Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Peterborough United (A) Tue 27th Feb, 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
scott_powell
Site Addict

Re: Peterborough United (A) Tue 27th Feb, 7.45pm

Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:25 am

Walsallone wrote:Having seen those pictures it is clear the match should have been abandoned....in over 50 years of watching Walsall they are the worst I have come across and I remember some bad 'uns in the sixties and seventies. However as SADDLA says above having started the game the referee really had no choice once Peterborough took the lead.If it had been 1-1 I think he would have called it off. I notice the highlights don't show the incident where Dobson was booked for diving when from all accounts a penalty should have been awarded !!!!

No it shouldn't have been abandoned. The only abandoning I want to see is us abandoning Whitney!!

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:57 am

Please just sack him..

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:42 am

Awh how sweet it appears Swampy still has a soft spot for me. Bless his little heart, absence makes the heart grow fonder anyway... :lol:

I agree, once it got to 70 minutes it shouldn't have been abandoned. What I am saying is common sense should have prevailed early in the afternoon. There is storm called 'Beast from the East', Peterborough is East, just call the bloody thing off. It's the lowest league attendance Peterborough must have had in years and I can never remember us taking below 3 figures away before. Even if the game was playable its puts people at risk travelling. It's just my opinion of course, but I think it was crazy letting that go ahead.

We could play in quick sand away from home and we still wouldn't win. Now, the real issue, where's these accounts?

scott_powell
Site Addict

Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:46 am

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:Awh how sweet it appears Swampy still has a soft spot for me. Bless his little heart, absence makes the heart grow fonder anyway... :lol:

I agree, once it got to 70 minutes it shouldn't have been abandoned. What I am saying is common sense should have prevailed early in the afternoon. There is storm called 'Beast from the East', Peterborough is East, just call the bloody thing off. It's the lowest league attendance Peterborough must have had in years and I can never remember us taking below 3 figures away before. Even if the game was playable its puts people at risk travelling. It's just my opinion of course, but I think it was crazy letting that go ahead.

We could play in quick sand away from home and we still wouldn't win. Now, the real issue, where's these accounts?

What did Swampy say?! I do enjoy a good Swampy insult :lol: :D

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:57 am

scott_powell wrote:

I don't know, I didn't get to see it either :cry: :cry: :cry:

I'm surprised its taken him so long he's usually on my case straight away.

Surprised his current user name has lasted so long he's usually permanently banned by now :lol:

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:16 am

They say the sign of a good side is that they still win when they are playing poorly.

Surely therefore, by the same logic, the sign of a poor side is one that still loses when it is playing well?

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:28 am

Blimey I agree with you Phil...hence my comment earlier that this was a bad defeat! it has happened too many times this season with points thrown away by individual errors.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:54 am

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
scott_powell wrote:

Surprised his current user name has lasted so long he's usually permanently banned by now :lol:

Me and Swampy have had are tiffs but I quite like him. Makes me loff at times, especially his bluntness :lol:

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:58 am

Walsallone wrote:Blimey I agree with you Phil...hence my comment earlier that this was a bad defeat! it has happened too many times this season with points thrown away by individual errors.

Nail on the head Walsallone , we literally do just throw games away. Either the game is gone within the first 20 minutes or we concede immediately after scoring .. our game management is very poor hence our terrible away form.

Also Edwards now being injured is very concerning he does the work of 2 men at times.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:00 pm

Mazza01 wrote:
Walsallone wrote:Blimey I agree with you Phil...hence my comment earlier that this was a bad defeat! it has happened too many times this season with points thrown away by individual errors.

Nail on the head Walsallone , we literally do just throw games away. Either the game is gone within the first 20 minutes or we concede immediately after scoring .. our game management is very poor hence our terrible away form.

Also Edwards now being injured is very concerning he does the work of 2 men at times.

Good to see Walsallone seeing what we've seen since last season.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:02 pm

scott_powell wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
scott_powell wrote:

Me and Swampy have had are tiffs but I quite like him. Makes me loff at times, especially his bluntness :lol:

He's the kind of person that made me laugh when I was 20, now I'm 35 I avoid people like it. Lifes too short.

Put out the bunting, I actually agree with Phil too. Never thought I would see the day..... :wink: How many times do you see, hear or read that 'Walsall played well in patches...' and 'shouldn't have lost the game....'

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:55 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
scott_powell wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
scott_powell wrote:

He's the kind of person that made me laugh when I was 20, now I'm 35 I avoid people like it. Lifes too short.

Put out the bunting, I actually agree with Phil too. Never thought I would see the day..... :wink: How many times do you see, hear or read that 'Walsall played well in patches...' and 'shouldn't have lost the game....'

One thing that has wound me up over the last couple of games is the comment " deserved at least a draw" , I don't buy it one bit . If you consistently make mistakes then draws will turn into defeats. Mistakes define success at this level , the team that makes the least tends to have a push at promotion. Hence the need for a good manager.

over a long season you make your own luck.

PT
Site Addict

Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:16 pm

Mazza01 wrote:

The point about game management is spot on. In three of our last four games the score line has been 2-1 going into the last ten minutes. We were ahead in one and behind in the other two. In only one of those games was there an equaliser whilst in the other two, the game was seen our quite comfortably.

At Blackpool the turn of events from the moment we won a free-kick wide on the half way line to their equaliser was laughable. About 15 seconds worth of farce. Whilst Blackburn had weathered a storm during the second half against us they manufactured a last ten minutes where nothing happened other than time drifting away. Last night it looked like only one team was going to score after the delay for snow clearance- and it wasn’t us.

We just don’t seem to know how to deal with a limited number of scenarios at the end of a game. If we’re winning we get caught in between the whole corner flag routine and just carrying on as normal. If we’re losing we seem as concerned about losing by two than we do about really going for an equaliser.

Passion, energy and all the other stuff he comes out with are laudable attributes but without any semblance of plan they become bereft cliche more befitting of someone sat in row F than in the dougout actually trying to manufacture a win in a professional game of football.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:00 pm

I think a lot of these problems are down to inexperience and naivety and that was my biggest concern about the Manager before I joined those who think it best we change. The programme on Saturday showed we had 8 more professionals than Blackburn some of whom will never play for the first team and some who have played but regretfully aren't good enough. I posted some months ago that we had the balance wrong. I believe in our youth policy but we most be more selective in the players we retain. To make matters worse the Manager recruits loanees who are also very young. Some of them are talented but to bring them into a team which is already short on experience isn't good.
I know that the youngsters I referred to might not be on very much but in our current position I would suggest the money we spend could have been better spent on an experienced CH and striker. We now face the remainder of the season without one of our key players who I think is our second most experienced player!!! If Chambers gets injured(and I know he is past his best) we will be in a right mess.

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:12 pm

scott_powell wrote:Can’t we just end this now? Please Walsall FC? I beg you!!!

How can you possibly blame the manager for that result Scott. Get real :roll:

scott_powell
Site Addict

Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:18 pm

Optimistic wrote:

It was a more general point, but he chooses the players and sets them up, so I can blame him all I want. I blame him and the players. But these players under a better manager would be far more effective. What are you blaming? The snow? :roll: Get real you fool.

saddla
Site Addict

Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:02 pm

scott_powell wrote:
Optimistic wrote:

It was a more general point, but he chooses the players and sets them up, so I can blame him all I want. I blame him and the players. But these players under a better manager would be far more effective. What are you blaming? The snow? :roll: Get real you fool.

People are not fools because they disagree with you Scott.
I was there and the Peterborough players were playing the ball in the corner routine for the last 10 minutes.
Do you honestly believe that Devlin has been coached to pass the ball back to the keeper like he did last night? He cocked it up, underhit his pass not taking account of the conditions. Yet how many people on here have been saying he's a much better defender than Kinsella? I bet that Kinsella is back in the team on Saturday (if the game is played)
The other goal was caused by a pass from Oztumer going straight to one of their players, and he's not coached to do that either. Yet he is the second coming to many people on here who howl with dismay if he is put on the bench. It's bad decisions made by individual players at that specific time. It is very difficult to stop that happening at any level although we do seem to be prone to it a lot this season.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:13 pm

saddla wrote:
scott_powell wrote:
Optimistic wrote:

People are not fools because they disagree with you Scott.
I was there and the Peterborough players were playing the ball in the corner routine for the last 10 minutes.
Do you honestly believe that Devlin has been coached to pass the ball back to the keeper like he did last night? He cocked it up, underhit his pass not taking account of the conditions. Yet how many people on here have been saying he's a much better defender than Kinsella? I bet that Kinsella is back in the team on Saturday (if the game is played)
The other goal was caused by a pass from Oztumer going straight to one of their players, and he's not coached to do that either. Yet he is the second coming to many people on here who howl with dismay if he is put on the bench. It's bad decisions made by individual players at that specific time. It is very difficult to stop that happening at any level although we do seem to be prone to it a lot this season.

"fool" was in response to the "Get real" comment. My original point was a general statement. Optimistic is obviously too stupid to realise that. If you read, afterwards I said I blame him and the players, but a better manager would get more out these players in general, hense me wanting him gone. Both sets of players had to play on the same pitch in the same conditions and we lost. Simple as that. I know people aren't fools for disagreeing, I just think Optimistic's a deluded fool in general, a bit like Whitney.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:49 pm

Optimistic wrote:

I think he's trolling you Scott :lol:

After all its not like we wasn't 2-1 down before the heavy snow kicked in.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:58 pm

Mazza01 wrote:
Optimistic wrote:

If he is ... he got me

saddla
Site Addict

Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:39 pm

Mazza01 wrote:
Optimistic wrote:

It was 1-1 at half time when I took this photo:

scott_powell
Site Addict

Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:47 pm

saddla wrote:
Mazza01 wrote:
Optimistic wrote:

So Peterborough managed to score on it but we couldn't :roll:

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:20 pm

Scott. You're not factoring in that Peterborough raised their game because they were so miffed at Whitney turning them down. According to Optimistic, so determined were they to get him, they appear to have got permission to approach him in record time, and , I think, must have sent a helicopter so they could interview him so soon after sacking their previous manager,only for the ungrateful sod to turn them down. (All this while those idiots at VC had Steve Evans, obviously their second choice, a short priced favourite from Monday morning onwards. ) Surely you can see their additional motivation.

saddla
Site Addict

Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:22 pm

scott_powell wrote:
saddla wrote:
Mazza01 wrote:
Optimistic wrote:

So Peterborough managed to score on it but we couldn't :roll:

Yes because Oztumer gifted them the ball in our penalty area. :roll: :roll:

chunkster
Site Addict

Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:08 pm

scott_powell wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
scott_powell wrote:

ye i like the swampster, E dow care does he :lol: he's on my friends list :mrgreen:

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:51 pm

chunkster wrote:
scott_powell wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
scott_powell wrote:

ye i like the swampster, E dow care does he :lol: he's on my friends list :mrgreen:

Back after 24 hours on the "naughty step".
Forgot what it looked like down here :mrgreen:

scott_powell
Site Addict

Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:58 pm

swampysaddler wrote:
chunkster wrote:
scott_powell wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
scott_powell wrote:

Back after 24 hours on the "naughty step".
Forgot what it looked like down here :mrgreen:

Welcome back ya daft Scunthorpe :lol:

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:07 pm

Walsallone wrote:I think a lot of these problems are down to inexperience and naivety and that was my biggest concern about the Manager before I joined those who think it best we change. The programme on Saturday showed we had 8 more professionals than Blackburn some of whom will never play for the first team and some who have played but regretfully aren't good enough. I posted some months ago that we had the balance wrong. I believe in our youth policy but we most be more selective in the players we retain. To make matters worse the Manager recruits loanees who are also very young. Some of them are talented but to bring them into a team which is already short on experience isn't good.
I know that the youngsters I referred to might not be on very much but in our current position I would suggest the money we spend could have been better spent on an experienced CH and striker. We now face the remainder of the season without one of our key players who I think is our second most experienced player!!! If Chambers gets injured(and I know he is past his best) we will be in a right mess.

Blimus mate! Reality creeping in astoundingly, you have hit the nail right on the head, particularly with regard to young inexperienced loanees, we should have gone for experience, after all it's only till the end of the season.
Also with Ozzy playing as if his new paymasters are saying to him " don't be trying too hard, we don't want you injured before the new season begins!", we are looking likely to be sucked into the relegation mire once again, with a raft of seemingly unwinnable games ahead. Yes we look relatively safe at the moment but that condition may elapse alarmingly over the next month or so unless we can secure 3 pointers against Rochdale & Oldham!

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:14 pm

You do me a disservice AM :D and that is part of the problem with sites like this. Simply because I didn't keep shouting JW out never mean't that I didn't have concerns. Those concerns are greater now and I agree with you that we are in grave danger of the drop.

Kevlar
UTS Veteran

Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:18 pm

Walsallone wrote:................................... and I agree with you that we are in grave danger of the drop.

No chance .

With all the positves we've taken from matches this season , I expect us to finish near the top.

PreviousNext
Return to 2017-18 Season