Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Scunthorpe United (A) 21st Apr, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Scunthorpe United (A) 21st Apr, 3pm

Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:09 am

"Any old iron, any old iron, any any any old iron?
You look neat, talk about a treat, You look dapper from your napper to your feet,
Dressed in style, brand new tile, and your father's old green tie on,
Oh I wouldn't give you tuppence for your old watch chain, old iron, old iron!"

(British music hall song, recorded by Harry Champion in 1911)

(Before the preview can I express my thanks to all those who wished me well while indisposed due to Shingles - it's not something I would wish on anyone, but I'm at the stage now where I'm at least able to take an interest in vital matters such as our possible impending relegation)

First off ... a quick question on "word association" - what comes to mind when Scunthorpe United is mentioned? I don't know about you (obviously), but to me the phrase " a 1-4 defeat" still comes to mind. It's an unusual score in football terms, but in recent years we have been turned over 3 times by the Iron by that margin! 6/11/12, 10/1/15, and 27/9/16 were the dates, but the good news is that all those games were home defeats, so we have nothing to worry about when playing at their ground ....... or do we?

Scunthorpe United are currently very much in contention for a play-off spot, so there's little chance that their players will be even thinking of the beach let alone already being on it, unlike one or two closer to home (allegedly). Their consistency at this level has even allowed them to loan out Sam Mantom to Southend United for the rest of this season. The ideal outcome of Saturday's game would be a repeat of the reverse fixture back in December which saw a 1-0 win for us courtesy of a Kieron Morris goal - we even had the luxury of failing to score from a penalty (Oztumer), but that particular achievement would still probably apply at the moment. Incidentally, that day's League One table saw Plymouth Argyle in the bottom 4, and Bradford City in the play-off zone - how quickly things can change! Current form for the Iron:-

10 Mar Wigan Athletic (A) Drew 3-3
17 Mar Shrewsbury Town (H) Lost 1-2
24 Mar Rochdale (H) Drew 1-1
30 Mar Oxford United (A) Drew 1-1
7 Apr AFC Wimbledon (A) Drew 1-1
14 Apr Charlton Athletic (A) Won 0-1

Hardly promotion form, particularly considering the three drawn games against relegation candidates ... and speaking of relegation candidates what can Dean Keates bring to this game in terms of team selection that might bring us a much-needed point (or 3?)? One thing is for certain - we need to find some way of scoring at least a goal or two, and because this is something which our main strikers don't seem to be able to achieve is it perhaps time to see if our previously disregarded players are hungry enough, keen enough, call it what you will, are up to the task? The need to score is not merely related to the hunt for League One points, but at present we seem incapable of keeping a clean sheet, and it's unfair to expect Liam Roberts to keep turning in man-of-the-match performances week in and week out. Hopefully Fitzwater will have shaken off the injury that removed him from the game against AFC Wimbledon, and if Devlin can keep his enthusiasm in check we might not give away more penalties (but I won't hold my breath).

Prediction? Scunthorpe's scoring record isn't all that great (59 this season in League One, against our 51) despite putting 3 in the net at Wigan, so in the spirit of eternal optimism I will say that a 1-1 draw is probably the best that we can hope for. Mitchell Candlin to get one for us..........

Other fixtures of interest:

AFC Wimbledon v Oldham Athletic
Doncaster Rovers v Oxford United
Northampton Town v Plymouth Argyle
Rochdale v Bradford City
Southend United v M K Dons

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Re: Scunthorpe United (A) 21st Apr, 3pm

Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:23 am

0-0... meaning 3 points required from 3 games....

Squeak Squeak

simonUTS
UTS Regular

Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:47 am

Welcome back Welsh!

We'll lose 2-0, despite keeping a clean sheet until the 85th minute...

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:40 pm

Welcome back WELSH..you were missed. The best we can hope for is 0-0 and that doesn't look very likely to me after Saturday. I am told the players were angry and distraught at their capitulation so perhaps we may see a lot of determination to put things right. Its our only chance!! UTS

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:10 pm

Anyone know if they do a shuttle bus service from the station? Bit of a long walk and I don't really want to venture into the town as it's a bit of a dump to put it mildly. :mrgreen:

As for the game, difficult to call. Scunny in play offs but they haven't actually won that many games in last two months and sacked their manager recently.

They've lost to Oldham and drew 1-1 with Rochdale and 2-2 in recent times so mini Bescot certainly isn't a fortress for them. They haven't won at home since New Years day (yet are 5th).

1-1.

PT
Site Addict

Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:12 pm

One thing that I’m sure we can guarantee is that in a bid to dampen expectation somebody from Scunthorpe, probably the manager or a senior player will use the term “fighting for their lives” when talking about us.

But we’re not really are we? We’re “hoping for our lives” but I didn’t see too much fight last week.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:16 pm

We need to be able to score...but can't, so 0-0 is the best we can even hope for, however, with Scunny in the play off's what chance is there that we can keep a clean sheet against 'em?......................more likelyhood of North Korea abandoning their nuclear programme!
Players distraught my a**e! 2-0 up and losing 2-3 against relegation competition, at home? It just stinks of careless unprofessionalism.
Will Keates pick Bakayoko up front again?.....................................................his alternative choices are endless! What a mess Whitney has left us with. No attack, colander defence, Devlin enthusiastic but liable to catastrophic lunges, a bench full of kids and/or injury ridden crocks.........so encouraging for us fans. :(

Gripper
Glitterati

Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:29 am

SoccerHQ wrote:Anyone know if they do a shuttle bus service from the station? Bit of a long walk and I don't really want to venture into the town as it's a bit of a dump to put it mildly. :mrgreen:

As for the game, difficult to call. Scunny in play offs but they haven't actually won that many games in last two months and sacked their manager recently.

They've lost to Oldham and drew 1-1 with Rochdale and 2-2 in recent times so mini Bescot certainly isn't a fortress for them. They haven't won at home since New Years day (yet are 5th).

1-1.

Use Google Maps and find a bus that way mate. Think there’s a bus which serves the nearby retail park.

Safe Travels.

layzeedude
UTS Regular

Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:47 am

Doesn't feel like it but we've scored 4 in our last 3 games (with a little help). Scunthorpe have only got 3 from 3 and a record of draws against teams around us...

...so obviously we'll get hammered! :P

Will stick my optimistic hat on and day a sneaky 0-1 with the winner going in off Bakka's arse.

UTS

LD

Enniskillen
UTS Veteran

Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:20 am

especting 4-4-2
same team as vs. Oldham
but possibly Oz for Ngoy up front.

1-1 Morris to score in the 85th minute

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:08 am

SoccerHQ wrote:Anyone know if they do a shuttle bus service from the station? Bit of a long walk and I don't really want to venture into the town as it's a bit of a dump to put it mildly. :mrgreen:

1-1.

I got the bus from the main road last time I went. If you want to jump in a taxi with the two of us we'll be getting one from the Wetherspoons (Blue Bell) at the top of the street that runs from the station to said main road around 1.30pm/1.45, down to Berkeley pub near ground, then doing the return trip about 5.15.

chunkster
Site Addict

Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:55 am

Just praying that we get something from the game, and Deano has worked out our strengths and play to them :|
1-1 morris

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:47 pm

Scunthorpe 1 - 2 Walsall

Goals from Oztumer and Bakayoko for us. Saddlers to finally pull it outta the bag!!! Late goal back for them - nervy finish.
How good would that be.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:52 pm

chunkster wrote:Just praying that we get something from the game, and Deano has worked out our strengths and play to them :|
1-1 morris

Christ knows how he will do that, I've been watching us all season and I still don't know what our strengths are.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:45 pm

At least Fitzwater's fit.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:27 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:At least Fitzwater's fit.

Good, also glad to see some people still believing in miracles, I too would just love us to pull one outa the hat, cus I think the Northampton clash may fall foul of yet another catastrophic result, similar to the Wombles debacle. Most of Saturdays 'dreamland' predictions are subject to someone actually scoring a goal (or two :lol: ) Have we signed a new striker perhaps, or has 'Dynamo' put the players under a spell, making them think we can score?

See Fleetwood have taken on Joey Barton as Manager :lol: :lol: :lol: his 'gentle' approach may lead to a couple of penalties for us at the final match, which may help towards it not being a write off after all! :wink:

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:55 pm

Even though after last game I am convinced we are going down and cannot see where this team will get any points I have had a weird brainstorm and think we can sneaky 1-0 win. :o

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:15 pm

Gripper wrote:

1-1.

Use Google Maps and find a bus that way mate. Think there’s a bus which serves the nearby retail park.

Safe Travels.

Yeah I did look at that but for some reason any bus that serves the ground from the centre only goes one way direction, does a tour of all the surrounding estates and takes 40 minutes!

BarnsleySaddler
Glitterati

Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:19 pm

Ah, sunny sunny, a wondrous place spent many happy days here working (and getting paid to travel there) including overtaking a bus on A18 in a TR7 when the throttle stuck open. As for the match I tend to go for a draw 1-1. I believe that Keates can improve these players as a team to keep us up. UTS

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:28 pm

https://www.Scunthorpe.co.uk/s ... re-1473519

Both managers asking for bravery

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:19 am

The 'iron' ONE

Powder puffettes NIL

Prove me wrong Walsall.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:20 am

We ain't gunna win. We're shite.

3-0 Scunny.

chunkster
Site Addict

Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:54 am

El_Nombre wrote:
chunkster wrote:Just praying that we get something from the game, and Deano has worked out our strengths and play to them :|
1-1 morris

Christ knows how he will do that, I've been watching us all season and I still don't know what our strengths are.
Being able to have games postponed because we have a couple of no marks playing for a nondescript country :lol: :mrgreen:

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:21 am

Fancy a draw for some reason!

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:30 am

Just have a watch of this and compare squads....is it really possible that we have spent more on the current one?!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5t5DmPizNs

scott_powell
Site Addict

Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:14 pm

aaaae wrote:Just have a watch of this and compare squads....is it really possible that we have spent more on the current one?!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5t5DmPizNs

I always forget how quick Rico Henry was. What a talent.

Wyrley Saddler 66
UTS Regular

Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:47 pm

Roberts

Kinsella - Fitzwater - Guthrie - Leahy

Devlin - Cuvelier - Dobson - Morris

N'goy - Bakayoko

Need to create from midfield, as much as Chambers leads by example, he is not a captain and never creates

As long as we match Oldham and Rochdale

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:39 pm

A 2-0 defeat here, piling the pressure on for our final home game against Northampton.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:36 pm

" I have a dream, that the brotherhood of man will become a reality" not a scooby matey boy, a bit like wishing for a sneaky 1-0 win at Scunny, in the play off spots and looking to consolidate that spot, our Powder puffettes stand as much chance of that as the originator of the above speech stands of it ever coming true.
Still, we live in hope, we deserve at least one flukey win........perhaps Bradford or Fleetwood might have a bad day?
Our great forward 'OG' is due another! :D

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:33 pm

As we are going out in Barton-upon-Humber in the evening, to my shock, Mrs Hullsaddler announced today that she might come to the game, but I am loathe that she should put her 100% win record at risk (one game - Notts County at home in 1988) so thankfully she has decided to go to the delights of the retail park instead!
1-1 Evran Wright misses last minute penalty.

Next
Return to 2017-18 Season