Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bradford City (A) Tue May 1st, 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Re: Bradford City (A) Tue May 1st, 7.45pm

Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:33 pm

I do go to as many games as I can, honestly, and yes, health matters do curb that ability somewhat.
I AM going to both Bradford & Fleetwood, are you? Probably not, not because you won't make the effort, you probably can't, just like being older and infuriatingly, somewhat infirm, does for me.
I 'm hoping that my wearying journey down to Cornwall for the day is lightened by at least a point gained at Bradford the night before.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:46 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:I do go to as many games as I can, honestly, and yes, health matters do curb that ability somewhat.
I AM going to both Bradford & Fleetwood, are you? Probably not, not because you won't make the effort, you probably can't, just like being older and infuriatingly, somewhat infirm, does for me.
I 'm hoping that my wearying journey down to Cornwall for the day is lightened by at least a point gained at Bradford the night before.

I've no problem with anybody who can't attend a game for whatever reason.

I've every problem with somebody who barely ever goes, reads the stats on a website without going and makes the situation out to be way worse than it actually is. You predicted bottom of the table at the start of the season, chances are we won't even slip into the relegation zone apart from the first few weeks. You predict utter calamity long term with relegation to the national league with next to no financial or reasoned evidence of this. And then you write it off as being "light hearted".

I won't be there for either game, I'll be watching on IFollow though instead of giving my opinion blindly.

Not a bad attendance rate though this year. Virtually every home game and away games nowhere near my doorstep at Portsmouth, Charlton, Bristol Rovers, Rotherham as well as the few that were a little closer. I wonder if you can claim that before your illness? Don't try and play the "will you be there?" card with me.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:59 pm

El_Nombre wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:I do go to as many games as I can, honestly, and yes, health matters do curb that ability somewhat.

I've every problem with somebody who barely ever goes, reads the stats on a website without going and makes the situation out to be way worse than it actually is. You predicted bottom of the table at the start of the season, chances are we won't even slip into the relegation zone apart from the first few weeks. You predict utter calamity long term with relegation to the national league with next to no financial or reasoned evidence of this. And then you write it off as being "light hearted".

I won't be there for either game, I'll be watching on IFollow though instead of giving my opinion blindly.

Not a bad attendance rate though this year. Virtually every home game and away games nowhere near my doorstep at Portsmouth, Charlton, Bristol Rovers, Rotherham as well as the few that were a little closer. I wonder if you can claim that before your illness? Don't try and play the "will you be there?" card with me.

Off topic, but can you watch live games on ifollow? I thought that was just commentary with extended highlights afterwards?

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:01 pm

scott_powell wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:

Off topic, but can you watch live games on ifollow? I thought that was just commentary with extended highlights afterwards?

If you do naughty things with your location settings you can. I watched Oldham away that way. Fiver a game.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:05 pm

El_Nombre wrote:
scott_powell wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:

If you do naughty things with your location settings you can. I watched Oldham away that way. Fiver a game.

Yeah I used to do that all the time to get American Netflix. Shall have a tamper tonight. Tar

chunkster
Site Addict

Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:02 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
chunkster wrote:
Whitters wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:
wednesburysaddler wrote:weve got to play the most uninspiring attack ever to gain this point so baka up front with shalibu then!!

Nah just go for Baka, it's a bit like not having anyone up front anyway, put the other 9 on the goal line and start to build a breezeblock wall between the sticks!
20,000 there on Saturday to see a defeat, should be a few thou down on that figure then, for a cold, wet, miserable, nothing left to play for Tuesday evening stint, our lot will still get beat, fighting a bit, but still get beat.
Can't see so many making the trip, but I'll be there, then try to find an alternative way across the Pennines as they always close the M62 after 10! (will be like that until Summer 2019 apparently!).
Heart hoping for 0-0 draw for that vital point, head says 0-3 defeat, no matter how bad Bradford are at the moment, our defence is even 'badder', and our attack just a figment of vivid imagination. :wink:

Fudge me.
Do you go to funerals to get your fun?
AM stands for AVID MORTICIAN not ANCIENT MOANER :lol: :mrgreen: I would go there and park the proverbial bus, the fact that Bradford have nothing but the pride of winning to play for, makes them even more dangerous, because they can play with freedom. A 0-0 with bradford having 20 shots on target to our 1 and a backs to the wall performance :wink:

Hope your right Chunkster my friend, perhaps they might allow us to play all of our subs as well to 'pack the defence'! :lol: Any chance you might be there? The wife will be with me, she would be pleased to meet ya!
Hi mate :wink: unfortunately no i won't be making the trip :| but don't worry i am sure to meet the lovely mrs AM sometime in the future :wink:

chunkster
Site Addict

Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:09 pm

El_Nombre wrote:
scott_powell wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:

I have tried to do it with ipvanish but to no avail? it just won't give me the option to pay the £5 for the game, or tells me that that particular match can't be viewed in that country?

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:23 pm

chunkster wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:
scott_powell wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:

I have tried to do it with ipvanish but to no avail? it just won't give me the option to pay the £5 for the game, or tells me that that particular match can't be viewed in that country?

I used Hola for the Oldham game which is a free google chrome add in but IPVanish is pretty reputable as well so that’s weird.

Others have said that it’s quite temperamental, so it could have been that.

chunkster
Site Addict

Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:25 pm

Ok thank's i will try again tomorrow :)

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:45 pm

Shame about that Chunkster my friend, next season perhaps? May be Accy Stanley? Mind you if both of us, our wives, and PT turn up, the ground would be full! :lol: :lol: No Bury this time round, but probably Bolton, if all my Bolton supporting friends would have me believe!

I'll give 'em a shout tomorrow for ya!

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:29 pm

I know it's only one point but I still feel nervous. Should we just play for a draw? I would hate us to come unstuck to a late sucker punch. I'll go for a 1 nil win with Baka to bundle the ball in, in an almighty goal mouth scramble. If Baka does score I will look out for the one fan celebrating who looks downright miserable at the same time!

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:49 pm

hullsaddler wrote:I know it's only one point but I still feel nervous. Should we just play for a draw? I would hate us to come unstuck to a late sucker punch. I'll go for a 1 nil win with Baka to bundle the ball in, in an almighty goal mouth scramble. If Baka does score I will look out for the one fan celebrating who looks downright miserable at the same time!

Think it will be same tactics as Scunny, let's hope an opposition player isn't just left in the middle of the penalty area again unmarked.

Don't think Keates can really do much else given the lack of quality in the final third currently (apart from the quality goal of course).

Think Bradford have a few players injured and nothing to play for now.

1-1.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:59 pm

hullsaddler wrote:I know it's only one point but I still feel nervous. Should we just play for a draw? I would hate us to come unstuck to a late sucker punch. I'll go for a 1 nil win with Baka to bundle the ball in, in an almighty goal mouth scramble. If Baka does score I will look out for the one fan celebrating who looks downright miserable at the same time!

You never know it might happen! Hope he does...............Anybody that scores for Walsall is OK with me, just never seems to be Baka somehow.......and if it's me your thinking of, you'll miss me cus I just ain't miserable at all, it's just a persona on UTS. Introduce yourself, I'll be with the wife tomorrow, so pretty easy to spot in a sea of blokes...we always seem to be at the same matches, so have probably stood beside each other on many occasions!

Will you be at Fleetwood? Mind you if we are in the standing terrace it could be a bit full, all sold out apparently.

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:29 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:Mind you if both of us, our wives, and PT turn up, the ground would be full! :lol: :lol:

How many wives have you got? :shock:

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:14 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:

You never know it might happen! Hope he does...............Anybody that scores for Walsall is OK with me, just never seems to be Baka somehow.......and if it's me your thinking of, you'll miss me cus I just ain't miserable at all, it's just a persona on UTS. Introduce yourself, I'll be with the wife tomorrow, so pretty easy to spot in a sea of blokes...we always seem to be at the same matches, so have probably stood beside each other on many occasions!

Will you be at Fleetwood? Mind you if we are in the standing terrace it could be a bit full, all sold out apparently.

Will look out!
I have ticket for Fleetwood,in the seats, but will only go if our fate is still undecided as I am also meant to be going to a family celebration that evening!

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Tue May 01, 2018 12:25 am

Ancient Moaner wrote:
Do you not realise that my posts are in jest most of the time (above occasion notwithstanding)? Trying to lighten matters in the knowledge that we have an awful team? Jesus, you and Saigon take matters soooo seriously, it's all about light hearted banter, those that know me also know that there are few as dedicated to the Saddlers than myself. This season has been a nightmare, I have hated the fact that we have stared relegation in the face, but might, just might escape that humiliation after Saturday's daylight robbery. I hope we do beat Bradford & Fleetwood, no one would rejoice like I would, but I am also a realist! :(

Bantz gambit played, after seven or eight seasons of persistent trolling then?

Genuine question.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Tue May 01, 2018 12:37 am

After the lengths I've gone to in finding the perfect midweek city break, the first git off here that ruins the romantic ambiance by mistaking me for Ancient Moaner, can buy my wife a birthday pint.

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Tue May 01, 2018 6:01 am

Geordiesaddler wrote:After the lengths I've gone to in finding the perfect midweek city break, the first git off here that ruins the romantic ambiance by mistaking me for Ancient Moaner, can buy my wife a birthday pint.

:D

It really should include other way around too. Anybody from UTS should be able to go up to AM and declare "You are the Ancient Moaner and I claim my free pint!"

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Tue May 01, 2018 8:20 am

I think (fingers crossed) that this has 0-0 all over it.

Unfortunately stuck in a meeting down south so geography doesn't allow me to attend. However I will be at Fleetwood :D

UTS

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Tue May 01, 2018 10:20 am

I think we will get at least a point although Bradford isn't a place where we do well..UTS

Gripper
Glitterati

Tue May 01, 2018 10:58 am

We should’ve played for a draw at Bradford 2 years ago and never managed to....

Would love a draw. Fingers crossed.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Tue May 01, 2018 11:07 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:
Do you not realise that my posts are in jest most of the time (above occasion notwithstanding)? Trying to lighten matters in the knowledge that we have an awful team? Jesus, you and Saigon take matters soooo seriously, it's all about light hearted banter, those that know me also know that there are few as dedicated to the Saddlers than myself. This season has been a nightmare, I have hated the fact that we have stared relegation in the face, but might, just might escape that humiliation after Saturday's daylight robbery. I hope we do beat Bradford & Fleetwood, no one would rejoice like I would, but I am also a realist! :(

Genuine question.

Please explain, what the figgin hell is Bantz gambit? And what is 'trolling'? I obviously have a 'persistent' new untold wealth of abilities! :? All I have ever done is make comments or express opinions.
I think I'm too old for all this modern idiom of social media. If I knew what the 'question' was??
I'm off to Bradford.......................
Up The Saddlers................You'll never stop me from continuing to support MY club.

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Tue May 01, 2018 11:22 am

Ancient Moaner wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:

Genuine question.

Please explain, what the figgin hell is Bantz gambit? And what is 'trolling'? I obviously have a 'persistent' new untold wealth of abilities! :? All I have ever done is make comments or express opinions.
I think I'm too old for all this modern idiom of social media. If I knew what the 'question' was??
Up The Saddlers................You'll never stop me from continuing to support MY club.

Your not down with the kids AM. I will be honest AM, even I don't know what he is wittering on about there.
Definition of a "troll"...............

verb
carefully and systematically search an area for something.
"a group of companies trolling for partnership opportunities"
fish by trailing a baited line along behind a boat.
gerund or present participle: trolling
"we trolled for mackerel"

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Tue May 01, 2018 1:15 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:

Genuine question.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

'Kin hell (work that one out?) Who the hell is attempting to prevent you from supporting the club? :?:

In plain English - you repetitively predicting that 'this' event (insert next game) is finally the end of Walsall's tenure in League One / the football league / existence, has actually all been a crock of carefully cultivated banter, all light-hearted fun (for you).

To 'troll' is to deliberately mislead or agitate people for personal enjoyment. It appears Swamping has somehow described 'trawl' by accident. :oops: :? :D

So you're either the world's most miserable fan, spewing out a constant stream of negativity, or you are simply pandering to your own desire to amuse yourself by spouting constant negativity that you don't think will actually occur.

Just wondering which. You are entitled to be either, or perhaps both. I was simply trying to find out more.

layzeedude
UTS Regular

Tue May 01, 2018 1:20 pm

As a mid-thirties user of such things as Twitter I'd not go as far as to say I'm in touch (more, just about in sight) with these modern turns of phrase, such as "bantz gambit", but I'll take a crack at it.

I'm guessing the Bantz (or banter) Gambit (TM) is used by insufferable internet idiots who continually wind up others and who, when met with anger and criticism, use the defence that it's all just a laugh and those offended such lighten up, often punctuating such responses with "snowflake".

I think most here can see that, while AM plays the Victor Meldrew rather well, he's a loyal fan and just likes to blow off some steam with some like-minded individuals.

Now, let's all have a big cuddle and get back to some good-natured Bantz.

LD

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Tue May 01, 2018 1:31 pm

layzeedude wrote:As a mid-thirties user of such things as Twitter I'd not go as far as to say I'm in touch (more, just about in sight) with these modern turns of phrase, such as "bantz gambit", but I'll take a crack at it.

I'm guessing the Bantz (or banter) Gambit (TM) is used by insufferable internet idiots who continually wind up others and who, when met with anger and criticism, use the defence that it's all just a laugh and those offended such lighten up, often punctuating such responses with "snowflake".

I think most here can see that, while AM plays the Victor Meldrew rather well, he's a loyal fan and just likes to blow off some steam with some like-minded individuals.

Now, let's all have a big cuddle and get back to some good-natured Bantz.

LD

:lol: :lol: :lol:

This is where I unload my mega-bantz play and claim it was all a WHOOSH and post a fishing gif.

BarnsleySaddler
Glitterati

Tue May 01, 2018 2:17 pm

Against the doomsayers I believe that we can get the point needed (maybe even 3 but that might be a step to far). The team under Keates are playing better as a team, the sum total being greater than the individual parts. There may well be a couple of posts involved and that we never do well at Bradford being to the fore but it is down to the determination of the players to dig deep and keep playing to the final whistle. UTS

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Tue May 01, 2018 6:41 pm

Ooooh looks like they’ve worked out people use VPN for iFollow. Struggling to even log in.

giglee

Tue May 01, 2018 6:48 pm

ahem... back to the actual football.

Line-up:
Roberts
Roberts
Fitzwater
Guthrie
Leahy
Devlin
Chambers