Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Southend United (A) Mar 3rd, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
chunkster
Site Addict

Re: Southend United (A) Mar 3rd, 3pm

Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:48 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:http://www.shrimperzone.com/vb/showthread.php?95671-Southend-United-0-3-Walsall-FC
It's like reading our posts but in a different colour :lol:

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:05 pm

Fantastic result 3 points towards staying up 3 goals form lack of interest Ozzy and a clean sheet what more can you ask for ( cue Whitney out)

Thanks Southend for getting game on even though you made our fans travel in poor weather and road conditions, Total respect to all those who made the trip.

Let's hope we do not do the usual Walsall trick and ruin it all by losing to Rochdale.

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:47 pm

Whilst basking in this fantastic win let's take a minute and think about our Blue Nose neighbours.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43274344

Nah in fact :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:51 pm

According to the onscreen tv guide, the "Goal Rush" programme has been cancelled by Channel 5 (only 5 games to cover, I suppose).

I wonder if the goals will be incorporated into the Championship programme?

TheGilbertAlsop
UTS Regular

Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:02 pm

For the first 30 minutes it was all Southend but they didn't create too much as Guthrie was superb at the back, heading everything away. Kory Roberts made a couple of mistakes but settled after. Walsall began to get a grip in the game but like Southend didn't create anything of note in an awful first half.
The second half was far better as Morris began to play well and had a few good runs before Oztumer scored with a goal that bobbled off the pitch and over the home keeper. After that, it was all Walsall as Ozzie scored another of his great free-kicks (has there ever been a better free-kick taker for Walsall?) and then wrapped up the points with his hat-trick after another assist from Leahy (has there ever been a Walsall full-back provide as much assists in one season?).
What pleased me most today was our defensive performance as it is the best I have seen this season, particularly Guthrie. We hit them on the break and hit them well. A complete away performance!

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:41 pm

Pedagogue wrote:According to the onscreen tv guide, the "Goal Rush" programme has been cancelled by Channel 5 (only 5 games to cover, I suppose).

Yes that will happen as there wasn't that many championship games and it's on for the full hour.

saddlertd
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:07 pm

TheGilbertAlsop wrote:For the first 30 minutes it was all Southend but they didn't create too much as Guthrie was superb at the back, heading everything away. Kory Roberts made a couple of mistakes but settled after. Walsall began to get a grip in the game but like Southend didn't create anything of note in an awful first half.
The second half was far better as Morris began to play well and had a few good runs before Oztumer scored with a goal that bobbled off the pitch and over the home keeper. After that, it was all Walsall as Ozzie scored another of his great free-kicks (has there ever been a better free-kick taker for Walsall?) and then wrapped up the points with his hat-trick after another assist from Leahy (has there ever been a Walsall full-back provide as much assists in one season?).
What pleased me most today was our defensive performance as it is the best I have seen this season, particularly Guthrie. We hit them on the break and hit them well. A complete away performance!

has there ever been a better free-kick taker for Walsall?)

Craig Shakespeare!

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:26 pm

Walsallone wrote:Did you go to the game HARRY ? I ask because the Express and Star say the both Guthrie and Roberts played well!

And Roberts has had more good performances in 6 months than Preston did the entire time he was here

Whitters
Site Addict

Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:30 pm

Guest wrote:See what happens when they clear the snow off the pitch. :D

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xm5qm2 ... p=drivesdk

Thanks Guest.
He's like a left footed Coutinho.
He does everything Coutinho does.
Got to be worth at least a 10th of Coutinho's value

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:52 pm

Nice surprise. Went to bed a bit before kick off, woke up to this.

Well fone the lads.

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:56 pm

Exile wrote:Nice surprise. Went to bed a bit before kick off, woke up to this.

Well fone the lads.

I wouldn't fone em with the charges from NZ :mrgreen:

SWS11
UTS Regular

Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:00 pm

That's blurry great. If it was a clinical performance (which is what it sounds) then let's have more of those, please :D
Well done, the Lads. Made my wick end. :D

UTS Legend

Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:58 am

SoccerHQ wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:According to the onscreen tv guide, the "Goal Rush" programme has been cancelled by Channel 5 (only 5 games to cover, I suppose).

Yes that will happen as there wasn't that many championship games and it's on for the full hour.

They managed to fill 90 seconds of that hour with the Turkish Messi from Greenwich.

Watch it here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RYxtx6 ... p=drivesdk

chunkster
Site Addict

Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:24 pm

Guest wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:

They managed to fill 90 seconds of that hour with the Turkish Messi from Greenwich.

Watch it here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RYxtx6 ... p=drivesdk

what was his goal celebration about? it looked like he was trying to lift his shirt to show to fans?

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:00 pm

He became an uncle in the last few days so could've been a picture of the newly born.

chunkster
Site Addict

Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:08 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:He became an uncle in the last few days so could've been a picture of the newly born.
Oh right thanks, just watched again and he is indeed doing the rocking the baby in his arms thing :wink:

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:01 am

Was in Bury yesterday for a steam festival (two Jube's, Union of South Africa, City of Wells, and many more for the initiated) and a Bury fan stopped me to congratulate us on our fine victory, (I have a sticker in the back of my car). How long has it been since we have felt such pride at a weekend? I think the lads did it just for AM cus it was my 70th! :D :wink:

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:09 am

Glad you had a good birthday AM....a steam festival as well....blooming great. It is one of my interests too....anyway what does your sticker say?

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:05 pm

Walsallone wrote:Glad you had a good birthday AM....a steam festival as well....blooming great. It is one of my interests too....anyway what does your sticker say?

Beware... miserable old bugger on board!!

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:54 pm

hullsaddler wrote:
Walsallone wrote:Glad you had a good birthday AM....a steam festival as well....blooming great. It is one of my interests too....anyway what does your sticker say?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BTW -great win on Saturday. I was probably in the minority that wasn't surprised that we won. Bad weather often brings unpredictability. UTS.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:11 pm

hullsaddler wrote:

:D :D :D

Nice one Hull...I would not be so rude....I thought it would say 'I love Baka"

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:21 pm

" Jon Whitney Fan Club: North West Branch."

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:36 pm

“running in...please pass”

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:44 pm

Not any of the above ya cheeky buggers!!

It's actually a fine old self adhesive that we used to be able to get years back, that I have treasured "On the road with Walsall F.C." in full colour with our swift emblem, must say I have not seen another one like it in all my travels, but there has to be others with the same one somewhere!

And what do ya mean miserable? When has anyone EVER known me be a misery? Oh hang on a minute............ :D :D :wink:

layzeedude
UTS Regular

Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:27 pm

Updated my spaced out league table for the fun of it. Some daylight starting to open up between us and the dogfight.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:29 pm

layzeedude wrote:Updated my spaced out league table for the fun of it. Some daylight starting to open up between us and the dogfight.

Love seeing the table like that.Could you add the games played.

Previous
Return to 2017-18 Season