Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Rochdale (H) Tue 6th Mar, 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Exile
Jobsworth

Re: Rochdale (H) Tue 6th Mar, 7.45pm

Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:09 pm

Guest wrote:Rochdale are obviously treating this game as a cup tie.

So, in their own special way, are Walsall... :(

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:11 pm

Indeed Exile, good job we did get those 3 points on Saturday, because currently, not only have no longer got 'games in hand' we have now played more games than any team in the bottom half!
Still don't think we will get sucked back into the mix, but with improvements from the likes of Rochdale and Oldham, some that are hovering around the zone should watch their backs.

Why do Walsall teams always do this....most disconcerting, and according to the BBC report they appear to be peppering our goal, though thankfully very few on target.

Next season with Whitney in charge? I can't bear thinking about it........................

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:12 pm

Exile wrote:
Guest wrote:Rochdale are obviously treating this game as a cup tie.

So, in their own special way, are Walsall... :(

Nail well and truly hit on head.

Get the distinct feeling that we won't escape this embarrassment tonight, Rochdale still shooting on site, we appear to be making little impression up front.
Last edited by Ancient Moaner on Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:16 pm

0-2!

This is why JW should be helped on his way out the door in the summer.

Just when you think Saturday's result might mean a decent end to the season at least, you get a score like this.

Ian Henderson's 16th of the season, should have a look at him in the summer.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:17 pm

Exile wrote:Somewhat deflating...

But not really surprising given how the season has gone. We are too quick to congratulate ourselves on a decent result (or two) and then revert back to our rather mediocre ways, only to get desperate and start the cycle all over again.

0-2 now.

We're simply as stale as cack.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:21 pm

Penalty to us...saved

FFS

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:23 pm

Desperately inconsistent. We can't seem to organise ourselves correctly over a period of games.our 'form' is the definition of random.

We have to get a coach in over the summer that has a good grasp of setting teams up, understands tactical variety and decent at in game management.

We won't have Ozzy's goals, and with number one fan's hand on the club wallet we won't have much in attacking options. So we will need a manager that really knows what their doing.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:24 pm

Sloppies 1 up btw. Didn't realise they're going to win Wembley in the paint pot if they win tonight. That and a possible promotion. :shock:

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:27 pm

I don't care about the win against southend, the game tonight meant more to me, against the bottom team, so as to measure our progress, and we are dog shite. :|

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:30 pm

It's the law Walsall get one football lesson off Rochdale every season.

ShyTallKnight
Glitterati

Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:32 pm

Normal service resumed.

Exile
Jobsworth

F***’s sake.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Deary me 0-3. :lol:

ShyTallKnight
Glitterati

Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:34 pm

I always said that JW is a clown. Get rid.

UTS Legend

Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:37 pm

Three shots on target, three goals.

We've had four on target.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:43 pm

Disgusting. Get the prick out now.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:43 pm

Well you have to laugh. Still not out of the relegation battle in my view, although we probably have just enough to overcome the general tactical ineptitude and poor application to survive.

saddlersjse
UTS Regular

Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:46 pm

BathSaddler wrote:Well you have to laugh. Still not out of the relegation battle in my view, although we probably have just enough to overcome the general tactical ineptitude and poor application to survive.

Yeah, he's called Oztumer.

UTS Legend

Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:48 pm

Shrewsbury and Wigan in our next two games. Should win those! :lol:

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:58 pm

Guest wrote:Three shots on target, three goals.

We've had four on target.

Wait till you see the goals on the highlights.
Embarrassing doesn’t cover it.

They were passing rings round us for most of the game, first to most tackles and generally just looked better all round. Defenders just standing there like statues.
The loanees up front looked like the only players who gave a toss.

We were lucky to get the penalty as it looked a blatant dive the linesman fell for. Ozzys penalty was poor.

We were just generally crap.

And Whitney continues his run of following up half decent wins with utter dross.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:01 pm

saddlersjse wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:Well you have to laugh. Still not out of the relegation battle in my view, although we probably have just enough to overcome the general tactical ineptitude and poor application to survive.

Yeah, he's called Oztumer.

You got the hint, saddlerjse :wink: , although I think our young keeper has also played his part.

coop63
Glitterati

Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:03 pm

You may laugh Bathsaddler but me and many others definitely won’t.

Who will carry the can this week, JW, the players, not dealing with their press (and I don’t mean the Rochdale Gazzette either!) For God’s sake when will we learn about his inability to manage a group of players?

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:04 pm

chunkster wrote:I don't care about the win against southend, the game tonight meant more to me, against the bottom team, so as to measure our progress, and we are dog shite. :|

Wait so a win against a team doesn’t count because a different game “means more” to you?

Interesting thought process there. I’m not defending tonight’s result just baffled by that thought process.

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:05 pm

MESSAGE TO MR BONSER AND THE BOARD

I haven't renewed my season ticket yet.
if you don't get rid of this clown in charge of the team I will not be renewing
my name is barry Collins you can look me up on your database and youre more than welcome to come round and see me.
as youll see ive been a loyal fan for 30 years and most years ive had a season ticket.
my daughter doesn't wany to come anymore so you've already lost £69 quid as she spends the money you give her back in the ground
if by 31st march hes still in charge I also will not be renewing.
I may be only 1 voice but every 1 of me adds up.
you sack him I will renew immediately

ps mr whitney if you do take another job at another club I will personally drive you there and pay for all you food and drink on the journey
Last edited by wednesburysaddler on Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:07 pm

6 points from the remaining ten is probably doable I reckon considering we seem to fluctuate wildly.

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:09 pm

El_Nombre wrote:
chunkster wrote:I don't care about the win against southend, the game tonight meant more to me, against the bottom team, so as to measure our progress, and we are dog shite. :|

Wait so a win against a team doesn’t count because a different game “means more” to you?

Interesting thought process there. I’m not defending tonight’s result just baffled by that thought process.
We lose to the team in our division that are bottom? 3-0 ? and we beat a middling team that have been on a bit of a run? it doesn't take a lot to baffle you does it.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:11 pm

chunkster wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:

We lose to the team in our division that are bottom? 3-0 ? and we beat a middling team that have been on a bit of a run? it doesn't take a lot to baffle you does it.

Like I said, I’m not defending tonight’s result, I just don’t understand why a better result in a tougher game doesn’t count. That’s the bit that baffles me. Forgive me if that’s “not a lot”.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:11 pm

coop63 wrote:

You may laugh Bathsaddler but me and many others definitely won’t.

Who will carry the can this week, JW, the players, not dealing with their press (and I don’t mean the Rochdale Gazzette either!) For God’s sake when will we learn about his inability to manage a group of players?

Sometimes you just have to laugh, coop63, because with Whitney in charge it's just a farce. He is so out of his depth it's untrue.

He should have gone at the end of last season and we are in the same situation again. Only the paucity of decent teams in League One has saved us - well, that and someone called Oztumer.

coop63
Glitterati

Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:14 pm

I think this highlights one of the facets of JWs inability to manage people.... no doubt after Saturday (and dont get me wrong, they did deserve utmost credit) but he was probably overflowing with delight all the way back home and creaming everyone up that this was their opportunity to go on a good run and keep clean sheets etc etc etc. Probably then went easy on them in training and stroked their egos before tonight’s game instead of keeping his foot well and truly down to maximise the benefits of the weekend gains..... what happens next, total and utter crap is dished out in front of the home fans.... he CANNOT MANAGE and that’s the honest truth....

Again (I’m sick of saying it) he was quoting in the press about our ability to genuinely keep clean sheets in the coming games - bang, in the very next game we ship 3 goals! It’s amazing how he has the ability to confound himself every bloody time he speaks to the papers!

Jon - keep your gob shut to the press and start to take a hard look at what YOU can do to improve YOUR performance...

UTS (phew I needed to get that off me chest!)

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:18 pm

El_Nombre wrote:
chunkster wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:

Like I said, I’m not defending tonight’s result, I just don’t understand why a better result in a tougher game doesn’t count. That’s the bit that baffles me. Forgive me if that’s “not a lot”.
Because we were expected to lose at southend, and i could have taken that, but we were playing the bottom team at home tonight and i fully expected us to win it, and if we have lost 3-0 tonight and southend was a tougher game then it makes us look even more pathetic.

PreviousNext
Return to 2017-18 Season