Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Wigan Athletic (H) Wed 21st Mar, 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Re: Wigan Athletic (H) Wed 21st Mar, 7.45pm

Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:54 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:No changes to start the 2nd half.......

yes, yes, but have Wigan scored again yet? Perhaps things might look brighter for them if they bring Griggsy on..............

Perhaps we could do a Bradford again, remember, they were 3-0 up earlier in the season...... :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Ancient Moaner on Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kevlar
UTS Veteran

Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:55 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
We ARE in trouble, no doubt about in now.

Don't worry Ancient.

We'm currently tenth favourite for the drop at 3 to1

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:12 pm

Walsall substitution, 68 minutes ......... Cuvelier on for Dobson

Wigan substitution - Vaughan off, replaced by some bloke called Grigg....... :?

Attendance 4,477

BarnsleySaddler
Glitterati

Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:21 pm

Attendance: 4,477 (556 Wigan fans)

Morris man of the match.

A minor detail ........... some players must think they're already on the marina!!

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:35 pm

BarnsleySaddler wrote:Attendance: 4,477 (556 Wigan fans)

Morris man of the match.

Less than 4K home fans for the debut of a new Manager, and a team heading for the Championship, it's a disgrace, like the teams performance.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:37 pm

Yeah we lost, but did he wave properly?

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:38 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:

Morris man of the match.

Less than 4K home fans for the debut of a new Manager, and a team heading for the Championship, it's a disgrace, like the teams performance.

Where were you sat?

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:38 pm

(According to the BBC) - We had 6 shots, with 2 of those being on target. Wigan had 8, with 3 on target (and all scoring)

We evidently are not able to locate the ruminant's derriere with a small stringed instrument. :evil:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:40 pm

El_Nombre wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:

Morris man of the match.

Where were you sat?

I think AM's state of health prevented his attendance....... as previously posted.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:42 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:

Morris man of the match.

Where were you sat?

I think AM's state of health prevented his attendance....... as previously posted.

Who mentioned his health? He’s moaning at other people not going

Besides where was he sat all the other years he’s been sat on here moaning?

BarnsleySaddler
Glitterati

Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:44 pm

Sounds like a better second half but no finishing product. Keates has his work cut out with what he has to work with.

UTS Legend

Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:47 pm

The most enjoyable part of the commentary:
"And Grigg will come on to a warm welcome from the home fans". Then you heard the boos...

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:48 pm

Whhhhhey WM they’re already slagging Keates off hahahahah

And we expect Ozzy to be loyal

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:50 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:

Morris man of the match.

Not sure how many you expected, AM. I thought about 4,500 would be reasonable, given it was midweek and something of a mismatch to start with, at least until our new manager is properly in charge.

The team, though, is rubbish, irrespective of the quality of the opposition tonight.

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:03 pm

well just got back from match.
cant put into words how disappointed I was with the attitude of the squad
poor from the goalie to the striker and I know we are playing a top team but was absolutely no quality or passion from us.

I was also disappointed that the manager didn't actually pick the team and manage the team.
weve only got a few games left and to not have any impact on match 1 is disgusting in my opinion.

leaving it to sharps was a poor decision and that showed with only bringing on 1 sub when were 3 0 down at home.

felt really flat and I think deano got a massive job on his hands to get the 3 wins we need with this awful squad that hes inherited.

anyway onwards and upwards

chunkster
Site Addict

Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:12 pm

Not to despondent with the result tbh, Wigan should have beaten Southampton over the weekend by all accounts, deano will have a good idea of where he is going with the squad now, i just hope he will be doing it in league one and not league two :| mind you i would much rather watch a proper promotion push season in league two than a mediocre on in league one :D. As for the crowd numbers, people are still pissed off about the running of the club, you could have had Alex ferguson in charge tonight and it would have been the same, signing a boyhood hero is a step in the right direction, but things still need to change :wink:

chunkster
Site Addict

Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:13 pm

wednesburysaddler wrote:well just got back from match.
poor from the goalie to the striker and I know we are playing a top team but was absolutely no quality or passion from us.

I was also disappointed that the manager didn't actually pick the team and manage the team.
weve only got a few games left and to not have any impact on match 1 is disgusting in my opinion.

leaving it to sharps was a poor decision and that showed with only bringing on 1 sub when were 3 0 down at home.

felt really flat and I think deano got a massive job on his hands to get the 3 wins we need with this awful squad that hes inherited.

I think that maybe Deano wanted to put to bed the thought of sharps having anything to do with the first team, and by putting him in charge tonight he gave him enough rope :wink:

Gripper
Glitterati

Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:17 pm

Last week he was the messiah, this week we get stuffed and is all Whitney’s fault. Move on.

He’s got a fudge hard task and I don’t envy him. Gotta try and win one of Bradford or Pompey.

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:20 pm

yes I agree he has the rope I know exactly what hes done.
its just we only got a few games left and maybe I was silly enough to think that a manager who agreed to take job Friday would manage an important home match 5 days later.

I would like to see sharps sacked tomorrow.
I watched him for 15 mins in the warm up and he had his hands in his pockets for the duration.

i cant even see what his role is at the club a waste of a wage we could use bringing in lalkovic for 8 games if you as me.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:25 pm

Not too despondent about that.

First 30 mins and the team played quite well - Wigan were dangerous with everything, literally every time they attacked. Every corner or free-kick. Very good team.

First goal was swept across the face of the goal and a man at the back slotted home from a narrow angle. 2nd goal came quickly after that, bit of tennis and their bloke hit a straight low shot through players. Poor defending I thought.

Third goal was a pure goalkeeping error. Spilled it and blocked on the line but someone else on hand to turn it in.

We slithered to half-time.

Second we came out and had a couple of chances and played much better. They were 3-0 up of course, so coasting, but we were able to string some decent passes, link up quite well and played down the wings. A bit more luck and we'd have scored. Not sure they had any clear chances second half.

Overall, our defence is very weak, some players are out of their depth or knackered. Leahy is not a defender.

If Deano can get a system in place, do the simple stuff and play to our strengths, then we'll be ok.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:26 pm

Men against boys I regret to say although I expected that it would be like that. At least now Dean has 10 days to sort out a team for the next two matches and I don't envy him. Anybody know a fit, out of contract ,gnarled CH who could do a job until the end of the season? we could also do with a similar player up front.Tonight must have proved to everyone how unbalanced this squad is and how difficult it will be to get the required points to stay up.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:27 pm

El_Nombre wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:

Morris man of the match.

Where were you sat?

LOL. Not sure it's worth engaging with AM when he's in one of his moods. :wink:

Disgrace though. :roll: :roll: :roll:

chunkster
Site Addict

Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:29 pm

wednesburysaddler wrote:yes I agree he has the rope I know exactly what hes done.
its just we only got a few games left and maybe I was silly enough to think that a manager who agreed to take job Friday would manage an important home match 5 days later.

I would like to see sharps sacked tomorrow.
I watched him for 15 mins in the warm up and he had his hands in his pockets for the duration.

i cant even see what his role is at the club a waste of a wage we could use bringing in lalkovic for 8 games if you as me.

I know what you are saying, but if deano had have taken charge tonight i still think the result would have been the same, he has seen the squad and knows what they are capable of, so i suppose in his eyes by distancing himself from tonights game by sitting in the directors box, he hasn't lost his first game in charge has he :wink: and maybe he is confident of getting the results we need from the remaining games? :wink:

SWS11
UTS Regular

Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:31 pm

wednesburysaddler wrote:well just got back from match.

I understand and share your disappointment, Wednesbury, but it's almost universal for incoming managers to leave team selection for the first match to the incumbents. Inter alia, a couple of training sessions won't give the necessary insight into the squad that a competitive game will; indeed, a new manager might take weeks to really get to know a new squad. Let's hope Deano is a) not too horrified by what he's seen and b) a quick learner!
Onwards and upwards (because the alternative is too scary by half :shock: )
Oh, and as an aside, the competition tonight have turned over several higher-division teams lately, including some Premiershi- teams, so....
I didn't see tonight's game but I went to Shrewsbury and if they are top-of-the-league material, well, the difference between top and "near" the bottom ain't that much. A bit like tonight's game, if even one of our efforts had gone in at Shrews, the whole outcome might have been different. These things happen - we turned over Sarfend 3 - 0 in what by all accounts was a fairly even game. I'm confident we will stay up but not confident about the margin :?
Last edited by SWS11 on Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chunkster
Site Addict

Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:33 pm

Walsallone wrote:Men against boys I regret to say although I expected that it would be like that. At least now Dean has 10 days to sort out a team for the next two matches and I don't envy him. Anybody know a fit, out of contract ,gnarled CH who could do a job until the end of the season? we could also do with a similar player up front.Tonight must have proved to everyone how unbalanced this squad is and how difficult it will be to get the required points to stay up.
Don't get mentioning seasoned pro's and journeymen :o i think i got lambasted on here for suggesting something like that a few weeks ago :roll:

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:36 pm

chunkster

i didn't expect to win tonight id written match off so wether been 1-0 or 10-0 still get zero points.

if by sitting in the stands/ directors box was intentional to hang sharps then the latter must be sacked tomorrow.

no point proving a point if you don't follow through with any decisions.

as for the team this is most unbalanced poorest side ive seen for many a year.

we are bang in a relegation battle and anybody who thinks we aren't needs to look at last 3 results

3-0 2-0 3-0

not the time for the team to start going awol.

id rather bring Jackson back from Grimsby than play baka any more totally talentless no skill no pace no eye for goal.
as for the back 4 well i cant begin to describe how bad leahey is. one of the worst defenders since taundry.
if the budget was smashed on him the its a disgrace. would struggle to get in conference side

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:39 pm

Anyone who went to Shrewsbury and witnessed the utter non-effort there, would take quite a few positives from the way we tackled the second half of this game.

chunkster
Site Addict

Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:43 pm

wednesburysaddler wrote:chunkster

i didn't expect to win tonight id written match off so wether been 1-0 or 10-0 still get zero points.

if by sitting in the stands/ directors box was intentional to hang sharps then the latter must be sacked tomorrow.

no point proving a point if you don't follow through with any decisions.

as for the team this is most unbalanced poorest side ive seen for many a year.

we are bang in a relegation battle and anybody who thinks we aren't needs to look at last 3 results

3-0 2-0 3-0

not the time for the team to start going awol.

id rather bring Jackson back from Grimsby than play baka any more totally talentless no skill no pace no eye for goal.
as for the back 4 well i cant begin to describe how bad leahey is. one of the worst defenders since taundry.
if the budget was smashed on him the its a disgrace. would struggle to get in conference side
Totally agree about the squad being poor, but it was whitneys squad, and in being a poor defender leahey has got more goal assists than anyone else in the team, but that just suggests to me that maybe he could be better employed as an attacking midfielder? backa was showing signs of promise in the last few weeks, but if he wanted to impress deano tonight i think he has signed his own p45 :|

Brandon Flowers
UTS Regular

Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:48 pm

Both of our full backs get done time and again by a simple ball in behind them and then we concede from a simple cross across the face of goal. They have to be replaced.
I do like Fizzywater, I’d sign him and I reckon he’s Deans type of defender.

Whereas bakayoko’ s knack of ‘just not getting to the ball’ leaves questions on his bravery, not sure how he lasted 90 minutes tonight.

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:51 pm

Luckily for us Wigan reserves took their foot off the pedal second half

That and the new manager bounce saved us from a thumping

There you go defensive dean do your thing

PreviousNext
Return to 2017-18 Season