Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bury (H) Apr 7th, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Bury (H) Apr 7th, 3pm

Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:43 am

Nil input from Welsh for a few weeks - I have Shingles, and it's painful to breathe. Feel free to be creative on my behalf.......

:evil:

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Re: Bury (H) Apr 7th, 3pm

Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:02 am

Welsh_Saddler wrote:Nil input from Welsh for a few weeks - I have Shingles, and it's painful to breathe. Feel free to be creative on my behalf.......

Sorry to hear that. Have had it myself. Hope you recover soon!

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:40 am

Welsh_Saddler wrote:Nil input from Welsh for a few weeks - I have Shingles, and it's painful to breathe. Feel free to be creative on my behalf.......

So sorry to hear that Welsh, as you know I've had my own problems of late, but it's a far better bet to have a heart attack, I feel great, lost a stone in weight, fit as footballer (not counting certain players) following rehab gym sessions, but they STILL won't let me do anything, or go to footy matches on my own...bugga!

I'll do the input........Walsall 0 Bury 1 the end.

chunkster
Site Addict

Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:07 am

I remember the pain my mom went through Welsh it was horrendous. It was painful for me and dad watching her struggle to bring the coal in :wink: get well soon mate and my prediction is a 1-0 because anything else but a win will almost certainly condem us to towards the dreaded drop :|

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:25 am

Massive game. I can't see us losing, they are done and given up, 6 games since their last win, lost the last 5. Lose this and we deserve to go down.

Saying that, I wouldn't be surprised at a draw, which is simply not enough. I wonder how long it will take for people to turn on Keates, I already see it happening.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:38 am

I see us winning 1-0 as well....after all it is time we scored a goal!!!

scott_powell
Site Addict

Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:31 am

Biggest game of the season. Must win. Simple as that.

As El_Nombre says, lose this and we deserve to go down. Problem is I really can see us losing/drawing.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:49 am

yep lose this and I think that's us down , problem is I also don't see us winning!

0-0

tinned
Site Addict

Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:06 pm

El_Nombre wrote:I wonder how long it will take for people to turn on Keates, I already see it happening.

What you foresee it happening in the near future or you are already seeing it happening now?

I've seen nothing of people blaming Keates. They're bloody thick if they have. The blame lies with Whitney for being a complete and utter useless numpty and Bonser for letting financial concerns cloud his judgement on when to fire Whitney.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:08 pm

tinned wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:I wonder how long it will take for people to turn on Keates, I already see it happening.

What you foresee it happening in the near future or you are already seeing it happening now?

I've seen nothing of people blaming Keates. They're bloody thick if they have. The blame lies with Whitney for being a complete and utter useless numpty and Bonser for letting financial concerns cloud his judgement on when to fire Whitney.

Both. A guy phoned up WM slating him after the Wigan match and he wasn't even in charge yet. Like it or not fans are that fickle.

It's already sneaking into a certain thread that he got team selection wrong and some people are worried about the slack he would be cut. Small things ... that will grow into big things if results don't pick up.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:38 pm

El_Nombre wrote:
tinned wrote:

Both. A guy phoned up WM slating him after the Wigan match and he wasn't even in charge yet. Like it or not fans are that fickle.

It's already sneaking into a certain thread that he got team selection wrong and some people are worried about the slack he would be cut. Small things ... that will grow into big things if results don't pick up.

For me he has a free pass, even next season.. there is a good few years of damage to be reversed.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:42 pm

Mazza01 wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:
tinned wrote:

For me he has a free pass, even next season.. there is a good few years of damage to be reversed.

I agree, I just guarantee that not all fans will be as level headed.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:52 pm

El_Nombre wrote:
Mazza01 wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:
tinned wrote:

I agree, I just guarantee that not all fans will be as level headed.

Agree with that too. He's got a massive job on his hands.

chunkster
Site Addict

Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:56 pm

El_Nombre wrote:
tinned wrote:

I think it is because fans are at the end of their tether. And we could have had bobby robson in charge with Brian Clough as second in command and the fans would still have had enough :|

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:08 pm

A dead cert win what can go wrong rock bottom , lost last 5 games , bogey team and the chance of facing Hanson who hardly fails to score against us.

Hoping for win with lucky deflection but fearing defeat which I think would doom us as this team of players would not be able to bounce back.

It is still in our own hands we have to play 4 teams who are at the moment below us ,get results here and we are safe but recent performances do not give much hope, just hope Dean can do something to build confidence.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:17 pm

2-1 win.

coop63
Glitterati

Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:40 pm

All the best for a speedy recovery Welsh

I dread us playing any of what I call the greater Manchester triangle clubs of Rochdale, Oldham and Bury - bloody bogeys every where......

I fear a draw which won’t be enough to ease the nerves that’s for sure... 1-1

The boards inability to act earlier could cost us our L1 status and knowing how they are the Teflon boys, they’ll avoid the flack purely because JW was so obviously out of his depth and it’ll be his choices that they will ensure define our season..

UTS

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:55 am

[quote="Walsallone"]I see us winning 1-0 as well....after all it is time we scored a goal!!![/quote]

More likely we will hear the regularly sung chant of "Walsall's had a shot, we've had a shot!"

scott_powell
Site Addict

Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:36 am

Woke up with the horrible feeling that we're going to lose tomorrow :( Shitting it for tomorrow.

Wyrley Saddler 66
UTS Regular

Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:44 am

I cant remember us ever beating a team at the bottom.

Rochdale beat us easily, Yeovil did the same last year

I am predicting 0-2.

hoping for 3-0

our record against Bury id in their favour

I'm not looking forward to it, squeaky bum time?

chunkster
Site Addict

Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:21 pm

Wyrley Saddler 66 wrote:I cant remember us ever beating a team at the bottom.

I am predicting 0-2.

hoping for 3-0

Different factor now though, if whitless had have still been in charge then yes I think we would have lost, but Deano has had some time to work with the players now, and maybe he has instilled a different mind set :wink:

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:07 pm

In one universe, after Ismail scores twice, we go down to defeat 0-2 and there is much wailing and gnashing of teeth on here come five o'clock tomorrow ... whereas in a parallel universe we wallop them 4 - 0 and it's all sunshine and light. I'm just not sure which universe this version of UTS is in.

simonUTS
UTS Regular

Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:20 pm

Not quite to the standard of Welsh's previews, but we do have one up on the news pages:

www.upthesaddlers.news/articles/match-preview-bury-h

The Red Prince
Site Addict

Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:36 pm

Last win at home against Bury?

28/09/1996!!!

16 games since then, 2 wins, 4 draws, 10 defeats!!!

Watch them put 4 past us.

saddla
Site Addict

Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:49 pm

I don't know why people are worried about Hanson. He has started 6 games for them since joining in January, with another 8 played from the bench. He's played for a total of 692 minutes having a total of 15 shots with 8 of them on target and 0 (that's none) goals scored. :D

That's him up for a hat-trick then. :(

SWS11
UTS Regular

Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:18 pm

Really sorry to hear that, Peter. Here's wishing you a speedy recovery.
I was dead lucky: had shingles five or six years ago. Small rash on neck, minor irritation, hardly noticed but Val ushered me to the doctor's anyway. The Doc said "Hmm. You've got away with it. You've had a small dose of shingles; some people find themselves in hospital with that".
Since then, I've had the free vaccination offered in Wales to the over-95s or something.
So, lucky!

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:31 pm

Wyrley Saddler 66 wrote:I cant remember us ever beating a team at the bottom.

I am predicting 0-2.

hoping for 3-0

Beat Chesterfield at home last season who finished bottom.

BarnsleySaddler
Glitterati

Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:14 pm

Speedy recovery Welsh.

Stats are just that stats. It`s the mindset that gets teams beat. These are different players so hopefully Keates has had a bit more time to get them thinking positively. Think we can win but need to come out with a different spirit to achieve it.

Mike Vale
UTS Regular

Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:41 pm

3 - 0. Just consumed a whole bottle of a very nice red so judgement might be skewed towards optimism. Get well soon Welsh.

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:52 pm

We’ve lost the last 4 scoring no goals they have lost the last 5 scoring 2 goals

Both teams to try their hardest to maintain the run of defeats

First goal the winner in el classico

Next
Return to 2017-18 Season