Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Scunthorpe United (A) 21st Apr, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
kshammer
Site Addict

Re: Scunthorpe United (A) 21st Apr, 3pm

Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:00 pm

We're gone.

Scunthorpe in awful form, we can't defend, can't score, cack players, no momentum.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:00 pm

Circling the plughole ... players sounded like they gave it a go, so full credit.

UTS

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:02 pm

Soton Saddler wrote:Seen as many of us wrote this game off as a defeat we should be cautious about writing ourselves off - fans sound like they've been fantastic today, we'll done to them.

Yeah, in the grand scheme of things it doesn’t change the situation.

The Northampton game is still a must win, just as it was before a ball was kicked today. Rochdale and Oldham both dropping points has helped a little.

Currently 4 points between Wimbledon in 16th and Northampton in 22nd.

Beating Northampton would put us safe from Northampton, MK and Bury no matter what happened in other games. Then it’ll be a scrap between us, Rochdale & Oldham... and possibly AFC to avoid the last relegation place.

BarnsleySaddler
Glitterati

Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:03 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:Circling the plughole ... players sounded like they gave it a go, so full credit.

UTS

Certainly sounds like they tried. Keates has them playing better but they still find it difficult to put that round thingy in the back of the net. Has Keates got enough time left to turn this around.

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:04 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
Soton Saddler wrote:Seen as many of us wrote this game off as a defeat we should be cautious about writing ourselves off - fans sound like they've been fantastic today, we'll done to them.

Pity the team couldn't match their enthusiasm!

Stunts are 6th from top, we mirror that at the bottom. Listening to the report, effort wasn't lacking but quality is thanks to whitless and bonser is. Even last week, effort wasn't really the issue.

saddlertd
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:14 pm

It’s like watching the film Titanic: we know the ending, we are going down. Keates can re-arrange the deckchairs as much as he likes but we are just not good enough. We have very little quality and almost zero goal threat. We are a mid-to-bottom League 2 side and we’ll find this out next season. Keates has got a massive re-building job and I’m not sure he’s up to it. Roll on 6th May and we can forget about this absolutely sh!te season.

Michal
UTS Regular

Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:17 pm

I liked how Walsall was playing, or tried to play. Unfortunately little lack of quality upfront and in def left too big holes. Well, next game will determine club's future for the next 5 or 10 or 15 years. So, no big pressure. Not at all. But I was thinking, when they made subs, who can enter and influence events on the pitch. Second George Dobson, to help midfield contain opponent. But he was already playing. So, another season, another disappointment in winter transfer window. But this time it can cost league one status. Sad times, after results in this gameweek.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:17 pm

boringteacher wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:

Stunts are 6th from top, we mirror that at the bottom. Listening to the report, effort wasn't lacking but quality is thanks to whitless and bonser is. Even last week, effort wasn't really the issue.

Just lacking someone to put the ball in the net. That problem has got worse and worse. I don't want to see us relegated...the ignominy is sickening, but what prospect do we have when there is NO ONE capable of scoring, how long has it been since a forward scored a goal?

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:20 pm

Is this where we overreact to three points we didn’t think we’d get anyway?

Personally I’d have taken not being in the relegation zone after this weekend and it was a great effort from the players still plenty to play for.

saddlertd
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:20 pm

boringteacher wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:

Scunthorpe have similar gates to us yet they are in the play-offs and we are in a relegation battle? How are they doing it? I suppose they don’t have a pension fund creaming off £400k every season: this has to end!

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:22 pm

El_Nombre wrote:Is this where we overreact to three points we didn’t think we’d get anyway?

Personally I’d have taken not being in the relegation zone after this weekend and it was a great effort from the players still plenty to play for.

Also Oztumer needs to play. Every fudge game.

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:23 pm

saddlertd wrote:
boringteacher wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:

Scunthorpe have similar gates to us yet they are in the play-offs and we are in a relegation battle? How are they doing it? I suppose they don’t have a pension fund creaming off £400k every season: this has to end!

Can't disagree with that

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:23 pm

I don’t think it’s about quality, formation or organisation any more

There’s just zero confidence and it’s too late to do anything about that now

I’m going to enjoy the game next week as it will likely be the last at this level for a long while

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:25 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:how long has it been since a forward scored a goal?

Was it last Saturday, Tone?

No more than expected today. That shocker of a penalty decision last week will kill us in the end.

Paulus68
UTS Regular

Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:25 pm

This game was always an electronic fishcake defeat for me. On the whole we have got off quite lightly today. Pity about Oxford but the Gills have been dragged in . NTFc now have all to play for. Its not over yet.

saddlertd
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:27 pm

El_Nombre wrote:Is this where we overreact to three points we didn’t think we’d get anyway?

I don’t think it’s overreacting when your team is slipping inexorably to relegation, and never looked like scoring today. Sooner or later, we have to win a game: do you really feel confident we can do that in our 3 remaining fixtures? After today, I don’t.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:33 pm

But we lost....................Northampton, made a great effort, and beat Plymouth, Oxford made a great effort and won away at Donny, Rochdale made a great effort and nearly beat Bradford. We have to learn how to score goals, because we can't, and it will probably send us down, effort or no 'effort'.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:33 pm

saddlertd wrote:

I don’t think it’s overreacting when your team is slipping inexorably to relegation, and never looked like scoring today. Sooner or later, we have to win a game: do you really feel confident we can do that in our 3 remaining fixtures? After today, I don’t.

Saddlertd how did you reckon we’d get on before today? Cos I and a lot of others thought it would be worse than it was.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:36 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:

But we lost....................Northampton, made a great effort, and beat Plymouth, Oxford made a great effort and won away at Donny, Rochdale made a great effort and nearly beat Bradford. We have to learn how to score goals, because we can't, and it will probably send us down, effort or no 'effort'.

Nearly beat Bradford? Ooooooh what an effort.

To be honest after watching us against Wimbledon scoring isn’t the problem it’s defending.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:36 pm

El_Nombre wrote:
saddlertd wrote:

Saddlertd how did you reckon we’d get on before today? Cos I and a lot of others thought it would be worse than it was.

I would imagine he thought we would lose, like we will against Bradford & Fleetwood, we almost always lose to all three, even when we have even half decent teams!

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:37 pm

El_Nombre wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:

To be honest after watching us against Wimbledon scoring isn’t the problem it’s defending.

What are you willing to bet they beat us!!!!

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:38 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:
saddlertd wrote:

I would imagine he thought we would lose, like we will against Bradford & Fleetwood, we almost always lose to all three, even when we have even half decent teams!

3? I count two and one of those is last game of the season waiting for Joey Barton to take his chance. I haven’t brought my ticket to Forrest Green yet.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:39 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:

What are you willing to bet they beat us!!!!

Nothing mate. Believe it or not I don’t think we’ll beat them.

I know it’s unheard of to want us to win round here

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:50 pm

You can't say this was a game we didn't expect to win so why moan.. we have won 1 game in 8 , in other terms we are not beating anyone at present.

We now have Northampton up next who now have something to play for , so that game has now become even more difficult for the players.

Lose next week and I think that we will be that.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:55 pm

Mazza01 wrote:You can't say this was a game we didn't expect to win so why moan.. we have won 1 game in 8 , in other terms we are not beating anyone at present.

We now have Northampton up next who now have something to play for , so that game has now become even more difficult for the players.

Wut? Plenty of people said that lol

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:05 pm

El_Nombre wrote:
Mazza01 wrote:You can't say this was a game we didn't expect to win so why moan.. we have won 1 game in 8 , in other terms we are not beating anyone at present.

That's not the point is it lol

Point is if we use your theory then it's only Northampton that we can expect to take points from.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:09 pm

Mazza01 wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:

That's not the point is it lol

Point is if we use your theory then it's only Northampton that we can expect to take points from.

My theory? fudge are you on about? I haven’t got a theory?

Fact that people didn’t expect us to win this though

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:26 pm

in an ironic mathematical way we could actually secure league 1 status next Saturday!!!

we need mk Oldham and rochdale all to lose Tuesday night

then we need Oldham and rochdale to lose next Saturday

then the hard bit weve got to beat cobblers

do all that and we stay up even with 2 games to go

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:28 pm

This .

Every game is an opportunity to get points , no one is overreacting the clubs on the verge of relegation you patronising tosser!

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:32 pm

wednesburysaddler wrote:in an ironic mathematical way we could actually secure league 1 status next Saturday!!!

we need mk Oldham and rochdale all to lose Tuesday night

then we need Oldham and rochdale to lose next Saturday

then the hard bit weve got to beat cobblers

do all that and we stay up even with 2 games to go

I would pop in ladbrokes and ask them about that one. :)

PreviousNext
Return to 2017-18 Season