Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Northampton Town (H) 28th April, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
UTS Legend

Re: Northampton Town (H) 28th April, 3pm

Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:06 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote::D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
THE MOST IMPORTNAT GOAL IN WALSALL'S RECENT HISTORY.

I'm going out getting pithed....sod the heart attack..........................we are almost safe from relegation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I'm joining you here in HK, AM!!! I need a drink after watching that on iFollow.

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:13 pm

I'm going out getting pithed....sod the heart attack..........................we are almost safe from relegation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ha ha!! Good on ya!! YES Walsall!!!! :D :D

Bristol Saddler
UTS Regular

Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:37 pm

Wow! I need a lie down.
Totally & utterly battered. What a game.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:47 pm

Would love to see the celebrations at the goal and final whistle if anyone has that on their phones please?

EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:05 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:Would love to see the celebrations at the goal and final whistle if anyone has that on their phones please?

Guy next to me was filming, so imagine they'll be on YouTube in short order.

89 minutes of pure, unmitigated cack; I'd resigned myself to Macclesfield and Morecambe but then... WHAT a moment. Capped off a MOTM display from Dobson.

The other positive was our right hand side. Devlin is a better winger than he is full back. Kory was caught too narrow about three minutes in (shades of when Smith tried to shoehorn O'Connor in at right back), but after that I thought he was generally very good. Maybe his long term future lies at RB, given his slight frame, for a centre half.

Liam needs kicking practice... got the deftest hand on that early one that hit the post, though- otherwise, that was in.

Sorry to do this amidst the euphoria, but it has to be said... Leahy was absolutely shocking. Their Number 22 mullered him every single time, and his passing is atrocious.

Right, pass the IPA!!
Last edited by EvenFlow on Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:06 pm

Pleased for Dobson btw, he's impressed me since coming back.

Should be a big player at this level next season....as long as there's enough quality around him.

Gripper
Glitterati

Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:07 pm

Really enjoyed that tbf. Nervy but I never thought we would come away without at least a point.

Only downside of the day was seeing that parasite Milan Lalkovic parading around the lower like he hasn’t left twice and landed on his arse both times. Bad Prick.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:16 pm

Scenes. Absolute scenes. fudge me I need to lie down.

Dobson is a hero.

UP THE fudge SADDLERS.

UTS Legend

Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:18 pm

Gripper wrote:Really enjoyed that tbf. Nervy but I never thought we would come away without at least a point.

Only downside of the day was seeing that parasite Milan Lalkovic parading around the lower like he hasn’t left twice and landed on his arse both times. Bad Prick.

He'll be back next season then?

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:20 pm

Lucky to be level on the hour mark, then Northampton ran out of steam. They had to press on, giving us space to actually create two good chance, one of which Devlin fudge up and the other which Dobbo didnt (both created by some quality crosses by Bakayoko who worked bloody hard). Orgasmic goal. You'd be pissed off if you were from boring-shire given that you'd hit the woodwork twice (three times if you were pedantic) , but who gives a cack.

Celebration booze time, but please get a draw on Tuesday boys. Dont want to be shitting myself next Saturday evening.

Gripper
Glitterati

Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:31 pm

Guest wrote:
Gripper wrote:Really enjoyed that tbf. Nervy but I never thought we would come away without at least a point.

He'll be back next season then?

I really hope not, I dunno about you? Our fans lap him up for some reason. He probably wouldn’t be recognised at Chelsea/Barnsley/Portsmouth in a month of Sunday’s - I bet he bloody loves the Bescot.

Not fit to lace Dobson’s boots.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:35 pm

Thank god for those 3 points, which should see us safe, but aside from the goal, which was a wonderful moment...that was a dreary, soul destroying performance. Northampton had the better of us for long periods.

The usual suspects all failed to perform:

- Leahy, woeful, just woeful.

- Chambers, MOTM? Nah, he was chasing shadows all afternoon, he's finished... great servant, but time to call time on his career now I think.

- Morris, can't beat a man, now scared to shoot (he'd miss anyway), can't carry the ball, can't pick a pass...just what is the point?

- Dobson, despite his winning goal was poor IMO, struggled to get in to the game, and Northampton's CMs showed a lot more movement, vision and skill

- Bakayoko - just hope we never see him in a Walsall shirt again, offers so little it's scary. Devlin put more miles in than Baka and won more headers - just let that sink in.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:42 pm

We were shite. But we got what we needed. That’s all I care about. Can’t be arsed to comment on individuals. I love moments like today.

m&m
Glitterati

Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:48 pm

Somebody must have the goal somewhere for us to see again.
Come on lads!

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:48 pm

scott_powell wrote:We were shite. But we got what we needed. That’s all I care about. Can’t be arsed to comment on individuals. I love moments like today.

I love nearly being relegated too.

Pheasey_Saddler
UTS Regular

Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:51 pm

Wow - what an ending that was!

How we won that I don't know. Northampton were certainly the better team for 80 mins but then seemed to run out of steam. Their No. 22 was literally walking round Leahy down their right side, before they decided to take him off for some reason. From that point on we seemed to gain some control.

Couldn't see us scoring before the goal came though. To give Baka some credit, even though he was outmuscled and outpaced all game, he stuck with it and ended up creating the goal. Great finish by Dobson too.

Unbelievable scenes at the end. On days like today, it's better to be lucky than good and we certainly had our fair share of luck!

Sadsfan
Glitterati

Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:51 pm

Terrible performance, but a great win. For me it has highlighted some concerns about Keaets though. Why did it take an injury to make a substitution when it was clear from the first minute that we were playing with 10 men with Baka, I know he laid on the pass for the goal but he was gash, as was Leahy with his defending.

coop63
Glitterati

Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:02 pm

How we got 3 points out of that today is quite honestly beyond me

They pretty much bossed it for 89minutes - last 5 mins (incl the added time) we were on the up and the goal was well worked really and a massive relief

Got to feel for them a little bit - very unlucky on the day but I guess the season doesn’t lie in terms of the table etc etc

Let’s hope for a point on Tuesday and it’s then a fun day up in the North West at the weekend to end what has been an utterly crap season

Major clear out needed to say the least and if Leahy is kept here I’ll be gobsmacked - he must be the worst defender we’ve had in years....

Nuff said by others about the waste of a shirt that is Baka - please please get rid in the summer

UTS

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:07 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
scott_powell wrote:We were shite. But we got what we needed. That’s all I care about. Can’t be arsed to comment on individuals. I love moments like today.

I presume you didn’t celebrate then :roll:

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:08 pm

Great atmosphere for a game at national league quality but a very intelligent team selection by mr Keates

Kory Roberts at left back gave us more height and a solid look at the back as did Devlin in midfield

Credit the players effort and energy as compared to Northampton we made no subs in normal time this being one of the benefits of a young team

Bakayoko struggled to hold the ball up but made some strong runs late on you have to give him that and of course the assist was composed

Thanks have to go to two posts, a bar and the back of Liam Roberts head

Also to Dean Austin for taking McWilliams off towards the end as he had been running the show and his absence in midfield created more space for our late pressure

And last but not least for the one bit of quality in the game to get the winner young Dobson for sure a future captain

We need a point and I need a pint

Uts

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:13 pm

Just got my breath back but what a superb goal to win it by Dobson who was my man of the match and then to run 70 yards to get onto the super pass from Baka. Well done lads. As others have said we rode our luck at times and for the first 70 minutes the Cobblers were the better team but they ran out of steam and with better finishing we could have had more.
Just a point to get now to be certain of staying up and a big job in the Summer for the Manager but we have a decent spine with Roberts, Guthrie and Dobson under contract. We need another more experienced CB,two wingers and two forwards who know where the net is...one of the forwards should ideally be a player with lots of know how at this level. UTS

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:28 pm

scott_powell wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:

I presume you're hoping for another relegation battle next season?

giglee

Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:39 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
scott_powell wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:

Why would you presume that? He and everyone else is happy that despite how bad we are, we won. Not celebrating that we were nearly relegated, but that we're probably safe.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:54 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
scott_powell wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:

What the fudge are you onabout? Really?

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:00 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
scott_powell wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:

You might not have to wait until next season,this battle's not over yet...... :D

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:13 pm

giglee wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:
scott_powell wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:

Why would you presume that?

Because he said he loved moments like today.

Personally, I'd like us not to be dire for a whole season with some of the worst players I've ever seen wear the shirt, all so that I could enjoy a single goal at home against another dogshit team.

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:14 pm

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:15 pm

Unreal win, this is why we all love football and Walsall FC.

If Dobbo had been here since July he easily would have been my player of the seasons, he's been fantastic since he came back.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:44 pm

You should stay in and write a letter of apology to the players. They might lack quality but they do not lack the effort you accuse them of.
Dug in today and got the result we needed. Proud of the lot of them. UTS.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:47 pm

Phil doesn’t celebrate important victories. Why would you? What would fan would enjoy a potential season saving victory? Why?! We should all go on the internet and tweet Mole absolute beans ...

“Now that that’s over @Daniel__Mole, resign and take your cretinous leach of a boss with you. The way you’ve treated fans this season brings shame to our club. You get no credit from me for survival and should shoulder the blame for this mess“

You really are a pathetic twerp. I presume you didn’t celebrate the Southampton survival day then? Anyone fancy looking through the old match day thread to see?

Embarrassment of a supporter you.

PreviousNext
Return to 2017-18 Season