Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

AFC Wimbledon (H) Apr 14th, 3:00pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Walsallone
UTS Legend

Re: AFC Wimbledon (H) Apr 14th, 3:00pm

Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:11 pm

I am angry too but to pile all the blame on the Manager is not right. I wanted a more experienced boss as you will see from my post at the time BUT he was not to blame for some of the performances we witnessed today. The front 3 were a disgrace and when you allow the opposition the freedom to play or punt long balls without challenge you are in trouble. Also I thought in his interview he was very fair...he accepted our responsibility for the first 2 goals and was quite correct in criticising the referee for the decision for the penalty in the last minute. It looked terrible at the time...on the video it is quite clearly a shameful decision which should never have happened.

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:18 pm

amazing how 3 goals can change a league table

at half time we were 16th and well clear now look at us 3 points clear and the team have a game in hand.
i fear after Saturday we will be in the bottom 4 and don't think well have the fight to get out of it.
going to the last game i think playing an in form Fleetwood away on a bank holiday weekend!!

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:22 pm

Cowshed wrote:
scott_powell wrote:Time for the Keates spunkfest to end. Pathetic. We need to react to this. If not we’re down.

100% agree Scott

Emperors new clothes etc

Wrong time to change a manager should have been earlier it was the board who have made a big mistake clearly waiting until we were in the bottom 4 or weak early bird sales. Bunch of amateurs and should resign.

It was probably better to have been in bottom 4 in December to force an earlier change in manager.

Also wrong choice of manager( AT THIS TIME)

He needed to get more experience under his belt in an higher league.

What do the board expect from a non league manager with no experience of managing in league one let alone in a league one relegation battle. He was completely outclassed by the Wimbledon manager today.

So far I have not been impressed

I struggle to find any reason for his first move of dropping of Dobson in his first game. The best midfielder for a month and who has legs.

Then we had ngoy wide left

Today was just naive it was untrue the Wimbledon boss literally took sweets from kids with Keates

He lets a 2 - 0 lead slip which is criminal when we are so desperate for points.

At half time why not make changes. He leaves cuvelier on as the only protection for devlin. Cuvelier who is a crock, playing in hot conditions against a team who had clearly changed shape to use the wings. There are enough clues in there for heavens sake.

We watched Keats during the game and he was constantly effing and Jeffing at the 4th official we could hear him clearly and guess what we have 2 pens given against us. More clues here dean. Tell us again what you learned from sir ray

On the radio all he wants to talk about is the ref after the shambles he set up 2 nd half it is embarrassing to the club. Again dean run that past Graydon

To think we paid compensation and clearly we are now relying on luck

The board are a disgrace I’m so angry
If i am correct in thinking you have had a bit of a go at my posts in the past then that is ok, i am not every bodies cup of tea, but i totally agree with your post :wink:

UTS Legend

Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:34 pm

"No Wimbledon side had ever picked up so much as a point at Walsall.." (Channel 5 highlights)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tV0GS1 ... p=drivesdk

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:46 pm

I'm at the stage where I genuinely couldn't give a cack about what division we're in next year.

Disgraceful performance today, get rid of the lot bar L.Roberts and Dobbo and start again.

Bury deserved to win, as did Wimbledon today. Theres no way four worse teams than us in the division - absolute disgrace.

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:52 pm

chunkster wrote:
Cowshed wrote:
scott_powell wrote:Time for the Keates spunkfest to end. Pathetic. We need to react to this. If not we’re down.

100% agree Scott

Emperors new clothes etc

Wrong time to change a manager should have been earlier it was the board who have made a big mistake clearly waiting until we were in the bottom 4 or weak early bird sales. Bunch of amateurs and should resign.

It was probably better to have been in bottom 4 in December to force an earlier change in manager.

What do the board expect from a non league manager with no experience of managing in league one let alone in a league one relegation battle. He was completely outclassed by the Wimbledon manager today.

I struggle to find any reason for his first move of dropping of Dobson in his first game. The best midfielder for a month and who has legs.

Today was just naive it was untrue the Wimbledon boss literally took sweets from kids with Keates

He lets a 2 - 0 lead slip which is criminal when we are so desperate for points.

At half time why not make changes. He leaves cuvelier on as the only protection for devlin. Cuvelier who is a crock, playing in hot conditions against a team who had clearly changed shape to use the wings. There are enough clues in there for heavens sake.

We watched Keats during the game and he was constantly effing and Jeffing at the 4th official we could hear him clearly and guess what we have 2 pens given against us. More clues here dean. Tell us again what you learned from sir ray

On the radio all he wants to talk about is the ref after the shambles he set up 2 nd half it is embarrassing to the club. Again dean run that past Graydon

If i am correct in thinking you have had a bit of a go at my posts in the past then that is ok, i am not every bodies cup of tea, but i totally agree with your post :wink:

If I have you should seriously take no notice

Ask anyone and they will tell you I could row with my own shadow

You can take the lad out of beechdale etc

saddlertd
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:01 pm

Larryhaggler1 wrote:Oi el nobead

I went today and at no pint did Keats get any grief.

He should thought, 2nd half was the worst I can remember witnessing in recent times.

The players didn't react, the manager didn't react and worse than anything we were just plainly out fought.

We had no fight whatsoever, weak, slow and going through the motions.

If Whitney was manager today there would have been a riot

I totally agree, Larry. Keates should have reacted to Wimbledon’s change in formation. When they went 3 at the back, they started to attack us down the flanks, especially on our right. Cuvelier gave absolutely no protection to Devlin and so we were totally exposed. Keates should have taken Flo off and put Morris on our right to stop Devlin being exposed. So, bad tactical awareness from our manager compounded a lack of quality from the players. Devlin is League 2 standard at best, Kory Roberts was useless when he came on. Flo is finished, he can’t run. I’m not sure what Bakayoko offers: for a big man, he hardly wins a header and he can’t hold the ball up. As for scoring a goal, he never looked like getting anywhere near. He needs to study Wimbledon’s number 33 - he was a nuisance all afternoon. As for Ozzie, he was totally ineffective, but then again: why should he care? Same as Ngoy, who must have been wearing Teflon boots as the ball kept bouncing off him. Special mention to Dobson: he was our best player by far. And also to Chambers: he never stopped trying - it’s a shame a few others didn’t follow his example.

Keates has really got his work cut out to keep us up, but does it really matter: we’ll struggle again next season with this squad. Of today’s squad, I’d only keep Liam Roberts, Fitzwater, Guthrie, Leahy, Chambers, Dobson, Morris, the rest I’d get rid of. Worrying times.

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:02 pm

Cowshed wrote:
chunkster wrote:
Cowshed wrote:

100% agree Scott

Emperors new clothes etc

If I have you should seriously take no notice

Ask anyone and they will tell you I could row with my own shadow

You can take the lad out of beechdale etc
:lol: fair play buddy :wink:

saddlertd
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:14 pm

scott_powell wrote:See Oztumer had another storming game

Lol

He was sh!te.

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:31 pm

Like it or not the board have given a boyhood hero a man's job with a fudge up meccano set and most of the pieces missing :|

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:25 am

saddlertd wrote:

Lol

He was sh!te.

Usually is but gets a free ride my many. Use his past performances as a get out of jail free card. It’s too frequent now. Can’t wait until he fudge off.

streetender

Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:31 am

Cowshed wrote:

100% agree Scott

Emperors new clothes etc

Agree , a mightily unimpressive start.

ShyTallKnight
Glitterati

Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:56 am

I don't think we played very well in the second half yesterday.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:48 am

Cannot believe people blame Keates or even Whitney.

You pay peanuts...

And why do we pay peanuts? It's got nothing to do with our managers.

See you at Scunthorpe.

Kevlar
UTS Veteran

Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:39 am

Guest wrote:Have we scored too early? (©JW17-18)

"Two none is a dangerous lead." Kenny Hibbit 1992.

coop63
Glitterati

Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:42 am

Wherever we end up and whichever league we are playing in next season, there is only one group of people ultimately responsible and that’s the board of WFC.

Thank you Mr Bonser and your band of merry men for demonstrating the following:

1. A total lack of leadership
2. A total lack of ambition
3. A complete lack of responsibility in respect of the team management - you inaction is the sole reason we are where we are
4. A complete lack of respect for your paying customers and the heritage and history of our towns club

Anyone who’s prepared to continue to support this board is sadly deluded and in doing so, it continues to allow these clowns to carry on...

I feel sorry for Dean Keates and I hope he (and we) get the luck we will need to stay up.

The players have proved they are not good enough for L1 so if we do stay up let’s hope Deano gets the support he will need to rebuild. If we go down, let’s hope he gets the support to rebuild - basically we need a total clear out either way IMO..

Larryhaggler1

Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:43 am

Totally agree coop

EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:17 pm

saddlertd wrote:Of today’s squad, I’d only keep Liam Roberts, Fitzwater, Guthrie, Leahy, Chambers, Dobson, Morris, the rest I’d get rid of. Worrying times.

Even that's generous. Leahy & Morris are awful. Guthrie might- might- be adequate in League Two.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:35 pm

EvenFlow wrote:
saddlertd wrote:Of today’s squad, I’d only keep Liam Roberts, Fitzwater, Guthrie, Leahy, Chambers, Dobson, Morris, the rest I’d get rid of. Worrying times.

Even that's generous. Leahy & Morris are awful. Guthrie might- might- be adequate in League Two.

Morris? He's non-league at best, at his age he should have improved with the amount of games he's played but he just gets worse and worse.

Chambers should go, he offers nothing now and I assume earns a decent wedge.

If we keep Leahy it cannot be as a LB, we either use him as a wingback or nothing at all.

Cuvelier should also be shown the door, offers practically nothing, long gone are the days he would drive through the midfield and score a 20 yarder.

As I said previously Oztumer should never wear the shirt again, those fancy flicks when we were under immense pressure was not what was needed.

Keates was furious with Ngoy and Baka for their inability to hold the ball up and be pushed off it so easily, those 3 strikers can do one.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:41 pm

I don't agree with EVENFLOW'S comment I think Guthrie has done well and Leahy would be fine in his natural position as a wing back. Guthrie has suffered because the two full backs are not great at defending and other than Wilson has had a succession of inexperienced partners. The interview in yesterday's programme with Leahy was very revealing.Amongst other things he was told he would he play as a wing back!!! Morris has gone back and next season will be a critical one for him if he is still here.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:30 pm

IHTC. wrote:
EvenFlow wrote:

Morris? He's non-league at best, at his age he should have improved with the amount of games he's played but he just gets worse and worse.

Chambers should go, he offers nothing now and I assume earns a decent wedge.

If we keep Leahy it cannot be as a LB, we either use him as a wingback or nothing at all.

Cuvelier should also be shown the door, offers practically nothing, long gone are the days he would drive through the midfield and score a 20 yarder.

As I said previously Oztumer should never wear the shirt again, those fancy flicks when we were under immense pressure was not what was needed.

Keates was furious with Ngoy and Baka for their inability to hold the ball up and be pushed off it so easily, those 3 strikers can do one.

Will start them next match still though as what are the alternatives? Shaibu looked even worse in his starts.

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:59 pm

But you were probably his biggest fan Scott, not lost your enthusiasm have you? You said you would give him a free ride this season and next. you also said:

- 'That's it for me, organisation. He clearly knows how to organise a team effectively'.
- 'He's exactly what we need for me'
- 'Exciting times. We potentially have a manager who knows how to organise a defense'
- 'Happy Dean Keates Day everyone'

That's just on one thread Scott and you were my biggest critic because I stood up for Whitney. Not lost your Hero worship for Keates yet have you. :lol:

What goes around comes around. :roll:

kshammer
Site Addict

Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:11 pm

Optimistic wrote:

But you were probably his biggest fan Scott, not lost your enthusiasm have you? You said you would give him a free ride this season and next. you also said:

- 'That's it for me, organisation. He clearly knows how to organise a team effectively'.
- 'Exciting times. We potentially have a manager who knows how to organise a defense'

That's just on one thread Scott and you were my biggest critic because I stood up for Whitney. Not lost your Hero worship for Keates yet have you. :lol:

Whitney leaving really upset you didn't it? Bet you've been saving that one up.

Don't confuse criticism of Keates with being wrong on the previous moron who was in charge.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:28 pm

Lol

Like we had a storming game in the week without him? Lolling at that sums you up as a fan, you’d rather be proved right (in your own mind) and watch us fail.

Talking about being proven right, I’m glad my predictions of our “loyal” fan base turning in Keates already are being proven right. Let him rebuild for next season indeed.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:35 pm

Larryhaggler1 wrote:Oi el nobead

I went today and at no pint did Keats get any grief.

He should thought, 2nd half was the worst I can remember witnessing in recent times.

The players didn't react, the manager didn't react and worse than anything we were just plainly out fought.

We had no fight whatsoever, weak, slow and going through the motions.

If Whitney was manager today there would have been a riot

I might be a nobhead but you’re proving my point

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:38 pm

scott_powell wrote:
saddlertd wrote:

Lol

He was sh!te.

Usually is but gets a free ride my many. Use his past performances as a get out of jail free card. It’s too frequent now. Can’t wait until he fudge off.

I bet he can’t wait either. Can’t say I blame him. Gratitude and loyalty

“Lol”

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:39 pm

Optimistic wrote:

Hahahahahahaha

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:26 pm

kshammer wrote:
Optimistic wrote:

Don't confuse criticism of Keates with being wrong on the previous moron who was in charge.

No not really, I thought it was a mistake though and as Scott is always having a go at me why not remind him of his own mixed up opinions.

I am definately not confused KS, but it's criticism of yet another manager now you mention morons. Your words not mine!

kshammer
Site Addict

Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:21 pm

Optimistic wrote:
kshammer wrote:
Optimistic wrote:

No not really, I thought it was a mistake though and as Scott is always having a go at me why not remind him of his own mixed up opinions.

I am definately not confused KS, but it's criticism of yet another manager now you mention morons. Your words not mine!

So is Keates immune from criticism? His tactics were woeful second half and so why not discuss it? Doesn't mean people have turned against him or want him out.

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:55 pm

kshammer wrote:
Optimistic wrote:
kshammer wrote:
Optimistic wrote:

So is Keates immune from criticism? His tactics were woeful second half and so why not discuss it? Doesn't mean people have turned against him or want him out.

You seem to be missing the point. Scott said that Keates would get a free ride this season and next so what did that mean. My post is not about Keates.

PreviousNext
Return to 2017-18 Season