Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Shrewsbury Town (A) 10th Mar, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Re: Shrewsbury Town (A) 10th Mar, 3pm

Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:23 pm

Just got back. One consolation is that I can't see Shrewsbury getting promoted, if it took 88 minutes to put us out the game. Some fair approach work in the first half.The defence looked shaky all match. Then at half-time he switched Ngoy to the middle, fair enough, but kept Baka on widish left. Throughout the second half, Whitney was turning away shaking his head, but making no substitutions , and even then keeping Baka on.

972 at least. I was in the home section, and I'm sure I heard a "Whitney Out" from behind me after the second goal. My shouts at the dug-out on leaving at least amused the stewards.

coop63
Glitterati

Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:24 pm

Has the escapologist Mr Whitters spoken yet - I haven’t had the heart to seek out his after game gems of wisdom yet...

coop63
Glitterati

Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:25 pm

chunkster wrote:
coop63 wrote:
chunkster wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:The league table is flattering us, if the teams below us with games in hand win those games, we could drop 5 places down to 19th.

I’m not expecting anything on Tuesday.

I thought we’d got enough points, but if we drop in to the bottom 4 I worry that this team don’t have the fight to get out of it.

This brings me on to whether it would be worth getting rid of Whitless. Steve Cotterill is available but I imagine we wouldn’t be able to afford his wages for 1 day a week, never mind 6.
If cotterill WAS appointed, the early birds would fly out :mrgreen:

I’m not even sure he’s the Answer - I’m sure most fans would be happy if John Ward was given the position to at least try to get some semblance of order to give us a chance etc...
Tbh coop i would take Cherie lunghi over whitless at the moment :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

dobbster71
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:27 pm

The kids will have to look that one up!!

coop63
Glitterati

Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:31 pm

dobbster71 wrote:The kids will have to look that one up!!

Cooking my spagbo now to calm me down and I’m goin from incensed to mildly tempered due to the drink and the endless humour of my fellow Saddlers - thanks! :roll:

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:40 pm

coop63 wrote:
dobbster71 wrote:The kids will have to look that one up!!

Cooking my spagbo now to calm me down and I’m goin from incensed to mildly tempered due to the drink and the endless humour of my fellow Saddlers - thanks! :roll:
It's either humour or the rope and stool mate :wink:

coop63
Glitterati

Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:41 pm

shrewsbury saddler wrote:Just got back. One consolation is that I can't see Shrewsbury getting promoted, if it took 88 minutes to put us out the game. Some fair approach work in the first half.The defence looked shaky all match. Then at half-time he switched Ngoy to the middle, fair enough, but kept Baka on widish left. Throughout the second half, Whitney was turning away shaking his head, but making no substitutions , and even then keeping Baka on.

972 at least. I was in the home section, and I'm sure I heard a "Whitney Out" from behind me after the second goal. My shouts at the dug-out on leaving at least amused the stewards.

Well done to the 972 that had the persistence to turn up - I never thought I’d deny myself an away day at their place but I’ve lost my mojo with the current lack of leadership and any semblance of ambition - sorryand sad to admit it - UTS

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:44 pm

Mr Shifty has spoken. Started too slowly, conceded too early , Shrewsbury did the basics better. That's funny. When we score early, it galvanises the opposition doesn't it? A whole team not doing the basics and the manager seems to be saying,"Nothing to do with me ,Guv."

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:49 pm

That was an unadulterated sack of gibbon cack.

NO organisation.
NO plan.
NO execution.
NO hope.

Shitney OUT.

Sloppies looked bloody ordinary too, but at least they had a plan unlike our headless chickens.

RUBBISH :( :( :(

Sadsfan
Glitterati

Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:14 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:That was an unadulterated sack of gibbon cack.

NO organisation.
NO plan.
NO execution.
NO hope.

Shitney OUT.

Sloppies looked bloody ordinary too, but at least they had a plan unlike our headless chickens.

That's the frustrating thing Saigon, you don't have to play like Barca to do well in this league. Burton went up playing unspectacular football, but they did have a plan and they were well organised and defensively quite solid - a bit like Shrewsbury. Whitney always seems to be outhought by opposition managers.

coop63
Glitterati

Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:15 pm

NO organisation.
NO plan.
NO execution.
NO hope.

Shitney OUT.

Makes me laugh that list coz I remember going up to Donny a couple of seasons ago (a crazy Tuesday night urge took me) when Deadly O’Driscoll was in charge (and it’s his old club etc etc) and I was chatting to a Donny fan before the game and that’s EXACTLY what he said about their side at that time.....

As it happens we’d still got the remnants of Smithys team and organisation about us and we won the game - the comparison is very real and they themselves went quickly from Championship hopefuls to L1 relegation candidates very quickly :?

Mike Vale
UTS Regular

Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:16 pm

Shrewsbury well deserved their victory. They outmuscled us, were quicker to the ball, passed better than us etc. Apart from a couple of brief flurries we were not in the game. JW’s body language was interesting; he was not animated, just muttered away and appeared thoroughly fed up with the team and himself. I was interested to note a lenghy chat between Paul Hirst and George Dobson at the end. They were not arguing. What was that all about ?

Sadsfan
Glitterati

Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:18 pm

Mike Vale wrote:Shrewsbury well deserved their victory. They outmuscled us, were quicker to the ball, passed better than us etc. Apart from a couple of brief flurries we were not in the game. JW’s body language was interesting; he was not animated, just muttered away and appeared thoroughly fed up with the team and himself. I was interested to note a lenghy chat between Paul Hirst and George Dobson at the end. They were not arguing. What was that all about ?

Probably asking him if he knew what "play through them and beat the press" means

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:18 pm

Sadsfan wrote:

NO organisation.
NO plan.
NO execution.
NO hope.

Shitney OUT.

That's the frustrating thing Saigon, you don't have to play like Barca to do well in this league. Burton went up playing unspectacular football, but they did have a plan and they were well organised and defensively quite solid - a bit like Shrewsbury. Whitney always seems to be outhought by opposition managers.
I think whitney would be out thought by pinky out of pinky and the brain "NARF"

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:24 pm

He needs to fudge off out our club. fudge waste of space. fudge his “service” to the club. It means nothing. He’s done. Go. Now. I can’t stand the man, can’t stand his football and I can’t stand his bullshit comments. Go. Now.

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:53 pm

NO organisation.
NO plan.
NO execution.
NO hope.

Shitney OUT.

You just wrote my post for me any more performances like this and we will be dragged into bottom4.

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:00 pm

Jon Whitney had a dream to ruin our football team
He sold all of of our players and got some on loan
Leahy at the back,
Bakka in attack,
We're Walsall FC we're on our way back
League 2 League 2 League 2 we're on our way back to league 2

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:02 pm

Looking at the stats it seemed quite an even game after the early goal, just reading joe Masi twitter and it seems N'Goy had a header tipped over, Devlin hit the post and Ozzy was hacked down when he was through on goal so chances were created today.

Like it or not but Sloppies are top 2 for a reason.

Obviously Whitney needs to be sent packing end of season but not worried about relegation at all, today was another game Fleetwood failed to win and Bury-Oldham was a draw.

Rochdale winning at Rotherham was a good effort, they're better than bottom 4 and have games in hand of course.

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:06 pm

We'm going down. Make no bones about that you happy clappers, this bloke is TAKING US DOWN.

Sunday pub football.

The coward wouldn't even look in our direction at the final whistle. You can bet if we'd won he's be straight over giving it the big 'un.

He loves the club does he? Like eff he does, if he did he would walk tonight rather than making crap excuses.

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:31 pm

tinned wrote:We'm going down. Make no bones about that you happy clappers, this bloke is TAKING US DOWN.

Sunday pub football.

The coward wouldn't even look in our direction at the final whistle. You can bet if we'd won he's be straight over giving it the big 'un.

He loves the club does he? Like eff he does, if he did he would walk tonight rather than making crap excuses.
The only thing that nob loves is his ego :|

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:32 pm

tinned wrote:We'm going down. Make no bones about that you happy clappers, this bloke is TAKING US DOWN.

Sunday pub football.

5 more points will probably be enough for survivial.

Things are bad and Whitney needs to be dismissed as soon as the season is over but things aren't that bad. Fleetwood haven't won for about 12 games so they're unlikely to make up the ground unless they actually win a game.

Walsall_Casual
Glitterati

Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:45 pm

Feeling ashamed to be a proud Walsall fan of 30 years tonight.

You clueless idiots are letting us all down.

We have nothing and if you didn’t know, we fudge hate Shrewsbury!

We want our Walsall back.

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:30 pm

Watching that today was so depressing. Shrewsbury didn't seem to have any special players, but they do have a team that's neat and tidy and well-drilled, where every player knows his role to a tee. They attack as a team, defend as a team. They're everything we are not because they've got a proper manager who is coaching the team well and understands that tactics do matter, it's not just about workrate. Keep the players the same but swap the managers and we could easily be right up there and they could be down where we are. Whitney's just got to go. Even in the dark days towards the end of Merson's reign, I don't remember the in-game atmosphere being so bad. Even when we lost 5-0 at Brentford in his last game (which prompted Whalley's "there'll be a riot at the next match if we don't sack him" comment) it wasn't as bad as it was today. Put him out of his misery Bonser, please. It's horrible to watch, in every way.

UTS Legend

Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:55 am

"A bright and enterprising Walsall side" :? :?
- according to Channel 5.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TlOD0o ... p=drivesdk

mel58
UTS Veteran

Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:40 am

Awful, disjointed, spiritless performance.
As others have said, Shrewsbury were not a great side but they worked hard, were totally committed and they had a plan.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:21 am

Whitney yesterday - “It’s was always going to be difficult after their first goal went in”

Whitney after Northampton - “it’s was always going to be difficult after we scored so early as it gave Northampton belief”

The man is a clown. fudge his service.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:44 am

Guest wrote:"A bright and enterprising Walsall side" :? :?
- according to Channel 5.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TlOD0o ... p=drivesdk

This is how BBC reported it....

Walsall were also lively going forward and Dean Henderson, the Shrewsbury goalkeeper, had to be alert to tip a Kieron Morris header over the bar.

Nicky Devlin then went close to an equaliser when he burst into the box and fired against the near post from a narrow angle before Erhun Oztumer was off-target from a 25-yard free kick.

Walsall's Liam Leahy headed against the woodwork in the closing stages before Shrewsbury doubled their lead in the 88th minute as skipper Ogogo swept home Rodman's cross from the right.

No idea who Liam Leahy is but it can't have been that bad if Walsall hit the woodwork twice and also had other shots on target away to second in the league.

I think people are being clouded by a) Whitney and b) who Walsall lost to.

I doubt this would even be in the top 10 worst performances of the season e.g. Newport, Rochdale at home, Bury away, Rotherham away, Plymouth away etc.

The General
UTS Regular

Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:44 pm

I see JW is saying the players need to look in the mirror.He never takes responsibility I have never heard him say "I picked the wrong team"or"I got the tactics wrong"There is only one person who needs to look in the mirror and recognise complete tactical incompetence.We have no shape no obvious pattern of play.Even against the bottom side in the league at home we play one up front no attacking width and put the opposition under absolutely no pressure for at least the first 45 minutes.As others have said Sunday league managers talk about energy and enthusiasm.He reminds me of Barry Fry who had loads of enthusiasm and was a smashing bloke but lacked the ability to field an eleven who all understood their roles and who formed a cohesive unit on the pitch.
I suspect that man for man Shrewsbury,s players are no better than ours-the difference is they have a good manager whereas we clearly do not.
If you love the club Jon do a Pardew and suggest to the Board they may want to look elsewhere.You have now lost the support of so many fans that on a personal level there is little or no chance of opinions changing.

Gripper
Glitterati

Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:47 pm

Loads of online gobbing off as per by the usual suspects on twitter. One even publicing the fact he’s had to actually apologise to the clubs E&S reporter. Embarrassing.

They always justify it by saying “we always have these moments we just care too much etc”. Would you say the same to these people in person one on one? Doubt it.

Blackpool88

Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:48 pm

[quote][/No idea who Liam Leahy is but it can't have been that bad if Walsall hit the woodwork twice and also had other shots on target away to second in the league.

I think people are being clouded by a) Whitney and b) who Walsall lost to.

I doubt this would even be in the top 10 worst performances of the season e.g. Newport, Rochdale at home, Bury away, Rotherham away, Plymouth away etc.]

From sound of that you didn't go to the game. It was a hardworking performance yes, but there was no quality in our play at all and Shrewsbury were by far the better side in all areas . As others have said a more competent manager would get more out of this team. I had the misfortune to be seated around the dugouts and it's clear he is out of his depth. If Whitney has any designs on keeping his job he could do with getting a more experienced assistant alongside him because the plonker with the clipboard, Sharps, offers nothing at all.

PreviousNext
Return to 2017-18 Season