Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Shrewsbury Town (A) 10th Mar, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
coop63
Glitterati

Re: Shrewsbury Town (A) 10th Mar, 3pm

Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:51 pm

So will this be the end of JW or do the board have NO balls at all

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:52 pm

Sounds like we put up a good show but defensive frailty and our failure to take good chances let us down again.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:53 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:Walsall 2nd substitution,, 85 minutes ....... Shaibu on for Ngoy

Wigan Athletic 3 Scunthorpe Utd 3

Blackburn Rovers 3 Blackpool 0

88 minutes and it's 2-0 :( :( :( :(

As said, we concede far too easily even in games when we have competed well.

coop63
Glitterati

Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:55 pm

Don’t want to appear like I’m overreacting but I fear the worst - teams at the bottom have some form, game/s in hand etc

Now has to be the time to make a change?....

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Full time, and a 2-0 defeat - no more or less than we expected, I guess.

At least if we can hold on to our League One status it's looking increasingly likely that we will have a good local derby next season.......

kshammer
Site Addict

The lads worked hard, unlucky, showed desire, good effort, believe, put em under pressure, can't fault them, stick together, believe, effort, the lads, go again, positive, stick together, lads, effort....

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:57 pm

coop63 wrote:So will this be the end of JW or do the board have NO balls at all

Hmmm. Tough one....

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:58 pm

kshammer wrote:The lads worked hard, unlucky, showed desire, good effort, believe, put em under pressure, can't fault them, stick together, believe, effort, the lads, go again, positive, stick together, lads, effort....

........."it says on this card"........ :mrgreen:

usa_saddler

Eccentric_Viewer wrote:Commentary on BBC Sloppy. If you don't have a radio handy, try here:
http://www.streamingthe.net/BBC-Radio-S ... 22605/live

...bad timing that - 0-1

Appreciate the radio link as it worked from the USA! Shame it was dire to listen to...

Will be over for the Portsmouth match - first game for my wife and daughter. Now they will understand the frustration and sadness that comes on around 11am on Sat mornings here in Wisconsin :shock:

If others win the games in hand that we couldn’t over the last month or so, we could see them sliding into the drop zone! :cry:

coop63
Glitterati

NO ONE will worry about facing us for the run in this season - attack us and we cave in

JWs so called focus on a solid defence has failed miserably so get rid now before he takes us down
Last edited by coop63 on Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:59 pm

It's over, like our season was, even in October. We are a shambles, so are our puppet Board.

Who will be brave enough to witness our home defeat to Wigan, by which time we will be deep back into the mire.

We do have good players, well some, but they cannot defend. We are in deep dodo's, though it does not look too bad currently, we have 9 games, sorry 8 (I'm including the Wigan match) to save our 3rd Division lives.
The depression deepens.

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:59 pm

Believe.

coop63
Glitterati

Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:02 pm

Teams make their own luck and put simply, we ain’t working hard enough and smart enough to earn any luck these days. This is Down to the manager (no excuses and no doubts) so if we want to go down then he’s our man.

If we want a chance to stay up then I’m afraid he’s gotta go

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:06 pm

I have every confidence in our overly positive physiotherapist.

coop63
Glitterati

Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:08 pm

kshammer wrote:I have every confidence in our overly positive physiotherapist.

Hope the positive physio can help our crap manager - oh hang on a minute :? :mrgreen:

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:11 pm

I agree with you COOP....as you may recall I changed my mind some weeks ago but the problem is that we have a number of mini runs which have been just enough to keep him in a job. However the fact is that it his squad and It just isn't good enough. We have wasted money on some of loans and they have all been young and inexperienced. We have some good players but they need help from a competent manager.

coop63
Glitterati

Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:14 pm

The facts are that we’re 6 points away from the drop zone and of the 10 teams below us, 7 of them have more than one game in hand.....

If anyone tries to spin our current predicament into anything other than at least ‘worrying’ then they need to have a reality check

coop63
Glitterati

Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:19 pm

Walsallone wrote:I agree with you COOP....as you may recall I changed my mind some weeks ago but the problem is that we have a number of mini runs which have been just enough to keep him in a job. However the fact is that it his squad and It just isn't good enough. We have wasted money on some of loans and they have all been young and inexperienced. We have some good players but they need help from a competent manager.

Mini runs are ok as long as teams around you don’t also pick up points and this is more or less exactly what’s happening - the difficulty now is that a few weeks ago we had games in hand but now the situation has reveresed and all of a sudden we ARE DEFINITELY IN THE RELEGATION DOG FIGHT......

What worries me is the old saying:

It’s not the size of the dog in the fight that’s important - it’s the size of the fight in the dog that matters ...... our manager is inexperienced in these situations and results in his tenure so far indicate he struggles so how can he avoid a spiralling negativity and turn this situation around????

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:21 pm

the board need to act tonight

trust me when those earlybird tickets aren't being sold he will pull the plug.
put john ward in charge in until the end of season and get rid of whitney and sharps tonight

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:24 pm

Walsallone wrote:I agree with you COOP....as you may recall I changed my mind some weeks ago but the problem is that we have a number of mini runs which have been just enough to keep him in a job. However the fact is that it his squad and It just isn't good enough. We have wasted money on some of loans and they have all been young and inexperienced. We have some good players but they need help from a competent manager.

He should have gone at the end of last season - if there had been a few more weeks we would have gone down IMO. We looked a rabble for those last few matches, culminating in that hapless last day of the season shambles against the Dongas.

He should have gone after the Newport cup defeat (their cup run notwithstanding) because the lack of desire was clear to see and as a 'man-motivator' (allegedly) he had clearly failed on his own terms.

He should have gone after the New Years Day defeat at Plymouth...

He should have gone after the 3-0 home defeat in the week...

There have been opportunities to do the right thing and put JW out of his misery, but the club (or rather Bonser) have decided not to. I see no reason why they will change their mind after a 2-0 defeat at a promotion challenging team where we hit the woodwork twice.

Sadsfan
Glitterati

Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:36 pm

Our master tactician blamed our midweek loss on tired legs, but then goes on to make only 1 change to the starting XI and only uses 2 subs, one with 19 minutes to go and 1 with 4. Therefore, I can only summise that he was talking bollocks after Tuesday.

coop63
Glitterati

Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:37 pm

BathSaddler wrote:

He should have gone at the end of last season - if there had been a few more weeks we would have gone down IMO. We looked a rabble for those last few matches, culminating in that hapless last day of the season shambles against the Dongas.

He should have gone after the Newport cup defeat (their cup run notwithstanding) because the lack of desire was clear to see and as a 'man-motivator' (allegedly) he had clearly failed on his own terms.

He should have gone after the New Years Day defeat at Plymouth...

He should have gone after the 3-0 home defeat in the week...

There have been opportunities to do the right thing and put JW out of his misery, but the club (or rather Bonser) have decided not to. I see no reason why they will change their mind after a 2-0 defeat at a promotion challenging team where we hit the woodwork twice.

Unfortunately BSaddler - I fear you are spot on there....

They’ll give him yet another chance and god forbid, we’ll then naturally be further into the mire..... This is what’s so annoying about our board, it’s a fair bet we’ll be right in the clag by the time they act.....

coop63
Glitterati

Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:42 pm

Reports of Walsall fans fighting amongst themselves - they are daft for that but I hope our owner realises the depths to which we have slumped for this frustration to emerge....

Sad sad reflection on what has become a shambles of a club

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:44 pm

There's more chance of Bonser admitting that he's fleeced the club for long enough and selling the freehold back to the club for a value which is appropriate to the pittance he paid than of him sacking Whitless. Even with this clown in charge, I expect to just about stay up. Job done, rent paid.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:07 pm

The league table is flattering us, if the teams below us with games in hand win those games, we could drop 5 places down to 19th.

I’m not expecting anything on Tuesday.

I thought we’d got enough points, but if we drop in to the bottom 4 I worry that this team don’t have the fight to get out of it.

This brings me on to whether it would be worth getting rid of Whitless. Steve Cotterill is available but I imagine we wouldn’t be able to afford his wages for 1 day a week, never mind 6.

coop63
Glitterati

Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:13 pm

philthesaddler wrote:The league table is flattering us, if the teams below us with games in hand win those games, we could drop 5 places down to 19th.

I thought we’d got enough points, but if we drop in to the bottom 4 I worry that this team don’t have the fight to get out of it.

This brings me on to whether it would be worth getting rid of Whitless. Steve Cotterill is available but I imagine we wouldn’t be able to afford his wages for 1 day a week, never mind 6.

You’re right with all your points mate

We don’t have the fight

We don’t have enough points

We definitely can’t afford Cotterill (or any other manager worth a bob or too either...)

I’m not certain we can get out of this mess this season - this position has been coming for a few years now and it’s the result of the boards lake of appetite for anything other than ensuring the rent is paid etc etc etc etc etc - god it’s predictable

UTS

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:14 pm

philthesaddler wrote:The league table is flattering us, if the teams below us with games in hand win those games, we could drop 5 places down to 19th.

If cotterill WAS appointed, the early birds would fly out :mrgreen:
on a serious note, there are quite a few teams below us with games in hand, and Rochdale have 5 i think? i just can't see where our next win will come from, because we play poor against the lower clubs, and even though we lift our game for teams above us it just isn't enough :|
Last edited by chunkster on Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coop63
Glitterati

Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:18 pm

chunkster wrote:

I’m not even sure he’s the Answer - I’m sure most fans would be happy if John Ward was given the position to at least try to get some semblance of order to give us a chance etc...

Eccentric_Viewer

Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:20 pm

Cotterill's interviews make Whitney sound almost sensible!

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:22 pm

coop63 wrote:
chunkster wrote:

I’m not even sure he’s the Answer - I’m sure most fans would be happy if John Ward was given the position to at least try to get some semblance of order to give us a chance etc...
Tbh coop i would take Cherie lunghi over whitless at the moment :wink:

PreviousNext
Return to 2017-18 Season