Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Scunthorpe United (A) 21st Apr, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Gripper
Glitterati

Re: Scunthorpe United (A) 21st Apr, 3pm

Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:51 pm

scott_powell wrote:
Gripper wrote:
PT wrote:
Gripper wrote:Question for those there today and those not.

Would Bakayoko be called lazy if he wasn’t black?

Discuss.

Can’t find a post that accuses him of laziness, maybe you can help?

I never said there was.

I was referring to him being called a few things at the game such as - Lazy, idle and a “Black (expletive)”.

I also then called upon people not at the game to understand their view on it.

But don’t worry Scott Powell said it’s not racist so it can’t be. I’ll step down on the discussion point.

Good. If you genuinely heard racist abuse then call it out there and then. Racist for him being lazy/idle though? Utterly ridiculous. fudge off

Haha. Backing down. You clearly weren’t there.

I didn’t want to go down the lines of quoting what I heard (incase Bakayoko read this as I’d be bloody outraged and wouldn’t fancy playing again knowing that) - however when you’re saying there’s no racist undertone I had to.

Plain racist and disgraceful as far as I’m concerned. He runs his bollocks off yet he’s that good old term “lazy”. Classic.

Like I say though Scott you said it isn’t racist I can’t help but agree with you.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:56 pm

You seen twitter Gripper. You’re getting absolutely roasted. What an embarrassment you are. You gunna defend yourself on there or stay quiet like you do at games ...where you hear such dreadful abuse like “LAZY” and “BONE IDLE” :roll: :lol: twerp.

Gripper
Glitterati

Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:58 pm

scott_powell wrote:You seen twitter Gripper. You’re getting absolutely roasted. What an embarrassment you are. You gunna defend yourself on there or stay quiet like you do at games ...where you hear such dreadful abuse like “LAZY” and “BONE IDLE” :roll: :lol: twerp.

Is your entire life lived through the Internet?

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:03 pm

Gripper wrote:
scott_powell wrote:You seen twitter Gripper. You’re getting absolutely roasted. What an embarrassment you are. You gunna defend yourself on there or stay quiet like you do at games ...where you hear such dreadful abuse like “LAZY” and “BONE IDLE” :roll: :lol: twerp.

Making an observation ... a genuine one though.

I hope you’re not black as the criticisms aimed at you would make everyone racist :roll:

Gripper
Glitterati

Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:07 pm

scott_powell wrote:
Gripper wrote:

I hope you’re not black as the criticisms aimed at you would make everyone racist :roll:

Like I said - life exists outside of here/Twitter.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:12 pm

Gripper wrote:
scott_powell wrote:
Gripper wrote:

Like I said - life exists outside of here/Twitter.

Oh trust me I have a life. A very exciting fun filled one actually. I have a girlfriend don’t you know. In a band too. Oh and saved a shite load with my mini boycott. Great ain’t it!! I can also differentiate between criticism and racism, what a life!

Gripper
Glitterati

Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:46 pm

Away from trying to spark a debate following on from what I heard today (sorry - I didn’t hear it -
Please file with Carl Ikeme claims). Apologies for people that had to read through what followed....Ffs.

We were ok - didn’t deserve to lose. Keates has it right by saying 0-0 would’ve been fair.

Fans were a credit. Was some singing about Whitney, who if I remember was relieved of his duties in the middle of March..no idea why he’s still being sang about during a game. The damage has been done - time to try and recover.

Dobson was great (again). Baka looked much more lively when the Ozzy change happened, they just understand each other so much better than the Baka/Ngoy partnership.

Considerate team selection will keep us up..however I can see us going down.

Another point dropped in reality after the 3 dropped last week....awful.

Anyone got our stats on losing points from winning positions btw? would be intrigued to see.

Larryhaggler1

Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:13 am

I really really despise Jeff Bonser.
Not jealousey because he has become a multi millionaire from the club, but simply because of what my club has now become.
The cancer we always talked about is now irreversible.
The football has been awful for 2 seasons, the budget is pathetic, the squad is a mess, the previous manager was a physio, and we are now about to reap what the board and Jeff has sowed.
We as fans do not deserve this. The lack of ambition around the club stinks.
we simply cannot progresses as a club until he is removed or leaves, I fudge hate him.

I hope you don't attend on Saturday you leech.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:14 am

PT wrote:
Gripper wrote:Question for those there today and those not.

Would Bakayoko be called lazy if he wasn’t black?

Discuss.

Can’t find a post that accuses him of laziness, maybe you can help?

Fryatt thread on AAW.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:23 am

Speaking frankly, I do think black players have a higher mountain to climb to win over the fans. Also, there exists elements in our fan base that express racist views, vocally at games occasionally.

Manny Smith away at Mk a few years ago, and again at home last season, an individual shouting the N word. Both of these I challenged directly.

Doesn't make us a rascist club though, or any excuse for an individual to hide behind. I think there is an element of this flavouring some of the criticism towards Baka, but only from individuals blighted by this kind of mindset and certainly not the majority.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:15 am

Meh, I’ve heard racist stuff shouted at Baka. Not yesterday but definitely at Bristol Rovers away and Charlton away. Entirely possible it happened yesterday.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:19 am

I agree with your comments SAIGON....my only direct knowledge of racism was at Stoke in the late nineties when a bloke near me racially abused Ricketts throughout the game. One or two others joined in sporadically but I remained quiet(to my shame) as he was an awfully big bloke! Nowadays I don't think you get much of it although I sit in the OAP stand and most of us sleep through most matches :D .....from what I have read that is probably the best option. Anyway a narrow defeat yesterday by all accounts...pressure is now on and like most I have doubts we can take it. WM pointed out that if you leave Chambers out of the equation our oldest players yesterday were Guthrie and Leahy at 24!!! Talk about an unbalanced squad!!!

chunkster
Site Addict

Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:26 am

I thought all that racist bollocks ended in the kenny mower era :| but you will always get it at matches, not just ours but every team in every division . Because sometimes football is followed by cretinous Neanderthals :| I think some people are institutionaly racist, think about traveling in a car with other family members, some young impressionable kid sitting in the back, and you are cut up by a black or Asian guy or woman, what do you say without thinking :|
Last edited by chunkster on Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Enniskillen
UTS Veteran

Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:26 am

DK keeps blaming individual errors and I suppose most goals can be attributed to someone failing to win a tackle, stop a cross, poor marking or giving someone too much room to shoot. But this happens in league 1 and it happens at both ends of the pitch.

Yes we want to be difficult to beat but we also need to take advantage of situations when the opposition fail to stop us crossing, lose tackles, don't mark well enough and give us too much room. Sadly we are lacking at both ends of the pitch.

Until we start posing a threat and score goals we ain't going to win and 3 draws aren't good enough.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:37 am

El_Nombre wrote:Meh, I’ve heard racist stuff shouted at Baka. Not yesterday but definitely at Bristol Rovers away and Charlton away. Entirely possible it happened yesterday.

He missed a chance near the end of Coventry away last season.

A group of 4 near me, one of them said pretty audibly "we don't like blacks here at Walsall."

Only time I've ever heard stuff like that at a match, nothing yesterday like that though.

Whitters
Site Addict

Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:18 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:Wouldn't say he was lazy, just useless, should never had had this long a tenure in the striker position, he couldn't strike a match. But then again what choice have we?

Baka, if you're reading this drivel, ignore it.

As Troy Deeney recently said, they watch football because they can't play.
He could have also added that no matter how long they have watched most of them haven't the first idea what it's all about.
You would think that long term watchers would realise that confidence and belief plays a huge part in a players and a teams performance.

For AM to come on here and have such a savage go at a young striker at this stage in the season when relegation is so close to a certainty but can still be avoided is just criminal.

You are no supporter AM, you're just a football fan who knows very little about motivation and confidence and the game itself.
If we go down it's "support" like yours that's contributed.
Keates has his hands full without having to combat your undermining.

Take a long hard look in your mirror or better still, give your "backing" to some other club.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:45 am

Whitters wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:Wouldn't say he was lazy, just useless, should never had had this long a tenure in the striker position, he couldn't strike a match. But then again what choice have we?

He could have also added that no matter how long they have watched most of them haven't the first idea what it's all about.
You would think that long term watchers would realise that confidence and belief plays a huge part in a players and a teams performance.

For AM to come on here and have such a savage go at a young striker at this stage in the season when relegation is so close to a certainty but can still be avoided is just criminal.

You are no supporter AM, you're just a football fan who knows very little about motivation and confidence and the game itself.

Take a long hard look in your mirror or better still, give your "backing" to some other club.

I would say to Baka, look at this 'drivel' and take a long hard look at yourself. We can no longer play the 'young man' card,
He is first choice centre forward, or 'striker' as the modern idiom would have us believe. We rely on strikers to score goals, strange as that may seem to some like yourself Whitters. He seems incapable of doing that so what is the point of constantly picking him for the team.
No, I was never a great footballer in my youth, great goalkeeper yes, but far too small.
I have been a ref for a good number of years , so yes, I do know about motivation/confidence etc, I have seen very good
teams on park pitches that would run rings around our mob of so called pro players.
Ask yourself some basic questions about this 'young' man that you defend with such vigour (and believe me you are in a small minority).
Can he score goals...NO
Can he tackle............NO
Can he trap a ball.....NO
Does he make great passes...NO
Does he make darting runs...NO
Can he make great crosses...NO
Can he hold the ball up..........NO

The list is endless, he would attract the same critics if he were 30 so don't try the young man routine to defend a player that is just robbing the club of a salary, it doesn't wash.
And no I won't 'support' Rorthrum/Bournemouth etc Walsall is MY club too, and I am ashamed that we are about to be relegated!

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:49 am

Ancient Moaner wrote:
Whitters wrote:

I would say to Baka, look at this 'drivel' and take a long hard look at yourself. We can no longer play the 'young man' card,
He is first choice centre forward, or 'striker' as the modern idiom would have us believe. We rely on strikers to score goals, strange as that may seem to some like yourself Whitters. He seems incapable of doing that so what is the point of constantly picking him for the team.
No, I was never a great footballer in my youth, great goalkeeper yes, but far too small.
I have been a ref for a good number of years , so yes, I do know about motivation/confidence etc, I have seen very good
teams on park pitches that would run rings around our mob of so called pro players.
Ask yourself some basic questions about this 'young' man that you defend with such vigour (and believe me you are in a small minority).
Can he score goals...NO
Can he tackle............NO
Can he trap a ball.....NO
Does he make great passes...NO
Does he make darting runs...NO
Can he make great crosses...NO
Can he hold the ball up..........NO

The list is endless, he would attract the same critics if he were 30 so don't try the young man routine to defend a player that is just robbing the club of a salary, it doesn't wash.
And no I won't 'support' Rorthrum/Bournemouth etc Walsall is MY club too, and I am ashamed that we are about to be relegated!

That's the point. He's not 30. he's 22.

I don't think he is the answer and i don't think he will develop into the answer but what do you mean doesn't wash? His age is an undeniable fact lol. He is young.

As for "I have seen very good teams on park pitches that would run rings around our mob of so called pro players" course you have mate :roll:

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:14 am

Agree with Ancient , the blokes 22 with over 100 first team appearances he's hardly a kid let get that straight.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:18 am

Mazza01 wrote:Agree with Ancient , the blokes 22 with over 100 first team appearances he's hardly a kid let get that straight.

Since when has being 22 made you a seasoned pro in your prime? Just doesn't.

Whitters
Site Addict

Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:22 am

Ancient Moaner wrote:And no I won't 'support' Rorthrum/Bournemouth etc Walsall is MY club too, and I am ashamed that we are about to be relegated!

And my point is that your timing is wrong, you should be backing all of our lads at this crucial stage.
We can still get out of this.
Did you not see what confidence and motivation did for WBA on the weekend?
Our lads will be in their shells reading the sort of stuff you spout off with.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:28 am

El_Nombre wrote:
Mazza01 wrote:Agree with Ancient , the blokes 22 with over 100 first team appearances he's hardly a kid let get that straight.

Of course he isn't a seasoned pro lol , but at 22 he should be showing a lot more promise .... :roll:

Please don't try and tell me I am wrong.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:30 am

Mazza01 wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:

Of course he isn't a seasoned pro lol , but at 22 he should be showing a lot more promise .... :roll:

Well I did say I don't think he will develop into the answer. But hey, I'm sure there have been worse players at 22 that have developed into something much better.

Please don't try and tell me I'm wrong when saying 22 is a still a kid in football terms.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:32 am

El_Nombre wrote:
Mazza01 wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:

Well I did say I don't think he will develop into the answer. But hey, I'm sure there have been worse players at 22 that have developed into something much better.

Please don't try and tell me I'm wrong when saying 22 is a still a kid in football terms.

Perhaps you could provide an example to back that up?

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:33 am

He's had two full seasons now so it should be past a young kid learning the game which he was in his sub appearences under Smith.

It's different to someone like Shaibu who looks poor but I think is a case of a player who got comfortable playing youth football and the step up to the senior league has been a bit of a shock to him.

Only thing you can say in defence of Baka still is Grigg made his debut in I think 2008 and it only starting coming together in 2012 and he's since developed into a very good league 1 striker.

That's a rare case though as plenty of other strikers haven't amounted to much here down the years.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:48 am

Mazza01 wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:
Mazza01 wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:

Perhaps you could provide an example to back that up?

Back what up?

otherbournemouthsaddler
UTS Regular

Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:51 am

I don't want to get into a slanging match about whether 22 years old is young or not but thought i would check on one of our strikers who started at the same age namely Matty Fryatt.

Lucky for me as maths is not my strong point they were born 10 years apart so makes the comparision easier- Fraytt 1986 Baka 1996

Baka made his debut in 2013-14 season
Fryatt made his debut in 2003-04 season

Fratt's LEAGUE stats for Walsall 2003/4 - jan 2006 apps- 70 goals -27

Baka for Walsall in only the LEAGUE 2013-to nearly end of 2017-2018 apps: 75 goals - 8

I'm not using this as a direct comparision between the two - Baka hardly got a sniff for the first three seasons and Matty Fraytt was a special finisher.

By the age of 22 it should give some indication of how good a footballer is likely to be at the current club- he might end up becoming a world beater but it's really not happening for him at Walsall.

League 2 might be a lot better for him - I really dont want us to go down to find out....

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:08 am

otherbournemouthsaddler wrote:I don't want to get into a slanging match about whether 22 years old is young or not but thought i would check on one of our strikers who started at the same age namely Matty Fryatt.

Lucky for me as maths is not my strong point they were born 10 years apart so makes the comparision easier- Fraytt 1986 Baka 1996

Baka made his debut in 2013-14 season
Fryatt made his debut in 2003-04 season

Fratt's LEAGUE stats for Walsall 2003/4 - jan 2006 apps- 70 goals -27

Baka for Walsall in only the LEAGUE 2013-to nearly end of 2017-2018 apps: 75 goals - 8

I'm not using this as a direct comparision between the two - Baka hardly got a sniff for the first three seasons and Matty Fraytt was a special finisher.

By the age of 22 it should give some indication of how good a footballer is likely to be at the current club- he might end up becoming a world beater but it's really not happening for him at Walsall.

League 2 might be a lot better for him - I really dont want us to go down to find out....

Your absolutely right, I don't think Baka is as good as Fryatt and I don't think he will turn out to be. I've made that pretty clear.

It's young enough to not be out of the realms of possibility though. Fryatt ALWAYS looked like he would be a good player. Some players do that. Michael Owen came out of the womb looking like he would score a ton of goals. But there are examples in the other direction.

Daryl Murphy had 34 goals in 226 appearances, a scoring rate of 0.14 a game, similar to Baka 0.13, before at the age of 30 going at virtually a goal every other game in the Championship for Ipswich when he signed properly.

Granted he looked better than Baka but I don't remember many people who thought Rickie Lambert would go at a goal every other game in the Premiership when he was struggling at Stockport County.

On a completely different scale (purely because these examples are more famous examples), I don't remember many people thinking Marko Materzzi would be going on to win World Cups and European Championships when he was getting sent off at Everton 3 times in 27 appearances and nobody in England wanted him. Luca Toni couldn't get out of Serie B, about League one level, until he turned 25, started banging them in and won a World Cup medal and a couple of League Titles at massive clubs.

22 is no age in football.

There we go, I've done it now, backed up my "you're just trying to disagree with people" argument with fact so now I will have too much time on my hands.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:15 pm

Luca Toni?

Another excuse to field this musical gem! :D

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:32 pm

Great support and had 0-0 written all over it.

MASSIVE game on Saturday

PreviousNext
Return to 2017-18 Season