.94.183) on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 10:19 pm: Edit

Not much to add to above. The four goals were magnificent. tremendous. Awesome. Wonderful.

By cat3 (203.218.192.191) on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 09:47 am: Edit

1 Game Win. 47 More to go. We are on the top of the first division league, that needs total football style celebration! YES!!! Merson is magic!!! hahahaha... Premiership, here we come!

By salop saddler (213.78.104.124) on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 09:48 am: Edit

It was better than very good sex. Delicious football of the very highest order.

By Sads (80.177.26.71) on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 12:51 pm: Edit

VIOLENCE - Does anyone know what happened in the town before and after?

Imperial was closed, violence in The Courthouse and red lion - who was it?

By Hairy Saddlebags (172.190.131.52) on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 12:58 pm: Edit

Sads - if you're really that interested in what the Burberry bedwetters get up to - go to intheknow where you'll find out who went "toe to toe" who gave who a "slap" and who asked who for a "dance".

In reality this means two sets of blokes on opposite sides of the road going "come on then" and pretending to be disappointed when the Old Bill come along and move 'em on.

By Me2 (195.92.168.166) on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 01:11 pm: Edit

is anyone else desperate for next saturday to arrive...i know we got the cup on tuesday, but I want six points god dammit!

saturday was bliss. if we can play like that all season then we have got a play off place in the bag at least. man of the match has got to be emblen, absolutely fantastic. having said that, everyone had a fantastic game.

By Gory Wilson (82.36.169.81) on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 02:36 pm: Edit

Pedro, Theres only 1 Pedro, theres only 1 Pedro, theres only 1 Pedro. With Merse and Pedro in midfield theres no stopping the Saddlers this year. Personally im surprised Pedro hasnt been snapped up by a Premiership side. Premiership here we come! PEDRO 4 ENGLAND!

By p (143.167.6.86) on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 03:41 pm: Edit

Money-spinning idea for the club....
Please, please, please put this match out on a video/DVD.
I could watch those goals over and over again, and when I get bored of that I can laugh at the Baggies fans faces.

By Denmark Hill Saddler (217.207.78.58) on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 04:04 pm: Edit

Already phoned up the club this morning to ask about a video of the game - no plans they say - advised me to call Sky instead! Not a huge amount of imagination, if you ask me.

By Ian Gittins (213.165.1.130) on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 04:22 pm: Edit

'Twas certainly a marvellous day. Merson all we could have hoped, Corica tremendous, virtually the whole team played out of their skins. Sure, we still need a forward, and defensive cover, but I'm sure they're in hand... and things are looking fantastic.

So let's hope Carlisle don't prove an unexpected banana skin...

By Cockerney Saddler (212.162.206.130) on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 05:12 pm: Edit

Great performance, great goals, great day.
Couldn't go along (brother's stag) but was kept up to date via text and then basked in the glory of the goals on Sky. And then, of course, you fellas filled me in on all the rest. One of my mates, who is a rabid Albion fan, is still in shock and can't quite speak.
Great start, let's keep it going!

And for those of you who're finding that the feel good factor is just starting to fade slightly this afternoon, here's a quote from Merse that should have you bathing in glory for the rest of your living days!
"That was the ultimate debut," Merson said. "Our passing and movement was close to total football. Don't get me wrong, we wouldn't have troubled Arsenal or Manchester United, but in all my time with Portsmouth we never
played to that standard. We won games, we ground out results but our passing and movement were never as good as it was today. The winner at the end of the day was football."

I have emailed this to my Albion friend many, many times today!

By SheffieldSaddler (195.93.34.10) on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 06:54 pm: Edit

What can I say. Just got back to Sheffield. One of the best days in my life as a Saddler. Not only because of the result but also witnessing the best 3 goals Walsall have ever scored in one match. Pure quality from Merson and my number one Corica. Who doubted Corica can now see the bloke is pure class. True, he didnt have an outstanding season last season but play him in this sort of position on a regular basis and what we did when we first signed him and you will see the quality shine through, I promise you all.
It is very hard to pick man of the match because of the quality of everyone. Walker in goal, Aranalde and Emblen at the back and also the entire midfield.
Personally I think a lot of Osborne. I thought he was superb today. I like this sort of player, a player who simply goes about his business without looking totally outstanding. He didnt put a foot wrong all match, and him and Samways complement each other in midfield like Beckham and Keane!
Just one final statement to my friend Cannock - I told you so!

By Cannock (62.31.217.187) on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 11:17 pm: Edit

I'm afraid Sheff, i really do have to agree with you on this one. It no longer pains me to say that Corica was quite magnificent. I have even been proudly blurting his praises at work (to retorts of you two faced git). However, i am glad that i was mistaken.
On the subject of Colin Lee. I admit, in the past i have been extremely critical of his way of playing football. I now understand that he never had the "type" or quality of players required in order to play "his" game. If you had asked me prior to the season who was the best manager ever to have managed the club then Mr. Lee would have been nowhere near the top. If you asked me now... i would bear his children.

To sum up, Mr Corica had a fantastic match and long may this continue. Mr Lee has proven me wrong. Based on Saturdays performance and his acquisitions over the summer, i now believe him to have what it takes to get the Saddlers to the next level. Fantastic.

How's that then buddy?

PS Me2, agree about Emblen, brilliant. But, don't book your trip to Cardiff just yet. Chill.

By ShropshireSaddler (195.92.168.165) on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 12:47 am: Edit

Just about come down off Saturday's high now and thought I'd introduce a reality check. Me2 thinks we have a play-off spot "in the bag". Personally I'll be more than happy with mid-table.Saturdaywas amazing but we won't play like that every week and we won;t play a team as poor as Albion. It remains to be seen whether they improve as the season goes on but the Baggies were awful and their tactic of hitting the long hopeful ball up front played right into our hands.
Other teams will test us far more during the season and, as brilliant as our midfield is when going forward, they looked poor defensively.
As I say, Saturday was amazing, but let's not get carried away.

By Geordiesaddler (193.195.190.230) on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 09:20 am: Edit

Shropshire, It always amazes me when on the rare occasions as Walsall fans we witness something like Saturday people say "don't get carried away".
Why not? We could lose to Carlisle tonight and get stuffed on Saturday, to me if you can't get carried away after an occasion like Saturday when can you exactly?

Reality is Albion will probably finish in the top six. To me If we play like that week in week out there isn't a team in this league that we need fear, therefore injuries permitting its very much up to us, we have the ability we proved that beyond doubt on Saturday. Saturday happened, rejoice, life will dish out a enough reality checks in due course without us needing to imagine them before they happen.

By popperpancake (81.134.68.87) on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 09:26 am: Edit

Just look at the wolves and stoke fans. They must have seen a performance like that about 70 yrs ago. They got carried away and now look at them.

By Me2 (195.92.168.167) on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 09:56 am: Edit

Shropshire, I didnt just say we have a play off spot it then bag. I actually said "if we can play like that all season then we have got a play off place in the bag at least". Big difference, you may want to read posts a little more thoroughly.

As for not getting carried away, I agree with Geordie - why not?? We got a fantastic result against a team tipped for promotion, we played VERY well, and scored some cracking goals and as others have said I think we even had more mileage in us. Good reason to start looking forward to the rest of the season.

As Colin Lee said this week, when he came to Walsall there was a mediocre attitude at the club. He felt we were happy being also rans. That persumably means the board, the team, the back room staff etc. I personally also feel that us fans had settled for mediocre standards, and now (after some quality additions to the team) we are in a position to hope for nothing more than a play off place. Why not?

By Me2 (195.92.168.167) on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 09:59 am: Edit

...last sentence should have read "nothing less than a play off place"...sorry about the waffle, I am a bit tired

By Me2 (195.92.168.167) on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 10:46 am: Edit

looks like the requets for videos of the games have paid off, you can order them (and other games) now.

By Denmark Hill Saddler (217.207.78.58) on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 11:25 am: Edit

Where did you see the info about the videos of the games Me2?

By Me2 (195.92.168.172) on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 11:28 am: Edit

on the official site mate.

Return to 2003-04 Season