Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Scunthorpe United (A) 21st Apr, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
latviancheese
Site Addict

Re: Scunthorpe United (A) 21st Apr, 3pm

Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:15 pm

Baka has all the attributes, big, quick, strong, but no nouse, no footballing brain. This is whats holding him back.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:18 pm

latviancheese wrote:Baka has all the attributes, big, quick, strong, but no nouse, no footballing brain. This is whats holding him back.

Agreed. And you either have a footballing brain or you don't. You can't coach that into someone which is why he'll never be good enough at league 1 level in my eyes. Would love him to prove me wrong though.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:34 pm

scott_powell wrote:
latviancheese wrote:Baka has all the attributes, big, quick, strong, but no nouse, no footballing brain. This is whats holding him back.

Agreed. And you either have a footballing brain or you don't. You can't coach that into someone which is why he'll never be good enough at league 1 level in my eyes. Would love him to prove me wrong though.

His pace is underestimated too, if only he could learn how to arc a run

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:51 pm

Awaiting AM's verdict on Candlin with baited breath ... how old is he again?

:?: :mrgreen:

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:55 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:Awaiting AM's verdict on Candlin with baited breath ... how old is he again?

Dunno but I bet he can't prepare a set of accounts, the useless millennial! :wink:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:59 pm

El_Nombre wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:Awaiting AM's verdict on Candlin with baited breath ... how old is he again?

Dunno but I bet he can't prepare a set of accounts, the useless millennial! :wink:

He can't what??? Basic stuff. That's it, flick him off - he's had more than enough time to get to grips with that stuff. Waste of of a shirt.

Next! :lol:

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:25 pm

scott_powell wrote:

I read an interesting article in The Times a few months ago regarding stereotypes. An analyses had been carried out on how players' attributes are described. It concluded that black players were often described as quick, strong, athletic whereas White/Latino players were intelligent, skillful. A particular example used was Lukaku. According to some pundits he lacks the footballing intelligence of someone like Alexis Sanchez. Apparently Lukaku speaks 6 or 7 languages, has a very high IQ and spends hours analysing every defensive player he faces prior to each game and more hours analysing his own performance.

Don't shoot the messenger :mrgreen:

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:05 pm

aaaae wrote:
chunkster wrote:
NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:Isn't it the case that the owner and the manager(as his hands are tied by budget) search year after year for a home grown striker because this position is the one position that cannot be filled from outside the club as a decent stiker costs.And if you do manage to raise a home grown one its as good as money in the bank.Its all about money.

Yes but we got Bradshaw for next to nothing, and look how he turned out :wink:

We didn't. We paid Bradshaw well to move from Shrewsbury.
Oh right? i thought we only paid about £100.000 with a sell on clause.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:15 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
scott_powell wrote:

I read an interesting article in The Times a few months ago regarding stereotypes. An analyses had been carried out on how players' attributes are described. It concluded that black players were often described as quick, strong, athletic whereas White/Latino players were intelligent, skillful. A particular example used was Lukaku. According to some pundits he lacks the footballing intelligence of someone like Alexis Sanchez. Apparently Lukaku speaks 6 or 7 languages, has a very high IQ and spends hours analysing every defensive player he faces prior to each game and more hours analysing his own performance.

Don't shoot the messenger :mrgreen:

Romaine Sawyers. Intelligent and skillful. Some strength but not exceptionally quick or athletic.

I don't do stereotypes. Just judge what I see :wink:

Harry
UTS Veteran

Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:34 pm

swampysaddler wrote:And you know this based on what evidence ?
How many chances has Candlin had in the first team ?
So in your eyes a striker who is senior in years and appearances, but can't hit a barn door, is better than an up and coming teenage striker who hasn't been even given a chance ?

Candlin has made 8 first team appearances, including one start. From his performances to date at the age of 16 and 17 he is not at present better than Bakayoko. That is not just "in my eyes" but is also the opinion of Whitney, Sharps and Keates who have seen what he can do in training, and rarely put him on the bench. I hope that he gets more chances and eventually becomes a much better striker than Bakayoko, but unfortunately he is not as of yet better than him.

Whatever you think of Bakayoko those who have picked the Walsall team this season, Whitney, Sharps and Keates rate him as the best available striker. Bakayoko has played every minute of every match since Keates became manager.

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:58 pm

Harry wrote:
swampysaddler wrote:And you know this based on what evidence ?
How many chances has Candlin had in the first team ?
So in your eyes a striker who is senior in years and appearances, but can't hit a barn door, is better than an up and coming teenage striker who hasn't been even given a chance ?

Candlin has made 8 first team appearances, including one start. From his performances to date at the age of 16 and 17 he is not at present better than Bakayoko. That is not just "in my eyes" but is also the opinion of Whitney, Sharps and Keates who have seen what he can do in training, and rarely put him on the bench. I hope that he gets more chances and eventually becomes a much better striker than Bakayoko, but unfortunately he is not as of yet better than him.

Whatever you think of Bakayoko those who have picked the Walsall team this season, Whitney, Sharps and Keates rate him as the best available striker. Bakayoko has played every minute of every match since Keates became manager.

Compared to over 100 !

There goes that argument. Baka 22 with over 100 appearances with a paltry return, Candlin a schoolkid.

And they obviously knew what they were doing. That's why Whitney is signing on and Sharps will be when the season ends hopefully.
Keates has been lumbered with their shite unfortunately.

Snap so I do I. How do we know Baka is better ? Let's compare when Candlin is 22. I will eat my hat if he has not scored more than Baka by then, whether that be with us or elsewhere.

And doesn't that say it all about the situation at Walsall, regarding centre forwards, that he is considered the best option ?

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:33 pm

Hahaha, lets see if Keates retains him in the close season if he is so good.
Why don't some of you lot that are so protective of the poor little soul adopt him, after all he's only 22....and then find him a job, cus he'll need one in the summer.
Bet he'll score a raft of goals in the last three matches, cus he'll certainly be picked. (which is a decision that may not go down too well with the majority of fans on the terraces!).

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:51 pm

Ngoy's all round game isn't great but what isn't debatable is how well he's finished his three goals.

If the score is 0-0 on 90 minutes and a Walsall striker is one-on-one with O'Donnell I can't believe any Walsall fan would rather Baka has that chance rather than Ngoy.

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:34 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:Ngoy's all round game isn't great but what isn't debatable is how well he's finished his three goals.

If the score is 0-0 on 90 minutes and a Walsall striker is one-on-one with O'Donnell I can't believe any Walsall fan would rather Baka has that chance rather than Ngoy.

To be honest after this abysmal season I would rather my remaining nan had a one on one with O'Donnell than either of them pair. :mrgreen:

Whitters
Site Addict

Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:36 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
Whitters wrote:Exile, with 7 pages so far on this thread surely the "there are more posts when we lose" camp are winning?

And I could add more posts trying to help AM understand my simple point but have given up on him as a lost cause.

Your 'simple point' was, that the poor lad is only 22 (ah diddums) so don't pick on him for being an utterly useless lump, just taking up a vital 11th red shirt thereby robbing us of another player on the field.

That wasn't my point at all.
I'll spell it out one last time.
Walsall FC are liable to be relegated unless we do well in the last few games.
Having a real go at one of our lads at this crucial time won't help us get out of the mire.
That's my point, lay off the lad while we're in this delicate situation.
I've never said he's the next Alan Shearer but it won't help Walsall FC if you have a go at this time.
Teams and players play better when they are confident and you are putting the lad down when it's least needed.
That's not the action of a person who loves his club.
There - I've repeated myself a few times to make it clearer as you might have failed comprehension as well as maths.

And what's PC got to do with this?

And don't think players and their friends and relatives don't read this and everything else about Walsall FC, they do.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:10 am

Whitters wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:
Whitters wrote:Exile, with 7 pages so far on this thread surely the "there are more posts when we lose" camp are winning?

And I could add more posts trying to help AM understand my simple point but have given up on him as a lost cause.

Your 'simple point' was, that the poor lad is only 22 (ah diddums) so don't pick on him for being an utterly useless lump, just taking up a vital 11th red shirt thereby robbing us of another player on the field.

Having a real go at one of our lads at this crucial time won't help us get out of the mire.
I've never said he's the next Alan Shearer but it won't help Walsall FC if you have a go at this time.
Teams and players play better when they are confident and you are putting the lad down when it's least needed.
There - I've repeated myself a few times to make it clearer as you might have failed comprehension as well as maths.

And don't think players and their friends and relatives don't read this and everything else about Walsall FC, they do.

In all fairness though its the approach you talk about that has put us in this position , even Dean Keates questioned the younger players and their contribution when he took the job.

Perhaps what they really need is a reality shock ... a kick up the ar*e because the previous approach clearly doesn't work!

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:13 am

Whitters wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:

If I were Baka reading these messages I would be saying to myself 'right you barstewards' I'll prove you all wrong in my last 3 games in a Walsall shirt, I WILL play well I WILL score the goals that will keep the team up and then sod you all, I'm off.....probably for his own good. Here's hoping he does well in his newly chosen profession.
Incidentally have you never heard of 'analogies'? Perhaps such things are beyond your comprehension?

And thanks Mazz at least some understand the need for the proverbial kick up the *rse that the lad needs.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:57 am

Whitters wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:

To defend AM here, what's more likely to affect Baka, deciding to log on to a random Walsall fans website (probably not a good idea when he knows the fans opinion of him) or hearing ironic chants about him at the match?

Before one of the corners on Saturday a large group were chanting "If Baka scores we're on the p***" He could hear it alright and it's a frequent chant used by fans towards players who can't score a goal.

He needs to be taken out of the firing line for his own good anyway.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:00 pm

From Saddlersstats

MINUTES PER GOAL (League One)

Agyei - 162
Roberts.T - 211
Oztumer - 242
Ngoy - 260
Fitzwater - 350
Edwards - 371
Kouhyar - 458
Bakayoko - 531

:lol: :lol:

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:39 pm

scott_powell wrote:From Saddlersstats

MINUTES PER GOAL (League One)

Agyei - 162
Roberts.T - 211
Oztumer - 242
Ngoy - 260
Fitzwater - 350
Edwards - 371
Kouhyar - 458
Bakayoko - 531

:lol: :lol:

Racist :D

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:36 pm

Oztumers quite high up that nice list for a midfielder. Rubbish him.

UTS Legend

Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:12 pm

The goal on Channel 5.
(Sorry, it wouldn't download last week.)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Cp28E7 ... p=drivesdk

Previous
Return to 2017-18 Season