Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

AFC Wimbledon (H) Apr 14th, 3:00pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Re: AFC Wimbledon (H) Apr 14th, 3:00pm

Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:11 pm

scott_powell wrote:Time for the Keates spunkfest to end. Pathetic. We need to react to this. If not we’re down.

It was cack 2nd half granted.
But I don’t think this is the time to turn on Keates.
It’s still the dogshit unbalanced squad assembled by Whitney.
I doubt you’d have been saying that at half time when we were 2-0 up.

The problem with this team is the same as much of the season. They go a goal up then think it’s “job done” and relax. Then when the other team pressures them they collectively sh*t themselves. It’s just panic and hoofing it back to the opposition whilst rooted to the edge of their own box.

I said a few weeks ago I feared for this team in a relegation battle and this is the reason why. As soon as there’s pressure they don’t have the bottle.

We could still get out of this but it’s going to go down to the wire and could rely on others helping us out! :?

UTS Legend

Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:17 pm

El_Nombre wrote:It’s happening. I said last week that our “loyal” fan base that we’re willing to give Keates time and said things like “it’s Whitney’s team he’s struggling with and he should get a chance even if we go down” would soon show their true colours.

Seems to be getting an awful lot of criticism for this one.

Not a surprise after that second half.

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:36 pm

that was such a heart wrenching defeat which you didn't see coming at half time at all.

ok we weren't flowing and creating chances but wed scored 2 goals and had something to build on.

ref was looking to add to his tallies of pens and the 2 timings of them were equally as bad.

had we have just played 10 mins of 2nd half and put a shift in we would have won that game.

I hate singling players out but if anyone can prove too me that bakayoko is a professional football player then please do.

has no pace poor touches never looks like running with the ball never looks like creating never looks like shooting

id be tempted to drop him then just get rid as even if we go down its still above his level by at least 3 divisions.
I have to say that this is the worst strike partnership we have had down at bescot in any team under any manager.
all that does is put immediate pressure on the defence. as soon as it went 2-2 there was only ever 1 winner we had just nothing but hoof balls up to a level 10 striker

EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:42 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:Oldham's last five:

Away to Rochdale
Away to Wimbledon
Home to SOuthend
Home to Doncaster
Away to Northampton

Think they'll lose to Rochdale but can also see them getting two wins from that.

Looking like whoever dosen't beat Northampton will get relegated.

Oldham are protected up on high, by the Prince of Darkness. When Siggi Eyjolfsson scored against them to take us to the second tier, they were struggling at the wrong end of this division, and nothing has changed. They could not bother showing up for a season and still finish 19th in this league, as usual.

Rochdale are going nowhere, and richly deserved, too. To negotiate their fixture congenstion, including a run of tough games, and be a game-in-hand away from out-of-the-zone, and have momentum to boot, is outstanding.

Today's results have put Oxford in the clear, and all but condemned MK. Northampton will run out of games to turn it around. I'll stick my neck out and say we and Wimbledon are competing to avoid the fourth spot.

m&m wrote: It all started with that idiot Devlin giving away a stupid penalty.

I know he has his fans, and his determination is clear to see, but along with Peterborough and Portsmouth, that's three recent, pivotal goals Devlin has cost us. I neglected to mention this on the match thread amidst the late euphoria, but I was in line with him in about the 48th(ish) minute against Bury, where he put a cross out of play, then launched into an unbelievable, f-laden tirade at the linesman, claiming a corner that clearly wasn't, and I don't think that linesman gave us another decision all day. I wasn't Oldham, but apparently he put a very reckless challenge in, with the game in the balance at 1-1, and was lucky to stay on the pitch. Bloke is a liability, for me.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:56 pm

Stuffed if it's just Wimbledon to compete for, they have Bury at home last day of the season. :shock:

Couldn't ask more for a gimee three points game than that.

Need to hope Oldham lose the next two, try to pick up something at Scunny and take things from there.

That second half has shook me , relegation is looking like a very realistic possiblity now and I've been reasonably confident the team would do just enough even in the last few weeks.

PT
Site Addict

Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:57 pm

Probably the right result despite the attention seeking ref making the ultimate difference between the two sides.

We got a right touch in the last minute last week. Went the other way this week.

We are so poor. Players in four camps:

Not good enough (E.g Devlin and Baka)
Good enough but ailing bodies ( e.g Flo and Chambers)
Good enough but can’t be arsed (e.g Ozzy and N’goy)
Good enough and trying (E.G Dobson and L.Roberts).

That lot is a recipe for relegation especially as two players who would be in that final group (Edwards and Fitzwater) might both be missing for the final run-in.

Not looking good I’m afraid.

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:59 pm

According to Keates on the radio he expected there to be a backlash from Wimbledon 2nd half and given their position it was obvious. Given we had a 2 - 0 lead I think a more experienced manager would have consolidated and not left cuvelier as the only cover for Devin who had already been slaughtered 1st half. Then 15 mins into 2nd half when they had changed to 3 at the back and pushed onto cuvelier and devline we still don’t consolidate.

The reality is the so called bounce has amounted to a 1 nil win over the bottom team who have given up and then it was only a last minute own goal.

There is no evidence of any change in fact I think the tinkering and change of management has left players confused about how they are supposed to play and the need to impress a new manager has just added to the nerves.

Whitney had to go his position was untenable with the majority of fans but the timing of the change will prove a disaster. It should have been done at a time when the new guy could have brought in his own players has Keates just doesn’t know this team and I don’t think he has time or know how in this particular situation we are in.

Dan Mole looked haunted at the end of this and I think they know it’s too late now this is all on the board no one else

Worst half I’ve seen for many years and to blame the ref is embarrassing

We need quality fight and luck to get out of this

The quality has been lost through nerves

2nd half today was men v boys and when fizzy went off no fight left

Still got a bit of luck in that the 2 teams below us play their game in hand against each other on Tuesday

I think the season has just gone on too long for us and we will drop in the bottom 4 last 2 games

Larryhaggler1

Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:03 pm

Oi el nobead

I went today and at no pint did Keats get any grief.

He should thought, 2nd half was the worst I can remember witnessing in recent times.

The players didn't react, the manager didn't react and worse than anything we were just plainly out fought.

We had no fight whatsoever, weak, slow and going through the motions.

If Whitney was manager today there would have been a riot

Tom_1992
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:06 pm

That result today lies firmly at the door of the board for not acting after the Newport game. Jon Whitney was allowed to continue and preside over another disastrous transfer window, which has left us with one of the weakest and unbalanced squads I have ever seen.

The performance at Oldham showed that Keates can organise a defence, but some of the decisions made by individual players are out of his control and show exactly what Whitney has left us with.

I quite like Devlin, he’s limited but he always puts a shift in. However, his two mistakes have cost us today. Firstly the inexplicable decision to go to ground in the penalty area, and secondly for aimlessly hoofing the ball straight back to their ‘keeper in the last minute to give him yet another chance at launching the ball the full length of the pitch into our box. What followed was a soft penalty, but the naivety of some of our play is staggering at times.

I think this is going right down to the Fleetwood game...

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:06 pm

I intend to support Keates and the team as I did when Whitney was in charge and at half time it appeared that he was potentially making progress. However, people who called for Whitney to go and treated Keates like the Messiah have just had a reality check.

I realise it's a team that Whitney assembled but as I mentioned on another thread this team with Whitney in charge beat Wimbledon, Scunthorpe and Fleetwood already so in theory we should be alright.

So before Whitney gets the blame it was not Whitney who failed to respond to the Wimbledon change of formation at half time, failed to take Flo off 20 minutes earlier when he was blowing like mad and could hardly run and played too narrow letting them run riot down the wing. It was not working in the second half and nothing was done to change it.

Never mind, I remember reading that Keates has a safe run this season and next at least by a number of posters on here. I hope he does well.

Tom_1992
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:09 pm

Oh, and what exactly can Keates do with this squad? AFC Wimbledon had genuine quality coming off the bench today (Barcham & Abdou) whereas we had absolutely nothing.

The only hope we’ve got is that we somehow grind out the points, or the teams behind us run out of games to catch us...

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:13 pm

The majority of that team are a bunch of spineless pricks masquerading as footballers, stealing a fudge living.

See some knobs on FB are giving Keates dog abuse. Nothing to do with the fudge useless squad building of Whitless and the fudge penny pinching owner who wouldn't sack him because it might cost him a few quid!!!

fudge off 99% of you!

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:15 pm

I think I have calmed down enough to post something considered.We were flattered by our 2-0 half time lead and everyone knew that the opposition would come at us in the second half. The Manager was out thought by his opposite number which was one factor but despite the individual errors including the referee the men really culpable were Baka.,Ngoy and Oztumer who contribution other than Ngoy's goal was a disgrace for professional footballers. Granted they got their shirts pulled time and again but they were simply hopeless. The ball didn't stick once with either of the two big men in the second half and Oztumer was a complete waste of a shirt.
I hope Dean learn't a lot this pm. about himself and the team. Really only the goalie,Dobson,Chambers(without whom we might have conceded many more)and Guthrie can be pleased with their performances. Fitzwater too did ok until he was injured.
If we are to retain Leahy and Devlin as first team performers then playing 3 at the back is essential next season but from the evidence today the rebuild for next season just gets bigger and bigger.

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:16 pm

I'm not excusing that second half performance but the ref (and linesman on oap stand side) had 'mares. Taylor, of the bleached hair, (more of him in a minute) scored a tremendous equaliser which should not have stood. He was miles offside.

What I'm fuming about is the 96th minute act of cheating by Taylor. Backed into our defence. Fell to ground to con the ref and the ref bought it. If that decision costs us L1 status, the ref should be sued.

All of that said, where the heck was our strikeforce? Aside from Chambers and Dobson, everyone from midfield forwards went AWOL in the second half. You'd have never known we had 2 let alone 3 "strikers" on the pitch.

Gutted.

Sadsfan
Glitterati

Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:38 pm

We played okay in the first half, tried to get the ball down and play and we looked good. Second half, panic set in and we just kept hoofing the ball to no one and it kept coming back. Our don't need to be a tactical genius to know that we needed to take the sting out of Wimbledon by keeping the ball and slowing the game down for the first 20 minutes. Keates took too long to make a change, although he didn't have much to use on the bench. I really can't see us getting anything from Scunny, Bradford and Fleetwood so I fear that even a win against the cobblers isn't going to be enough. A massive clearout is needed,keep L.Roberts, Dobson and Edwards the rest can go. Worst Walsall team for a long while.

UTS Legend

Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:08 pm

If you can bear to watch.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ls9OXK ... p=drivesdk

Two of their goals came from long punts upfield from their goalkeeper.
Last edited by Guest on Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:16 pm

The balance of the squad is shocking and there is only one man to blame for this.

Baka, morris, leahy and Devin should be shown the door.

Oztumer can do one and should not wear the shirt again.

Ngoy and shabs are almost better than useless.

If our 'strikers' were able to control the ball we would not come under such intense pressure.

Cuvelier was treading water after 70 mins, but with the shocking squad we have there's no-one else to bring on.

Give young Mitch as shot, can't do any worse than the others.

Dobson Roberts and fitz are the only ones that can hold their heads up high.

If we go down only Whitless and the Board to blame for the mess we are in.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:34 pm

See Oztumer had another storming game

Lol

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:48 pm

An absolute disgrace second half it was literally men against boys once first goal went in everyone panicked and played like 5 year olds.

I have no idea how Keats is going topick these players up and get any more points.

If or more likely when we get relegated no excuses we deserve it this is the worst squad of players for many years thanks Whitney.

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:01 pm

The board should take responsibility for this if we get relegated, and i think there should still be demonstrations :evil:

UTS Legend

Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:14 pm

The second penalty in slow motion

https://youtu.be/k4vHxQ4NhdI

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:34 pm

Guest wrote:The second penalty in slow motion

Amazed he gave that!

Also with all the criticism of Devlin, I was surprised he wasn't used in the same role as on Wednesday night, but presumably this was done to accommodate Oztumer?

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:42 pm

That was a monumentally poor decision :(

m&m
Glitterati

Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:59 pm

Deserving to lose and the ref deciding you definitely will lose are 2 very different things.
We now need to use that misjustice to galvanise and go on to stay in this league.
Oh and report this idiot to the fa.

Tom_1992
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:07 pm

Thought it was a soft decision at the time, but seeing it back just shows how much a shocker the ref has had. It really is a lottery with the officials at this level. AgainBury the ref was superb, he kept out of the action, let the game flow and most importantly was consistent in his decision making.

Today, the complete opposite.

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:30 pm

So we not only do we have to contend with one of the poorest teams in the last 4 decades, we have to contend with some of the poorest refs for our run in? great :(

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:35 pm

Guest wrote:The second penalty in slow motion

As I said, Taylor backed into Kory, then went to ground. It's called cheating. We were cack 2nd half but the ref cost us a point. I think it was Guthrie having "afters" with Taylor at the final whistle. Every bit of Taylor's expression told you he knew he'd conned the ref. Git.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:43 pm

tinned wrote:The majority of that team are a bunch of spineless pricks masquerading as footballers, stealing a fudge living.

See some knobs on FB are giving Keates dog abuse. Nothing to do with the fudge useless squad building of Whitless and the fudge penny pinching owner who wouldn't sack him because it might cost him a few quid!!!

fudge off 99% of you!

I’m convinced the reason we sacked him was cod it was at a break point in his contract. Our 3 year deals are usually 2 with a one year optional extension. With Whitney I bet we decided not to extend and thus cost us nowt to get rid

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:51 pm

scott_powell wrote:Time for the Keates spunkfest to end. Pathetic. We need to react to this. If not we’re down.

100% agree Scott

Emperors new clothes etc

Wrong time to change a manager should have been earlier it was the board who have made a big mistake clearly waiting until we were in the bottom 4 or weak early bird sales. Bunch of amateurs and should resign.

It was probably better to have been in bottom 4 in December to force an earlier change in manager.

Also wrong choice of manager( AT THIS TIME)

He needed to get more experience under his belt in an higher league.

What do the board expect from a non league manager with no experience of managing in league one let alone in a league one relegation battle. He was completely outclassed by the Wimbledon manager today.

So far I have not been impressed

I struggle to find any reason for his first move of dropping of Dobson in his first game. The best midfielder for a month and who has legs.

Then we had ngoy wide left

Today was just naive it was untrue the Wimbledon boss literally took sweets from kids with Keates

He lets a 2 - 0 lead slip which is criminal when we are so desperate for points.

At half time why not make changes. He leaves cuvelier on as the only protection for devlin. Cuvelier who is a crock, playing in hot conditions against a team who had clearly changed shape to use the wings. There are enough clues in there for heavens sake.

We watched Keats during the game and he was constantly effing and Jeffing at the 4th official we could hear him clearly and guess what we have 2 pens given against us. More clues here dean. Tell us again what you learned from sir ray

On the radio all he wants to talk about is the ref after the shambles he set up 2 nd half it is embarrassing to the club. Again dean run that past Graydon

To think we paid compensation and clearly we are now relying on luck

The board are a disgrace I’m so angry

Harry
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:59 pm

The penalty should not have been given, but a centre half in league football should not allow himself to be pushed backwards like that at the edge of the penalty area. It is the centre half's job to hold the line and bully the forwards, not be made a fool of like that. It would not have happened to James O'Connor or Matt Preston. Kory Roberts is athletic, quick and gives 100%, but is simply too skinny to be a centre half in league one.

And while we were unlucky with the decision any result other than a win for Wimbledon would have been an injustice. Last week we robbed the bottom club thanks to a crazy 89th minute own goal, but you cannot ride your luck every week. I would say that the only reason that we are still outside the relegation zone is that we have had more than our fair share of lucky breaks this season.

PreviousNext
Return to 2017-18 Season