Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Wigan Athletic (H) Wed 21st Mar, 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
tinned
Site Addict

Re: Wigan Athletic (H) Wed 21st Mar, 7.45pm

Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:53 pm

Do ya reckon Deano is viewing tomorrow's train timetables to Wrexham?

Sack Sharps first thing.

Baka is NOT a footballer. The truth might be unpleasant but it's still the truth.

Leahey, see above.

Deano, you now know the extent of the brown stuff Whitless has left you in. Best of luck, you need it!

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:04 pm

El_Nombre wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:
BarnsleySaddler wrote:Attendance: 4,477 (556 Wigan fans)

Morris man of the match.

Less than 4K home fans for the debut of a new Manager, and a team heading for the Championship, it's a disgrace, like the teams performance.

Where were you sat?

I think AM's state of health prevented his attendance....... as previously posted.

Who mentioned his health? He’s moaning at other people not going

Besides where was he sat all the other years he’s been sat on here moaning?

When YOU have watched as many Walsall games as I have in my lifetime you can slag me off all you like, in the meantime
crawl back into your cave and carp at the wall, you will probably love the sound of your own voice bouncing back at you cus you will be the only one listening! Your popularity on UTS speaks it's own volumes.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:12 pm

Make no mistake this is a situation of the boards making

For all Dan Mole’s parroting on Twitter - “we listened”, they’re the ones to blame for getting us in to this mess.

It was obvious in September that Shitney hadn’t built a decent squad and couldn’t manage a team, then it was even more evident in October, then we got kicked out of the cup in november by a bunch of league 2 sloggers, and still they stayed silent, ignoring calls for his sacking.

Now, with a difficult run in and more games played than our fellow relegation candidates, we are in a right muddle.

Screw the meet the manager - how about a meet the fecking board - let’s discuss their mismanagement of the club, and how in 2 years they’ve managed to take us from missing out on promotion by a point, to being in the heart of a relegation battle with the dregs of league 1.

fudge off Dan Mole
fudge off Steff Gamble
fudge off Jeff Bonser

Go fudge yourselves

UTS Legend

Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:31 pm

coop63
Glitterati

Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:39 pm

IMO Deano has played this one quite correctly

Of course we’d have all loved a great win to set things off in grand style but frankly, against one of the best teams in the division and our current squad, a decent result was unlikely.

So, what he’s done is allow Sharpes team to take it on and evaluate the situation with no real impact on his first week in charge ....

What’s he learned? Again, IMO, a few things:

1. This squad isn’t sufficiently well equipped to deal with an overtly attacking opposition (admittedly, Wigan are a very good side at this level...)

2. This squads attitude isn’t really adjusted to a regime of expectation based on commitment - what this translates too is that they were getting away with murder with JW and he couldn’t/wouldn’t deal with it.

3. Sharpes has revealed his capacity of understanding at this level and I feel it’s only a matter of time before Deano will make the changes he feels are necessary to move things on (hopefully..)

I know others will disagree and to be fair (as posted elsewhere) I wasn’t there tonight but from what I’ve read and heard, I feel my assessment is my best guess of the situation...

UTS

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:08 am

It was the same team and formation as Whitney would have played, and sadly the same "style" too. We're playing 4-2-3-1 to accommodate Oztumer even though we don't have the personnel to play that way. It was a terrible performance, but Wigan are excellent so it was a free hit in a way.

I hope he finds a way of getting Flo back into the starting lineup. Chambers is still important (I suspect our defensive frailties would be even more exposed without him in the team) and Dobson is a real trier, but Cuvelier is the only midfielder we have who is really composed on the ball (except Oztumer of course). Everyone else (not just in midfield) panics in possession. Now Whitney's gone we've got to come up with a way of attacking teams other than "hope Oztumer does something" and getting Flo in the middle of the park would be a decent first step.

Michal
UTS Regular

Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:42 am

Nice goal for 1-0 (Baka I think), unfortunately offside. Later Wigan started to show, why they are fighting for automatic promotion, but I've never thought Walsall can win or draw this game. In April there are games, that decide in which league WFC will play next season. So it's good to be ready for them. Nice to hear that not Keates, but Sharps set the team for this game. I think I've read he is responsible for defence training. If yes, sorry, it's not working. If not, it changes nothing. League One is too difficult it seems.
And Bielik still injured it seems, so why he was loaned to club.

Wyrley Saddler 66
UTS Regular

Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:06 am

0-1 - goalkeeping error, should not be beaten at near post
0-2 - Dobson backed out of a block
0-3 - goalkeeping error

Our tactics?
Dobson - although some good play, he gives the ball away too often
Oztumer - he does not want to play for us and this is obvious, drop now and play 2 up top
Kouyar - decent 1st half, what happened after?
Morris - MOM?- played better on the left, but still could improve
Baka - what a waste of time, always runs just behind the defender, no effort no skill
Guthrie - always a steady 3/10 player, I would have kept Laird
Leahy & Devlin - do we need to play 3 at the back to see their full potential?

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:23 am

Last night highlighted how Whitneys inability to manage senior pros has left us woefully short.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:32 am

Until the first goal we did okay. We were very well organised and Wigan looked poor. The first goal went in and that was it then. Wigan dominated until half time and were clinical. Can only remember 4 Wigan chances and they scored 3 so that just shows their quality. Second half we attacked a little better but Wigan had took their foot off the gas and were fairly comfortable. Overall it was pretty shite. Leahy and Devlin are absolute rubbish. Bakayoko worked hard and won a fair few headers but it’s pointless winning headers when you can’t find a player with them. Ozzy was anonymous with the occasional bit of quality. Rest of them were poor/okay. Can’t be arsed to go through them all.
Last edited by scott_powell on Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:00 am

Ancient Moaner wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:
Less than 4K home fans for the debut of a new Manager, and a team heading for the Championship, it's a disgrace, like the teams performance.

Where were you sat?

I think AM's state of health prevented his attendance....... as previously posted.

Who mentioned his health? He’s moaning at other people not going

Besides where was he sat all the other years he’s been sat on here moaning?

When YOU have watched as many Walsall games as I have in my lifetime you can slag me off all you like, in the meantime
crawl back into your cave and carp at the wall, you will probably love the sound of your own voice bouncing back at you cus you will be the only one listening! Your popularity on UTS speaks it's own volumes.

Woah nobodies slagging anybody off (well except you slagging off people who are sat at home while doing the same thing yourself) I just don’t think your in a position to criticise. I understand your recent health problems but it’s got nothing to do with my point. You often criticised without being there way before tonight.

If your not going yourself I wouldn’t get on my high horse about attendances. As for crawling away or whatever other nonsense you are spouting, no tar.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:57 am

Mmmm .. we really are in serious trouble , not to sure what an inexperienced Manager may be able to bring to this current squad (not suggesting its the wrong appointment).

Entering a relegation battle with Loans who have no interest in being here and our Star player focused on his next move, I seriously don't fancy us.

Buckle up its going to be a rocky road!

latviancheese
Site Addict

Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:13 am

Wigan are a very very good side but they were very leggy and tired, it was disappointing we didnt make more of a game of it.

The mad 10 minutes killed us off right off. Really poor keeping/defending for the first and third goals.

Dobson was class, thought Bakayoko looked like he had an extra yard of pace but the rest was the same old. I just hope we havent left it too late.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:40 am

latviancheese wrote:Wigan are a very very good side but they were very leggy and tired, it was disappointing we didnt make more of a game of it.

The mad 10 minutes killed us off right off. Really poor keeping/defending for the first and third goals.

Dobson was class, thought Bakayoko looked like he had an extra yard of pace but the rest was the same old. I just hope we havent left it too late.

Think "class" is a strong word to describe Dobson's performance. He was okay. Did some good things but was occasionally very sloppy.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:54 am

latviancheese wrote:Wigan are a very very good side but they were very leggy and tired, it was disappointing we didnt make more of a game of it.

So true, their 2 CB's were blowing out of their backsides after 50 mins, it was then Shabs or Candlin should have come on, gone 2 upfront and put some direct passes over the defence for our attackers too run onto.

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:23 pm

Welcome back Deano you now know the massive task just to keep us in this division we are a team in freefall with no ideas anywhere on the pitch.
I did not expect to win but did expect to have a go not just go through the motions.
We are now in deep trouble, posters on here keep saying we are ok we have to play 5 teams below us do you think they are going to roll over and let us win or think Walsall are a crap team we can win this don't forget bottom of league Rochdale was a nailed on win

scott_powell
Site Addict

Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:51 pm

Wonder if Optimistic's cashed out yet? :lol:

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:02 pm

reedswood sadler wrote:Welcome back Deano you now know the massive task just to keep us in this division we are a team in freefall with no ideas anywhere on the pitch.
I did not expect to win but did expect to have a go not just go through the motions.
We are now in deep trouble, posters on here keep saying we are ok we have to play 5 teams below us do you think they are going to roll over and let us win or think Walsall are a crap team we can win this don't forget bottom of league Rochdale was a nailed on win

This is what I've been saying to people for a few weeks now.
We may be playing loads of teams below us but it's a double edged sword.
The perfect opportunity to pull away and secure safety if we win but if we lose we get dragged into the scrap with the rest of them.
We're within sight of these teams now. They're not going to make it easy for us!

Enniskillen
UTS Veteran

Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:14 pm

Bristol Fan wrote:It was the same team and formation as Whitney would have played, and sadly the same "style" too. We're playing 4-2-3-1 to accommodate Oztumer even though we don't have the personnel to play that way. It was a terrible performance, but Wigan are excellent so it was a free hit in a way.

So true, we don't have the players to play the formation needed to suit Oztumer.
We can't play him in a 4-4-2, because he isn't an out and out striker and he's not a winger.
If we want to play 2 upfront then we have to play either 3-4-1-2 or 3-5-2, but having said that we don't have 2 strikers.

Complete shambles of a squad.

tinned
Site Addict

Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:28 pm

Well done Bonser, Gamble & Mole ...... you're definitely reaping what you sow.

While Rome burned .......

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:19 pm

scott_powell wrote:Wonder if Optimistic's cashed out yet? :lol:

My bet is for a top 12 finish Scott but you only mention it when we drop down the table and you never mentioned it when we were a point or two from 12th position. That's a bad personality trait, only picking on people when you think they are vulnerable.

However, I am bigger than that and there is need to wonder Scott I can tell you that I haven't cashed out, you need to get a life of your own and not worry about my gambling habits. In the last 6 games we played the top 3 and lost, played 7th & lost and beat 13th placed Southend who were on a good run. Rochdale was never a nailed on win but I can concede that one to avoid conflict. Even after this run of games with the fans failing to back the manager and the team for most of the season we are still in a position that a few good results could make a big difference with the mixed results the mid table teams are getting.

It looks like I might lose money which I can afford to lose but on the other hand I normally win with my Walsall season bets so I am still in front. it's not over yet and what's the point of changing the manager at this stage if you don't expect the new one to do better.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:35 pm

Optimistic wrote:

My bet is for a top 12 finish Scott but you only mention it when we drop down the table and you never mentioned it when we were a point or two from 12th position. That's a bad personality trait, only picking on people when you think they are vulnerable.

However, I am bigger than that and there is need to wonder Scott I can tell you that I haven't cashed out, you need to get a life of your own and not worry about my gambling habits. In the last 6 games we played the top 3 and lost, played 7th & lost and beat 13th placed Southend who were on a good run. Rochdale was never a nailed on win but I can concede that one to avoid conflict. Even after this run of games with the fans failing to back the manager and the team for most of the season we are still in a position that a few good results could make a big difference with the mixed results the mid table teams are getting.

It looks like I might lose money which I can afford to lose but on the other hand I normally win with my Walsall season bets so I am still in front. it's not over yet and what's the point of changing the manager at this stage if you don't expect the new one to do better.

But, I was right. You should have cashed out.

Vunerable? I asked you about a bloody bet you always bang on about when we have a decent run :roll: :lol:

chunkster
Site Addict

Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:55 pm

tinned wrote:Well done Bonser, Gamble & Mole ...... you're definitely reaping what you sow.

While Rome burned .......
ye just like emperor Nero, he sat and fiddled :lol:

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:59 pm

scott_powell wrote:
Optimistic wrote:

Vunerable? I asked you about a bloody bet you always bang on about when we have a decent run :roll: :lol:

Wrong Scott, the sentence asked about the bet but the smiley at the end meant that you were taking the 'P' in my opinion hence the reply. In fact I don't post so much when we have a decent run more so when we have a bad run and everybody gets negative.

You might be right about me cashing out at some stage but not yet. I cashed out at half time when I backed Wigan to beat Man City and that was a mistake.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:14 am

Snowflake.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:06 am

scott_powell wrote:
Optimistic wrote:

I've seen you bang on about it way more than he has to be fair. And I'm the one whose boring and dragging this site into personal vendettas :roll:

scott_powell
Site Addict

Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:36 am

Yep. Course I do. Go back to every decent run we have and read him bang on about picking up his money. Personal vendetta? I mentioned a bet for fudge sake. Blown out of proportion again. It was a bit of banter. Jesus Christ :lol:

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:55 pm

scott_powell wrote:Snowflake.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You try so hard Scott, but it's like water off a ducks back. Oops, I forgot that you are the one who knocks, better be careful :lol: :lol: :lol:

scott_powell
Site Addict

Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:43 pm

Optimistic wrote:
scott_powell wrote:Snowflake.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You try so hard Scott, but it's like water off a ducks back. Oops, I forgot that you are the one who knocks, better be careful :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you understand the "I am the one who knocks" reference you may actually go up in my estimations. :lol:

Exile
Jobsworth

Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:58 pm

PreviousNext
Return to 2017-18 Season