Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Shrewsbury Town (A) 10th Mar, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Shrewsbury Town (A) 10th Mar, 3pm

Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:58 pm

"Ay, the ball is flying,
The lads play heart and soul,
The goal stands up, the keeper
Stands up, to keep the goal."

(Houseman - "A Shropshire lad")

There are times when you wonder whether it's worthwhile trying to compose a rational preview based on form and performance, and this last week fits right into that category. Where was the logic in going to in-form Southend United (with our not having won away in more than 3 months) and pulling off a 0-3 win? Furthermore how did that logic translate into entertaining bottom-of-the-table Rochdale (who had recorded ONE away win in League One all season) and being beaten by that same scoreline? Better managers than Jon Whitney have no doubt tried to answer that conundrum over the years, but to offer the excuse that the players were "leggy", "fatigued" and so on really doesn't wash. Footballers have, for years, played on a Saturday and then on the following Tuesday or Wednesday evening. (Rant over)

Having said that, our trip to Sloppy-land can't give us much hope in the way of bringing League One points back home. The statistics reveal that Shrewsbury Town have lost the same number of League One games (6) as Rochdale have won! Town also have the 2nd meanest defence in the League, only conceding 26 goals in their 34 games. And yet ....... there is possibly hope that a 0-0 result may be on the cards when you see that we have actually scored more League One goals than the Sloppies have (47 compared to 45) :shock: Based on recent line-ups we could see Matt Sadler start for Shrewsbury, with Craig MacGillivray on the bench. It's also interesting to note that Shrewsbury's last home League One win was as far back as New Years' Day when they beat Oldham Athletic 1-0. Recent League One form:-

3 Feb Bristol Rovers (A) Won 1-2
10 Feb Plymouth Argyle (H) Lost 1-2
13 Feb Fleetwood Town (A) Won 1-2
17 Feb Rotherham United (H) Lost 0-1
20 Feb Gillingham (H) Drew 1-1
24 Feb Charlton Athletic (A) Won 0-2

Joe Edwards' absence may well have contributed to our poor performance against Rochdale, but there again he didn't play at Southend either. How near Jack Fitzwater is to a return after injury is problematical, and Krystian Bielik seems to have disappeared from the radar altogether (possibly at St. Andrews?). So .... in short .... who knows? Certainly not this writer, but as ever, heart will rule head and I'll go for a point from a goal-less result.

UTS :D

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Re: Shrewsbury Town (A) 10th Mar, 3pm

Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:05 pm

I would be very happy with a draw..as its the Sloppies we might just do it!!!

chunkster
Site Addict

Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:06 pm

I will go with us winning only because we seem to do so well against them :?

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:25 am

2-0 defeat.

Whitters
Site Addict

Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:47 am

Get into yer beds early lads - if you're leggy and fatigued again you'll get 'ommered.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:20 am

Walsall 1-2 Shrewsbury. I hope I’m wrong.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:06 am

its that time where Whitney pulls out another unexpected result to help keep him in the job for another week.

2-2

saddlersjse
UTS Regular

Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:58 am

Welsh_Saddler wrote:And yet ....... there is possibly hope that a 0-0 result may be on the cards when you see that we have actually scored more League One goals than the Sloppies have (47 compared to 45)

With decent defensive coaching and organisation, we could have been much further up this league. But we've got Whitney and Sharps :roll:

coop63
Glitterati

Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:19 pm

Sloppies don't concede many and so, here's a couple of interesting stats:

1. Amazingly, we've scored more than them this seaon (47 for us, 45 for them)
2. We've conceded twice as many as them this season - (52 v their 26!!) the table doesn't lie eh :roll:
3. Their 26 conceded is the lowest in L1..
4. Only Oldham have conceded more than us so far this season (58) ..... I wonder how JW feels about this stat given that his approach pre-season was to build a team around a solid and reliable defence.... :roll:

Anyway, back to the game: 1-1

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:23 pm

After the Rochdale performance where Whitneys steely defence gave a good impression of traffic cones I can only see an easy win for the Shrews, but we are Walsall and never stick to form so hope we somehow can stuff them and spoil their Wembly party and dent their promotion hopes.

coop63
Glitterati

Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:31 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:"Ay, the ball is flying,
The lads play heart and soul,
The goal stands up, the keeper
Stands up, to keep the goal."

(Houseman - "A Shropshire lad")

There are times when you wonder whether it's worthwhile trying to compose a rational preview based on form and performance, and this last week fits right into that category. Where was the logic in going to in-form Southend United (with our not having won away in more than 3 months) and pulling off a 0-3 win? Furthermore how did that logic translate into entertaining bottom-of-the-table Rochdale (who had recorded ONE away win in League One all season) and being beaten by that same scoreline? Better managers than Jon Whitney have no doubt tried to answer that conundrum over the years, but to offer the excuse that the players were "leggy", "fatigued" and so on really doesn't wash. Footballers have, for years, played on a Saturday and then on the following Tuesday or Wednesday evening. (Rant over)

Having said that, our trip to Sloppy-land can't give us much hope in the way of bringing League One points back home. The statistics reveal that Shrewsbury Town have lost the same number of League One games (6) as Rochdale have won! Town also have the 2nd meanest defence in the League, only conceding 26 goals in their 34 games. And yet ....... there is possibly hope that a 0-0 result may be on the cards when you see that we have actually scored more League One goals than the Sloppies have (47 compared to 45) :shock: Based on recent line-ups we could see Matt Sadler start for Shrewsbury, with Craig MacGillivray on the bench. It's also interesting to note that Shrewsbury's last home League One win was as far back as New Years' Day when they beat Oldham Athletic 1-0. Recent League One form:-

3 Feb Bristol Rovers (A) Won 1-2
10 Feb Plymouth Argyle (H) Lost 1-2
13 Feb Fleetwood Town (A) Won 1-2
17 Feb Rotherham United (H) Lost 0-1
20 Feb Gillingham (H) Drew 1-1
24 Feb Charlton Athletic (A) Won 0-2

Joe Edwards' absence may well have contributed to our poor performance against Rochdale, but there again he didn't play at Southend either. How near Jack Fitzwater is to a return after injury is problematical, and Krystian Bielik seems to have disappeared from the radar altogether (possibly at St. Andrews?). So .... in short .... who knows? Certainly not this writer, but as ever, heart will rule head and I'll go for a point from a goal-less result.

UTS :D

Firstly Welsh - good preview as ever

Secondly - an apology.... I hadn't read your report in full before posting my own thoughts with stats on goals scored, conceded and defensive frailty etc!!!

UTS

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:16 pm

Nearly 900 tickets sold as of 2.30 p.m., this afternoon.

Fish
UTS Veteran

Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:12 pm

I read in the E&S that Mr motivator has plans to put a spoke in the Sloppies wheels:

“I just don’t think we had it in the tank, but things will be different for Saturday,” he said.
“We’ll keep our heads up now. You have to be ready. If you’re going to sulk, that will affect your preparation for Saturday.

“It’s about being mentally strong, recovering properly and getting the nutrition on board.
“We’ll freshen up for Saturday and be ready for battle.”

Simple as that, recover and eat yer greens. Same old, same old...

I read somewhere where Rochadale's Keith Hill suggested that in their reaction to Whitney, 'Saddlers fans shewed that they were not knowledgeable enough'. The thing is Keith, we are knowledgeable and we know a good manager when we see one. Trouble is...!

Michal
UTS Regular

Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:46 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:... and Krystian Bielik seems to have disappeared from the radar altogether (possibly at St. Andrews?).

Not so long ago it was this article https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/ ... k-14330472
It was said ten days. Anyone seen him at the ground? Training with the team? I don't like that part next couple of weeks. Eight weeks and season will end.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:29 pm

Hoping for a reaction so I'll go for 2-2 and a large dent in their promotion hopes.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:08 am

If we only win one game before the end of the season please lord let it be this one.I live amongst these people and have enjoyed years of being on top.However I fear the worst.Best we can hope for is a draw.

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:49 am

1st time in 10 years or so I aint going to this fixture purely through choice.

as for scoreline id take a whopping 5-0 defeat if this nightmare finally ended.

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:22 pm

wednesburysaddler wrote:1st time in 10 years or so I aint going to this fixture purely through choice.

I doubt if even that would do it. For the time being, I think he's fireproof. If we get hammered today, I fully expect him to be praising Shrewsbury, saying it's a club we should aspire to , forgetting that's where we were when he was at this proper level as physio.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:01 pm

shrewsbury saddler wrote:
wednesburysaddler wrote:1st time in 10 years or so I aint going to this fixture purely through choice.

I doubt if even that would do it. For the time being, I think he's fireproof. If we get hammered today, I fully expect him to be praising Shrewsbury, saying it's a club we should aspire to , forgetting that's where we were when he was at this proper level as physio.

Have to agree with both sentiments, I was going for a run of the mill 2-0 defeat, but if the defence ( :oops: ) play as they did on Tuesday I think it will another Rotherscum result.

Not only do I think Whitney is fireproof for this season, I fully expect he will still be in charge for next season too, whatever League that may end up being!

So another job saving 0-0 draw it is then!

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:10 pm

Baka. in for Kouyhar...Ngoy to play on the left apparently .UTS

UTS Legend

Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:16 pm

I'm hoping for a reaction at Shrewsbury like the one in the Checkatrade Trophy after the Newport game. 1-0 to us.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:38 pm

Walsallone wrote:Baka. in for Kouyhar...Ngoy to play on the left apparently .UTS

HA! now there's a surprise! The debt must have included interest! :D :mrgreen:

Is there ANY Walsall fans out there who think the Arsenal guy will EVER be seen at the Bonk's's's? Hope this 'arrangement' hasn't cost us owt, if so, send the bill to Birmingham City...I'm sure he thinks that's who he signed for.

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:55 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
Walsallone wrote:Baka. in for Kouyhar...Ngoy to play on the left apparently .UTS

HA! now there's a surprise! The debt must have included interest! :D :mrgreen:

Is there ANY Walsall fans out there who think the Arsenal guy will EVER be seen at the Bonk's's's? Hope this 'arrangement' hasn't cost us owt, if so, send the bill to Birmingham City...I'm sure he thinks that's who he signed for.
I have got to the stage where i think the whole club are incompetent :|

Eccentric_Viewer

Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:08 pm

Commentary on BBC Sloppy. If you don't have a radio handy, try here:
http://www.streamingthe.net/BBC-Radio-S ... 22605/live

...bad timing that - 0-1
Last edited by Eccentric_Viewer on Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:09 pm

Well, we lasted 5 minutes .........

Sloppies 1 Saddlers 0 :( :(

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:09 pm

1 down already

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:14 pm

Sloppies not happy with that - rattled our woodwork, 9 min :(

Elsewhere ..... Wigan Athletic 1 Scunthorpe Utd 1

Bury 1 Oldham Athletic 0

Fleetwood Town 0 Plymouth Argyle 1 (15 min)

coop63
Glitterati

Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:15 pm

This could be a long afternoon....

Glad I didn’t go (so far anyway)

Cmon boys

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:17 pm

Shrewsbury just hit the post too :shock:

A long afternoon by the looks of it.

Silver lining corner: Shrews have only picked up one point in the last three home games...

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:24 pm

Portsmouth 1 Gillingham 0

AFC Wimbledon 1 Oxford Utd 0

Bristol Rovers 1 Northampton Town 0

Bury 2 Oldham Athletic 0

Now we've disturbed the Sloppies' woodwork ....... :?

Shrewsbury yellow card, 26 min

Next
Return to 2017-18 Season