Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Rochdale (H) Tue 6th Mar, 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Re: Rochdale (H) Tue 6th Mar, 7.45pm

Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:31 am

[quote="PT"]We are within a couple of wins of safety.

If/when we get to 52 points we should negotiate a settlement with him that sees him leave after the last game of the season.

I think he would get a decent reception at Fleetwood on that last day as we could all now take stock of a dozen years service and give him a send off that in the round he probably deserves. I think that would actually mean a lot to him. It would also give the club time to openly seek a replacement who could have the summer to rebuild in their image.

If his ego prevented him seeing it through to the end of the season then you just pot him as soon as we’re safe and have the role caretakered until the summer.

Either way, he can’t be our manager on the opening day of 2018/19.[/quote]

My good friend, at the end of the day this is Walsall Commerce Ltd, the football side is but an annoying sideline, Whitney WILL still be our manager for the start of next season, he'll do cus he's cheap, and it'll do. Bugga those pesky supporters anyway, what do they no about running a business, sorry, football team.
I am becoming more fed up with this amateur approach to the current running of OUR football club than ever before, unless someone has the guts to do something now we might just end up like the Monkey Hangers, Orient or Tranmere.
We wait for some announcement today, but it won't happen. :evil:

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:30 am

Well that's me done for this season , I have invested an awful lot of money into this club over the past 25 years and refuse to plough anymore in until the club takes control of the playing side of things.

With the money the club have taken over the last few years there is absolutely no reason why we should be in the position we are with such a poor management set up and squad.

For me Whitney completed his own P45 last night. With the performance basically summing up his time in charge.

Anyway that's me done for this season , hopefully there's a change and we can all look forward to next..

UTS!

IHTC.
Site Addict

Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:48 am

PT wrote:We are within a couple of wins of safety.

If/when we get to 52 points we should negotiate a settlement with him that sees him leave after the last game of the season.

I think he would get a decent reception at Fleetwood on that last day as we could all now take stock of a dozen years service and give him a send off that in the round he probably deserves. I think that would actually mean a lot to him. It would also give the club time to openly seek a replacement who could have the summer to rebuild in their image.

If his ego prevented him seeing it through to the end of the season then you just pot him as soon as we’re safe and have the role caretakered until the summer.

Either way, he can’t be our manager on the opening day of 2018/19.

He's not going till January at the earliest, if by then things are bad then he will be gone, if by some miracle we are a top 12 side by then don't be shocked to see him get an extended contract.

Personally I would like him gone asap and a new manager in before the end of the season to see what has to work with before they go away on their holidays.

layzeedude
UTS Regular

Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:59 am

Ideal situation for me would be to get an experienced manager in and keep JW as assistant manager. He knows the players and club inside out so makes sense to keep him around. I just don't see his ego allowing that to happen.

Find it increasingly difficult to give a fudge about our games. Depresses me to type that. Where's the excitement gone?

UTS always

LD

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:03 pm

We don't know the board's thinkings or demands made to JW.

Despite what they say in the press from time to time the sole target to him in August could've been just keep the club in the division.

Regardless you still look for progress in seasons and to me now it's unlikely the club will even get to 58 points which was last season's tally. Add in more early cup exits and some poor recent form which will mean ticket sales will take a hit.

Stating the bleeding obvious but it's much easier to let someone go on a mutual agreement when he has 1 year left as opposed to two.

I'd be surprised if Whitney is still here next season. There isn't enough plus points in his favour anymore. Mind you I thought he'd be a goner after Newport so he does seem to have a knack of surviving when he's on the brink.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:22 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:We don't know the board's thinkings or demands made to JW.

Despite what they say in the press from time to time the sole target to him in August could've been just keep the club in the division.

Regardless you still look for progress in seasons and to me now it's unlikely the club will even get to 58 points which was last season's tally. Add in more early cup exits and some poor recent form which will mean ticket sales will take a hit.

Stating the bleeding obvious but it's much easier to let someone go on a mutual agreement when he has 1 year left as opposed to two.

I'd be surprised if Whitney is still here next season. There isn't enough plus points in his favour anymore. Mind you I thought he'd be a goner after Newport so he does seem to have a knack of surviving when he's on the brink.

I think this is where the club need to be little more open though , at the last fans forum they claimed to of discussed results with Jon after the Newport game. Basically insinuating that they improve or he will be losing his job.

Again we have just lost 3 out of our last 4 games , its not fair for the club to expect the fans to put up with it much longer.

Also think back to Jon's strong words at the Fans meeting its all just noise he hasn't delivered on any of it.

coop63
Glitterati

Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:56 pm

Lets be honest, in any other club, he'd be gone.....

Just look around the leagues, we are in a competitive sporting environment where people pay to see a team compete..... If teams don't compete, the manager more often than not is held accountable...

The amount of manager changes on an ongoing basis seems an inevitable process - it's finding the right fit that's the hardest part... You only need to look at the farcical situation at Blues to realise that, they get rid of a guy doing a great job in Gary Rowett because their ownder wants an A-list guy in the hot seat (JF Zola) where money seems no object and it's gone totally belly up since with 5 managers in 15/16 months - obviously the opposite of our situation but with the same result!!!

The biggest issue is how we are run as a club, even if they change JW, the next manager will be told that we incurred significant costs to terminate his contract and bring the new guy in - obvious budgetry controls will be highlighted, so effectively it'll be another 'try your best with the very limited resources available to you' syndrome.

One things for sure, we aint getting any return for what we pay to watch week in, week out.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:06 pm

Whitney resign,he doesn't even realise or accept that he is crap.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:39 pm

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:Whitney resign, he doesn't even realise or accept that he is crap.

Sad to say he won't, he thinks he is doing a great job, nor will JB and his puppets get rid of him, he'll do, he's cheap, they couldn't care one iota about entertaining those pesky supporters..........He should have been shown the door this am but they haven't the guts.........
"Lets see what happens" will probably send us down, but what the heck, does it really matter? :evil:

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:36 pm

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:Whitney resign,he doesn't even realise or accept that he is crap.

Keith hill the Rochdale manager has stated in the Birmingham mail that Walsall fans should be more knowledgable about the club.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:59 pm

Cowshed wrote:
NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:Whitney resign,he doesn't even realise or accept that he is crap.

Keith hill the Rochdale manager has stated in the Birmingham mail that Walsall fans should be more knowledgable about the club.

They are, they are, they know that Whitney is a crap manager, why is it that all those supposedly 'in the know' individuals in the footy game, including our puppet Directors ( :lol: :lol: ) believe that ALL football supporters wear cloth caps, have racing pigeons in the yard, and have the intellect of fleas. There are some UTS posters on here that could put such individuals in the shade when it comes to intellect. Some have tried to find out the truth about the club, but have been met with stone wall "that should keep them satiated for now" answers in the belief that no more searching questions will ever be asked again. More knowledgeable my a**e!

Up the Saddlers, down with the management.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:15 pm

More booing when Baka came on. Came from the top shelf. Not extensive but audible and completely unwelcome.

chunkster
Site Addict

Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:17 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:More booing when Baka came on. Came from the top shelf. Not extensive but audible and completely unwelcome.
Amibas :roll:

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:27 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:More booing when Baka came on. Came from the top shelf. Not extensive but audible and completely unwelcome.

I think the booing was more to do with Ngoy being substituted.

Previous
Return to 2017-18 Season