Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Fleetwood Town (A) 5th May, 5.30pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Fleetwood Town (A) 5th May, 5.30pm

Thu May 03, 2018 8:11 am

"Highbury-bound"

(Sir John Betjeman)

At the end of a season memorable for most of the wrong reasons, we have a trip to the Lancashire coast to take on Fleetwood Town with only League One position at stake - a Saddlers' win will see us finish above The Cod Army, but any other result will leave us below them (but still in League One :wink: ). The reverse fixture back in November was memorable as another game where we scored VERY late on (twice), ending up 4-2 winners when 2-2 would have been the odds-on bet in the 80-somethingth minute - but we had Tyler Roberts and Agyei then didn't we? Attendance that day was 3,225 with 82 visiting fans but it's a certainty that more than 82 Walsall supporters will make the trip on Saturday.

Like ourselves, Fleetwood have had managerial changes this season. Uwe Rosler was succeeded by John Sheridan, and in turn he will be making way for Joey Barton to take up the reins on June 1st when the ban imposed for his betting history expires. There may be one familiar face in the Fleetwood line-up, as Jordy Hiwula is there on loan from Huddersfield Town. He came off the bench in last week's match at Peterborough, the most recent game in a poor run of form:

2 Apr Bristol Rovers (H) Won 2-0
7 Apr Rotherham Utd (A) Lost 3-2
10 Apr Oxford Utd (A) Won 0-1
14 Apr Blackpool (A) Lost 2-1
21 Apr Wigan Athletic (H) Lost 0-4
28 Apr Peterborough Utd (A) Lost 2-0

Dean Keates might almost look upon this game as a pre-season friendly .... well, perhaps not quite, but it would certainly be a chance to give some fringe players cameo appearances, at least. He will already have a good idea of the players who will be released, and in a game where so little is at stake it's surely better to look to the future rather than use resources that probably won't be there by August. An early League One club to start the releases ball rolling is Oxford United, where Karl Robinson has announced that 8 players will not have their contracts renewed after the weekend. So perhaps it's time to think about giving Mitch Candlin a starting place, and/or perhaps Cockerill-Mollett? All will be revealed by 5.30pm on Saturday......

Prediction? For this game it really will be "anything could happen", but I'll keep the rose-coloured specs on and go for a 1-2 away win with Candlin and Devlin on the scoresheet.

UTS :D

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Re: Fleetwood Town (A) 5th May, 5.30pm

Thu May 03, 2018 8:34 am

Will it be fancy dress perhaps, some Walsall fans always good for a laugh in that respect, always remember a great hairy bride giving the police the run around, can't remember what match that was, someone with better memory than me is bound to recall.
A chance for Keates to try experimenting a little, but get the feeling he will stick with the same formation.
Will Baka get a chance to shine under new management next season? Everyone knows my, and many others opinions on the matter, but we don't know what goes on behind the scenes.
Think Carl Robinson is correct in the clearout mode, we have too big a squad of non performers, and if he brings in his own choices some will have to give way.
Well done Ozzy on that million dollar goal, was a good send off, lets hope the open plains and scrap yards of Rothrum suit you more.
See ya all at Fleetwood!! :D

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Thu May 03, 2018 8:41 am

L Roberts

K Roberts
Guthrie
Fitzwater
C - Mollet

Morris
Dobson
Chambers
Leahy

Candlin
Bakayoko

I don't think that team gets the win by any stretch of the imagination but i think it would give a better idea of where we are heading and where we need to strengthen.

Walsall_Casual
Glitterati

Thu May 03, 2018 9:23 am

Gillespie

K Roberts
Guthrie
Fitzwater
Leahy

Morris
Dobson
Kinsella
Kouhyar

Candlin
Bakayoko

Subs:

L.Roberts, Devlin, Cockerill-Mollett, Cuvelier, Chambers, Oztumer, Hayles-Docherty.

I'd give Gillespie an opportunity with next seasons number one jersey in mind. I agree with Keates, K.Roberts could make a very good right-back. I saw him play there in a development game 18 months ago - he was excellent. Leahy isn't a winger, he must continue his learning at left back. I have a feeling Keates will move Kinsella back into his former central midfield role. What a great opportunity for Kinsella to learn from our former midfield maestro and legend! :D

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Thu May 03, 2018 9:31 am

Walsall_Casual wrote:Gillespie

K Roberts
Guthrie
Fitzwater
Leahy

Morris
Dobson
Kinsella
Kouhyar

Candlin
Bakayoko

Subs:

L.Roberts, Devlin, Cockerill-Mollett, Cuvelier, Chambers, Oztumer, Hayles-Docherty.

I'd give Gillespie an opportunity with next seasons number one jersey in mind. I agree with Keates, K.Roberts could make a very good right-back. I saw him play there in a development game 18 months ago - he was excellent. Leahy isn't a winger, he must continue his learning at left back. I have a feeling Keates will move Kinsella back into his former central midfield role. What a great opportunity for Kinsella to learn from our former midfield maestro and legend! :D

Well no he isn't. But he isn't a Left back either. He's a wing back who doesn't fit 4-4-2 which Keates clearly wants to play. He's been good going forward and can cross a ball and woeful defensively so that says to me he needs to adapt to left midfielder or is, unfortunately, not good enough to make our squad. Besides winger and left midfielder are different positions. He's never going to be a tricky quick winger. But there have been plenty of very good left/right midfielders that didn't have exceptional pace or tricks.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Thu May 03, 2018 10:45 am

I like both those teams above and hope that the manager does try something different. I am not bothered by the result but hope those who go see some good signs for the future.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Thu May 03, 2018 10:57 am

4-4-2. Start Candlin. 2-1 Walsall. Lets av it!!!

Paulus68
UTS Regular

Thu May 03, 2018 1:50 pm

Hairy bride? Doncaster. 92 93...ish

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Thu May 03, 2018 5:57 pm

Roberts

K Roberts
Fitzwater
Guthrie
C-Mollett

H-Docherty
Dobson
Chambers
Morris

Candlin
Bakayoko

With a few more youngsters on the bench, maybe even a promising youth teamer like Dan O'Sullivan.

chunkster
Site Addict

Thu May 03, 2018 6:22 pm

going for a win without any pressure on us, with some of the kids getting a chance to impress 1-2 the saddlers :)

Exile
Jobsworth

Thu May 03, 2018 10:18 pm

Paulus68 wrote:Hairy bride? Doncaster. 92 93...ish

Last seen on a roundabout on the edge of town trying to hitch a ride home, by all accounts.

ObiWan7
UTS Regular

Sat May 05, 2018 10:24 am

So another season of dissapointment finally comes to the end once again for the Saddlers.

How the fudge have we gone from Wembley 3 years ago , playing some of the best football i can rememeber in over 40 years as a Walsall fan to the pile of rat S**t we have had to put up with this year.
It is an easy fix to lay the blame directly at Bonser and Whitneys door. The question of "Where's the money gone " has never been answered and the hindsight of saying that Whitney couldn't go from Coach to Manager seems to have been proven perfectly right. However.....................

The problem may lie a little deeper in the fact that we at The Bescot always seem to go around in little circles , unfortunately the powers that be seem to be content with making the same mistakes over and over again.
Players come to the Bescot as a stepping stone or just as a way to get a contract , there is no forward thinking or long term plan. Nobody is going to come in with a big stack of cash and bank roll us so we are stuck with it as being the way it is until someone finally takes a stand and changes it. Ozzy should never, ever been allowed to see out his contract , after 3 months of him signing , it was bvious what a talent he was , so give him and extended one then. If he wants to stop give him a four year deal , Christ he's only in his 20 , if he doesn't sell him. It's quite simple, i know we offreed him a new contract but it was too late by then. Offer them a bigger period than the standard 2 years which is what we ALWAYS do. (Apart from Rico , i know before all the anaraks have a go). Players have no loyalty anymore , so we have to show ambition , i'm sick of hearing the same old ball ocks about "We've offered him a new deal" Etheridge, Sawyers, Oztumer..... the list goes on. So year after yaer , we end up with kids and 30+ players who can't get a club come the 31st July and think knackers to it , Walsall will do.

Keates is a Bloxwich boy(So he's borderline Psychopathic to begin with ) , so if and it's a big if , he can show some balls , go out and demand money to spend, get those who we're left with after everyone get's another grand a week somewhere else (Remember its not about the money .....my arse) to show they want to play for us and finally get one or two canny signings and a bit of pride back we may , just may come this time next year have a smile on our faces.
There is the passion for us , fudge me we took 25K+ to Wembley and we had 7000 plus there last week , i know it was on the cheap but they still showed up , what we need is a hope , a reason to believe , but more than anything else what we have alwyas done need sto be ripped out , torn up , set fire to and pi**ed on. Then start from the bottom up and rebuild what is , could be and should be a Club we all love and want to be proud of.

Glad i got that off my chest , sorry about that i need to go for a lie down.

Oh by the way, we'll win today 1-3 (ozzy with a hatrick , running to the fans , kissing the badge then signing for Brentford on the 1st July.

Have a good Summer everyone

Obi out....UTS :-)

EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Sat May 05, 2018 10:42 am

While I fully agree with the general sentiment, especially the parts about questions being answered, & lapsed passion for WFC begging to be awoken, the player recruitment/retention part isn't so cut and dry...

ObiWan7 wrote: Ozzy should never, ever been allowed to see out his contract , after 3 months of him signing , it was bvious what a talent he was , so give him and extended one then. If he wants to stop give him a four year deal , Christ he's only in his 20 ,

See Baxendale, James. He was dynamite for six months. That three year deal quickly became an albatross. Aside from anything else, you can't physically make anyone sign at any stage of their existing deal.

Offer them a bigger period than the standard 2 years which is what we ALWAYS do. (Apart from Rico , i know before all the anaraks have a go)

It wasn't all that long ago on here that the regular gripe was us always giving out one year contracts. It's a pity that one or two of this current squad aren't on shorter deals... swings and roundabouts.

ObiWan7
UTS Regular

Sat May 05, 2018 10:51 am

See Baxendale, James. He was dynamite for six months. That three year deal quickly became an albatross. Aside from anything else, you can't physically make anyone sign at any stage of their existing deal.

I agree , but by showing greater ambition , players will want to be part of a club that's on the up. It's the total lack of forward thinking that turns players off re-signing. I can't blame Ozzy for not re-signing , as much as i hope he does , but what's wrong with adding another year as an option , we don't have to keep them if they are another Baxendale , but at least let's try. Maybe we're reading it wrong , maybe Keates is going to be able to convince him to stay , but let's be honest you've got more chance of finding a Scouser who isn't a prick than that happening.

Fair comments though Evenflow and well put

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat May 05, 2018 3:38 pm

The future is here....FLanagan starts.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat May 05, 2018 4:00 pm

Well the Manager said he would give everyone a chance and so he has!!!
Team today..Gillespie,Roberts,Fitzwater,Guthrie,Cockerill-Mollet: Kouyhar, Flanagan,Dobson,Cuvelier, Leahy: Bakayoko.
Subs: The other Roberts, Devlin,Oztumer,Kinsella, Shorrock,Candlin

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat May 05, 2018 4:03 pm

I forgot Morris who is also on the bench!!!

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat May 05, 2018 4:15 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:The future is here....FLanagan starts.
Probably a make or break performance?

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat May 05, 2018 4:17 pm

Jordy Hiwula on Fleetwood's bench.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat May 05, 2018 4:22 pm

chunkster wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:The future is here....FLanagan starts.
Probably a make or break performance?

Yep.

BarnsleySaddler
Glitterati

Sat May 05, 2018 4:41 pm

Team.
1Gillespie
24Roberts
23Fitzwater
5Guthrie
28Cockerill-Mollett
25Kouhyar
17Flanagan
4Dobson
8Cuvelier
3Leahy
20Bakayoko

Substitutes

6Devlin
10Oztumer
11Morris
13Roberts
15Kinsella
29Shorrock
36Candlin

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat May 05, 2018 4:47 pm

We have our first corner, in the 17th minute. Fleetwood have had 5 corners already........

"Less than 2.5 goals" bet cashed out after 19 minutes showing 21% profit :D

UTS Legend

Sat May 05, 2018 4:51 pm

We've had two shots on target.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat May 05, 2018 4:53 pm

We've slipped one place down in the table, with AFC Wimbledon leading Bury 1-0

(and I don't care, because we are SAFE!!!!!) :D :D

Over at Edgbaston, Warwickshire have got Derbyshire all out for 209 in their 2nd innings which means that the Bears need just 89 to win. :D :D

BarnsleySaddler
Glitterati

Sat May 05, 2018 4:58 pm

Bakayoko is booked for Walsall. mins.24

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat May 05, 2018 5:01 pm

Cod Army 1 Saddlers 0 (30 min) :roll:

Northampton Town 0 Oldham Athletic 1 (31 min)

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat May 05, 2018 5:03 pm

Oldham winning.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat May 05, 2018 5:16 pm

2-0 :( :( :( Good job there's nothing riding on this game.......

Northampton Town 1 Oldham Athletic 1 - just before half time

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat May 05, 2018 5:16 pm

Conceding goals right before half time seems to have become an issue.

BarnsleySaddler
Glitterati

Sat May 05, 2018 5:17 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:2-0 :( :( :( Good job there's nothing riding on this game.......

Too true.

Next
Return to 2017-18 Season