Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bury (H) Apr 7th, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
chunkster
Site Addict

Re: Bury (H) Apr 7th, 3pm

Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:18 pm

El Nombre is an anthropomorphic Mexican gerbil character, originally from a series of educational sketches :mrgreen:

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:19 pm

Does he?? All his life, if you believe what "Ozzy" speaks of in the media, which I do because he seems like an honest bloke, he's wanted people in football to believe in his ability and give him a chance. Where else has this happened apart from Walsall FC?? We got him on a free transfer from Peterborough where he'd been hit and miss and played very much second fiddle to a few of their stars so he came here and became the main man, his dream realised courtesy of Walsall FC. Now obviously he will now do what all these people do and eff off somewhere else.....ditto Bradshaw injury plagued winger from league 2 Shropshite, soon to be league one bit-part for relegated Barnsley....Brandy????? Grigg, oh isn't he great scoring all those goals in league one for Wigan like he did for us, what an improvement in his career. Sawyers playing for the oh so mighty Brentford, just because our ex-manager's there, ditto million poundo crocko rico. And they're the success stories. Good luck to Ozzy, I hope he makes a few quid out of his obvious talent and I've enjoyed watching him play for us. The end. I hope one day we can have players that believe in Walsall FC, so we as fans of said club, can in turn believe in both, like things used to be, and should be.

UTS Legend

Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:23 pm

Lucky, lucky, lucky...

Highlights on Sky:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vDGXTb ... p=drivesdk

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:26 pm

Mazza01 wrote:
scott_powell wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:
scott_powell wrote:I’m well aware of the figures, thanks.

It’s just my opinion. He’s good. He wasn’t good today so il be critical. Thanks.

Your critical of good players when they put in the odd not so brilliant performance? Sums Ozzy up actually quite well.

Nice sass though.

Im critical of THAT performance.

fudge me I thought he was cack today and I said so. If I were to go to Oldham and he plays well I’ll be full of praise. He’s a good player, I’ve literally just said that. What the fudge are you even arguing. Just move on, just my opinion on today’s game. I don’t agree with your assessment of Leahy but that’s your opinion. I thought Baka was decent today and the majority think otherwise, cest la fudge vie :roll:

He's troll just ignore him .. basically just argues the opposite for the craic. He's clearly bored or not got a life .

Except I back up literally every opinion I have with fair basis, agree or not.

I’m the troll but I’ve never called anybody a nonse or flounced off the board I’m protest cos one person disagrees with me. Or I could go on and on and on.

I mean for somebody who has no life I contribute as much to this board as you do Mazza. Oops spose that completely fair point is just trolling though.

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:29 pm

Lucky goal Lucky win Who cares we got the points.

Roberts deserved MOM and that summed up game.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:29 pm

scott_powell wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:
scott_powell wrote:I’m well aware of the figures, thanks.

It’s just my opinion. He’s good. He wasn’t good today so il be critical. Thanks.

Your critical of good players when they put in the odd not so brilliant performance? Sums Ozzy up actually quite well.

Nice sass though.

Im critical of THAT performance.

fudge me I thought he was cack today and I said so. If I were to go to Oldham and he plays well I’ll be full of praise. He’s a good player, I’ve literally just said that. What the fudge are you even arguing. Just move on, just my opinion on today’s game. I don’t agree with your assessment of Leahy but that’s your opinion. I thought Baka was decent today and the majority think otherwise, cest la fudge vie :roll:

And I disagree and just said so, Just without the sass.

Shock horror that you disagree with the Leahy but your not the only one where he can do no right.

Remember when you weren’t going to respond to me anymore because I was just a prick. Lasted didn’t it.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:33 pm

:lol:

Back to the match ...

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:34 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:But what donyoubexo ctvwhen his reward for continuous poor performance s

Assuming from the rest of your post that your not on drugs...In which case can you let me know what beer you've been drinking so i can get some ordered in. :shock:

I’d already had a few at that point and couldn’t be arsed to go back and correct the mess the autocorrect had made.

It should have said “but what do you expect when his reward for continuous poor performances”

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:44 pm

scott_powell wrote::lol:

Back to the match ...

Is debating Leahy/ Ozzys and Bakas performance not talking about the match in the first place? :s

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:52 pm

SaddlerSteve wrote:
Geordiesaddler wrote:But what donyoubexo ctvwhen his reward for continuous poor performance s

Assuming from the rest of your post that your not on drugs...In which case can you let me know what beer you've been drinking so i can get some ordered in. :shock:

I’d already had a few at that point and couldn’t be arsed to go back and correct the mess the autocorrect had made.

It should have said “but what do you expect when his reward for continuous poor performances”

:lol: bloody hell i wish i could sober up that quick :lol: i would be asleep until at least sunday by now :wink:

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:54 pm

Today certainly gave us a clear indication of what Deano is trying to do. Get some proper wingers in and I think this system will work well even with the team we have now. Ismail would absolutely love playing in a Deano team.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:25 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:Does he?? All his life, if you believe what "Ozzy" speaks of in the media, which I do because he seems like an honest bloke, he's wanted people in football to believe in his ability and give him a chance. Where else has this happened apart from Walsall FC?? We got him on a free transfer from Peterborough where he'd been hit and miss and played very much second fiddle to a few of their stars so he came here and became the main man, his dream realised courtesy of Walsall FC. Now obviously he will now do what all these people do and eff off somewhere else.....ditto Bradshaw injury plagued winger from league 2 Shropshite, soon to be league one bit-part for relegated Barnsley....Brandy????? Grigg, oh isn't he great scoring all those goals in league one for Wigan like he did for us, what an improvement in his career. Sawyers playing for the oh so mighty Brentford, just because our ex-manager's there, ditto million poundo crocko rico. And they're the success stories. Good luck to Ozzy, I hope he makes a few quid out of his obvious talent and I've enjoyed watching him play for us. The end. I hope one day we can have players that believe in Walsall FC, so we as fans of said club, can in turn believe in both, like things used to be, and should be.

Ozzy enjoyed it enough last season.

Despite his recent dip he's still scored 30 odd goals over last two seasons and yet the club has come nowhere near a play off challenge in either side.

I have no idea whether he'd thrive in the championship (Etheridge and Jamie Paterson seem to be doing o.k).

Michal
UTS Regular

Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:16 pm

Ozzy was marked by one, sometimes two players. It's not surprising he couldn't do much. Rest of the team should help him, but no one was eager to do it. I'm afraid he has signed contract elsewhere, team knows about it, so more bleak games. At least in this game some players from opponent's team were thinking how to stop him, so it was good. But it won't work always. And Baka? How you can doubt, that Whitney's training haven't done the trick? But seriously, for me he needs proper training. What to do, what shouldn't do (aggressive tackles for example), how to play as a central striker. Where he should be on the pitch, where shouldn't. He is little raw, but still I think, with proper coaching, he can be a good striker. I know you don't like him, but on league one level he can be good option to have.

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:54 pm

Michal wrote:Ozzy was marked by one, sometimes two players. It's not surprising he couldn't do much. Rest of the team should help him, but no one was eager to do it. I'm afraid he has signed contract elsewhere, team knows about it, so more bleak games. At least in this game some players from opponent's team were thinking how to stop him, so it was good. But it won't work always. And Baka? How you can doubt, that Whitney's training haven't done the trick? But seriously, for me he needs proper training. What to do, what shouldn't do (aggressive tackles for example), how to play as a central striker. Where he should be on the pitch, where shouldn't. He is little raw, but still I think, with proper coaching, he can be a good striker. I know you don't like him, but on league one level he can be good option to have.
Well whoever ozzy plays for Michal he is going to be marked out of the game :|

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:15 pm

scott_powell wrote:Today certainly gave us a clear indication of what Deano is trying to do. Get some proper wingers in and I think this system will work well even with the team we have now. Ismail would absolutely love playing in a Deano team.

Interesting how different people can have different reactions to the same thing. I thought today was a clever way of getting round the fact that we don't have any wingers. A proper 4-3-3. Front three continually rotating. No wingers.

PT
Site Addict

Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:44 pm

Bristol Fan wrote:
scott_powell wrote:Today certainly gave us a clear indication of what Deano is trying to do. Get some proper wingers in and I think this system will work well even with the team we have now. Ismail would absolutely love playing in a Deano team.

Interesting how different people can have different reactions to the same thing. I thought today was a clever way of getting round the fact that we don't have any wingers. A proper 4-3-3. Front three continually rotating. No wingers.

Exactly as I saw it. Morris was stifled in a more conventional midfield role and at times they had acres out wide because we went narrow.

BUT we had the middle of the pitch (literally the middle bit) sewn up.

It was a risk given they have Hanson, but it just about worked.

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:17 pm

PT wrote:
Bristol Fan wrote:

Exactly as I saw it. Morris was stifled in a more conventional midfield role and at times they had acres out wide because we went narrow.

BUT we had the middle of the pitch (literally the middle bit) sewn up.

It was a risk given they have Hanson, but it just about worked.
After today we live to breath another day :wink:

Michal
UTS Regular

Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:31 pm

chunkster wrote:Well whoever ozzy plays for Michal he is going to be marked out of the game :|

If he leaves, not a problem. But for now, there is chance that win lift team spirit a bit. So more options in offensive play, more goals and more points. For me this game was the most important game for the next, maybe even 10 or 15 seasons. Why? Relegation would mean a lot of struggle to return to league one level. Another cup final, I remember how previous ones ended, so I'm happy it was one nil. To the right team.

UTS Legend

Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:46 am

Thompson lends a helping head

As seen on Channel 5:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/12Bu7_M ... p=drivesdk

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:59 am

Oh my! What an OG! What was he thinking???

:D :mrgreen:

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:02 am

Three points is three points. We needed those. Well done the lads on the clean sheet. If we’re crap at scoring, at least we can try to be better at the back!

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:03 am

PS - five pages on a vital home win on UTS? Some people only come on here to give Welsh their best wishes for a speedy recovery. :mrgreen:

Best wishes, Pete. :wink:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:31 am

Get well soon Peter!

chunkster
Site Addict

Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:53 am

If i didn't know any better i would say that bonser bunged him to do that :lol:

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:24 am

My god what a mess Whitney has left.

Pretty sure that’s the worst XI we’ve had in the last 25 years - in fact I challenge anyone to come up with a worse starting line up than that from that time period.

I know they’re low on confidence, but yesterday was good for seeing which players are worth keeping. Fitzwater and Roberts, that’s it. Everyone else, sorry, not good enough.

Some of the first touches displayed by Shaibu and particularly Bakayoko were horrendous and they should look at their future career options if they think they’re going to make a living from football. There were a few occasions where the ball was pass, nay, rolled to Bakayokos feet, yet he managed to lose it, incredible.

I know Leahy didn’t have much protection due to the fact that there was no winger in front of him, but that doesn’t excuse him not knowing where a left back should be at any given moment. What’s worrying is that he is one of the players regularly barking out orders and pointing at others. If he is regarded as a “senior” player, that illustrates how far we’ve sunk.

Was great to get the win - was always going to be a scrambled goal or off someone’s backside given how poor the two sides were.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:30 am

Bristol Fan wrote:

I agree, the Strikers were rotating. We don’t have wingers hence my comment on getting proper wingers. Almost every attack was from working it wide. The final ball was consistently lacking because it was usually a striker crossing. I don’t think our reactions are different at all.

PT
Site Addict

Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:56 pm

philthesaddler wrote:My god what a mess Whitney has left.

Pretty sure that’s the worst XI we’ve had in the last 25 years - in fact I challenge anyone to come up with a worse starting line up than that from that time period.

Good challenge. Given it a decent think and reckon you’re right. 25 years is the right cut off too as it takes out Hibbitt’s first two seasons which would have contained worse starting elevens.

That said, and this is quite telling, I think even some of those early Hibbitt teams would have had four or five players who might have got in yesterday’s team. Marsh for Leahy, Dean Smith for either CH, John Kelly for Flo, Stuart Rimmer for either forward and maybe even Adrian Littejohn for Morris or the other centre-forward.

Difficult comparing eras and teams but I’ve just named half an outfield team from a side that finished 16th in the fourth tier that you could make a case for being better than we’ve now got.

Hopefully we’ll stay up. But either way, Dean has a massive job on his hands. I would say bigger than the task the previous Dean to manage us had. Let’s give this one the time we gave the previous one.

chunkster
Site Addict

Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:44 pm

PT wrote:

Good challenge. Given it a decent think and reckon you’re right. 25 years is the right cut off too as it takes out Hibbitt’s first two seasons which would have contained worse starting elevens.

That said, and this is quite telling, I think even some of those early Hibbitt teams would have had four or five players who might have got in yesterday’s team. Marsh for Leahy, Dean Smith for either CH, John Kelly for Flo, Stuart Rimmer for either forward and maybe even Adrian Littejohn for Morris or the other centre-forward.

Difficult comparing eras and teams but I’ve just named half an outfield team from a side that finished 16th in the fourth tier that you could make a case for being better than we’ve now got.

Hopefully we’ll stay up. But either way, Dean has a massive job on his hands. I would say bigger than the task the previous Dean to manage us had. Let’s give this one the time we gave the previous one.
And the cycle begins again :lol: :wink:

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:25 pm

[quote="philthesaddler"]My god what a mess Whitney has left.

Have to agree, this IS one of the poorest squads in our modern history, in my opinion very few of this seasons more senior players will be retained by Keates in the close season. Even those on 2 year contracts etc will have them 'torn up', to be released to find employment elsewhere. Only Edwards, young Roberts in goal, and possibly Morris (given some tuition) deserve to be retained.
Even some of the younger up and coming 'possible' first teamers have failed to impress when given the chance to prove their abilities. Methinks there will be some shocks when the retained list is announced, I think he will completely refresh the squad with his own choices.

Great win yesterday though, it appears we were lucky to have got away with 3 points, but thanks Bury, that will do for us!
Just have to grab at least some extra points from our remaining games starting at Boundary Park on Wednesday...a draw would be welcome, as Oldham are no longer a patch on their earlier poor form....it will be very hard for us, they have in their midst some strange creatures...........................players that can actually score goals.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:11 pm

PT wrote:

Would go for the Hutchings era for worst Walsall team of that time span.

Jon Brain in goal.....

Ryan McGivern was regular left back.

Clayton McDonald and Manny Smith was CB combination. (Ollie Lanchashire the back up).

Aaron Lescott at RB.

Think the tipping point is that Matt Richards and Taundry started the season as the first choice midfield pair. :shock:

Only decent regulars in that 10/11 were Macken (at 35) and Julian Gray.

PreviousNext
Return to 2017-18 Season