Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Scunthorpe United (A) 21st Apr, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Re: Scunthorpe United (A) 21st Apr, 3pm

Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:34 pm

Mazza01 wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:Is this where we overreact to three points we didn’t think we’d get anyway?

Personally I’d have taken not being in the relegation zone after this weekend and it was a great effort from the players still plenty to play for.

This .

Every game is an opportunity to get points , no one is overreacting the clubs on the verge of relegation you patronising tosser!

Getting mixed messages from you mazza. One second you are saying “this” and next you are slagging me off for speaking the absolute truth lol.

UTS Legend

Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:23 pm

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:33 pm

Somehow it is in our own hands to stay up,equal or better the results of them below us and miracle achieved.

Problem is No strikers = No goals = No points as bad as our defence is although you can see a difference under Keats it is still as bad at other end of pitch with no idea who is capable of getting goals.

Gripper
Glitterati

Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:34 pm

Question for those there today and those not.

Would Bakayoko be called lazy if he wasn’t black?

Discuss.

BornASaddler

Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:36 pm

We need to give Northampton a good kick in the cobblers next week and hope we can all forget about dwelling on the dim and distant past and what might happen next season and Bonser's petty cash claim for pool cleaning

We need every Walsall Fan to make an effort and bring as many of his mates, brothers, uncles, mums dads, sisters, brothers, cousins etc down and see if we can be the 12th. 13th 14th & 15th man and Welcome Keatsy home and be behind the team for the full 90+

Its a 6 pointer, the last < home> game of the season, the weather may be nice < or not > and its our cup final in essence

Could we have a vote on a theme and maybe sort a whip round for balloons, streamers flags,.......& noise is what is needed, we need an atmosphere to let the lads know we are behind them

If JWB or one of the upper echelon are reading,

The ticket prices will help but how about some pre match entertainment. I

I m sure there is some to be found in Walsall Borough to get the crowd entertained and energised

All stayaways welcome

UTS

saddlersjse
UTS Regular

Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:02 pm

Gripper wrote:Question for those there today and those not.

Discuss.

Why are you bringing race into this discussion?

The Red Prince
Site Addict

Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:15 pm

saddlersjse wrote:

Discuss.

To be fair, I can't recall many white lads getting stick for being lazy, even Gary Birch, and yet it's an accusation which seems to have been levelled at several black players down the years.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:15 pm

saddlersjse wrote:

Discuss.

Wouldn't say he was lazy, just useless, should never had had this long a tenure in the striker position, he couldn't strike a match. But then again what choice have we? As I've said before thanks JB and Whitney, look at the mess you've left us in.
And incidentally no one cares what colour he is.

Gripper
Glitterati

Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:42 pm

The Red Prince wrote:
saddlersjse wrote:

Discuss.

To be fair, I can't recall many white lads getting stick for being lazy, even Gary Birch, and yet it's an accusation which seems to have been levelled at several black players down the years.

Precisely my point.

Sawyers was called Lazy although running round like a headless chicken just want part of his game.

It’s embarassing and just obvious.

RAMSEYSADDLER

Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:02 pm

I went today and would like to make the following comments:
The few Hundred Walsall fans that made the trip were magnificent. Loud and Proud throughout the 90 minutes, never stopped singing.. Well Done Lads.
The team gave it everything, but once again there was no cutting edge. The strikers are way off the pace and would not score in a Brothel.
The midfield and defence were well organised, in the main, against a useful side. Chambers defied his years mopping up a lot of loose balls, and Guthrie looked solid for the most part. Our left wing again looked exposed (As it did against Wimbledon) where Morris seems to abandon his defensive duties and Leahy not tracking their wide player would be the only defensive criticism.
That said, it was a better performance than many of late and if we can show as much commitment to the cause next week, we will win.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:17 pm

I think Bakayoko is shite. Absolute dog shite.

Sawyers is one of the best players of my time to wear the shirt

Am I racist?

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:18 pm

RAMSEYSADDLER wrote:I went today and would like to make the following comments:
The few Hundred Walsall fans that made the trip were magnificent. Loud and Proud throughout the 90 minutes, never stopped singing.. Well Done Lads.
The team gave it everything, but once again there was no cutting edge. The strikers are way off the pace and would not score in a Brothel.
The midfield and defence were well organised, in the main, against a useful side. Chambers defied his years mopping up a lot of loose balls, and Guthrie looked solid for the most part. Our left wing again looked exposed (As it did against Wimbledon) where Morris seems to abandon his defensive duties and Leahy not tracking their wide player would be the only defensive criticism.
That said, it was a better performance than many of late and if we can show as much commitment to the cause next week, we will win.

Agree with all that. Not a bad effort from the team, fantastic performance by us.

Buuuut two crucial things are going to end our relegation unfortunately.

One is our long standing vulnerability to aerial attack. We had 5 defenders marking 3 attackers for their goal and yet they still scored with a free header. I can't be arsed to look, but I would imagine that 75% of goals we have conceded since Andy Butler left have been aerial.

And more seriously, what everyone else has already said. We have absolutely zero attacking threat. Nil, zilch, nada. I'm sad to say that we just don't have the capacity to score the goals we need to score to stay up. Get used to it folks, we are going down. Not through lack of effort, but lack of quality.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:21 pm

Losing that was criminal.

Bit like joe Masi today I spent most of the first hour trying to work out how on earth Scunny were in the play off places, they were one of the worst teams I've seen live for a while.

There were some decent individual performances (thought Dobson was excellent) but really there's no quality in the final third at just the worst part of the season for that to happen.

Can't see another win this season with Northampton picking up so relegation looking imminent sadly.

PINNACLE
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:24 pm

Discuss.

Absoluteley not and a slur on any Walsall fan who has seen him play, please keep this kind of vile nonsense away from our message board.

PT
Site Addict

Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:27 pm

Discuss.

Can’t find a post that accuses him of laziness, maybe you can help?

Whitters
Site Addict

Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:29 pm

aaaae wrote:
RAMSEYSADDLER wrote:I went today and would like to make the following comments:

Agree with all that. Not a bad effort from the team, fantastic performance by us.

Buuuut two crucial things are going to end our relegation unfortunately.

One is our long standing vulnerability to aerial attack. We had 5 defenders marking 3 attackers for their goal and yet they still scored with a free header. I can't be arsed to look, but I would imagine that 75% of goals we have conceded since Andy Butler left have been aerial.

And more seriously, what everyone else has already said. We have absolutely zero attacking threat. Nil, zilch, nada. I'm sad to say that we just don't have the capacity to score the goals we need to score to stay up. Get used to it folks, we are going down. Not through lack of effort, but lack of quality.

Good to hear everyone is still putting in the maximum effort!
You can still do it lads!

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:48 pm

Right at the end Baka couldn't outpace one of their centre halves to a 50/50 ball and the fans let rip at him (and Shaibu shortly afterwards for not chasing). Nothing racial, just you're not fit to wear the shirt chants.

Yes the fans were good, non stop signing for ten minutes in the second half when there was a decent spell. It dosen't guarentee shots on target though I'm afraid.

saddlersjse
UTS Regular

Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:13 pm

scott_powell wrote:I think Bakayoko is shite. Absolute dog shite.

Am I racist?

Apparently to some there has to be some racist undertone to calling out players what they are :roll: Despite the fact many (myself included) has been calling out many other players within the squad throughout the season. Bakayoko has been absolutely stealing a wage this season. A return of four goals all season for a professional League One striker is proof of that. He's just plain poor, end of story.

One other black player also accused of laziness in the history of the football club and suddenly everyones a racist. I'm not even going to sit here and list all the other black players in my 20 years alone who haven't been accused of laziness.

saddlertd
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:14 pm

El_Nombre wrote:
saddlertd wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:Is this where we overreact to three points we didn’t think we’d get anyway?

Personally I’d have taken not being in the relegation zone after this weekend and it was a great effort from the players still plenty to play for.

I don’t think it’s overreacting when your team is slipping inexorably to relegation, and never looked like scoring today. Sooner or later, we have to win a game: do you really feel confident we can do that in our 3 remaining fixtures? After today, I don’t.

Saddlertd how did you reckon we’d get on before today? Cos I and a lot of others thought it would be worse than it was.

I was hoping that we’d scrape a draw against a team that’s not playing that well and don’t score many goals (sounds familiar!). I think we had more chance against Scunthorpe than we do against Bradford where we usually get stuffed.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:18 pm

saddlersjse wrote:

Am I racist?

Apparently to some there has to be some racist undertone to calling out players what they are :roll: Despite the fact many (myself included) has been calling out many other players within the squad throughout the season. Bakayoko has been absolutely stealing a wage this season. A return of four goals all season for a professional League One striker is proof of that. He's just plain poor, end of story.

One other black player also accused of laziness in the history of the football club and suddenly everyones a racist. I'm not even going to sit here and list all the other black players in my 20 years alone who haven't been accused of laziness.

I criticised a child earlier for having a mental crying fit in Tesco. I must me a nonce

That is literally the same logic. Genuinely astounded to see the race card pulled.

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:31 pm

For long sections of the game we matched Scunthorpe ( not that I was remotely impressed with them) and for a 10-15 minute spell in the 2nd half we dominated, however crucially I cannot recall their goalkeeper having to make a proper save. We tried hard but there was absolutely no cutting edge to the 'attack'. Thought the support was excellent. Think we are going to need Lady Luck to look kindly on us over the final 3 fixtures if we are going to stay up.

saddlersjse
UTS Regular

Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:40 pm

I wasn't impressed with Scunthorpe and I was even less impressed by their fans. If that's as animated as they can get when fighting for a playoff spot then it's pathetic. Not a peep from them. Thought our fans did us proud today.

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:46 pm

saddlersjse wrote:

Am I racist?

There’s also several other black players in the current squad who are not being referred to as lazy. In fact Chambers has been specifically mentioned as giving his all in recent games despite his age and being far more mobile than some of the youngsters around him!

It’s a ridiculous accusation (just as the Ikeme one was a few seasons back) and seems to have been brought up just to support Grippers opinion that Baka isn’t crap.

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:46 pm

Discuss.

Not sure how long you’ve been following the saddlers but it is fair to say the fans are fairly down to earth and generally as honest as they come. This sometimes mean they say it has it is. So if they don’t rate a player it is usually because he has failed to impress this goes as much for Mick Cecere and Ashley Grimes as it does Rod Mcdonald and Evan wright.

Written into the folklore and culture of the club are great players from the past Clayton Ince, Charlie Ntamark and Super Donny Goodman. Love em everyone

Time to reverse the bus as this is a dead end

SWS11
UTS Regular

Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:58 pm

I'm gutted :(
For me, it's the cra p AFCW result wot dun it :evil:

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:04 pm

hullsaddler wrote:For long sections of the game we matched Scunthorpe ( not that I was remotely impressed with them) and for a 10-15 minute spell in the 2nd half we dominated, however crucially I cannot recall their goalkeeper having to make a proper save. We tried hard but there was absolutely no cutting edge to the 'attack'. Thought the support was excellent. Think we are going to need Lady Luck to look kindly on us over the final 3 fixtures if we are going to stay up.

No shots on target.

Team just dosen't really look like scoring, was same v Pompey and very nearly Bury.

Don't think 3 draws will be enough in the run in so it's a massive problem and one that's asking a lot to be solved by a week's training.

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:05 pm

scott_powell wrote:
saddlersjse wrote:

Am I racist?

I criticised a child earlier for having a mental crying fit in Tesco. I must me a nonce

That is literally the same logic. Genuinely astounded to see the race card pulled.

I’m sure you’re one of the ones who’s always criticising Flanagan.

Gingerist!

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:19 pm

Why’s Gripper getting an easy ride for such a ridiculous accusation. Bet you were silent at the game. You think it’s racist then speak up at a game, not online. I despise people unnecessarily pulling the race card :roll:

Absolute snowflake of the highest order.

[post moderated]

Gripper
Glitterati

Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:41 pm

PT wrote:

Discuss.

I never said there was.

I was referring to him being called a few things at the game such as - Lazy, idle and a “Black (expletive)”.

I also then called upon people not at the game to understand their view on it.

But don’t worry Scott Powell (who is £220 better off this season due to his Boycott don’t you know) said it’s not racist so it can’t be. I’ll step down on the discussion point.
Last edited by Gripper on Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:47 pm

Gripper wrote:
PT wrote:

Discuss.

I never said there was.

I was referring to him being called a few things at the game such as - Lazy, idle and a “Black (expletive)”.

I also then called upon people not at the game to understand their view on it.

But don’t worry Scott Powell said it’s not racist so it can’t be. I’ll step down on the discussion point.

Good. If you genuinely heard racist abuse then call it out there and then. Racist for him being lazy/idle though? Utterly ridiculous.

[post moderated]

PreviousNext
Return to 2017-18 Season