Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bolton (a) - Worthington Cup - 24th September 2003

Reports and reaction from the 2003-04 season as Walsall finished 22nd (R) in Division 1
Andy
UTS Regular

Bolton (a) - Worthington Cup - 24th September 2003

Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:13 pm

By Crewe Saddler (195.93.33.12) on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 11:19 pm: Edit

Just got in.

We deserved to loose, Bolton were the better side.

I'm not sure why our early "goal" was disallowed, it was at the other end of the pitch. The ref seemed to give the goal, then changed his mind, someone said that the linesman signalled a foul, doubt very much it was offside.

Bolton's first goal appeared offside to me, sadly, the linesman didn't agree!

No arguments about their second, a quality finish.

Birch did really well to set up our (Merson's) goal, showed strength and skill in holding off challenges to get the cross in. The Bolton players were appealing for a foul by Birch, they probably had a case, but we were due to get a decision in our favour.

I couldn't see whether it was a hand-ball for their penalty, again, the other end of the pitch.

We had a fair amount of possesion, but we seemed intent on playing intricate little passes through the middle of the pitch to try and break Bolton down, we had little in the way of width and created few chances.

Bolton, especially early in the second half, had a number of chances, we were lucky not to loose by more. They were assisted by some sloppy defending at times.
In fairness we were against a team containing the likes of Okocha, Jardel and Ibrahim Ba. Jardel didn't look fit, but finds space in the penalty area so well. Wonder if we can borrow him for a few months ......

Fryatt had little service after he came on as sub, Burton was poor before he was substituted (by Birch), getting caught offside a number of times.
Merson gave the ball away too often for my liking. Lawrence looks better playing wide right, but kept drifting infield to little effect.

I like the Reebok, nice stadium, bloody annoying band though, little atmosphere with around 5000 in, 3 or 4 hundred from Walsall I guess.

By LarryHagler (81.134.20.183) on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 11:39 pm: Edit

I'm very worried.
Also just got in. Lack of passion. Lack of skill.
We were not 'up for it' tonight and I'm getting sick of it. We again, deserved nothing. School boy defending at times against an overweight and slow striker in Jardel, non existent midfield and Deon Burton ????
Although I thought Merse and Corrica played OK we never closed them down and we just let them play.
Watching the last 4 performances we have to improve dramatically over the next 2 home games if, and we need to win.
CL tactics still baffling me, and the players by the look of it. God I'm Pissed Off.
I'm struggling to be optimistic.

By PGtips (194.117.133.182) on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 11:44 pm: Edit

Agree that we deserved nothing from this one - scoreline was about right. I assume our goal was disallowed for a foul on the keeper but the ref did take longer than a cricket umpire to make his decision. At least he was consistent and gave a similar offence for a foul on Jimmy at the end of the half.

Overall the impression is that we are woefully short of confidence which is to be expected. Only Merson looks to play a forward ball when he recieves it. Everyone else checks onto their side and plays sideways. We were OK for the first 15 minutes but after conceding just seemed content to try and play possession football in the midfield. It was as though we were one up and containing the opposition.

Not much service to Burton but both Birch and Fryatt looked miles better once they came on. Excellent play by Birch for the goal and then with the confidence of a goal the whole team looked suddenly revitalised. Decent shout for a pen on Birch a few minutes after we scored.

But then disaster. We are always just a few moments away from a defensive calamity. When he should have played the ball forward Bazely under no pressure checks back and plays a back pass without looking. Straight to a Bolton forward. Although Jimmy got the ball out for a corner it was from the resulting move that we conceded the pen. Totally unecessary. It's one thing to be outplayed by a better side but to gift them the game in such a soft way is deadful. All the momentum that had been built up over the preceeding 5 mins was tossed away. Bazely had just about the poorest game he has ever had for us.

Pray that we score first on Saturday - and hopefully early on to settle the nerves. Although this was poor the way the whole team lifted after scoring gives me hope they can play well if the confidence returns.

By beechdale_saddler (213.48.83.58) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 12:56 am: Edit

Why was birch moved to left midfield?, why do all walsall managers constantly try and lose our young decent strikers?. Ricketts,butler now birch were all played in the wrong position.
I agree not many positives from the game. Are you lot happy that colins chaned our game we used to be the battling team but he wants more creativity. still failing to see that.
Hope we can win saturday. Well just got in, going to bed hope things look better in the morning.

By Neil Ravenscroft (62.172.127.2) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 08:31 am: Edit

Here we go again!
I would have done many of the same things last night, trying to keep the midfield tight as I was terrified about Emblen and Ritchie in a "two" trying to mark a twice Golden Boot winner, whose record ia 54 goals in 40 games for Sporting, 32 in 30 for Galatasaray and 150 in 145 for Porto. Overweight or not, this guy is a seriously good player.
From the radio, we were showing them too much respect!

By LarryHagler (81.134.20.183) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 09:03 am: Edit

Honestly if you saw him Neil, he was slow and v unfit but we gifted him 2 goals and could have been another 2 goals headded, as Zigor twice inexplicalbly left him to head at goal. We seem to be giving to many teams 'to much respect' by sitting off them from what i can see.

By Martyn D (195.92.168.169) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 09:37 am: Edit

Why aren't the players up for a fight anymore? What is going on behind the scenes? Contrast last night with Blackburn last year and its easy to see just how far backwards we have gone.

By Alan (195.74.100.165) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 09:42 am: Edit

So where has this winning mentality gone then? Apparently Merson, Samways and Osborn were all going to bring this into the club...

Good to hear some honesty from Colin this morning on WM. He said the pace of the game was like a testimonial game and that we simply haven't got the energy levels to get back into matches. Certainly sounded that way on the radio.

Also love Mick's comment last night, he called our football "tippy-tap". Couldn't have put it better myself.

By Phil_G (194.201.73.1) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 10:08 am: Edit

I can't help but think we've lost some of our bottle and fight since O'Connor left.
He seemed to be the one person able to lift the team when we were losing, or get back some shape when we were playing poorly.
But I guess that's why he was captain.
Do we have a captain now? Not the one named on the team sheet, the one who is doing the job out on the park?

By LarryHaggler (81.136.230.93) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 10:16 am: Edit

CL has finally admitted it, his words after last nights game "we've got big problems"

By cat3 (219.76.96.1) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 10:26 am: Edit

It will take time to adjust. No need to panick yet. We will bail ourselves out of the pot hole eventually. There's plenty more games to play, and it's early in the season. Don't be so pessmistic, lighten up!

By playfryattcampaign (195.92.194.16) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 11:23 am: Edit

lets hope cl decides to install a bit more youth from the start of the game on saturday iam extremely impressed with fryatt he is a natural when the ball came to him he had the power to hold off the defender he gets in to wonderful posititons hes always looking across the line (unlike other players who constantly found themselves offside last night) and on the only occasion he gave the ball away in his 24min outing he powered his way past the defender to regain posession and in my eyes should have been awarded a pen (not birch pg tips)i know hes only 17 but he looks more than ready he wants to prove his worth and why not give him a chance

By Neil Ravenscroft (62.172.127.2) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 11:26 am: Edit

As lonf as we don't get such overwhelmingly persuasive arguments as you get on Rivals:-

"champs_manager_5 Posted on 25/9 10:30 Email this Message | Edit | Reply
re: BOLTON Another Shambles

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm getting sick of all the dingles in our squad, add to that the dingle we have as manager.
ALL DINGLES NEED TO GO.
Baze is crap
Corica is lightweight
Samways is to old
Emblem is the only good ex dingle at the club"

Do those underscores look familiar?

By Delves Saddler (194.73.163.108) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 01:05 pm: Edit

FROM THE BBC:

Walsall boss Colin Lee admitted he had big problems ahead after a disappointing display.

"I have to act upon a situation which I think is not right," said Lee. "I might have to make unpopular decisions but I can't hide away from it.

"At the moment there are too many players waiting for the final whistle to blow and I have to do everything I can to turn it around.

"We gave away sloppy goals and just when we got the chance to create a bit of a finale we went and shot ourselves in the foot. We have got big problems at the moment."

------------------------------------------------

I hate to say 'I told you so' to various people on this board, but i was campaigning for Fryatt in the summer and at the start of the season. He proved in a short space of time last night that he would be far more effective than any of the other options we have tried up front since the start of the season. His movement off the ball was very good (something alien to the rest of the team) and as a previous post said, he is always looking across the line. In my previous debates on this board about Fryatt, the issue of his ability to hold off players was questioned, quite rightly, due to his age etc. This was issue was put to bed last night as he quite easily held off prmiership defenders and looked strong enough to deal with anything in the Nationwide. Finally, his pace is clearly evident and should he get a starting run in the side, I am convinced he will show the way as far as goal scoring is concerned.

I haven't been on the board since early season, so I will voice my concerns/satisfaction certain players based on the last five away games:

Merson - quite frankly, and I hate to say it, but he has looked a little sloppy and occasionally disinterested. Is this due to the state of the team around him and does he think he made a bad decision coming here - attitude is half the battle?

Birch - I would play him up front with Fryatt. It is time for, as CL has said today, unpopular changes. He has proved that with his performances recently and would be an excellent partner for Fryatt (last night they seemed to have more of an understanding than any other partnership we have).

Osborn - disappointing since Albion - I would play oakes instead - an excellent range of passing and he can tackle. Certain glitches in his sub appearances have been down to just that - no run in the team.

Lawrence - basically, not good enough. Has shown absolutely nothing since he came back from injury.

Zigor - no other option. In his absence, we have looked sh*te down the left.

Bazeley - I would give Wrack a chance at right wing back as Bazeley is showing his weaknesses.

Jorge - seems to be completely 'out of it'. Works his knackers off but at the end of the day he is not doing what he is paid to do - score goals. Bench him.

Samways - best perfromer overall so far. Totally reliable.

The defence - looks decidedly dodgy without Roper and (another 'told you so' to contributors to this board) Hay.

My Team (ignoring injuries):

Walker

Roper, Hay, Ritchie

Wrack, Oakes, Samways, Zigor

Merson

Fryatt, Birch

None of this, "oh but you can't have two youth players up front - they have no experience". both of them have showed more in the few semi-appearances they have had than the seniors have all season. Merson is the attacking experience and he seemed to enjoy it more last night when the kids came on. (Who'd have thought these two could be a catalyst for merson to perform!!)

There, I have taken to my belated soap box.

By beechdale_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _saddler (213.48.83.229) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 01:06 pm: Edit

Neil Ravenscroft you feckin colin lee ass sha**er. you think you are something dont you. For your information that championship manager bloke couldnt have been me, i didnt wake up until 11 so unless i sleep walk it wasnt me! You are so close to colin lees ass a bit like corica, you really make me laugh,id love to be standin next to you at a match and accidentally drop my elbow on the back of youre head like Martin Keown did.
But then again would i want you sitting by me? wed be 4-0 down and youd be saying "dont worry 4-0 maybe we can take some positives from the game".
SHUT UP you muppet.

By Neil Ravenscroft (62.172.127.2) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 01:19 pm: Edit

True colours at last!

By Dave Roe (217.37.14.235) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 01:34 pm: Edit

Well that makes sense doesn't it ? It's obvious Neil that your refusal to call for the sacking of Lee merely hides your hidden homophobic desires towards him. Classic.

Well said Delves. I also can't understand this 'Fryatt is too young and too inexperienced' rubbish. He can't do much about his age and how the hell is he ever going to get experience without actually playing. Like a certain Mr. Rooney, if he's good enough, he's old enough.

It was the Birmingham game that finally convinced me that Fryatt is up to the challenge. The first time we really pressed their defence was when he came on. and unless my memory is totally shot, wasn't it him that set up the goal ?

Let's be honest, what have we got to lose by playing him ?

By SheffieldSaddler (195.93.33.12) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 01:37 pm: Edit

How old are you Beechdale? If you want someone to stand next to at a match so you can drop your elbow on them then I would suggest you stand by me rather than threating someone who is recovering from a recent heart attack.
Let me know what you think, just a suggestion thats all.

By Neil Ravenscroft (62.172.127.2) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 01:41 pm: Edit

He might have realised how big you are, Sheff!

By beechdale_ _ _ _ _saddler (213.48.83.229) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 01:49 pm: Edit

sorry neil I speak before thinking sometimes. Best of luck with youre recovery. But sheff saddler id be more than willing to stand by you at the match.

By Dave Roe (217.37.14.235) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 01:56 pm: Edit

You'd end up deaf if you sat next to Sheff at a match. I've heard him and he shouts louder and more often than me (and that is going some I can tell you).

By Neil Ravenscroft (62.172.127.2) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 02:44 pm: Edit

Beechdale, apology accepted, just calm down. You have made some reasonable points about the club recently, ones we all agree with, but you keep losing your argument in a stream of invective about Lee. As someone pointed out on Rivals, you will just come across as biased, if you aren't careful, or end up being lumped with the idiots who want Merson and Samways out as well (and there are some!).

By Delves Saddler (194.73.163.108) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 04:35 pm: Edit

Thanks Dave. The first time we really troubled the Bolton defence with pace and movement off the ball was when he came on.

By SheffieldSaddler (195.93.33.12) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 04:44 pm: Edit

Dont be like that Dave! Ok, I get a bit excited but thats all! Just ask Cannock, he sits about 5 seats away from me!

By Dave Roe (81.131.185.234) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 10:49 pm: Edit

I know, he told me. He also told me he wears ear plugs to each game to try and mute the noise

Actually, for the Gillingham game, I am coming down from the upper tier and slumming it with you lot downstairs. I think I'm only two rows behind you, so we'll see who gets most excited !

Return to 2003-04 Season