Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Wigan Athletic (H) Wed 21st Mar, 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wigan Athletic (H) Wed 21st Mar, 7.45pm

Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:09 pm

"The Road to Wigan Pier"

(George Orwell, a.k.a. Eric Arthur Blair)

For Dean Keates' first game in charge we welcome Paul Cook's Wigan Athletic side looking to use their games in hand to get back into the automatic promotion places in League One. Previous managers have included Chris Hutchings, who took charge for 12 games when the Latics were in the Premier League, but the less said about him the better. At the moment they are 3rd in the table behind Blackburn Rovers and Shrewsbury Town, but have the opportunity to be top if results go their way. Now that their interest in the F.A.Cup has finished, they can concentrate on the League (which is what we have allegedly been doing for months).

Wigan's strengths this season have come from a settled and consistent squad (smaller in number than Walsall's) and a very mean defence, conceding only 23 goals in 34 games - and only losing 5 games in those 34 (no club has done better). There should be one familiar face on display on Wednesday night in the form of Will Grigg, and his goalscoring prowess needs no introduction to Saddlers' fans - he was top scorer last season with 25 goals. Recent League One form for Wigan Athletic:-

10 Feb Southend United (A) Lost 3-1
13 Feb Blackpool (H) Lost 0-2
24 Feb Rochdale (H) Won 1-0
4 Mar Blackburn Rovers (A) Drew 2-2
10 Mar Scunthorpe United (H) Drew 3-3
14 Mar Bradford City (A) Won 0-1

So what can we expect from Dean Keates? Bearing in mind his previous associations with the club there will no doubt be an extensive honeymoon period, and there is no way that he can be expected to materially change things in a matter of days before this game against high-flying opposition. Injury means that he can't call on vice-captain Joe Edwards, but he will certainly need someone to stifle Will Grigg - it would be disappointing to see a game dominated by a Saddlers' team determined to show their new manager what they can do, only to lose to an 88th minute smash & grab Grigg winner.....

Assuming another 3 feet of snow doesn't materialise between now and Wednesday, and the game actually goes ahead, I would like to think that a 1-1 draw could be on the cards. Even though Wigan's defence is normally so tight, they did concede 3 to Scunthorpe United and 2 to Blackpool, both recently. In reply to a guaranteed Grigg goal it would be good to see our Turkish Messi come up with an equaliser.

UTS :D

chunkster
Site Addict

Re: Wigan Athletic (H) Wed 21st Mar, 7.45pm

Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:03 pm

I would like to think that there is a win on the cards :D teams do not like playing managerless teams or teams that have just installed a new manager, so on that basis a sneaky 1-0 to the saddlers :D

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:15 pm

Interesting that Wigan have a smaller squad than us which again shows the point I have made before that next season we want fewer players but better ones. Dean has a big job on his hands so he will need the support of all of us as he sorts out the playing side of the Club. Please give him time folks. As for the Wigan game I fear the worst. 0-2 for me.UTS

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:05 am

Walsallone wrote:Interesting that Wigan have a smaller squad than us which again shows the point I have made before that next season we want fewer players but better ones. Dean has a big job on his hands so he will need the support of all of us as he sorts out the playing side of the Club. Please give him time folks. As for the Wigan game I fear the worst. 0-2 for me.UTS

Have they?

Watching their game yesterday they started with Grigg upfront with Massey and Roberts either side of him.

Second half they put on Colclough, Nick Powell and Noel Hunt (who I thought had retired) as attacking options. Devante Cole and James Vaughan (very much proven strikers at this level) both cup tied.

8 attacking players in their squad.

Could be Walsall have more players but some of them like Kouyhar and Candlin have very little senior appearences compared to the Wigan players in those positions.

Anyway can't see anything but a defeat given how strong Wigan are. They will still get second ahead of Sloppies imo. 1-2 but an improved performance and then hopefully pick up points over Easter.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:07 am

Wigan are too strong for this league so I'm expecting a pretty heavy defeat. 3-0.

Can't wait to welcome Deano back

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:30 am

Wigan have 25 senior players in their squad. No way have Walsall got that amount. Wigan loan most of their youth out.

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:50 am

Expecting a defeat and first boos for Deano only hope is they are shattered after cup game or my idea that players did not want to play for Whitney is right and they back Deano and give us a good performance like we know they can do.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:56 am

SoccerHQ wrote:Wigan have 25 senior players in their squad. No way have Walsall got that amount. Wigan loan most of their youth out.

According to Wiki (I know!!) ......

Wigan Athletic have 27 in their squad - I wasn't counting the 10 players out on loan (unavailable) or the 13 players in their U-18 set-up.

Walsall have 30 in the senior squad - that's not counting the 3 players out on loan (Jackson, Butterfield and Sangha)

:D

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:26 pm

Yeah I looked at wiki aswell and counted 25 (didn't include Owen Jones young keeper or Dan Lavercombe another keeper but so obscure he dosen't even have a wiki page :mrgreen: ).

Vast majority of their squad people on here would've heard of e.g. Max Power, Alex Bruce, Michael Jacobs, James Vaughan, Craig Morgan, Gary Roberts, Craig Morgan etc. All vastly experienced league one players with promotions from this league on their CV.7

Now of the 30 listed for Walsall 10 of them are Daniel O'Sullivan, Cockerill-Mollet, Will Shorrock, Cameron Peters, Stefan Mason, Dan Vann, Tobias Hayles Docherty, Mitch Candlin, Ganley and Joe Cairns.

I personally wouldn't count those as they are youth team players who occasioningly make the bench if there are injuries.

Walsall squad in terms of senior numbers is 20 which is about right for the budget.

Anyway.......unless it's a really bad defeat like 4 or 5-0 I can't see why anyone would boo. Just looking for a good performance regardless of result e.g. similar to second half v Blackburn.

BarnsleySaddler
Glitterati

Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:32 pm

Under normal circumstances would go for a loss. But the arrival of Keates. Wigans loss in the FA could combine to help us. In that case would go for a deserved draw. 0-0 but could be 1-1.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:14 pm

reedswood sadler wrote:Expecting a defeat and first boos for Deano only hope is they are shattered after cup game or my idea that players did not want to play for Whitney is right and they back Deano and give us a good performance like we know they can do.

Serious question but why on earth would anyone boo on Wednesday? Unless it was a hopeless 4/5-0 defeat (say the Blackburn first half repeated over 90 minutes).

It bemuses me particularly against a team that is full of championship standard players. Since when did Walsall losing a game of football become such a major crime in some people's minds?

chunkster
Site Addict

Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:47 pm

I honestly can't see even some of our moronic fans booing deano's first game in charge :|

saddla
Site Addict

Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:36 pm

chunkster wrote:I honestly can't see even some of our moronic fans booing deano's first game in charge :|

This time they'll be saying that they were booing the players not the manager instead of the other way around.

chunkster
Site Addict

Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:50 pm

saddla wrote:
chunkster wrote:I honestly can't see even some of our moronic fans booing deano's first game in charge :|

This time they'll be saying that they were booing the players not the manager instead of the other way around.
Well i am thinking of going to the game, as much as i want bonser out, but if i hear any i would certainly address it :| but one of my worries is that you could see scenes like we did at shrewsbury :|tbh some of the worst abuse i hear comes from adults that sit behind the dugouts :|

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:54 pm

Perhaps we could ask the EFL for a sicknote bye, just award the three points to Wiggin, to avoid the utter embarrassment
of a mauling? Watching two 'soon to be Championship' teams on Sunday, showing quality way above that of our squad of low on moral or confidence strangers, was a somewhat worrying prospect for Wednesdays encounter! :oops:

As we cannot play any match without conceding of late, expect at least a 0-3 'ammerin', possibly or probably more, Grigg enjoying at least a couple, in front of the fans that he was only to pleased to leave behind.

There is not a lot Deano can do about new personnel or tactics, cus we aint got any of either!

That being said, I just hope the squad at least put in a decent performance for the new guy, and actually put their bodies on the line in an attempt to keep the score down, instead of the usual statuesque 'let 'em waltz through' antics.

1-1 it is then............we need points, especially if Donny beat Bratfut tonight!

Whitters
Site Addict

Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:30 pm

Their manager is a bit of a character (ie he's eccentric) - http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43318639

chunkster
Site Addict

Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:56 pm

Whitters wrote:Their manager is a bit of a character (ie he's eccentric) - http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43318639
should be easy to wind him up from where i sit then :mrgreen:

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:06 pm

chunkster wrote:
Whitters wrote:Their manager is a bit of a character (ie he's eccentric) - http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43318639

Don't forget as well Chunkster he is an ex Dingle from the early 90's.
Added reason to abuse :mrgreen:

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:58 am

Our fans need to be very careful with their expectations for this game , miracles' wont happen overnight our squad is poor and Dean needs the Summer to ship a number of them out and stamo his style on the team.

I would snap your hands off right now for a draw although I feel a 1-3 coming.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:51 am

I'm expecting nothing more than a team effort.

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:27 pm

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:I'm expecting nothing more than a team effort.

Exactly!

Giving it a good go is all I'm demanding. Anything else is a bonus.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:30 pm

tinned wrote:

Exactly!

Giving it a good go is all I'm demanding. Anything else is a bonus.

Absolutely.

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:50 pm

swampysaddler wrote:
chunkster wrote:

Don't forget as well Chunkster he is an ex Dingle from the early 90's.
Added reason to abuse :mrgreen:

:lol: the last time i gave some grief to a dingle player/manager i was accosted by a couple of stewards :lol: if it wasn't for the stretcher bearer that sits by the dugout vouching for me i could well have been ejected :lol:

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:51 pm

Totally agree :)

Mike Vale
UTS Regular

Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:07 pm

Ah so that’s you Chunkster !! Big bloke Mr Dicko as I recall !

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:22 pm

Saddlers 3 - Wigan 2 (0-1 at half time)

Leahy, Ngoy, Oztumer.

Att: 5,243 (805 from barm cake land)

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:47 pm

Mike Vale wrote:Ah so that’s you Chunkster !! Big bloke Mr Dicko as I recall !
I did react to the way he celebrated his goal against us, and i did get off my seat to tell him what i thought of his celebration as he came running towards the dugout. I was promptly told to "F" off by danny batth. And i was berated by my fellow fans behind me for my language, but to be fair to them they apologised to me later for taking it out of context :) but i must stress that i didn't go beyond the wall, and i was not the idiot that ran onto the pitch :wink:
Last edited by chunkster on Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Enniskillen
UTS Veteran

Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:38 pm

Super Gabor wrote:Saddlers 3 - Wigan 2 (0-1 at half time)

Leahy, Ngoy, Oztumer.

Unfortunately Kinsella and Ngoy will be unavailable for the Saddlers’ next match at home to Wigan on Wednesday, 21st March, because of International call ups. Kouhyar is available but not for Oldham, hence that game is postponed.

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:22 pm

Enniskillen wrote:
Super Gabor wrote:Saddlers 3 - Wigan 2 (0-1 at half time)

Leahy, Ngoy, Oztumer.

Unfortunately Kinsella and Ngoy will be unavailable for the Saddlers’ next match at home to Wigan on Wednesday, 21st March, because of International call ups. Kouhyar is available but not for Oldham, hence that game is postponed.
I don't think Kinsella will be missed but Ngoy certainly will :|

Wyrley Saddler 66
UTS Regular

Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:30 am

With very little time for Deano to assess his squad.

will he start with the same team tonight?

Fitzwater surely over Roberts and he may drop Chambers?

Next
Return to 2017-18 Season