Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Shrewsbury Town (A) 10th Mar, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Re: Shrewsbury Town (A) 10th Mar, 3pm

Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:52 pm

I didn't no so can only by the stats which were actually fairly even think shots on target was 4-3 in favour of Sloppies and Walsall had more corners.

People have to remember Sloppies are second and it's not August but 10 games left. They deserve to be up there. It's no different to going up to Wigan or Blackburn and being comfortably turned over.

I went to Northampton and that was worse, barely even a shot after the opening goal. At the time Northampton were second bottom.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:59 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:I didn't no so can only by the stats which were actually fairly even think shots on target was 4-3 in favour of Sloppies and Walsall had more corners.

People have to remember Sloppies are second and it's not August but 10 games left. They deserve to be up there. It's no different to going up to Wigan or Blackburn and being comfortably turned over.

I went to Northampton and that was worse, barely even a shot after the opening goal. At the time Northampton were second bottom.

We offered nothing though, we brought nothing to the party. There were long spells of that game where we posed no threat whatsoever. And how many times did we give the ball away? They played like a team of complete strangers.

tinned
Site Addict

Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:10 pm

Just before their second goal I said to my lad "I wish we could score and shut them up from their constant singing but there's no way we're going to get one back".

The lack of hope an expectation from the supporters is painful to see. The clueless and out of the depth body language of the management team is painful to see. The apparent lack of a desire to change things from the board is painful to see.

All in all we're a club that is sleepwalking into mediocrity.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:15 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:I didn't no so can only by the stats which were actually fairly even think shots on target was 4-3 in favour of Sloppies and Walsall had more corners.

We offered nothing though, we brought nothing to the party. There were long spells of that game where we posed no threat whatsoever. And how many times did we give the ball away? They played like a team of complete strangers.

They hit the woodwork twice.

Trust me likes of Norhampton and Newport away far worse performances than yesterday.

coop63
Glitterati

Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:20 pm

tinned wrote:Just before their second goal I said to my lad "I wish we could score and shut them up from their constant singing but there's no way we're going to get one back".

The lack of hope an expectation from the supporters is painful to see. The clueless and out of the depth body language of the management team is painful to see. The apparent lack of a desire to change things from the board is painful to see.

All in all we're a club that is sleepwalking into mediocrity.

Forgive the attempt at correction but we are well beyond sleepwalking into mediocrity - we’ve been well and truly mediocre most of the season....

Apart from brief sporadic instances of footballing decency, we have, in most aspects of performance and game management, been nothing better than mediocre (IMO!)

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:21 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:

Trust me likes of Norhampton and Newport away far worse performances than yesterday.

One at our end was never, ever going to go in. It may have hit the post but the angle was so acute that was the best on offer. It could be argued that it should have been squared but predictably there was no-one in a good enough position.

I didn't have a good view of the one at the far end, but if it was a decent chance that it was our only chance and would have been absolute robbery.

coop63
Glitterati

Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:25 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:

That’s true but if (and let’s sincerely hope it’s not the case) we go down, I doubt anyone will be comparing every performance this season to decide where we were worse one week than the next...

In general terms we have been lacking quality in many areas most weeks - the wins have been great (as they always are) but the nature of the team displays and general lack of tactics, have been the key factors that will define where we end up at the end of the season etc...

Blackpool88

Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:03 pm

It will be interesting to see where we are in the league by time Wigan game comes around. We are still in big trouble and the inexperienced management team and inexperienced players need to grow up asap! Whitney should have appointed someone with more experience alongside him, maybe even a director of football to help him but would his ego get in the way? I fear so! Every interview he does comes down to talking about himself and his positivity. I didn't hear much positivity coming from dugout yesterday and the way Sharps ridiculed Bakayoko when he misplaced a pass was disgraceful! There are no leaders on the pitch or in the management team and it ultimately leads to the shambles we see week in, week out!

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:39 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:That was an unadulterated sack of gibbon cack.

NO organisation.
NO plan.
NO execution.
NO hope.

Shitney OUT.

Sloppies looked bloody ordinary too, but at least they had a plan unlike our headless chickens.

RUBBISH :( :( :(

Just like me Saigon, you just HAVE to stop sitting on the fence! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:14 pm

4 defeats out of the last 5 , how on earth are we not in the relegation zone?? :lol:

It feels like we lose every bloody week

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:39 pm

Mazza01 wrote:4 defeats out of the last 5 , how on earth are we not in the relegation zone?? :lol:

It feels like we lose every bloody week

Fleetwood haven't won for 12 games.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:49 pm

People who try to justify shite performances with in game stats do my head in.

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:07 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:

I agree poor all over the pitch, the strangers remark spot on it was if they spent the game looking for red shirts and wondering who the hell were the guys in white.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:33 pm

scott_powell wrote:People who try to justify shite performances with in game stats do my head in.

I've said Whitney should go btw.

ShyTallKnight
Glitterati

Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:04 pm

I have always said JW is an incompetent fool. Sack him now.

SWS11
UTS Regular

Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:38 pm

ShyTallKnight wrote:I have always said JW is an incompetent fool. Sack him now.

Aw, c'mon. Stop sitting on the fence! :mrgreen:

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:39 pm

Footage of Walsall fans fighting each other at 5:45 and 7:41 :oops: :oops:

chunkster
Site Addict

Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:07 pm

Does anyone know what they were fighting about?

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:25 pm

It's wrong to get upset after a defeat in a local derby....

But...

To have slops turn us over so tamely and our away following fighting each other shows how bad things are.
For them to chant 'just embarrassing' at us will not do, especially when they are totally justified.
The manner of the defeat was utterly predictable. Nothing has changed in 12m.
That reminded of me of the dongles coming here and lording it at the end of last year.

The only man who can take action won't.
He is probably right that we can scrape three wins from the last few matches.
But we'll probably be in this same position next year.
Who is going to renew a ST on this basis? I'd have to admire their commitment.

coop63
Glitterati

Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:26 pm

Apparently they got word that JW had asked our No 1 fan for a meeting to discuss a contract extension :lol:

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:26 am

Its incredibly difficult not to hate. To not hate Shrewsbury, ever, but especially now, with their stomach-tickling mix of studenty mongs, and old school hooligans that nobody can remember existing back in the old school days, and just the way they sound and look. Its a real difficult one. I was in the Saddlers club with all that yellow and blue tat earlier in the season, and then on the train back to New ST after.

Believe me I felt physically sick, but don't hate them.

Pity them, rise above it and pity them.

Their defeat in the play-off semis and v Lincoln in the tin-pot will be all the sweeter, in fact this is this season's happy ending by proxy, and then next season we can resume normal service.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:07 am

Watching the highlights I was surprised with all the empty seats in their end considering the season they're having.

chunkster
Site Addict

Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:36 am

SoccerHQ wrote:Watching the highlights I was surprised with all the empty seats in their end considering the season they're having.

There are only about 70,000 people live in Shrewsbury, classed as a market town, no matter how well they do it would take quite a lot to get all the poor off farmers to attend a match at around £25. They would have to milk about 100 cows to make that much :lol:

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:07 pm

They have higher home attendance than Walsall, we all know that but given Walsall took 1k it was only 6k home fans in the ground which isn't huge for a club having an unbelievable season.

Was expecting 8-9k crowd although I guess they sold out in the week v Yeovil so short term viewed that as more important game.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:17 pm

Walsallone wrote:Sounds like we put up a good show but defensive frailty and our failure to take good chances let us down again.

More like a no show.... Whitnet Out Leech Out

scott_powell
Site Addict

Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:28 pm

chunkster wrote:Does anyone know what they were fighting about?

Guy who got chucked out said something anti Whitney, Happy clapper didn't like it and had a go (from my understanding, got the first guy who got chucked out on twitter)
Last edited by scott_powell on Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:28 pm

scott_powell wrote:People who try to justify shite performances with in game stats do my head in.

This... "I didn't go but..... "

I DID go.... awful pub nonsense.... I've played in amateur teams with better fullbacks

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:02 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:They have higher home attendance than Walsall, we all know that but given Walsall took 1k it was only 6k home fans in the ground which isn't huge for a club having an unbelievable season.

Was expecting 8-9k crowd although I guess they sold out in the week v Yeovil so short term viewed that as more important game.

I think they only had 4k ish in the week against Yeovil.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:10 pm

chunkster wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:Watching the highlights I was surprised with all the empty seats in their end considering the season they're having.

There are only about 70,000 people live in Shrewsbury, classed as a market town, no matter how well they do it would take quite a lot to get all the poor off farmers to attend a match at around £25. They would have to milk about 100 cows to make that much :lol:

I know it's rural but for the ticket office to accept milk for match tickets,very rustic.

chunkster
Site Addict

Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:15 pm

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:
chunkster wrote:

I know it's rural but for the ticket office to accept milk for match tickets,very rustic.

:lol: ye I should have worded that better :lol:

PreviousNext
Return to 2017-18 Season